Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

On 11/3/2021 at 2:14 PM, laurakaye said:

I would not put it past Meri to let things settle down a bit, and then one night she applies 17 coats of her very best mascara, crunches her hair just right, sidles up to Kody on the downlow and says, "so....with Christine gone, how are you fillin' about me now?  You know if Robyn's house gets too noisy, I've got a sweet 14-room house just a few blocks away, and I can fix up a room just for you, all cozy and quiet....I'm just sayin'.....lover."

Unfortunately for Meri, Kody's already got Janelle for a quiet break from Robyn's. I think that's why Kody and Janelle seem to get along pretty well. I'd bet that Kody's night at Janelle's house involves sitting in a couple of recliners watching TV, and that works fine for both of them.  I don't think Janelle asks for much from Kody, other than friendship, and Kody enjoys the quiet time away from demanding Robyn.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • LOL 1
  • Love 21

Meri goes from her unhealthy family into the unhealthy community of LLR. Unfortunately she wouldn't know what a healthy relationship was even if it slapped her in the face. Of course, she is a big contributor to that problem.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

Unfortunately for Meri, Kody's already got Janelle for a quiet break from Robyn's. I think that's why Kody and Janelle seem to get along pretty well. I'd bet that Kody's night at Janelle's house involves sitting in a couple of recliners watching TV, and that works fine for both of them.  I don't think Janelle asks for much from Kody, other than friendship, and Kody enjoys the quiet time away from demanding Robyn.

This.

Meri is too needy, dramatic and also demanding (last thing Kodster needs is another demanding woman, and one he doesn’t even like at that).

Every time we see Meri and Kody talk, actually talk, Meri tries to reel him back in. She can’t let it go and her attempts are cringe-worthy and so awkward. There’s nothing alluring about Meri, physically or personality-wise. I don’t think he ever felt true love for her, especially given he said she managed to trick him into marrying her (that I actually believe because, MERI). 

It seems Robyn was what Kody actually wanted in a partner. He truly loves that woman, no matter how demanding Robyn can be. You can see it in his eyes. With Meri, you can see he just wants the scenes to be over with. 

Janelle occasionally has outbursts where she says she’s unhappy, but she backs down and seems content to stay where she’s at. Meri will continue to be the mosquito he can’t seem to get rid of. 

• Love 12
51 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

This.

Meri is too needy, dramatic and also demanding (last thing Kodster needs is another demanding woman, and one he doesn’t even like at that).

Every time we see Meri and Kody talk, actually talk, Meri tries to reel him back in. She can’t let it go and her attempts are cringe-worthy and so awkward. There’s nothing alluring about Meri, physically or personality-wise. I don’t think he ever felt true love for her, especially given he said she managed to trick him into marrying her (that I actually believe because, MERI). 

It seems Robyn was what Kody actually wanted in a partner. He truly loves that woman, no matter how demanding Robyn can be. You can see it in his eyes. With Meri, you can see he just wants the scenes to be over with. 

Janelle occasionally has outbursts where she says she’s unhappy, but she backs down and seems content to stay where she’s at. Meri will continue to be the mosquito he can’t seem to get rid of. 

I interpret Meri's behavior as complete arrogance.  She cannot acknowledge even to herself, that she has been replaced.   It would not surprise me to find that her goal is to have Kody declare that she was his first and only true love, then walk away believing she would always be the Queen Bee. (Ain't gonna happen).

I think when Kody referred to Meri "tricking him into marriage" was when he gave voice to his awareness that Meri was not as onboard with polygamy as she had led him to believe.  She never had any intention to live in harmony with other women unless they too prostrated themselves at the altar of Meri.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Love 11

I'll give Meri some credit in feeling she really did want to live a plural life but...

I think she found out early on the plural lifestyle wasn't for her and she knowingly sabotaged it from the beginning. After pushing out their first potential second wife, I think Meri set out to find women who she considered less visually appealing than her.

But Christine has admitted she was shifty too. She wanted to be the third wife, hoping most of the plural bullshit was worked out and so she could be the young one.

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'll give Meri some credit in feeling she really did want to live a plural life but...

I think she found out early on the plural lifestyle wasn't for her and she knowingly sabotaged it from the beginning. After pushing out their first potential second wife, I think Meri set out to find women who she considered less visually appealing than her.

But Christine has admitted she was shifty too. She wanted to be the third wife, hoping most of the plural bullshit was worked out and so she could be the young one.

Yep, and you only need three for the celestial kingdom, right? If your partial husband is not a narcissist, and is realistic and caring about the needs of three women (which....lol), he'd know to stop at three. But no one cared to see the personality beyond the ringlets, and no one banked on the Dark Wife becoming the permanently favored one.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I think when Kody referred to Meri "tricking him into marriage" was when he gave voice to his awareness that Meri was not as onboard with polygamy as she had led him to believe.  She never had any intention to live in harmony with other women unless they too prostrated themselves at the altar of Meri.

Wasn't she something like 19 when she told him she wanted to live the lifestyle? I believe she thought she did but...

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

^ this

• Love 9
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I’m chuckling because of all of them, Meri is by far the ugliest one. 

And then along came Robyn, a real life Barbie compared to the rest of them. Meri’s plan didn’t work so well because Kody was (and still is) in love with Robyn. 

• Love 12

I guess it’s one thing to say you want a sister wife but another to see the man you love hug, cuddle and kiss another woman. Not to mention seeing them disappear to their own bedroom together. I suspect many people underestimate this psychological aspect of the deal. And definitely an insecure, jealous and self-centred woman like Meri.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

Meri & the LuLaNo Scammer in Chief must have gotten their makeup done together to match.  Meri doesn't have her usual thickly applied black eyeliner on her lower lids, but does have a starburst (reminiscent of ass fire) coming out of the outer corners of her eyes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Discussing whether Meri did, or did not, ever intend to truly want a polygamous life, and whether she intentionally sabotaged the relationship with the second wife (Janelle) - I think it's good to remember that this second wife was the EX-WIFE of Meri's BROTHER.  I have no love for Meri - but good lord.  That is a lot to handle on top of dealing with normal poly BS.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, Xena said:

Discussing whether Meri did, or did not, ever intend to truly want a polygamous life, and whether she intentionally sabotaged the relationship with the second wife (Janelle) - I think it's good to remember that this second wife was the EX-WIFE of Meri's BROTHER.  I have no love for Meri - but good lord.  That is a lot to handle on top of dealing with normal poly BS.

The pool of prospective wives must be very limited and I agree that the concept of your husband "marrying" your former SIL seems outrageous to outsiders.  In their book, there is no mention of the fact that Janelle had been married to Meri's brother, only that the intent was to marry on Meri's birthday.  As if it was more offensive WHEN he was marrying, than WHO.  Joe Darger married 2 sisters and their cousin and it seems to be working out just fine for them, they share a large home and even a kitchen.

It's been said that the courtship of Janelle/Kody began behind Meri's back and I have heard them acknowledge only one lunch date.  However, there must have been at least a few days notice of their intent to wed.  Where was this Strong Woman's voice then?  From all accounts, Meri and Kody were still enraptured with each other and it's my understanding that the prior wife (wives) must give approval and consent to subsequent wives.  We saw Kody seeking feedback from the whole family, kids included, when he intended to marry Robyn.

What would Kody's reaction have been if Meri had taken a stand and said NOPE, I agreed to polygamy but not with my SIL, it's her or me.  Instead, Meri the gutless wonder, grudgingly went along and took comfort in building walls to make life hell on earth for all.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

In their book, there is no mention of the fact that Janelle had been married to Meri's brother, only that the intent was to marry on Meri's birthday. 

I agree with your post and I get what you are saying...the emphasis was on the wedding date, not the fact that she'd been married to Meri's brother. 

However, for people who have not read the book, I just wanted to point out, there's not "no mention" of J being married to M's brother. It's mentioned, in some detail. 

On the show that it is glossed over as if it never happened, which irritates me to no end! But in the book Janelle writes about her wedding to Adam Barber and even some details of why it ended.

But in Meri's section, she talks about how they had originally planned to get married on her birthday, and does not admit to have any feelings about the fact that this was her former SIL.

But I think she had to have had SOME feelings about that...either that, or she just hated Janelle for some other reason, because Meri was extremely cruel to Janelle once the marriage took place.

I think Meri was going to belittle, degrade, and ridicule anyone who came into the family, and I think that is what Kody means when he says she "tricked" him - that she said she wanted to live plural marriage, but then was viciously cruel to J & C. I think Meri and Kody had that discussion before the show even started - after years of emotional abuse towards J & C, Kody finally called her on it - and Meri bringing Robyn in and being so nicey-nice to her was partly because Kody had criticized her on that. Her marriage was on the rocks and she made a last-ditch effort to show what a good, enthusiastic sister wife she could be.

This might be how they talked Meri into giving up her legal marriage, and it might even be the reason she STILL sucks up to Robyn to this day. She is trying to live down her abusive, mean-girl reputation in this family.

But Meri IS an abusive mean-girl, and it still comes out.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
On 11/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, LilyD said:

Mariah will side with Kody like she did before so she’ll lose her only child as well.

Here’s why I don’t think that will happen.  Kootie gives Mariah nothing.  I would be surprised if he even talks to her on the phone.  If she ever gets married and becomes useful to him, he may adjust that behavior.  Then he will become the proud father of the bride.  Meri has supported Mariah all along and I believe Mariah gets money, living space and whatever else she needs from Meri.  If she sides with Kootie, how can she expect that to continue?

• Love 12
1 minute ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

Meri has supported Mariah all along and I believe Mariah gets money, living space and whatever else she needs from Meri.  If she sides with Kootie, how can she expect that to continue?

I get what you are saying, but you're thinking like a rational, logical person. You can't do that with these folks! 😜

Mariah will expect it to continue no matter how she treats Meri simply because she is Mariah - spoiled brat, outrageously entitled Mariah.

And Meri will continue it no matter what, because she has alienated everyone else in her life - no one else in the entire family will have anything to do with her, and it appears Maddie has decreed that Meri is never to be in her presence again. (Meri had "things to do" when Maddie first brought Evie for a visit? Puh-leeeeeze! She was not invited!)

Mariah can basically do whatever unfair thing she wants to Meri and get away with it, because Meri has no one else.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
45 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

I agree with your post and I get what you are saying...the emphasis was on the wedding date, not the fact that she'd been married to Meri's brother. 

However, for people who have not read the book, I just wanted to point out, there's not "no mention" of J being married to M's brother. It's mentioned, in some detail. 

On the show that it is glossed over as if it never happened, which irritates me to no end! But in the book Janelle writes about her wedding to Adam Barber and even some details of why it ended.

But in Meri's section, she talks about how they had originally planned to get married on her birthday, and does not admit to have any feelings about the fact that this was her former SIL.

Mea culpa!!!  I must confess I have only read excerpts from the book and erroneously assumed because it has not been mentioned on the show, it wasn't in the book either.  Thank you for this information.

Your comment is spot on!

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Mea culpa!!!  I must confess I have only read excerpts from the book and erroneously assumed because it has not been mentioned on the show, it wasn't in the book either.  Thank you for this information.

Your comment is spot on!

Thanks! Yes, for some bizarre reason, they felt just fine discussing Janelle's first marriage to Meri's brother in the book, yet refuse to acknowledge it on the show. 

It's maddening - it's as if they think viewers are so stupid, if they don't come right out and say it on the show, no one will ever find out. EVERYONE knows it.

So....is it just me, or does anyone else hope that every week, Adam Barber settles in to watch Sister Wives with a beautiful, successful, loving wife and together they laugh at the lump that is Janelle, and how she traded him in for the likes of Kody Brown? 🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Xena said:

Kody's declaration of "Meri tricked him" was such a dick move.  In his little mind he is only going on the superficial promise of a young, emotionally immature girl who was ga-ga for him. She agreed to polygamy somehow means in his mind that she may never EVER complain about it.  She must follow all the rules of being a Stepford poly wife with a smile never leaving her face.

Meri wanted Kody.  Kody wanted polygamy.  The ONLY thing I agree with on Kody's side, is that you must be very clear with your first wife pre marriage that the polygamous family is open and clearly on the table. Meri wanted Kody enough to agree.  She had only seen polygamy from a child's perspective.  Adults making it work and women hiding their feelings. A passive aggressive cage match.

I call bullsh!t on the whole "wives must agree" that they tried to spin from the beginning.  Kody didn't really do that with Meri or Christine.  I have a feeling in his little mind he assumed that Meri and Janelle were friendly and so they could easily make it work.  Because he is clueless about emotional maturity or respect for the emotional and mental health of the women he calls wives.

Meri, Janelle and Kody are all to blame for the issues in the beginning.  He put them both in the same house and turned and left for work assuming that the scriptures would be their guidance.  If you are unhappy, pray until you are happy. There was no meeting of the minds and planning of anything. 30+ years later Kody can't even plan one day in advance to let anyone know what he is doing that day. Meri reacted how she reacted, she had had 3 years with Kody to develop a strong claim on him, and then comes along Janelle, who is only going by what others tell her, that new wives are brought into some glory moment from the sacred blessings and everything is joy. 🙄

None of them can communicate with each other. Meri is aggressive, but people discount Janelle's passiveness as well. Passive silence is just as difficult to deal with, but in a different way.  When they did have their Nancy time upteen years later the one thing Meri was oddly specific about was her insistence that Janelle NOT shut down and say things are "fine" when they are clearly not.  Its obvious that is exactly what Janelle did all those years ago. 

People will butt heads when they don't see the other perspective.  Janelle does this even now.  When Christine said that Ysabel was being bullied at school, Janelle immediately denied the possibility because neither of her children told stories like that (but there was always the possibility that her kids did experience it, but not tell her).  They are very different children and have different experiences, yet Janelle almost called Christine a liar just because she had not had that experience, so it could not be true. I think Janelle and Kody get along in a very different way because they kind of think alike to a certain extent, and they definitely both have repressed emotions and an inability to process their own emotions, see through the experience of others and to use the Browns favorite word...validate others.

• Love 24
10 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

Thanks! Yes, for some bizarre reason, they felt just fine discussing Janelle's first marriage to Meri's brother in the book, yet refuse to acknowledge it on the show. 

It's maddening - it's as if they think viewers are so stupid, if they don't come right out and say it on the show, no one will ever find out. EVERYONE knows it.

So....is it just me, or does anyone else hope that every week, Adam Barber settles in to watch Sister Wives with a beautiful, successful, loving wife and together they laugh at the lump that is Janelle, and how she traded him in for the likes of Kody Brown? 🤣

I noted with interest that only Kody showed up for the ribbon cutting ceremony of the BnB and assumed Janelle excused herself on the grounds that her former husband and in-laws would be there.

However, this didn't stop Janelle from attending Bonnie's funeral, and good for her to pay the respect to her former MIL.  The part that floored me was Kody and Janelle engaging in a lip-lock in the parking lot where the event took place.  It was probably the most intimate encounter I have ever seen them display and it seemed inappropriate for the time and place. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

The part that floored me was Kody and Janelle engaging in a lip-lock in the parking lot where the event took place.  It was probably the most intimate encounter I have ever seen them display and it seemed inappropriate for the time and place. 

Totally agree. And this is a great example of what @Roslyn was just saying above...Meri is more obviously aggressive, but Janelle does plenty of crap, in her own, more passive, way.

Meri's mom's funeral was no place for those two idiots to be engaging in a spirited bout of Skanko-Roman wrestling. With all that was going on (or not going on) in Meri and Kody's marriage, it's hard to think of a less appropriate time!

I have no love for Meri, and according to the book Meri engaged in plenty of tonsil hockey with Kody right in front of Janelle when the three of them lived together...but at some point Janelle could perhaps say, we're all around 50 years old now and this is her mother's funeral, maybe we should grow the hell up.

The competition and pettiness with this bunch is disgusting.

• Love 20

I thought in an early episode, they did some 'going down memory lane' thing on a visit to somewhere in Utah (or Wyoming maybe) and discussed the different ways Janelle's family was intertwined with both Meri's and Kody's. I think they kind of laughed it off and said it was kind of normal with in the polyg community.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I thought in an early episode, they did some 'going down memory lane' thing on a visit to somewhere in Utah (or Wyoming maybe) and discussed the different ways Janelle's family was intertwined with both Meri's and Kody's. I think they kind of laughed it off and said it was kind of normal with in the polyg community.

They did, but they only addressed how it came about that Kody's dad was married to Janelle's mom.

No mention was made of Janelle having been married to Meri's brother at one time, though.

• Love 3
Just now, Sasha888 said:

They did, but they only addressed how it came about that Kody's dad was married to Janelle's mom.

No mention was made of Janelle having been married to Meri's brother at one time, though.

Huh, I knew that information about the brother, but I've never read their book.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Janelle was married to Meri's brother!   She wanted to marry Kody but had to wait for her divorce to be finalized first.  That took place in 1990. 

I want Meri to hang on  - only to annoy Kody, but to pressure them into she only leaves if they buy her out of the Coyote Pass property.  Otherwise she has an interest.   Robyn always went along with the one big house idea, knowing it would never happen.  Well, guess what - if it's just Robyn and Janelle left - she could be in for a rude awakening!!!!  Kody, Robyn and Janelle in the same house!!!!   While Christine and Meri get their cut of the property, which would mean having to sell the property (because Kody can't afford to buy them out, so a sale is the only solution).   Yeah, wipe that smirk off your face Robyn - Janelle is moving in!

Oh, one more thing.  Yes, the "regular" and even somewhat removed LDS can request to be unsealed.  But remember we are dealing with the Church of Kody!  They have no church, so who would they ask? 

Edited by notnowimbusy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Roslyn said:

I call bullsh!t on the whole "wives must agree" that they tried to spin from the beginning.  Kody didn't really do that with Meri or Christine.

Your entire post was brilliant but wanted to respond to this specifically: Yes, this is what they preach. In reality, both in the book and the first episodes, Christine mentioned several times that she was completely kept out of the loop regarding Robyn! It already was a done deal between Meri, Robyn and Kody. She was the last to meet Robyn and her objections to the marriage were completely ignored. Imagine having to go through that and being pregnant? 

As for Kody and Janelle: I agree with you as well. But there are a lot of practical considerations to that relationship too. They both wanted a buddy they could talk to on the same level and about shared interests. Plus they seem to have the same take on life. Add to that Janelle’s calm demeanor and dislike for drama. I’m quite sure Kody has used Janelle as a safe haven for years, simply to be away from all the drama, stress and demands of the other three.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

Oh, one more thing.  Yes, the "regular" and even somewhat removed LDS can request to be unsealed.  But remember we are dealing with the Church of Kody!  They have no church, so who would they ask? 

. A lot of religions do not accept a legal divorce because marriage is for life. it’s my guess that their original religion/church still considers Kody and Meri and Kody and Christine married

Is it important? Probably not as they are  his third and forth wives, so no legal marriage to start with. It would only matter if they wished to rejoin the same church and marry someone else. Then they’d need an unsealment or whatever it’s called. 
Both are free to find new partners and contract a legal marriage, unsealed or not. The only issue may be their personal faith, but as a lot of people have noted; they are not that religious….if at all! So why bother?

Edited by LilyD
  • Love 6

I knew a woman who was very involved in the Catholic church.  She had been married for over 30 years, then divorced.  Somehow, magically, she was able to receive an annulment due to something - poof marriage never happened! 

Because LDS and the offshoots believe you are not only married in this life, but in the afterlife, getting unsealed is a big deal.  I knew a couple deep in LDS in Utah, married in the Temple, etc.  Divorced, and it was a major goal to get unsealed from ex-husband (who had left the church). 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Meri needs to find some self-respect. All the unhappiness multiplied since Robyn joined the family. Of course Meri's first mistake was endorsing Robyn, but her second big mistake was not asking Kody for alimony. After all, she WAS his legal wife...and I don't believe their cockamamie story that she willingly divorced Kody so he could legally adopt Robyn's kids. Nice story, but pure bullshit. So now, Meri, you are nothing more than the ex-wife. Go find yourself a real Sam. You're still young by today's standards, so why pretend Kody's ever going to wake and realize that you're his one true love?

• Love 8
5 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

Me too, but I saw it here.

In the beginning I watched the Browns with my daughter and we discussed the BIL and step-mother thing. My daughter and I haven't watched the show together in a long time. I'm guessing we heard it during a panel interview or something, because I'm fairly certain its something we watched, not read.

The Brown's did a number of interviews prior to the show, and as the show was rolled out. Many folks thought Robyn came into the family after the show began, but she was actually on from the beginning, but wasn't included in the publicity interviews prior to the show's start.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

Meri needs to find some self-respect. All the unhappiness multiplied since Robyn joined the family. Of course Meri's first mistake was endorsing Robyn, but her second big mistake was not asking Kody for alimony. After all, she WAS his legal wife...and I don't believe their cockamamie story that she willingly divorced Kody so he could legally adopt Robyn's kids. Nice story, but pure bullshit. So now, Meri, you are nothing more than the ex-wife. Go find yourself a real Sam. You're still young by today's standards, so why pretend Kody's ever going to wake and realize that you're his one true love?

Ya know I go back and forth wondering if meri is delusional or calculating—maybe it’s both. There are always episodes where she’s trying to flirt with Kody and he’s repulsed—is that her doing, or the producers? Either way, Kody isn’t having it. 

Meri may be “young” by today’s standards but she needs a personality overhaul. I think at her core, she’s deeply angry, bitter and confrontational. She tries to display a “happy” persona, but I don’t buy it. Meri is a stompy, lumbering, frumpy sourpuss.

There may be someone for everyone, but they won’t be lining up for Scary Meri. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Ya know I go back and forth wondering if meri is delusional or calculating—maybe it’s both. There are always episodes where she’s trying to flirt with Kody and he’s repulsed—is that her doing, or the producers? Either way, Kody isn’t having it. 

Meri may be “young” by today’s standards but she needs a personality overhaul. I think at her core, she’s deeply angry, bitter and confrontational. She tries to display a “happy” persona, but I don’t buy it. Meri is a stompy, lumbering, frumpy sourpuss.

There may be someone for everyone, but they won’t be lining up for Scary Meri. 

Your post reflects my thoughts too.

I think Meri is both delusional and calculating, including using her 'happy' persona as a calculated dig at her sister wives and Kody. But I really think she's waiting for Kody to take her back.

I also agree she is a vessel of all kinds of negativity and is toxic to everyone she comes in contact with.

Robyn proved to be the master manipulator, who could even out-manipulate Meri. A very hard task indeed, but Robyn did it.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

I knew a woman who was very involved in the Catholic church.  She had been married for over 30 years, then divorced.  Somehow, magically, she was able to receive an annulment due to something - poof marriage never happened! 

Because LDS and the offshoots believe you are not only married in this life, but in the afterlife, getting unsealed is a big deal.  I knew a couple deep in LDS in Utah, married in the Temple, etc.  Divorced, and it was a major goal to get unsealed from ex-husband (who had left the church). 

Catholic annullment is not poof. It took my uncle 5 years to dump wife 2 ( first two marriage Methodist)and marry #3.

For LDS I would think his leaving the church would have been sufficient reason for annullment.

I hope Christine only needs Kody's permission to move on and stay in her faith rather than a huge to do in the church.

But both Robyn and Janelle were married before so it doesn't really seem to be a huge deal.

• Love 5

Cancellation of sealing has its own rules: 

https://www.learnreligions.com/cancellation-of-temple-marriage-2159556

But that is LDS and apparently AUB may have their own similar or different rules and we don't know Christine's religious leanings or plans at the moment.  She could decide to become agnostic or Lutheran.  It's doubtful, but possible.  

A Catholic decree of nullity has its own rules and seems a much more involved and pricey procedure.   One doesn't seem to indicate the marriage was null from the beginning while the other supposedly means a valid (according to church view point) marriage never existed.  

• Useful 3
6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Cancellation of sealing has its own rules: 

https://www.learnreligions.com/cancellation-of-temple-marriage-2159556

But that is LDS and apparently AUB may have their own similar or different rules and we don't know Christine's religious leanings or plans at the moment.  She could decide to become agnostic or Lutheran.  It's doubtful, but possible.  

A Catholic decree of nullity has its own rules and seems a much more involved and pricey procedure.   One doesn't seem to indicate the marriage was null from the beginning while the other supposedly means a valid (according to church view point) marriage never existed. 

Hmm. After reading this, and knowing that Janelle converted to marry Kody from Mainstream LDS, I wonder if she never had an unsealing from her first husband because she possibly didn't need one.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

Catholic annullment is not poof. It took my uncle 5 years to dump wife 2 ( first two marriage Methodist)and marry #3.

Agreed, you have to build a strong case to prove an annulment is justified and the only option. Also; any children born from a marriage that is annulled afterwards will be considered illegitimate, because an annulled marriage is a marriage that never happened. And that means that the children are born out of wedlock. Of course this isn’t such a big deal anymore nowadays, but it is a very painful situation for any kids involved…

• Useful 5

Kids born to a marriage granted a decree of nullity are no longer considered illegitimate if they ever were.

It is a common misconception that an annulment makes children illegitimate in church law. That is false; it does not! Of course, a Catholic annulment is a separate process from a civil divorce, but the Church will ask if the civil obligations are being fulfilled.

Which is all irrelevant to the Browns as LDS and I presume AUB children are sealed to the birth parents and that doesn't change even if the sealing of the parents is cancelled.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, MsTree said:

Maybe getting to keep her Lularo money and having the B&B are her alimony?

Same with Christine, hopefully getting to keep the proceeds from the sale of her house.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I think at her core, she’s deeply angry, bitter and confrontational. She tries to display a “happy” persona, but I don’t buy it. Meri is a stompy, lumbering, frumpy sourpuss.

I agree...and wonder if most of her anger is projected inwards. Sometimes when we make mistakes, we get so angry at ourselves...playing the scenario over & over. Meri has made more than one big mistake, so initially I could understand her anger...but now it's time for her to move forward. And if she can't, then that's only going to compound her issues.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

I agree...and wonder if most of her anger is projected inwards. Sometimes when we make mistakes, we get so angry at ourselves...playing the scenario over & over. Meri has made more than one big mistake, so initially I could understand her anger...but now it's time for her to move forward. And if she can't, then that's only going to compound her issues.

But she doesn’t seem to be projecting inwards—she blames others for her woes. She’s angry at everyone *but* herself.  Meri would need to do some honest, painful introspection and move forward from that. 

A lot of people may say “well maybe she has and you don’t know that”—maybe, but her behavior and responses are still those of a person who doesn’t want to take responsibility or change her toxic behavior. 

People who have truly gone through introspection and soul-searching are changed people. They’re more kind, they're truly sorry for hurting others, they’re less angry, they’re less “loud” about their lives.

Meri displays none of those things—instead, her rug keeps getting taller with everything she keeps sweeping under it and her persona more fake as time goes on. 

• Love 20

I go back and forth wondering if Meri might have Borderline Personality Disorder. Folks with BPD walk around with their feelings raw and exposed. No matter how much work they do on themselves, most never rid themselves of the push/pull, love/hate default mode.

One reason I doubt she does is, folks with BPD suffer in the real world, so living in a plural marriage would be a torture I'm fairly certain they couldn't manage for a week, never mind 25+ years.

Then there's Histrionic Personality Disorder, which Meri might meet the criteria for.

Of course she could have neither and just be a mean girl, or she could have either and just be at the mild end of the spectrum.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2