Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Meri had been raised in polygamy and Kody was a recent convert to the concept when they married.  He may have been gung-ho to give it a try but in Meri's own words, she was equally eager to live the life.

If you go over to the thread "Books and Documentaries About Polygamy...." and scroll back to Ginger 90's April 12th post, you will find an excerpt from their book.  This excerpt deals with the courtship of Kody and Meri and the very last paragraph deals with Meri's and Kody's mutual decision to embrace polygamy.

Just my opinion, but I don't feel that Kody defrauded Meri at all, if anything, she defrauded him by leading him to believe that this was her calling.  She may not have come to this realization until after marriage but the time to state her misgivings and change of heart would have been during the first 3 years of marriage, before accepting another wife to the fold.

Thanks for the info, Sandy! In that case, I  wouldn't say he defrauded her, either.

But he seems like just the sort of selfish so and so that I feel he probably didn't spend much time worrying about whether or not to add wives when he felt like it.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I forgot about the potential bride that fell through.  I wonder what she was like?

Someone should track her down and interview her for us! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I was reading through the catfish pages and I was surprised that I'd forgotten certain things like Meri "liking" a twitter post that blasted Kody\Robyn about the divorce.... Do we know if she ever said anything about it?

And Dakota it was so impressive how you put together the LIV MLM connection long before that information was available, I want you as my Private Investigator if I ever need one!!  👍

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Kody also needed spawn to prove to his high school classmates that he wasn't gay.  Meri wasn't getting pregnant, so he married his sister-in-law and then plyg royalty to up his chances.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Meri had been raised in polygamy and Kody was a recent convert to the concept when they married.  He may have been gung-ho to give it a try but in Meri's own words, she was equally eager to live the life.

If you go over to the thread "Books and Documentaries About Polygamy...." and scroll back to Ginger 90's April 12th post, you will find an excerpt from their book.  This excerpt deals with the courtship of Kody and Meri and the very last paragraph deals with Meri's and Kody's mutual decision to embrace polygamy.

Just my opinion, but I don't feel that Kody defrauded Meri at all, if anything, she defrauded him by leading him to believe that this was her calling.  She may not have come to this realization until after marriage but the time to state her misgivings and change of heart would have been during the first 3 years of marriage, before accepting another wife to the fold.

Meri lived a sheltered life and was brought up in the culture of polygamy. At age 19, she would have no idea of what her feelings and true beliefs might actually be even in the first 3 years of marriage. I'm sure she knew she felt jealous, unhappy, and bitter. But I doubt she would be able to form and communicate a mature opinion about what those feelings might actually mean. I don't believe she defrauded Kody. I do believe she was confused.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
29 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Meri lived a sheltered life and was brought up in the culture of polygamy. At age 19, she would have no idea of what her feelings and true beliefs might actually be even in the first 3 years of marriage. I'm sure she knew she felt jealous, unhappy, and bitter. But I doubt she would be able to form and communicate a mature opinion about what those feelings might actually mean. I don't believe she defrauded Kody. I do believe she was confused.

Actually, I still don’t think she’s capable of doing this.  I agree I don’t think she defrauded Kody.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Actually, I still don’t think she’s capable of doing this.  I agree I don’t think she defrauded Kody.

Agree.  Kootie will say or do anything that he thinks makes him look like a victim.  Just because he claims Meri somehow defrauded him, doesn't mean she did.  It doesn't even mean he actually believes she did.  

He wants to have his cake and eat it too, so to speak.  I believe he initiated the divorce and dropped Meri for Robyn, yet he still wants to be the injured party in the relationship.  Unfortunately, Meri played right into his hands with the whole catfish episode, and Kootie will never in a million years admit his actions were what left her so emotionally vulnerable. 

• Love 19
On 4/20/2020 at 10:08 PM, Tuxcat said:

That’s my guess, too. I suspect she never really questioned anything about it since that was her upbringing. The idea of this “lifestyle” being tied to Heaven must be very powerful when that’s the world you grow up in. I think most likely she went into the marriage with the full intent of living polygamy. Then Kody brings home Meri’s own SIL as Wife #2 and OMG. It must have been awful. 

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

That’s my guess, too. I suspect she never really questioned anything about it since that was her upbringing. The idea of this “lifestyle” being tied to Heaven must be very powerful when that’s the world you grow up in. I think most likely she went into the marriage with the full intent of living polygamy. Then Kody brings home Meri’s own SIL as Wife #2 and OMG. It must have been awful. 

Plus I think she was deeply in love with Kody. Having Janelle pursue him (and based on what I've read, in polygamy presumably the woman initiates the courtship by making her preference known) must have tortured Meri to no end. 

I still think that Janelle divorced her first husband to make herself available for Kody once she got the hots for him. The divorce didn't happen until after Meri and Kody got married, from what I've read.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
On 4/20/2020 at 10:08 PM, Tuxcat said:

I agree. Kody was the "catch" of the town, Meri was no stunner and from photos  looked to be quite plain. I think she did fall in love with him and once that happened he took on another spiritual wife, one that was married to her brother. I can see her as a jealous person, I know I was when I was in my early 20's and an ex had moved on to someone else, but thankfully I didn't have to live in a double wide with them. However, I don't excuse the behavior she showed Janelle 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
9 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Who's taking all these pictures of herself? Does she have a full time photographer following her around. 

Probably does the same thing I do. 

Uses the front-facing camera on her phone, sets the 10 second delay timer - voila. 

Then she does that 20 times, finds the best photo, filters the living shit out of it, and posts to Instagram.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Probably does the same thing I do. 

Uses the front-facing camera on her phone, sets the 10 second delay timer - voila. 

Then she does that 20 times, finds the best photo, filters the living shit out of it, and posts to Instagram.

This.  In this one, Meri filtered away the sagging jowls and added clumpy tarantula eyes. 

If Meri has some things she wants fixed, she can afford to have products/procedures. Why the filtering? She looks like 2 different people when she does this shit. 

• Love 5

tayi gThose chairs looks SO comfy. Not.

That kind of crap is why you wouldn't catch me ever staying in a B&B. Not my cup of tea at all. Imagine trying to sit there and relax and read a book. I would feel like I was in the electric chair.

Edited by Kohola3
Voice recognition doesn't.
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4

I love old stuff, and most of my furniture other than the bed is used.  But upholstered chairs and sofas need to be comfortable.  Those chairs are stiff and unyielding, much like their owner.  No thank you, please.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Lace table cloth - so easy to keep COVID-free. Not.

Yeah..... she said that essential workers can stay there... how many essential workers do you think pass through that town that need to stay the night there?  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Yeah..... she said that essential workers can stay there... how many essential workers do you think pass through that town that need to stay the night there?  

And I'm sure granny's house is the first place a trucker would choose to stay.  Truckers do not live on cheese, crackers, and cinnamon rolls.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

tayi gThose chairs looks SO comfy. Not.

That kind of crap is why you wouldn't catch me ever staying in a B&B. Not my cup of tea at all. Imagine trying to sit there and relax and read a book. I would feel like I was in the electric chair.

To me Lizzie’s appears very stodgy and stiff. More like a museum versus a comfy place I’d wanna sleep at (besides, I need a pool). I might want to walk through and then leave. Certainly not stay. 

I know some folks like ‘em but not my cup of tea either. I really hate human contact during breakfast time—let me grab my coffee and boiled egg and go without speaking a word to anyone. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I know some folks like ‘em but not my cup of tea either. I really hate human contact during breakfast time—let me grab my coffee and boiled egg and go without speaking a word to anyone. 

We stayed in B&Bs all over the U.K. and they were lovely.   There are trade-offs with a B&B and a hotel, but I think I prefer hotels.  Other countries don't do daily showers like Americans do, and there just wasn't the water pressure and temperature that I like, but that was pretty petty in the grand scheme of things.  The people were wonderful and with one exception VERY friendly. I enjoyed visiting with them.

AND - although we were always prepared a very nice breakfast (not just rolls and juice/coffee) - no one EVER sat with us - not once.  They did have several small tables set up at one place so that families could sit apart, but we were the only ones eating at that time.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

We stayed in B&Bs all over the U.K. and they were lovely.   There are trade-offs with a B&B and a hotel, but I think I prefer hotels.  Other countries don't do daily showers like Americans do, and there just wasn't the water pressure and temperature that I like, but that was pretty petty in the grand scheme of things.  The people were wonderful and with one exception VERY friendly. I enjoyed visiting with them.

AND - although we were always prepared a very nice breakfast (not just rolls and juice/coffee) - no one EVER sat with us - not once.  They did have several small tables set up at one place so that families could sit apart, but we were the only ones eating at that time.  

I prefer hotels, too. I did the hostel thing when I was younger, bumming around Israel with a couple others on weekends from work. I had no problems with tiny showers or none at all (they did have an olympic size pool at the kibbutz). I've also worked in the backcountry for weeks at a time where the only bathing was the 42 degree Merced river (Yosemite). Nowadays, I seek out comfort and solitude and my daily bubble bath. 

I've also been VERY spoiled by Las Vegas "staycations" when we lived there (rooms with pool tables, elevators, for not-as-much as you'd think). The thought of Lizzie's B&B would be a can't-find-anywhere-else, absolute, LAST resort. 

• Love 9

Yep I agree with you ladies, it would not be my cup of tea in decor or style, plus I much prefer the anonymity hotels allow when travelling, I don’t like to feel like I’m intruding someone’s home and even though I know that’s not the case, that’s how B&Bs feel to me. 

I feel like Meri’s business is probably only viable due to her fans, much like the Lulahellno scheme. Without her profile or Bonnie using it as her primary residence, I  doubt it would be sustainable - I remember Kody saying the figures on previous owner Victoria’s made no sense and it would just not be profitable.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sofa Sloth said:

Yep I agree with you ladies, it would not be my cup of tea in decor or style, plus I much prefer the anonymity hotels allow when travelling, I don’t like to feel like I’m intruding someone’s home and even though I know that’s not the case, that’s how B&Bs feel to me. 

I feel like Meri’s business is probably only viable due to her fans, much like the Lulahellno scheme. Without her profile or Bonnie using it as her primary residence, I  doubt it would be sustainable - I remember Kody saying the figures on previous owner Victoria’s made no sense and it would just not be profitable.

Not sure I would give much weight to Kody’s assessment... 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Even a broken clock is right twice in 24 hours! 😉

Looking at any Brown financial info would confuse the crap out of me.  So would looking at their family tree.  I can't dill with all those twists, turns, and miles of roads that go in circles and make no sense.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Normally no, but in this instance I believe he was looking at the figures provided from the previous owner’s business accountant before sale, so it wasn’t so much his assessment, just fact. It wasn’t  turning a great profit. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Sofa Sloth said:

Normally no, but in this instance I believe he was looking at the figures provided from the previous owner’s business accountant before sale, so it wasn’t so much his assessment, just fact. It wasn’t  turning a great profit. 

On the other hand, it is turning more profit than MSW Closet or Strive or even the green goo if they still sell that. Plus it is real estate... could at some point sell for some $$. Maybe The Prophet wants to expand??? 🤣

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4

I prefer the anonymity of motels w/a small fridge & microwave.  I can make my breakfast and a lunch to pack for hiking, etc.  Quaint old BnBs often have ancient electrical systems and no 3-pronged, grounded outlets to plug in my laptop or decent Wi-Fi.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

On the other hand, it is turning more profit than MSW Closet or Strive or even the green goo if they still sell that. Plus it is real estate... could at some point sell for some $$. Maybe The Prophet wants to expand??? 🤣

True, except you know she’ll never sell and get any equity out of it, as the only reason she just HAD to buy it was for the sentimental family connection, the business was just a second-thought means to obtaining the property. Plus older properties costs tons in upkeep and maintenance. Luckily she has her semi-fame to rely on with keeping the rooms occupied.  We know Mariah will sell it in a heartbeat upon Meri’s death to fund her endless brunches and lattes though. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Sofa Sloth said:

True, except you know she’ll never sell and get any equity out of it, as the only reason she just HAD to buy it was for the sentimental family connection, the business was just a second-thought means to obtaining the property. Plus older properties costs tons in upkeep and maintenance. Luckily she has her semi-fame to rely on with keeping the rooms occupied.  We know Mariah will sell it in a heartbeat upon Meri’s death to fund her endless brunches and lattes though. 

Yes, it will be kept as her backup/safety exit plan but in really dire times she may just let it go to survive. Mariah will definitely liquidate it in a heart beat to keep her lattes coming once Meri is gone.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

Luckily she has her semi-fame to rely on with keeping the rooms occupied. 

Except they are not.  Even before the pandemic you could look at her bookings and every random date I checked showed a vacancy for every single room.  She may have a few sycophants but they don't seem to be all that willing to schlep to Nowheresville to spend the night in her fusty old farmhouse.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Except they are not.  Even before the pandemic you could look at her bookings and every random date I checked showed a vacancy for every single room.  She may have a few sycophants but they don't seem to be all that willing to schlep to Nowheresville to spend the night in her fusty old farmhouse.

Wow that sounds even bleaker as a business prospect than I thought then. Imagine if she didn’t have the odd curious fan popping in, hoping to take a gander at her - like what’s probably going to happen when the show goes off air and everyone forgets they exist. How is she paying this mortgage? The mind boggles.  

Edited by Sofa Sloth
Typo
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

We know Mariah will sell it in a heartbeat upon Meri’s death to fund her endless brunches and lattes though. 

There is no way Mariah could sell it.  Who would BUY it in that small town?

10 minutes ago, Sofa Sloth said:

Wow that sounds even bleaker as a business prospect than I thought then. Imagine if she didn’t have the odd curious fan popping in, hoping to take a gander at her - like what’s probably going to happen when the show goes off air and everyone forgets they exist. How is she paying this mortgage? The mind boggles.  

Lularot - for now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Sofa Sloth said:

Looks like there’s no gushy anniversary appreciation social media posts, or romantic trips to Mexico this year. Shocker 😉 

https://www.tvseasonspoilers.com/reality-tv/sister-wives-meri-ignores-kody-30th-marriage-anniversary/

It would be stupid for them to celebrate a marriage that Kody wishes never happened.  Besides, it would take him away from Robyn's side for a little while, and that's not fair to Robyn.  (eye roll)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

I still believe her mom sunk every single penny of profit from the sale of her house (right before the purchase of the B&B) into this purchase for the exchange of having a place to live.  If memory serves, her house was run down with mattresses on the floor. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I still believe her mom sunk every single penny of profit from the sale of her house (right before the purchase of the B&B) into this purchase for the exchange of having a place to live.  If memory serves, her house was run down with mattresses on the floor. 

I don't recall the condition of Meri's moms house but I do remember that her mother had sold her home right around the time Meri was negotiating the purchase of Parowan.  Bonnie's possible investment in the BnB would explain why Annie, Christine's mom, was suddenly replaced by Bonnie as the hostess.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7