Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

Meri seems to have quite the life.  Her tweets on CJ's blog are full of comings and goings. 

Apparently, she has plenty of time and money to become a rock star groupie and follow her boy band around.  Numerous trips to Disneyland and a cruise.  It's nice to see she didn't waste her money on college, since she has no interest in a job.  But I'm sure the new season will be full of tears when she complains about her hard life.  And I'm pretty sure the wet bar will be soaked.

• Love 4

With that many people at her disposal, kitchens and the wet bar, Meri should go back to school for cooking/baking and have a catering business instead of MSWC for extra family income. But that requires logic.. and work.  Oh horror... the WORK!

• Love 4

One thing that amazes me about this bunch is their complete lack of any ambition.  Even Janelle, who used to talk about how much she loves her work, has sunk into the same torpor as the rest.  What in earth do they do all day?

• Love 6

I think Meri would have been happier with someone who was not into polygamy. Someone other than Kody.

I know that Meri has said she was raised in a polygamist family. I think she would be happier with monogamy as well, but I think she hangs in there because despite what the other wives say, want, or do, she is the only 'real' wife. She has the top rung of the hierarchy. I do wish she would find herself a flirtation. I don't mean an affair, but a man who compliments her and flirts with her so she has some fun  . Kody is clearly not interested, and really... who want want to even go near Kody? Eww

One thing that amazes me about this bunch is their complete lack of any ambition.  Even Janelle, who used to talk about how much she loves her work, has sunk into the same torpor as the rest.  What in earth do they do all day?

Complain.

• Love 11

Remember Meri saying that some of the wives would not be happy living so close, something about not wanting the others to know what really goes on...I can't recall the exact quote, but what the hell was she talking about?

I just saw a clip from the commitment ceremony, how did she not see how bad she looked? that dreadfully tight lime green dress made her look nine months pregnant coming and going! I will never understand her love of too small clothing, it labors MY breathing to see her in jeans, the hell?

Overall, she looks unhappy this season, not her usual bratty unhappy, but miserably unhappy about her life in general.

• Love 1

I actually think Meri seems more relaxed.   The baby or no baby dilemma (real or manufactured) is over, Mariah is out the spotlight and on her own path, and probably receiving a lot less hate because of it.  I think Meri has reached a period of acceptance with Janelle.  How many times, over how many years, can you apologize to someone, and get nothing back?  I think the "villain edit" probably bothered her in the first few seasons, but she's pretty practical.  She stayed out of the Christine/Kody melt down, didn't suck up to Kody, and attempted to calm and sympathize with Christine, without babying her.  After initially teaming up with Robyn as two against two in the early years, she seems to have moved beyond that, and I think she's now the most easy going, and least dramatic.  Yes, even less dramatic than Janelle, who seems more than capable of stirring things up in her unengaged, flat-affected way.  I find I'm really liking Meri again, for the first time since the first season.

• Love 4

It's true, Meri does seem more relaxed.  She's in a different season of her life than the other wives, and she seems to be okay with that.  I'm liking her, too.  I hope she does finish her degree and finds some fulfillment in a career of some kind.

• Love 4

I thought she has 17 children!!! So basically, once Mariah left for (expensive) college, Meri's work here is done??? This is where they talk the talk but don't walk the walk!! 

This is not a religion, don't kid yourselves, this is a lifestyle. 

Excellent post. Yes, this is a 'chosen' lifestyle and one they aren't enjoying.

• Love 2

Thank you for the link, Absolom. IMO, after seeing poor Meri blown up like a house, it's probably more than 1 thing: marital woes, menopausal maladies which is notorious for weight gain & mood swing, possibly manic depression. If anyone desperately needs a psychiatrist, it's her.

IMO the worst thing about Meri is her permanent bellyachin' about her "infertility". Excuse me? What exactly is Mariah....a pet? There's a helluva difference between Meri & women who can't have any. I suspect Mariah resents that greatly when she became old enough to perceive it. As far as Kodouche is concerned, whether Meri had 1, 17 or no child, he NEVER would have been monogamous. And that's why he changed from mainsream LDS to this branch/cult. His parents were Mormons but weren't always polygamous. They converted when Kodouche was on a LDS mission, so his childhood was not raised in polyg values.

IMO Meri used intuitive pimping. She's so tuned into Kody that I believe she actually senses when he's getting restless before he even attempts to seek someone...via body & eye language, attention span. So, in order to keep her " prize catch ", she re-starts the pimping. Deep inside, she HATES it but has no choice...you know the ole " 1/2 a loaf is better than none at all ". HAH! Now she's lucky if she gets crumbs.

Regarding choosing Janelle, if you saw how she looked when marrying Kody, she was pleasantly chunky with the prettiest eye catching cheerleader face. Almost irresistible! I can't imagine Meri thought he wouldn't be that into her. Janelle & Kody already had chemistry so it was easy. I think that with Christine, Meri felt there'd be no great love but she brought a sense of fun to the family. However, what I believe Meri never could imagine is what she set off by bringing in Robyn.

• Love 3

If I'm reading her Twitter feed correctly, it sounds like Meri's brother Marc took his own life yesterday. Either that or it's the anniversary of an event. Hard to tell. But that could explain some of her cryptic tweets about suffering lately. I just assumed she was subtweeting Krobyn.

In any case, it sounds like her family has been through a lot -- they've already lost her sister and father, plus the sudden loss of Kody's brother a while back. I'm not really fond of Kody or Meri but that's a lot of grief and I do feel for them.

• Love 3

I'm not sure, but I don't think it was the same brother. There was a handy

photo someone posted that mapped out the family... wreath... and his name was on it. Maybe that helpful person will re-post.

EDIT: I found the image but can't post from my phone. It was definitely a different brother, Adam.

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh

So very sad for Meri. Something that struck me about this in relation to polygamy. She said in her twitter post 'you know when your mom calls in the middle of the night something is wrong'.  So she gets a call at 2am and finds out her brother has passed away. Most of us would wake up our husband (or wife) for support. But there is a very decent chance she was all alone when she got the news. Is it even permissible for her to call Kody out of someone else's bed to come and be with her in her grief? I am not trying to make light of her loss. It just occurred to me that something so awful could be even worse when you are in Meri's situation. 

• Love 7

That's a good point, 3girls. It seems like a uniquely depressing situation. A single person would also have to deal with it alone, but not with the added loneliness of knowing their partner is with someone else, blissfully unaware and not to be bothered.

• Love 2

Well, Kobyn couldn't be bothered to even act concerned when the little blond girl was in the hospital (I can never remember their bizarre names) and that was his child.  Certainly a relative isn't worth the notice of the Lord and Master whilst with his favorite squeeze.

• Love 1

That's a good point, 3girls. It seems like a uniquely depressing situation. A single person would also have to deal with it alone, but not with the added loneliness of knowing their partner is with someone else, blissfully unaware and not to be bothered.

Yea that is what I was thinking. It would be hard for a single person as well and married people might not be together if one of them is out of town etc. But being married, wanting your spouse with you as you are in shock and grieve, knowing he's just across the cul-de-sac but he's with someone else would be like salt in the wound. Even if she could call him up and tell him to come over it would still be so uncomfortable. Plus can you imagine if he was with Robyn? She'd come too if Meri call him. UGH

• Love 3

I am sure it was hard on Meri. I am a single mom, and when my daughter died I had NO One by my side. I had not yet met my S/O. My son was with me but a mom can add to sibling grief.

I am sure Meri felt all alone. I can't believe for the first time since watching this show I have sympathy for Meri.

I am sure it was hard on Meri. I am a single mom, and when my daughter died I had NO One by my side. I had not yet met my S/O. My son was with me but a mom can add to sibling grief.

I am sure Meri felt all alone. I can't believe for the first time since watching this show I have sympathy for Meri.

So sorry you had to face that alone, ((Jellybeans)). I lost a daughter too (a baby), and it was hellish enough doing it with a spouse.

Meri seems compelled to make weird choices that ultimately fly in the face of her own best interest. She actively encouraged Kody to pursue Robyn, and then was obviously miserable when they fell in love and were courting. I think if we could see Meri in the dark watches of the night, alone in that big house, we'd see a deeply sad woman. I don't believe there are enough atta-girls in creation to make her feel good about throwing away her legal marriage. When no one is looking, I'd bet the back forty that she is either distracting herself from her feelings, or is raw with pain. Her choice...but I find that so sad.

• Love 5

If I'm reading her Twitter feed correctly, it sounds like Meri's brother Marc took his own life yesterday. Either that or it's the anniversary of an event. Hard to tell. But that could explain some of her cryptic tweets about suffering lately. I just assumed she was subtweeting Krobyn.

In any case, it sounds like her family has been through a lot -- they've already lost her sister and father, plus the sudden loss of Kody's brother a while back. I'm not really fond of Kody or Meri but that's a lot of grief and I do feel for them.

Poor Meri. My brother committed suicide a year and a half ago, and it's absolutely horrible to go through. I feel bad for her...at least I've had a real husband to lean on.

• Love 3

She actively encouraged Kody to pursue Robyn

In light of Christine's statement about encouraging Kody to kiss the next wife he brought into the family, I have to wonder about this now. Meri says she encouraged Kody to pursue Robyn, but it could just be covering up for a man who was going to do what he wanted, no matter what. She had to make it seem like it was her idea, she was OK with it, in order to sell it to the TV audience who was just tuning in for the first time to this family. Christine now says she told Kody to kiss the next wife he brought into the family, but after reading the captions on the screen grabs from the first season posted in another thread, she was devastated about Robyn ("I can't believe he is abandoning his family for Robyn, but I know this has to happen"). There is no way she was encouraging him to kiss Robyn at any time. These women have to act like anything Kody does is THEIR idea, in order for them to cope with this lifestyle and his special brand of crazy.

• Love 7

These women have to act like anything Kody does is THEIR idea, in order for them to cope with this lifestyle and his special brand of crazy.

And we have a winner. They spin it around in their heads so it hurts less when they think of it and they can cope with their lives, they can convince themselves that they run the Kody show and Kody doesn't do just whatever he likes. No way Christine can see the footage from the Kody and Robyn kissing when she was in labour and not be upset, not when she's blown a fuse over so many other smaller matters.

As for Meri, I could see it either way. Her "sponsoring" a wife into the family giving her an ally against the Christine and Janelle team up seems possible. And she might noto see Robyn as a threat because of her non Kody kids. Or feeling that if Kody wanted a new wife (for the show or in general) that if she pointed someone she picked out, she would be in control, rather than helpless as a new toy got the attention. 

• Love 1

That's really inappropriate imo. if this were my family member's i would definitely not want a group of strangers on the internet ogling over the obituary. very insensitive to the situation at hand. 

Edited by iii
  • Love 1

I hope this isn't too macabre, but I found Marc's obituary.  (Please pardon me, I'm a bit of a genealogy/records nerd.)  I feel so badly for Meri and her family.

http://www.premierfuneral.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=3001443&fh_id=12144

I don't think it is macabre. No matter what this family, or any other does, I don't think any of us would wish the pain of grief on any of them. I'm sorry for Meri's loss and hope her brother is at peace. 

I do think it is interesting that he has two children named Alex, and children/grandchildren named Aspen and Garret, considering his sisters in law (do they refer to a sister's sister wives as sisters in law?) have an Aspyn and Garret(t). That's sort of first cousins with the same unusual names. 

• Love 2

I'm really hoping this doesn't have anything to do with the sad passing of the brother. If you take off the first name of the subject of this news story , and consider there are possibly a few spelling mistakes of names on the obit... but the date of the death and the date of the being charged are the same....if it did have any kind of connection, Meri must be losing her mind about now, I think I would also be an endless font of platitudes (Meri's twitter) about now as well.   http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Second-Teenager-Charged-In-Deadly-Shootout-At-Local-Apartment-295759271.html

That's really inappropriate imo. if this were my family member's i would definitely not want a group of strangers on the internet ogling over the obituary. very insensitive to the situation at hand. 

I disagree. The whole point of publishing obits in the paper or online is for all to share in our remembrance.

• Love 5

That photo speaks volumes...she's leaning into him looking a little desperate and wet-eyed and he's straight vertical with that one hand looking like he's going to push her away the second the photo is over.

Run, Meri, run. Find your dignity and GTFO of there.

• Love 1

For a while now, Meri's twitter feed has been non-stop re-tweets of sappy, cloud-infused inspirational sayings. Rarely does she tweet something original and actually about her life. It's really kind of sad to read. Either she is falling apart at the seams or there is a carefully crafted storyline going on for the next season. As is mentioned in the article linked above, Kody and the other wives gushed about her 25th wedding anniversary to Kody; not a word about it from her. 

• Love 2

Meri's painted herself into a corner. She made this huge personal sacrifice of her marriage "for the family," with the idea that it would buy her mega brownie points. Pushing to bring Robyn into the marriage was the same attempt, and it backfired on her. Now, she's made virtually the same move, only with even more drastic consequences. And it was all-eyes-on-Meri's-humble-glory for about five minutes, but after the camera crew packs up and the internet loses interest and their family life goes on as usual, she's still one woman among four, alone in a big house with a wet bar. The pedestal she tried to climb up on doesn't exist, and all she is now is Kody's ex-wife. She can repeatedly tell herself that they're still married, but in the wee hours of the morning, when she wakes up alone in her bed, child grown and gone, no husband, she's sick at heart--I guarantee it. The multiple tweets of "deep thoughts" are background noise--something to drown out the reality of her actual life.

• Love 6

I've been wondering what was up with her Twitter feed. I don't actually read the inspirational quotes because... inspirational quotes... so I didn't know what they were hinting at. It would be really great to see one or more wives ditch that misery parade, but for all her many (many) faults, I would still feel bad for Meri if she ended up leaving unhappily. I don't think she wanted any of this in the first place, and I've seen smarter, stronger women than she make life-altering choices for the sake of a toolish manchild.

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm so sick of Meri the Martyr.  It's like she's in constant need of attention and reassurance from Kody. Just leave the man already! Doesn't she get that Kody just doesn't give a shit? 

Edited by zenme
  • Love 5

Meri honestly looks awful. They need to stop with the old photos of her younger happier days.

She looks like she has been chainsmoking 3 packs a day since she was three and her hair looks like she washes it in battery acid.

I'm gonna say it..Mariah is ugly as eff. Mean? Yes. But i don't just mean on the outside.

Always thought she looked more like her douchey sperm donor but I'm starting to see she looks like momma. Is that what bitterness does to your looks?

Poor ole Meri.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 2