Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

If she were any good at marketing, we would know.

The drawing is not the same building as it is now, right?

I think Audrey has taken artistic license here.  Not only does it not resemble the building as it is now, it is only a reasonable facsimile of what it was in 1870.

• Love 2

A little exchange on Instagram: 

xxxx How do I order from you??? I’ve never had this brand but my friends swear by it..

lularoemeribrown@xxxx as I state in my post here, the FB link is in my bio.

xxx@lularoemeribrown that was rude. Just answer the question.

xx@lularoemeribrown that was rude. Even if you did put it your post, good way to get a new customer is just give them the info again.

xxxx@robnshy it’s ok I’m use to being treated like crap just didn’t expect it from her thought more of her but guess it is what it is

x I support you

xxxxx I agree with you. I was following @lularoemeribrown and started to follow her FB group but she comes across so arrogant! It’s a shame.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

xxxx How do I order from you??? I’ve never had this brand but my friends swear by it..

xx@lularoemeribrown that was rude. Even if you did put it your post, good way to get a new customer is just give them the info again.

xxxx@robnshy it’s ok I’m use to being treated like crap just didn’t expect it from her thought more of her but guess it is what it is

x I support you

xxxxx I agree with you. I was following @lularoemeribrown and started to follow her FB group but she comes across so arrogant! It’s a shame.

Someone needs to give her a copy of the book “How To Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, OrangeWithEnvy said:

In Touch claims Meri left the family. Is this another Jackie Overton special or true? 

In Touch is Out of Touch.  It has been alleged that Robyn's former pal sells these little tidbits to the magazine.  I don't recall one rumor they started that has been true.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

It has been alleged that Robyn's former pal sells these little tidbits to the magazine.

Yeah, lots of "unnamed sources" and "unnamed friends".  Also she's supposedly running the B&B and loving it.  We've seen no evidence of anyone actually staying there.

• Love 5

That picture of the inn looks like what anyone could do by tracing the outline of the house in the picture and then adding some windows, doors and squiggles.  I could do that and I am not at all artistic.

• Love 4

If you're not making a profit or having visitors, how does one write off a business? 

(I really don't know, I suppose I could Google it but I'm hoping that there's someone here who's savvy about the tax details of running a b&b).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, lma said:

Why is the current logo of the way the house used to look? If I were a potential customer looking at the logo, I’d expect the inn to look like the logo.

Does the current building even have a second floor?  All I remember were first floor bedrooms all with doors to the outside.

1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Does the current building even have a second floor?

Yes, it does.  Kind of reminds me of the Walton's place.   John Boy up in the attic.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Yeah, lots of "unnamed sources" and "unnamed friends". 

I was on a different message board one day.  And a woman who was a close family member or Robyn's, was dishing on her.  She eventually said, I have been told to keep my mouth shut, lest she figure out who is telling her business.  No she didn't have much good to say about Robyn.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, deirdra said:

Does the current building even have a second floor?  All I remember were first floor bedrooms all with doors to the outside

Yes, one episode showed them inside the house, walking up stairs to some bedrooms. It was the ep where Kody went with Meri. 

• Love 2
On 5/28/2018 at 6:11 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Someone needs to give her a copy of the book “How To Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie. 

On 5/28/2018 at 6:02 PM, ginger90 said:

x I support you

I have that book in my library. Maybe I should wrap it up send it to her.

She's terrible at customer service--when you want to succeed at sales, there's no such thing as a stupid question from a potential customer. Making someone feel stupid is not the way to win them over. Even I have learned to grasp this concept and I'm on the spectrum, which makes it difficult for me to pick up on social cues/rules (and I hate it when people make me feel stupid due to my disorder). I suspect Meri doesn't think she needs to work at customer service, she's the Almightly Meri Brown. She doesn't just come across as arrogant, she just is. 

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I wonder if that is First Wife Syndrome. 

She remarked in one of the shows that growing up you had to speak up if you wanted to be heard.  I guess when you have a large family and then several more wives join the family and have even more kids, you get lost in the shuffle.  Speaking up is fine but there is no excuse for being rude.  I believe she took advantage of the first wife spot and pretty much got what she wanted all the time.  And I believe that Kody and the other wives eventually got tired of it and that is when they started having problems.

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, DakotaJustice said:

If you're not making a profit or having visitors, how does one write off a business? 

(I really don't know, I suppose I could Google it but I'm hoping that there's someone here who's savvy about the tax details of running a b&b).

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, lma said:

Oh I don’t know. I was just saying all that to mean that it’s a sham. 

If it's a business, most anything she buys for the place can be deducted as a business expense, even if she doesn't have customers. Especially since it's a startup. That's taking a loss. I don't know how long you can get away with calling it a business and not making any money off of it, but she could do it for a while. I'm sure there are more business-savvy people here that could provide a better response, but yes, she can definitely write it off.

• Love 6

She could probably deduct car expenses such as gas and wear and tear on car for those multiple trips she has made before and since acquiring the place.  Also, a portion of her phone bill as well as part of her home office.

Maybe she would be brazen enough to claim Kody as a consultant prior to purchase.  I'm sure that was an overnight trip, judging by the luggage they packed in trunk when leaving, so there would have been lodging expenses, probably 2 separate rooms as I don't think at that point Kody was willing to share his fair body with her.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Teri313 said:

I don't know how long you can get away with calling it a business and not making any money off of it, but she could do it for a while.

It's been a long time since I worked with this, but the IRS has a category that they call a hobby business to prevent people from taking advantage of creating a business for the purpose of having deductions. 

• Love 8

I found this on the IRS website and it kind of screams hobby to me. 

Question

How do you distinguish between a business and a hobby?

Answer

In making the distinction between a hobby or business activity, take into account all facts and circumstances with respect to the activity. No one factor alone is decisive. You must generally consider these factors in determining whether an activity is a business engaged in making a profit:

Whether you carry on the activity in a businesslike manner and maintain complete and accurate books and records.

Whether the time and effort you put into the activity indicate you intend to make it profitable.

Whether you depend on income from the activity for your livelihood.

Whether your losses are due to circumstances beyond your control (or are normal in the startup phase of your type of business).

Whether you change your methods of operation in an attempt to improve profitability.

Whether you or your advisors have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business.

Whether you were successful in making a profit in similar activities in the past.

Whether the activity makes a profit in some years and how much profit it makes.

Whether you can expect to make a future profit from the appreciation of the assets used in the activity.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/small-business-self-employed-other-business/income-expenses/income-expenses

• Love 7
(edited)

With capital losses on things like investments, you cannot deduct more than your income taxes (i.e. you may owe $0 net in taxes, but you don't get money back) and can spread losses over 3 years, so I suspect it is something similar for small "businesses".  Deducting lots of car trips to cool cities and cruises, when your business is mainly online, would surely draw the attention of a tax auditor, especially in year 3.  And her "assets" are the overpriced LuLuNo crap hanging in her "office", which is probably not worth the discounted price she paid for it.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

With grifters and scammers like the Browns, anything is possible.  I would bet they have been on the dole in some manner from day 1.

We know that Christine was still on food stamps even after the TLC cameras started rolling, I guess until the paychecks started coming.  I have wondered how they qualified for this kind of a subsidy, there must be some sort of an interview.  Was she not asked---who is the father of these 5 (at the time) children, and why is he not able to provide for them?  When they started filming, they were selling the Liv Water MLM and Kody was some sort of a hot-shot sign salesman, who was selling well enough that he won a Lexus convertible as an award.

Did she just blatantly lie and say ---I don't know who the father is---or was the combined income of Kody, Janelle and Meri's part time employment so low that Christine qualified for food stamps.  If she did qualify by not naming the father, would the State be able to retroactively sue to regain funds paid out when it became evident when filming started what their situation was?

I'm thinking that fear of prosecution for obtaining benefits they may not have been entitled to was at the root of their paranoia and the reason for the night flight from Utah, rather than persecution for living as polygamists.

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

'm thinking that fear of prosecution for obtaining benefits they may not have been entitled to was at the root of their paranoia and the reason for the night flight from Utah, rather than persecution for living as polygamists.

I wouldn't be surprised.  Didn't ditzy Christine once slip and say that she put all of the food she got on welfare into a pantry for use by the whole family - which is illegal?

• Love 11

"Even when it is currently a soul-crushing, loveless, sexless, mean, empty, sad, dead end relationship with no hope of resurrection. But I will still fight for it because I AM AN IDIOT! And I don't value myself at all! So there, you are owned!"

• Love 18
16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I wouldn't be surprised.  Didn't ditzy Christine once slip and say that she put all of the food she got on welfare into a pantry for use by the whole family - which is illegal?

Not exactly - she said something to the effect that when Kody or Janelle got bonuses or commission checks they would go towards building up the food pantry. 

• Love 2

Didn't Meri say she liked to shop in Christine's pantry whens she ran out of food? Then Christine got a little green around the gills and got that goofy smile on her face because she knew they just got busted for welfare fraud on camera? Then they stumbled around a bit and said that they all contributed to the pantry when they could.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Didn't Meri say she liked to shop in Christine's pantry whens she ran out of food? Then Christine got a little green around the gills and got that goofy smile on her face because she knew they just got busted for welfare fraud on camera? Then they stumbled around a bit and said that they all contributed to the pantry when they could.

Quite the opposite in fact. Meri made her own food while everyone else ate at Christine's, who in this video doesn't hide the fact that everyone contributes.

• Love 6
On 5/28/2018 at 6:51 PM, Sandy W said:

Her walls would go up.

She would have a lot of fillings about it

On 5/30/2018 at 10:31 AM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I was on a different message board one day.  And a woman who was a close family member or Robyn's, was dishing on her.  She eventually said, I have been told to keep my mouth shut, lest she figure out who is telling her business.  No she didn't have much good to say about Robyn.

Where might one find this board?  #askingforafriend

• Love 5
On 6/1/2018 at 9:27 AM, Absolom said:

It's been a long time since I worked with this, but the IRS has a category that they call a hobby business to prevent people from taking advantage of creating a business for the purpose of having deductions. 

I was just thinking about this!  It reminded me of a really funny early 80's movie called How to Beat the High Cost of Living with Jane Curtin, Jessica Lange and Susan Saint James.  Jessica's character has an antique store and she needs money because the IRS was calling it a hobby business and she had to pay a high tax bill or had to close the shop.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.  

5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

F431512E-C091-4FE5-B474-15F124A60402.png

Well she would have if Batman had been a real person.  

• Love 11
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

OK thanks. For some reason I had an image of the wives at the door of the pantry having that convo. Old age......

Maybe you're remembering this one? 

ETA - I think I spy those big cans of Armageddon survival food like you see on the Costco site. 

https://youtu.be/uK3a0INl8Ic

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I was just thinking about this!  It reminded me of a really funny early 80's movie called How to Beat the High Cost of Living with Jane Curtin, Jessica Lange and Susan Saint James.  Jessica's character has an antique store and she needs money because the IRS was calling it a hobby business and she had to pay a high tax bill or had to close the shop.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.  

Well she would have if Batman had been a real person.  

Love it!  I have the DVD and watched it on cable in the 80's.

The door wouldn't have hit Meri's ass on the way out, had Scam been real.  Kody's head would still be spinning.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Love it!  I have the DVD and watched it on cable in the 80's.

The door wouldn't have hit Meri's ass on the way out, had Scam been real.  Kody's head would still be spinning.

You are the 1st person that has recognized that movie when mentioned!  No one I know has ever even heard of it.  I need to pull out my copy...

• Love 2

@Natalie68, I remember in an earlier post that we both had the DVD of Best Friends.

Remember when Kody said something like she's a sister from the same mister, in the first episode, talking about his daughters?  Maybe you're my sister from another mister!

I have way too many books and DVD's.  But it's hard to part with ones I like and think I'll read/watch again.

Meri is only with the fam until TLC pulls the plug on SW.  After that, she's out of there.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

@Natalie68, I remember in an earlier post that we both had the DVD of Best Friends.

Remember when Kody said something like she's a sister from the same mister, in the first episode, talking about his daughters?  Maybe you're my sister from another mister!

I have way too many books and DVD's.  But it's hard to part with ones I like and think I'll read/watch again.

Meri is only with the fam until TLC pulls the plug on SW.  After that, she's out of there.

I was going to post that I think we have a lot of things in common!  HA!  I think so too!  Every now and then I go through my movies (DVD and videotape!) to see what I can part with and I never am able to.  I rewatch movies, reread books, etc.  Speaking of which, its almost time to pull out The Stand again.  I like reading it this time of year.  

She will NOT miss that TLC money while its flowing!  But yeah, once TLC is done with them I think she is done with Kody et al.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, ginger90 said:

F431512E-C091-4FE5-B474-15F124A60402.png

SO full of shit. Does she think we forgot she was ready to leave in 2015 and that while in Alaska, she told the family she might be gone one day? No one is ever going to forget the name "Samuel" or the word "love", which she used over and over in voice and text exchanges. Or the banana photo (sorry everyone). 

Idiot. 

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

SO full of shit. Does she think we forgot she was ready to leave in 2015 and that while in Alaska, she told the family she might be gone one day? No one is ever going to forget the name "Samuel" or the word "love", which she used over and over in voice and text exchanges. Or the banana photo (sorry everyone). 

Idiot. 

She was giddy with excitement over the prospect of slithering away with Sam the Sham...but now she is going to stay and fight to protect her 28 year investment?  She is shadowboxing all by herself.

It seems she is back to cruising the aisles of Hobby Lobby, looking for inspirational, self-affirming quotes.  We hear you Meri, you are whistling in the dark.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I was going to post that I think we have a lot of things in common!  HA!  I think so too!  Every now and then I go through my movies (DVD and videotape!) to see what I can part with and I never am able to.  I rewatch movies, reread books, etc.  Speaking of which, its almost time to pull out The Stand again.  I like reading it this time of year.  

She will NOT miss that TLC money while its flowing!  But yeah, once TLC is done with them I think she is done with Kody et al.

One of my all-time favorite books (The Stand.)  I have it on my Kindle as well, so I can make the print bigger and read it without my glasses.

Add liars to the Brown list, along w/ grifters and scammers.  Meri is full of shit.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

One of my all-time favorite books (The Stand.)  I have it on my Kindle as well, so I can make the print bigger and read it without my glasses.

Add liars to the Brown list, along w/ grifters and scammers.  Meri is full of shit.

I loved The Stand. Steven King sure knows how to write and that one is timeless. 

I don’t trust the Browns one iota. Especially Kody. When he’s had enough he may just take off with all of their assets. Solomon is too young for him to want to leave right now. 

• Love 5