Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E11: Songs & Duets

• Start Topic

Super late to the game, but I hated Mark's choreography for Alexa -- she looked like she was being beaten!!

I think that was the point? Agree that it was uncomfortable to watch, but it was a visual metaphor of what her eating disorder was doing to her mentally and physically through dance movement. She was trying to get away, but it kept dragging her back. It got into her head, it manipulated her and controlled all her movements, it kept attacking her, it dragged her down and smothered her. Notice also the focus on her head and her stomach, but mostly her head. I thought it worked because of how stark and brutal (well, for a family show) it was. There's one moment when he's slamming into her and you see Julianne wince in the background, that was my reaction as well the first time I saw it. That's the effect he was going for, it wasn't supposed to be a pretty dance. Though, again, it worked for me as many things Mark does choreographically work for me because I find his tendencies towards extremism aesthetically interesting, but I know that's why he's controversial and I understand why it might not work for others.

• Love 3

What?? We don;t know that yet and won;t until Monday, next week.

I think I'm a bit confused by this comment you made in relation to Tamar. We already know she's out & can't dance on Monday's show because of her illness. That was announced earlier today. What we don't know, yet, is if Alexa may be brought back into the competition since Tamar's medical withdrawal, after Alexa had already been voted out this week, seems to have left them with 1 less couple than they expected to have still competing at this point in the season with, like, 2 performance shows left to go.

After Alexa got eliminated, they had Bindi, Tamar, Alek, Carlos, & Nick left. Then Tamar dropped out & now they have Bindi, Alek, Carlos, & Nick as the Final 4.

And I'm now trying to figure out how many couples they meant to have in the Semi-Finals & Finals. Were they supposed to have 5 couples in the Semis, which I think are next episode, eliminate 1 couple at the end Monday night, have 4 start out in the Finals then eliminate down to 3 couples *during* the Finals & have the winner be 1 of the Final 3?

The way things stand now, to me, makes more sense: Even though there were 2 eliminations this week, leave that alone & go with 4 couples in the Semis, eliminate down to 3 at the end of the Semis, start the Finals with 3 then, perhaps, eliminate down to 2 *during* the Finals--of which 1 couple wins the MBT (shrugs).

• Love 1

If they wanted to bring Alexa back, they could hold the show Monday and do a GMA-via-satellite elimination or something.

About the scores on the duet dance for Nick and Tamar, the judges did a LOT of discussing before putting their scores in, which is rare. I wonder if they decided to score Nick on the basis of the rehearsal (which they theoretically don't see but everyone knows they do) so he wouldn't suffer. He apparently changed his dancing on the fly to work with what she did, which wasn't what was planned (forget where I saw that, but I believe it).

I think probably no one will be eliminated next week. They had four couples go into the finals last year.

The thing about Alexa is that she was crying a few weeks ago just because she was in jeopardy. That's not someone who should even be on this show, IMO. Hey, I get it, it's disappointing after all that hard work and maybe she's just a really emotional person. But being in jeopardy alongside Carlos was just too much for her to take and her reaction was ridiculously melodramatic, as if their lives depended on this. Neither of them should care that much about this show.

And then in one of Carlos' intro packages he talked about coming home from a tour and sitting around smoking pot and getting depressed. It just doesn't seem like these people deal well with the highs and lows of their lives. I think both of them could benefit from therapy, if that's not too much "armchair psychology."

I find it ironic...so Alexa and Carlos shouldn't care THAT much about her elimination (because it's just a dance reality show), but yet Alexa was given flack for most of the season for seemingly caring more about her husband than said dance reality show?

Edited by calipiano81

I just think Alexa and Carlos may be a drama queens about a lot of things. I mean, I still can't get over the elimination moment. A family member of mine who is cynical about almost everything and I were talking about it and the first thing I said about it was, "when she got kicked off, I thought it was a little much with the crying" and this family member was all, "it was cute, he was crying. He was sad his wife got kicked off" and I was like.. "....huh?" And no one is saying she can't care about her marriage but the tears were ridiculous! COME ON. Being upset is fine but they are going home TOGETHER! And please people, you know that jam packed two hour finale is going to have them doing a couple dance! YOU KNOW IT! Even if Carlos isn't in the final couples, there will be a married couple dance!

It would be hilariously funny if because of Tamer's early exit that Alexa came back. Then the dramatics would be all for nothing. 

I think probably no one will be eliminated next week. They had four couples go into the finals last year.

Last season's finale was a 3-couples finale. The show only went to 4-couples finales a few seasons ago. It used to be three couples at the start and for many seasons. The only difference with 3 couples is that they don't do an elimination on the Monday night after the freestyles and everyone goes into Tuesday for the grand finale. That's it. 

Super late to the game, but I hated Mark's choreography for Alexa -- she looked like she was being beaten!!

I often do not watch the intro packages and only saw a minute or so of Alexa's where she talked about having had an eating disorder. Then I started watching the dance and thought WTF?? It took me almost the whole dance to get that Mark was supposed to be the disorder. Even knowing that I hated the choreography and thought it was inappropriate for a family show. I have never been abused in a relationship or as a child - I can't imagine how uncomfortable that must have been to watch for someone who has been.

Hope Tamar has a safe recovery and best wishes for continued good health for many years to come.

2b.  Nick & Sharna
Thought the overall quickstep routine had the familiar open and stress-free quality to Sharna's usual numbers.  Relative to their foxtrot, thought their quickstep hold had a more effortless and relaxed feel to it.  It's also nice to see Nick wholly embodying a character that is unique to the dance style and music as well.  Thought Nick showed nice body contact when in hold, a bubbly spring in his step and a light, airy weightlessness to his body.  Think his topline needs to remain quiet and calm and agree that he needs to lengthen his back/spine and to dance away from Sharna (section at studio corner near judges table didn't seem to help him).  Though his left foot seemed slightly pigeon-toed, think that the music presented opportunities where the couple could've remained in hold (without troupe members midway), and work a corner with similar steps (pendulums, woodpecker, etc).  Nonetheless, thought this routine was an upgrade from their previous non-contemporary dances, and hope that the couple continues to take the positives and build upon it for next week.

1.  Bindi & Derek
Thought this was the first routine where Bindi wasn't dancing small, but rather, was using the lines to extend herself in order to occupy a bigger space around her.  It was interesting to see her in blindfold at the beginning, and thought and felt that a new character emerged on the ballroom and enhanced the performance as soon as it was removed.  Nice to see the arch in her back and the improvements made in the topline as well.  Think its nice that Derek is pushing himself creatively and arriving to a balanced routine that will continually showcase Bindi in a positive light.  Though it's becoming difficult to gauge the boundaries of Bindi's mental landscape, after watching their viennese waltz, I felt that the couple reached a new height in their partnership and dancing.  Think they have a lot to offer in their upcoming performances and will be curious to see how the couple progresses from this point.

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

In what world were two untrained dancers going to "master" Fosse/Chicago in two days? And people have been referencing iconic dances, musicals, etc. on this show for many seasons and I don't remember there ever being any expectation that they master these iconic dances and styles.

For this show and not being professionally trained dancers, in my opinion, I thought Bindi and Alexa did very well. They were in sync, on time, showed great musicality, sold the performance and gave it their all. And I'm sure that's all the judges wanted. If they wanted perfect Fosse they can always go see the musical with the professionally trained performers. 

I thought they were very noticeably out of sync but I do agree with your overall sentiment.

They can make a finale that starts with either 4 or 3 Teams work.  

The problem with bringing Alexa back is that no one could vote for her during the voting window.  So next Monday would have to be a non-elimination, with five Teams going into the finale.  (if they had an extra-week, they could insert a non-elimination followed by a double-elimination, but there's no time for that now).

If anyone has any suggestion for how they bring Alexa back and still do an elimination, I'm open to hear it.

On the other hand, going down to 4Teams at this point probably throws a wrench into whatever "gimmick" dances TPTB had cooked up for this coming week.  And those are usually the things they use help influence who gets to the finals.  

Either way, I'm sure TPTB are cursing Tamar for leaving the hospital, and kicking themselves for not locking the studio door.

• Love 1
On the other hand, going down to 4Teams at this point probably throws a wrench into whatever "gimmick" dances TPTB had cooked up for this coming week.

They are doing trios this week. That was announced right after Monday night's show by the couples in their post show interviews - individual dance and the trio. So I don't see Tamar's withdrawal throwing a wrench in that or it making any difference. Honestly, I don't think Tamar's withdrawal has significantly affected anything and this is only somewhat of an issue because some fans are loudly declaring online that it was unfair that Alexa left.

The fact is they have done three couples finales, it was what they did before they randomly went to four. They still have four couples, so eliminate one on Monday, the finale happens the following week with three couples, give the champions the ugly trophy and done and done. I know anything is possible but I'm sorry, I did not see Alexa winning this thing so she wasn't robbed of the trophy. Tamar wasn't robbed because she willingly withdrew for health reasons and so we're left with four couples that fairly made it far anyway. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

They could bump Wicked City on Tuesday night for a results show. That way Alexa could dance with the group on Monday. The judges' scores from last week and this week are combined with viewer votes from this week for an elimination on Tuesday.

There may not have been enough time to plan the show, bring Alexa back to train, and get permission from ABC to make the change to the schedule.

• Love 1

Yeah, I really don't think the show ever considered bringing Alexa back. They simply like the attention all this speculation is bringing. As has been said, they'll simply do one of two things; either go ahead and eliminate someone on Monday, and have a 3-person finale as has been the norm for most seasons, or forego an elimination all together and have the remaining couples move into the finale. My money is on them doing the former, (especially if Alek was next on the chopping block).

Edited by Mbeaker

I just rewatched this episode, and it was interesting to rewatch Tamar and Nick in light of what we now know about her health issues and his behavior. Nick really stepped up and went above and beyond to help Tamar. He was so tender after the dance too, and while he's been one of my favorites all along, he took a leap forward in my estimation.

Tamar really danced well under the circumstances. She must really have that show-must-go-on drive to have been able to perform at all, much less give a commendable performance. But my gosh, she was practically gasping for air after they danced. And knowing that she was suffering from a PE, it's so scary to think how that could've ended.

And on rewatch, I really disliked Carlos and Witney's AT. I think Witney is a great dancer, but this one just seemed too ....upbeat? peppy?... for an AT. And yeah, Carlos looked to me like he was forcing himself to be sad about Alexa's elimination.

• Love 1