Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E11: Songs & Duets

• Start Topic

Oh thank God for this place. I was literally laughing out loud at the PenaVega histrionics. Good Lord, you'd think one of them had just been told they only had 24 hours to live. 

I wonder how long it took for them to clean up the slobber the judges left all over Derek? Gah! I didn't buy his "struggling with the choreography" story, either. Doesn't that happen to him every season and then he comes out and everyone cries that it was the best, most magnificent thing they've ever seen? However, Bindi seems like a sweetheart who is enjoying the heck out of this experience.  

I really enjoy Nick and Sharna's dances and their partnership. They seem to genuinely like one another. 

It shouldn't have been Alexa going tonight, but since it was, I really wish she could take her husband with her. 

What was the deal with Val when Carrie Ann asked what kind of drugs the hospital had given Tamar? He jumped up and walked behind the bench. I think I must have missed something.

• Love 3

When Carlos said, "I want to beat my wife" there was a small pause while my brain played it back and then I said to myself, and THIS is why you don't like him - I find it believable that he might want to.  I can't express why his emotional displays creep me out so much, but they sure do.  

Alexa and Mark were wonderful and I am a fan of neither.  She wasn't being thrown around, she was doing very hard dancing.  Try to hold your body in an attractive seemingly effortless position while being held upside down by someone else and see how you do.

Witney's package was way too much about her - she is mistress of doing that.  Haven't we seen a paso to "We will rock you" before?  

Sharna's dress was the only thing worth watching this evening.  That dress was everything, especially on her.

• Love 3

And this from a guy who said "I want to win....I want to beat my wife"

I cringed when he said that. Carlos, I know you meant it in a "we're up against each other in a competition" sort of way, but still... such a terrible choice of words! 

And somehow I bet he's feeling those words now. My second thought after "not a good choice of words, man," was "Be careful what you wish for, Carlos!" There's healthy competition and friendly ribbing, and then there's the reality of it when one is chosen over the other.  I would almost bet he wasn't expecting it to be so hard to come out ahead of her. I believed those tears. I think he's feeling really shitty. Especially given how well she danced tonight and what a meaningful dance it was for her.

• Love 7

I was thinking Titanic ("I'll never let go!"), but same difference.

Yeah. I mean, I'm still laughing.. at them. I mean, Alexa, seems like a nice girl and all but "this is so horrible.." crying. What...?  I just didn't get it. It's not like they aren't going to get to see each other. They will be going home together! They are married and see each other everyday. Regardless if one of them is competing. Even if the producers instigated the drama with it being the ones left are the married couple, these two were overdoing it. I'm sorry, but true. Like we have been saying this is a dance show with a trophy. A trophy that isn't even that pretty. 

• Love 1

Personally, I think it should have been Alek going home tonight, and then Carlos. But since Alek was safe (ridiculously so), I wanted it to be Carlos going home. It should have been him, not Alexa.

I don't even want to get started on the half-assed dance Alek and Carlos put on. They behaved like a couple of frat boys on that cruise, and then they wonder why they got shitty judges' marks? They didn't even deserve what they got.

Tamar deserved better from her dress rehearsal performance than what those two knuckleheads got for what was supposed to be an all-out performance. They wasted their time. It should have been sharp and powerful. Instead it had little to no energy. They couldn't be bothered. Which is another reason why I think Carlos should feel really shitty about his wife going home before him. She worked her butt off for this week's dances. She killed both performances while he half-assed and joked his way through. 

• Love 8

What was the deal with Val when Carrie Ann asked what kind of drugs the hospital had given Tamar? He jumped up and walked behind the bench. I think I must have missed something.

I thought it was just odd timing and he moved because they didn't all really fit on that bench. He's too much of a good guy to push Sharna off, they were sitting because of Tamar, and Nick was sandwiched between Tom and Tamar and probably not really aware that Val and Sharna squished at the other end.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3

I'm not surprised that Tamar came back to dance...but I'm surprised that TPTB let her!  I was afraid she was going to pass out in the middle of the dance, and then again while they were getting their scores.  That Tamar is a tough cookie. 

I was waiting for Carlos to run up to Tom and volunteer as Tribute.  Seriously, Carlos, those tears?  Presumably you will see your wife again when you get in the car to go home!  Good Lord!

• Love 9

"Just give them what they want"?  He makes it sound like these producers are sadists manipulating everything for our vicarious pleasure.

Well, they are.  Raise your hand if you thought Carlos was in the bottom two tonight.  Yea, me neither.  As someone else said upthread, tonight's elimination (with either Alexa or Carlos leaving) was scripted this way from day one.

Bob Fosse is throwing up in his grave. That was so pathetic. 

Thank you!  I thought the same thing.  I mean, they weren't bad, but this is Bob Fosse/Chicago - you shouldn't do it unless you have a chance to really work on it and master it, and they didn't even come close.  Chicago is pretty iconic, so much so that I thought the judges would criticize the dance gently by comparing it to the master version in their head, but I forgot - Derek and Bindi.  So of course it was spell-binding and perfect.

• Love 3

Sharna's dress was the only thing worth watching this evening.  That dress was everything, especially on her.

I will agree, with one addendum:

I will always enjoy Artem as a gangster. I feel like I've said that before. Did someone have a Bonnie and Clyde dance that he was a part of? Seriously, the man wears a zoot suit and a fedora amazingly well. (EDIT: hahaha ... it was his Jazz with Lea and he was Clyde. Oops. Same thing. Guy makes a great gangster.)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 6

While the critiques of Nick were true, it is frustrating that they made sure to highlight the mistakes/rule-breaking of the dance style when Bindi and Derek have had the same mistakes/rule-breaking with no comment (except for accidentally pointing out Bindi being out of sync since they thought it was one of the other female celebs in the Halloween dance). 

• Love 7

While the critiques of Nick were true, it is frustrating that they made sure to highlight the mistakes/rule-breaking of the dance style when Bindi and Derek have had the same mistakes/rule-breaking with no comment (except for accidentally pointing out Bindi being out of sync since they thought it was one of the other female celebs in the Halloween dance). 

While Bindi and Derek did break hold in their Quickstep, they had much more content in theirs. Nick's took way too long to start and when it did, they dropped hold again and did his little foot stuff with the boys.

• Love 1

Carlos is such a douche. His wife gave an amazing performance of a very meaningful struggle, and his reaction was, "Eh, it was good." Juxtaposed with his whole WHYYYY COULDN'T IT BE MEEEEE! at the end made him even more ridiculous. 

Tamar danced well all things considered, but the follow up was painful to watch. My kids always get loud by this time of night and I have the TV turned way up. I could hear the wheezing. Between that and her eyes practically rolling back at times, man. As much as I want her to be in the finals, she needs to rest before she kills herself. She'll probably get plenty of sympathy votes, though, so I doubt my abstaining will matter much.

• Love 1

First and foremost, thoughts and prayers going out to Tamar. I can't believe she actually showed up in time for the team dance. I thought she looked great in it! But now I hope she takes the time to rest and feel better. Scary stuff. Here's my thoughts on each dance (not necessarily in order, because I drink wine while watching this show, and it makes things a little foggy...):

1. Alek and Lindsay: I feel like I'm the only fan of Alek left on this board. Obviously he's not the best dancer left in the competition. In fact, he may be the worst of all the dancers left. However, I am still rooting for him. To have literally no dancing experience before the show started to go to this is pretty impressive. I think he has learned alot, and is a joy to watch. He seems to be having fun, and just seems like a genuinely good guy. And I think he is trying as hard as he damn well can. Also the pre-dance package was hilarious! Poor dude getting his chest waxed. Loved seeing Bindi and Carlos getting in on the action!

2. Alexa and Mark: This dance was stunning. What an amazing concept, and the execution was incredible as well. I really grew to love Alexa and Mark's partnership. And kudos to her for sharing her story about bulimia. I really adore Alexa.

3. Carlos and Witney: Bleh. I'm sorry, but something about this dude just bugs me. He just seems so phony and desperate. And this song was a weird one to do an Argentine Tango to. I never see in Carlos' dances what the judges see.

4. Bindi and Derek: The pre-dance package was the least suspenseful thing ever. Derek could choreograph me brushing my teeth, and it would still be amazing. The drammmmmaaaaa was unnecessary. That being said, I loved this dance. Even with the obvious Bindi-pimping/tongue bathing from the judges. And the song they danced to was gorgeous! Think I'll be buying it from iTunes for sure. Thanks Mark and BC (I think that's her name? And not just a province in Canada. WHAT UP fellow Canadians!) 

5. Tamar and Val: That whole thing was so awkward, with the judging of the rehearsal package. I thought it was a lovely dance though. Would have loved to see it performed live. l Felt so bad for Val throughout that whole mess.

6. Nick and Sharna: I really LOVED this. The choreography was so on point. And Nick was dapper and seemed to be having a blast. I think this was my favorite dance of the night! and HELLO Kevin, Howie, Brian, and AJ!!! My teeny bopping self (who I still am, let's be real) was freaking out seeing BSB in the audience!

7. We Will Rock You: *shrugs* I really liked this dance. Thought it had the energy that a Queen song should. And Alek and Carlos seemed like strong partners to the girls, and each other, but what do I know as the judges (and most people here) seemed to dislike it. 

8. All That Jazz: AMAZING. Bindi and Alexa killed it! This choreography was awesome. and the girls and everyone executed it so well. 

9. Hey Jude: I adored this. Everything worked for me. I think this was my favorite of the duet dances. Tamar and Nick were incredible, and Sharna and Val as always. Troupe added to the dance, but didn't detract from Nick or Tamar. She looked so out of it though. I hope she gets well soon :(

Elimination: BOOOOOOOOO. I did not think Alexa should have gone home yet. She's been one of my faves since the season started. Producer shenanigans did her no favors. Wish Carlos has gone instead. Alek must be pulling in MAD votes to still be there (and I say this as a huge fan of his.)

Overall, tonight = meh. I feel the judges are kind of useless this season. 

Edited by AdorkableSars
  • Love 3

While Bindi and Derek did break hold in their Quickstep, they had much more content in theirs. Nick's took way too long to start and when it did, they dropped hold again and did his little foot stuff with the boys.

Carrie Ann is historically preferential on who she upholds the rules for, though. I mean Bindi can do a not-rumba (okay, yes, it was a special week) and a not-waltz and still get higher scores than she should have. Not to mention all the lifts she's turned a blind eye to over the course of the series. (One that stands out in my memory is Emmett Smith's "lift" in his tango, which Cheryl did the season before with Drew, too, and didn't get any comment or point reduction.)

Still, if I'm Nick I'm not complaining about a 28.

• Love 2

I was waiting for Carlos to run up to Tom and volunteer as Tribute.

HAHAHAA! I didn't think of the Hunger Games in the moment (great reference, by the way), but I totally was waiting for him to run up and say, "No! Take me instead!" (Frankly, given his performance in that final group dance, he should have offered. LOL.)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 9

I don't think all this means Alek is getting tons of votes. Alexa was only 2 points ahead of Alek so it's not like he overcame this huge margin to beat her.

He's at the bottom now with only Tamar 1 point ahead. Assuming she gets her usual votes plus the sympathy votes likely coming her way, Alek is toast next week, unless Carlos' crocodile tears gets him some extra votes too.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've never warmed up to Bindi's dancing, and at this rate, I probably won't. I just can't connect to it. And then there's the irritating fact that the judges will consistently give her undeserved high marks. So basically, her and Alec are the ones I want out of the competition next (and considering Carlos is still in, that is a tall order). I also don't like the fact that she shills for SeaWorld, though I probably could've overlooked that if I liked her dancing a bit more.

I thought it was just odd timing and he moved because they didn't all really fit on that bench. He's too much of a good guy to push Sharna off, they were sitting because of Tamar, and Nick was sandwiched between Tom and Tamar and probably not really aware that Val and Sharna squished at the other end.

That is how I interpreted it as well, they all did not quite fit in there and he graciously gave Sharna some seating space. Just poor timing.

I'm seeing some people on twitter saying Mark & Alexa was a rip-off of Gravity.

Edited to add that it was the first thing I saw even from the choreography clip before the dance, definitely a lot of similarities but I don't think Mia Michaels holds a trademark on dances about things that overpower you. I liked it and thought it was similar but not quite plagiarism. YMMV.

And this from a guy who said "I want to win....I want to beat my wife"
I cringed when he said that. Carlos, I know you meant it in a "we're up against each other in a competition" sort of way, but still... such a terrible choice of words!

Yes--the phrasing doesn't sound right even with the different context. Even with different wording, it sounds douchey. Just focus on yourself, dude.

Edited by Usernamefatigued

One other thing I noticed was that Mark seemed neither very surprised nor very upset about the elimination. I think he saw this coming for weeks. Alexa is talented and tried her best, but she didn't seem to have the drive to win, the couple dynamic made things screwy, as did her constant need to put Carlos above herself, and she was nervous and stuck in her own head. They bonded in the last few weeks and made a good pairing in the end, but IMO it was after Mark accepted the reality that while Alexa may have some tools to be a contender, her various issues prevented it from coming together in a consistent manner to really make her a strong competitive candidate. Tbh, I thought Willow's elim was sadder in that she was a tough cookie, constantly improving, a consistent competitor and would have gone on being awesome.

• Love 3

I don't think all this means Alek is getting tons of votes. Alexa was only 2 points ahead of Alek so it's not like he overcame this huge margin to beat her.

He's at the bottom now with only Tamar 1 point ahead. Assuming she gets her usual votes plus the sympathy votes likely coming her way, Alek is toast next week, unless Carlos' crocodile tears gets him some extra votes too.

Tamar got some of my votes this week....I rarely vote for someone not named Nick.

• Love 4

Does it make me horrible for thinking I wished Tamar stayed at the hospital and got cut instead because I enjoy watching Alexa more than Tamar?

Guess that makes me horrible, too.  In fact, that's probably the only reason why she came back.  They probably told her if she didn't come back, she was gone.  Then, she got up and made it over there.

• Love 3
Thank you!  I thought the same thing.  I mean, they weren't bad, but this is Bob Fosse/Chicago - you shouldn't do it unless you have a chance to really work on it and master it, and they didn't even come close.

I think you can say that for every single dance style on this show since most of these people aren't trained dancers. In what world were two untrained dancers going to "master" Fosse/Chicago in two days? And people have been referencing iconic dances, musicals, etc. on this show for many seasons and I don't remember there ever being any expectation that they master these iconic dances and styles.

For this show and not being professionally trained dancers, in my opinion, I thought Bindi and Alexa did very well. They were in sync, on time, showed great musicality, sold the performance and gave it their all. And I'm sure that's all the judges wanted. If they wanted perfect Fosse they can always go see the musical with the professionally trained performers. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

1. Alek and Lindsay: I feel like I'm the only fan of Alek left on this board. Obviously he's not the best dancer left in the competition. In fact, he may be the worst of all the dancers left. However, I am still rooting for him. To have literally no dancing experience before the show started to go to this is pretty impressive. I think he has learned alot, and is a joy to watch. He seems to be having fun, and just seems like a genuinely good guy. And I think he is trying as hard as he damn well can. Also the pre-dance package was hilarious! Poor dude getting his chest waxed. Loved seeing Bindi and Carlos getting in on the action!

7. We Will Rock You: *shrugs* I really liked this dance. Thought it had the energy that a Queen song should. And Alek and Carlos seemed like strong partners to the girls, and each other, but what do I know as the judges (and most people here) seemed to dislike it. 

Not the only one. I still love him, too. 

I also enjoyed there group dance. I thought it was great and I was entertained throughout.

• Love 4

Speaking of which, I was a little surprised they didn't have Rumer in the Chicago package.  Her stint starring in Chicago ended last week, so if they went to see the show she wasn't in it at that point, but Mark did post a pic of himself with Derek, Alexa, Rumer and a DWTS producer taken outside the theatre where Chicago plays, so she did meet up with them.

Edited to add that it was the first thing I saw even from the choreography clip before the dance, definitely a lot of similarities but I don't think Mia Michaels holds a trademark on dances about things that overpower you. I liked it and thought it was similar but not quite plagiarism. YMMV.

Yeah I feel the same way. They have duets where one partner represents a personal issue literally every year on so you think (just off the top of my head I can remember obviously the Person/Their Drug Addiction duet, a Person/Their Bad Past duet, and a Person/Their Depression duet). It's actually like the second most common type of contemporary duet we see lol, after romantic partner/struggle duet.

• Love 2

For this show and not being professionally trained dancers, in my opinion, I thought Bindi and Alexa did very well. They were in sync, on time, showed great musicality, sold the performance and gave it their all.

Like I said, they weren't bad, but they weren't great, the best, as in a perfect score. And if giving your all to a dance mattered, then clearly a straight-from-the-ER dance would have given Tamar and Nick a perfect score, but all they got were three 9's. Because their names aren't Derek and Bindi. I just can't stand the inconsistent scoring and blatant favoritism.

• Love 5

I do think the show went a step TOO FAR by taking Alexa out back and executing her after the show. I mean, that's just unnecessary. Now Carlos will be forced to dance in his gilded cage while grieving for the wife he'll never see again? Horrific. I mean, there is a line here, show and they just cross....

...Wait, what's that? That not what happened? They'll go home together and she'll be in the audience next week cheering him on? Huh.

• Love 23

It's different than when they did it to Meryl and Charlie, they weren't married and both took it in stride. However this was just too much.

They've tortured Alexa this season will the jeopardy trips and even placement in the show. Girl was always in the first few slots to dance and meanwhile Nick and Tamar are on their 3rd time dancing last. 

Reminds of when Katherine Jenkins made it to 2nd place without ever dancing last in her season, while people like William and Donald had multiple times dancing at the end.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 3
Like I said, they weren't bad, but they weren't great, the best, as in a perfect score. And if giving your all to a dance mattered, then clearly a straight-from-the-ER dance would have given Tamar and Nick a perfect score, but all they got were three 9's. Because their names aren't Derek and Bindi. I just can't stand the inconsistent scoring and blatant favoritism.

And once again, YMMV, but perfect scores on this show have never been about "mastering and perfecting" the technique because these people are not professional dancers. It's why I've said I don't get up in arms about ringers because even some of the biggest ringers on this show, I doubt had perfect ballroom technique because while they may have been hip hop/jazz dancers, they weren't ballroom dancers. I'm sure next to any of the Pros, their technique would not stack up. So saying that, in my opinion, yes Bindi and Alexa's perfect score was deserved.

Was it Broadway levels of perfection, of course not but in my opinion, no one who competes on this show is that. But as usual YMMV. And yes Tamar gave it her all and was a trouper but there were obvious timing and small stumble issues in the dance which was understandable. And I think the judges giving them 9's was their being very generous and cognizant of her issues and the stress the whole team had to deal with because of Tamar's illness. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

Tamar got some of my votes this week....I rarely vote for someone not named Nick.

If Tamar goes then I'm all for Nick getting the win.  These two seem to be the only ones I can warm to.  The rest are just too immature or something.

This by a factor of 1000.  

• Love 6

Eh. I mean, I know production forced the hand in making it dramatic, but, Carlos and Alexa took it WAY TOO FAR. The only time I really felt bad for a contestant being voted off this show who took it really hard was Willow from the Hunger Games movies. Only because she was so young and it really did affect her. I almost felt bad for the little youtube kid a couple weeks back, but he took it better than Alexa and Carlos. Seriously, at the end when he kept talking to her and the hosts were like, "yeah, we need you to come down now". Its.. really.. I'm sorry but it's too much.

And as much as Bindi seems like a nice girl and a good dancer, I just don't like her dancing. I felt the same way about Nastia last season. Nastia was good but I could never connect with her, the only time I enjoyed her was when she danced with the other guy while Derek was hurt for those weeks. I also really hate the edited "Derek is SOOO stressed. What will happen?" I feel as if the show is trying to show us, they do struggle but they will come out on top! Yeah, they will, because the judges are throwing them 10s like they're m&ms.

I really hate not having Len around. Not that I feel he would be any better but I'm pretty sure he would hate these last couple of weeks. Len hated the big production dances, the extra people, he didn't like it and sometimes I agree. The main couples keep getting lost in things.

My horse in this race is obviously Nick, and then I really don't have one but if Tamer could win instead of Bindi, I think I would like that too. I love Val and seriously, like I said above, he cares about his partners. Even after he is done with during a season with them, he still stays close with them.

I like Alec a lot too. He may not be the best dancer but I like his personality more than Carlos who I wish had gone home this week. I think he is a really rude guy. I also don't like how he treats Whitney at all. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl

It's different than when they did it to Meryl and Charlie, they weren't married and both took it in stride. However this was just too much.

They've tortured Alexa this season will the jeopardy trips and even placement in the show. Girl was always in the first few slots to dance and meanwhile Nick and Tamar are on their 3rd time dancing last. 

Reminds of when Katherine Jenkins made it to 2nd place without ever dancing last in her season, while people like William and Donald had multiple times dancing at the end.

While I agree about dance order, I think in Alexa's case it was also a hint that she didn't have the votes from the start. And to be fair to them, I think the jeopardy stuff and the OTT harshness about the Britney dance can in hindsight be interpreted as the producer's sadistic, twisted attempts to rally support for her and get her more votes.

• Love 1

My horse in this race is obviously Nick, and then I really don't have one but if Tamer could win instead of Bindi, I think I would like that too. I love Val and seriously, like I said above, he cares about his partners. Even after he is done with during a season with them, he still stays close with them.

I feel the same way about Nick. I see a maturity in his dancing that is lacking from the others.  Tamar is my favorite, but if she can't win, and it's doubtful given that the judges continually lowball her,  it would be nice for Nick to take it. Sharna is a cool cat and probably the best female on the show at this time.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

While I agree about dance order, I think in Alexa's case it was also a hint that she didn't have the votes from the start. And to be fair to them, I think the jeopardy stuff and the OTT harshness about the Britney dance can in hindsight be interpreted as the producer's sadistic, twisted attempts to rally support for her and get her more votes.

I agree in that her votes might not have been the greatest, but she did manage to stay in weeks where she was under the eliminated star in points like in Hayes and Andy's case. Both got cut when she had less points.

I think it was just a case of Alek being the only one below her last week and his votes surpassed hers and she got the short end of the stick.

• Love 1

I cheer on Tamar for being such a huge trooper, showing up the way she did, but the overall dance they did -- while really cool -- was tentative, likely because of how she was feeling (and Nick and everyone else trying to be careful of her and make sure she didn't fall over). I thought the 9's were fair. 

The 7's they gave her for the dress rehearsal, though... those were bullshit.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

If Tamar's name was Bindi and Val's name was Derek, they would've received 11s. And Julianne would've had the honor of introducing the new 11 paddle. 

They probably would have given them the mirror ball right there and then....due to the unparalleled bravery and all.

• Love 6

Yes, if it had been Bindi who had been sick and then come back, the judges probably would have started crying and been all, "you are so..brave. If you don't win, it's not right".or something. I know it sounds harsh, but given the way the judges praise her.. I don't know.

I remember on this forum last season, everyone talked about how Rumor was overscored and I always felt I was in the minority because I thought she was being scored quite fairly and deserving so. I don't feel that way all the time about Bindi. I feel like it's really overscored, when Tamer does a dance that I find excellent but yet the judges find something to nitpick on. They never seem to find ANY fault with Bindi's dances, but yet every other couple has a flaw somewhere? 

I sincerely hope Carlos is gone next week. He might be a better dancer than Alec, but his personality is really bad. He doesn't seem like a nice person. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 4

We were almost done with her and her crappy attitude and she could have taken care of her health which is more important than some trophy.  

People do things all the time that other people might not think they are well enough to do, but that doesn't mean that they don't have the right to do them. There are a lot of things that we in the audience have the right to criticize, but I think that her decision to continue to compete in the show while ill is a private matter that we don't have the right to criticize.

• Love 2

I doubt people will throw their votes behind someone they think may be a foregone conclusion to waste them because she's too sick. So I can't see Nick not winning--despite Julianne's best efforts to pimp her brother's partner as the second coming by using every superlative there is. I'd like to see Nick do this week's dance again when he's had more training. It could have been so great if he were able to execute it crisper.

Bindi the insufferable is a better dancer than Nick but they're both (along w/ Alexa) not on Tamar's level. Even at her worst with pneumonia she's better than them, aside from lack of polish from it being rehearsal footage or fresh from the hospital! Also I don't see how her rehearsal scored 7's compared to Alek's lumbering about in his rudimentary routine.

When Tamar returned, Val looked ashamed for selling her down the river (again) and Julianne kept twitching as though she was being jabbed from the thorn in her side returning. After the dance she couldn't hide her gritted teeth and entirely discredited Tamar by only praising NICK for PROPPING HER UP and all she mustered for Tamar was to try to manipulate the audience into focusing on her being unfit to compete ("go eat something"). It's official: I have no respect for blackface-wearing, corrupt and unapologetically biased Julianne. And Val? Really poor choice of words: "She's someone who should never have been here" etc. I've lost some respect for your fine, but fairweather self, too.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 5

I've got some dirt cheap oceanfront property for anyone who bought the timeline of Tamar's return Tom was giving us.  I am NOT saying Tom was prevaricating.  He can only tell us what TPTB tell him.

Bindi finally deserved the tongue baths she's been getting from Day One.  She deserves to be in the Finals.  

We had a super rare, and awesome, occurrence tonight.  We saw a woman truly overcome and triumph, using The Dance as a medium who later, in the midst of this singular achievement, was thrown out and acted with complete class and dignity, which only served to reinforce her triumph.  Nobody or no thing could take her strength, faith, and love from her on this night.   All hail Alexa!

She is the true champion of this season.

• Love 3

When Tamar returned, Val looked ashamed for selling her down the river (again) and Julianne kept twitching as though she was being jabbed from the thorn in her side returning. After the dance she couldn't hide her gritted teeth and entirely discredited Tamar by only praising NICK for PROPPING HER UP and all she mustered for Tamar was to try to manipulate the audience into focusing on her being unfit to compete ("go eat something"). It's official: I have no respect for blackface-wearing, corrupt and unapologetically biased Julianne. And Val? Really poor choice of words: "She's someone who should never have been here" etc. I've lost some respect for your fine, but fairweather self, too.

Perhaps Val is talking about the fact that she could become sicker given the schedule that she has. Walking pneumonia shouldn't be dismissed easily.

Edited by Avidviewer
  • Love 4

Perhaps Val is talking about the fact that she could become sicker given the schedule that she has.

Yes it was ambiguous and said amongst vague criticisms of how he's never had it harder with someone. It could definitely give voters a negative perception and fanned the flames the producers have been aiming for from the start.

It was also really in poor taste and disloyal that he was airing out his frustrations and pronouncing her end while she was still fighting to stay in it and wasn't there to speak for herself.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1

Oh thank God for this place. I was literally laughing out loud at the PenaVega histrionics. Good Lord, you'd think one of them had just been told they only had 24 hours to live. 

I wonder how long it took for them to clean up the slobber the judges left all over Derek? Gah! I didn't buy his "struggling with the choreography" story, either. Doesn't that happen to him every season and then he comes out and everyone cries that it was the best, most magnificent thing they've ever seen? However, Bindi seems like a sweetheart who is enjoying the heck out of this experience.  

I really enjoy Nick and Sharna's dances and their partnership. They seem to genuinely like one another. 

It shouldn't have been Alexa going tonight, but since it was, I really wish she could take her husband with her. 

I agree but I do think Derrick was experiencing what authors would call writers block.  It probably happens to all choreographers from time to time.   Beautiful dance and song.  I had never heard that before.  High scores always abound when you are taken on an emotional journey.  The song alone did that.   

No way was Carlos in the bottom two. What do they take us for?  An opportunity for drama and we got it.  Alexa left  on a high note and she got her wish to leave before her husband. 

I do think the show went a step TOO FAR by taking Alexa out back and executing her after the show. I mean, that's just unnecessary. Now Carlos will be forced to dance in his gilded cage while grieving for the wife he'll never see again? Horrific. I mean, there is a line here, show and they just cross....

...Wait, what's that? That not what happened? They'll go home together and she'll be in the audience next week cheering him on? Huh.

Ha ha ha ha ha!!  Good one.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

It bummed me out to see Alexa go. She seems like a nice person with real struggles that she is learning to overcome. I would have loved to see her go all the way. Her dancing is strong, and as much as this show *should* be about dancing only, I find her journey just as compelling.

Mark seems good for her, too. In past seasons I've found him petulant and self-centered but have been impressed both this season and last (with Willow) by his maturity. I believe him when he said Alexa was a friend for life. 

Who is voting for Carlos? Serious question. Is his fanbase that large?

This probably makes me a small person, but Bindi's "I LOVE YOU!!!!" to everyone around her grates on my nerves. I'm giggling out loud thinking what would happen if I screamed that at everyone in my workplace. (Yes, granted, not the same situation, but ... ) Yet, still I find myself drawn to her routines.

Alek is not improving. He may stick around to the finals with the hero vote, which would be disappointing to the better dancers. 

Tamar needs to rethink her priorities for the next few weeks. This was not some triumphant return after a week of rest and relaxation. Still, loved the vulnerability she showed this week, and it made her appear more human. It's OK not to be superwoman all the time !!

Not sure how to take Val's response to learning they were safe. I think he audibly shouted, "WHAT?" Can't help but think perhaps it would be better to bow out now, unless some real changes are made to her schedule. It must be frustrating for Val to see someone with so much potential not spending nearly enough time to focus on the dancing. That may explain some of his comments. 

I was never a BSB fan so did not really know Nick prior to the show. I enjoy his dancing, though, and his years of performing clearly show. While he may not be the best dancer, he's got polish. He and Sharna are the couple I really enjoy watching.

Who should be Top 3: Bindi, Nick, Tamar

Who will be Top 3: Bindi, Nick, Alek

I don't even want to get started on the half-assed dance Alek and Carlos put on. They behaved like a couple of frat boys on that cruise, and then they wonder why they got shitty judges' marks? They didn't even deserve what they got.

We only saw what the editors wanted us to see of the cruise.    They have been trying for a couple of weeks to make Alek look bad.

I liked their dance a whole lot better than that mess that Nick and about to keel over Tamer did.  Now that was a mess.

He's too much of a good guy to push Sharna off, 

Now that I would have paid to see, lol.

• Love 1

I found it interesting when Mark & Derek were choreographing the dance, Derek was very intent on not including movements that didn't work for Bindi.  He really does tailor the dances to the dancer which is probably why he gets so much praise.  (p.s. I'm not really a Derek fan, but it's hard to deny his talent.)

• Love 6