Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E11: Songs & Duets

• Start Topic

Who did Mark get help from for the contemporary choreo? Was it Allison?

Alan Salazar - semi-official DWTS dramaturg. Dance-aturg? Who since not getting that Emmy nomination with Witney seems to have gotten much more vocal about what dances he's helped with (and hopefully got himself an official contract with the show) - he's been helping Lindsey a lot this season as well. 

Some dancy thoughts: 

Carlos & Witney: I actually love this Justin Beiber song. (I know, I know, and I've come to terms with it.) But it was NOT right for an Argentine Tango. They looked like they were a bit in fast forward to keep up with the beat, which is where I think it lost that sultry AT feeling. Witney and Derek got the same "pros feeling the pressure" package this week. I felt kind of bad for Witney that all the comments after were on the choreo - she did all right given the song. 

Derek & Bindi: Loved it. Not completely sold on the blindfold concept, but beyond that I like that he kept it simple. I think Derek does a good job of mixing high production with simplicity over the course of a season, and after 3 weeks of high production, simple was the right move. And I think it's sweet he used Mark and BC's song, which has apparently received a strong boost in downloads. Also thought this was sweet. 

Tamar & Val: I feel for Val, as I loved the concept for this. Scores were fair, you could tell that it was underrehearsed and that Tamar was feeling awful already by the time they taped this. And this is where I maybe sound mean, and I have to go back and restate that I like Tamar, and I think she's talented, and I think it's super admirable that she came back and pushed though the second dance. But on All Access they mentioned that Val had said she had 10 hours total practice time between both dances this week. And it sounds like that's been the case all season. I'm not one to say she shouldn't have signed on to the show, but honestly I think we've found the root of her performance issues. She simply doesn't have time for this. And it's frustrating, (and I felt this way about Nastia last season,) because she picks up the steps and performs admirably in the time that she does have. You can just see how much more they could be. After all of her dances you go, "Considering the limited rehearsal time, that was amazing." At this point in the show, I don't want to have to qualify with, "Considering the limited rehearsal time." I just want to think, "That was amazing." 

Alexa & Mark: Also loved this. I'm bummed she's gone. I wish she had this dance last week, she might still be here. It did remind me of Gravity but I think that's okay. 

Alek & Lindsey: He's clearly the worst dancer at this point. He's totally making the final. I don't know that he's the worst that's ever been left in the competition at this point in time, and I like him better than Carlos, so I'm fine with it. Par for the course for this show. 

Nick & Sharna: I'm definitely not a traditionalist when it comes to this stuff but there was a liiiitle too much jazz/boy band formation stuff in here, and a little too little quickstep. I don't mind the pros adding some spice, this seemed like the balance was off to the point where there wasn't that much quickstepping. Though he performed it well. And Sharna did look amazing. 

Trio dances: 

Cruise advertisement: Oh no! Alek and Carlos won't practice because they're too interested in ALL THE AMAZING AMENITIES aboard The Royal Caribbean Whatever Of The Sea!!! 

Beatles: Again, admirable that Tamar made it back, and good for Nick for keeping it together not knowing if he'd have a partner or not. She was off a bit but I can't blame her. The backstage footage from All Access was interesting before this, she was descended upon by about 10 hair and makeup people at one time, like a swarm of beautifying locusts. The production was a bit too much happening for me, but given it's a Cirque show, understandable.

Chicago: Best of the three for sure. Bindi and Alexa were great in it. Why do they keep giving Bindi the worst wigs? This week and whatever they put her in for the Halloween team dance.They look like they've dragged them out from under a couch, dusted them off, and dropped them on her head. 

Bonus: Since Julianne was saying she wished she was in the Chicago routine, here's a sample of what that might have looked like: 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 5

I honestly cannot stand carrie ann. I find her to be an extremely annoying person. She really has to take off a point because someone was a quarter of a second not in sync? and every time she gives her comments she is always laughing in between saying something nasty to the contestant. I really wish they would fire her.

Julianne's voice is also grating. I know shes been judging a couple of seasons already and derek does tend to get the best partners every season, but in no way shape or form should she be a judge as long as her brother is in the competition. I don't get how they even allowed that.

as for Carlos and Alexa, that was hysterical and ridiculous. I understand being upset/ disapponted, but that was downright funny to watch. You guys are not giving up your first born. relax. 

• Love 8

If Tamar goes then I'm all for Nick getting the win.  These two seem to be the only ones I can warm to.  The rest are just too immature or something.

Yes, Alek and Bindi are so insufferably annoying at this point that I don't think I would watch a final with both of them, much less one of them, in it. 

I honestly think Carlos and Alexa were the real bottom two. Carlos has been there multiple times. Alexa has been there multiple times. It was pretty obvious they were the two lowest vote getters left in the competition.

Last week I briefly thought Alexa would have trouble with the David & Goliath theme getting votes because it would be seen as too pandering. The religious voters prefer their women like Bristol and Candace who walk the walk. Carlos got a pass with them on Magic Mike because he showed feigned disgust at the concept. Carlos would have benefited more from Andy leaving last week.

The cruise ship stuff was bs because there were plenty of pictures floating around of Witney & Lindsey in their bikinis in a lounge chair.

They've tortured Alexa this season will the jeopardy trips and even placement in the show. Girl was always in the first few slots to dance and meanwhile Nick and Tamar are on their 3rd time dancing last. 

Reminds of when Katherine Jenkins made it to 2nd place without ever dancing last in her season, while people like William and Donald had multiple times dancing at the end.

Bindi has also danced last several  times and has never danced first, which at least Tamar and Nick have both done. 

Julianne's voice is also grating. I know shes been judging a couple of seasons already and derek does tend to get the best partners every season, but in no way shape or form should she be a judge as long as her brother is in the competition. I don't get how they even allowed that.

This reminds me of something interesting. I agree with the bold, although I think the same is true with some of the other DWTS pros. I somewhat also follow Strictly Come Dancing (SCD) through youtube videos to see some of my other favorite pros. Recently, I read that SCD actually tries to give the previous pro winner less of a contender the following year to spread the love a bit. Not sure if that is actually true, but my fav Pasha won the previous season and definitely had a non-contender this season (and they actually just got voted off this past weekend). If true, it is interesting how the two shows differ on that.

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 3

We have to remember that DWTS is a reality "show" ... not real life.  There has to be some pathos, some laughter, some drama, and lots of manipulation of viewers by the dancetestants' "packages" and judges' comments (if you actually listen to/believe them).  It's entertainment, folks.

Random thoughts ... Even though Alek is far from the best dancer, there is no way that he was going to be sent home during Veterans Day week.   Tamar's face looked bloated when she returned.  Bindi's over-the-topness seemed a little toned down last night (again the "package" manipulation).  

So glad they're finishing off this turkey of a season before Thanksgiving. 

You know, I want to like Alek, but he needs to go.  That salsa was terrible.  I can't help comparing him to JR Martinez - another "normal" guy/veteran (yes he was on a soap, but that was his first acting gig) who could actually dance.  JR's salsa was HOT.  This... was not.

• Love 4

Did anyone else think how ridiculous it was the Carlos was sobbing uncontrollably last night?!?!  I couldn't believe it!  My first thought was- okay, your wife is leaving the show-  it's not liked someone died!!  I thought it was way over the top and ridiculous.  Anyone else? 

• Love 3
No way was Carlos in the bottom two. What do they take us for?

I honestly think Carlos and Alexa were the real bottom two. Carlos has been there multiple times. Alexa has been there multiple times. It was pretty obvious they were the two lowest vote getters left in the competition.

Agreed with the second comment. I think some may be underestimating how many viewer votes Alek is getting and I don't get the feeling that Carlos is so popular. So I can absolutely believe he was really in jeopardy and hell it'd be hilarious if he goes next week since he was so desperate for it be him, let's see how he reacts if it happens. Something tells me he won't be too thrilled. 

I have watched this show since the first season and I have been on this board since the move from TWOP happened, which was Season 18. In those seasons, Derek came second with Amy Purdy while Maks had his magical season with Meryl Davis and won. Season 19 he came fourth with Bethany Mota who most really never connected with and whose scores were mostly just good. I wouldn't say they were ever that great. Sure she got a couple of 10's during the season but nothing compared to some other partners Derek has had.

Last season he was fourth again with Nastia Liukin, who despite her technical abilities, the judges spent the entire season telling her she was cold and didn't connect and then the producers made sure to show her being "difficult" in a package because she wouldn't give them the soundbite they wanted. 

And yet, for every single one of those seasons, I repeatedly read the show clearly being rigged for Derek, his celebrity is being ovesrcored, his celebrity is doing nothing and getting high scores, Julianne is ovescoring and cheating for her brother and it is all so clearly set up for him to win. Every single season, without fail. And again, twice in a row, he wasn't even in the Final 3 but it never fails.

Similarly I have read repeatedly how all the little challenges are set up for him - Immunity, Team Dance, etc. and yet this season he and Bindi lost the team challenge, lost Immunity and their dance off to Carlos. But I'm sure that was all part of the larger conspiracy plan to not make it TOO obvious of the massive fix in place for him. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9
When Tamar returned, Val looked ashamed for selling her down the river (again) and Julianne kept twitching as though she was being jabbed from the thorn in her side returning. After the dance she couldn't hide her gritted teeth and entirely discredited Tamar by only praising NICK for PROPPING HER UP and all she mustered for Tamar was to try to manipulate the audience into focusing on her being unfit to compete ("go eat something"). It's official: I have no respect for blackface-wearing, corrupt and unapologetically biased Julianne. And Val? Really poor choice of words: "She's someone who should never have been here" etc. I've lost some respect for your fine, but fairweather self, too.

Glad to hear that someone else felt that Val was throwing shade all over Tamar.  I don't really blame him, but I was having trouble understanding what he was trying to say when Tom was interviewing him.  I wonder if he was doing that because it had been intimated to him that he was out - or maybe he was sure that the rehearsal dance scores were mathematically positioned in order to ditch him - hence the disbelief that they were still in.

I thought the Cirque dance was lacklustre and Tamar looked like a really sick person dancing it (her extensions were noticeably truncated and some of her positioning looked really awkward -- I ended up ffing because it was so uncomfortable to watch).  What would they have done had she not made it back?  Was there a troupe dancer ready to take her part?  I would like to see that rendition.

Also, I don't know if anyone's ever crunched the numbers on this phenomenon, but when someone is sick or injured or it looks like they have some reason to leave, don't they usually get booted the next show?

I'm not sure how much longer I can listen to Mark's Brit accent which is getting stronger imo. WTH?

I also don't need to hear CAI talk about ripping anything wide open. Her and her hyperbole.... or HY-per-BOWL [/tm Brian Regan]

• Love 1

I sincerely hope Carlos is gone next week. He might be a better dancer than Alec, but his personality is really bad. He doesn't seem like a nice person.

We have to remember that DWTS is a reality "show" ... not real life.  There has to be some pathos, some laughter, some drama, and lots of manipulation of viewers by the dancetestants' "packages" and judges' comments (if you actually listen to/believe them).  It's entertainment, folks.

I haven't posted on here in forever, I think because this season has been a bit meh for me.

But...one of the most interesting things to me is always the way the contestants come across. I think sometimes we have fun surprises -- like, I had never heard of Hayes before (read: I'm OLD), but he seemed like a charming well-mannered young man (read: I'm REALLY OLD if I'm talking like that!). Or someone like Bill Engvel a couple of years back -- terrible dancer, but I think people found him surprisingly sweet. And then you have the Jaleel Whites - man, he gave off such a whiny negative vibe that I can't even tolerate him in a commercial now. And Carlos falls into this category -- almost uniformly, I see lots of people here responding to the sort of "douchiness" he projects...Usually when someone comes across douchy, it is because he/she is in fact a douche. But on these reality shows, I also wonder how much of it is editing...or a lack of awareness about the image one is projecting. I mean, would I meet Carlos in real life and find him quite fine? But...then I go back to some of his conversations with Witney (and dropping her, OMG, so scary -- and he seemed kind of blase about it) and other things he has said, and I tend to lean toward "actual douche."

I think it points to the fact, though, that some celebrities do not get what they hope from this show, in that it can make their name recognition a negative in the minds of many. But people vote for Carlos, so obviously that's a YMMV.

A couple of other observations. Re: Carlos/Alexa hysteria -- yeah, that was a bit much, BUT I also think that in that moment -- when they have been living these weirdly isolated lives, dancing hours and hours a day, performing live -- all for weeks and weeks -- I think emotions can run pretty high, from exhaustion if nothing else. We see celebrities break down over and over and become pretty deadly serious about each week's dances. So I'll give them kind of a pass.

Tamar? More power to you. But I don't see how she is going to get through these next weeks unless she gets A LOT better. Her voice has sounded scratchy and hoarse for weeks! And no matter that I haven't loved his dancing all season, Nick seems like a tender-hearted lovely guy. He seemed way more concerned about Tamar than about scores.

And one last thing: Again, talking about how people come off. I noticed that Alek looked pissed after their duet scores, kind of like we was a couple of weeks ago. He is turning me off because I'm seeing a weird sense of ego about him. At first I really thought he projected "nice guy" vibe, but the more we get exposed to him, the more I question that. I could well do with him going home next week.

Alek/Lindsay - Salsa - I like Alek.  He seems like a real nice guy, and this week he seems like he's back to having fun. 
But this is just okay.  It's a fun routine, and I have to say that Alek handles the lifts really well.  But there's a whole section where he doesn't move at all - the girls are moving around him.  A lot of the time he's just walking, not really dancing.  Not much hip action to speak of.  I enjoyed the dance, but he is the weakest dancer left. 

Alexa/Mark - Contemporary - Not a fan of contemporary, but I thought this one was pretty good.  I liked the story of it, and I thought Mark's choreography was fantastic.  Alexa danced it well, but there were a couple of times where it looked  to me like she sort of stopped dancing and prepared herself for the lift that was coming.  It took me momentarily out of the dance briefly.  I wouldn't have given it all 10s, but it was definitely a really good dance for her. 

Carlos/Witney - Argentine Tango - I liked the concept of this dance  a lot, and again it was pretty good. But I didn't think Carlos' feet were that good in places.  Where they needed to be sharp, they were kind of flat.  But overall, I thought it was good.

Bindi/Derek - Viennese Waltz - I thought this was quite lovely.  Very nice choreography, and I loved the arm work with all the turns and passes.  Really nice.  Good job.

Tamar/Val - Contemporary - ok, in what world does that dance deserve 7s?  Seriously.  Yes, it was clear it was a dress rehearsal, but it was beautiful choreography and incredibly well executed for someone with pneumonia on the verge of going to the hospital.  It wasn't as crisp or as clean as it could have been, but 7s were just insulting given the 8s for Alek.  I feel bad for Val and Tamar both.  I hope this doesn't up sending her home.  It's going to leave her probably at the bottom of the leader board going into next week.

Nick/Sharna - Quickstep - I love the quickstep, but what was that?  I don't get what Sharna was doing with that choreography.  She took way too long to get into hold, and then you're not supposed to break hold during the dance.  And Nick was not good in hold - I don't know what it was, but his frame was not good.  He was kind of slouchy.  I'm definitely conflicted - it was a fun dance, but it was a terrible quickstep.  I wouldn't have given it any higher than an 8.  And a 10 from Bruno is just plain stupid. 

Duets:

Carlos/Witney/Alek/Lindsay - I'm showing my age - it annoyed me that neither of the guys helped their partners off the stage at the end.  But aside from that, it was fun and interesting.  I didn't think the guys did that great when they were by themselves - not 'enough' of something.  I liked it, but it wasn't great.  Alek is definitely the weakest dancer left.  But they sure looked like they were enjoying themselves on the cruise ship.  8s were fair, I think.

Bindi/Derek/Alexa/Mark - this was fun.  Fun, fun, fun.  I thoroughly enjoyed the choreography, and the two girls worked together much better than the two guys.  They were clearly having a ball, and it showed.  I'm not sure it was perfect and how convenient that both couples had completely perfect scores, but whatever.  It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed it enough I'm not going to complain . . . Too much anyway.  < lol >

Tamar/Val/Nick/Sharna - Wow.  I give serious props to Tamar for coming back in and dancing.  Good for her.  Really nice routine, and I don't know how she managed to get through that.  She looked like she was ready to pass out at the end.  Good scores for that dance.

Alexa was absolutely the wrong one to leave tonight.  As much as I like Alek, he is the weakest dancer left.  Neither one of those two should have been the ones in jeopardy.  I'm happy that Tamar was safe, but I really hate that Alexa left.

• Love 3

Both Alek and Carlos come off as d-bags to me. I'm not surprised that they are still here, though. James Maslow is in Carlos' band and he lasted a while, so one can conclude that the people who voted for James also vote for Carlos. People like Alek are always popular with the people who watch the show, so no surprise there either. Besides, hot guys always get a pass from Carrie Ann and Julianne, while surly women are nitpicked no matter how well they dance.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1

I've got some dirt cheap oceanfront property for anyone who bought the timeline of Tamar's return Tom was giving us.  I am NOT saying Tom was prevaricating.  He can only tell us what TPTB tell him.

My niece was at last night's show. Apparently Tamar's return from the hospital was really pimped up, i.e. Tom was updating the crowd on what cross streets Tamar was at to be able to get to the show. And apparently Val was really THAT upset. 

I'm glad somebody else saw the similarities between the Gravity dance and Mark/Alexa's dance. I still remember that dance from SYTYCD. It was riveting. 

Carlos/Alexa was a little much last night. I understand all the emotion but damn, they were acting like she was getting thrown off a cliff. 

I really loved Nick's dance last night (and his butt did look more tucked last night, at least some of the time). However if I turned the sound down I could see a lot of Michael Jackson type moves in the dance (which he did execute well because what performer of his age didn't want to emulate MJ?)

Derek needs to stop. My cold cynical heart was just eye rolling over his choreographer issues. He could choreograph in his sleep with both hands behind his back. Plus I'm so confused about all the lifts? Remember back in the day when Carrie Ann would take off a point if the foot even left the ground? I also didn't get the blindfold (which was gauzy so she could have just seen through it. . . . )

I think the thing with Val is (you have to remember he is Russian in his thoughts) he was in an awkward and uncomfortable spot. He knows Tamar will continue come what may, but at the same time he knows she's not running on the 'full gear' (both time and energy - 'I have never experienceed this type of shcheduling before ' paraphrasing Val at the beginning), both of them need to push through these final few weeks of semis and finals. He wants to give her full choreo but he's is concerned it's not what she needs and yet here she is willing to do it. So what can he do??? I think that's what he meant by 'not wanting to make her life harder' It is an awkward spot for him too.

• Love 1
I'm not sure how much longer I can listen to Mark's Brit accent which is getting stronger imo. WTH?

It's just strange. I don't want to accuse him of putting it on but it's like sometimes he speaks with not a hint of an accent and then suddenly out of nowhere, this really strong psuedo-British accent comes out. I think it would seem less strange if he always spoke with a hint of it, so it was always subtly there. Instead it's like there's no accent and then out of the blue, this really strong British accent. 

I have to say I didn't pick up on any shade for Tamar from Val. I thought he seemed genuinely upset and concerned. That said, as bad as I felt for Tamar, what confused me was the fact that she left without saying anything to anyone, or so it was stated. They made it seem like even the producers and others didn't realize she'd left to go to the hospital and I did find it strange that she or her husband or someone did not send Val a text at least saying she really didn't feel well and thought it best to go get checked out at the hospital.

It reminds me of an appearance on Access Hollywood Live that she and Val was scheduled for that she didn't make and never called him. So that show too was Live and it started and Val alone was there and when the hosts asked him if Tamar had gotten into contact with him and explained why she's not there or if she's on her way or coming, Val said no, that he hadn't spoken to her at all. I thought that was very strange. 

I'm glad somebody else saw the similarities between the Gravity dance and Mark/Alexa's dance. I still remember that dance from SYTYCD. It was riveting.

Mia's Gravity dance is one of my all time favorite routines on SYTYCD - Kayla and Kupono were stunning in that number. And while I did think of it when hearing Mark's concept for his and Alexa's dance, I really didn't see much similarity in the choreography of the two dances so it doesn't bother me.

Hell a season or two after Mia's dance, Stacy Tookey did a contemporary on SYTYCD where the male represented fear, which was trying to control the woman in the dance and many felt that was similar to Gravity. I think the concept of one person in the dance representing some kind of emotion, object, etc. that the other has to fight against is not really that original and has been done many times before. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

My niece was at last night's show. Apparently Tamar's return from the hospital was really pimped up, i.e. Tom was updating the crowd on what cross streets Tamar was at to be able to get to the show. And apparently Val was really THAT upset. 

Very interesting. So did they fully know she was coming back, but pretended they didn't to add to the drama?

• Love 1

If you listen to him in longer interviews and such,he goes in and out of it a lot. I assume it gets stronger when he spends time with Shirley.

Like, my dad lives in Misssissippi and I live in Pennsylvania but by the time I'm done visiting with him, I pick up weird inflections that I don't usually have.

This seemed like such a strange show overall. The good thing is, they're all relatively good dancers (except Alek) who manage to entertain me in their dancing regardless of the video packages etc. Feels like awhile since I've felt that way towards this show.

• Love 2

Honestly I've never been a fan of Carlos. To me he gives off a controlling man vibe. Saying that, I don't have a problem with people being what seems to be overly emotional on the show at times. I think he was honestly upset for Alexa which actually surprised me a bit. At least his eyes were wet, unlike a lot of fake criers. I think when people have been in the DWTS bubble for many weeks, are exhausted and are being judged in front of millions of people it's not surprising if they get emotional.

I know people often comment that some celebrities take the show too seriously, that it's just a silly reality show, they weren't diagnosed with a terminal illness, etc., but it is their career and they are putting themselves out there to be judged and most times manipulated by TPTB. I'm sure they all go through a lot of sh*t from the producers and become frustrated with all of that as well. I doubt I'd do as well as most of them do under all the pressures and a few raw emotions showing through don't bother me.

I actually agreed with Carlos when he told Alexa to give them what they want. We know the show was salivating over putting the married couple in jeopardy. It must be so frustrating to the pairs when they work so hard and all the show seems to want is behind the scenes drama.

• Love 1

If you listen to him in longer interviews and such,he goes in and out of it a lot. I assume it gets stronger when he spends time with Shirley.

Like, my dad lives in Misssissippi and I live in Pennsylvania but by the time I'm done visiting with him, I pick up weird inflections that I don't usually have.

This seemed like such a strange show overall. The good thing is, they're all relatively good dancers (except Alek) who manage to entertain me in their dancing regardless of the video packages etc. Feels like awhile since I've felt that way towards this show.

Agreed.

My own accent comes and goes; when I'm tired or after an extended trip with family my accent is much stronger.

• Love 2

I didn't really see Val as shading Tamar, but I do think this is a totally new situation for Val.  He is used to having partners that while they may have had some other things going on, it didn't really get in the way of DWTS.  He's had partners that have really been able to put 100% into DWTS.  Either because they just loved dancing or loved the experience or because they wanted to win or for whatever reason.  Whereas Tamar puts in the time when she has the time so it's not that she isn't dedicated in that sense, but having a capable partner that can only rehearse 10 hours a week is a legitimate problem.

I feel for Tamar.  I really do.  I like her.  I think she does a damn lot and I feel bad she's done this to herself.   The colder part of me though is just trying to figure out why in the heck she signed up for this in the first place if she didn't have the time.  I've always had a bit of an issue with people who sign up for the show and then whine about how busy they are because at this point it's well documented how much time this show takes and how much a person needs to put in to get results.  Now in Tamar's case she hasn't been whining at all so I give her credit there, but I still go back to how in the heck did she think she could do this?

I also think the lack of rehearsal time some weeks is what is really holding me back from enjoying Tamar's dancing.  You can see she's good.  Dang good for the amount of time she puts in.  But as somebody else said, you can also see how much better Tamar could be if she had the time to devote to learning the dances.  It's somewhat frustrating to watch, and I'm not talking about last night where she obviously felt ill.  Also while I'm not really rooting for anyone to win this season, I have a hard time backing someone for a win who puts in as much time in one week as another person might put in in a day.  By finale time it's not unusual for a person to rehearse 10 hours in one day, so do I really think Tamar should win for putting in that amount of time?  Not really.   If it were circumstances beyond her control, then okay, but she's the one that scheduled her career in such a way.

I guess if I had to back someone it would be Nick, though I feel like it's a foregone conclusion that Bindi/Nick will be the Top 2 at this point.  Everyone else doesn't really have a real shot.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 4

"I wish it was me."  Carlos, she's booted off the show, she's not being marked for execution.

Yeah, but he set it up perfectly for us all to yell at our screens, "I wish it was you too!" So, there was that small satisfaction.

I wish Tamar had not made such efforts to come back this week. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been wishing for her to be out. But she obviously has been sick and is not giving herself time to get better. It doesn't sound like she's going to ease up on her schedule this week, if she can help it. So with tonight's scores, and the people who won't vote for her even though they do like her, because they figure she'll be too sick to continue, I wouldn't be surprised to see her out next week, when Alexa would have most likely been safe. But, that's the way the reality show crumbles.

Separate thought - why exactly did they need to wax Alek? It didn't seem like he was the one pushing for it. Why did they need him to have a super smooth chest to allow him to open his shirt? It's not like he was Chewbacca furry. What's wrong with showing some chest hair?

• Love 2

Separate thought - why exactly did they need to wax Alek? It didn't seem like he was the one pushing for it. Why did they need him to have a super smooth chest to allow him to open his shirt? It's not like he was Chewbacca furry. What's wrong with showing some chest hair?

The only thing I can think of is it's some unwritten dance rule.  The first time I remember someone doing this is when Heather Mills, I think, got Jonathan Roberts to wax his chest so he could have an open shirt during a dance.  That's going way back now.  I want to say it happened to someone else as well, but I could be wrong since I can't come up with a name.  But it just seems like in ballroom dancing men should not have chest hair.  ???

I thought it was really nice when Tom commended Val on being protective of his partners; I have always perceived him to be so, but it was good to hear it from someone who would have been in a position to see that on and off camera over the seasons.

• Love 2

It's always interesting to me that when tv does a chest hair wax, they don't trim the guy's chest fur first.  It would be WAY less painful if they did, but they're doing it for yucks so they make it as painful as possible and as visual as possible.  It's already like torture.

• Love 1

My take on Val was that he was really concerned about Tamar. And when he was trying to interrupt Tom, I thought I heard him start to say something like "It doesn't matter anyway," as in, Tamar won't make it back so we'll be eliminated. I guess I need to go back and rewatch.

I also thought Carlos and Alek should have helped Lindsay and Witney down from the platform. It would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. I've never been a Carlos fan, but Alek has lost me with his attitude and lack of improvement in past few weeks. I would have been happy to see him or Carlos go home last night.

And Mark's accent! It bugs me too. I don't understand why it comes and goes in consecutive sentences, and sometimes even within the same sentence. But I get what some others have said upthread. I'm from a small town in North Carolina, and I've worked really hard to get rid of my Southern accent. But when I go back home, or even talk on the phone with someone from there, my son can't believe how I sound; my accent goes full-on hillbilly. So maybe Mark has a similar experience when hanging out with his mom.

The only thing I can think of is it's some unwritten dance rule.  The first time I remember someone doing this is when Heather Mills, I think, got Jonathan Roberts to wax his chest so he could have an open shirt during a dance.  That's going way back now.  I want to say it happened to someone else as well, but I could be wrong since I can't come up with a name.  But it just seems like in ballroom dancing men should not have chest hair.  ???

They made Charlie do it on his season as well.  I'm sure it must be a preferred look, but I have to say, I'd much rather see a man with chest hair poking through than a completely hairless chest.  

• Love 3
The colder part of me though is just trying to figure out why in the heck she signed up for this in the first place if she didn't have the time.  I've always had a bit of an issue with people who sign up for the show and then whine about how busy they are because at this point it's well documented how much time this show takes and how much a person needs to put in to get results.  Now in Tamar's case she hasn't been whining at all so I give her credit there, but I still go back to how in the heck did she think she could do this?

Also, anyone with any passing familiarity of the show should realize that not giving 110% in rehearsals (or being perceived as such) practically guarantees a bad edit.  

My wife can't stand that Alek is still there.  Personally, I don't mind.  For someone who was not a "celebrity" until a few weeks before he was cast, and who I'm assuming doesn't have a coterie of handlers, I think he's conducted himself fairly well.  I think his being cast in the first place is ridiculous.  And I'd love to know the "star" they bumped at the last minute in order to cast him.  But setting that aside, I don't have a major issue with his continued presence on the show.

• Love 3

If Tamar is so busy that she cant do DWTS without stressing herself and Val she should have passed. And Im sick of hearing her stupid scratch voice. If she's sick, stay the hell home or in the hospital or wherever she was.

• Love 5

Although Mark was born in the U.S., he spent most of his life in the UK, so he probably had to work on unlearning the accent. I've been done with Alek for weeks now and I think Bindi has it in the bag.  The final will be Bindi and Nick and Bindi will win.  Madame Pomfoollery so predicts.

Cliff notes!

The song is Roses & Violets, written by Stephan Moccio and I'm not sure if BC Jean helped co-write it, from a writing retreat that Stephan and BC attended some years ago.  Earlier this year, BC pulled it out, dusted it off and handed it off to Mark to produce as the first single from "Alexander Jean" which seems to be a push to get BC some cred as a singer.  She 1st publicly sang it (with Mark on guitar and backup vocals) at Sadie's brother's wedding this past summer.

Derek has said that he usually experiences "choreographer's block" (?) at least once every season. I remember it vividly from Maria's semi-finals and also during Bethany's season at some point. Those episodes weren't highlighted quite like this one, possibly because another couple was affected by it this time. But blocks are very common in the creative process, whether the artist is great or mediocre.

J.R.R. Tolkien, for example, could not finish his last novel, "The Silmarillion" because of it. He asked for help from an American professor who spent the entire summer of 1965 poring over the manuscript to find a way to tie the sub-themes into the major plot. He found a way and Tolkien finished the book before he died.

It seems like I remember Tony? volunteering to have something waxed if he got a ten from Len at some point.

Many of the Pros have said celebs sign up for DWTS not realizing the amount of time and hard labor is involved in learning a new skill as difficult as dancing. Tamar might be one who didn't, although her sister surely must have told her. In Tamar's case though she is partnered with Val who can't stand to waste one hour of valuable rehearsal time and his stress was evident.

I don't blame any Pro who was stressed by the reduced numer of practice hours due to having to travel and attend "shows" for inspiration. I don't think Val was the only one who felt added pressure from it. One thought I had which is one that always comes back to me: money. There had to be advertising dollars pouring into ABC's pockets from the Cruise Line and two shows.

If Tamar is so busy that she cant do DWTS without stressing herself and Val she should have passed. And Im sick of hearing her stupid scratch voice. If she's sick, stay the hell home or in the hospital or wherever she was.

This!!!!  I don't care who you are, if you are too damn busy to make time for rehersals and putting in the time required you should not be there. But then shouldn't TPTB have known this before she signed up? I am tired of people coming on the show (she isn't the first) and then talking about how busy they are. YOU SIGNED UP FOR THIS YOU IDIOT!!  As a viewer I. DON'T. CARE.!!!!!!!  It is a disservice to both the pro you are with and the viewers to not give it your all.

The sickness just adds another level of annoyance. She is contagious so she is putting everyone around her at risk. I am sure the other 'stars' (a term I use loosely) did not sign up to be continually exposed to someone who doesn't have the common sense to stay home. I do not applaud Tamar at all - I think it was a totally selfish move. It is one thing to dance with an injury - you are only putting yourself and maybe your partner at risk. When you are there with a contagious disease you are putting everyone at risk and  not something to be admired. It is a friggin' dance show and just not that important in the long run. Get over yourself.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 7

I doubt people will throw their votes behind someone they think may be a foregone conclusion to waste them because she's too sick. So I can't see Nick not winning--despite Julianne's best efforts to pimp her brother's partner as the second coming by using every superlative there is. I'd like to see Nick do this week's dance again when he's had more training. It could have been so great if he were able to execute it crisper.

Bindi the insufferable is a better dancer than Nick but they're both (along w/ Alexa) not on Tamar's level. Even at her worst with pneumonia she's better than them, aside from lack of polish from it being rehearsal footage or fresh from the hospital! Also I don't see how her rehearsal scored 7's compared to Alek's lumbering about in his rudimentary routine.

When Tamar returned, Val looked ashamed for selling her down the river (again) and Julianne kept twitching as though she was being jabbed from the thorn in her side returning. After the dance she couldn't hide her gritted teeth and entirely discredited Tamar by only praising NICK for PROPPING HER UP and all she mustered for Tamar was to try to manipulate the audience into focusing on her being unfit to compete ("go eat something"). It's official: I have no respect for blackface-wearing, corrupt and unapologetically biased Julianne. And Val? Really poor choice of words: "She's someone who should never have been here" etc. I've lost some respect for your fine, but fairweather self, too.

Thank you. She has no place judging on the show with her past and her connection to Derek. She's not even pretending not to be biased at this point and is just an overall ugly person. Her hatefulness is awful to watch. Poor Tamar.

• Love 3

It's an embarrassment that Alek is still there.  He's far and away the worst one left.  There is a such a huge and noticeable difference between him and Bindi, Tamar and Nick.  He should have been eliminated weeks ago.

If Tamar goes home before Alek, there is no justice.  I gave all my votes to her this week to try and prevent that from happening.

• Love 5

Derek & Bindi: Loved it. Not completely sold on the blindfold concept, but beyond that I like that he kept it simple.

I loved the dance as well. In fact, I would have been intrigued if they'd kept the blindfold on the entire time, just to see how super-attuned with one another they could have stayed (because they really did seem to be well-attuned last night). But I imagine they would have had to skip certain moves that would be too dangerous or difficult to do when one partner can't see. I mean, obviously she must be able to see something (it wasn't a complete blackout kind of mask), but I think moves like that falling leap she did would have been pretty dangerous with sight hindered. Still... could have been interesting.

But I did love what they did, and I'm not surprised Bindi was so emotionally affected. They were very well connected last night.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

I do think the show went a step TOO FAR by taking Alexa out back and executing her after the show. I mean, that's just unnecessary. Now Carlos will be forced to dance in his gilded cage while grieving for the wife he'll never see again? Horrific. I mean, there is a line here, show and they just cross...

But think of the pull-at-the-heartstrings, most dramatic time of his life dance he'll get to perform next week. A producer's hat is always on.

• Love 1

What's more embarrassing is that Alek is just one point behind Tamar. He doesn't need a huge number of votes to get past her. I feel bad for her really. If she didn't show up, people would have accused her of faking her illness like they did Kim Z. She was damned if she did, damned if she didn't.

I wonder how many people expressing " concern" for Tamar and suggesting she drop out because her health is more important, really just want her gone so their fave can stay in. I will keep voting for her and Val ( along with Alek ) because I like watching them dance and I don't like being manipulated by producers to make me dislike them.

When these two are gone...could be next week...I will probably vote for Nick, half heartedly though.

• Love 5

I  wonder where Derek and Julianne's British accents are?

Bindi shouldn't have had to be the one comforting Derek. GAH!

I liked Nick and Sharna's dance, but it seemed he was dancing more with the other two guys than with Sharna.

Is Tamar contagious?

I am concerned for her health, and do not enjoy her dancing, AND wish she were gone.