Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I can only hope she found herself another turkey family or someone relocated her to a less dangerous area. 

It's illegal to shoot a turkey in an urban area in most states so I doubt she was killed, at least that way.  Hopefully she found herself a handsome dude and they are off making whoopee.

We have tons of wild turkeys in our rural area, they always manage to decide to stroll (ever so slowly) across the road when I am on the back roads.  And they always do it in single file. I picture them saying "neener neener" as they cross in front of me.

The local paper always publishes a "How to cook a turkey" supplement in the weekly paper with the articles written by third and fourth graders.  It's always a hoot to read - cooking times and temps are deadly (cook 15 minutes at 110 degrees) but one decided it should be well done so suggested 100,000 degrees.  About half say their family buys a turkey the other half hunt them.   Stuffing is all over the place including one that suggested chocolate might be tasty. I always look forward to that edition!

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Cetacean said:

It's illegal to shoot a turkey in an urban area in most states so I doubt she was killed, at least that way.  Hopefully she found herself a handsome dude and they are off making whoopee.

We have tons of wild turkeys in our rural area, they always manage to decide to stroll (ever so slowly) across the road when I am on the back roads.  And they always do it in single file. I picture them saying "neener neener" as they cross in front of me.

LOL, I hope you're right!  There are a lot of wild turkeys around here so that might be the case.  I too often have to stop while they cross the road in front of me.  I always have a smile on my face whenever I see the turkeys.  A woman coming in the opposite direction and I stopped at the same time and shared a good laugh at their nonchalance.  I opened my window and said, "Bunch of jive turkeys, huh?"

I live on the edge of a nature preserve so I see just about everything around here that can be seen.  Hawks, Owls, bunnies, deer, bear, ducks, geese, coyote, hummingbirds, mourning doves, you name it!  I haven't seen a bobcat, although our local paper prints photos of animal sightings and a photo of a beautiful one was posted last week.  One week someone posted an eagle.  We have a resurgence of eagles in this area now - neat!

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Discovery plus is $.99 for 3 months.

Hulu is $.99 for 12 months.

I signed up for both. 

Thanks for the reminder! I cancelled my existing accounts and got the deal by using an alternate email address! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Discovery plus is $.99 for 3 months.

Hulu is $.99 for 12 months.

I signed up for both. 

Thank you so much!  I would have been so upset if I missed this!  I've been hoping for a Hulu deal for this year (I get Discovery+ free from Verizon).  A couple of shows I want to watch are moving there in 2022 like "The Orville" in March.  I think I'm going to go post this on that board because I know a lot of people were grumbling about having to pay to see it after it was free for so long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Thank you so much!  I would have been so upset if I missed this!  I've been hoping for a Hulu deal for this year (I get Discovery+ free from Verizon).  A couple of shows I want to watch are moving there in 2022 like "The Orville" in March.  I think I'm going to go post this on that board because I know a lot of people were grumbling about having to pay to see it after it was free for so long.

You are very welcome!

• Love 4

Wooo you can all call me Aqua Fresh, as I'm now triple protected! My husband and I got our covid boosters last evening.(I got my flu shot, too)

I was feeling good all day, just a mild sore arm, until a little while ago when I suddenly started running a 102 fever, had bad chills, body aches and nausea. I took alka seltzer cold and the fever just broke, and I feel loads better already.    Still a little achy, tired and dramatic, but I can sloth for a few days if necessary. This threw me, because all I had the first two times was the sore arm. I wonder if adding the flu shot was too much? 
  I'll still take this over having covid! If covid is worse than what I've been feeling, I want no part of it.

Of course, my husband has had zero symptoms at all for all 3 shots, but he's a giant baby, so it worked out for the best. 😆 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Wooo you can all call me Aqua Fresh, as I'm now triple protected! My husband and I got our covid boosters last evening.(I got my flu shot, too)

I was feeling good all day, just a mild sore arm, until a little while ago when I suddenly started running a 102 fever, had bad chills, body aches and nausea. I took alka seltzer cold and the fever just broke, and I feel loads better already.    Still a little achy, tired and dramatic, but I can sloth for a few days if necessary. This threw me, because all I had the first two times was the sore arm. I wonder if adding the flu shot was too much? 

Congratulations!  I consider you brave doing both shots at once.  I tend to be sensitive to everything so I have learned that in my case it's best not to combine things like this.  I got cured of that after being told that it was "completely fine" to have all four wisdom teeth removed at the same time.  Yeah, THAT turned out to be a disaster.  One of my lower wisdom teeth shattered and they had to spend extra time making double sure that every tiny piece was out or else it could cause an infection.  The anesthesia started wearing off in the meantime and I was in horrible pain.  They had to give me more, and that only caused a sensitivity reaction.  I also had a migraine intensity headache for a month that even super strong pain meds. could only barely improve.  Then I had a bad reaction to the pain meds. and had to go on extra-extra strength Tylenol with codeine.  So I was feeling drowsy and out of it on top of being in pain.  Plus they had to come too close to the nerve in the lower jaw (which is always a danger with oral surgery in the lower jaw) and I was numb on one side for months.  Fortunately it did not affect my facial muscles so I didn't look weird.  But it was just horrible and I'm sure that it would have been much less so if I hadn't decided to do all 4 at once.  Sometimes I think the people that recommend these things are the same ones that can take any drug and have no bad reactions and bounce back from everything in record time.  But I am not that person and everyone's different.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I'll still take this over having covid! If covid is worse than what I've been feeling, I want no part of it.

Of course, my husband has had zero symptoms at all for all 3 shots, but he's a giant baby, so it worked out for the best. 😆 

I was okay with the first covid shot, other than my arm hurt.  2nd shot arm hurt and felt bad, no fever.  Flu shot okay.  Covid booster arm hurt and felt bad.  Not so bad I needed to go to bed, but just sat around watching Netflix.  

The only issue I had with all 4 was my arm itching at the injection site, for weeks.  Must be something in it I am allergic to

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I was okay with the first covid shot, other than my arm hurt.  2nd shot arm hurt and felt bad, no fever.  Flu shot okay.  Covid booster arm hurt and felt bad.  Not so bad I needed to go to bed, but just sat around watching Netflix.  

The only issue I had with all 4 was my arm itching at the injection site, for weeks.  Must be something in it I am allergic to

Wasn’t bad for me either. I’ve had 3 covid shots and only ever had a sore arm each time, kinda like I got punched *really* hard. Not bad enough to stop me from running or biking. 

I’m a little nervous about the new variant but doctors are saying it’s been “mild” and that when viruses like this mutate, they spread easier but are less severe. It’ll be with humans forever, some are saying. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

YeahNo, I'm so sorry for your wisdom teeth debacle! How awful and intense. I had all 4 done at the same time and they did something to my sinuses and I had a swollen and bruised face for a while, but it wasn't too terrible, thank goodness.

Pickle, I've been reading that some people get that itching at the injection spot. Good to know you had the yuck at the booster, too, but I'm sorry you experienced it.

TurtlePower, you are like my husband! Except he got very light arm soreness with only the first shot. I wanted to punch his arm just so he knew what I was feeling 😆 

I just woke up and feel better! My armpit on the covid side is really painful. Still a little achy all over, but not terribly so, I have a headache and am still very tired. I don't feel like I've got a fever, but haven't checked yet. We'll see what the day holds, but I've got Christmas movies to watch and knitting if I need to lay around!

I'm worried about the new variant, too. And then the next one, and one after that.. I do believe we'll always have it around, and it makes me nervous, because there's still so much unknown about covid. 

• Love 5

So on Tuesday I was fine. Woke up on Wednesday sick as a dog. Today sick as a dog…

Since I can smell/taste food hope it’s just a cold.

I seem to be getting sick at least once a year. Apparently My immune system is weak…

Hope you all are doing better than me 😂.

• Love 6

My husband combined the flu shot and the booster in the same day, and experienced the same mild next day effects as I did when I got my booster. Just felt tired and lethargic for a day. 

@Yeah No, your wisdom tooth removal experience was crazy! I also had my 4 teeth removed at the same time, and was very lucky that they didn’t run into issues, as all 4 were impacted. However, I developed a terrible case of dry sockets and couldn’t take the Tylenol with codeine that was prescribed because that’s when I discovered that codeine causes terrible nausea and vomiting for me. I had to go to the dentist every day for a week to have them flush and check how things were healing. Fortunately I worked next door to my dentist so it was easy for me to pop over daily. My husband had his out a couple years later and had no problems at all. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 5

I have some friends who are triple shotted and flu shots  and have gotten colds.  They tell me they wear masks when they are in stores or with people they don't know and are routine hand washers.  How does one get a cold?  Actually curious.  Can those particles get through the masks?

• Love 6

I was diagnosed with breast cancer (different types in both breasts) and lung cancer.   Surgery in Oct for breast cancer.  They can't do lung surgery, so in November,  I had to have intensive radiation.  Two days after I finished that I had more surgery for breasts.  Doctors didn't want me to have either a flu shot or covid booster.   Two days after second surgery I came down with the flu!   I swear it was a test to see exactly how much my body could take in one week.   Finally I can get the booster - scheduled for Monday.   Last time the second shot kicked my a$$.  Was in bed for 4 days.    So, busy getting things done in anticipation so if I get a reaction I won't be worrying about things I have to do.  Radiation has made me so tired it takes forever to do anything. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I’m a little nervous about the new variant but doctors are saying it’s been “mild” and that when viruses like this mutate, they spread easier but are less severe. It’ll be with humans forever, some are saying. 

A lot of us are hoping for that.  Hospitalizations are way up in SA though so all cases aren't so mild.  We'll have to wait a couple more weeks to get better stats.  Most viruses get milder since if they kill their victims too much they run out of hosts and burn out.  H1N1 has been with us for over 100 years now and still usually kills a few people a year, but it's low enough we accept the risk. 

• Useful 4
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I have some friends who are triple shotted and flu shots  and have gotten colds.  They tell me they wear masks when they are in stores or with people they don't know and are routine hand washers.  How does one get a cold?  Actually curious.  Can those particles get through the masks?

Yes, some particles can get through cloth masks or usually around the masks.  That's why the doctors emphasize tight fit so much.  On average a fairly well fitted surgical mask is around 75% effective.  A lot of the issue is the gaps with surgical masks.  Also colds can be spread by fomites.  That's the touching surfaces way of transmission.  So if you have cold virus on your mask, remove it by touching the front, forget to hand sanitize and idly touch your face near nose, mouth, or eyes, you can transfer the virus.  Or if you shop for groceries say and forget to hand sanitize when you leave the store, presuming you were wearing a mask, you may transfer virus from having touched things in the store. 

Granddaughter has had three colds since in person school resumed last spring even while mask wearing.  It's probably from touching articles and surfaces with her or sitting too closely while they have lunch.   She gets her second dose of Pfizer today though so we can be happy for that.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Yes, the virus can get through masks especially cloth ones. Certified, properly (tight) fitting N95s can keep it out, but the mask wearing was meant to protect others from you, not you from them. If someone is wearing a cloth mask and a non-mask wearer talks loudly or coughs, the virus can get through the cloth mask the person is wearing. 

So they say with everyone wearing masks (preferably N95s or equivalent) and wearing them properly, it should prevent transmission. 

Edited to Add: Absolom beat me to it and said it better 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

YeahNo, I'm so sorry for your wisdom teeth debacle! How awful and intense. I had all 4 done at the same time and they did something to my sinuses and I had a swollen and bruised face for a while, but it wasn't too terrible, thank goodness.

Pickle, I've been reading that some people get that itching at the injection spot. Good to know you had the yuck at the booster, too, but I'm sorry you experienced it.

TurtlePower, you are like my husband! Except he got very light arm soreness with only the first shot. I wanted to punch his arm just so he knew what I was feeling 😆 

I just woke up and feel better! My armpit on the covid side is really painful. Still a little achy all over, but not terribly so, I have a headache and am still very tired. I don't feel like I've got a fever, but haven't checked yet. We'll see what the day holds, but I've got Christmas movies to watch and knitting if I need to lay around!

I'm worried about the new variant, too. And then the next one, and one after that.. I do believe we'll always have it around, and it makes me nervous, because there's still so much unknown about covid. 

Yes I thought I would , not really bad enough to stay in bed, but didn't want to do anything.  My daughter had the armpit thing with her booster.  She looked it up and said it could be a side effect of the shot.

Glad you are feeling better to.  I had mine on the holiday weekend so I didn't have to miss work if I felt bad.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Hospitalizations are way up in SA though so all cases aren't so mild.  

It will also be interesting to know how many of the hospitalized were fully vaxxed (<25% in SA population, <10% in other parts of Africa have had one dose).

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Yes, the virus can get through masks especially cloth ones. Certified, properly (tight) fitting N95s can keep it out, but the mask wearing was meant to protect others from you, not you from them. If someone is wearing a cloth mask and a non-mask wearer talks loudly or coughs, the virus can get through the cloth mask the person is wearing. 

So they say with everyone wearing masks (preferably N95s or equivalent) and wearing them properly, it should prevent transmission. 

Edited to Add: Absolom beat me to it and said it better 

Thanks to both of you.  I figured there was a reason. I usually wear one of those blue masks with a cloth one that I made over it.  It fits pretty tightly.  I am also an avid hand washer and don't touch my face.  So maybe I can avoid a cold.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

It will also be interesting to know how many of the hospitalized were fully vaxxed (<25% in SA population, <10% in other parts of Africa have had one dose).

That's a huge part of it. So few fully vaccinated people on the African continent.  Sad, really.

13 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

I was diagnosed with breast cancer (different types in both breasts) and lung cancer.   Surgery in Oct for breast cancer.  They can't do lung surgery, so in November,  I had to have intensive radiation.  Two days after I finished that I had more surgery for breasts.  Doctors didn't want me to have either a flu shot or covid booster.   Two days after second surgery I came down with the flu!   I swear it was a test to see exactly how much my body could take in one week.   Finally I can get the booster - scheduled for Monday.   Last time the second shot kicked my a$$.  Was in bed for 4 days.    So, busy getting things done in anticipation so if I get a reaction I won't be worrying about things I have to do.  Radiation has made me so tired it takes forever to do anything. 

I hope you’re feeling better soon.  That’s a lot to go through.  Hope the booster doesn’t treat you too bad.  

• Love 6
15 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Ouch, bruises and swelling don't sound not too terrible, but I'll take your word for it.  And thank you!

15 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Yeah No, your wisdom tooth removal experience was crazy! I also had my 4 teeth removed at the same time, and was very lucky that they didn’t run into issues, as all 4 were impacted. However, I developed a terrible case of dry sockets and couldn’t take the Tylenol with codeine that was prescribed because that’s when I discovered that codeine causes terrible nausea and vomiting for me. I had to go to the dentist every day for a week to have them flush and check how things were healing. Fortunately I worked next door to my dentist so it was easy for me to pop over daily. My husband had his out a couple years later and had no problems at all. 

Ouch, sounds familiar except I didn't get the dry sockets.  Mine were impacted too.  I was about 37 years old at the time.  I managed to go to work every day but I was in such pain it was hard to concentrate.  On top of that one of the people I supported at the time was a real Cruella who had zero empathy for what I was going through and did nothing but tell me how I wasn't working up to par.  Even before this she got snotty with me if I tried to take a half hour lunch break.  I complained about her to HR and was told to ignore her, that she was leaving for another office in a few weeks.  That was back in the good old days when HR sometimes actually had your back.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

It's not just the new variants I worry about but the rise in cases at this time of year.  And the number of breakthrough cases, which will undoubtedly rise as people who were double vaccinated months ago need to get boosters but don't.

My husband is driving a handful of people now but he's been very busy down to NYC and back on a regular basis and although they are presumably careful they are engaging in some activities I would never do even when the numbers were low.  So I am still convinced that one of them is going to give him Covid and he'll give it to me and one or both of us will be either messed up for life or die.....I am high risk on a few counts and being triple vaccinated isn't much consolation.  And you know my father died of this, so that is still fresh in my mind too.  😟

I have nowhere to hide from this, I can only hope that this doesn't happen, but with new variants and rising cases my worry increases daily.

It is also still fresh in my mind how my husband brought home a nasty flu or some kind of virus in August of 2019.  He had a glancing blow but I was flat on my back for almost 2 weeks and didn't fully recover for a month, which is not uncommon for me and viruses.  He traced it back to a passenger in his limo. that was coughing the whole way home a week or so before.  It was someone he picked up at JFK from an international flight although he couldn't remember from where.  Also, the symptoms were very different from the usual flu as I remember.  I felt like my wind was out of my sails completely and I didn't have that much in the way of nasal congestion.  It was more the malaise and the extreme fatigue.  It was more like the descriptions of Covid than the flu.

10 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I think the right masks do protect the wearer at least as much as they protect others.  For some reason the CDC didn't say this in the beginning of the pandemic and it seems to have stuck that the masks were only for others, when that's not the case.  My KN95s form a pretty tight seal around my face.  I have to bend the top piece to fit my nose and when I get it right it's so tight that the mask gets sucked in when I inhale.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think the right masks do protect the wearer at least as much as they protect others.  For some reason the CDC didn't say this in the beginning of the pandemic and it seems to have stuck that the masks were only for others, when that's not the case.  My KN95s form a pretty tight seal around my face.  I have to bend the top piece to fit my nose and when I get it right it's so tight that the mask gets sucked in when I inhale.

Thank you for posting that.  I get tired of correcting what was said wrong the first six months or so.  Excellent fit there.  I put the masks on and then check in the mirror.  

Last year I had a graphic of one person wearing a mask and how the particles went and then showing the reduction getting to each person when both are masked.  Universal masking would reduce transmission SO much.  It's easy and relatively cheap and yet people balk at such a simple way to protect themselves and others.   It reminds me of seatbelts and that was pretty much only self-interest and people refused.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 8
On 12/3/2021 at 1:22 AM, Yeah No said:

It's not just the new variants I worry about but the rise in cases at this time of year.  And the number of breakthrough cases, which will undoubtedly rise as people who were double vaccinated months ago need to get boosters but don't.

My husband is driving a handful of people now but he's been very busy down to NYC and back on a regular basis and although they are presumably careful they are engaging in some activities I would never do even when the numbers were low.  So I am still convinced that one of them is going to give him Covid and he'll give it to me and one or both of us will be either messed up for life or die.....I am high risk on a few counts and being triple vaccinated isn't much consolation.  And you know my father died of this, so that is still fresh in my mind too.  😟

I have nowhere to hide from this, I can only hope that this doesn't happen, but with new variants and rising cases my worry increases daily.

It is also still fresh in my mind how my husband brought home a nasty flu or some kind of virus in August of 2019.  He had a glancing blow but I was flat on my back for almost 2 weeks and didn't fully recover for a month, which is not uncommon for me and viruses.  He traced it back to a passenger in his limo. that was coughing the whole way home a week or so before.  It was someone he picked up at JFK from an international flight although he couldn't remember from where.  Also, the symptoms were very different from the usual flu as I remember.  I felt like my wind was out of my sails completely and I didn't have that much in the way of nasal congestion.  It was more the malaise and the extreme fatigue.  It was more like the descriptions of Covid than the flu.

I am convinced covid was circulating before 2020. I became severely ill in November 2019 with unusual fatigue and respiratory distress. It was BAD, as I rarely get sick. I could barely walk, could not taste or smell, had fever and the worst sore throat of my life. When they said covid was “out” in 2020, I was thinking “gosh that sounds an awful lot like what we had in November.” Then I think we got it again in May 2020, but they were telling everyone stay home, so we stayed sick at home. Currently triple vaccinated because, yikes. Hopefully it keeps mutating to a less severe version. 

I remember seeing articles that provided evidence the virus was circulating before 2020 but of course I can’t find them now (found in old blood samples/fecal testing).  

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I am convinced covid was circulating before 2020. I became severely ill in November 2019 with unusual fatigue and respiratory distress. It was BAD, as I rarely get sick. I could barely walk, could not taste or smell, had fever and the worst sore throat of my life. When they said covid was “out” in 2020, I was thinking “gosh that sounds an awful lot like what we had in November.” Then I think we got it again in May 2020, but they were telling everyone stay home, so we stayed sick at home. Currently triple vaccinated because, yikes. Hopefully it keeps mutating to a less severe version. 

I remember seeing articles that provided evidence the virus was circulating before 2020 but of course I can’t find them now (found in old blood samples/fecal testing).  

That sounds like what I had!  I remember telling my husband I was getting worried about myself at the time because I felt that bad and it was taking forever to go away.  I was very close to calling my doctor. 

I saw those articles too.  Whenever a new one comes out they seem to push the date of when Covid was first found in Europe back even earlier.  Now I'm reading that it could have been there as early as Summer 2019 based on sewage samples tested from that time revealing Covid antibodies.  Before I had the vaccine I wanted to get a Covid antibody test to see if I ever had the virus, but they weren't available yet.  Now Quest Diagnostics is offering a reasonably priced antibody test to anyone that pays for it.  All you do is pay online, set up an appointment at one of their labs and have blood drawn.  I don't know if it is accurate as to the strength of your protection, though.  I'm reading things that don't exactly sound too promising for people in my age bracket even if we are triple vaccinated.  Like we have a lower level of immunity even after all those shots and our potential death rate is not exactly as low as they were originally billing it to be for everyone across the board.  

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Like you I’m 100% sure I had COVID thanksgiving 2019. I have never been that sick in my life. Ever.  I did the anti body test in summer 2020 that said I had anti bodies to COVID.

glad we both recovered!

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Covid may well have been circulating at Thanksgiving 2019, perhaps as a pre-Alpha variant.

If it was circulating Thanksgiving, 2019, it would have likely been the non-variant wild type (the original).   

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, Absolom said:

If it was circulating Thanksgiving, 2019, it would have likely been the non-variant wild type (the original).   

That sounds like what I read in one of those articles.  They said that the version in 2019 would have been the original virus, not even the same as what took hold in the Spring of 2020.  The theory is that the original virus mutated into a much more contagious and virulent version and that's the one that spread so fast in 2020.

• Useful 8
On 12/4/2021 at 7:49 AM, TurtlePower said:

Oddly enough my husband came down with a severe "Flu" two weeks before Thanksgiving 2019.  He was tired Monday morning (not unusual) and drove to his job site for that week about 6 hours away.  By evening he had a fever, severe fatigue and heavy brain fog.  He was short of breath and had a cough if he breathed too deep.

Since he was so sick he normally would have come home.  He was working solo so he couldn't and his boss paid the hotel bill/food etc for him to stay put.  He had a hell of a time that week, but he wasn't well enough to drive.  We wrote it off as a really bad flu. If he lost taste or smell, he was too sick to notice. He did improve enough to drive home that Friday and was still fatigued that weekend.  He was afraid to make me sick and so we stayed away from each other and I did extra cleaning etc.

After Covid hit the news he always wondered if he had it.

• Useful 8
  • Love 1

We believe my husband had it in 2019, too! He had all the exact symptoms and has never been so sick in his life. (He's super high risk, with copd, asthma, high bp and over 60.)
   Nothing worked to alleviate any of what he was feeling, he couldn't breathe or walk without support of furniture and walls. He swears that Campbell's chicken gumbo soup saved him an er trip, because it immediately opened up his breathing, to where his hands and feet tingled and his lips changed from gray to pink.

No other soup had that effect, we tried them when he could get food down. It's got to be the red pepper? (He's since had friends try it when they caught covid and they report the same immediate breathing relief. I know it sounds like woo, but I saw it work on him, and anything that helps, that's not horse dewormer or bleach injections, I'll keep in my arsenal lol.)

It took him a long time to get back to 'normal', but he still has a change in his lung function. I don't think I caught it, (if I did, I had no symptoms), but I distanced, gloved, masked and disinfected things constantly when he was ill, since I'm a germophobe--the one time it came in handy! 

Once we heard about the virus in Jan, when the 'experts' were saying we didn't have to worry, I went ahead and panicked, planned, and stocked up on food and supplies, and we started staying home and away from people as much as possible, and masked when we had to go out, but that's when it clicked that he'd probably already had the original version.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1

All of rhe Mask Morons are a symptom of the truly appalling lack of knowledge of the American people.  They all need an emergency course in the respiratory system and how it works.  Do they not know that both the nose and mouth are responsible for spewing infectious particles?

I weep for our education system.

• Love 9

I also had a horrible flu type thing in late 2019.   Horrible time breathing, high fever, aches, etc.   After Covid hit, they gave me an antibody test, and it came back negative, so turns out it was just the flu.     Finally had my booster.  Awful headache, aches, fatigue, but it went away pretty quickly.   Yesterday managed to get house "deep" cleaned, lots of laundry done, etc.   That alone makes me feel better.

Due to ongoing health issues, Dr's recommend isolating as much as possible.  Strict rules in place for kids coming home for Christmas.  No indoor dining, no indoor meeting up with friends, etc.    Not much fun for them, but I just can't take the chance.

• Love 11

So, after getting 3 full doses of Moderna ( I got third full dose due being immunocompromised), I hear that Pfizer’s booster is effective for the Omicron variant.  Lol Oh well, in 6 months I’ll qualify for a booster and will get Pfizer then.  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, after getting 3 full doses of Moderna ( I got third full dose due being immunocompromised), I hear that Pfizer’s booster is effective for the Omicron variant.  Lol Oh well, in 6 months I’ll qualify for a booster and will get Pfizer then.

The announcement that Pfizer is effective doesn't mean Moderna isn't.  The vaccines are so similar that usually you can infer that the same applies to Moderna.  Their PR department just isn't as active and not all countries are using Moderna.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9