Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

Anyone here in Texas?  I have friends there who are extremely upset at the lifting of all restrictions and masks no longer being required.  But I also know that several businesses are still going to "require" masks, like Target, many restaurants, etc.  Here's my question - isn't this a recipe for disaster?  I can see MANY people strolling on into whatever business they want, maskless, because the governor told them they could, which leaves the employees of those businesses to police it themselves.  Given the tension surrounding the pandemic, this all makes me nervous.  I feel like other states are going to follow suit and decide that masks aren't necessary while business owners disagree.  I have family members who have been fighting masks all along - if our governor decided to go this route (she won't but if she did), they'd probably have a bonfire and throw all their masks into it while dancing and cheering.  I don't think this is going to make life easier - if anything, we're going to go back in the other direction.  Thoughts?

• Love 2
(edited)
34 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I don't think this is going to make life easier - if anything, we're going to go back in the other direction. 

Absoluely agree.  And with the variants being much more communicable I can just see another big spike on the horizon.  

Edited by Cetacean
26 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Anyone here in Texas?  I have friends there who are extremely upset at the lifting of all restrictions and masks no longer being required.  But I also know that several businesses are still going to "require" masks, like Target, many restaurants, etc.  Here's my question - isn't this a recipe for disaster?  I can see MANY people strolling on into whatever business they want, maskless, because the governor told them they could, which leaves the employees of those businesses to police it themselves.  Given the tension surrounding the pandemic, this all makes me nervous.  I feel like other states are going to follow suit and decide that masks aren't necessary while business owners disagree.  I have family members who have been fighting masks all along - if our governor decided to go this route (she won't but if she did), they'd probably have a bonfire and throw all their masks into it while dancing and cheering.  I don't think this is going to make life easier - if anything, we're going to go back in the other direction.  Thoughts?

I live in Texas and I agree with you. May company says that they require masks in the factory and the employees to wear them on the stores but we are not to `police ` our customers. I will  tell my team to continue to do what we have been doing,  if someone comes in without a mask, sees us wearing one and asks if it is required we will say " No but if you have one I would appreciate you wearing one." The problem with my company we sell shoes and we are an old fashioned shoe store. We measure your feet, take off your shoes and put on the shoes you want to try on. We sit on the fitting stool and talk with you about how they fit. All this takes time which puts us exactly where CDC says we should NOT be..closer than 6 feet away, talking for over 20 minutes.  We had a manager meeting yesterday where I told everyone  including district manager and his boss that I was uncomfortable doing that with someone without a mask. I would do my best..I have been doing this for 30 years..but I wanted to take care of myself and the customer.  One of them said I did not have to worry as long as I washed my hands and did not touch my face. I was told to do the best I could as long as there were no customer complaints. Sadly two of the managers did not wear a mask and after I said my piece one of them said " If people were that afraid they should just stay home." My response was if I could I would.  Yes I am concerned there will be an increase if cases and I am trying with all my might not to wish she becomes one of tthem . 

(edited)
On 3/4/2021 at 2:48 AM, Yeah No said:

My best friend, who used to be fearless and take the subway at all hours in high crime neighborhoods in the "bad old days" of the 1980s is scared of it now.  I never thought that would happen.

BTW, she has her vaccine scheduled for today (Thursday) at the 168th Street Armory in Manhattan through Columbia Presbyterian.  I'm not sure how she is going to get there, though, since she texted me this yesterday and I didn't ask her.  She doesn't drive.

Did your friend go? How she get there?

CT is also opening up everything. Not sure about the masks requirement being lifted. 

I think it’s a bad idea to not require masks. I plan to wear a mask even if I get the vaccine. 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I plan to wear a mask even if I get the vaccine. 

There are a couple of reasons to continue to wear a mask after vaccination.  First, you can still get Covid, even after vaccination although a bad or terminal case is unlikely.  You could have it and not know it.

Which brings up the second point. You might have it and not know it - but you can go ahead and infect anyone near you.  If they are not vaccinated, you could be the cause of a fatal case.  Something none of us wants.

Yes, you still need to wear a mask.  But the good news is that you can go unmasked when with people who have been vaccinated.  So members of your book club or social circle will be fine together if they have had the vax.  Hopefully, soon that will be a lot more people!  Be patient and hang in there a little while longer.

And another fact that supports wearing masks full time - the incidence of colds and flu have absolutely plummeted this year.  So spice up your wardrobe with all means of masks and keep yourself and other safe!

I have had to repeat all of this to everyone coming to the mass vax clinics at which I work.  So you are not the first to talk about not ditching them.  Smart move.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Yes, you still need to wear a mask.  But the good news is that you can go unmasked when with people who have been vaccinated.  So members of your book club or social circle will be fine together if they have had the vax.  Hopefully, soon that will be a lot more people!  Be patient and hang in there a little while longer.

And another fact that supports wearing masks full time - the incidence of colds and flu have absolutely plummeted this year.  So spice up your wardrobe with all means of masks and keep yourself and other safe!

Yes, I'm not sure when I'll be willing to go in a store without a mask if ever.  To cut down on colds, flu, RSV, etc makes mask wearing very appealing.   Not to mention it's far, far too early for me to even think about not masking with COVID still this active even though I've had two doses of vaccine. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

Yes, I'm not sure when I'll be willing to go in a store without a mask if ever.  To cut down on colds, flu, RSV, etc makes mask wearing very appealing.   Not to mention it's far, far too early for me to even think about not masking with COVID still this active even though I've had two doses of vaccine. 

Same here.  I've had two doses, also.  I will wear masks for months (year?) to come, if I have to enter any building for anything.  It's better to be safer than sorrier.

• Love 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I have since gone in and changed all of my listings to UPS and lowered my prices to make up for the increased shipping cost.  Until things at the USPS get straightened out, this is the way it's going to have to be because I'm not going to go through this with everything I sell.  If anyone's wondering what's going on at the USPS, google it because it's one of those topics that involves stuff we can't talk about here.

Man I have been having so many problems with USPS delivery of Amazon items I have ordered! The delivery person won't drive down my 1/4 mile dirt road to deliver oversize packages to my door. She keeps marking driveway inaccessible, which is totally untrue, somI have to drive into town to pick up my package. Yesterday was the ultimate insult.  She marked the box delivered to my front door...it wasn't it was thrown on the side of the road into my neighbor's yard  along with an order of theirs...this is just wrong! I went in today and filed a complaint and the Postmaster said he would talk to them. It was/is bad enough if I have to drive into the PO to pick up my package...but throw it in a ditch in my neighbor's yard??? What is wrong with this person??

4 hours ago, Absolom said:

I'm with you, I will wear a mask forever if I don't feel safe!  I was in Taiwan 20+ years ago and everyone wore masks everywhere...it was more a pollution thing, but still I'd do it forever...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Did your friend go? How she get there?

She did go but I didn't get a chance to talk to her yet.  She called my husband today to wish him a happy 65th birthday.

8 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

CT is also opening up everything. Not sure about the masks requirement being lifted. 

Everything isn't opening up on March 19.  Some restrictions and capacity limits will be eased, but only in some venues.  Amusement parks and other outdoor venues will be able to open in April.  I doubt the mask and social distancing mandates will be going away any time soon, thankfully.  The one easing I'm not in favor of is doing away with capacity limits in stores, restaurants, houses of worship and theatres (they'll still be required to do the social distancing and masks where applicable).  Bars that don't serve food will continue to remain closed - not sure that applies to anywhere to be honest.  I think it's being a little too optimistic, but one good thing is that when the numbers go up the restrictions tend to come back.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Man I have been having so many problems with USPS delivery of Amazon items I have ordered! The delivery person won't drive down my 1/4 mile dirt road to deliver oversize packages to my door. She keeps marking driveway inaccessible, which is totally untrue, somI have to drive into town to pick up my package. Yesterday was the ultimate insult.  She marked the box delivered to my front door...it wasn't it was thrown on the side of the road into my neighbor's yard  along with an order of theirs...this is just wrong! I went in today and filed a complaint and the Postmaster said he would talk to them. It was/is bad enough if I have to drive into the PO to pick up my package...but throw it in a ditch in my neighbor's yard??? What is wrong with this person??

Don't get me started on my experiences with mail delivery and deliverers.....A few years ago they let a summer intern do my mail route when the carrier was on vacation and because she didn't know how to drive the truck she scraped by my then new mailbox and broke it completely beyond repair!  I know it had to be her because I saw her driving erratically out my window but I didn't look in time to see her hit the box.  I only noticed the box later.  My street is so off the beaten path that we only get a handful of cars every day and no one would come that close to our mailbox.  My husband complained respectfully to the postmaster at the branch and she was so nasty to him she told him to leave or she would call the police!  This woman is legendary.  About a week ago I looked at the Google reviews of my post office and it was actually funny because every review was exactly the same, "Nice desk people but the postmaster is a crazy bitch, she threatened to call the police on me when I only asked her a question" LOL.  It amazes me that this woman can keep her job with that attitude.  I imagine that people have complained about her but nothing is done.  I was in there one day when she was treating someone poorly and all the desk employees looked mortified and embarrassed by the way she was acting.  It's really dysfunctional.

It's getting to the point that if I order anything online I'm going to make sure they don't use the USPS first or ask if they can choose another carrier.  I wish I could offer everything I sell on other carriers but it would be too expensive.  You can't price something at $12.99 and charge $14.00 in shipping!  So for those I'm going to take out insurance on first class mail - eBay offers sellers a good deal on 3rd party insurance which I'm told is much better than the Post Office's.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Cetacean said:

There are a couple of reasons to continue to wear a mask after vaccination.  First, you can still get Covid, even after vaccination although a bad or terminal case is unlikely.  You could have it and not know it.

Which brings up the second point. You might have it and not know it - but you can go ahead and infect anyone near you.  If they are not vaccinated, you could be the cause of a fatal case.  Something none of us wants.

My husband's sister's brother in law and family have just tested positive for Covid.  The couple is 66 and 67 years old and they have a 32 year old adult son living at home.  All of them work in contact with the public and coworkers.  The father is a janitor in a school and the mother is a receptionist in a dentist's office.  The son is a FedEx courier.  The son has a girlfriend he sees regularly, unmasked, plus he goes out to eat in restaurants with her and other friends.  He came down with symptoms first, then the rest of them got tested. 

This is the family I posted about that got together with family and friends on Thanksgiving and have been generally vaccine avoidant, despite the fact that both parents are over 65 with co-morbidities and have been eligible for the vaccine for some time now in New York State.  Even though the son came down with symptoms first it will probably be hard to figure out who gave it to who because all of them have had unprotected contact with other people very recently - I just heard that the mother routinely ate her lunch in a break room with other employees, unmasked.  Now they'll have to go and inform all those people they may have exposed to the virus before they were symptomatic.  Thankfully my SIL and her husband are not in that group, plus they already had both their vaccines weeks ago.  I really worry about this couple because both of them have co-morbidities that put them at risk.  So far they're OK with mild symptoms but we are checking in with my SIL every day for an update.  She is friends with the woman going back forever and I know them for over 40 years.  Having heard about their lifestyle re: Covid before this my husband and I are not surprised to hear this, unfortunately.  We actually thought it would have happened sooner.

Also, my SIL told us that one of her sons, also 32 years old, (my nephew by marriage) who lives in NYC with 2 roommates recently found out that one of them tested positive for Covid.  That roommate has since gone somewhere else to live, but my nephew and the other roommate decided to self-quarantine for 10 days when they heard this.  Then that roommate came down with symptoms and both got tested.  My nephew came up negative while the roommate tested positive.  Now he thinks he somehow escaped Covid and is taking public transportation down to Johns Hopkins to visit his girlfriend.  He really needs to be tested again as he may be asymptomatic and not testing positive just yet.  I am SMH over this.  I would think he would have known better that he could have had a false negative if asymptomatic.  He could be passing it to everyone as an asymptomatic carrier and he may eventually develop symptoms.  It just amazes me how people think they're being careful when they aren't.  I had to bite my tongue because my SIL is not much better than the others, she has just been incredibly lucky.  She went to Thanksgiving at the home of the family that just got Covid.  I was afraid back then they were all going to get it and pass it along to her husband (the cancer patient who was undergoing chemo. at the time).

I hate to say it doesn't surprise me or my husband, though, sadly.  My SIL said something about how these people couldn't just sit at home and they needed to work, etc.  Does she think my husband and I are independently wealthy and can just decide without sacrifice not to have an income for a YEAR aside from unemployment insurance and pandemic relief?  Because we're not.  We all make choices.

Edited by Yeah No
19 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Yes I think it's to soon to lift the restrictions.  I feel we should continue to wear masks and do all the things we've been doing.  Not more than a day after the announcement, my employer said we would still be required to wear our masks at work.  I think some companies will continue to require them, just to limit any problems from employees saying they got it because someone else wasn't wearing a mask.

I agree with the other person who said I will probably just wear mine all the time when around other people.

• Love 5

It remains a total mystery to me that people still do not understand the viral transmission.  Way at the beginning someone said "put glitter on your hands and at the end of the day look around and see how much you've spread around".  How people can be clueless after all of this time is mind boggling.

And unfortunately the ones who are so blase about it are the ones that could cause the death of anyone with whom the have come in contact.  For that reason, even more than not wanting to get ill myself, I know I will continue to mask.

I know people are discouraged and upset that, even after vaccination, "nothing will change" and we really need to emphasize the positives.  First of all, if you do get sick it is unlikely to be a bad case.  You can meet with friends and family that have been vaccinated.  You can got into stores that you have been avoiding.  You can go back to church with a certain degree of security if you maintain distancing.  But you must wear a mask.  You could be spreading it without knowing it.  We need to emphasize the "cans" so that people feel like we are actually making progress.

It is very unlikely that I will go to a restaurant anytime soon.  But I can if I want to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

After not going to the opthalmologist in over a year, I'm calling to make an appointment next week.  That's all because I'll be two weeks post second dose and masked I'll finally feel safe in that office - maybe.  Next week I'm also going to the pharmacy on my way home from a medical appointment instead of getting up for senior hour.  It's little things, but things I haven't done in over a year.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Absolom said:

After not going to the opthalmologist in over a year, I'm calling to make an appointment next week.  

Not sure what it is about the ophthalmologist but their waiting rooms are the most full of any doctor's office I visit.  Which seems extra worrisome for me given the average age in the ophthalmologist office is higher than any of my other doctors....

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It's little things, but things I haven't done in over a year.

Yep, it will be little steps but I think most of us on the forum are old enough to realize that we have to appreciate what we are gaining rather than throwing all caution to the winds.

9 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

Not sure what it is about the ophthalmologist but their waiting rooms are the most full of any doctor's office I visit. 

Sounds like yours isn't handling things well.  Mine is scheduling appointments so that there are no more than two people at a time in either waiting room.  They keep you in the exam room after the drops rather than sending you back out to wait.  No visitors except in extreme cases, otherwise the driver has to wait in the car.

• Love 9

On a completely unrelated topic, is anyone being driven batshit crazy by the Discovery+ banner that periodically obscures half of the screen during programs on their channels? I find it so intrusive and annoying that it's just an additional reason NOT to pay for it!

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Yep, it will be little steps but I think most of us on the forum are old enough to realize that we have to appreciate what we are gaining rather than throwing all caution to the winds.

Sounds like yours isn't handling things well.  Mine is scheduling appointments so that there are no more than two people at a time in either waiting room.  They keep you in the exam room after the drops rather than sending you back out to wait.  No visitors except in extreme cases, otherwise the driver has to wait in the car.

My husband gets monthly shots for macular degeneration. Everyone is checked outside before entering the multi-function clinic by masked, gloved, and gowned staff.  Only one person at a time in the waiting room and the person next in line in the anteroom.  Prior to Covid, they had a sign posted in the waiting room to expect a wait of up to 2 hours although that rarely happened, I presumed it was to allow for extra time for newbies with anxiety.  He can't drive for an hour or so after the shot and I now have to wait in the car until he's done but it's now in and out in less than an hour.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I sat on and broke my glasses in December and can't legally drive without them so...

I think all WalMart vision centers are the same size. It was closed to free entry by stanchions with rope, backed up by a line of nose to tail shopping carts, with an employee stationed right there. Nobody got in without permission!

There were two more employees doing various things, customers waiting for exams were allowed in two at a time but kept 10-12 feet apart. (I was the second one). No one could sit near the exam room to allow wide berth for those leaving the exam room.

You couldn't shop for frames if two customers were in the area waiting for exams, they told one lady she could shop for frames when there were no appointments. And only one frame shopper allowed at a time. 

Edited by suomi
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I agree that the lifting of mask sanctions creates a mess for people in those areas. I will be wearing a mask indefinitely for the same reasons others have stated. Probably the face shield too on the streets of NYC. I'm concerned about the new variants that are circulating. With the mask and my sunglasses I am really incognito. Well, except for the fact that I'm pretty short and wear a bright pink winter jacket.

I got my first shot yesterday evening and all went well. I was in and out in half an hour. However, the experience definitely offered the greatest risk of catching covid that I have faced. There was a line with tape 6' apart marking out where to stand. People were compliant. However, the line snaked in a narrow corridor so the people going in the other direction were only about 2 ft away. Also the guy behind me was talking loudly on his phone so I turned around and his mask was below his nose. I very politely asked him to adjust it and he did, with no issues. I was on the line for about 20 mins.

After the shot I was sitting in the waiting area (a large area in the middle of the facility). They told us to wait for 15 minutes in case of adverse reaction. One of several workers who were roaming around observing stopped directly in front of me, pulled off his mask and yelled "I have an announcement!" I forget what the announcement was, certainly nothing important. I got up and left after that. I had my epi-pen with me anyway just in case. I have asthma, which is how I qualified for the vaccine, and I had my inhaler with me too. I've had no issues except for some soreness in the muscle, which is improving. They did not ask me to show proof that I qualified (letter from doc). The only question they asked was if I'd ever had an adverse reaction to any vaccine. I am 100% sure that people are signing up for vaccinations under the "co-morbidities" category, who have absolutely no co-morbidities. I don't actually have a problem with that, in NYC, since we are so crowded and crammed together -- and lots of vaccines are available there now. It's different in CA. My friend who is a cancer survivor with diabetes doesn't qualify, because his cancer is in remission and his diabetes is not severe enough -- and in CA, they are checking everything. You can't even get an appointment without documentation in your medical record (he says). 

Thankfully, parking went smoothly. I found a spot a block and 1/2 away. An Orthodox guy was putting out his overflowing garbage bins; I had to wait to back into the spot so as not to hit him. There was a heavy wind. When I got back to the car his garbage bins and fallen over onto my car so I had to put the bags and bins back onto the curb. LOL. Thankfully there wasn't any loose garbage. The drive over there was a different story. 5 pm on a Friday evening is not the best time to drive. Fortunately the young National Guardswoman who processed my shot said that the site is so new, their computers aren't set up for the second shot scheduling, so I can come in any time on the date marked on my card. It doesn't have to be the same time, just the date three weeks from yesterday.

All things considered, it went pretty well. Although I wasn't thrilled with the crowded line and the unmasked worker, I also wasn't anxious. I've done my best to avoid catching the virus and this was part of that effort. I did take some extra vitamin C today though!

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Cetacean said:

On a completely unrelated topic, is anyone being driven batshit crazy by the Discovery+ banner that periodically obscures half of the screen during programs on their channels? I find it so intrusive and annoying that it's just an additional reason NOT to pay for it!

Yup, me too, plus it's just another way to eke out more money from people that are already paying money for their channels.  I don't like the blackmail aspect of only putting new content of some established shows there.  I'll have to say goodbye to a few shows I've watched for years, but oh well.  I have a free year on Verizon but after that, sayonara.

12 hours ago, Absolom said:

After not going to the opthalmologist in over a year, I'm calling to make an appointment next week.  That's all because I'll be two weeks post second dose and masked I'll finally feel safe in that office - maybe.  Next week I'm also going to the pharmacy on my way home from a medical appointment instead of getting up for senior hour.  It's little things, but things I haven't done in over a year.

I have a laundry list of appointments to make starting a few weeks after my second dose, which isn't until March 28, and the eye doctor is on it.  That's provided the numbers in my area stay low, though.  I'm happy I double ordered contact lenses when they gave me the chance last year because I still have plenty.  I don't think my prescription has changed much if any.  One thing I can't wait to do is have a haircut.  I haven't had one since last October!

2 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I agree that the lifting of mask sanctions creates a mess for people in those areas. I will be wearing a mask indefinitely for the same reasons others have stated. Probably the face shield too on the streets of NYC. I'm concerned about the new variants that are circulating. With the mask and my sunglasses I am really incognito. Well, except for the fact that I'm pretty short and wear a bright pink winter jacket.

I got my first shot yesterday evening and all went well. I was in and out in half an hour. However, the experience definitely offered the greatest risk of catching covid that I have faced. There was a line with tape 6' apart marking out where to stand. People were compliant. However, the line snaked in a narrow corridor so the people going in the other direction were only about 2 ft away. Also the guy behind me was talking loudly on his phone so I turned around and his mask was below his nose. I very politely asked him to adjust it and he did, with no issues. I was on the line for about 20 mins.

After the shot I was sitting in the waiting area (a large area in the middle of the facility). They told us to wait for 15 minutes in case of adverse reaction. One of several workers who were roaming around observing stopped directly in front of me, pulled off his mask and yelled "I have an announcement!" I forget what the announcement was, certainly nothing important. I got up and left after that. I had my epi-pen with me anyway just in case. I have asthma, which is how I qualified for the vaccine, and I had my inhaler with me too. I've had no issues except for some soreness in the muscle, which is improving. They did not ask me to show proof that I qualified (letter from doc). The only question they asked was if I'd ever had an adverse reaction to any vaccine. I am 100% sure that people are signing up for vaccinations under the "co-morbidities" category, who have absolutely no co-morbidities. I don't actually have a problem with that, in NYC, since we are so crowded and crammed together -- and lots of vaccines are available there now. It's different in CA. My friend who is a cancer survivor with diabetes doesn't qualify, because his cancer is in remission and his diabetes is not severe enough -- and in CA, they are checking everything. You can't even get an appointment without documentation in your medical record (he says). 

Thankfully, parking went smoothly. I found a spot a block and 1/2 away. An Orthodox guy was putting out his overflowing garbage bins; I had to wait to back into the spot so as not to hit him. There was a heavy wind. When I got back to the car his garbage bins and fallen over onto my car so I had to put the bags and bins back onto the curb. LOL. Thankfully there wasn't any loose garbage. The drive over there was a different story. 5 pm on a Friday evening is not the best time to drive. Fortunately the young National Guardswoman who processed my shot said that the site is so new, their computers aren't set up for the second shot scheduling, so I can come in any time on the date marked on my card. It doesn't have to be the same time, just the date three weeks from yesterday.

All things considered, it went pretty well. Although I wasn't thrilled with the crowded line and the unmasked worker, I also wasn't anxious. I've done my best to avoid catching the virus and this was part of that effort. I did take some extra vitamin C today though!

Thanks for the update - glad it went well and you found parking!  When I moved to CT all the natives here thought I was amazing because I never shied away from bringing my car into NY and always managing to find a parking space.  Oh well, it's like riding a bike, it never leaves you, LOL.  They can't even handle parallel parking around here while I can do it in only a couple of moves even on the left side of the street!  It's a talent we have, what can I say?  And the garbage thing is so typical of NY, but you seem to have taken it in stride.

I haven't asked my friend yet how she got to the armory for her shot yet. 

Why is there always ONE unmasked person in a group?  Ugh...I know some people say they can't breathe with it on, but isn't even worse not to wear it?

I was wondering how states were going to verify underlying conditions.  Here in CT we are going on an age basis only to eliminate the need for that.  I actually like the idea.  Some populations are being targeted separately like teachers and front line workers so they won't have to wait any longer.  I just feel for the younger people with medical conditions at this point because they haven't been prioritized yet.

As for me and side effects, since I posted, I experienced some fatigue for a couple of days but it wore off.  My upper arm was a little sore but it also vanished.  A weird thing happened that I can only imagine was a side-effect, and that has something to do with my tea.  I'm a tea drinker and suddenly right after the vaccine my tea started tasting "off".  I thought perhaps it was the tea bag, but it happened again the next morning.  Then I thought it might be the sweetener.  So I tried different tea and different sweetener - same thing.  I knew it wasn't the milk, so I was confused.  Then after 2 days that miraculously disappeared and my tea started tasting normal again.  Same tea, same water, same sweetener, same milk.  So now I'm thinking it might have been a weird side effect.  Also, my stomach was a little sensitive for a couple of days, but that also vanished along with the other issues.  I'm now dreading the 2nd shot because I hear that's when you can have worse side effects, especially with Moderna.  But then when I think about it I know it's worth it in the end.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

We’ll be wearing masks forever. We better get used to it. There are more pandemics waiting their turn to emerge, so if we really think about it, it’ll never go away  

I stilL wear masks because I am a dutiful citizen who does what she’s told, but I’m growing tired of it. I’ve had covid and am vaccinated, so where does it all end? I don’t even care about “going out”, because I really don’t. It’s just going to be summer here soon and 100+ temps and those masks are terrible in the heat for outdoor markets. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

We’ll be wearing masks forever. We better get used to it. There are more pandemics waiting their turn to emerge, so if we really think about it, it’ll never go away  

I stilL wear masks because I am a dutiful citizen who does what she’s told, but I’m growing tired of it. I’ve had covid and am vaccinated, so where does it all end? I don’t even care about “going out”, because I really don’t. It’s just going to be summer here soon and 100+ temps and those masks are terrible in the heat for outdoor markets. 

I work in a non AC factory in Texas, it was over 100 in the building for days on end last summer.  I managed better than I thought I would.  To me it's just like wearing a seat belt, it's habit now and feel like I have forgotten something if I don't put it on.  

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

To me it's just like wearing a seat belt, it's habit now and feel like I have forgotten something if I don't put it on.

I find myself applying today's standards to pre-Covid movies - it's a shock to see people close together and without masks!  It certainly has become ingrained.  Since I have been vaccinated I am going to venture into a fabric store and pick up small pieces of seasonal fabric to make more masks to carry friends and relatives through the upcoming holidays, spring, summer, etc.  May as well be fashionable!

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I find myself applying today's standards to pre-Covid movies - it's a shock to see people close together and without masks!  It certainly has become ingrained.  Since I have been vaccinated I am going to venture into a fabric store and pick up small pieces of seasonal fabric to make more masks to carry friends and relatives through the upcoming holidays, spring, summer, etc.  May as well be fashionable!

I feel the same.  We have a small Joann's in our little city, it's never very crowded.  We ( my daughter )  have been in several times to buy material for masks.  As we both work I have enough masks so that I have a clean one for every day.  Plus she had to perfect the size and style that is the most comfortable.  I probably have at least 30, but some are smaller than is comfortable.

Even 1/4 yard can give you several masks.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I find myself applying today's standards to pre-Covid movies - it's a shock to see people close together and without masks!  

I routinely find myself horrified when watching people hugging & close-talking in shows & movies filmed pre-COVID.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, deirdra said:

I routinely find myself horrified when watching people hugging & close-talking in shows & movies filmed pre-COVID.

Me too, then I grab for the remote to check when it was filmed.  Some shows are head scratchers because they're dated as new this year.  One of my shows is "Hell's Kitchen" with Gordon Ramsay.  I could just tell that the new season airing right now had to be filmed pre-Covid.  Then I checked online and found out that it was filmed at the end of 2018 and there's even another season "in the can" that was filmed in 2019 that probably won't air until next year.  Wow, I never realized how far in advance some of these shows are filmed.

• Useful 1
21 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I work in a non AC factory in Texas, it was over 100 in the building for days on end last summer.  I managed better than I thought I would.  To me it's just like wearing a seat belt, it's habit now and feel like I have forgotten something if I don't put it on.  

I get that. I, too, worked in situations in the heat and “managed better” than most including wearing body armor and goggles and goggles in 120 degree deserts for hours at a time. But because we were fine doesn’t mean everyone can tolerate it or be expected to. 

Last summer, people were dropping from heat exhaustion and heat stroke from wearing masks while outside. Older people can’t be expected to be able to tolerate it and since I had covid, I can’t tolerate heat as well as I once did (though I still do better than many others). 

I’m just tired, mentally. A few weeks ago I even wanted to just be done with life but i got through that. I quit social media instead and am thinking of pulling back from more of that kind of thing. 

If I could retire today to a house in the woods away from the rest of the world, I would. 

• Love 7

Pulling back from social media is a good thing, IMO.  I have unfollowed the majority of my family, several local click-bait sites masquerading as "news," and anyone else who ticks me off.  It feels good, like I'm controlling something I can actually control.

The CDC just announced that people who have had both vax doses should be good to gather without having to wear masks.  My issue is, those family members I unfollowed will most definitely not be getting the vax.  So - if we gather, my husband and I are vaxxed.  Our family members are not.  Are we safe from them?  Are they safe from us?  Not that I have any plans to gather, mind you - I have less than zero patience for listening to any of them throw our governor under the bus, a favorite topic amongst the anti-vaxxers.  But eventually I suppose we will get together.  My brain cannot connect the dots here as to who, if any of us, would be at risk.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Pulling back from social media is a good thing, IMO.  I have unfollowed the majority of my family, several local click-bait sites masquerading as "news," and anyone else who ticks me off.  It feels good, like I'm controlling something I can actually control.

The CDC just announced that people who have had both vax doses should be good to gather without having to wear masks.  My issue is, those family members I unfollowed will most definitely not be getting the vax.  So - if we gather, my husband and I are vaxxed.  Our family members are not.  Are we safe from them?  Are they safe from us?  Not that I have any plans to gather, mind you - I have less than zero patience for listening to any of them throw our governor under the bus, a favorite topic amongst the anti-vaxxers.  But eventually I suppose we will get together.  My brain cannot connect the dots here as to who, if any of us, would be at risk.

I hear you, I am already wondering how to handle that family that has Covid if they get over it and decide not to get the vaccine.  I don't want to assume that it's OK to be around them unmasked in the future.  Plus we don't know how long the vaccine will last either.  I'm going to err on the side of caution for the foreseeable future until there's more information on this stuff.  For now I'll probably only get together with friends that I know have already been vaccinated and are at least two weeks out from their second vaccine, but I'm not so sure I want to do it indoors in a restaurant if there are potentially a lot of unvaccinated people around.  So it looks like we're probably going to wait until it gets warm enough to eat outside, but in this part of the country that probably won't happen until May.  I have a few local friends I can invite over to my house or vice versa, too.

• Love 2

I'm fortunate in all my small family is antsy to get vaccinated.  They're all careful, too, so now I can visit with them.  

My problem is the anti-vax neighbors.  I'm guessing I'll be staying out of their houses and masking around them either forever more or until COVID drops to zero in our county.   They'll fall into people at the grocery store category where I'll be wearing a mask until COVID drops to zero and probably every year from October to March.  

• Love 1

COVID Update from the Road, Winter 2021 Edition

Hidey-Ho, Y’all!

Your friendly trucker gal finally made it to March!  This is a WIN in my column, for it’s been an extra crazy winter out here, even though we’re already used to craziness in its various forms, fer sure, (hey Meri, get outta my post!) 

From trying to outrun the polar vortex where it had turned my beloved South into a sub-zero freezer, to trying not to drown in the heavy rains in other parts of the country due to same, we’ve had a tremendous amount of WEATHER issues this past run, and we’re ready for a break.  Fortunately, our next load is headed to Florida, and I’m hoping to get a room on the beach for a couple of days to warm up and dry out before heading back into gosh knows what. Generally, this time of year begins the heavy flooding of different areas of the country, such as Kansas, Nebraska, Louisiana, and Mississippi, to name a few.

Talking about weather, allow me to give you an example of one of our recent weeks.  We left Georgia for our winter run and the lows were in the 30s and the highs in 50s, I think.  We went from Georgia straight to Nebraska where we woke up to 9 below, and the day temp was a balmy 1 degree.  We stayed in that temperature range for about 4 days, then we ran from Nebraska to Pennsylvania, where we thought goody, we’ll get a break!  Alas, the weather followed us across the nation, and we got stuck in a snow system for another 5 days. 

My poor DH had to pull the rig over every so often and clean the ice off of the wipers, and we had to run the AC on cold to help keep the windshield clear for extended periods.  Bless his heart, winter is rough on truckers.  As for yours truly, I babysat the truck during the night making sure that the engine turned on regularly, pumping the diesel through the system, thereby ensuring it wouldn’t freeze at those extremely low temps.  We do have a 2020 truck, and many of the truckstops do put additive in their diesel to keep it from gelling up, but I take NO chances, folks, as waking up to a gummed-up diesel engine is a trucker’s worst nightmare.  I also stayed wrapped up in my electric throw during the day, thinking warm thoughts.  So, there were several days in a row that, due to the icy conditions, I didn’t get off the truck except to potty and shower. Thank goodness we have both a refrigerator and a freezer on the truck and we had plenty of food. Before leaving home I had made a bunch of meals and froze them, so we were set.  That was good because many restaurants were serving limited menus or were closed altogether.

The one major item that both me and DH have noticed that is different from last year when COVID first ramped up is that folks are driving badly. Very badly.  Dangerously bad.  We were run off the road twice last week, alone.  In normal times that may happen once every few years.  One time the man literally created his own lane between the car in the left passing lane and our truck in the right lane, thus turning a two-lane interstate into 3.  If DH had not seen him he would’ve been squashed like a bug, and we would have likely been in a rollover situation.  Thank goodness we were empty, making the rig a little easier to maneuver. Moreover,  I can’t count the number of times that a car has come from behind us, flew up the passing lane, only to cut us off at a fast-approaching exit ramp.  This is so dangerous, because if for any reason that car must break the occupants will most likely end up in the local morgue.  Another example of horrible driving that has grown in popularity is passing our truck ON THE SHOULDER at high speeds.

Have folks lost their minds?  Yes, they have.  Whether its due to COVID, being out of work, being stuck with their families at home, there’s not as much of a police presence, traffic patterns that are still not normal, or just that the reckless drivers are feeling their oats, I don’t know.  Please be extra careful out there on the roads, and know that some people are taking gross advantage of this unique situation, no matter what their reason.

That’s my COVID update this time ‘round, friends and frenemies!  Spring is just around the corner, or that is what the bird migrations are telling me, anyways.  Y’all hang in there til next time, and please be safe!!!

• Love 15
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I hear you, I am already wondering how to handle that family that has Covid if they get over it and decide not to get the vaccine.  I don't want to assume that it's OK to be around them unmasked in the future.  Plus we don't know how long the vaccine will last either.  I'm going to err on the side of caution for the foreseeable future until there's more information on this stuff.  For now I'll probably only get together with friends that I know have already been vaccinated and are at least two weeks out from their second vaccine, but I'm not so sure I want to do it indoors in a restaurant if there are potentially a lot of unvaccinated people around.  So it looks like we're probably going to wait until it gets warm enough to eat outside, but in this part of the country that probably won't happen until May.  I have a few local friends I can invite over to my house or vice versa, too.

Not only do I love your posts, I sincerely appreciate the work you and others do to keep our groceries and other essential (and not so essential) goods flowing to us. I know there are times you enjoy being on the road but the weeks you describe (and the increase in reckless drivers) must be harrowing!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Have folks lost their minds?  Yes, they have.  Whether its due to COVID, being out of work, being stuck with their families at home, there’s not as much of a police presence, traffic patterns that are still not normal, or just that the reckless drivers are feeling their oats, I don’t know.  Please be extra careful out there on the roads, and know that some people are taking gross advantage of this unique situation, no matter what their reason.

That’s my COVID update this time ‘round, friends and frenemies!  Spring is just around the corner, or that is what the bird migrations are telling me, anyways.  Y’all hang in there til next time, and please be safe!!!

Thanks for that heads up, I'll let my husband know.  He just got a job as a driver for his mega rich client and will be on the roads more.  He has had a few recent jobs here in CT and NY but hasn't mentioned anything about the traffic other than it being unusually light even for this time of year.  Sorry you had to put up with a dose of our kind of weather, but it's great to know you're safe and in good spirits.  Thanks for the update!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, laurakaye said:

An update to my earlier post - My SIL's husband's brother's family are all more than10 days out since their first symptoms and so thankfully are out of the woods for severe Covid.  The 32 year old son actually got the worst case among them.  The parents only got glancing blows, which leads me to believe that the son was the one that passed it along to them.  I've read that in a household the person who has the most severe case or the most viral load, is often the one that passed it to the others.  He was the one that got closest to other people (friends and girlfriend) unmasked before this so my vote is for him.  They were all very lucky as his father is the poster child for Covid death.  I am breathing a big sigh of relief.  My SIL says that only NOW they're all in a rush to get vaccinated.  She says she had been on them for over a month to get scheduled but they kept dismissing her.  We are shaking our heads about them, but thank GOD they're OK.  At least now I don't have to worry about avoiding them in the future when we eventually get together on holidays (whenever that will be).  Since the CDC made their announcement today my husband and I are now talking about maybe being able to visit with his sister and her husband for the first time in over a year sometime in April after two weeks from our second doses of the vaccine.  The last time we saw them in person was in late February of 2020 when we met them half way at a restaurant.  This time we're considering just driving the 2 hours to see them at home.  I won't lie, I'm still afraid to do that!  At least it's not going to happen for a while yet so we have time to think it over first.  My husband says he'll be OK with waiting until the warm weather so we can meet with them outdoors if we decide against seeing them indoors.

• Love 2
(edited)

While I cast a side-eye at the CDC sometimes, at least they are trying to get guidelines out there for those who are floundering on what they can do post-vaccination.  And that's a good thing to say - enough people are post-vaccination that guidelines are needed!  Here is a link to the WaPo article.  People need to hear the positive.

I know I no longer cringe at the thought of going into a store. I still go early, I still mask (and will for maybe forever since it definitely helped with the cold and flu numbers) and stay distant but I am actually doing my own grocery shopping.  I guess being exposed to hundreds of folks at our mass vax clinics has helped allay my fears as well.  My district health department (covering four rurua counties and supported by at least 50%  volunteers) has done 8025 vaccinations and I've worked every clinic but two since January.  It's great to see how excited people are when they come in.

Will I eat unmasked in a restaurant with even a 50% capacity.  Nope and nope.  Still carry out for me.  Will I go to our open air farm market this year?  Probably, at least in the early morning when there are no crowds.  WIll I get on a plane?  Again, no.  Will I go back to my hospital volunteer job?  Probably when it opens back up.  Beyond that, I will have to wait and see.

Good to hear from you @Rabbit Hutch.  You have such a different life on the road, I always learn something new about a whole new world.  And I agree about the drivers - in my area it's the pick up trucks that act like they are Humvees in enemy territory.  We have all two lane roads where I live and they like to tailgate, threaten you, and pass on the shoulder whilst proudly flying their Confederate flags even if you are doing over the speed limit.  Scary.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 6
On 1/13/2017 at 12:12 AM, Jellybeans said:

I used to watch Cake Boss too. Don't know why I stopped.  

Why did you guys stop?

I used to watch Cake Boss too. Stopped because Buddy got so over the top. I got the impression he became very arrogant with success, but maybe I'm wrong.  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I know I no longer cringe at the thought of going into a store. I still go early, I still mask (and will for maybe forever since it definitely helped with the cold and flu numbers) and stay distant but I am actually doing my own grocery shopping.  I guess being exposed to hundreds of folks at our mass vax clinics has helped allay my fears as well.  My district health department (covering four rurua counties and supported by at least 50%  volunteers) has done 8025 vaccinations and I've worked every clinic but two since January.  It's great to see how excited people are when they come in.

Will I eat unmasked in a restaurant with even a 50% capacity.  Nope and nope.  Still carry out for me.  Will I go to our open air farm market this year?  Probably, at least in the early morning when there are no crowds.  WIll I get on a plane?  Again, no.  Will I go back to my hospital volunteer job?  Probably when it opens back up.  Beyond that, I will have to wait and see.

Would you feel comfortable meeting with friends who've also been vaccinated unmasked at their houses?  I'm still mulling over that one.

Not ready to get on any plane or go to any large events even outdoors.

Or go to a restaurant unless I'm sitting outdoors socially distanced with only one or two friends that have been vaccinated at the table.

Although I just went to a Super Walmart yesterday that I haven't been to since our numbers were very low last August.  Our positivity rate is under 2% plus it was early on a Monday in March so it was very sparse.

And speaking of Walmart, why is it that there are some things you can only get at Super Walmart?  Some you can't get online anywhere or if you find them they're $25.00 for a $2.50 item.  It seems to have gotten worse since the pandemic.  People are trying to cash in and upping the prices astronomically.  Nothing like risking my life for food!  😉 

Also, since when is 65 not a milestone birthday anymore?  I looked in every drug store, supermarket and even the Hallmark Store and saw cards for every age from 2 to 15, 16, 18, 20, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60.....even 95 but no 65!

1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

He's a loud-mouthed, uncouth braggart.

I know this is going to be a very politically incorrect comment, but I'm half Sicilian and let's just say that my mother and her family would be mortified by Buddy as a representative of their background and call him a few insulting names I won't repeat here.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Would you feel comfortable meeting with friends who've also been vaccinated unmasked at their houses?  I'm still mulling over that one.

Yes, I would.  I have plans with friends I have not seen in months, I will be going to their house for lunch when I am in their area and they are going to visit me for an overnight stay soon.  Of course, we are all very careful, wear masks everywhere and avoid gatherings os there is that.  But will definitely be seeing vaccinated people.

18 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Also, since when is 65 not a milestone birthday anymore?  I looked in every drug store, supermarket and even the Hallmark Store and saw cards for every age from 2 to 15, 16, 18, 20, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60.....even 95 but no 65!

I guess they are hoping we are all dead so we won't collect on our social security.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Got a  quick question I just got a new next door neighbor and they were from Utah and they are also Mormon and they put a k Sound at the end of the word. I am afraid to ask them why they do that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

Got a  quick question I just got a new next door neighbor and they were from Utah and they are also Mormon and they put a k Sound at the end of the word. I am afraid to ask them why they do that.

This is from a post I wrote way back in 2018...

Regional dialect, sometimes referred to as the Rocky Mountain dialect which in and of itself is a subset of a Western dialect.  It is commonly spoken through out the entire region so disparaging their pronunciations and casting them as lazy, uneducated, idiotic, etc is actually assigning those attributes to a large population of the US.  It's no more right or wrong than any of the other regional linguistic idiosyncrasies one finds throughout the entire english speaking world - we certainly wouldn't call for southerners, Bostonians, Texans, midwesterns, or even Canadians or Brits (both of which also boast a variety of regional dialects) to "learn the language!"  (Well perhaps we would in jest with our friends but certainly not with hostility and judgement to the average person on the street.)

This link highlights almost every linguistic "fault" called out on this board... 20 words you need to know how to pronounce in Utah

Disclosure:  I happen to find the many regional characteristics, languages, cultures, etc fascinating and though different from my own, I believe they are just as valid and worthy of respect as what I grew up with.  As a country, we are banging the tolerance drum so why would linguistic and other regional differences be immune to this enlightenment?

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

@suomi wrote (on the Polygamists in a Pandemic thread and I wanted to respond here):

"Seriously? This is so odd because Catholics and Mormons are mortal enemies and that iconography clearly is Catholic. The Jesus is Anglo enough but Mormon Jesus never, ever displays internal organs.

But it reminds me of a term used by one of Theresa's professors in the novel Looking For Mr Goodbar, to parody the years she spent in Catholic schools: "the Sacred Gizzard of Xavier."

---

Omigosh, this reference brings back memories! I love Judith Rossner. Have you read "August"? Or my favorite of hers, one of the strangest novels I've ever read, "Attachments"? The latter is about two women friends who marry conjoined twins. "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" just about broke my heart - especially the movie, which I remember more than the novel, for its stunning performance by Diane Keaton.

• Useful 1

I think Goodbar is one of the few movies that is as good as its source/the book, and I agree regarding Diane Keaton. I hadn't thought about looking for other books by Rossner but now I am intrigued so I ordered kindle samples of the titles you mentioned. Thank you!

52 minutes ago, suomi said:

I think Goodbar is one of the few movies that is as good as its source/the book, and I agree regarding Diane Keaton. I hadn't thought about looking for other books by Rossner but now I am intrigued so I ordered kindle samples of the titles you mentioned. Thank you!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of them! "August" is a more mature work, very well-structured. "Attachments" is very strange, although I read it when I was very young. It might not seem so strange to me now. In any case it is definitely an original. I should re-read it!

• Love 1
On 3/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, sharkerbaby said:

As a country, we are banging the tolerance drum so why would linguistic and other regional differences be immune to this enlightenment?

Your post reflects an admirable outlook and I will venture a guess that the people who post here live up to it in real life. I would be surprised to learn that they grind on neighbors, in-laws, co-workers, etc for how they speak.

The guidelines of polite society are routinely ignored in snark-fest forums like this one because they are places where the raison d'etre is to judge public figures, where being enlightened does not preclude recognizing and commenting on differences that amuse or dismay. It's a diversion that doesn't reflect truth; this forum isn't a place where harm is done.

• Love 8

So question.  Will you all wear masks when it’s no longer required?
I will when traveling.   Every trip I get a horrible cold or flu, every time.  
I used to get three colds a year.  Bad ones.  This year?  None.  Masks really help.  

• Love 8