Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: And What Lies Beneath The Stones

Stone, Cassandra and Ezekiel have a proper team-up for the first time in months when they investigate a cave-in at an oilrig site, which has unleashed Hokolonote, a shape-shifting god who grows in strength any time a lie is told. Now the Librarians have to come clean to each other, airing their issues and solving the riddle of the ancient prison that held Hokolonote.

Since I don't know what every woman has, that joke wasn't funny. A punch line without a setup is creative, I guess, but boo hiss for creativity if that's what it gets us. 

But one wrong note doesn't ruin the song for me. Entertaining episode. 

Christian Kane did some truly fine work tonight, especially paired with Jeff Fahey. After unloading a lifetime's worth of father/son baggage frustrations on Papa Stone, I loved the subtlety as Jake realized that the man he was opening up to wasn't actually his father, yet still went along with it as fakeDaddy said "I love you" and went in for a hug. It was heartbreaking to watch Jake's reaction as he came to terms with the fact that this was likely the only time he'd ever hear those words from "Dad." Well played by both men.

• Love 7

I know this episode was supposed to be all about Jake's backstory, but I was more intrigued by Cassandra's "truths".  She has a suicide date, hates babies, and apparently "women who say they don't do it are lying".

I also found it a bit unabelievable that Jake's grizzled old sexist drunk dad would believe that Ezekiel was in any place of authority.  I guess perhaps he was buying into asian stereotypes so he didn't question it, but Ezekiel also looks like he just came out of the womb.  I thought for sure the father would comment on that and not be so accommodating.

I did not realize that was Jeff Fahey.

Don't really care about Cassandra's secrets, although I guess this was a way of retconning the twee out of her, and I support that (although it's kind of really possible to dislike kids, not want a family and still be twee, guys). It was a clever way to get a whole bunch of exposition on the table for Jake, who I thought was neglected kind of badly last season, so I'm for it.

They really do need to get Cassandra into more adult clothing.  I guess it's possible that the Lindy Booth doesn't look great in trousers, but the thigh-high socks with leggings & boots was getting on my nerves, especially 'cause one of the legs wasn't straightened at the top.

YES! I get that it's totally superficial, but I don't think the clothes she wears would be conducive to comfort and wandering around mines.

Also: no hardhats! That bothered me too.

• Love 1

I know it is a UO especially around here but I really like Cassandra but then I always did line just a little bit o crazy in my characters.

I like Cassandra fine enough; I just wish they'd dress her in clothing that's less high-school and more "I"m an adult and have a job where trousers are more appropriate for what I do than shorts/skirts".

• Love 5

I really liked the episode and I'm wondering if they did Jake's daddy issues here because they never got a chance to do Elliot's daddy issues on Leverage (I vaguely remember them saying they'd get to it in the next season that didn't happen). And Cassandra's hating babies line got the biggest laugh out of me--I'm in love with whichever writer threw that one in. I'm liking her and Jones both a lot more this season.

• Love 1

Jones does seem to be having fewer punchable moments but it's still early.

That thing had the creepiest smile I've seen in a long while. As the episode went on, every time it shapeshifted I started getting ready to close my eyes before it could start its silent gloating. Eeesh.

• Love 1

They really do need to get Cassandra into more adult clothing.  I guess it's possible that the Lindy Booth doesn't look great in trousers, but the thigh-high socks with leggings & boots was getting on my nerves, especially 'cause one of the legs wasn't straightened at the top.

YES! I get that it's totally superficial, but I don't think the clothes she wears would be conducive to comfort and wandering around mines.

I complained about her clothes all last season because they either dressed her in very short skirts or booty shorts. This season she's at least more covered, but it's like the circus has come to town. Too many patterns & colors all mixed together. 

• Love 2

This ep seemed very Leverage-familiar to me... even the set reminded me of a Leverage episode The Underground Job... ok, without the magic mischief spirit. So as much as I like Christian Kane, it was a little boring to me. Then again, I am one who likes episodes with Flynn, even when he's being a huge ham.

Mmm, ham.

I liked hearing about all of the different shapeshifts. I'd like to know which one removed all the "Rs".

At the end with Jenkins and Stone talking. I liked that they remembered Jenkins could relate since

he and his own dad have issues. I love Jenkins and Baird talking about the large animal room.

• Love 1

I never had a problem with Cassandra (other than her sudden but inevitable betrayal at the beginning of the series). I still think her overly enthusiastic and childish behavior is a coping mechanism when faced with terminal illness. We have been shown she can be dead serious (pun semi-intended) but choses not to, perhaps that brings her to close to the thought of oblivion.

Her attire does not bother me as well, maybe I have been around artistic types for too long. Also, I think they've toned her down in season 2.

Ezekiel is a different matter - he does bother and irritate me, but I cannot pinpoint why. He's like an itch I cannot scratch.

- - -

Having said that, I enjoyed the episode - the season 1 Stone episode was not my favourite, but this one played out much better. I liked how Baird was not featured too much this episode, which helped flesh out the rest of the team. I liked the funny bits and the drama - predictable and tropey, but still hit the right notes.

The effects were as always - sub-par, but it's like watching the old Xena series. Make-believe-pretend it's ok.

• Love 1

Always glad to have a Jake-focused episode, and the bonus of Jeff Fahey has his drunk, jackass dad, certainly made it better.

I also liked having Baird stay with Jenkins for this one, and let the three Librarians do the case themselves, and have to still work out their trust issues, and get back on the same page again.

Sounds like the Library is still messing up and Jenkins can't figure it out.  Hope they fix it soon, because it would be pretty bad if they lost Nessy!

The shift-shaper stuff didn't bring anything new to the table, but it was fun seeing the actor get to play more sinister versions of themselves.  I especially loved when it shifted into Jones, boasting Jake would "hit" his friends, and Jake just decks "Jones" without hesitation. 

For me the thing about Ezekiel Jones is that bad ass thief sounds cool on paper, and maybe looks cool in storyboards, but isn't really. 

Perhaps the best way to judge the characters is to ask if you could believe and would like to watch an episode (or series) of the character as THE Librarian, solo, full-time. I think, Jake yes, Cassandra well yes but the tumor thing sort of defeats the premise and Ezekiel Jones...no, I don't. 

Edited by sjohnson
Christian Kane did some truly fine work tonight, especially paired with Jeff Fahey.

Great casting. When Stone was telling "dad" about how he's a genius, I was like, "your dad doesn't deserve it, you got nothing to prove." So I was glad that for the real dad, he did basically say that.

Perhaps the best way to judge the characters is to ask if you could believe and would like to watch an episode (or series) of the character as THE Librarian, solo, full-time.

They kind of did that in the finale last year. The point was that as a team they're more effective, so I'd rather see that.

I like when smart characters stay smart and don't get dumb because plot. Jones and Cassandra immediately figured out that something was wrong about the doubles and went right back to Jenkins to figure out there was a shapeshifter. 

• Love 1

I like Jake and wanted more exploration of him, but this episode didn't move me as much as I wanted it to.  I did like the concept of him gaining confidence in himself to use his real name on papers.

There were some fun moments, though, like having to say truths to keep the door open.

• Love 1