Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Lens

Some random thoughts on tonight's episode:

I loved Eika telling off the goat killer and the town.

Nora's speech to Erika was great until Erika derailed it by turning the questionnaire question back on Nora.

I never noticed how very attractive Nora is until tonight.

I'm disappointed in Kevin for letting Patti get the best of him.

At least we know who John shot.

• Love 2

I thought Regina King and Carrie C**** killed it tonight in that scene they shared doing the questionnaire. The way Regina King's lip just so slightly quivered with anger and sadness was spot-on. I want to give all the Emmys to these two ladies!

I also loved that when pressed for why Nora might be a lens, the researcher on the phone started in about demons and Nora HUNG UP. For a second I was worried the show and Nora were about to go THERE (and I would have turned it off) but then I remembered this is Nora, she doesn't have time for that BS.

I'm glad we know who John tried to kill. I get the feeling he (the older man-Erika's dad? John's dad?) did something that many of us would think was an "understandable" (not excusable) reason for shooting him....he must have done something awful to Erika or another family member (but I tend to think Erika).

I wonder what's up with Lori and Tom? And how long will it be until we find out?

I'm glad Kevin finally told Nora about Patti. I need more Kevin....Justin Theroux's facial expressions are great.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 5

I love the Murphy story line.

The Erika and Nora scene was great.

I don't get the rock through the window. 

I know I saw Nora, and that was Nora who threw a rock through the Murphy's window, but I didn't get why. 

I thought it had to do with the phone call and being  a "lens."

I assume Erika throwing the rock through the Garvey's window and owning it by standing there and making eye contact with Nora, was her way of saying

"I see you." and you're not fooling me? 

Someone please let me know your take because the rock through the window and especially at the beginning of the episode, I don't get.

John and Erika aren't the real deal and I knew that when Patti was teasing Kevin about it the previous episode. Patti just seems to echo what Kevin is already thinking whether it's the correct assumption or not. 

So now that Kevin is coming clean and trying to let Nora in on his dark side, she runs?

So Nora doesn't intend to tell Kevin about his son?

I now wonder whether John played any part in Erika's hearing loss.

Funniest moment and there was one for me, Nora getting up and leaving Kevin at the fundraiser with the baby whom by the way, he forgot on top of the car earlier in the day and an unresponsive, wheelchair-bound Mary LOL.

His WTF faces are priceless and the one he had in this scene was no different. It was just hilarious to me, I busted out laughing.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2

The closing song was Simon and Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock." Perfect!

This episode answered a number of questions and was of course a tour de force pas de deux of acting with C*** and King. Poor dead birds--no wish of Evie's return to be granted. We continue with the theme of everyone looking for answers, not letting the mystery be, a creating misery if not outright harm. I think Nora threw the first stone because she thought Erika sicced the researcher on her.  But people in glass houses . . .

Good for Matt. His stubborn faith finally worked out for him. Not that I expect it to last.

Edited by Cardie
  • Love 5

I thought Nora threw the rock through the Murphys' window because she was pissed that "they" had ruined the safety of the town with "no departures" for her and made her question if she was responsible for disappearances/departures simply by having a daughter who disappeared. (I hope that makes sense. Obviously they didn't plan to hurt Nora by disappearing their daughter or anything...it's displaced anger.) I just kind of saw it as a physical manifestation of Nora wanting to scream "I wish I'd never met you people and never went over to your house for dinner that night!" Probably what John did to Matt played some small role in how good it (presumably) felt to throw a rock through their window.

• Love 9

So now that Kevin is coming clean and trying to let Nora in on his dark side, she runs?

So Nora doesn't intend to tell Kevin about his son?

I now wonder whether John played any part in Erika's hearing loss .

I didn't see any indication that Nora was running from Kevin and his admission. When she first got home, I thought she assumed Kevin wanted to talk to her about stealing the new questionnaire from the DSD guy. When she realized it was something else and put together what Kevin was telling her about "seeing someone," she looked concerned.

I just thought Nora probably had so much going on that she forgot to tell Kevin about Tom....I hope, anyway. Honestly I'd forgotten that Nora didn't tell him.

I wonder if Virgil didn't cause Erika's hearing loss. Maybe she heard voices as a kid or something so he or she tried to silence them by doing something to her hearing. Maybe Virgil was told by a voice to harm Erika's hearing. I think whatever caused her hearing loss may have been caused by Virgil and that's why John tried to kill him. (It's definitely also possible that John caused her hearing loss somehow.)

• Love 2

Finally, a satisfying episode, both in content (got some answers, plot moved forward) and style (not just one long boring episode about a secondary character).

Nora and Erika really are the 2 most compelling characters for me, this season.  I've suspected all long, as we watch the Murphys that Erika might be the one with the more interesting and complex story.

I was disappointed when the tone of the scene between the two of them suddenly turned unfriendly.  I was looking forward to a great girl-power friendship between these 2 kick-ass chicks, keeping it together, despite the whacked out behavior of their respective men.  But alas, I think Nora's little outburst was because she realized Erika's answers were pointing toward a bona-fide departure and that scared her into her rant belittling Erika's feelings/experiences.

I let out an audible "ugh" when Laurie called.  It was like a phone call from some annoying other show I don't like, in the middle of one I do.

• Love 7

I was kind of relieved Kevin decided to tell Nora about Patti (because I think having Nora on your side is a good thing).  So it was frustrating when he said Patti said it was mistake, when we've seen her repeatedly try to get him to tell Nora about her. Guess she's not a very consistent/reliable hallucination.

• Love 4

As soon as I heard the first 4 chords I knew it was "I Am a Rock."

As I said in the first episode and on other shows: Everything is better with Regina King. And Carrie C*** holds her own with RK.

And Justin Theroux acted the poop out of his brief confessional scene.

Is The Leftovers truly good television? Or does it just resemble it? http://previously.tv/the-leftovers/its-time-to-ask-the-hard-questions-on-the-leftovers/

A lesser show would've picked up where the previous one left off with Matt gratuitously suffering in the stocks, but this show did not.

The goat was explained, but not mentioned was the incident with the goat causing the fatal accident with the man who broke Matt's hand to steal his ID wrist band.

Excellent camera work of people viewed through the rock throwing holes in the windows.

Generally deafness like Erika's would be caused by an illness or possibly exposure to a concussive blast, right?

• Love 3

The recap from EW suggested Nora threw the rock through the Murphys' window in retaliation because John refused to let Matt back into town. She blames him for Matt staying in the encampment and being in the stocks.

That idea works for me!

Edited by Makenna
  • Love 5

The recap from EW suggested Nora threw the rock through the Murphys' window in retaliation because John refused to let Matt back into town. She blames him for Matt staying in the encampment and being in the stocks.

That idea works for me!

That makes sense. There was this whole undercurrent in the show last night that suggested the two families were really upset with each other but I wasn't getting it. I have to say I really only enjoyed two things last night, Kevin coming clean, and Mrs. Garvy calling Nora looking for Tom. The super scenes on Nora and Regina Kings characters were a little too on the nose. We are on episode 6 and I was hoping we could start moving the plot forward more. I want to know what happened to the girls.

What's this? Some questions actually answered? Goat, buried bird, wedding dress, even the origin of the mysterious pies. I like it! 

Honestly, though, I think I'm going to need a support group to get through this season. I watch by myself and utter some form of "WTF?" every 10 minutes or so. Everybody was killing it this episode -- especially Regina and Carrie in the questionnaire scene and Justin at the end. Wow! Nora continues to kick ass and take names. Loved the smack down of her own brother, as well as her hysterical, but relieved response to the wacky researcher lady -- where the hell did those two get their doctoral degrees?

But Nora is also still so vulnerable, just not in ways most people can see. Man, the look on Erika's face when she turned the tables on Nora and asked her that question in particular -- yikes. Triumphant, defiant and horribly sad all at the same time. Then, Nora walks in the door to her house, her refuge, and Kevin drops that bomb. Kevin's flinch when he only partially answers Nora's question about what Patti is saying was what sold that whole scene for me. I think this show is actually getting better each week. 

• Love 8

What an incredible episode. Regina King and Carrie C*** killed it this week. We got answers to some things, and Kevin finally admitted to Nora that he's "seeing" Patti. That scene was heartbreaking, especially the look on Kevin's face when he said that Patti told him he just made a huge mistake, and that he never should have told Nora about her.

I think the lens thing is just such bullshit. Demon Azrael (lol) aside, why would it cause the disappearance of Evie and two girls Nora really didn't even meet? Why wouldn't it cause the disappearance of Kevin, Jill and Lily, the folks she actually lives with? Personally, I'm thinking that those girls didn't depart, and rather it was made to look like a departure.

I was also thinking that Erika was kind of dumb to keep that money in the closet like that. With her husband burning down people's houses like that, he's opening himself up to retaliation. Having a huge wad of cash in a box won't do you any good if someone seeks revenge for being beaten and having their house burned down and decides to burn YOUR house down. Just put it in a safety deposit box!

• Love 2

Nora brought up her missing children twice in the episode, and both times she neglected to mention that her husband had departed as well. Is she intentionally keeping that from Erica?

• Love 3

Regarding the lens theory.  Didn't Kevin's hook up disappear when making love with him?  Also, Jil's friend disappear when in circle with her?  So there were at least 3 lenses moving in to that house the night of the 3 girls disappearance.  The more lenses there were, the more intense the power was.

This was not counting the mysterious baby of the cult leader with asian fetish.

Did anyone notice Laurie started smoking again? She was 1 crappy psychiatrist. I wonder what happened with her and Tom?

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 4

I wonder if we're to take the DSD algorithm any more seriously than the other theories so-called researchers have offered up. Nora must, since she was part of that system. I gather they have data to the effect that certain characteristics are shared by all departed and, conversely, some that no departed exhibit.

• Love 5

I wonder if we're to take the DSD algorithm any more seriously than the other theories so-called researchers have offered up. Nora must, since she was part of that system. I gather they have data to the effect that certain characteristics are shared by all departed and, conversely, some that no departed exhibit.

I don't think we're meant to, but I can understand why Nora is almost desperate to imbue the DSD questionnaire with the actual ability to ascertain whether or not someone was a legitimate departure. Nora has to believe that there won't be any more departures, on multiple levels. That questionnaire, particularly with the emphasis on what the last thing the departed person said, was just designed to figure out if someone was in on faking a departure.

I felt for Nora in that moment, she's so incredibly terrified that she can lose the people she loves again, to some mysterious void in the world that sucks up the people she cares about. She can't bear to believe this could be an ongoing thing, because that's far too terrifying. She'd be paralyzed into not being able to do anything. Hell, at the end when Kevin tells her he's seeing Head!Patti and how Patti is telling him he made a mistake in telling Nora: Yeah, sadly, he likely did. Nora can't really handle any more "Weird stuff, with no explanation -- which also equals no way to ward off a reoccurrence -- is still ongoing" without snapping like a wet carrot.

She spent all her money and a lot of her energy trying to get some place she was convinced would offer some sort of shield against "it could happen again".

I think all that Nora was trying to do was prove to herself that Erika was in on her daughter disappearing. That they are doing this for financial gain and perhaps to turn back the horde at the gates of Miracle. Nothing would diffuse that problem of people clambering to get in like having it be just another ordinary spot. She wanted Erika to have an agenda, be fallible, mess up by having responses that were too neatly prepared (like remembering the last words someone said to you....it's very rare that people can accurately do that, because ...hell, I don't remember the last words my husband said to me when he left the room five minutes ago...we don't put that much emphasis or energy into most of our communications).

So I think we're meant to take the Department's fresh question set as still more shots in the dark. Trying to find a pattern in the chaos. Nora thought she'd be able to prove that Erika was doing this as some sort of scam.

Poor Kevin, desperate to come clean and he picked the worst possible moment to confirm "weird, invisible and seemingly capricious forces are still at work (and seemingly out to get you personally, Nora)" .

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 9

That idea works for me!

OK, that make sense, but then why would Erika throw the rock through her window? I didn't understand that, and then she made sure that she stood there unlike Nora to claim the offense and make eye contact with Nora.

I mean I know they had an intense exchanged but I didn't think that it was a rock throwing one because both women have gone through the same thing, a sudden, inexplicable loss of a child, in Nora's case, children. 

• Love 1

I think Erika threw the rock through Nora's window in retaliation because somehow she knew Nora threw the rock through her window. Just my guess.

I liked this episode. I'm glad Kevin told Nora about Patti. It reminded me of the "I see dead people" scene from the Sixth Sense.

• Love 5

I was annoyed at Kevin when he blurted out "I'm seeing someone" as an explanation for Patti. I was half expecting a sitcom style misunderstanding on Nora's part.

It created a weird tension in the scene that had to be intentional.

I'm not too sure what the writers were going for, but the scene worked.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 6

I'm in the camp with those who appreciate getting some answers from this show once in a while. I like that we now know what the deal was with Erika and the birds; I like that we're getting closer to finding out about the history between Virgil and the rest of the Murphys. I hope we also find out what happened with Evie, et. al. I don't hope for an explanation of the departures themselves--that's not what this show is about, or what I signed on for. But having most of the weird, incidental events go unexplained would just be too frustrating for me, so I'm happy for closure on some of that stuff.

As far the girls' disappearance, does anyone else think they carefully planned their own "departure"? Something about that one scene showing them blank-faced in the car after seeming so happy and bubbly at the spring convinced me that their inner lives were very different than what the rest of the world was seeing. (Also, the naked running through the woods didn't strike me as the carefree frolicking of children of nature.) Erika may have wanted to leave, but Evie beat her to it.

As strong as Nora is, I think she's hanging on by a fraying thread at the moment. Her disconnection from Kevin leaving the baby outside was one among several red flags. I mean, it bothered him more than it did her--and he's averaging about three sandwiches short of a picnic on a good day. The whole questionnaire thing--from Nora's interactions with the investigator to the exchange with Erica-- illustrated just how much she ISN'T over her first family's departure. I just had the feeling throughout the episode that she was about to crack. Even with that, she was still so patient and gentle in her care of Mary--that kind of thing is one of the many reasons I love Nora.

The whole "glass houses" theme running throughout was a bit on the nose, but I did enjoy Erika's calling the town on the carpet at the fundraiser. I was also thankful she spared us seeing the murder of another goat, although Erika? Enough already with the burying birds alive. They ain't coming back.

As for Matt, I think I have more patience with/for that character than most. I know dumping Mary wasn't great, but I was happy to see him sort of thriving out there on the fringes with his new flock. That whole sitch will doubtless be going to hell in a hand basket soon, but I liked that scene.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 12

As far the girls' disappearance, does anyone else think they carefully planned their own "departure"?

What currently makes the most sense to me is that someone from the camp somehow snuck into town-territory and kidnapped the girls just to fuck with the town. We can see how much hatred there is in the camp for those lucky enough to live in Miracle. I can see that resentment turning into revenge. "They think they're magically immune from Sudden Departures, do they? Well, let's see how smug and superior they feel now."

Of course that doesn't explain how they drained the river.

• Love 1

...I felt for Nora in that moment, she's so incredibly terrified that she can lose the people she loves again, to some mysterious void in the world that sucks up the people she cares about. She can't bear to believe this could be an ongoing thing, because that's far too terrifying. She'd be paralyzed into not being able to do anything.

This feels like a metaphor for those who change neighborhoods in Chicago or flee Syria only to face new dangers.

...but I did enjoy Erika's calling the town on the carpet at the fundraiser.

I thought Regina King was most awesome in this scene rather than the one with Carrie C***, but that might have been the camera work bouncing around from one to the other.

• Love 1

What currently makes the most sense to me is that someone from the camp somehow snuck into town-territory and kidnapped the girls just to fuck with the town. We can see how much hatred there is in the camp for those lucky enough to live in Miracle. I can see that resentment turning into revenge. "They think they're magically immune from Sudden Departures, do they? Well, let's see how smug and superior they feel now."

Of course that doesn't explain how they drained the river.

Hmm, yes, I could definitely see this happening. There are certainly plenty of cranky/nutso literal fringe dwellers surrounding Jarden. I conveniently hand waved the drained river in my "they departed themselves" conspiracy theory, but yeah, it stretches credibility--even for this show--for it to be mere coincidence.

Edited to half-assedly correct half-assed grammar.

Edited by spaceghostess

I mean I know they had an intense exchanged but I didn't think that it was a rock throwing one because both women have gone through the same thing, a sudden, inexplicable loss of a child, in Nora's case, children.

Yes, they have, but Nora went out of her way to reject that as Erika's reality, to spare herself (Nora) more pain. So there's Erika, in the kind of emotional anguish and pain that Nora ought to understand and be kind to, but her main agenda is proving that it couldn't have been a departure.

That's why she went to Erika's house. We saw Nora pass out dead on the floor when she thought there had been another departure. She's terrified of that possibility. She took that terror, armed with a questionnaire, came to Erika's house in the guise of a friend who cared -- after Erika had helped care for her baby -- and she used it to stealthily insinuate and belittle Erika's experience. Why? Because Nora needs it to be something other than a departure, to reestablish her own feelings of safety in the world.

Erika twigged to that when she asked Nora what the last things her children had said to her were. She knew that's what Nora was doing, because Nora gave that game away by attacking Erika in her own, personal hell, to up Nora's own feelings of safety.

Dude, she's lucky that Erika didn't punch her in the face, but she did let her know "I know what you did and you do not ever, and I do mean EVER, want to attempt fucking with me again" hence the eye contact. Nora's complete lack of surprise seemed to say "Yup, I about had that one coming."

She could have had a friend in Erika, but Nora chose to try and psychologically maim her and whereas I think Nora is a complete and total badass, I think Erika likely has her bested in that category. Erika shared with Nora the most painful possible thought process "I think I did this to my daughter. I'm afraid I brought this upon my beloved daughter" and Nora sneered contemptuously at it, even though it is a feeling she knows all too well. Nora didn't do it because that was even close to the appropriate response, Nora did it because she was frightened by the "what if it happens again?" in her own life.

Yeah, she's lucky that all Erika did was heave a rock through her window. I think Nora is wonderful and I can't claim to like Erika all that much yet, but Erika thinks -- and not without reason -- that she wished her daughter into the damned cornfield of departureville. All those dead birds (which....ow) point to how much she's trying to take it back and isn't being allowed to. Nora, because of her own fears, attacked that place of indescribable pain within Erika, to try and make herself feel safer.

It was not a good moment for Nora, even if it was deeply human and understandable.

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 21
I was annoyed at Kevin when he blurted out "I'm seeing someone" as an explanation for Patti. I was half expecting a sitcom style misunderstanding on Nora's part.

I hated the way that was written.  There was no reason for Kevin to set it up like he was confessing an affair.  I was very worried that Nora would misunderstand and run off to see what Janet and Chrissy were up to. 

I did love the scene between Nora and Erika.  If looks could kill, I think Erika's would have caused Nora to spontaneously combust.  

I also appreciate knowing that Erika knows she is married to a bad guy, and loved her calling the town out on how crazy things have gotten.     

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

This was a great episode, and the acting between Regina King and Carrie C*** ( I think that is the woman who plays Nora's name) was amazing. I understand that Nora had a busy, stressful night but her not telling Kevin that Tom could be in trouble is one of the problems I have with S2. Last season one of the main plots was Kevin as a Dad, caring that Tom was missing, trying his best with Jill and now Jill and Kevin don't even interact. Kevin hasn't even mentioned his son this season.

Edited by redbudrose
  • Love 2

spaceghostess

As far the girls' disappearance, does anyone else think they carefully planned their own "departure"? Something about that one scene showing them blank-faced in the car after seeming so happy and bubbly at the spring convinced me that their inner lives were very different than what the rest of the world was seeing. (Also, the naked running through the woods didn't strike me as the carefree frolicking of children of nature.) Erika may have wanted to leave, but Evie beat her to it.

Yes, I was thinking exactly that-- the girls could have planned their own departure.  That may be why Evie gave her father a birthday present and told him he shouldn't open until later--maybe it will give some clue as to why she left.  And also, I felt like the scene between John and Erika before the fundraiser might have been alluding to "Erika may have wanted to leave but Evie beat her to it", when John pointed out that Evie always wanted the necklace she was wearing but she'd never taken the hint and Erika replied that she did get the hint but didn't give it to her because she wanted it for herself.  I felt like it wasn't just a throw-away conversation and hinted at some darkness, or at least tension, between mother and daughter.

Totally unrelated, but I couldn't help noticing the similarity between the donation process described to Nora at the fundraiser, and the process she went through for paying to get hugged by Wayne. Large dollar amount, followed by a request for payment to be made by PayPal, then an offer to help her set up a PayPal account if she didn't have one.

• Love 4
I understand that Nora had a busy, stressful night but her not telling Kevin that Tom could be in trouble is one of the problems I have with S2. Last season one of the main plots was Kevin as a Dad, caring that Tom was missing, trying his best with Jill and now Jill and Kevin don't even interact. Kevin hasn't even mentioned his son this season.

I just presume that Laurie's call just slipped Nora's mind with the pile of crap that has landed at her doorstep.  However, I wouldn't fault her for purposefully not telling him after his confession.  I also totally understand why the "Kevin as dad" storylines have vanished.  Kevin's time seems pretty much consumed by keeping his secret about seeing and talking to Patti.  That necessarily isolates him from Jill, because he can't risk her finding out what is going on, and adding to his plate with the idea that Tom might be missing would likely just be too much for him.     

• Love 4

I understand Nora is scared to death that all her efforts to be safe will be for naught if the girls truly departed - thus, her frustration at John and Erika's family that this might be happening again, and her desire to prove otherwise (with the stolen questionnaire).  But Erika isjust as resigned to believe it WAS a true departure, rather than anything else because...why? The fact that Evie might run away on her own or be kidnapped is even worse? Or is it only that she wants everyone to wake up and realize Jarden is not miraculous, as she said in her impassioned speech?

How ironic, then, right? In order not to be blind to the fact that Jarden is just like every other town, not under any special protection by the Divine or the Universe, another unexplained quasi-religious event has to be acknowleged. But in order to keep alive the fantasy that Jarden is somehow blessed and miraculous, the girls' disapearance has to have an every day, ordinary explanation.

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 3
All those dead birds (which....ow) point to how much she's trying to take it back and isn't being allowed to.

Virgil's parting shot to Erika, would she like to take a bird with her? Talk about twisting the knife! I don't know how he knows, whether he's psychic, is aware it's a thing, or has been spying.

• Love 4

Indeed.

As soon as I heard the first 4 chords I knew it was "I Am a Rock."

Me too, I closed my eyes and let it wash over me. The song always brings up a lot for me. For me, the reason it is such a perfect song for this episode is that despite the on the nose "rock" it is a song all about how we bury pain and despair and isolate ourselves to keep from getting hurt - and Nora and Erika are prime examples of that. 

I enjoyed how Nora, so fearful about being a lens, was so relieved when the "researcher" brought up Azriel - something inexplicable happened in the world, but she wasn't about to believe in demons.

I did notice that Kevin said he started seeing Patti right after they found the baby. Who is (presumably) Wayne's daughter and was originally supposed to be "special" - but her mother decided she wasn't when she found out there were a number of babies. Maybe she truly is special, and is the one causing some of the problems. (timeline question - when was it Matt said his wife "woke up" - and how does it relate to the Nora/Garvey timeline?)

I expect Tom to show up in Miracle, and there to be one heck of a confrontation, given that he's the new Wayne.

• Love 4

Two beautiful and penetrating riffs on Nora's free-fall, shimpy. Her free-fall and her feral clutch for safety. My god yes, the sneer that Carrie C*** dared when Nora flattened Erika's vulnerable confession. Shot it out of the air point-blank, like she used to hire women to take aim at her. With far greater stakes, no vest, and offense both given and taken.  

Just how much did Nora's reaction mirror what Erika imagined John's would be?  Glass houses, for sure: Erika launching her rock at just the moment that Nora was discovering that she and Erika have something else in common: their men are kind of nuts.  

I loved the scene between Nora and Matt at the encampment, and how shrewd Matt is when it comes to his sister. First he questioned Nora's bringing Mary to the fund-raiser, recognizing how this was a silent volley only John and Erika would be able to perceive. Then his squint after Nora protested about the poor woman who had lost her daughter, and why wouldn't she feel compassion?  Matt almost didn't need to say, "Yes, why wouldn't you?", except that then, he wouldn't be family, proudly winning himself Nora's "Fuck you, Matt."

Virgil's parting shot to Erika, would she like to take a bird with her? Talk about twisting the knife! I don't know how he knows, whether he's psychic, is aware it's a thing, or has been spying.

Unless I miss my bet, the grandmother who told Erika to bury birds and make a wish, was Virgil's mother. Virgil, who'd first heard about the birds long before Erika was born, knew that right now, Erika needed to try belief, to see past what's "pretend."  In the same way he knew that Erika was troubled well before Evie disappeared. His scene with Erika very much mirrored Nora's with Matt, down to the men's rhetorical questions.  

I think it may have been Virgil and not John who created the accident that caused Erika's deafness, and even killed her mother. I wonder if Virgil was formerly the pastor of the church. After the accident, John -- who is also a baker, and may once have been Virgil's acolyte -- lost his faith, along with his temper and in consequence, his freedom; Virgil, like Matt, exiled himself but still draws some of the faithful to him. Meanwhile, Erika wants nothing to do with Virgil but cooks for the self-proclaimed prophet in the tower, attends church weekly and at the same time, half-enjoyed half-suspecting that Evie liked singing for herself more than for God. 

• Love 6

Count me in with those who appreciated having at least some of the mysteries fully resolved. It's not as though there aren't plenty of other things that haven't been explained yet, although I don't need the departures explained yet (or maybe ever). We could figure out why Erica was burying the birds, but the fact that she was planning to leave John was a revelation that does move the story forward (she couldn't very well leave the money in a safe deposit box if she was going to run at any moment). And Carrie C**** and Regina King turned in some excellent performances.

Nora has got to stop blowing money on a whim, though. Did you see Kevin's face when she said she wanted to donate 500 dollars? (And when she left him at the fundraiser with Mary and the baby?) And I still think Matt dumping his invalid wife on his sister (who already has a small baby to take care of) was a dick move. I don't care what he's doing out in the camp, he got his bracelet back and he should be taking care of his wife. What's his end game? When is he planning on coming back? Because even if Mary wakes up for good, I don't see John ever issuing an apology, if that's what Matt is waiting for. 

• Love 3

I've read everyone's theories about the rocks, and I still don't get it. 

So the people that John beats up that go to Erika's clinic are all treated by Erika?  Is that so she can tell them not to go to the police or John will go after them again and maybe kill them next time?  And the clinic is in on this "system" of treatment, as evidenced by Erika's co-worker who told her Erika needed to see this patient?   This whole town is fucked up.  Why are they letting John go around doing whatever he wants, which is to punch people? 

• Love 1

I understand Nora is scared to death that all her efforts to be safe will be for naught if the girls truly departed - thus, her frustration at John and Erika's family that this might be happening again, and her desire to prove otherwise (with the stolen questionnaire).  But Erika isjust as resigned to believe it WAS a true departure, rather than anything else because...why? The fact that Evie might run away on her own or be kidnapped is even worse? Or is it only that she wants everyone to wake up and realize Jarden is not miraculous, as she said in her impassioned speech?

izabella, I was struggling with the rocks as well. After a lot of thinking about it, A Boston Gal's theory is the one that resonates with me. Nora's rock shattered Erika's window is symbolic of the girls disappearance shattering Nora's fragile belief in the safety of Miracle and resurgence of the fear/guilt that she somehow culpable for the departure of her family.

Erika's rock  is symbolic of the same, but opposite need. She needed to believe her daughter disappearance was a departure, which spares her the guilt of wanting to leave, and stifling the fear/anger that her daughter may have engineered her own disappearance - just like Erika was planning to do. However, Erika's rock was more direct because Nora was actively trying to contradict Erika's belief.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3

Erika's rock  is symbolic of the same, but opposite need. She needed to believe her daughter disappearance was a departure, which spares her the guilt of wanting to leave...

I like your theory, but where I'm at is thinking Erika would feel that same guilt--that she somehow caused the daughter's disappearance--if she believed it was a departure. In other words, she'd be thinking the thought: "What if the way The Departure works is that it takes people whose loved ones were sort of wishing to be free of?" Kind of a "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

If that's what Erika were thinking, it wouldn't be rational, necessarily, but it would be very true to human nature.

• Love 2

Nora has got to stop blowing money on a whim, though. Did you see Kevin's face when she said she wanted to donate 500 dollars? (And when she left him at the fundraiser with Mary and the baby?) And I still think Matt dumping his invalid wife on his sister (who already has a small baby to take care of) was a dick move. I don't care what he's doing out in the camp, he got his bracelet back and he should be taking care of his wife.

Reading this post made me realize that the two siblings both tend to take on too much and then dump their burdens on others.

I've read everyone's theories about the rocks, and I still don't get it.

Sometimes a rock is just a rock. Heh.

I do like all of the theories, though.

So the people that John beats up that go to Erika's clinic are all treated by Erika?  Is that so she can tell them not to go to the police or John will go after them again and maybe kill them next time?  And the clinic is in on this "system" of treatment, as evidenced by Erika's co-worker who told her Erika needed to see this patient?   This whole town is fucked up.  Why are they letting John go around doing whatever he wants, which is to punch people?

Yes, that's the way I see it. I'm guessing John filled a void that appeared when the town began to be swamped with crazy people.

That was some powerhouse acting. The Nora/Erika scene was compelling TV.

I was riveted, and then at the end I was worn out. I maintain that Regina King is one of the most underrated actresses working.

It's rare that we discuss a mother leaving her family. We assume such a thing is Not Done. I know two men who were raised by single fathers after their mothers left; one's mother was an addict who disappeared into the disease, and the other just ... left. Split from her husband and did not want her three sons. I found it fascinating that Erika knows what John is and was ready to leave and knew what it would do to her children, and I was transfixed when she admitted she thought she'd wished Evie into the abyss.

I, too, hated the way Kevin's reveal was written. I think 99% of people would interpret "I'm seeing someone, I've been seeing someone" as "I've been spending time with someone romantically/sexually," rather than "I see an apparition." It was sloppy.

Nora has got to stop blowing money on a whim, though. Did you see Kevin's face when she said she wanted to donate 500 dollars

I had the same thought. Do they have any income? She spent the windfall on the house but what are they living on? $500 is a lot of money if you don't have any income.

• Love 2
She needed to believe her daughter disappearance was a departure, which spares her the guilt of wanting to leave, and stifling the fear/anger that her daughter may have engineered her own disappearance - just like Erika was planning to do.

Erika wanted to know that Evie wouldn't suffer if Erika left town; I think that was what she wished for as the buried bird bird flew away, hours before Evie disappeared. Erika is now afraid that her wish created the magic that whisked Evie away from this world. That Departed her. That's what Erika implied to Nora, and what Nora jumped on.  

• Love 3

You know in end, I thought Nora's whole rock throwing and subsequent behavior throughout the episode reminded me of that age old saying "throw a stone and hide your hand." Which is an old idiom meaning one should responsibility for your actions and stand behind what you say and do. Erika's actions at the end just showed Nora that she saw her for what she was and what she did. To top it off, Erika ain't no punk bitch! You gonna know it was her ass that done it!  

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 1