Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: The Me Nobody Knows

• Start Topic

I don't like Jackson and April, because everything is on April's terms.  April wants to raise the baby religiously, Jackson gives in and even states he will go to church with her.  April needs 1 year and 3 months after the death of baby goes without considering Jackson's feelings.  Now April decides its time to work on her marriage, because she is ready.  Jackson never gets to win, and I mean that to say there is no give and take in the relationship.  April always gets her way, Jackson still needs time but does April care no, she is ready so Jackson should be ready.  

• Love 1

My theory is she knows the hospital has been referred to as Grey Sloan Shepherd Mercy Death.  With death in the title and being seen as the slayer of the great Derek Shepherd (so great that his floating head appeared when his wife gave birth), she figured it was the perfect place for her.

You win. You just straight up win.

• Love 2

I feel like I'm the only one, but I loved this episode. Well, I enjoyed it a lot.

I like Meredith having to teach Penny, and I actually like Penny in a way. When Meredith was sitting in church, I knew immediately what she was trying to talk to Derek. And we know Derek liked Penny, or thought Penny had the potential to be good. Meredith ran from Derek's death for a long time -- leaving her home and the hospital -- and I think it's a good bit of dramatic irony that it's punching her in the face a year (ish) later. You can never run from your problems -- they always find you. As a Meredith fan, I'm hopeful that she (and please god, Amelia, too) gets some closure on Derek's death through Penny. And as I've said, I feel like bringing Penny on is their way of making sure Derek isn't forgotten, and I really like that.

I loved the Maggie and Richard story -- they so rarely have scenes together and these were lovely. As close to subtle as Grey's gets these days -- just really well done. You could see Maggie getting a little excited, in spite of herself, about knowing what her biological father was like in college. I actually liked Richard's scenes with both Maggie and Meredith -- his two "daughters," one by blood, one in spirit.

I completely agree with the poster who says April needs to apologize to Jackson. I personally would like to see some groveling. But I'm also oddly enjoying the sad, twisted way their relationship is completely hanging on by a thread, against all odds. One of my favorite things about this show is how it portrays the messy, complicated parts of relationships, and this is such an interesting, yet bizarre scenario, I'm kind of fascinated to see how it turns out.

However, I was extremely underwhelmed by Martin Henderson. He was too milquetoast for me. Made next to no impression. I got more of a spark from DeLuca the fake intern/attending than this guy. Owen Hunt hasn't been my favorite, but that was a man vs. a boy in that scene. Henderson just doesn't have the presence, that...indefinable spark, to me. Amp up your charisma, Martin Henderson, or I'll be counting down the days until you join the  "two minutes of screentime per episode" club. This is Grey's freaking Anatomy. You're in the big time now.

• Love 3

I feel like bringing Penny on is their way of making sure Derek isn't forgotten, and I really like that.

I think the ferry boat scrub cap is a more affecting way of making sure Derek isn't forgotten, rather than Penny. 

• Love 1

I disagree. Wearing things that belonged to a dead spouse doesn't really force one to deal with their death. Penny is Meredith literally facing her demons. Especially since she ran, and now they've caught up with her. The ferry boat scrub cap is easy. This is real, painful and far more challenging. And bringing in Richard, who also had to deal with demons when Meredith showed up, is a great reminder that it happens to many people, not just Meredith.

I find it incredibly compelling drama, and (presuming Penny gets better from her time at Seattle Grace Mercy Death) a way for something good to come out of Derek's death for Meredith that isn't just baby Ellis. Penny is part of Meredith's professional rebirth, and I, for one, am here for it.

• Love 5

I disagree. Wearing things that belonged to a dead spouse doesn't really force one to deal with their death. Penny is Meredith literally facing her demons. Especially since she ran, and now they've caught up with her. The ferry boat scrub cap is easy. This is real, painful and far more challenging. And bringing in Richard, who also had to deal with demons when Meredith showed up, is a great reminder that it happens to many people, not just Meredith.

I find it incredibly compelling drama, and (presuming Penny gets better from her time at Seattle Grace Mercy Death) a way for something good to come out of Derek's death for Meredith that isn't just baby Ellis. Penny is part of Meredith's professional rebirth, and I, for one, am here for it.

Hi Eolivet,

in what way do you think Penny is part of Meredith´s professional rebirth? We saw Meredith as quite a good teacher in the past. Or no?

What good can come out of it for Meredith?

Meredith told Penny to be better when she first met her the night Derek died. Penny couldn't speak up even though she knew the right answer, and it cost Derek's life. We saw her in a rural hospital surrounded by male doctors who didn't respect her opinion.

She had good instincts, but lacked proper training. Meredith told her to do better -- thus, Meredith will be the one to make her better. Meredith, who seemingly abandoned medicine for a while after Derek died.

I'd like to think the natural ending to this arc will be when Penny gets a critical patient, and this time, asserts herself and saves the patient's life. That Meredith will have been the one responsible for her professional growth feels like a rebirth, to me.

• Love 4

It feels right to me Eolivet, what you are saying, maybe the critical patient for Penny will be Meredith herself.

I always appreciate your thoughts. You are very nice for responding.

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 1

Meredith told Penny to be better when she first met her the night Derek died. Penny couldn't speak up even though she knew the right answer, and it cost Derek's life. We saw her in a rural hospital surrounded by male doctors who didn't respect her opinion.

She had good instincts, but lacked proper training. Meredith told her to do better -- thus, Meredith will be the one to make her better. Meredith, who seemingly abandoned medicine for a while after Derek died.

I'd like to think the natural ending to this arc will be when Penny gets a critical patient, and this time, asserts herself and saves the patient's life. That Meredith will have been the one responsible for her professional growth feels like a rebirth, to me.

Eolivet do you like speculating the storyline or no? Are you interested in spoilers? Or are you spoiler-free?

In case you do, would you be interested in dropping a few thoughts in the spec thread - you know how things with Meredith will go and stuff connected with it.....

Thanks.

Edited by Nobodysfan