Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Live Through This

After realizing the downward spiral he was on, Damon decides he’s going to turn over a new leaf and that his actions moving forward will do right by Elena. Lily prepares for the arrival of a special figure from her past, while Enzo stands by not sure what to expect. Elsewhere, at Caroline’s urging, Stefan comes face-to-face with Valerie and learns some upsetting details about her past, while Enzo and Bonnie find themselves at odds when they’re forced to fend off a violent threat. Finally, when Bonnie learns some disturbing information involving the Phoenix stone, she is forced to confront Alaric.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ltfupqRAk

"Long awaited reunion"? Uh, no. First of all, this is only the fifth episode of the season which is how long we've known about Valerie. Secondly, we just found out in, what, the third episode that she and Stefan were in a relationship (sort of, if you count having sex once as a relationship). Thirdly I don't care about them as a couple at all. So no, Julie Plec, this is not the long awaited reunion.

• Love 2

Enzo is so freaking stupid. Clearly, Bon Bon only falls for him after becoming an alcoholic like her besties. Lily cannot die soon enough. I'm more interested in Stefan/Valerie than I am in Stefan/Caroline. Caroline just bugs me.

And for the love of Jeebus can we please stop hearing about Elena!

• Love 1

Ugh I do not give a shit about Valerie, and Bonnie and Enzo have exactly as much chemistry as I anticipated: Zero.  Why not Matt they're both mortal. I was only watching for the time jump and now I see Bonnie is depressed in recovery for something and making out with Enzo? YUCK. 

The only positive I have for this one is that I like Not Jo so far. 

• Love 6

Missed the first half of the episode but the last half was good.

Stefan's face when hearing about the pregnancy was heartbreaking. Poor Stefan.

Bonnie and Enzo?! Uh, ok?

I agree that Lily can't go fast enough. I love Damon's revenge plan! I love that Bonnie loves Damon's revenge plan too!

And as always, Damon looked great! The crazy eyes were back!

Thank you TVD; that was more like it. Good fast-paced episode.

Considering the publicity for the episode was all "SHOCKING new couple omg!!1!" I didn't really care too much either way about Bonnie and Enzo. Probably because of the tedium of the latter.

Kudos to Paul Wesley for his scenes with Valerie; his reaction was beautifully done. And ditto to Matt Davis and Jodi Lyn O'Keefe when Alaric realises that it really isn't Jo. Him promising to help an unknown, scared vampire was strangely touching. But boy is he lucky that a nice vampire ended up in there instead of a ripper maniac. See Ric, your luck isn't all bad!

• Love 2

But boy is he lucky that a nice vampire ended up in there instead of a ripper maniac. See Ric, your luck isn't all bad!

I think it's more about the limitations of the body the soul ends up in. Whoever was in Oscar ended up in the body of a ripper heretic vampire. Jo's body is human, not super-strong and, while she has witch powers, they aren't that good.

• Love 1

I knew they would go with Bonnie and Enzo instead of the predicted Alaric and Bonnie. I liked Enzo before he was ruined him with his obsession of Stefan and the forgettable Salvatore Girl. They need to stop using Bonnie to endear hated characters to fans. 

Damon is seriously entertaining me. 

Stefan weakness is his need to be a good vampire when he is not a ripper. It is also the thing that makes him do stupid things. 

Don't care about Jojo or Valerie. 

• Love 1

Well I may be at a table for one but I truely didn't like anything about that episode.

1. Great potiental character Oscar was replaced by a dud body jack then killed. While Jo who I never cared for in the orginal form is magically a "good" souled body jack and is sticking around!

2. Future Bonnie gets screwed with the suckiest unhappy life and I suspect she is really body jacked by Lily and that is why the OOC frenzy with Enzo. (I like Enzo but the kissing scene was just not Bonnie's style at all)

3. Not a huge Stefan fan in general but his personality this season extra grates on me for some reason. The way he just stand around an lets things happen with his mouth open is annoying. I also think it is extra cruel to saddle him with yet another heartbreaking thing(killed own father, made brother finish transition against his will then drove him away, Klaus compelled him to forget Rebecca, watch as brother killed his oldest bestest friend, lose Elena to his brother, drown in a safe all summer while brother and Elena forgot about him). He is almost as hard to watch as poor Matt. Plus he finally has a woman who loves only him and I'm sorry Stefan just isn't that into Caroline.

4. I know lots of people love Damon and Bonnie, but I frankly don't see that big a deal and I love Damon and Ric. There is no way Damon would abandon Ric and be hangin' with Bonnie while Ric is left hangin'.

5. Lastly and most important I loathe Lily and wish a horrible death on her. I can't stand a mother who would treat her own children like this and it is not entertaining to me, I just want her gone.

Like I said, didn't like this at all and I dread.....Julian! ugh!

I think it's more about the limitations of the body the soul ends up in. Whoever was in Oscar ended up in the body of a ripper heretic vampire. Jo's body is human, not super-strong and, while she has witch powers, they aren't that good.

Actually Jo gave her powers to Kai so she was an ex-witch without any powers.

• Love 1

I actually quite liked Bonnie/Enzo back and forth, not sure what is happening in the flashforward but it is three years in the future so a lot can happen everyone seems different in them.

Bonnie and Enzo. All of the no's. Fuck that. I'm never going to rid of this guy. And of all guys Bonnie falls for, its him? Meanwhile my boy Matt is wondering around in the woods or some shit.

• Love 4

I had a thought about the mark thing. Could it be to make sure the sound returns to the proper body? Beau was trapped there for 10 years and Stefan will be.

Other than that... Who cares about anything that happened this episode? And how cringe is Enzo's creepy MILF fetish. I can't believe he actually asked Lily to choose him over Julian!? The actual hell. Idiot.

Oh, and that future scene? It was awkwardly shot. They should have kissed first and then elaborate on shy he's there... Eye roll at it being both Damon and Bonnie putting themselves into some kind of time out in the future. Watch Elena be the reason why she's at what I assume to be some mental health facility.

Well I may be at a table for one but I truely didn't like anything about that episode.

4. I know lots of people love Damon and Bonnie, but I frankly don't see that big a deal and I love Damon and Ric. There is no way Damon would abandon Ric and be hangin' with Bonnie while Ric is left hangin'.

I am confused...when did Damon leave Alaric hanging to be with Bonnie? The only scene they had together was at the end and Alaric was with "Jo" then. Besides, they are both his best friends and there have been a lot of scenes with the three amigos. I think the show has made a good job at showing how they are both the closest people to him now.

Edited by fantique

Bonnie & ENZO?????? This means that they aren't getting rid of Enzo any time soon, does it?

I can see the whole Julian plot stretching out ahead, why can't they just get rid of these people & go back to the show this is supposed to be?

This episode wasn't too bad actually. This season has been off to a pretty strong start.  

I mean I still don't care that much about the Heretics or the Originals-lite as I like to call them. I still don't know why the show thought that linking one of them with Stefan would be a good idea at this point. The story line has been done to death. Stefan has had 10 000 first great loves in his relatively short vampire life and I gotta say Valarie is definitely the weakest, there is 0 spark between Paul and the actress playing Valerie. I mean, poor girl is up against Katherine Pierce and Rebekah Mikealson and even with her nifty witchpire powers she still doesn't compete. But I agree with what someone said up thread about how perfectly Paul played the scene with Valerie confessing that she was pregnant with his child all those years ago and of course the brutal way in which she was forced to miscarry. That Julian is a monster and I sincerely hope that both Stefan and Valerie axe him. 

Speaking of Julian, Lily's obsession with him is not unlike Damon's obsession with Elena so at least now we know where he gets it from. 

I was expecting the Bonnie and Enzo hook up due to all the spoilers out about Bonnie having a love interest this season. As a Bamon fan, I'm not thrilled about it as I see Enzo as the bargain basement version of Damon and therefore a lot of the back and forth banter he and Bonnie had going on tonight felt like recycled Bamon scenes from the past 6 seasons so the show is going to have work overtime to sell me on their ~love story~. 

One interesting thing I did pick up from their scenes tonight was Enzo referring to Bonnie as a 'lovelorn witch' which infers that she's pining for someone and of course that someone is Damon. Kat has been playing Bonnie's growing feelings for Damon very subtly but it seems as though both me and Enzo have been paying close attention. Which leads me to believe that Bonenzo will come probably come about through them bonding over being hung up on the Salvatore mother and son duo. 

Bonnie's flash forwards were the most compelling to me. Kat Graham has really grown as an actress over the years and I felt just all of the feelings watching poor Bonnie in what I assume to be a mental facility or a rehab center. I can't wait till the show catches up to the present so we can finally see how all these new dynamics will play out. 

I've also been really enjoying Damon this season? And I haven't TRULY enjoyed Damon like this since season one so kudos show. 

I'd give this episode a solid B+ 

Edited by stormborn

There was only one thought going through my mind at the end of this episode:

Stefan

/             \

Caroline__Valerie

"NO!!!! NOT ANOTHER FREAKING LOVE TRIANGLE!!!"

Elena being gone was the perfect opportunity for these characters to finally have a purpose and personality beyond serving Elena in all things and characterization that has nothing to do with relationships and how do they squander that opportunity? By going right back to the beginning and starting up a LOVE TRIANGLE!!!!. Love triangles have always been incredibly nonsensical and annoying, but it's even worse when a work of fiction is so worthless it can't even exist without it. What's next?

Bonnie?

/           \

Enzo?____Matt?

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 2

When Jo woke up, I was half expecting her to look at Alaric and ask, "Who are you?" so I wasn't surprised in the next scene when she didn't remember anything. The most disappointing them about the phoenix stone is that we didn't get the real Oscar back. I loved that original Oscar hid Julian's body in a huge room full of coffins. For some reason, I was cracking up at the thought of Oscar asking about buying coffins in bulk. Also kind of funny when new Oscar realized he could do magic. "Did I do that?"

Enzo, you dumbass. Why would Lily choose you, who she still sees as a child, over Julian, who she was already in love with? And then Lily chose Julian over you, why would you just hand over the phoenix stone? There's being a gracious loser and there's being an idiot. Valerie already explained that Julian is a monster but you're cool with him coming back because you're too mopey and emo to hold onto the stone?

Bonnie has looked even prettier than usual this season. I think maybe it's the longer hair with the soft curls.

Ha, I loved Damon trying to turn over a new leaf. He's so bad at being good but at least he's amusing when he's trying. That whole scene in the car was hilarious, from the song choice to Damon popping up from the backseat with his (very accurate) hypothesis. Also loved when he was yanking locks off the door as Valerie and Stefan squabbled.

I am still uninterested in Stefan and Caroline. I also love how they sleep together and instantly everyone is referring to them as boyfriend and girlfriend (despite the fact that, as Stefan pointed out, they haven't even been on a real date yet).

I laughed when Stefan assured Valerie that Damon would never let Lily have the phoenix stone and then we cut to the phoenix stone on Julian's chest as Mary Louise and Nora chanted over him. Why would Stefan say that in the first place knowing that Damon wasn't even in possession of the phoenix stone? Ha and even if Damon had it, he would just hide it in the soap dish again.

Remember when shocking things used to happen on TVD? I still remember how I gasped when Katherine chopped off John Gilbert's fingers. The most shocking thing in this episode was Bonnie kissing Enzo, but not in a good way.

The most disturbing thing in this episode was Lily's attitude: "Call it what you will - devotion, control. I call it love." Those are the words of a woman in an abusive relationship. Oscar had no love lost for Julian but Mary Louise and Nora said that the party would start again once Julian returned. I wonder if they really like Julian or if they just like being around someone who likes causing trouble. And I really wonder how Julian is going to react to all of Lily's rules about not killing too many humans. If he is the massacring type (as Valerie said he was), then he is going to want to leave Mystic Falls and go on a killing spree.

I wonder if whoever is inside Jo's body will eventually recover any of her memories or remember who she is. Hopefully she's not another psycho. If she turns out to be a ripper, Alaric is going to have a hard time killing Jo's body.

Why was there a gun in the box with Jo's wedding dress?

• Love 2

Why would Lily choose you, who she still sees as a child, over Julian, who she was already in love with? And then Lily chose Julian over you, why would you just hand over the phoenix stone?

I honestly can't decide what is more random, the show telling me that Bonnie and Enzo are romantically together, or the show pretending it ever showed OR TOLD us Enzo was in love with his sire. I feel like that's the whole season, they just decided what would happen for plot, and none of it has to make any narrative sense whatsoever. 

Weirdly I am liking Steroline again after spending the last two being apathetic to bummed out by their chemistry fizzling. I'm still glad they are not together in the future. 

The most disappointing them about the phoenix stone is that we didn't get the real Oscar back.

IKR? Let's take the only interesting heretic, kill him, restore him w/o his awesome personality, and then kill him again. Sorry dude you just another pin in Julie Plec's personal PoC bowling alley that is TVD.

• Love 1

2. Future Bonnie gets screwed with the suckiest unhappy life and I suspect she is really body jacked by Lily and that is why the OOC frenzy with Enzo. (I like Enzo but the kissing scene was just not Bonnie's style at all)

Nooooooooooooooo! Perish the thought!

And future Bonnie (assuming she's actually Bonnie) says she lost someone she loved. Who could that be? Have we seen Matt in any of the flash forwards? Everyone else seems to be present and accounted for.

I'm just going to ignore Bonnie/Enzo. The present-day interactions seemed way forced and the future kiss was just awkward.

Edited by prospazzinator
  • Love 1
I honestly can't decide what is more random, the show telling me that Bonnie and Enzo are romantically together, or the show pretending it ever showed OR TOLD us Enzo was in love with his sire. I feel like that's the whole season, they just decided what would happen for plot, and none of it has to make any narrative sense whatsoever.

I really did not understand the "Enzo is in love with Lily" storyline when they initially introduced it. First of all, he never mentioned this epic love to Damon during all the years they were imprisoned together. But beyond that, Lily was around at the end of last season and there was no indication that he was into her. Then at the beginning of this season, there still wasn't anything for the first episode or two when he hadn't really chosen a side yet, and then after he moved into the Salvatore house, he finally confessed his love to her. What the hell? It totally makes no sense when you remember that Enzo spent almost no time with Lily. They were on the same ship, she got the fake doctor to admit that he couldn't cure Enzo's TB, she fed Enzo her blood, and then she and the heretics murdered everyone else on the ship and disappeared before he finished transitioning. It's not like they had this great love affair before she turned him. They barely knew each other and Enzo was unconscious or barely conscious for most of the time they were together on the ship. I get that he might have some Florence Nightingale syndrome going on here because she turned him into a vampire when he was dying of consumption, but to me that amounts to little more than a crush on someone you barely know.

• Love 2

I am confused...when did Damon leave Alaric hanging to be with Bonnie? The only scene they had together was at the end and Alaric was with "Jo" then. Besides, they are both his best friends and there have been a lot of scenes with the three amigos. I think the show has made a good job at showing how they are both the closest people to him now.

I just don't buy the Damon and Bonnie best friend thing. It is my personal feeling. Damon has a very close relationship with Ric and a now decent relationship with Stefan. Damon has been shown to have some conflict about Bonnie due to Elena. I do see that he would care about her like he does Matt b/c of Elena's feelings. And I also get the prison world bond, but Ric just found out he purposely body jacked his wife. Damon of past would have been right over to help.

Lots of veiwers resent some things Plec did to service the Delena fans. I just resent what I see as making Damon and Bonnie closer than they would be to service Bamon fans. I do like the Ric/Bonnie/Damon stuff b/c it was more about Bonnie and Damon helping Ric which makes more sense to me. I enjoy the three Amigos better. But I have also never seen much connection with Bonnie and Damon as other do. So to me these scenes like at the bar feel contrived.

• Love 1

The Heretics are growing on me, but I really hate the Valerie/Stefan/Caroline triangle. That's a convention that's used WAYYY too much on this show, and I'm over it. There are plenty of factors that can break up Caroline and Stefan going forward (not that I want them to, but I appreciate this show needs a dramatic element like a breakup to propel it forward) that don't involve another damn love triangle. It's so annoying, and I'm disappointed that they've included it. If Valerie was so important to Stefan in the past (The v-card factor aside) then why are we just now hearing about it? I'm not buying that it'd be enough of a reason to break them up, even with the dead baby secret, because although it would suck that he kept that from Caroline, it's not as though there's anything either party can do about the situation now. Plus, seeing as Stefan just found out about the unborn child himself, that's really more of a heartache for Valerie than anyone else involved, so as much as it would stink keeping that from Caroline because Valerie asked him to, I'd have to think that given what we know about Caroline she wouldn't use that as a reason to end things. The whole thing kind of feels tacked-on to me. There are plenty of interesting plot points surrounding the Heretics vs. Stefan and co that this whole love triangle is not necessary at all.

The saving grace for me this season are the flash forwards at the beginning of each episode. I'm so curious what went down to have things where they are during those scenes and can't wait to see it all unfold.

• Love 1

Nooooooooooooooo! Perish the thought!

And future Bonnie (assuming she's actually Bonnie) says she lost someone she loved. Who could that be? Have we seen Matt in any of the flash forwards? Everyone else seems to be present and accounted for.

I'm just going to ignore Bonnie/Enzo. The present-day interactions seemed way forced and the future kiss was just awkward.

Now that someone floated the theory that someone else is in Future Bonnie's body, I'm convinced that's what the deal is. Bonnie doesn't really have anyone left to lose, the mental institution scene makes no sense if that's actually Bonnie. Future Bonnie really being Lily is a strong theory. Valerie is a contender as well.

What the hell? It totally makes no sense when you remember that Enzo spent almost no time with Lily.

Right they aren't even suggesting he's sire sauced, and this is just the first time he's been around her long enough to feel it, because last year and the first eps this year: NOTHING. Just boom Enzo is hot for Lily duh, pay attention dummies!

Future Bonnie really being Lily is a strong theory.

It is, and would be if didn't mean Bonnie has died AGAIN. Which means that's probably the case. Plec's perfect solution make Bonnie a white woman.

Edited by blixie

It is, and would be if didn't mean Bonnie has died AGAIN. Which means that's probably the case. Plec's perfect solution make Bonnie a white woman.

Not necessarily, Bonnie could just be somewhere else. Like a great big body-swap went on at some point.

If she's taken over Bonnie's body, then who would Lily be crying about during the group session? Julian? Because then making out with Enzo makes no sense. Stefan or Damon? Haha. Mother of the year she is not. And she doesn't use the plural so I'm guessing it wouldn't be her heretic children either. And for it to just be one of them also doesn't really jive.

And because I'm totally grasping at anything that will mean we are not still stuck with Lily and especially not in Bonnie's body: There appears to be a photo collage on the wall behind Bonnie during the kiss scene. Lily doesn't strike me as the collage kind. But maybe it's just a painting. I'll just be over here clutching my straws.

Not necessarily, Bonnie could just be somewhere else. Like a great big body-swap went on at some point.

I don't know that I like that much better, and Kat would still be playing a white woman character, and still doesn't make sense since so far Kat/Michael have no chemistry, he at least has some with Lily (and also with Caroline). Purely as a plot twist I like it, and if this show wasn't a nightmare on representation, and it's treatment of Bonnie in particular, than I'd be more excited about it. 

If she's taken over Bonnie's body, then who would Lily be crying about during the group session? Julian? Because then making out with Enzo makes no sense.

I assume Lily is going to learn Julian is every bit as awful as everyone told her and is now chastened in the future, hopefully the someone(s) she loved are her heretic children and every last one of them is dead.

I know it's small, but one thing that disappointed me a surprising amount was Damon knowing about Valerie from snooping through Stefan's journal, possibly when they were human. I've been hoping ever since the season started that we'd get to see some more flashbacks of the brothers before they were turned, and the great relationship they were supposed to have had with each other before Katherine showed up. It would have been nicer to hear that The Valerie Story was something a young Stefan willingly shared with his big brother, and also maybe that Damon was pissed at her because he had to pick up the emotional wreck that was his brother after Valerie jilted him. Generally speaking, close siblings don't take it well when someone hurts their sibling like that. Hell, I've never even met my sister's disastrous boyfriend and we're not even that close, but after the way he treated her he'll get a piece of my mind on my if I ever cross paths with him.

Bonnie isn't Lily. Lily is in the previews and Kat said Bonnie would be different as a result of something she went through. My guess is her and Damon hooked up or made out or developed feelings for each other which would explain why Bonnie put herself in a mental institution and Damon decided to decay

Either Elena or Damon could easily be the person she lost.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3

I have decided to give up trying to make sense of the plots and focus on my favourite characters and their interaction ie Defan. This was episode was great stuff - Damon pushing all Stefan's, Stefan's exasperation with Damon. I think Ian bringing his A game this season and I am back on the Damon Train again.

I hate this Valerie sl but I'm hopeful that it's going to unite the Salvatores in going after Julian.

I totally missed the whole Bonnie flash forward but Bonnie and Enzo is just bleurgh. I did like seeing Ms Cuddles again.

I know it's small, but one thing that disappointed me a surprising amount was Damon knowing about Valerie from snooping through Stefan's journal, possibly when they were human. I've been hoping ever since the season started that we'd get to see some more flashbacks of the brothers before they were turned, and the great relationship they were supposed to have had with each other before Katherine showed up.

I interpreted that scene somewhat differently in that Damon seemed to know about The Valerie Story from Stefan but had a good old snoop in Stefan's diary anyway to glean some more details. Stefan has always tended to be more private than Damon. Let's be honest, everyone has read Stefan's diary at this point.

I really want to see some pre Katherine Defan too - I think I read somewhere that we would get some.

Edited by Jads
  • Love 1

Why would Bonnie put herself in a MENTAL INSTITUTION for making out with someone? Like, losing her entire family didn't make her need therapy but having sex does? That's too 19th century melodramatic.

It's so strange because I was sure at the start of the episode that she was talking about the end of Season 6 and losing Elena. Then at the end of the episode when she and Damon were making their Lily vendetta pact, I felt she was referring to something in this plan that will make her lose Damon. But at no point in time did I think it was sex guilt. Didn't Elena give him permission to date? The show could even spin it that Elena would be happy that Damon and Bonnie 'comforted' each other. Ugh.

Have you met Bonnie? How many times has she died for someone she doesn't even like nevermind someone she actually cares about. Again, I don't think Bonnie is Lily, no way Damon would leave her alone if there was even a chance of that.

• Love 2

Given that Bonnie discovered she didn't resurrect Jo but put a vampire soul into her body in the same episode where we saw the flash forward, I think that's the simplest explanation for her retreat into a mental institution. The mistake she can't get over is resurrecting Jo. We haven't seen what likely horrible outcome that will have yet. Since Jo was preggers and we've already seen the twins...did Bonnie put little vampire souls in them as well?

I also think she is truly in love with Enzo (shudder) since they juxtapose their first interaction in today's timeline with their future relationship.

The coffin next to Damon's must be Elena's. That why we saw Tyler in the flash forward -- when Damon goes into cold storage, he has Tyler put him where he stashed Elena.

I'm already over this new Stefan triangle. It makes no sense to me that Stefan was involved with someone before Katherine.

I have no idea why these fools all decided it was ok to let Lily have that stone. Couldn't Bonnie have magicked it away from Enzo?

Edited by chrisvee
  • Love 1
I have no idea why these fools all decided it was ok to let Lily have that stone. Couldn't Bonnie have magicked it away from Enzo?

Because things like magic, vamp speed, and super hearing are only employed when it suits the writers' purposes. The rest of the time, they pretend none of that exists.

• Love 2

I can only guess that it's the same gun with which Alaric attempted suicide after Jo died. Of course, if it was, he should've known full well from experience that it was empty.

In fairness, there's no such thing as an unloaded gun. Given how familiar Alaric is with weapons in general, he would be particularly aware of this.

I was suitably entertained, though I haven't really hated the Heretics as much as some. I do think it's a bit weird that Enzo is supposed to be this fully realized character that has been around for nearly two seasons and we still don't know his last freaking name. I also think it's rich that Bonnie's getting Damon Jr. as her love interest in the future.

I think the actors are doing some serious work this season, so that's pretty enjoyable as well. I continue to be amazed at how marginalized the POCs are on this show. I guess it's not as disgusting as earlier seasons, so that's something...?

I think she's only died for Elena and Jeremy, really. But what does that have to do with locking herself up for having sex with Damon? And how does her obvious love for Enzo factor into that? It's just plain illogical. Like, I'm not saying she can't make out with Damon now or in the future, but I don't understand how that makes her get herself committed.

Caroline gets a cushy flashy job and a hot fiancé and Bonnie gets therapy, dirty clothes and Enzo NoName? Really, Show?

Bonnie has a history of sacrificing her life for others from Elena to Jeremy to shitty Alaric or the world so it's easy to see how Bonnie would commit herself to an institution on pain of "hurting Elena" especially when the writers don't see Bonnie as a sentient being but more as a plot device and vehicle for everyone else's woes.

(edited)

Like a Phoenix, I don't know if DigitalCount was being allegorical or facetious (it's moments like this when I regret that you can't always read the intended tone on the internet), but just wanted to let you know that yes, it's possible to have an unloaded gun. If I recall correctly, the gun Jo found was a revolver, which is the kind of gun people associate with Russian roulette. The round barrel has six chambers, one for each bullet. You can load none of the chambers, some of the chambers, or all of the chambers. You can open it at any time to see how many bullets are inside, but if you just look at a revolver without opening it, you can't tell how many bullets are loaded. You can leave a gun unloaded (which is how some people store them).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo