Type keyword(s) to search

Good Morning America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Variety is reporting that Josh Elliott is in talks to return to GMA

No surprise there.  Becoming Matt Lauer's heir apparent didn't pan out, especially after NBC fired Josh's pal Jamie Horowitz, and I doubt Josh wants to stay buried over at NBC Sports.

I know people don't like Josh Elliott, but I would take him over Michael Strahan or the Bachelor Jesse Palmer.  Make Strahan a special correspondent and give Josh Strahan's seat.

It seems like Robin is gone so much lately. I hope it's just vacation and that nothing is up with her health. So many times I tune in, and she's not there, but I never hear them say "Robin's on vacation" or any other explanation.

I don't typically watch GMA, but I tuned in for the One Direction concert, which I loved by the way (yes, I am a non-teenager fan!).  That said, this news show in general feels a little low rent to me....I don't know if it the graphics and such they use, or what, but I didn't really care for it otherwise.  I also didn't find their hosts to be all that compelling or give me a reason to tune in.  Just my general feelings, but at least the concert series of the day was good.  

It seems like Robin is gone so much lately. I hope it's just vacation and that nothing is up with her health. So many times I tune in, and she's not there, but I never hear them say "Robin's on vacation" or any other explanation.

I was just going to point out the same thing. It feels like she's been off all freaking summer except for a random day or two here & there, or right after the ESPYs, which she presented at/covered for GMA, or when she was back right before her recent special on the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina hitting the Gulf aired.

I know, technically, she's probably a more "senior" host to Stephanopolous, since she was there before him, but by this point you'd think their contracts would be more equal in stuff like vacation/personal time off, & it feels like--in comparison to Robin--he's almost never off.

I get she'd be off today--Labor Day is a National/Federal Holiday, & most national or local news show anchors will take today or tomorrow off for it--but she gets the rest of the summer??

Stephanopolous doesn't even get that much time off, unless he's saving most of his now for when the political stuff gets going in a bigger way than just certain candidates practically living in Iowa right now & the early debates. And he does a 2nd weekly show Robin doesn't have on her plate on a regular basis; not to mention he's ABC's main "Breaking News" anchor & pretty regularly fills in when David Muir's off of World News Tonight. He might be off GMA tomorrow, for his Labor Day break, though.

I also know Robin has her own production company now (they mentioned it on GMA awhile back, in connection with something else big involving her, as I remember), but I didn't think there was that much in their "pipeline" she might have to personally oversee, or whatever.

Thankfully, I haven't actually seen or heard anything in the media indicating her health has taken a negative turn--but I also get she may not be as eager to announce that as before. Nor have I seen anything on her Twitter that says anything other than she's on vacation.

I also haven't heard of anything, recently, involving Robin's partner, Amber, she might've taken/asked for time off to help her deal with. Nor have I heard anything like they got married & are on their honeymoon. I know they were on vacation together when Robin's ESPN colleague, Stuart Scott, lost his cancer battle--I remember Robin talking about them being in line to board a plane when 1 or both of them started getting texts about his death. I think Robin's mentioned in passing they'd been some other places together this summer, when she's actually been on GMA, but that's it.

Maybe she'll be back tomorrow.

I just have to say that Sara Haines is really starting to annoy me the more I see and HEAR her. She's like a pesky gnat or a yappy little dog (no offense to yappy dogs).

That's all, I feel better.

Anybody have any views on Paula Faris? She's a new panelist on The View this season and is having a hard time "fitting in" with Whoopi. I watch GMA on Sunday and I think she does well there. Anyone else? I like her, maybe not her politics so much, and feel bad for her with the crap she has to take on The View.

• Love 1

Anybody have any views on Paula Faris? She's a new panelist on The View this season and is having a hard time "fitting in" with Whoopi. I watch GMA on Sunday and I think she does well there. Anyone else? I like her, maybe not her politics so much, and feel bad for her with the crap she has to take on The View.

Her flirting with Dan Harris distracts me. I guess she's trying to increase the banter, but I wish she'd tone it down.

Everybody who doesn't kiss The Whoopster's butt has a "hard time fitting in".  Paula is her own person & marches to her own drummer, so she doesn't give a damn about what Whoopi has to say!!  Just sayin'.

• Love 1

'Good Morning America' wondering where viewers went

So many things went wrong for me.  The chemistry has been off ever since Sam Champion and Josh Elliott, who has disappeared from NBC and NBC Sports, left.  Just promoting whoever was next in line and hiring Strahan just to add another man to the panel doesn't work when the people have little chemistry IMO. 

The article made a good point about GMA being out of touch with them leaning too heavily on the infotainment garbage even after tragedies and disasters.  More news is working for CBS, and even Today knows to keep the lighter stuff contained to the 8:30 half hour when there's bad shit happening in the news.

• Love 2

Meh, Paula Faris is a non-entity IMO.  Anyone could take her place on GMA Weekend and she was put on the View just so they could say they have a journalist on the panel I guess.

In a move that surprises no one, Josh Eilliott is leaving NBC Sports.  He should have stayed his ass put at GMA.  Josh was sooner, and more likely, to take over for George than he ever was Matt Lauer, but there was blood in the water at Today at the time so I can't completely blame him.

• Love 1

So I heard a commercial on ABC that someone is returning to GMA.

Not hearing anything more than that. Is there any insider dirt? Maybe Josh? I knowthey have already said there is no room for Sam.

They said someone is returning for a week (at least that's what I heard.) With Ginger Zee on maternity leave, I'm guessing Sam is filling in (contracts permitting), or maybe someone from the more distant past like Spencer Christian. Their hints of loves barbecue and the beach (or something similar) don't tell much.

Does anyone remember the last time Robin was at the anchor desk for a full freakin' week, or at least more than 1 day a week?

She was speaking in Sarasota the night of the 7th, according to her Twitter, but no indication where she's been since yesterday, or whenever her most recent day on air at GMA was. That's fine she's popular/in demand as a speaker, but either she or ABC needs to rein in how often per week/month she's allowed to be gone for that, in addition to her contractual sick/ personal/vacation days or when she's doing a GMA/ABC story or special. It's getting so I wonder why they're even counting her among the hosts anymore (when they say "Welcome back to Good Morning America, with Robin, George, Lara, Ginger & Michael.") she's gone so much.

Personally, I think it would be nice if she'd put in a little more time, per week, at GMA than at whatever's keeping her off it. When she's off, I still watch but I don't like it as much unless Strahan's on it (& he can't even stick around the whole show when he is, unless he & Kelly pre-taped 1, 'cause he has to get from GMA's studio in Times Square to his & Kelly's studio in time to do his show with Kelly which, of course, goes live in many markets as soon as GMA ends).

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

I used to be a big Robin fan, but that kind of faded after she went through her last bout with cancer & THEN came out as lesbian, especially since her partner had seen her through both bouts of cancer, etc.  I just don't get why she didn't "come out" sooner.  But then, she may have been privy to ABC backlash that Sam Champion suffered that was not made public.

I used to be a big Robin fan, but that kind of faded after she went through her last bout with cancer & THEN came out as lesbian, especially since her partner had seen her through both bouts of cancer, etc. I just don't get why she didn't "come out" sooner. But then, she may have been privy to ABC backlash that Sam Champion suffered that was not made public.

Maybe she didn't come out before because it really wasn't the general public's business until she felt comfortable with the world knowing she's a lesbian (although, I'd kind of suspected long before she announced it on her Facebook post). Some are open about it from the beginning, others take years to open up about it. It just depends on the person, as well as the partner (at least in some cases, like if the couple is a celebrity & a non-celebrity) & how comfortable they are with having the world know something that personal about them; especially if it could make them targets of hate crimes & groups like the Westboro Baptist Church (& other judgmental types).

• Love 1

Robin's partner was right there with her through her illness and Robin probably wanted to give her credit. To me, that is the most important thing about rights for gay people. If a husband or wife of a patient is allowed to be with their loved one in the hospital then a partner should be able to be there too. If Robin wanted to tell the world about her partner then she should have every right to do so.

• Love 1

Since we're discussing Robin being gay does anyone know if David Muir is also gay? I just saw him on The View earlier today and since I've never seen him anywhere but reporting the news I think he might be too.

Also, his hair is funky.

Since we're discussing Robin being gay does anyone know if David Muir is also gay? I just saw him on The View earlier today and since I've never seen him anywhere but reporting the news I think he might be too.

Also, his hair is funky.

There are rumors, but he's never come out. He sort of has Bob's Big Boy hair .

OMG!!  Does this mean he's circling the drain??  I don't know if this is a good move or not??

There seems to be little opportunity for advancement at CBS.  The only thing I can think of is maybe go the James Brown route and do both hard news and sports in the hopes JB retires some day.

• Love 1

I like Josh. He should have never left Good Morning America. I remember he wanted a huge pay raise and left for greener pastures. Those green pastures never materialized and now he is reduced to this!

• Love 1

I like Josh. He should have never left Good Morning America. I remember he wanted a huge pay raise and left for greener pastures. Those green pastures never materialized and now he is reduced to this!

He ended up having to start his new job early, too. I think I read he was supposed to have started today, but they called him in to work yesterday when the news broke about the terrorist attacks at the Brussels airport & metro station.

• Love 1

ABC was willing to pay him his price but he wanted out of ABC so took a pay cut to go to NBC.

GMA backed up the Brinks truck to lure Michael Strahan off of Live and unto GMA full time.

Truth is, ABC is doing everything it can to fend off a 'Today' show comeback in the ratings. As a result, we're told 'GMA' will be "reformatted in September" to play to Strahan's strengths. Our sources say, despite the changes, George Stephanopoulos and Robin Roberts are absolutely safe and ABC sees Michael, Robin and George as the "three musketeers."

And if you're wondering why Iger would get involved -- we're told the network is paying very, very handsomely ... as in well into 8 figures.

I wonder if this spells doom for Lara Spencer.  If the TMZ report is true, it doesn't sound like TPTB thinks she's part of the glue that keeps the show together despite making her a "co-host" a few years ago.

It doesn't sound like GMA gets why people started fleeing their show either.  I certainly don't think serious anything when it comes to Michael Strahan.

ETA:  The Wrap is basically saying the same thing, GMA thinks Strahan is the key to gaining viewers back:  http://www.thewrap.com/inside-michael-strahans-move-to-gma-and-the-hunt-to-replace-him/

They need to lessen the silliness and fix the chemistry more.  Maybe Michael there every day will fix the latter problem.

Edited by junemeatcleaver

I like Michael fine, he seems like a decent guy. But I have to ask: What exactly are his strengths that they're going to play to? He's not a great interviewer, he's intelligent but not especially quick-witted, he's certainly not a news reporter. Maybe because he's game for anything? That's a good quality, for sure, but to me that says "more of the same", rather than "reformatted".

I am really tired of seeing the hosts play dress up, compete in karaoke/dance/game show contests, and "act" in Oscar movie take-offs. I feel bad for George, an actual hard news man, when they trot out the nonsense. There's a way to incorporate fun in the show without having the same people we're supposed to trust with breaking news stories also act like idiots. Hopefully that's the kind of reformatting they're talking about -- presenting lighter stories with a modicum of dignity for the hosts.

• Love 3

I think Lara and Kelly both have a right to be pissed.  If the rumors are true that ABC is looking to expand GMA to three hours, with Strahan no doubt at the helm, and pushing Live out of their timeslot where it's aired on ABC affiliates, I'd be angry and worried too.

Not surprised Lara is angry, if the story is true.  It's seemed like GMA has been slowly pushing her out for awhile now, so she can't be that shocked.  I don't watch GMA every day, but when was the last time she filled in for Robin?  It seemed like she did that quite a bit after she was named co-host a couple of years ago.

• Love 1

I've always liked Michael and I'm glad for him if he has chosen to be with GMA. I am not a fan of Kelly's but I understand her being upset about not knowing about Michaels announcement. At this point she needs to get over it though. She gets a big paycheck and life goes on. 

As far as Lara goes......I can't stand her fake giggling, and playing "cutesy" all the time. I can't stand the way she stands with her  legs wrapped around each other in that weird way she does! I think I've made it clear that I don't like her so the less I see of her, the better. Oh, and she can take Amy with her. :)

I continue to be surprised by tv personalities surprised by network moves. I get the initial shock and I understand feeling blindsided but isn't that just part of the biz? Haven't these personalities seen it happen to others? Again and again?

I would think that their agents would (should) be constantly jockeying for position. Ears to the ground! Didn't Leno hide in a closet to overhear Tonight Show convos?

Nobody is safe.

I hadn't heard the Lara issue. She should have been even more on the alert. But then I don't much like her. Nor Kelly.

And I don't think Michael is enough to make me change viewing habits.

I like Amy, because she's got the chops for hard news.  Lara taking over as main anchor?  I can't imagine it.  She's an entertainment/gossip reporter!  I absolutely cannot see how someone like George, or Lester Holt, or Matt Lauer wanting to sit next to her in the anchor chairs. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LisainCali said:

I like Amy, because she's got the chops for hard news.  Lara taking over as main anchor?  I can't imagine it.  She's an entertainment/gossip reporter!  I absolutely cannot see how someone like George, or Lester Holt, or Matt Lauer wanting to sit next to her in the anchor chairs. 

Maybe GMA sees it that way too,  Lara and Amy used to rotate filling in for Robin. The last couple of months it's only been Amy

I actually long for the quieter days of the early GMA.  All the yelling, screaming, hawking of products - that nonsense would have taken a backseat under David Hartman.  The whole early morning genre is just trash TV now - better suited for TMZ.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, b2H said:

I actually long for the quieter days of the early GMA.  All the yelling, screaming, hawking of products - that nonsense would have taken a backseat under David Hartman.  The whole early morning genre is just trash TV now - better suited for TMZ.

I agree except for CBS This Morning. They are not as entertainment driven like the others.

• Love 1
(edited)

Strahan as main anchor?  Ugh.  But GMA is a two hour long episode of Live! mixed with Entertainment Tonight now, so anything can happen.

It's hilarious to me that GMA, and to a lesser extent Today, continue to double down on the infotainment bullshit while they keep on losing viewers.  GMA's loss is CBS's, and cable's, gain.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 3

No Strahan this morning in NY while Robin and George are in Cleveland for the RNC. Who was the guy with the beard as the co-host with Lara this morning?

Just read that John Edwards' mistress, Rielle Hunter, will be on GMA along with the daughter she had with him.  I will be watching the "Today" show instead.  Will not spend one moment on watching that woman.