Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: The Past Is Parent

Athena

When Holmes faces criminal charges in the aftermath of his recent violent behavior and relapse, his powerful father arrives in New York to fix his estranged son’s legal difficulties by any means necessary. Also, with Holmes and Watson’s consultancy with the NYPD in jeopardy, Holmes concentrates on the case of a missing wife believed to have been killed by her husband to try and get back in the department’s good graces.

CBS has run a few entertaining brief ads for the show leading up to tonight, but I as far as I have seen they haven't run the one above.   I wish they had, I realize it's long and probably showing clips from several episodes but it really draws you in.

• Love 1

Thought this was a good season opener.  It took the time to reaffirm the friendships and establish the current situation, and even brought back Tim Guinee for a moment.

The final scene was a good one.  Sharp, biting, and oddly reserved - just what I was hoping for.

The adjustment to John Noble's accent stands out to me more than I expected.

I hope Bell and the captain do continue to be a part of things.

• Love 5

I would have to think that Holmes and Watson will end up back with the NYPD sooner rather than later, they won't write out Gregson and Bell - and the Brownstone (and Clyde!).

This was a good opener that had a lot of twists (I guess it was good that there apparently wasn't any preview that gave away much of the plot) and while I'm not so quick at these things I thought it was good that I didn't guess the guilty party until almost the final reveal. Nice little scenes by the way with Gregson showing his concern to both Watson and Holmes, and Bell offering his sympathies to Joan at the elevator.

Joan indirectly telling off Holmes senior was good to see. I thought we would not see the rooftop meetup this week but it made an effective ending.

The cold open had me a little concerned, but the phones helped. And the ladies' wishes for more fun pursuits!

Still, my show is back and not stoppin' for lollygaggers.

The interception outside the meeting was not something I was expecting, nor the not-quite-deadness of junkie asshole from the finale.

I did love how Holmes was looking out for Joan and where she should be thriving if he was put in prison. It's a friend thing to think about. I am glad that he gave Joan a chance to disabuse him of some of the ideas he had of her/their partnership. Joan had to tell him plainly that they were a team, period.  Joan is ride or die now, she's all in.  

Good to hear that Alfredo is doing better and it warmed my heart that Gregson "happened to be in the neighborhood". Bell was Bell and I hope we see him-- at a party at the Brownstone!

When I saw the guest cast I was hoping it wasn't going to be a Obvious Guest Star Syndrome case, but the case was interesting anyway. I was disappointed that Watson didn't catch that the teens were the women she and Sherlock were looking for.  If that's my only real disappointment, then it was a strong return, imo.

The final scene and the preview have me excited, but cautiously so.

• Love 1

You know what's the best thing about not reading any spoilers nor the credits? Finding out John Noble's playing papa Holmes right as he turns around, that's what!

Didn't even recognized his voice. Love it.

Anyway, casting David Zayas kinda pointed me in his direction, mostly ´cause I didn't think they would just get him to chat with Lucy Liu for 35 seconds. TV shows should cast total strangers for those parts if they want their audience to go along with the mystery for a while longer.

I liked how when Watson descends upon Mr. Holmes' employee, she didn't even bothered to answer his inquiry as to how she found him. The audience doesn't care to know the how either; we are aware of her skills by now.

Holmes and Watson's friendship and interactions are usually the highlights of the series for me, so I'm glad to finally have them back.

• Love 5
Holmes and Watson's friendship and interactions are usually the highlights of the series for me, so I'm glad to finally have them back.

Totally agree, I loved the way they played the scene in which Sherlock tries to provide for Watson, but she tells him she is going where he's going, and his look of surprise that she won't be a police consultant without him.  Their relationship is the best part of the show for me as well.

• Love 7

Ah, Elementary.  I love you, but out of all the procedurals I watch, you tend to be the biggest offender when it comes to the recognizable face being the killer.  As soon as I saw David Zayas as some mere restaurant owner, I knew he would end up being the killer.  Obvious, what he did was bad, but still not quite the bodycount he left over on Gotham, before he departed that show.

Figured they were going to wait and bring Papa Holmes in for the final scene.  So far, so good.  I felt like John Noble wisely underplayed the scene, and didn't go into scenery-chewing territory, that can be a hinderance at times (looking at Sleepy Hollow.)  But I thought he was able to show how rigid, blunt, and harsh Papa Holmes is, in his own scene, and didn't go overboard.  Hope he keeps this approach.

Not surprised that Sherlock and Joan are both booted from the NYPD, but I'm sure Gregson and Bell will still show up, since both Aidan Quinn and Jon Michael Hill are still listed as regulars.  Also, that scene with Bell and Joan at the elevator really came off like the show is going to try something with them.  Bell especially, looked like he really was showing other feelings for her, that wasn't just the loss of a co-worker/friend.

Liked that they did mention Alfredo.  Hopefully, he'll show up for a future episode.

As usual, the case itself was by the numbers, but Sherlock and Joan's interactions separate it from the pack.  I just love these two characters and how deep and fully-layered their relationship is.

Hope we check in on Clyde!  Just keep him away from Papa Holmes!  I don't trust him to be around our precious turtle!

• Love 4

Yes, me too. I didn't feel the friendship so much last season, I'm glad the first episode brought it back, & I hope it stays.

• Love 3

Ok ep. I binged watched all previous eps going into this (there has been little to watch this fall), and I thought last season's finale left way too much that was sort of supposedly shown basically not definitively related. (Dear Showrunners, if viewers need to read an interview to figure out what they just watched, you are doing it WRONG.) Unlike some viewers, I didn't mind that there wasn't a mini-arc like with Moriarity or Mycroft (Alfredo usage seemed sufficient), but it still didn't work for me because of the ambiguity. Ambiguity is not the same as a cliffhanger, and to me it felt poorly narrated or framed. If it's presented differently, then it becomes a cliffhanger ("will he use?" "did he kill him?" for the love of mike, and NOT "who will they cast as papa holmes?"), and while I'm not a fan of cliffhangers, I find them more palatable than unclear writing. But this episode was an improvement. A little expositiony, but it wrapped up some loose ends, and I was truly happy to see it return.

Noble didn't ruin it for me, which was a relief. (He sort of ate the last season of Sleepy Hollow for me, and I didn't need to see him again any time soon. (Yes the writing was horrid, but he didn't help matters any with the egregious scene chewing. YMMV)) Of the long list of actors suggested here and elsewhere for the Papa Holmes role, he literally would have been my last pick. But he was ok, and I'm trying hard to only see what's there now, and not the ghosts of characters past.

Liked the showing of support, with Bell and Gregson, and especially Joan. Greatly appreciated the Alfredo update, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that his recovery will continue smoothly. (This show does an amazing job with these random characters they populate their world with. Love that. Probably my favorite example of it currently on air. It's amazing how much they do with how little actual screen time, in part because they reference the characters off screen. Alfredo, the M.E., Mrs. H, Harlan, Alistair, Lestrade, Mason, even Dean McNally. Although the same holds true for world building with characters like Bloom and the MI6ers. Please keep all of that up.)

My Spanish is so poor it's destitute, so I thought the bar/restaurant was called "New Life," but that worked, too. I actually thought the owner's guilt was telegraphed when he described the guy from the photos as "good looking," which men tend to make a great showing of neither noticing nor being able to judge, and the more stereotypically "macho" subsets of "maleness" even more so. But that also worked, and puts the script in a better light than casting choices do. (Not harshing on the actor, whom I like, but on his "recognizablity" ruining the twist.)

Edit: Also, in light of one of our mods, can I just say - Athena & Minerva. Again! And: Hee!

Edited by krimimimi
  • Love 4

They are back! As others said, I knew who the killer was once I saw David Zayas. But since I like him, I was ok with it. (He needs to work too).

I liked how they handled the drug use, very matter of fact.  In additon, I liked that the consequences involved Waston too because I like a truely remorseful Holmes and that usually only happens with Watson.

On a shallow note, I really liked Joan's outfits.  Even all the "interesting" ties.

• Love 3

I was spoiled about Noble accidentally. I try not to read spoiler articles, but headlines are just as bad on some sites. It was a nicely done reveal shot, and I wished I hadn't known, As much as I love him (even though his character sucked in Sleepy Hollow - but I blame the writers for that since the character was pretty good at first), I was hoping for someone with a little lower profile in the US. 

I really enjoyed the show - and of all the fall procedural premieres I've seen, it's the one that hit the marks the best for me. 

David Zayas' character on Dexter was the only one I liked, so I was happy to see him even though he was obviously the killer. 

Best moment of the show -- "What's the hardest you've ever been hit?"  I could almost see him wince.

That actor was fantastic. He went from cocky and condescending to terrified in a matter of seconds. Hope they keep him around for Watson to torment.

Greatly appreciated the Alfredo update, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that his recovery will continue smoothly.

While I appreciated the mention, this baffled me a little - was Alfredo suffering from anything other than dehydration. PTSD, I guess?

(This show does an amazing job with these random characters they populate their world with. Love that. Probably my favorite example of it currently on air. It's amazing how much they do with how little actual screen time, in part because they reference the characters off screen. Alfredo, the M.E., Mrs. H [bolding mine], Harlan, Alistair, Lestrade, Mason, even Dean McNally.

Ahem. that's Miss Hudson ;) 

I totally agree with you. There was a great little throwaway line from Sherlock as he and Watson were in the waiting room at the prison. When Watson said she wouldn't be writing Holmes in prison, he responded that he would have other correspondents: "C, Moriority..."

"C" (played by Jane Alexander) was Holmes' partner in erotic letter-writing. We met her in Dead Clade Walking in one short but beautiful scene, during which Holmes met her in person for the first time. Two excellent actors playing brilliantly off each other, Alexander's near girlishness to Holmes' courtly and gentlemanly manner. I think I may have go watch that now.

• Love 6

Anyway, casting David Zayas kinda pointed me in his direction, mostly ´cause I didn't think they would just get him to chat with Lucy Liu for 35 seconds. TV shows should cast total strangers for those parts if they want their audience to go along with the mystery for a while longer.

I have never heard of David Zayas before and I still pegged his character as the perp.

I am so glad this show is back!

• Love 2

That actor was fantastic. He went from cocky and condescending to terrified in a matter of seconds. Hope they keep him around for Watson to torment.

The way the guy's face crumpled was excellent. Brief but memorable appearance. He is welcome back. They really have a lot of good people here.

While I appreciated the mention, this baffled me a little - was Alfredo suffering from anything other than dehydration. PTSD, I guess?

As to Alfredo, that's exactly the problem I had with the finale - as with so much else, it really wasn't clear what was wrong with him. I was seriously concerned that Oscar had given him drugs, and Alfredo had worked so hard and was so proud of his sobriety. Or that he'd been left in the hotbox so long without water that he wasn't going to make it, but perversely the drugs would have saddened me more.

Ahem. that's Miss Hudson ;)

Actually, pretty sure it's Ms. Hudson as is fitting and proper for a modern lady, but I conflated it with the original and Sherlock's, so there we are.

I totally agree with you. There was a great little throwaway line from Sherlock as he and Watson were in the waiting room at the prison. When Watson said she wouldn't be writing Holmes in prison, he responded that he would have other correspondents: "C, Moriority..."

"C" (played by Jane Alexander) was Holmes' partner in erotic letter-writing. We met her in Dead Clade Walking in one short but beautiful scene, during which Holmes met her in person for the first time. Two excellent actors playing brilliantly off each other, Alexander's near girlishness to Holmes' courtly and gentlemanly manner. I think I may have go watch that now.

That scene was marvelous, and a great example of what I mean - just a few minutes on screen, and yet I know exactly who you mean. I may have forgotten her name, but not the character.
  • Love 3

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't Noble play the Steward in LOTR who tried to burn his younger son alive because he loved the ender better?

Oh, yes, Denethor II, having lost his mind and believing his younger son to be dead, wanted to set both of them on fire. Faramir was saved in the last second, and Denethor jumped to a fiery death, as he should have after telling Faramir he wished he had died instead of his older son Boromir, a couple of days before. The bar is pretty low here for papa Holmes to make a better impression. Although I doubt we'll be seeing him cooking breakfast in the nude in Sherlock's brownstone like Walter Bishop would have.

A nitpick: at first the name Novena Vida didn't mean anything to me; later I realized it was tied to the "Cat" nickname, because a cat has nine lives, etc. Except in most spanish speaking countries, we say cats have seven lives, and so would the coyote probably.  I wonder if it was on purpose for an american audience, or the writers didn't realize.

And now that I think about it, it was kinda stupid from the coyote to name his restaurant with a name that alludes to his past activities.

Also, the way the missing women found him, through a video of him subduing a man trying to rob him, it reminded me of Viggo Mortenssen's movie "A History of Violence", I mean it was the same: Viggo's character thwarts a violent robbery in his dinner, in a little town, and the media coverage alerts his former "coworkers" as to his new life.

Oh, some other moments I liked: Joan finding out Sherlock still corresponds with Moriarty, and I think she didn't agree with that. And all the weird shit they had at the station that Joan brought home: of course Sherlock had been looking for the dead squirrell lol.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 1
Also, the way the missing women found him, through a video of him subduing a man trying to rob him, it reminded me of Viggo Mortenssen's movie "A History of Violence", I mean it was the same: Viggo's character thwarts a violent robbery in his dinner, in a little town, and the media coverage alerts his former "coworkers" as to his new life.

The episode reminds me a little of the canon ACD story The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge, which has a ruthless Central American tyrant, known as the Tiger (El Gato?) of San Pedro, who escapes to England. A woman whose husband was killed by the Tiger infiltrates his household in order to gain revenge, and is nearly killed by him once discovered - or maybe I'm reaching here.

Oh, some other moments I liked: Joan finding out Sherlock still corresponds with Moriarty, and I think she didn't agree with that.

Indeed, near the end, when Sherlock tells Watson he is not going to prison, Joan says something along the lines of "Great. Now let's talk about the women you are not going to correspond with" (though I don't know why she would have a problem with "C").

And all the weird shit they had at the station that Joan brought home: of course Sherlock had been looking for the dead squirrell.

Again, I could be mistaken, but I think the squirrel actually was featured in an earlier episode.

• Love 1

I liked this episode. I still haven't watched the finale from last season, so while appreciated some of the exposition, I still found it to be a bit much. 

I loved the line from Watson "What's the hardest you've ever been hit?", a great way to shut down that gross chatter about heroin addicts. Plus the line was perfectly delivered and received by the actors in the scene. 

Indeed, near the end, when Sherlock tells Watson he is not going to prison, Joan says something along the lines of "Great. Now let's talk about the women you are not going to correspond with" (though I don't know why she would have a problem with "C").

I didn't take that line to mean she's telling him to stop corresponding with them, but more about the fact that he still is and isn't even in prison. 

"I didn't take that line to mean she's telling him to stop corresponding with them, but more about the fact that he still is and isn't even in prison."

I'm sorry, can you clarify what you mean by that? I'm not following.

Btw, I discovered that the dead squirrel was in Tremors. Sherlock was trying to distract himself by weighing Clyde's weight against various objects. One was a manuscript. Another was a dead squirrel.

I loved the line from Watson "What's the hardest you've ever been hit?", a great way to shut down that gross chatter about heroin addicts. Plus the line was perfectly delivered and received by the actors in the scene.

That was a terrific scene. It reminded me of Watson's "dinner" with Moriarty, in which Watson wipes the floor with her without moving a muscle. Lucy Liu kicks all kinds of butt. Not to mention being incredibly gorgeous with fantastic clothes. I definitely have a girl-crush on her.

I also love the scene where she explains to Sherlock that she isn't leaving him. It was an incredible expression of love. Not romantic love, but something much deeper. It was a very Naomi and Ruth moment. "Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God." 

• Love 5

I had been dreading John Noble. I know he's a fan favorite, but I experienced Walter fatigue in Fringe, and then, well, we all know what happened with Sleepy Hollow (or if you don't, be glad). I was somewhat relieved that he seems to be using a completely different set of tools for this character.

(Interesting side note--I believe one can hear his REAL accent in his few recurring episodes on The Good Wife.)

• Love 2

I don't think John Noble's face is naturally that squinty, but his natural expression so mirrored Johnny Lee Miller's that I started grinning as soon as I saw it. I immediately bought them as father and son.

• Love 5

A promising start to the season. Loved the fakeout of the opening scene, and that the girls didn't find re enacting a crime scene that strange a request coming from Sherlock. I was also glad they mentioned how Alfredo's doing, though hopefully we'll actually get to see him soon. They better not skimp on Gregson and Bell until Our Duo (inevitably) get back to consulting with the NYPD again.

Guest Star Rule immediately pointed to David Zayas as the murderer. After he killed that eisbeaver on Grimm and all those people on Gotham, I knew there was no way he'd just be a simple restauranteur here.

I wasn't sure what to expect from John Noble as Daddy Holmes, but I was impressed with the little bit we got. His accent, his bearing and posture, and of course the attitude all really sold it for me - I can see how he and Sherlock would've clashed for many years. Hopefully Daddy Holmes won't beat out Denethor for Worst Father of the Year anytime soon - the bar is pretty high (or should I say low) but I wouldn't count him out.

Really love the genuine affection they've built between Joan and Sherlock - their conversation in the kitchen was magnificent. Take note, other shows, this is how you do a meaningful platonic friendship. So glad this show is back!

• Love 1

Loved the banter between Holmes and his Dad. The blood of the virgins you bathe in, priceless. I am so happy this show is back.

I am not always a fan of the outfits they have Lucy in, but I seriously want the one she was wearing when she threatened the British lackey. Loved the pants and the interesting little tie.

Hope we get to see Clyde soon, maybe helping out on a case ☺

Edited by Texasmom1970
Count me in as both knowing who the bad guy was immediately and being thrilled John Noble knows how to rein it in if he wants to. I was totally impressed.

This leads me to believe that on the other shows, he was directed to be that way.

I knew who the bad guy was as well, but didn't (consciously, at least) know the actor. The giveaway for me was his description of the killer. I also agree with you about Noble. Actors, most of the time, are only doing what the directors tell them to do. I look forward to seeing more of Papa Holmes. I suspect he will be instrumental in restoring Holmes and Watson back into the good graces of the NYPD, if only because it will be good for Sherlock's health.

Actually, pretty sure it's Ms. Hudson as is fitting and proper for a modern lady, but I conflated it with the original and Sherlock's, so there we are.

Just checked - it is indeed Miss Hudson.

Thanks for that, I've been trying to remember where it [the dead squirrel] was used.

You're welcome. That may not have been the only place the ex-squirrel appeared - after all, Joan said it was a long story, but given that she was talking to Bell, she may not have wanted to get into the fact that Sherlock weighed the squirrel against Clyde, amongst other things, to distract himself from the fallout after Bell was shot by a man aiming for Sherlock.

• Love 2

I am still bitter at certain shows who shall remain nameless *cough* Sleepy Hallow *cough* who do not know how to correctly use your John Noble. Here is hoping that these writers know better than to waste John Noble on some bullshit family drama. I hope they use him for some actual interesting family drama. 

• Love 1

When Watson said she wouldn't be writing Holmes in prison, he responded that he would have other correspondents: "C, Moriority..."

And Jane, clearly referring to Moriarty, says something like "You still do that???" LOL

Is it just me who was like "Seriously? You are complaining there isn't enough sex? This looks a lot more fun... also, possibly sexy times will happen after that?". On the other hand... being in those positions for several hours... maybe it'd become kind of boring.

This business about how nobody wants to hire them is stupid or worse, boring. Holmes was always a private consulting detective. How about he becomes a private consulting detective? Watson was building up her own clients anyway. Putting aside the obvious, who wants to lay odds (100% say) that there will be some diabolical killer who baffles the NYPD and they will come crawling back for their help? Not for nothing but I thought they worked for free for the NYPD and Holmes paid Watson out of his trust fund?

That was a terrific scene. It reminded me of Watson's "dinner" with Moriarty, in which Watson wipes the floor with her without moving a muscle. Lucy Liu kicks all kinds of butt. Not to mention being incredibly gorgeous with fantastic clothes. I definitely have a girl-crush on her.

I also love the scene where she explains to Sherlock that she isn't leaving him. It was an incredible expression of love. Not romantic love, but something much deeper. It was a very Naomi and Ruth moment. "Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God." 

I 100% covet her short-sleeved white shirt/black cravatty - wide black trousers outfit.

Edited by fastiller

Decent opener, glad they are back. The New Yorker in me noted the restaurant scene in "New Jersey" was not in fact in New Jersey. It was in very upper Manhattan, with a view of NJ across the Hudson River.