Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: A Competitive Edge

• Start Topic

I don't blame Brandon for this. If Burke wasn't a little wuss over that joke, NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!!

Also Andrea with the cafeteria story...god damn. I mean she looks the part but still. I love how everyone knows that Andrea loves Brandon and he's like ehhhh.

If only Brandon stayed an athlete I've would have been cool with it. Would have been better than several episodes to follow. Brandon should have been an athlete, I don't care how tall he is. It beats the god damn Blaze. I guess Andrea wouldn't let him quit properly like later on. 

Buy your own car, Brenda. Also way to be secretive Burke and Steve. 

I guess douchetastic Brandon because I saw Priestley as Richard Fitzpatrick first before watching 90210, so yeah I like douchetastic Brandon and this podcast is making me like him more and more. 

Ah I wish I could post a picture! There is a guy behind Steve when the coach is talking to the team who looks like he's 40. Bushy eyebrows (almost a unibrow), and full mustache. I can't recall many high schoolers with full mustaches.

Sarah D. Bunting: the "drop the book behind him so he whips his head around" DID happen, but it happened on the Brady Bunch. They were in court with a guy who was suing them, wearing the comically large neck collar, when Mike stood up, threw a huge book on the floor behind the guy, and he whips around, thus proving his injury is fake and exonerating Carol Brady.

ETA: Oh, excuse me, it wasn't a book, it was a briefcase.

Edited by Hollyhox
  • Love 3

Two episodes ago it was Christmas and now it is spring track season? I love that when Brandon is lamenting the fact that he wanted to be one of the guys, and not a reporter, Ohhn-drea chimes in that she knows how that is re: cafeteria expose. What? She wanted to be friends with the lunch ladies? I mean, they are are of the same age ...

• Love 2

Ok, so my stream of consciousness thought process when I heard the "Surrender Dorothyyyy!" reference was something like,

That's what the Wicked Witch of the West smoke signaled in the sky in Wizard of Oz with her broom --> witches flying on brooms --> like a bat out of hell --> Brenda's driving?!?!

• Love 1

You mean besides Hilary Swank?

And Jessica Alba and Seth Green had a good career as well. I guess who can say Bond Girl Denise Richards...

I think the reason for Brenda's driving is that she failed 3 times. I knew a guy who failed their licence test 3 times in one day. 

So as someone who is apparently older than Cindy Walsh (that has really stuck with me) I seem to recall that in the late 80's/early 90's that "Surrender Dorothy" became a thing. You could get it written on t-shirts, mugs, and all sorts of things. It was like a pre-internet meme.

• Love 1

Surrender Dorothy may also have been a Darren Star thing? So minor tangent/backstory he's from Potomac Maryland, and there's this huge Mormon Temple near there, everyone in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area refers to it as Oz or the Emerald City, and there's tons of graffiti in the area (though maybe not anymore) that says "Surrender Dorothy" here's a picture from a Washington Post article (not really an article) about it... I mean it could have nothing to do with anything but it's what popped into my head when I heard it.

VG20rty.jpg

• Love 2

I always thought it was a gay reference, but I don't know why. Maybe the "friend of Dorothy" thing. There was a Law & Order mothership episode called "Surrender Dorothy," about a shrink who drove his daughter to kill herself (or something like that). But I'm pretty sure it came out way after this episode. 

Isn't Surrender Dorothy a reference from the Wizard of Oz, when Judy Garland and the gang are in the Emerald City and sees the Wicked Witch on her broom skywrite the phrase "Surrender Dorothy" to the munchkins? I mean, that's what I saw on some Wizard of Oz doc. Given that, my take would be that it's not a sexual allusion, a la "Friend of Dorothy," but one that indicates someone is defeating a witch? Maybe?

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
On 11/8/2015 at 10:20 PM, Lisin said:

Surrender Dorothy may also have been a Darren Star thing? So minor tangent/backstory he's from Potomac Maryland, and there's this huge Mormon Temple near there, everyone in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area refers to it as Oz or the Emerald City, and there's tons of graffiti in the area (though maybe not anymore) that says "Surrender Dorothy" here's a picture from a Washington Post article (not really an article) about it... I mean it could have nothing to do with anything but it's what popped into my head when I heard it.

VG20rty.jpg

Oh my God, I totally know that Temple--I'm from Northern Virginia and this is on the North/Northwestern section of the beltway. And yes, I've seen the "Surrender Dorothy" graffiti. Good detecting, OP!

The B plot kind of pisses me off because you know what? Who has been responsible for wrecking the car because he drove drunk? BRANDON. This whole storyline is one shitty WoMeN cAn'T dRiVe fucking trope and FUCK YOU. It wasn't Brenda who drove drunk and trashed Mondale.