Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Haunted

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I LOL’d when Thea mistook Chappaquiddick for Quidditch.  Given her age, it’s completely understandable how she didn’t get that reference.  I never realized how Oliver’s own situation with Sara bore a certain resemblance for Ted Kennedy’s own scandal. 

Very good episode.  Definitely enjoyed the crossover with Constantine, who was a fun addition to this episode.  His interaction with Oliver was good.  I would have loved to have seen more of the character in the present time though.

Laurel, you’re still a complete idiot.

Laure’s beatdown of Thea was a pretty awesome sequence.

Lance and Diggle was a fun team-up, one we haven’t seen all that much on the show.  I like that Lance told him the truth Andrew…he’s not like his daughter.  Another great line was him telling Oliver that “At least (Laurel) is consistent.  She lied to me about her death, she lied to you about her resurrection. 

Yet another funny line was Dhark asking Lance “What, you want a cupcake?”  NM was really funny tonight and I enjoyed Dhark’s scenes with Lance.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Anybody else underwhelmed by John Constantine? I can see how his series didn't last so long. I might be fatigued on Hunter from Agents of SHIELD and not know it, but I don't think this universe needs a magician who's nowhere near as cool as his comic canon counterpart.

Shut up, Laurel. Couldn't she be the one to shuffle to Legends of Tomorrow? Can't wait for Sara to ask for the jacket back. What . . . a fan can dream, right?

I thought it was super obvious that both of Sara's "targets" vaguely resembled Thea.

• Love 1

I also assumed some significant time passed between the soul restoration and the final scenes but I would have liked to see them taking turns by her bedside.  I'm just going to assume she needs a whole LOT of sleep for now.

She slept for an entire year. I would think she'd need to catch up on being awake. I wouldn't want Sara lying on bed. She's a BAMF, she should be on her feet wondering why she's alive and what she missed and trying to fight the urge to kill Thea. 

• Love 1

I actually liked this episode, of course Constantine played a huge part in it. My brother never reads spoilers loved the show except for Laurel.  He has liked her from the beginning but after what she did to Sara he said he was done with her. Said that if this was supposed to be her redemption the writers failed spectacularly. He actually yelled at the screen and kept saying Laurel was an idiot. He also said she should be the one in the grave. It was always me, me, me and had no compassion for Sara whatsoever. Also thought it was funny that Sara was doing all her on stunts but Laurel wasn't doing anything except for face shots. It really was way to obvious.

• Love 12

She slept for an entire year. I would think she'd need to catch up on being awake. I wouldn't want Sara lying on bed. She's a BAMF, she should be on her feet wondering why she's alive and what she missed and trying to fight the urge to kill Thea. 

Yea but come on - that would have to be after the valium wears off.  You know Laurel and Thea have some and you know they shared. :)

• Love 1

John Constantine was very enjoyable!  Too bad I didn't watch his show.  I do hope he comes back more often.

I'm surprised Daddy Lance told Diggle that he's involved with HIVE so soon.  I was sure they'd draw it out for several more episodes.

Oliver's campaign manager looked familiar?  Could someone fill me in?  Was he on Mad Men?

So, now that Sara's back, does this mean there will be two Black Canaries?  Will there be a "Black Canary-off"?

And Obstacle, I mean Ray is still alive.  We all knew he would be, but I'm pretty sure Felicity would love to punch him right now when a lot of things have been going right for her. 

The clones or drones or whatever have a surprising amount of personality.  (1) hot guy tried to talk DD out of magicking him; (2) less-hot guy tried to get out of being magicked with [totally valid] excuses; and (3) possible Andy Diggle guy didn't kill Digg (how'd Andy recognize Digg with Digg's helmet of identity concealment?).

• Love 2

Oliver's campaign manager looked familiar?  Could someone fill me in?  Was he on Mad Men?

Oliver's campaign manager is played by Parker Young. He did have a one episode role in Mad Men, but he's most known for his roles on Suburgatory, Enlisted (still RIP) and apparently, he was on an episode of Fresh Off The Boat. 

You know what's funny? Oliver actually ended up saving the day this time. If it wasn't for him, Sara would still be feral and trying to kill Thea, which means either Sara would have to be killed, or Thea would be killed. Either way, it was Oliver who saved everyone and he doesn't even get much of a thank you. I hope we get an Oliver/Sara scene soon. 

• Love 18

Oliver's campaign manager looked familiar?  Could someone fill me in?

He was cute but dumb boy across the street in Suberbia.  That's where I know him from. 

I did like Felicity talking over the PA. "THIS IS YOUR OVERLORD, FELICITY SMOAK."

"We have a PA system?"

"Another decision I might live to regret."

LOL.

I'm good if Felicity's code name is Overlord. 

• Love 11

I LOL’d when Thea mistook Chappaquiddick for Quidditch.  Given her age, it’s completely understandable how she didn’t get that reference.  I never realized how Oliver’s own situation with Sara bore a certain resemblance for Ted Kennedy’s own scandal. 

Very good episode.  Definitely enjoyed the crossover with Constantine, who was a fun addition to this episode.  His interaction with Oliver was good.  I would have loved to have seen more of the character in the present time though.

Laurel, you’re still a complete idiot.

Lance and Diggle was a fun team-up, one we haven’t seen all that much on the show.  I like that Lance told him the truth Andrew…he’s not like his daughter.  Another great line was him telling Oliver that “At least (Laurel) is consistent.  She lied to me about her death, she lied to you about her resurrection. 

Yet another funny line was Dhark asking Lance “What, you want a cupcake?”  NM was really funny tonight and I enjoyed Dhark’s scenes with Lance.

I still think it was disrespectful for the writers to make a joke out of Chappaquiddick. I get that Thea might not get the reference, but for me it was just cheap writing at the expense of real life tragedy. There was another way to address OQ's Lance sex history drama. Beyond the tragic drowning, there is not many other similarities between the Gambit & Chappaquiddick. But like I said, I'm more sensitive having grown up in Kennedy Country. It was not as bad as I thought it would be, but I still was disappointed with the writer's choice to incorporate it at all.

But i agree with rest of your post. :)

I really loved DD this episode. He had the right amount of sarcasm. It really is enjoyable to watch him in his scenes. I also think PB & NM have a good chemistry.

I was impressed by how much I loved QL & Dig going into the field together. It was more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

• Love 3

Okay, HOW did Sara get into Thea's room? I refuse to believe that Laurel was so distracted by staring at the floor that she was able to sneak in. Did Sara hitch a ride on the meal cart or something? I don't understand. If she's not jumping through a window, I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THIS SARA TRAVELS.

• Love 15
I still think it was disrespectful for the writers to make a joke out of Chappaquiddick. I get that Thea might not get the reference, but for me it was just cheap writing at the expense of real life tragedy.

Got to side with the writers on this one.  It was 46 years ago.  Sure, there were real people but it was the most passing of passing references.  Only the name of the town was mocked, no individual was made a joke of.  No one was singled out negatively.  It was just a factual mention used to bring up Oliver's scandal.  I didn't find anything disrespectful.

• Love 6

I'm sorry but I couldn't help but think how much more fun it would have been if the Winchesters had been doing Sara's re-ensouling.  Dean would have read Laurel the riot act in no small way.  Sam would have Latinated much more beautifully. 

And then Oliver, Sam and Dean could have had a salmon ladder off and Felicity's head would have exploded from all the hot.

• Love 14

I am so meh about this episode.  The flashbacks were interesting for once but only because they took a pause and went a completely different direction for a while.  If Oliver doesn't suffer more consequences than dude in charge defending him after them finding proof SOMEONE infiltrated the island recently I will ....shrug my shoulders and roll my eyes.  The storyline so far isn't worth the effort of being upset.

Laurel was so much worse than I expected.  Thea too.  I was disappointed that she wouldn't take Oliver's call because she wasn't going to take the judgment.  Clearly someone is a bad influence.

Laurel's ME ME ME in the hallways was just mind boggling bad.  You want me to feel sorry for you for what YOU DID????  After Nyssa warned you?  After you for a WEEK hid that Sara was out their KILLING people?  Oh, but it's time that Oliver start thinking about her?  Oliver has spent WAY too much time over the course of the show thinking about Laurel.  She's never going to get it, will she?   

I had the same reaction you did about LL. But for me I thought it was a solid episode, if you just sidestep LL's involvement which is basically what the writers do. I'm beginning to glaze over myself when I see LL on the screen. Apparently the blank stare is contagious :)

I thought the Flashbacks were great. Loved the bonding moments between the Queen siblings. Enjoyed QL & Dig on a mission. Constantine blended better into the lair & TA than some people who have been on the show for 4 seasons. When you have to write an entire episode to repair a relationship and a character, and the most I can takeaway from the episode is if you ignore her the show works - I'm not sure what type of success that is. I was able to watch and entire episode without raging at her, but then again if you removed her from the episode I'm not sure I would have noticed anything missing. Didn't see much of her improved friendship with OQ, I just saw OQ finally giving in to her constant presence. Sometimes its easier to just not fight the crazy.

Twitter has been entertaining.

YahooTV shaded Laurel on twitter and I think KC thought it was a compliment...

Do you have a link?

• Love 1

You know what's funny? Oliver actually ended up saving the day this time. If it wasn't for him, Sara would still be feral and trying to kill Thea, which means either Sara would have to be killed, or Thea would be killed. Either way, it was Oliver who saved everyone and he doesn't even get much of a thank you. I hope we get an Oliver/Sara scene soon.

I have to disagree. Not because Laurel isn't sometimes awful. But she did thank Oliver. At the end of the episode. In fact these two had more growth in this episode than they have had in three seasons. I don't like how everything happened but Oliver and Laurel worked for me ( not romantically!!). They addressed some issues that had been swept away and I'm not complaining about that.

• Love 1

I loved it and yes Thea, he is a specific kind of yummy.  Oh if I can't have Roy back, can I please have a Constantine and Speedy ship??!!?!?  Pretty please.  I won't bitch about Laurel.  Please????

Ok - to me - Laurel came off really badly when she did the whole "did you ever consider what I'm going through" thing - but other than THAT - I think it was her best episode of the season.

Resisting the urge to come up with a ship name.. I can resist it.. I totally can!

Nope! off to put my ship names hat on..

umm let's see.... WickedSpeedy? HellblazerSpeedy? HellSpeedy? SpeedyBlaze? 

As for the episode: I didn't rewatch it.. cause I can only stomach The Laurel - but - what- about - me Lance stupidity show once a week.

Next week looks good though!

• Love 3

Got to side with the writers on this one.  It was 46 years ago.  Sure, there were real people but it was the most passing of passing references.  Only the name of the town was mocked, no individual was made a joke of.  No one was singled out negatively.  It was just a factual mention used to bring up Oliver's scandal.  I didn't find anything disrespectful

I just thought it wasn't a classy move. But we are all free to have our opinions. :) I just prefer to keep references to real life tragedies out of fake shows when they don't add anything to the actual script. To me it was the writers trying to prove they had political street cred. It was unnecessary, but it is what it is.

• Love 1

I have to disagree. Not because Laurel isn't sometimes awful. But she did thank Oliver. At the end of the episode. In fact these two had more growth in this episode than they have had in three seasons. I don't like how everything happened but Oliver and Laurel worked for me ( not romantically!!). They addressed some issues that had been swept away and I'm not complaining about that.

They didn't really address anything though. It was more like Laurel told Oliver off and Oliver decided he hadn't been a good friend and was totally going to be a good friend, yay! They didn't work through anything, just...done. 

Which I'm not complaining about, because less Laurel is better for me. 

• Love 18

I had the same reaction you did about LL. But for me I thought it was a solid episode, if you just sidestep LL's involvement which is basically what the writers do. I'm beginning to glaze over myself when I see LL on the screen. Apparently the blank stare is contagious :)

I thought the Flashbacks were great. Loved the bonding moments between the Queen siblings. Enjoyed QL & Dig on a mission. Constantine blended better into the lair & TA than some people who have been on the show for 4 seasons. When you have to write an entire episode to repair a relationship and a character, and the most I can takeaway from the episode is if you ignore her the show works - I'm not sure what type of success that is. I was able to watch and entire episode without raging at her, but then again if you removed her from the episode I'm not sure I would have noticed anything missing. Didn't see much of her improved friendship with OQ, I just saw OQ finally giving in to her constant presence. Sometimes its easier to just not fight the crazy.

Do you have a link?

Yahoo TV ‏@YahooTV  2h2 hours ago

"You don't see me as an equal." Well, if the show were called Black Canary... @MzKatieCassidy @amellywood #ConstantineOnArrow

Her response was happy, crying emojis 

Sorry this post is messy, my computer was freaking out.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 6

I'm acknowledging my hypocrisy. When Laurel crosses her arms, it irritates me. When Oliver(and Digg) does it...swoon. Maybe it's the biceps.

tumblr_nxbaflVb1f1s1pv1uo1_500.gif

tumblr_nxbaflVb1f1s1pv1uo3_500.gif

tumblr_nxbaflVb1f1s1pv1uo2_500.gif

The problem isn't KC/LL folding her arms, it's KC/LL folding her arms ALL THE TIME.  (Plus near-constant death glare.)

• Love 8

The problem isn't KC/LL folding her arms, it's KC/LL folding her arms ALL THE TIME.  (Plus near-constant death glare.)

When Oliver does it, he's doing deep thinking, but when Laurel does it, she's just looking pissed. Attitude behind the action makes a big difference for me. 

• Love 5

Meanwhile, everything about Laurel's decision making skills or lack thereof has and will be said. What annoys me is Thea's insistence on how close the Queens and Lances are. Other than Oliver's dalliances with both daughters, I never got the impression that the families were close. It would've been better to show that back in Season 1 (and made Laurel more sympathetic). And this idea that Oliver needs to consider Laurel more makes me laugh, since this was the fight that Digg and Oliver had all the time (and why is Digg in charge of the team? I thought they were all making decisions together), with Digg insisting that Oliver needed to stop obsessing over LL. 

Yeah, this mythical friendship that they're pushing between Oliver and Laurel just makes me roll my eyes.  Talk about telling not showing.  They barely seem to like each other most of the time.  I knew as soon as Alex (that right, right?) brought up Oliver distancing himself from Laurel that the opposite would happen by episode's end.  But really, Laurel is, as far as we know, still an ADA (although, she's never actually at work) and Oliver's running for mayor - they'll probably have to work together occasionally should he get elected, so Alex needed to address that head on instead of trying to distance them.

Laurel was so much worse than I expected.  Thea too.  I was disappointed that she wouldn't take Oliver's call because she wasn't going to take the judgment.  Clearly someone is a bad influence.

Laurel's ME ME ME in the hallways was just mind boggling bad.  You want me to feel sorry for you for what YOU DID????  After Nyssa warned you?  After you for a WEEK hid that Sara was out their KILLING people?  Oh, but it's time that Oliver start thinking about her?  Oliver has spent WAY too much time over the course of the show thinking about Laurel.  She's never going to get it, will she?   

Yeah, I went into this mostly unspoiled (I didn't read about or watch the leaked ep, but got a little spoiled by accident) and about halfway through I was thinking that I might need to look into blood pressure medication.  She was just beyond awful.  At first I thought it was the same night continuing from last week's ep and surely I misheard and Sara couldn't have been out killing for a week without Laurel going to anyone for help because there aren't words for how terrible that makes her.  And that she didn't want Oliver's help because he'd judge her choices?  Really?  I just can't.  And her apology after the fact to Thea and Oliver was way too little too late for me.  And yes, the lack of Sara's POV after her resurrection was just typical of these writers who don't think past, "that's done, what's next?".

I didn't make it past the first episode of "Constantine", so I didn't have any feelings either way about him coming on.  He was fine, wouldn't want him around all the time, but I'd be fine with him popping up again.  The flashback was made of silliness, though and the restoration was also underwhelming.  In fact, I thought the reaction to Sara being back lacked a sense of urgency and OMG reactions, it was just weird pacing.

Loved the little Olicity bits, the writers continue to do right by them.  I suppose maybe they can only do a certain number of things right at a time...

• Love 20

The episode was obviously designed to rehabiliate Laurel as a character -- she hasn't belonged to Oliver's narrative pretty much since 201, and now he's decided that he's gonna make an effort to remember she exists. But it still doesn't give Laurel a storyline of her own. Once Sara's off to greener pastures, what's Laurel's narrative role? I still have no idea.

• Love 12

Ugh, this episode. Way, way too much Laurel and KC's acting continues to get worse and they showed her in the preview for next week. Go away already. She gets all the screentime Diggle should be getting.

Constantine was interesting. The actor has some weird mannerisms.

I am ready for Sara and Ray to go to LoT so Arrow can go back to being about OTA.

• Love 14

Okay, HOW did Sara get into Thea's room?

Thank you!  It doesn't reflect well on Laurel who is supposed to be watching out for Thea and  trying to be a safety buffer/line of defense  against Sara, aka keeping Sara from killing Thea. Laurel did so good on that. She wasn't even right by the actual door of the room, but a room or so away.  I'll let quarks enumerate more concisely what others have noted on ADA Lance, but yeah, Oliver never considered you an equal simply because you aren't, Laurel. Not a knock, just truth.

I did not realize how much I missed John Constantine/Matt Ryan until I heard that dabbler of the dark arts ask for a cig! Welcome back and please, visit as much as you want!

I guess I was wanting Thea to be a bit angrier at Laurel. She's a Queen, so self-recriminations and doubting your right to happiness seems to be genetic in Moira's kids, but?  Thea heard all the other folks who actually know anything about anything mystical/Lazarus Pit-wise say it was a no good, very bad idea. So bad that Nyssa made sure no one could use it ever. ( That her timing dovetails with her intention of killing Malcom, is no big to me, but then I am not a LoA assassin or a Ra's. Nyssa isn't wrong though.)  The reason she deliberately chose to leave with Malcolm was so she wouldn't be weak or anyone else's pawn. Guess who is still being a pawn? I would expect her fighting back her anger to come out with unexpected truth bombs and little patience for others' bs, Laurel most of all. Thea isn't dumb; with whatever time has elapsed from The Spa Weekend From Hell, she has to realize that Laurel played on her guilt and uncertainty. That should make the Thea Queen I've come to care about madder than a wet hen, or LoA assassin.  Disappointed in not using that in this episode.

Echo Kellum is a delight and Curtis really needs energy drink supervision!  Can we get him into some gym clothes more often? *g*

I loved Digg and Quentin going on their job. I just hope that this is actual trust building between John and Quentin. They are closer in career backgrounds than John and Ollie, but John and Oliver are a tighter bond, imo. Maybe John can figure out what TA can do to work with Quentin again.

Oh, thank you Soulfire, for the lovely gifs! I really liked the one with Felicity watching Constantine scratch his back.

• Love 8
Constantine blended better into the lair & TA than some people who have been on the show for 4 seasons.

Seconding this. 

Didn't see much of her improved friendship with OQ, I just saw OQ finally giving in to her constant presence. Sometimes its easier to just not fight the crazy.

Yeah, it was Oliver accepting that she'd been in his life a long time and was not going anywhere.  I was wondering how the "warmth" between them would play out and honestly, the happy emotion and good feelings coming from Laurel was IMO 100% just residual, "Yippee!  My Zombie sister problem is all fixed!  I'm wonderful!" 

Laurel was just happy.  Oliver was the next person that showed up in her life. I felt NOTHING personal even in her gratitude.  It was the kind of emotion you'd have with who ever saved your sister.  It was genuine, but not focused on Oliver, if that makes sense?

• Love 6

At first I thought it was the same night continuing from last week's ep and surely I misheard and Sara couldn't have been out killing for a week without Laurel going to anyone for help because there aren't words for how terrible that makes her.  

It's a bit hyperbolic but every trauma those poor Thea lookalikes suffered is on Laurel's head. Sure, Thea didn't actually kill any of them, but it was a still a preventable terrifying experience. Good to know a bit of judgment - totally deserved judgement which she didn't even ultimately receive - was worth putting the citizens of Starling City at risk. Here's our hero!

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 21

Okay, HOW did Sara get into Thea's room? I refuse to believe that Laurel was so distracted by staring at the floor that she was able to sneak in. Did Sara hitch a ride on the meal cart or something? I don't understand. If she's not jumping through a window, I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THIS SARA TRAVELS.

I was thinking that as well. And how did Sara even survive that jump out of the window without any noticeable bruises or anything? Was Thea on like the 2nd floor?  Did she sneak in through the window and close it only to jump through it closed for some reason? Was she hiding in the bathroom the entire time?

• Love 2

Saw something on Twitter that the peacock feather was subtle shade to NBC for cancelling Constantine.

Ha!  And Felicity called it a DEAD Peacock feather.  Most of the time Peacock feathers are collected from the live birds when they naturally shed them (yes, I may have done some research after seeing the trailer last week)

• Love 8