Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Cool Boys

WendyCR72

Had a re-watch, still enjoyed it, even more so when I skipped the unsolicited Martha advice scene and Slaughter's "put your wife first" eye roll worthy moment, watching them once was bad enough.

The scene with Slaughter in Castle's office was even worse second time around, I should have put that on fast forward too, oh boy I cringed in embarrassment but I loved Martha being all protective of her son. Susan continues to be awesome even if I wasn't so keen on her advice earlier.

Castle's awful wardrobe, that horrible old man jacket MUST GO.

Characters should be on a show for a reason, I'm not sure what purpose Hayley serves though, she gives up some information to Castle and then disappears. She's a blank slate with no real purpose in terms of the storytelling that I can see. Based on one interview Toks did it seemed obvious she had been given minimal back story and they don't want to develop the character right now and they intend to presumably keep it that way unless Katic leaves. Does consulting for Castle really pay more than her previous line of work?  Is the NYPD paying her for services rendered? It's odd that she's sticking around to help everyone out, she seemed far too mercenary to be suddenly so obliging.

"Mommy" Castle squeaks down the phone, oh please, that made me cringe.  When has Castle ever called her that? Can the writers please stop portraying him like this. Castle showing concern for that kid was touching, that's the guy I want to see on this show not the one who looks ready to pee his pants he's so scared.

Castle stealing the boys car and running around town with their murder suspect should have had serious consequences and why couldn't they just put out a bulletin or something? They need to be careful to not undermine the integrity of these characters in an attempt to bring out the humor. I'm not expecting documentary style policing on this show but even I know that if my murder suspect got taken and my police car stolen I'd be in a shit load of trouble when I got back to base and I certainly couldn't hide the situation from my superiors.

The song and dance routine felt more like Fillion and Baldwin having a good time not the characters.  Same with the friend business,  it's like Hawley got confused and mixed the genuine friendship between the two actors with the characters but the latter don't have that shared history.

Having Baldwin and Castle together for the majority of the episode really helped maintain the momentum and energy. I've realised that's what's missing with Castle and Beckett, that special synergy that can only be achieved when they're physically together on screen for long periods but that happens so infrequently these days you don't get that same dynamism and charge. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Castle: Cool Boys – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review by Lee Lofland.

However, seeing Castle practically cowering and hiding behind mommy’s skirts and the legs of his daughter when Slaughter entered the scene was foolish. Someone really does need to decide whether or not Castle is a brave man or a total chicken. Having him switch back and forth between the two is irritating. 

Agree with Lee about this, the writers need to make up their minds up is Castle man or mouse? 

As usual, the murderer was easy to spot early on, so no surprise there. Neither were the scenes featuring Castle moping and all junior-high-boy-puppy-dog-eyed over Beckett. This stuff was old weeks ago. I say get over her and move on. Or, have Hayley face the camera to squirt some sort of deadly gas into our living rooms so we can all be put out of the misery inflicted upon us by this extremely stupid part of the story. The latter would serve two purposes. One, it would end the “Beckett left me” nonsense. Two, it would offer some explanation as to why Hayley is still involved in the show. W.H.Y. is she there? Can anyone explain this person’s role? Is it possible she’s there as an introduction to a character who’ll serve as Castle’s sidekick in a new show after this one totally fizzles out in a few weeks? We’ll see.

Lee musing about Hayley made me smile, he's not the only one curious as to what purpose she serves on this show.  I don't dislike her as a character but she seems pretty useless and I don't care about her when there are more deserving recipients of valuable screentime. 

Edited by verdana

She's a blank slate with no real purpose in terms of the storytelling that I can see. Based on one interview Toks did it seemed obvious she had been given minimal back story and they don't want to develop the character right now and they intend to presumably keep it that way unless Katic leaves. Does consulting for Castle really pay more than her previous line of work?  Is the NYPD paying her for services rendered? It's odd that she's sticking around to help everyone out, she seemed far too mercenary to be suddenly so obliging.

I assume that Castle and the NYPD have been paying her when she consults, and that Haley probably has other clients as well.  Consultants typically work for multiple people at a time.  She seems to be the type to take whatever work comes her way.

But I really don't see the point of her.  I think they wanted another woman who could be in the mix with Gates being going. But they could have just kept Gates.

Castle stealing the boys car and running around town with their murder suspect should have had serious consequences and why couldn't they just put out a bulletin or something?

They probably didn't want to have to admit that they screwed up and let a civilian interrupt their arrest and steal their car.  They already look stupid enough after Ryan shot Espo in the ass. I'm surprised JH and SD were happy about this season, the new showrunners seem to enjoy making them look like awful cops. No one is surviving their character assassination spree.  

They probably didn't want to have to admit that they screwed up and let a civilian interrupt their arrest and steal their car.  They already look stupid enough after Ryan shot Espo in the ass. I'm surprised JH and SD were happy about this season, the new showrunners seem to enjoy making them look like awful cops. No one is surviving their character assassination spree.  

The body count is climbing with every episode.

I'm surprised JH and SD were happy about this season, the new showrunners seem to enjoy making them look like awful cops. No one is surviving their character assassination spree.  

Yeah I remember reading that interview it's strange, they both seemed happy with what they were doing unless it was pure PR spin. If I was in their shoes I wouldn't be best pleased with how the writers are choosing to portray the boys at all. Especially for Seamus because Ryan's character has been made to look really bad. Then again, may be the actors don't care about the quality of the writing as long as they get increased screen time and it keeps them from being bored. Although as an actor I would have thought they would want to showcase the best of their acting talents for future roles. If I was a casting agent I wouldn't be that impressed watching recent episodes unless I'm looking to do a new show based on the Keystone Cops.

Edited by verdana
But I really don't see the point of her.  I think they wanted another woman who could be in the mix with Gates being going. But they could have just kept Gates.

I miss Gates, even though she often disappeared for long periods of time, she carried authority as Captain and she was fitting more comfortably into the role and also forging a respectful alliance with Beckett and the boys.  Getting rid of Gates and replacing her with Hayley feels like a poor exchange.

• Love 1

Although I didn't hate this episode...exactly. It's not an episode I will look back on or watch again. It felt fragmented from the start and didn't get any better as time passed.

Baldwin is a  DB  and I hope his character,Detective Slaughter is over and done.

Enough of the Firefly reunion. This is Castle or better yet,Castle and Beckett. 

Kate Beckett,calling Kate Beckett. Has anyone seen Kate Beckett. Not too cool boys.

This whole  separation arc has become tedious. I hope it works it's way out by mid-season break.

jmho

• Love 1
However, seeing Castle practically cowering and hiding behind mommy’s skirts and the legs of his daughter when Slaughter entered the scene was foolish. Someone really does need to decide whether or not Castle is a brave man or a total chicken. Having him switch back and forth between the two is irritating.

Yet this is the man that supposedly saved the fucking world when he was missing?!?!?! B U L L S H I T! So incredibly stupid. 

• Love 1

Characters should be on a show for a reason, I'm not sure what purpose Hayley serves though, she gives up some information to Castle and then disappears. She's a blank slate with no real purpose in terms of the storytelling that I can see. Based on one interview Toks did it seemed obvious she had been given minimal back story and they don't want to develop the character right now and they intend to presumably keep it that way unless Katic leaves. Does consulting for Castle really pay more than her previous line of work?  Is the NYPD paying her for services rendered? It's odd that she's sticking around to help everyone out, she seemed far too mercenary to be suddenly so obliging.

"Mommy" Castle squeaks down the phone, oh please, that made me cringe.  When has Castle ever called her that? Can the writers please stop portraying him like this. Castle showing concern for that kid was touching, that's the guy I want to see on this show not the one who looks ready to pee his pants he's so scared.

Even thought Vikram works in the precinct, Haley seems to be the new Tory. Just kinda there.

Yeah Castle only calls Martha Mother but he did say Mom in the laser tag scene from s1. That office scene was dumb. That teen perked up thinking Castle as a role model instead he got Slaughter. I would rather have Castle since it was similar to when he wanted to be Alexis babysitter turned model friend back in s3.

I think the only well lit indoor scenes were at Slaughter's ex-wife's house and the killer's youth organization office. Even the outdoor scenes had a blueish tint that went with every other dark scene.

I found Slaughter much more tolerable this time.

I was annoyed with tattle-tale Ryan and hard-headed Esposito.

I was pissed off at Castle's wimpiness in not meeting Slaughter face on at the beginning.

The COTW was pretty good, but I thought the perp was the Fence.

And I missed Beckett notta wit.

A Beckett less episode isn't Castle. The whole point of this show & them getting married is to see more of them together not less. Apparently, these tv stars in long running shows want to work less. They do the same thing on Hawaii 5-0 but they have the luxury of a larger cast. It's too bad for Castle because I get the impression that neither stars really wanted to come back (at least, full time) and, neither would be totally upset if it got cancelled. I guess 8 years is a long time to do the shows but they get paid so much money and don't even work a whole I hardly feel sorry for them.

Nice of him to do another live tweet.  Was he talking about the scene where they were all in the break room discussing the case?  Considering some of the COTWs we've had to endure, it's no wonder even the actors have to track it through.  Of course, sometimes you wonder if the writers tracked things through in the first place, both the logic of mysteries and relationships on the show. ;)

I wonder if they tried that with Sleeper and the Castle mythology and then gave up? God help them, I rarely feel sorry for actors but having to figure out some of the convoluted goings on in recent seasons and trying to sell it has me sympathising. 

I think the only well lit indoor scenes were at Slaughter's ex-wife's house and the killer's youth organization office. Even the outdoor scenes had a blueish tint that went with every other dark scene.

Yeah the lighting is awful usually too dark or scenes have some strange colour palette to them, I noticed the difference when they walked into his ex wife's house it was like wow can we stay here please a bit longer so I can enjoy it. Such a rare treat on this show. 

The question is, will he listen? Will he man the eff up and go to her like a freaking adult and just GET A REAL ANSWER.

Married people tell each other things, they don't seem very married to me, their interactions are mostly superficial or they use other things to distract the audience away from the fact they don't want to deal with the Locksat story yet and their relationship.

I do hope they address the fact that Beckett still has serious psychological issues to resolve stemming from the trauma of her mother's death.  I wish that wasn't the case, but the way they've written Beckett this season, she really needs therapy and not just order the boys to go to it.

But the statement from Martha saying we must remember Beckett's traumatic past etc sounds like they're getting Kate's excuses in for her behaviour with little sign they have any intention of an emotional follow through for the character where Beckett takes responsibility for her apparent Messiah complex and acknowledges she has a big problem that must be addressed if she wants a normal, happy, fulfilling life. 

the writers' (and Marlowe was completely guilty of the same) are choosing emotional notes for the characters which I find very puzzling.  Therefore, sadly, I won't be surprised anymore if the separation ends without any mea culpa from Beckett.  The next 2 episodes will be telling in how the writers perceive the emotional dynamic between Caskett at this critical juncture in their relationship.  There should be less treading water and a real reckoning.

If they have a confrontation the writers will find a way to have her duck any responsibility for her actions and it will be back to Castle having to make amends or express remorse in some bizarre way for what was her selfish deluded choice in the first place. The writers keep trying to convince me her actions are done out of love and a feeling of responsibility and duty towards others and I should feel sorry for Beckett and her plight. If they follow true to form they'll have Kate doing something else out of "love" for Castle that will come over as the exact opposite and will make her look even more unsympathetic and brain dead and Castle gets to look bad too as a guy who can't stand up for himself.

Edited by verdana

so can someone please tell me how he knows they love each other and can give better advice than

In -show, Slaughter was talking about his own failed marraige.  Which really is all anyone does, short of a trained professional.

But this whole story line makes me wonder , a lot, about the personal lives of the writers. Do any of them know any grownups?

But heck, what do I know? I'm only in the 47th year of my first marriage.

Here's the original dance number featuring some of the least convincing teenagers ever.

• Love 1
Here's the original dance number featuring some of the least convincing teenagers ever.

Heh, thanks for the video madmaverick and femmefan, haven't watched that in ages.

I need to see a Castle and Beckett little musical number before the season is done, I've heard Stana sing and she's not bad. 

Another thoughtful and detailed review from Joy. She's right about Martha becoming a mouth piece for the writers. She makes a good point which I missed initially in that how did Martha even know to bring that topic up when like Rick she has no idea why Beckett left in the first place, that makes the writers agenda look even more painfully forced.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder then if SK just wanted to distance herself from Baldwin as much as possible. I read awhile ago, but don't remember where, that he's said some rude things about her (to her face or not I don't know).

I've never heard that story. I do hope it's not true, that would be very unprofessional not to mention obnoxious. I prefer to believe it was obviously set up by Hawley as a boys having fun reunion with him at the helm and it was the easiest one to keep Katic out of and also move around.

Love this episode, esp the musical number. As for the promo: 1)If Beck really wants a divorce, that will just drive Castle to seriously investigate what is going on. 2) If Kate is not serious and Rick just over heard the comment(And Beckert doesn't tell him it is a ruse), he still will be looking for answers. Either wat a reckoning needs to take place. Maybe he'll get the kid from this week to hack Vikram's computer and get some answers.(I like that kid and would like to see more of him.)

As someone earlier or elsewhere said, I did enjoy this episode as if it were from another series, but it did seem to me that the part of of it was sort of reverse-engineered from the dance distraction scene. I can well imagine good chums Filion and Baldwin joking around about never having done a musical number together on Firefly, and the writers deciding to write one and figuring out the otherwise weirdly random backstory for Slaughter in order to make the "musical number" work.

I could be amused by more Martha/Slaughter scenes, though.

• Love 2

Because this show makes silly in-jokes and isn't above it, they missed a bet when Slaughter's ex-wife wasn't named Vera.

And that pretty much sums up my takeaway.  I used to watch this show right away.   Now I watch when I get around to it and have nothing else left on the DVR.  Sad.  

• Love 2

So I guess Baldwin really can't sing? If he could, I might've loved it too. Or if they had taste-o-vision and smell-o-vision. It looked like he knew his way around a kitchen.

No wonder he (Slaughter) couldn't make it in musical theater.

• Love 1

I finally got around to watching this episode.  Loved it.  From everything I've seen of his public persona, I really dislike Adam Baldwin.... with a passion.  But as a comedic lead in a half-hour cop dramedy or Firefly renewal, I'd definitely watch him.  Forever.  He outshined (outshone?) Nathan (and would likely outshine Stana).  He really stole the show. 

Yep, if they spin Castle to a new PI series, Slaughter should be in it. Please.

I'm also fine with Martha and Alexis in the roles they played.  Hayley didn't fit this time, but I think her presence is to get her in the picture so it doesn't seem as weird when she is there doing something more valuable.

Nathan can sing.  More of that, please.  Loved it as well.

I really have to stop reading forums.  I get too immersed in the details and forget that I'm just there for the entertainment.  If I'd based what to do on what fans said, I'd have missed out on a big 42 minutes of fun.  Glad I finally watched.  The ratings were low, but likely because the audience for this episode was over watching sci-fi or vampires.  The right promotion would probably have made it a hit.

Edited by TWP