Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Love & Basketball

A few things to note on this one --

First, for Eve, the recapper -- the confrontation between Clive and the abuser didn't really go down as described. Clive didn't simply show up to beat him up. He showed up, was civil and controlled, and quietly told the Dad that he was now under police surveillance and that if he laid a hand on his kid again, he and the police would know. The Dad then went bonkers and attacked Clive, who then disabled him with a few hits, repeated his warning, and left. It wasn't like Clive arrived and beat him up and we all cheered, per se.

Meanwhile, as a Seattleite, this show's "Seattle" setting makes me laugh occasionally, as when "Lake Washington" was shown in early Season 1 to be a dank, grey, rather smallish lake (in actuality it's a big, long beautiful lake with very blue water that looks very much like an alpine fjord. (On the plus side, the setting with the Real Housewife-type character earlier this season had a much better and more believable "Lake Washington" view.)

Onward. Then, in this one, I had to laugh when they (1) said that Tacoma was "40 miles from Seattle" (it's not, it's barely 26 miles South on I-5 -- basically a suburb), and that (2) the Tacoma ME had some kind of small-town chip on his shoulder over not having the resources of big-city Seattle, when, come on, show, Tacoma is a pretty decent-sized city in its own right (with around 200k population, is pretty industrialized thanks to Boeing, etc., and even shares the Sea-Tac Airport with Seattle. The small-town chip would have been more apt if it had been Redmond or Issaquah.

I usually don't mind when the show fudges the Seattle setting, but this particular episode irritated me throughout on that front. Even if it was also amusing.

I was moved by the Major/Liv stuff. I hate what Major is going through this season (and I'm still not over the initial poor sweet dad or that recent dog owner) but dramatically, it's really rich and dramatic stuff.

• Love 2