Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E10: Icons Night & Dance Off Challenge

• Start Topic

I hope Tom was taking a shot at Ricky Martin when he said that he wished that he could pull off that sunglasses-indoors look.  That's about the douchiest look going and one of my top pet peeves.

Does Ricky Martin wear shades indoors too, or do you mean Marc Anthony? (Marc Anthony was Carlos' friend and "idol" for the segment.)

I hate that "look" too - if I can't see your eyes, I can't connect with you. And you look like a poser when you do that.

The only reason to wear shades indoors is if your ailing eyes need the special protection.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

Does Ricky Martin wear shades indoors too, or do you mean Marc Anthony? (Marc Anthony was Carlos' friend and "idol" for the segment.)

I hate that "look" too - if I can't see your eyes, I can't connect with you. And you look like a poser when you do that.

The only reason to wear shades indoors is if your ailing eyes need the special protection.

I think you mean Marc Anthony. 

My bad.  I was so worked up I confused the object of my irritation.  

Carry on (and thanks for the corrections).

• Love 1

Agreed. That's why I like the old youtubes of Jonathan and Anna, just to get some variety. I mean, how often does Foxtrot have to be a "broadway" number? Doesn't anyone dance Standard anymore? It's by far my favorite. At least Rumer's favorites seemed to be more standard light, so I'll take it. But how much better would she be with a Standard pro? Gosh, if she had a few lessons with Jonathan, or international standard star Luca Bracchi who was on the show briefly one season I think to help out with a standard tango, a whole world could be open to her. The Quicksteps on this show are...not great, maybe one was pretty great that was Louis and Sabrina Bryan on the all stars, but the rest like the ones Derek does you could drive a mac truck between the dancers,in hold, and that's simply incorrect. They have just thrown out the rules all together, because frankly latin dancers find it tough to do well. But I never expected Jonathan to be a samba king either.

I agree with this so much!! Anna and Jonathon's standard dances were magic!! And I thought Cheryl did some very memorable waltzes with both Emmett and Giles! I so much more enjoy an intimate standard ( and I find them extremely sexy!) than the production number fox trot Derek thru out!

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 2

This was the most themeless theme night they've ever had. I wish they'd just go back to assigning a dance and having them dance it, rather than trying to shoehorn it into some bigger story that no one cares about.

This X 1000.

• Love 2

I think Tamar is technically very good, but there is something so incredibly off-putting about her face when she dances. There is no visible connection to anything. It's like she has a mask on. I don't know where her eyes are focussed, but it seriously bugs. Week after week, I simply can't warm to her at all.

Sorry to see Andy go, because he has truly improved and I think he was really digging the experience.

• Love 1

I think Tamar is technically very good, but there is something so incredibly off-putting about her face when she dances. There is no visible connection to anything. It's like she has a mask on. I don't know where her eyes are focussed, but it seriously bugs. Week after week, I simply can't warm to her at all.

Sorry to see Andy go, because he has truly improved and I think he was really digging the experience.

I agree.

It's a shame because there are shots of Tamar smiling and she is absolutely stunning when she smiles; so much warmth in her face.  I don't know why she loses that when she dances.  I suspect becuase she is thinking too much.

The Paso Doble was "meh" - for a strong individual, she lacked conviction in that dance and her movements seemed tentative.  Granted the song choice and dress didn't help - I didn't like the ruffle on Tamar's shoulder; I think it made her look like her shoulder was up to her ears and that was displeasing to the eye.  That said, the color was simply stunning on her. 

I mostly liked Alexa's dance, though the music was awful and took me right out of the moment.  She seems to finally be willing to fully embrace the process and it shows in her improvement in the routines.  I’m glad she was called safe.

Nice to see Nick stop thinking about the routine and just dance - very lovely moment.

Bindi's routine was fun; I appreciated the sentiment in Andy's dance, very sweet.

Alek has plateaued and I am not a fan of Carlos; something about him just bugs.

• Love 3

I thought it was a good night of dancing overall. This deep into the season I suspect people have settled on their favorites and will likely not change their opinion no matter what. But it's always interesting to hear other people's perspective/opinion of the same dances I've watched. That's probably why I think this is the best DWTS forum for the show.  Anywho...enough gushing.

I was happy to see for the last couple of weeks that everyone has been doing the standard/latin dances.  I do recall one season (don't ask me which one) where there were too non-traditional dances for my taste.  Now if the producers would just ditch the idea of yet ANOTHER theme night...I'd be so happy.

• Love 3

I thought it was a good night of dancing overall. This deep into the season I suspect people have settled on their favorites and will likely not change their opinion no matter what. But it's always interesting to hear other people's perspective/opinion of the same dances I've watched. That's probably why I think this is the best DWTS forum for the show.  Anywho...enough gushing.

Absolutely! I do appreciate how people on this forum seem passionate about the show and it is interesting to hear other people's opinions. The mods are also great for letting us talk about controversial things :-) It would be nice if TPTB read the forum and listened to our suggestions. Fat chance of that happening. LOL

• Love 4

Well that's odd, because I think Bindi's face is off-putting. Her constant mugging and smiling is creeping me out, like she's manic or something. I've only seen a couple of her dances, a lumpy jive, a you need a better bra Rumba,  and a Norah Desmond Tango with fangs and it creeped me out.    

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Anybody wanna caption this photo?

CTFWK1zUYAAoIPv.jpg

NICK -  Hey Tamar, once you go Backstreet, you never go back. 

TAMAR- I know you don't shoot no blanks Nick, so  Imma gonna keep you where I can see you!.

VAL- Not that you  would notice Sharna, but Nick has some fine Backstreet back there, 

SHARNA- Notice! It's a climbing toy, he needs to tuck that backstreet back down under! 

• Love 2

This deep into the season I suspect people have settled on their favorites and will likely not change their opinion no matter what. But it's always interesting to hear other people's perspective/opinion of the same dances I've watched.

Although I, like you, enjoy reading everyone's opinions here, I haven't settled on a favorite yet. Five of the remaining competitors have been my favorite dancer of the week at least once. Some seasons I have a favorite (or a top 2) rather early on, but this isn't one of those seasons for me. I'm finding it very exciting this way.

I think Alexa will go home, but I've been thinking Alexa is going home for, like, 4 weeks now, so what do I know LOL. I don't want her to get eliminated, but the mistake in the AT might be costly. Though the dance itself was cool and reasonably memorable IMO (might the religious theme help?) and then she helped herself out further by doing well in the dance-off (that she won the public vote isn't necessarily indicative of all voting patterns, but it's encouraging nonetheless). And apart from NIck the scores are close. So I guess it's not hopeless and I'll just expect the worst so I can be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't come to pass.

Carlos was utterly forgettable in his salsa IMO. The dance-off and jeopardy helped him with votes, I would think. But how much? Alek was utterly mediocre and forgettable all around, but he had his Chris Kyle package (ugh), was that enough? I don't think he's as interesting as Noah, he doesn't have Noah's challenges, he's stalled in his dancing since about week 3 or something and is IMO also not that interesting personality-wise (though nice enough, one temper tantrum a season is pretty harmless stuff). We just assume he does great vote-wise, but it might not be at the level of other army men the show had. Tamar did a nice paso, though IMO it wasn't killer, and the vote in the dance-off is a bit of an iffy sign. I think Val's fans are voting for her, though I don't know how much, I know she has a dedicated fanbase but are they voting a lot?

I think it's between these four, Bindi and Nick are safe.

• Love 1

I think Alexa will go home, but I've been thinking Alexa is going home for, like, 4 weeks now, so what do I know LOL. I don't want her to get eliminated, but the mistake in the AT might be costly. Though the dance itself was cool and reasonably memorable IMO (might the religious theme help?) and then she helped herself out further by doing well in the dance-off (that she won the public vote isn't necessarily indicative of all voting patterns, but it's encouraging nonetheless). And apart from NIck the scores are close. So I guess it's not hopeless and I'll just expect the worst so I can be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't come to pass.

Carlos was utterly forgettable in his salsa IMO. The dance-off and jeopardy helped him with votes, I would think. But how much? Alek was utterly mediocre and forgettable all around, but he had his Chris Kyle package (ugh), was that enough? I don't think he's as interesting as Noah, he doesn't have Noah's challenges, he's stalled in his dancing since about week 3 or something and is IMO also not that interesting personality-wise (though nice enough, one temper tantrum a season is pretty harmless stuff). We just assume he does great vote-wise, but it might not be at the level of other army men the show had. Tamar did a nice paso, though IMO it wasn't killer, and the vote in the dance-off is a bit of an iffy sign. I think Val's fans are voting for her, though I don't know how much, I know she has a dedicated fanbase but are they voting a lot?

Very interesting analysis. I have one quibble, though. Alek didn't throw just one tantrum: there were at least three. On two different show nights he was seen cursing his marks, and during one of his later rehearsals he was shown asking his partner to choreograph "giving the finger" to the judges into their next routine, in protest of his previous marks.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when they are on an edited tv show. But I think that these 3 examples show a pretty clear pattern of a lack of respect for the judges' knowledge and experience.

Edited by jordanpond

I am thinking they may have lowballed Alek enough that he may go home. I mean, the judges had to have already known Andy was going home when they gave him the dance off points. The only reason was to lowball Alek as much as possible, IMO.

Can't help but wonder if the contestants or pros picked their team. Alexa was the first player Bindi picked in the Halloween competition and Tamar for Nick. And they are partnered for the upcoming week.

But I think that these 3 examples show a pretty clear pattern of a lack of respect for the judges' knowledge and experience.

I've lost interest in Alek now, but I want to say that I share his lack of respect for the judges (not for their knowledge and experience) - they may not be idiots, but they play them on tv.

• Love 1

Can't help but wonder if the contestants or pros picked their team. Alexa was the first player Bindi picked in the Halloween competition and Tamar for Nick. And they are partnered for the upcoming week.

When they did the duets or duels in Season 18 I think the pairings were random - the top scorer pulled a name out of a hat and it went down the line. I remember that the website that we will not mention here were ready to call shenanigans when Maks and Meryl were paired with Val and Danica but then they got word from their source that the whole thing was totally random names pulled out of a hat. I have no idea if they kept the same approach but thought it was worth mentioning. 

When they did the duets or duels in Season 18 I think the pairings were random - the top scorer pulled a name out of a hat and it went down the line. I remember that the website that we will not mention here were ready to call shenanigans when Maks and Meryl were paired with Val and Danica but then they got word from their source that the whole thing was totally random names pulled out of a hat. I have no idea if they kept the same approach but thought it was worth mentioning. 

Okay, thanks. Maybe it was random though it didn't seem so random to me.

It seems like it could be random to me in the sense that I would have thought TPTB would have been itching to have Alexa and Carlos dance together, yet the show didn't go there.  Though I think Nick is the pairing that makes the most sense for Tamar.