Type keyword(s) to search

Crazy Ex-Roles: Cast in Other Roles

Just finished season 1 on Netflix, having spent the past two-and-a-half weeks happily letting this show, its cast, and its music eat my brain.  I'm now in "consume print/video interviews & singing clips until season 2 starts" mode (I may or may not have watched Rachel Bloom's interviews on Colbert, Kimmel, AND Corden on YouTube last night,) so all the Santino and Rachel videos are much appreciated!  Here's my humble contribution, a bit of Vincent Rodriguez III love.  Both are performances from Broadway Sessions, a weekly cabaret/open mic thing in NY, with Vincent singing in a big-ole-Broadway style that's very different from Josh.

Here's "Double Talk" from City of Angels: 

And "At the Fountain" from Sweet Smell of Success:

• Love 1

Those are great -- thanks!

In a slightly different vein, some might find this an amusing look at a slightly younger Mr. Rodriguez. A few years back, the Encores! series in NYC did Rodgers and Hammerstein's little-known Pipe Dream (based on John Steinbeck's Cannery Row stories). In this "come see us!" preview video before they opened, you can see principals Leslie Uggams, Laura Osnes, Tom Wopat, and Will Chase, but also Vincent Rodriguez III as part of the ensemble behind them.

Edited by Rinaldo

Some quotes and info about the song Bloom wrote for the Supergirl/Flash musical:

The musical crossover between the CW’s Supergirl and The Flash lets stars Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin trade superpowers for tap shoes, with help from the mad songwriting mind of Rachel Bloom.

The Crazy Ex-Girlfriend co-creator and star penned one of the original tunes in a two-part superhero spectacular “overstuffed with joy and fun,” says Flash and Supergirl executive producer Andrew Kreisberg.

... Bloom’s Super Friends is a peppy duet between the two stars that’s reminiscent of her irreverent Crazy Ex songs but with a meta element.

Bloom describes the tune as “kind of a comment on all of those songs like Together Wherever We Go or You’re the Top, a very classic musical-theater ‘We’ll always stick together’ song that knows it’s super cheesy.

She had her skills tested, too: Super Friends was conceived, approved and written in less than 24 hours, and she enlisted her old Robot Chicken boss Tom Root to add extra superhero jokes. “That was a really nice exercise as a songwriter and flexing my muscles from doing a show with now 82 original songs and, OK, can I write a song this quickly,” says Bloom.

I watched The Flash mostly to hear Rachel's song, and I was disappointed. Cole Porter did it better in "Friendship." I mean, "If they ever make a cannibal stew of you, invite me too" is unbeatable.

Edited by dubbel zout

Rachel Bloom is writing a book! (projected spring 2019 release date)

“I can’t wait to write this sordid tell-all book in which I plan to put my enemies on blast and, on the flip side, elevate those who are loyal to me to the status of gods among men,” Bloom says in a release. “You will learn about my 15 divorces, multiple lip transplants and all the details of that fateful night I whispered to George R.R. Martin, ‘What if you wrote a thing about royalty and zombies and it was also super cold?’ When this book appears on shelves, only the worthy may read it; the rest who dare lay eyes on even the introduction will instantly melt into the earth. Also, there may be an embarrassing story about my period, LOL :)”

• Love 2

'Rachel Bloom’s Brilliant New Song “Ladyboss” Proves That Leaning In Ain’t Easy'  (Profanity in the video, BTW)

... So when Vanity Fair asked Bloom to make a video in honor of our very first Founders Fair—a conference celebrating female entrepreneurs—she really leaned in, composing an ode to the confusing conundrum of being both a leader and a woman at the same time. The song starts out as a standard empowerment anthem, before, like most of Bloom’s work, it takes a swift left turn ...

• Love 1
On 4/20/2017 at 7:05 PM, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Graceland I always felt ended kind of abruptly.

I think they were planning on making another season and then it didn't get renewed. Oh, well -- at least it freed up my beautiful Aaron Tveit to do other projects, especially ones where he sings!

• Love 1

I love "Ladyboss"!  I've listened to it so many times - my favorite line remains the one about getting a Ruth Bader Ginsberg pillow to muffle the sound of sobs.

Vincent Rodriguez III was on Designated Survivor this week, playing a young congressman.  He was the head of an ethics committee investigating one of the major characters, so he had a decent amount of screentime, and he got one-on-one scenes with both Kiefer Sutherland and Virginia Madsen.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, angora said:

I love "Ladyboss"!  I've listened to it so many times - my favorite line remains the one about getting a Ruth Bader Ginsberg pillow to muffle the sound of sobs.

Vincent Rodriguez III was on Designated Survivor this week, playing a young congressman.  He was the head of an ethics committee investigating one of the major characters, so he had a decent amount of screentime, and he got one-on-one scenes with both Kiefer Sutherland and Virginia Madsen.

I may have yelled "OMG it's JOSH CHAN" at the TV when he came on.

• Love 1
(edited)

Gabrielle Ruiz (Valencia Perez) is performing the National Anthem this Saturday May 27th, 7:00pm prior to the Los Angeles Aviators professional ultimate frisbee match at Occidental College in Eagle Rock, CA. Come out and watch Gabrielle perform and stay for the game afterwards! Ticket links are here:

https://www.laaviators.com/product/game-4-aviators-vs-growlers/

facebook event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1668806303425368

Edited by jtodap
On 5/5/2017 at 11:27 AM, AdorkableWitch said:

I may have yelled "OMG it's JOSH CHAN" at the TV when he came on.

But a Josh Chan who wanted to cut ARTS funding!! The horror!

Santino's next role?

The much-buzzed about stage adaptation of Tootsie has its eyes on a Broadway bow. With a reading slated for June 8, Tony nominee Scott Ellis is set to direct the musical comedy based on the beloved 1982 film. Fresh off of the news that The Band's Visit will open on Broadway this fall, busy composer-lyricist David Yazbek has also written the score for Tootsie. Robert Horn, who wrote 13 with Jason Robert Brown, penned the book.

No casting has been confirmed, but Broadway.com Audience Choice Award winner Santino Fontana is rumored for the lead role of Michael Dorsey (created on-screen by Dustin Hoffman).

• Love 1

For anyone in Chicago, Santino is reuniting with his Cinderella costar in July!

A Broadway Romance

Ted Sperling takes the Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus and the stars of Cinderella on Broadway, Laura Osnes (Bandstand) and Santino Fontana (Frozen), through the ups and downs of romance, with music from Frozen, Cinderella, and classic and contemporary shows including Carousel, Follies, Oklahoma and more.

Where & When:
Jay Pritzker Pavilion
Concert: Friday, July 21, 2017, 6:30pm – 9:00pm 
Concert: Saturday, July 22, 2017, 7:30pm – 10:00pm
Open Rehearsal: Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 3:00pm – 5:30pm 
Open Rehearsal: Thursday, July 20, 2017, 10:30am – 1:00pm 
Open Rehearsal: Friday, July 21, 2017, 11:00am – 1:30pm 

Who:
Grant Park Orchestra And Chorus
Ted Sperling, Guest Conductor
Christopher Bell, Chorus Director
Laura Osnes And Santino Fontana, Vocalists

What:
Gershwin: Overture to Girl Crazy
Loesser: Song of a Summer Night from The Most Happy Fella
Bernstein: Something's Coming from West Side Story
Rodgers: Out of My Dreams from Oklahoma!
Bock: Tonight at Eight/Will He Like Me from She Loves Me
Pasek & Paul: First Date/Last Night from Dogfight
Styne: I Met a Girl from Bells Are Ringing
Rodgers: Ten Minutes Ago from Cinderella
Rodgers: If I Loved You from Carousel
Rodgers: You Are Never Away from Allegro
Beck: Love is an Open Door from Frozen
Berlin: Old-Fashioned Wedding from Annie Get Your Gun
Sondheim: Getting Married Today from Company
Brown: Next Ten Minutes from The Last Five Years
Lane: The Begat from Finian's Rainbow
Flaherty: Our Children from Ragtime
Guettel: Dividing Day from The Light in the Piazza
Sondheim: Buddy's Blues and Could I Leave You from Follies
Loewe: How to Handle a Woman from Camelot
Arlen: Come Rain or Come Shine from St. Louis Woman
Bernstein: Make Our Garden Grow from Candide

Well, it shows you how much I pay attention to the Tonys or Rachel's social media..., but Rachel was at the Tony Awards show as a "backstage correspondent".

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I loved The Big Sick and I don't remember her being in it-- I thought I was paying attention, too! I guess that means she did a good job, but it makes me annoyed with myself.

She was one of the potential mates her parents tried to set him up with.  I wouldn't consider what I say to be a big spoiler considering the premise is pretty well known and it's not major but I'll hide it anyway.

Spoiler

She was the potential mate who could do magic.  She was the one who appeared the most and seemed like she'd be the most compatible if it weren't for Emily.  He drove her to her house and confessed he was in love with someone else.  She wanted to know when she'd find her match. 

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

She was one of the potential mates her parents tried to set him up with.  I wouldn't consider what I say to be a big spoiler considering the premise is pretty well known and it's not major but I'll hide it anyway.

Hide contents

She was the potential mate who could do magic.  She was the one who appeared the most and seemed like she'd be the most compatible if it weren't for Emily.  He drove her to her house and confessed he was in love with someone else.  She wanted to know when she'd find her match. 

Ha. I remember the character but didn't put it together that it was her. Thanks.

Busy days ahead for Santino Fontana, with two big stage roles:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Santino-Fontana-Will-Fill-In-For-Gavin-Creel-in-HELLO-DOLLY-20180221

and https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/e2-80-98tootsie-e2-80-99-musical-heading-to-broadway-in-2019/ar-AAv85b9

I imagine he'll be great in both! I've seen him onstage before, and he was fantastic. But it wasn't a musical so I still have the thrill of hearing him sing live to look forward to.

• Love 2

More crossover with Another Period this week. It's musical episode of sorts, and Vincent Rodriguez III appeared in the previous episode. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Trini said:

Rachel will be in tonight's iZombie! As a "pretentious theater actor":

She was only in the first scene and it requires no pre-existing knowledge of iZombie. Rachel played Nelly, a woman putting on a production of Rent where all the characters who had AIDS in the original version of the show now have the zombie virus. She sings part of Rent and Seasons of Love with changed lyrics. This clip has part of her scene:

• Love 1
(edited)

Adam Pally, Doug Mand (a writer for CEG who also played David in two episodes), John Reynolds, & Dan Gregor (another CEG writer who played Dr. Roth in two videos) discuss Most Likely to Murder (Rachel Bloom is a producer for the film and also appears in it):

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Not exactly a role, but Vincent Rodriguez spoke at PH Time Is Now (a mentoring and networking event for Filipino industry leaders). Ali Ewoldt (the first actress of Asian descent to play Christine in Phantom of the Opera) posted a picture of them together at the event and said that when her Phantom dresser saw the picture, the first thing she said was, "IS THAT JOSH CHAN?"

• Love 1

I saw Patti LuPone on Wednesday night and the show began with a bunch of clips from her career. There was the usual (Fantine in Les Mis, Evita, etc) but then they threw in a clip from CXG! People were applauding for the songs/characters they liked and I'm sorry to report that there was hardly any cheering for the short CXG clip (although it did get a laugh at the end when Rebecca rolled her eyes). I was so disappointed because the theater was clearly full of people who love musical theater, so why aren't they watching CXG, damn it?!

• Love 1

Greg's father is played by Robin Thomas, whom I first knew when he played Mark Singleton on Another World. I was thinking about whether to watch the Murphy Brown reboot and when my home assistant device couldn't figure out how to answer my question about the fall TV schedule, in desperation it volunteered the information that the father of Murphy's son Avery was her ex-husband Jake, and in that moment it suddenly came back to me that he had been played by Robin Thomas. I know that Avery will be a character in the reboot. I wonder if his father will appear.

Santino Fontana special guest on Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on PBS. Aired Sunday (12/23) but looks like it will repeat. PBS stations schedule things differently, so check listings. (Don't know if it's current or old; there's another one listed with Sutton Foster.)

It seems to be their 2014 Christmas concert that PBS stations can rerun annually. It's also available on DVD, possibly in extended form. Santino Fontana did three concerts with that choir within a year, which their website says is a record.

• Love 1

I went down a YouTube rabbit hole today and came across this video of Vincent singing "Waving Through a Window" from Dear Evan Hansen, backed up by the a cappella group the Filharmonic.  He sounds awesome!

If Vincent is still interested in theatre work, I hope he gets some once the show is over; I love him, and I'd like to hear more cast albums with him on them.

• Love 3
On 3/11/2019 at 3:11 PM, angora said:

I went down a YouTube rabbit hole today and came across this video of Vincent singing "Waving Through a Window" from Dear Evan Hansen, backed up by the a cappella group the Filharmonic.  He sounds awesome!

Thanks for posting that! I loved Filharmonic when they were on the Sing Off and I love Evan Hansen so this video was win win win for me!

• Love 1

Please enjoy Santino Fontana absolutely owning "I Think I Can Play This Part" from the Goodbye Girl musical (which originally featured Martin Short and Bernadette Peters) in this live rendition from 2017.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:37 PM, rejnel said:

Busy days ahead for Santino Fontana, with two big stage roles:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Santino-Fontana-Will-Fill-In-For-Gavin-Creel-in-HELLO-DOLLY-20180221

and https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/e2-80-98tootsie-e2-80-99-musical-heading-to-broadway-in-2019/ar-AAv85b9

I imagine he'll be great in both! I've seen him onstage before, and he was fantastic. But it wasn't a musical so I still have the thrill of hearing him sing live to look forward to.

Tootsie starts previews on Broadway March 29th. 

• Useful 1

Since watching the documentary about making the final episode, I'm starting to think about where the cast will go from here. Speculation?

I hope this is cool for this thread--truly sorry if not! Also, none of this is meant to be mean, even if my predictions are more limited for some people. It's more a question of Hollywood's limited imagination; I don't think there are too many opportunities that really let people fly all their talents like CXG.

I think Bloom and Champlin are the two break-outs who can write their own ticket from here. Champlin probably as a top Broadway name, though she'd also be great in another stylish TV comedy. (BTW, I've loved seeing her look so gorgeous the last several episodes. I know they were going for exhausted working mom for the earlier seasons, but nice they're letting her look beautiful as the show wraps up!)

David Hull--offbeat leading man in a new Bill Lawrence show?

Vella Lovell--great potential for indy films and romantic comedies. 

Vinny Rodriguez--well, more featured stage work for sure. He's a find, just hard to see where he'll go from here. 

Gabrielle Ruiz--Incredible dancer and super charismatic. Seems pretty delightful in person, maybe a judge on a dance or other reality show? 

Scott Michael Foster--I could see him on a Shonda Rhimes show or one of these "For the People" or "The Good Fight" shows with lots of attractive people emoting. 

Erick Lopez--I'd like to see him do drama. Maybe one of those Chicago --- shows?