Type keyword(s) to search

TGABS in the Media

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I bet they wished they had replaced Johnny and not Mary.

"The Great American Baking Show" is produced by Love Productions, which moved all their Bake Offs to UK Channel 4 so Mary wasn't going to be available to them.  I think they kept Johnny because they replaced everyone else from the original judges/hosts.  I wonder if they kept Johnny instead of replacing him with a female judge to prevent Paul's previous affair from being raised and overshadowing the show.  I personally would prefer a male/female judging duo.

2 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

"The Great American Baking Show" is produced by Love Productions, which moved all their Bake Offs to UK Channel 4 so Mary wasn't going to be available to them.  I think they kept Johnny because they replaced everyone else from the original judges/hosts.  I wonder if they kept Johnny instead of replacing him with a female judge to prevent Paul's previous affair from being raised and overshadowing the show.  I personally would prefer a male/female judging duo.

I understand that. I meant the news that broke a few days ago about Johnny being accused of sexual harassment  the week before they premiere which is obviously going to impact the press for the show's premiere.

• Love 1

I understood your point biakbiak. However, the news of Johnny's sexual harrassment charges was reported recently, well after the decision to change the hosts and the replacement judge.  On the other hand, Paul's infidelity was past history.  Hindsight is 20/20 so given what they knew at the time the decision was to have Paul replace Mary and pair him with Johnny was understandable, at least to me.  If they want to keep one of the judges American, I don't know who is an acknowledged American pastry chef other than Sherry Yard.  I thought Sherry did a good job on one of the baking competitions but obviously FN didn't since she hasn't returned to judge any of the FN baking competitions this year.

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

Isn't Christina Tossi (sp?) American? I'm not a huge fan of her on MasterChef (she over emotes IMHO) though. Though I have no idea of the complications with her contractual obligations.

Is Christina Tosi going to be on this show? Where did that info come from?

On 12/2/2017 at 4:05 AM, RealityCheck said:

Would it matter what channel their UK shows were on as to who they could use in the US? I actually thought that Mary was the one who decided not to do it again, no knowledge, just some assumptions on my part. Does anyone know if the show is going to be filmed in England again? I wondered if Mary wasn't on the show any more because they were going to film in the US & she didn't want to come over here.

I don't think dleighg meant she is going to be on the show.  I think she was just offering the name of an American pastry chef besides Johnny and Sherry Yard. 

I wondered if Mary wasn't on the show any more because they were going to film in the US & she didn't want to come over here.

That's the way I understood it.  I don't think it's so much that she has an aversion to America, just that she's in her 80s and all that the travel would involve is more effort and stress than she needs or wants.  

It seems to me that the network has two choices: scrap the show which is ready to go or show it Johnny and all.  I would not like to be the executive who had to make that decision.

8 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

I understood your point biakbiak. However, the news of Johnny's sexual harrassment charges was reported recently, well after the decision to change the hosts and the replacement judge.  On the other hand, Paul's infidelity was past history.  Hindsight is 20/20 so given what they knew at the time the decision was to have Paul replace Mary and pair him with Johnny was understandable, at least to me.  If they want to keep one of the judges American, I don't know who is an acknowledged American pastry chef other than Sherry Yard.  I thought Sherry did a good job on one of the baking competitions but obviously FN didn't since she hasn't returned to judge any of the FN baking competitions this year.

I am aware when the decision was made. Which is why I simply stated I bet they wish they could do it over.

On 12/5/2017 at 2:27 PM, GaT said:

Even separated it's only 6 episodes, what American show only has 6 episodes? 

One that's planned as a fill-in during the winter hiatus. In recent years they are trying to provide original programming during the hiatus instead of reruns like they always did in the past. Condensed down into 3 weeks is an interesting move though, I assume it's to make it a "holiday" show.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:45 PM, GaT said:

Would it matter what channel their UK shows were on as to who they could use in the US? I actually thought that Mary was the one who decided not to do it again, no knowledge, just some assumptions on my part. Does anyone know if the show is going to be filmed in England again? I wondered if Mary wasn't on the show any more because they were going to film in the US & she didn't want to come over here.

The UK channel doesn't matter per se, but Mary is no longer under contract with the production company that does the British and American shows since the change in channels. Not saying it's impossible for them to ask her to do the American one, but the change in channel does matter in that regard.

• Love 2

I'm thinking it was an excuse for poor ratings.  It is such a poor imitation of the original British show.  Maybe it would have gotten better but I honestly thought it was so bad that I had not planned on watching anyway.

• Love 3

I think it's the right choice (and the only one they could have made after asking Batali to step away) but I am still sad. I enjoy the show. They need to find some hosts that are not tools (read: neither Iuzzini nor Hollywood)

• Love 2

Goddammit!!  When will this stop?  Now it's killed a show I look forward to every holiday season.  I feel bad for the contestants, for the show hosts, even Paul Hollywood.  But especially the contestants, this was their show and it got taken from them.  Can't imagine them getting ready to watch themselves on tv this week only to get the word that ABC pulled the plug.  Jeez.

• Love 13

For the record, the ratings for the last week episodes were quite decent, at the least far from a disaster, especially considering that ABC's poor ratings in recent years.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I think it's the right choice (and the only one they could have made after asking Batali to step away) but I am still sad. I enjoy the show. They need to find some hosts that are not tools (read: neither Iuzzini nor Hollywood)

I will say, for the record, that I don't think they should excise Mario from any shows he may have pre-taped or never air them either--although that's likely a bit more difficult since they want to give the appearance of "liveness."  I don't think he should ever step foot on the set of The Chew again but like this show, they filmed what they filmed. 

9 minutes ago, sum said:

For the record, the ratings for the last week episodes were quite decent, at the least far from a disaster, especially considering that ABC's poor ratings in recent years.

The ratings for this show have never been crazy high but obviously ABC felt they'd been decent enough over the years, and the show cheap enough, to serve as the perfect mid-season fill-in.

• Love 1

I think the timing is stupid. They should have pulled the show when the story broke two weeks ago, not waited until a week after the premiere.  It's not like this suddenly snuck up on them - I think it's a kneejerk reaction to the Mario Batali revelations (who I hope watches his empire crumble around him, although I feel sorry for his wife and kids).

But I do agree with those who say pulling it now doesn't hurt anyone except the contestants.  Iuzzini has already cashed his check.  They should at least make the remaining episodes available online or On Demand or something for those of us who would like to watch them.

• Love 21

It's weird...I'm as appalled and disgusted as anyone about all of these horrible sexual misconduct reports.  And yet I'm so disappointed to read that ABC chose to pull the show off the air.  For goodness sakes, ABC, it's 3 episodes total (well, 6 combined on 3 nights).  Granted, I personally did not think Ayesha Curry was a good host -- seems perfectly nice but her voice is too flat and her rapport with Mr. Spice was not smooth.  Mr. Spice was completely a mismatch for this show.  I don't mind Johnny.  I actually prefer him over Paul.  Ever since Paul's affair with Marcela, I can barely tolerate him.  But I do tolerate Paul because I love the "Great...Baking Show" in its British and US forms.  So I'm sad to miss this unique baking-in-a-tent with cute little refrigerators and putting their bakes behind their photos and pastel bake stations and sometimes amazing creations.  I love these shows and will miss them.  Extra-extra-extra disappointing for those who worked hard to get on the show and must have been thrilled to participate and share on TV with their families and loved ones.  Bummmmmmmmed.

• Love 11

The sad part for some of us in America is that the selection of seasons of Great British Baking Show is kind of limited.  Netflix has some of the seasons but not all, PBS never reliably plays them in their entirety, and the new ones are on a network we can't get.  So this American version was a welcome substitute.

• Love 13

They should boot Iuzzini off any future series of this show, but pulling it now in some sort of panicky reaction only hurts the contestants and the shows fans. After all, it was only going to run another two weeks.

• Love 11

Couldn't they do some reshoots and replace Johnny with someone else, like swapping in Christopher Plummer for Kevin Spacey?  It's not like he was in every shot.

In all seriousness, they should air the remaining episode with disclaimers at the beginning, end, and every commercial break, saying they're airing it for the contestants, who did nothing wrong and are donating the ad revenue to a group fighting sexual harassment.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I can't imagine being a contestant who has done NOTHING wrong:

• has worked hard to excel in a hobby
  • left job and family, gone to England (probably for several weeks)
  • taped the shows
  • perhaps been the WINNER
  • and then been told that because one of the judges couldn't keep his hands to himself in an area totally unrelated to OUR show, "Oh, we're pulling the rest of the episodes, but we'll ANNOUNCE the winner at a later date."

I would be past furious.

I agree. The only ones hurt are the contestants. The show has been done, have a disclaimer, try to cut the guy out as much as possible. I was looking forward to this tonight. 

• Love 4
Just now, libgirl2 said:

I agree. The only ones hurt are the contestants. The show has been done, have a disclaimer, try to cut the guy out as much as possible. I was looking forward to this tonight. 

If they can blur out butt cracks and boobs on Survivor, why can't they cut out all of Johnny's dialog and then blur out his face if he's in the background of other shots?  So unfair to the contestants.

• Love 5

I highly doubt they have the budget for that, especially since they trotted everyone to England to film this in the first place.  In keeping with what other shows are doing when these revelations occur, it seems to me that ABC had little choices but to yank this.  

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1
On 12/3/2017 at 5:42 PM, dleighg said:

Isn't Christina Tossi (sp?) American? I'm not a huge fan of her on MasterChef (she over emotes IMHO) though. Though I have no idea of the complications with her contractual obligations.

There's also Duff Goldman, but he already hosts/judges a million Food Network shows and probably can't do something for ABC.

ABC should either have pulled the plug before the first episode or played the whole thing.  Playing it for a week and then pulling the show was stupid and makes ABC look like a network that can't be trusted.

• Love 21
27 minutes ago, Dobian said:

ABC should either have pulled the plug before the first episode or played the whole thing.  Playing it for a week and then pulling the show was stupid and makes ABC look like a network that can't be trusted.

It also got people invested in the show just to pull the rug out from under them. :( 

• Love 11

I feel so bad for the contestants!  All the work they did and no one will see it because ABC hired some slimeball to be a judge.  It's not their fault.  I really hope they go up online or something so we can see all the baking.

• Love 10

Son of a bitch!  Couldn't they just edit him out? It may take a bit but they could do it and run the rest of the show.  He isn't in every shot, doesn't speak every minute.  May have to run 2-1/2 episodes at once instead of 2, but still...it's something.  Or every time Scuzzy said something, have a voice over "the second judge reported the bake had a soggy bottom," while showing us said soggy bottom.  We could still see the baking and contestants. 

Or at least run the rest of the episodes On Demand so that people that still want to watch it can seek it out.   

This sucks.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, J-Man said:

I guess someone at ABC didn't get the memo, as their website still has a page for the show, and today's listings still show it as being broadcast from 9-11 PM tonight.

Maybe they changed their minds with all the people screaming at them in texts and tweets.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Maybe they changed their minds with all the people screaming at them in texts and tweets.

I think the online team at ABC just sucks, Mario was still all over their social media for a day or two.

• Love 1

It would be really hard to edit Iuzzini out of this, since he stands next to Paul every time they visit a work station or judge a bake.  Even last week I only remember a few THs with Paul, none with Johnny that could easily be cut.   And Paul, of course, has had his issues in the past, although he seems to have ridden out the storm.

I'm not terribly unhappy about the pull, because I was going to force myself to watch this poor imitation of TGBBS, and now I don't have to.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It would be really hard to edit Iuzzini out of this, since he stands next to Paul every time they visit a work station or judge a bake.  Even last week I only remember a few THs with Paul, none with Johnny that could easily be cut. 

I agree. Johnny is just too prominent to cut out successfully.

A disclaimer would have been a better choice, but the networks don't want to deal with the social media outrage a minute longer than they need to.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I agree. Johnny is just too prominent to cut out successfully.

A disclaimer would have been a better choice, but the networks don't want to deal with the social media outrage a minute longer than they need to.

As there were rumors about him for awhile, why in the heck did they hire him? 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I just sent feedback to ABC letting them know this doesn't penalize Johnny as he got paid, it penalizes the contestants and the viewers. 

I just sent the very same message. Punish everyone except the offender.  That makes sense.

All ABC needed to do was run a message at the beginning of each show and then a periodic crawl throughout the show explaining that the allegations came too late for them to investigate, but they didn't want to deprive viewers and contestants of the pleasure of watching the competition because of one person's bad behavior.  But that would've taken some actual thought.

• Love 16