Type keyword(s) to search

TGABS in the Media

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The winner's statement is lovely.

Her grace and generosity in a situation not of her making that deprived her of recognition for her achievements is inspiring.  I hope she ends up getting more opportunities than she would've gotten had the show aired.  Since I haven't heard a thing about any of the previous winners since the show aired, maybe the publicity will help her.

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, Kohola3 said:

Probably because zero tolerance is zero tolerance. Otherwise why fire anyone - just make an announcement at the beginning of any meeting, congressional session, or program that one of the people is a bad person but the show must go on or other people might be inconvenienced.

Zero tolerance would've meant not hiring Iuzzini in the first place, or, if the allegations came out after this season was filmed but before it was aired (which I believe is the case), not airing any of the episodes.  But either way Iuzzini has already made his money off of it, so not airing the rest of the episodes isn't punishing him in any way.

• Love 3

Wow a 90 second highlight clip.  ABC really showed how much they care about this show.  They could have easily cobbled together abridged 15 - 20 versions of each episode and streamed them.  This is why the major networks lose more and more people to Netflix and Amazon and cable.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

But either way Iuzzini has already made his money off of it, so not airing the rest of the episodes isn't punishing him in any way.

This is what bothers me. Innocent people are being "punished" for his actions. He's walking away with his paycheck. He doesn't give a shit if this airs or not. But it would have meant a lot to the contestants and it would have been nice for the audience. And now ABC has to find something to replace it and is losing money on it all while Johnny sits back and cashes his paycheck.

How, exactly, is not airing an already taped and paid for program, in any way hurting the bastard who got it pulled?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

, exactly, is not airing an already taped and paid for program, in any way hurting the bastard who got it pulled?

I don't think its abbout hurting him, it's about not worrying about bleeding even more money because advertisers and the network don't want to associated with him.

• Love 1

It's also possible that his contract had his money paid out in stages, i.e., when he signed, when the shows were taped, when they were aired. He might have lost some cash, even if it's not the entire amount.

He's also lost his reputation, which should mean something.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, biakbiak said:

I don't think its abbout hurting him, it's about not worrying about bleeding even more money because advertisers and the network don't want to associated with him.

Then they shouldn't have aired any of it in the first place.  They knew about the allegations before they aired the first two episodes.

• Love 8

See, that is why I think cancelling it was the wrong call. Him being fired, yes, 100% get rid of the jerk, but cancelling the show doesn't hurt him, he'd have been fired even if the show continued, but it is hurting all the contestants who spent their time and effort being on the show with the reasonable expectation of getting a certain level of exposure, possibly catching the eye of potential employers. This was an opportunity that was taken from them when they did absolutely nothing wrong. And it is really, really sad that anyone would think that airing the show equals supporting what the jerk did. It would have equaled supporting these home cooks in their dreams. But this is America, where the lowest common denominator is what we play to so yeah, I'm sure if they had aired the rest there would have been protests and blogs about how ABC supports sexism and harassment. People can be such brainless morons sometimes.

• Love 14
17 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but apparently ABC will try to lure Mary back to the show. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5257819/Paul-Hollywood-Mary-Berry-reunite-Bake-Off.html

She would join Paul Hollywood, who bosses at the ABC Network are still backing to return as a judge on the US show despite poor ratings.

It has poor ratings because it's not on, you have to actually broadcast the show to get ratings ABC.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, GaT said:

She would join Paul Hollywood, who bosses at the ABC Network are still backing to return as a judge on the US show despite poor ratings.

It has poor ratings because it's not on, you have to actually broadcast the show to get ratings ABC.

That, and I don't think they choose the right challenges for the American version.

• Love 1

This is sorta related to TGABS, but not directly. I just watched episode 7 of Top Chef, Olympic Dreams. Afterward I went to the forum to read the comments, & one of them was about how the show removed John Besh (another chef who has been accused of sexual harassment) from the episode. He was one of the judges. I never noticed anything strange & had no idea he was there. If I didn't read the comment, I never would have known, so it can be done. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GaT said:

This is sorta related to TGABS, but not directly. I just watched episode 7 of Top Chef, Olympic Dreams. Afterward I went to the forum to read the comments, & one of them was about how the show removed John Besh (another chef who has been accused of sexual harassment) from the episode. He was one of the judges. I never noticed anything strange & had no idea he was there. If I didn't read the comment, I never would have known, so it can be done. 

They also removed him judging an episode of Iron Chef Showdown, leaving Giadia as the only judge. It was slightly odd, but they hid it very well.

If I didn't read the comment, I never would have known, so it can be done. 

He was one of seven judges on that one challenge with a format that was extremely different from typical TC challenges and really different than TGABS. The TC editors who had months to edit also lucked out because of the way it was set up and would not have been the same as editing out one of two judges who don't sit at a table but walk around and interact a lot more, over multiple episodes, add in it was a holiday show and was scheduled for a set time period it isn't the same scenario.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

ABC will not air the most recent season that was pulled and they're discussing what to do with the franchise. Sounds like there is a tiny chance Paul and Mary will return as judges but I'm not holding out hope.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5604507/Paul-Hollywoods-Great-American-Baking-GBBO-stars-series-never-aired.html

The article is dated today, but it has this:

In the end, ABC decided to go forward with airing the third season of The Great American Baking Show, which debuted last week.

But ABC pulled the show off the air on Wednesday, a day after Mic published a second report, citing four more people who had either been personally harassed by Iuzzini or witnessed his misbehavior. The second episode was set to air on Thursday.

The show was on & got pulled back in December 2017, not last week, so I think they just reprinted an article that ran in December.

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

@GaT, oh goodness, I did not realize that this was an old article. I thought maybe they were still kicking the can about showing the rest of the season. My apologies! 

Don't feel bad, that's exactly what they were trying to do, there's absolutely no other reason for them to republish a 4 months old article.

So excited not only for a new season (and hopefully we'll be able to see the whole thing) but also judge Sherry Yard.  I love her.  She's judged a lot on FN.  She always knows what she's talking about and yet gives good critics on the food.  Can't wait!

• Love 3

I feel awful for her.  So unfair the way everything was handled.  And Iuzzini really has proved himself to be a terrible person.  He didn't have to admit guilt re those accusations to have reached out to her to say he was sorry that something he'd been accused of had bounced back on her in such a negative and undeserved way.  That's what a fully formed human would do.

I did know who he was before this show aired, unlike a lot of the contestants.  He was a very prominent figure in the NY pastry scene.  And I liked him.  Not the first time I've been wrong about someone.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I feel awful for her.  So unfair the way everything was handled.  And Iuzzini really has proved himself to be a terrible person.  He didn't have to admit guilt re those accusations to have reached out to her to say he was sorry that something he'd been accused of had bounced back on her in such a negative and undeserved way.  That's what a fully formed human would do.

I did know who he was before this show aired, unlike a lot of the contestants.  He was a very prominent figure in the NY pastry scene.  And I liked him.  Not the first time I've been wrong about someone.

Me too.  I had seen him on a few shows and he seemed like a real nice guy.  Just goes to show you can’t trust anyone, or anything, on tv.

Edited by Destiny74
9 hours ago, GaT said:

Did anything happen to Johnny Iuzzini besides the show being yanked? I feel like he was accused, & then nothing happened. 

There wasn't really much that could happen to him.  The four women who accused him worked for him while he was the pastry chef at Jean-Georges.  He left that job in 2011.  While he was on this show, he didn't work in a restaurant.  In fact, I think he left restaurants because he didn't like the person he was there. (He admitted to some of the accusations made, although he just framed it as "bawdy" behavior rather than harassment the women experienced. )

But anyway, the accusations cost him his television job but looking at his Twitter account shows he's still making appearances and I guess he has a chocolate thing he's doing. So his career as a celeb chef was cut short but otherwise he's keeping on keeping on.

From the ABC website:

"The Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition," based on the hit U.K. series "The Great British Bake Off," returns THURSDAY, DEC. 6 (9:00 - 11:00 p.m. EST).

Bold is mine. It looks like the show will be aired in 2-hour increments, which makes sense since there's only 4 weeks in December but the show will be over before it gets started.

THE BAKERS
Molly Brodak
Nick Bryan
Hector de Haro
JC Gregg
Vallery Lomas
Antwine Love
Cindy Maliniak
Bryan McKinnon
Jessie Salzburn
Father Kyle Schnippel

• Love 3
4 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

From the ABC website:

Bold is mine. It looks like the show will be aired in 2-hour increments, which makes sense since there's only 4 weeks in December but the show will be over before it gets started.

Did they ask back a bunch from last year?  The names ring somewhat familiar to me.

43 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

That links to a write up about last year.  It even mentions Johnny as judge.

Yes, the link in my post was from last year and the same photos were used in the ABC link above. I'm not sure if they really brought the same bakers or just haven't updated the page yet.

Come to think of it, it's actually a bit too early to announce the lineup.

9 hours ago, sum said:

Yes, the link in my post was from last year and the same photos were used in the ABC link above. I'm not sure if they really brought the same bakers or just haven't updated the page yet.

Come to think of it, it's actually a bit too early to announce the lineup.

I noticed what you intended after I posted.  Sorry about that.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:03 PM, meep.meep said:

Too bad they scheduled it opposite Top Chef.  If they'd gone with another day, they could have had all the cooking show afficianados to themselves.

Yes! I was so bummed they were on at exactly the same time.

• Love 1

Has anyone heard about plans to do another version of this soon? I'm not sure why this would be called "Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition". It's a "holiday edition" every year, so I'm not sure why you'd add it to this season unless there's plans to expand the series and add another version.

The GREAT AMERICAN BAKING SHOW: HOLIDAY EDITION Premieres Thursday December 12, 9PM To 11PM

The heat is on when 10 bakers enter the tent in the two-hour season five premiere with "Cake and Bread Week".  "The Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition" features bakers from across the country battling through 24 total challenges with six challenges throughout each two-hour themed episode.

I shouldn't complain but I wish ABC would air a one-hour episode per week so I could enjoy the series more.  Or if that is too difficut for the network, show one episode on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which is what CREATE is doing now with re-airing GBBO.

• Love 5