Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I definitely saw people's breath a few times during the interviews. The low temperature in Sep-Oct can go into the 40s and even the highs aren't that high, maybe in the 60s, so I don't find the coats and bonfires outlandish. A little exaggerated, maybe, but even on GBBO, I've seen contestants wearing jackets to the tent.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

I agree about loving the British accents. Some of the regional accents you hear on the British show are so unusual. As Americans we don't often get to hear an undiluted Welsh accent or whatever. I also find myself cringing at the American accents on the American show. Somehow I am more aware of the harsh R's and flatness of our voices.

Edited by lidarose9
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

ah man. I was (somewhat) enjoying this. Gotta find something else to waste time on.

I know. I was looking forward to it tonight.  I feel for the contestants. It isn't their fault this happened. 

Darn! I really like this show.  I haven't been looking at the forum/boards because I don't get to watch it until almost a week after it airs and because (ironically) I didn't want to find out anything about any contestant's personal life that would make me dislike them.  

I fully support the #metoo movement - too many men have gotten away with too much for too long - and I understand why they are pulling the rest of the season.  However, I hope ABC at least puts the remaining episodes online or on demand for the sake of the fans and the contestants.  And I hope the show comes back next year, without Johnny, of course.  Find another American pastry chef or change the name back to Great Holiday Baking Show and have Mary and Paul as judges (I vote for the latter).

• Love 8

I just realized that I hadn't heard another thing about Johnny since they pulled the show. I can't even find anything by Googling. What happened? People made accusations, the show was pulled, & then...nothing? 

On 9/16/2018 at 9:41 PM, GaT said:

I just realized that I hadn't heard another thing about Johnny since they pulled the show. I can't even find anything by Googling. What happened? People made accusations, the show was pulled, & then...nothing? 

Unfortunately that's the way it normally goes. Whether the accusations are true or not we hardly ever find out. People loose jobs and reputations and then the story dies. Look at Mario Batali.

• Love 2

I’ve been watching the current season after getting hooked on the Paul and Mary original. I was surprised to see how faithful it is to the UK version in tone and presentation. I expected it to be quickly edited and full of drama like typical American reality shows. Since it’s had so much turnover I tried to find older episodes to see the difference. The version on CBS with Jeff Foxworthy was just as I expected full of drama, quick editing and severely dumbed down. I did like Paul’s co judge though and wouldn’t mind her popping up again. Then I saw Mary with Johnny and it is always delightful seeing Mary Berry but Johnny didn’t work for me. The current lineup of Sue and Paul doesn’t work either. Her personality is just too muted and she doesn’t add much to the judging. I’d keep everything the same except try and find a suitable replacement for her if this comes back. 

On 12/15/2018 at 12:25 PM, Reality police said:

Unfortunately that's the way it normally goes. Whether the accusations are true or not we hardly ever find out. People loose jobs and reputations and then the story dies. Look at Mario Batali.

The story with Batali isn’t dead. (Grub Street did a follow-up on his businesses 2 weeks ago.) I still see periodic headlines into new details about how bad the culture was at his businesses. With someone like Batali, lying low is a way to hope people still go to his restaurants without realizing they are lining his pockets.  If one is guilty of the accusations, getting people to stop talking about you is a win. 

I feel worse for the winner who never got to reap the rewards of her win than I do for the Judge who paid a price for his own actions.

• Love 4