Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: 205

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I thought Cole's interactions with Luisa were strained and awkward. It didn't really give me hope that their eventual wedding is a great love match either, sadly. But who knows -- maybe I'm wrong. I'd like to see someone be happy in their damn relationship.

I agree with this and was not, myself, charmed by Luisa at all. She seemed a bit hard in her interactions with Cole. But here's a more important issue: Cole goes over to the naked chatterbox's house to screw her and runs into Luisa at the front door strangely. What are the chances? Then Luisa asks why he is there and he coughs and looks upstairs and then heads up. Luisa knows he is there to fuck the woman who's kid she is nannying for....at that moment I would be utterly turned off and repelled by the guy, I don't care how cute he  was. So I find it dumbfounding that later Luisa was into him at The End and giving him her number. Oh yea, let's not forget she already slept with his sociopathic brother. Just...ew on so many levels, her and Cole. I hope badly that she is not who he ended up marrying,

• Love 6

I think I might be the only forum member who is not repelled by any of the major 4 characters. I see some good and bad in each. Not sure what that says about me, lol. Regardless, I appreciate all the great analysis here- so many interesting points of view!

But would it be "downstate" to someone from Buffalo?

Probably. I don't live there. I'm in Brooklyn, so of course Cold Springs is going to be upstate for me.

The whole "upstate" conversation could go on endlessly. There are people who think that anything north of the city is upstate. It's not technically true but it's a matter of perception, and there is no definitive answer.

I've enjoyed your tenacity, SlackerInc. I can get drawn in to curious issues of semantics as well.

My understanding has always been that "upstate" and "downstate" are used more commonly as directional signifiers than geographical, though both directionality and geography are implied to some degree, at the same time.

I would bet that someone from Albany would say that someone from Cold Spring lived "downstate," even if that may not be technically (geographically) accurate according to your source. 

Edited by Mei
  • Love 1

At this point, I think the resolution of Scotty's murder should be a group effort and everyone should take turns running him over with their cars.

I love this so much, like the scene on Airplane when everyone lines up to slap the hysterical woman.  

• Love 5

When Robert told Allison that Yvonne was firing her and replacing her with a writer from the workshop, my first impression was that Yvonne was bringing in a young man who would be her protege/lover and that this was something she did on a period basis.  Am I the only one who got that impression?  I haven't seen other comments to that effect, and I had actually forgotten that that was my first impression until now.

I think I might be the only forum member who is not repelled by any of the major 4 characters. I see some good and bad in each. Not sure what that says about me, lol. Regardless, I appreciate all the great analysis here- so many interesting points of view!

I've enjoyed your tenacity, SlackerInc. I can get drawn in to curious issues of semantics as well.

My understanding has always been that "upstate" and "downstate" are used more commonly as directional signifiers than geographical, though both directionality and geography are implied to some degree, at the same time.

I would bet that someone from Albany would say that someone from Cold Spring lived "downstate," even if that may not be technically (geographically) accurate according to your source.

I'm with you on not hating any of the four POV characters. But I would say my source indicated that Cold Spring was in fact downstate, or at least not upstate. :)

• Love 1

I'm lucky enough not to have toxic people like Bruce and Margaret in my life, but I imagine you can only swallow so much before it spills over in front of the children.  Twenty years of those two - and Margaret Jr. and Margaret III, and I'd be driven to murder. Yes, yes, it's Noah's version and he's a big liar face.  But Helen's parents (and Whitney) come off just as bad in her version.  I guess the argument is Noah should never have married Helen if his in-laws treated him this way.  Maybe Helen should have stood up for her husband and told her parents to back off, or perhaps she felt the same way, so let them be the bad guys.  I don't know.  Helen seemed to have her eye on the prize, and perhaps she feared alienating her parents and the millions she would inherit at their deaths.  One of the reasons I do fault Helen in how her parents treated Noah, is that she showed no fear or intimidation around her parents.  She didn't seem like the poor little rich girl who didn't get enough love as a child.  I would have respected Helen more if she just told that toxic duo to fuck off - at least once. 

I have toxic in-laws. They aren't wealthy like Bruce and Margaret Butler but they have a lot of money and my family is solidly middle class. They like to make thinly veiled barbs at me and my family all with a smile on. So, this will win me no points, but a part of me does/did sympathize with Noah and why he was drawn to Alison/having an affair to escape his feelings of less-than and worthlessness around his in-laws and sometimes even wife. To feel like he could be with someone who he could relate to, who got him. I agree wholeheartedly that I wish just once Helen would have really stood up to her god-awful parents. You can see where Whitney gets her horrible, entitled personality from-Bruce and Margaret.

• Love 8

I agree with this and was not, myself, charmed by Luisa at all. She seemed a bit hard in her interactions with Cole. But here's a more important issue: Cole goes over to the naked chatterbox's house to screw her and runs into Luisa at the front door strangely. What are the chances? Then Luisa asks why he is there and he coughs and looks upstairs and then heads up. Luisa knows he is there to fuck the woman who's kid she is nannying for....at that moment I would be utterly turned off and repelled by the guy, I don't care how cute he  was. So I find it dumbfounding that later Luisa was into him at The End and giving him her number. Oh yea, let's not forget she already slept with his sociopathic brother. Just...ew on so many levels, her and Cole. I hope badly that she is not who he ended up marrying,

Well to be fair, Luisa looked less than thrilled to see Cole when he first showed up at the boat to see Scotty. And then she tried calling a cab even though he was standing right there with a cab, as he pointed out to her. Only when it looked like she really couldn't get cell service did she agree to go with him and then he offered to get her bag which I guess she thought was nice enough of him. It seemed their conversation in the cab was what softened her a tiny bit but things were still careful between them, which in fairness, sort of matches the impression that things were awkward because that makes sense for two people who don't really know each other and are slowly feeling the other out.

I think what really sealed things for Luisa was when Cole mentioned his son being dead after she made what she didn't realize was a tasteless joke. I'm guessing she saw him as more sympathetic and was willing to get to know him. As for the rich woman she works for, well as she pointed out to Cole, that wasn't dating for him and neither was what happened between her and Scotty. Yeah weird it's his brother but I've seen weirder on shows and again this clearly didn't seem like something she was particularly happy about. 

on reflection I realize I have not touched Cole's encounter with Allison, and that is because I have a bad bad feeling about it, based on his rosy picture of his last run in with her versus her unsettling one. and I agree that just because Allison is a flake we should take his version of things as gospel. At best he was really unwise in turning the invitation to cuddle into sex. At worst...well I have a feeling we are going to get an Allison flashback on this.

If you combine the two viewpoints when Cole was waving around the axe last time they met, we have one guy who doesn't know how menacing he is when he is drunk, and one woman who is very bad at executing a firm "get the fuck out of here".

I can see where this comment is going and frankly if the writers went there, I'd quit this show in a heartbeat. As it stands, I absolutely believe Cole's account based on a number of things. Yes, Alison had that memory where Cole was wildly different in her version versus his. That said even while Cole was a jerk to her in that memory, he stayed and fixed her toiler while she let him and then he very calmly left, even managed a polite hello to Yvonne and then brought Gabriel's things to her. Nothing about that suggested Cole would rape or violently sexually assault Alison. 

Further, we know by Alison's account in present day that she and Noah went to Cole's wedding which Noah apparently still thinks was strange and Alison says gently, "he was just trying to be nice." I'm sorry, there is no way I'd buy Alison attending Cole's wedding after he sexually assaulted her or attacked her. And of course there was that exchange between them at the courtroom.

Finally, we have already seen Alison sleep with someone else because she felt so completely low and dirty because of Noah. When she got a smack of reality that she was indeed just a mistress, she slept with Oscar. So I certainly don't think it's that hard to believe in a moment of feeling cheap and like people see her as a slut and feeling like she was basically alone, she reached out to Cole. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I'm sorry, there is no way I'd buy Alison attending Cole's wedding after he sexually assaulted her or attacked her. And of course there was that exchange between them at the courtroom.

Playing devil's advocate here: Alison did sleep with Cole after he brandished that gun, whether pointed at her or the Solloways it still must have been traumatic. Yet there she was in this episode in bed with the guy. Considering the drug dealing, it's fair to assume they have protected each other even after questionable deeds. For the record, I don't believe Cole sexually assaulted Alison. Noah though would probably believe it, if given a chance.

I agree wholeheartedly that I wish just once Helen would have really stood up to her god-awful parents. 

Me too. Noah was hasty to collect his kids and leave his sister's house. I just wish that Helen would have threatened or done something similar when Margaret disparaged Noah in front of the whole family. "Mother, you're not going to see me or your grandkids unless you stop disrespecting my husband." But 20 years in, if Bruce and Margaret were still treating Noah like this, then Helen had long since decided on which side her bread is buttered. 

• Love 4

I'm with you on not hating any of the four POV characters. But I would say my source indicated that Cold Spring was in fact downstate, or at least not upstate. :)

Nice to know I'm not alone & point well taken. :)

• Love 1

I tried to find a post about this, but couldn't. When Henry (when he was "firing" her) said to Alison, "I think you know why" what was he talking about? Was it because Yvonne read Noah's book and made some connection that she didn't like? Yvonne is a book publisher. What was the big shocker?

I thought that maybe he didn't say it, but Alison remembered it that way. She was feeling angry and humiliated and her mind went to her feeling judged as well. As we don't get Robert's point of view, we may never know.

Or, he really could have been saying that she should understand that she has been assessed as a threat to the marriage.

I think Alison feels some guilt over falling in love with a married man, and might feel that everyone is judging her on that basis. When she and Noah had dinner with Robert and Yvonne, she felt like they were being accepted as a couple, as the 'lovebirds' she wants to be. To lose that acceptance was devastating.

• Love 10

Me too. Noah was hasty to collect his kids and leave his sister's house. I just wish that Helen would have threatened or done something similar when Margaret disparaged Noah in front of the whole family. "Mother, you're not going to see me or your grandkids unless you stop disrespecting my husband." But 20 years in, if Bruce and Margaret were still treating Noah like this, then Helen had long since decided on which side her bread is buttered. 

Totally agree. I do think Helen loved Noah, but I also think she was not about to live the life he could afford to give her. If they had to live on his teacher's salary and she actually had to care that her store has been losing money for two years, if she couldn't buy a $3M brownstone with her trust fund and was instead living in a house like the one Noah's sister lives in ... I just don't think she'd go for that, at all - and I think Noah and her parents know it. She and Noah built a life that is entirely dependent on her parents' money and she's just not going to give that up, and that includes letting her parents speak to her husband any kind of way.

• Love 5

I thought that maybe he didn't say it, but Alison remembered it that way. She was feeling angry and humiliated and her mind went to her feeling judged as well. As we don't get Robert's point of view, we may never know.

Or, he really could have been saying that she should understand that she has been assessed as a threat to the marriage.

I think Alison feels some guilt over falling in love with a married man, and might feel that everyone is judging her on that basis. When she and Noah had dinner with Robert and Yvonne, she felt like they were being accepted as a couple, as the 'lovebirds' she wants to be. To lose that acceptance was devastating.

Nailed it.

While I do find the way that plot has developed with Robert and Yvonne to be interesting and plausible, I am sad that we are not apparently going to get more of the kinds of dinners we saw them enjoy together. As I said at the time, that reminded me of a certain kind of indie movie, and I lament that they have burned up that type of low key, intellectual plot possibility so quickly.

• Love 4

Well, I do feel bad for Allison that her potentially interesting and educational job with the neighbors turned sour.  And I agree with those who say Allison acted unprofessionally in this episode we are shown.  (I don't think her outfit was so wildly inappropriate however; it is a resort community, it was going to be a hot day, and part of her duties involve sitting down on the floor with Robert and helping with his exercises.)  BUT.  I have learned as a boss that sometimes you need to spell things out, even if you think the supervisee shouldn't need it spelled out.  Yvonne is smart enough to know what she was hiring: a relatively unsophisticated young woman with no similar work experience or background to the people Yvonne usually hires and/or pals around with.  If Yvonne wanted to make the thing work, all she had to do was sit Allison down and say "Here are my expectations.  Please dress [this way] when you come to work.  Bring a notepad and a pen when you see me first thing in the morning so you can write down what I want you to do."  Etcetera.  Allison was eager to please and to learn; she would have done exactly what she was asked.

Instead, Yvonne just jumped on Allison's back and found fault with everything she did.  So: Yvonne didn't want it to work.  Personally I think that's an immature reaction from a literary agent who has presumably seen (and read) it all.  Really??  A character who may be based somewhat on Allison is portrayed as a sex goddess in a novel written by her lover, therefore Allison cannot be tolerated in Yvonne's house? 

For reasons that I and others have already articulated (tolerating awful behavior by horrid parents and warped children), I have limited sympathy for Helen, even during her crack-up.  And god, the show is continually telling us how cool and desirable she is, stop it show!!  I am so tired of scenes like the one in which Max goes on and on about how he always knew Helen was too good for him, and she sits there saying nothing, looking around the room, like this is just her due.  Ugh.  And her stupid-ass store (which, to be fair to the show, I think we are meant to see as stupid-ass.)  If Helen wants some autonomy in her life, why doesn't she get a job that makes her family some money, or if not, then volunteer for a charity or organization that helps less fortunate people?!?  God she bugs me.

And Noah:  way to throw tantrums and drag your kids from place to place until you end up sticking them in a motel in Jersey City.  Awesome parenting, douche.

• Love 5

About who hates which characters.

Alison is the Eva Braun to Noah's Hitler.

Helen is Franz Von Papen, that moronic child of privilege who thought he could control that monster, but who ultimately unleashed him on the world.

Cole is Captain America.

OK, perhaps not, but I'm thinking we need threads for the main characters since it's getting more and more difficult to limit discussion of them to the episode at hand.

• Love 1

This was the best episode yet. I don't have Showtime so have to wait until the weekend when I am at my friend's so I just saw it. This is getting goooood....  sorry I am so late to the party I still have to read all your comments. I love this website, this is the first place I go after I watch my shows. 

• Love 3

About who hates which characters.

Alison is the Eva Braun to Noah's Hitler.

Helen is Franz Von Papen, that moronic child of privilege who thought he could control that monster, but who ultimately unleashed him on the world.

Cole is Captain America.

OK, perhaps not, but I'm thinking we need threads for the main characters since it's getting more and more difficult to limit discussion of them to the episode at hand.

I love all of these comparisons, especially the one for Cole. I'm a huge fan of JJ's work on Dawson's Creek and Fringe, so he's pretty much the reason I'm sticking with this show. 

As for threads for the main characters, please feel free to create them! 

And god, the show is continually telling us how cool and desirable she is, stop it show!!

They have? Other than Max, who it was established since last season, has had a thing for Helen since college, who exactly is going on about how cool and desirable she is? And where is the show showing that - when she's looking at herself in the mirror and seeing herself as a younger version of who her mother inevitably becomes? When she's at a dinner table with four kids looking stressed, tired and haggard because they're all miserable?

And Helen's certainly not the one who had a guy dump his wife and four kids for her, gave another a massive boner from just talking about being naked with her lover, had the creepy weirdo in the town wanting her for years and and an estranged husband who still welcomed her with open arms even after she cheated on him and left him for said man. Helen is not the female character on the show I'd say is being sold as so desirable.

Alison may see herself as sad and a victim in her memories but clearly that sadness is a turn on for guys considering the number of men in the two seasons who have wanted her and/or been attracted to her. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Has anyone noticed how thin on top by the part Helen's hair is? And this was even before the highlights were left in too long.

Post-chemo hair can grow back with different texture, and even different colour.  My cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer at the same age Maura was.  Her hair had been an extremely thick auburn.  It's now brown and fine textured.  The chemo also sent her into early menopause, which can cause thinning hair.  There's always thinning at a part if you never change your part, and with all the heat styling she's probably getting on set, Maura's hair is bound to thin.  I also think so many actresses have extensions these days, that those who don't look like their hair is very thin.

• Love 1

So Alison was offended by the way Noah depicts her in the book and the way she was treated and the assumptions made by Yvonne and Robert. Well I feel like she proved their points at the end by sleeping with Cole. She should have left it at cuddling if there's more to her than that.

It's the fault of the writers too. I think the scene would have been so much better if Cole and Alison just laid there quiet together, spooning and holding hands. It would speak to their long relationship and the experiences they've been through - the bond that endures.

• Love 3

I can see where this comment is going and frankly if the writers went there, I'd quit this show in a heartbeat. As it stands, I absolutely believe Cole's account based on a number of things. Yes, Alison had that memory where Cole was wildly different in her version versus his. That said even while Cole was a jerk to her in that memory, he stayed and fixed her toiler while she let him and then he very calmly left, even managed a polite hello to Yvonne and then brought Gabriel's things to her. Nothing about that suggested Cole would rape or violently sexually assault Alison. 

Yeah, I don't think they would take it that far, necessarily. What I was picturing (after re-watching a couple times) was more like this:

1.. Alison dozes off in bed

2. Drunk Cole sees her, and is overcome with drunken sentiment of the non-erotic variety. He climbs in bed to cuddle.

3. Alison wakes up. She is caught off guard She makes some feeble fumfuh comments about how it's all a mistake. Because she is Alison, she is terrified of actually setting a boundary.

4. Cole breaks into ​​wet weepy sobs and confesses how much  misses her. He makes a clumsy pass or two.

5. Alison goes "fuck it, if do it maybe he'll be satisfied and go away."

Which is pretty much reluctant sex, but which of us hasn't agreed to dumb sex? It sucks, and it's bad,  but it's not assault  and I can see someone making much more of it than it is. A la Cole.

• Love 2

I'm still most curious about where Noah was, and why he wasn't returning any of Allison's calls.  At one point, Allison told Yvonne that he was with his sick child, but since Helen was back at home and the kids were there when Allison went to their house, where exactly was Noah?  Still in that motel?  Alone?  With no phone? 

Allison's attire was appropriate for a day at the park, but bare arms and legs with shorty-short cut-offs at work is not appropriate and would fuel any misgivings Yvonne would maybe get from reading about how Allison was "sex." 

Luisa is pretty, but I didn't think she was so great otherwise.  Anyone who has sex with Scotty (or Oscar) is no prize herself. 

• Love 2

i'm waiting for her badass to kick in, if the producers allow it. In Spanish speaking roles, at least, she is a dynamic, nuanced, fearless actor. If they relegate her to Cole's Real Doll, they are wasting her.

Willing to bet the wedding is of the green card variety. I can see Cole and Luisa making great business partners rather than being soul mates.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 1

As for Alison not dressing professionally.  She wasn't being treated as a true assistant.  Her job was to workout her hubby's knee, take long walks with him to go kill his loved dog, ride her bike to town and pick up things and then serve the family a meal.  Those things are house staff, not someone who is your assistance in most circumstances.  I do think Yvonne might have been taken a back by reading how Noah described her and maybe thought she jumped the gun.  I don't think that she is concerned about Alison stealing her aged husband.  I think she might just not want "that type" of woman working for her.  

I enjoyed Helen's talk with Alison.  I liked it mainly because it wasn't about reminding Alison of what a whore she was, but instead gave Alison a window picture into what it is like to share a life with Noah once the novelty wears off.  

Damn, it is the season of overly chatty sex.  God lord.  That was awkward.  And then to have Cole who clearly was attracted to Luisa since the first time he saw her....who watched him to come to the house for the chatty sex and then he sees her just after she has sex with Scotty.  Of course she is the wife.  It makes no sense for the show to spend so much time on her if she isn't the future wife of Cole Lockhart.  And then Cole come homes and find Alison all in their bed.  Alison really is a selfish son of a bitch when it comes to Cole.  She knows what it did to him whens he left him.  She saw him the last time he came to the house and what a broken man he is now.  So, she is feeling lonely and unloved....so she goes to see Cole.  She then tells this sad story about no one seeing her other than as walking sex...to the one person who probably saw her most and she left for the guy who wrote her as walking sex.  Nice lady.  Cole then made her feel better...and him too for at least the moment.  Of course, I think they both know she is going back to Noah...when the light of day comes.  

I also think it is interesting that the lawyer isn't playing up that Scotty is a drug dealer.  Any half decent lawyer would be throwing that out left and right as reasonable doubt.  I also think that Whitney did the deed, however it can't be as obvious as that, can it???

• Love 1

This was my least favourite episode of the series because:

1. Every minute of Alison's memories is coloured with a "The world is against me and men view me as an object!" lens. Very tiresome.

2. Helen's rant scene was incredibly unrealistic. I mean, why would Alison go there of all places? It was so forced...just so the writers could give Helen a speech against a cheating husband.

3. The boner situation was ridiculous. Only Alison could take that in the worst possible way. All season, I have listened to friends and reviewers say that Robert is a creep. All he ever was was nice, but since he's old and balding then he's obviously a pervert. The boner just added fuel to that ridiculous fire. Heaven forbid an old man being nice to someone and having a functioning penis. PERVERT!

4. Alison going back to Cole was a regressive plot that ever so conveniently kept two of the main characters linked. She gave up on her new man pretty quickly, and it didn't feel realistic enough to me.

5. Cole and Luisa could have been really interesting, but of course they fell for each other after watching each of them have sex with someone else. It's tough to build a romantic plot out of that mess.

The show is interesting, but Alison is dragging it down. I can't stand her. I can kind of understand Noah (selfish jerk that he often is), but Alison gets on my nerves. I don't know why the writers have written her to be someone with so few moments that an audience could enjoy. Your main character should not be such a downer (except for Robert, for whom she is obviously an upper).

Edited by Superpole2000
  • Love 1

Here is another issue I have with Alison...from this episode and last.  She got mad at Noah last episode because he couldn't get an apartment with her in the city and she was going to be "stuck" in Cold Springs.  Then this week when she is fired and can't get a hold of Noah, she feels she has nowhere to go and goes back to Montauk to her house with Cole and falls into bed with him.  

She has no place that feels like her's, but that is her own fault.  She left Cole, but did nothing to actually set up her own sense of stability and life outside of Noah.  She could have gotten herself some kind of job, a real job and then she could have something that was her own.  Instead she has been content staying in Noah's writing bungalow just hanging out and doing nothing, until she wasn't.  Or she could have gone and worked out how to sell her house with Cole and used that money to give herself stability and possibly some place to live that worked for her.  So, she hasn't done anything to make herself secure and to have a place where she feels that she belongs, but whose fault is that?  Take control of your own life Alison.  

Alison's version plays out the same each episode - she's the perpetual victim, victimised by everyone, treated oh so horribly. What did she think would happen?

I assume Cole is going to be the father of the Alison/Noah love child.

• Love 1

For reasons that I and others have already articulated (tolerating awful behavior by horrid parents and warped children), I have limited sympathy for Helen, even during her crack-up.  And god, the show is continually telling us how cool and desirable she is, stop it show!!  I am so tired of scenes like the one in which Max goes on and on about how he always knew Helen was too good for him, and she sits there saying nothing, looking around the room, like this is just her due.  Ugh.  And her stupid-ass store (which, to be fair to the show, I think we are meant to see as stupid-ass.)  If Helen wants some autonomy in her life, why doesn't she get a job that makes her family some money, or if not, then volunteer for a charity or organization that helps less fortunate people?!?  God she bugs me.

Where are the receipts for this?

Max is obsessed has been in love with Helen since college--what other men are lusting after her??? How is the show telling us or showing us that she is cool? I don't see this. I see a heartbroken woman who is tired and confused. Even when Max was talking to her, she didn't look as if this was her due, she looked confused and annoyed at his assumptions about her motivations. He goes on telling her about herself when, in fact, he was wrong: HE wasn't good enough, but Noah was.

Helen's privileged, the store was a vanity project. But, I'm not understanding most of this criticism. 

• Love 3

It was super nice not to see or listen to Noah for the hour.

Alison say no one sees her, they just want to fuck her, then fucks Cole. Reflects poorly on both of them.

Glad Cole was not stupid enough to get into a deal with his brother, those scenes were starting to remind me of Bloodline- is that the right name? The show with Kyle Chandler. And Kevin.

Did I mention how nice it was not to see Noah for an hour?

• Love 1

Not since Michael Steadman took a fiction writing class have I heard prose as awful as Noah's.   Socks in God's hamper, indeed.

"Oh Cole, nobody takes me seriously," Alison cried.   "They don't see me, they just want to fuck me ..."

(Less than a minute later, Cole is fucking Alison)

I will have to stop by The End next time I'm in Montauk.  Rare to find a deserted beach bar at the height of summer where a beautiful bartender will spend the whole evening serving and talking to just you alone.   Place must have a hell of a manager.

I guess Yvonne sent Robert out to shoot the dog again.   

• LOL 1
On 11/1/2015 at 10:23 PM, lvbalgurl said:

Cole is back, and I just couldn't love him more.  I love him with Luisa; I loved him being kind of grumpy and morose with her.  They were charming together.  Hell, I even love him with Alison.  For all of his being a mess (as everyone on this show is), there is a warmth and genuine caring to him that I find endearing.

I love Cole!!!   He is the much better man.  What is Alison thinking.

This show is so perfectly cast. I’d loved Maura Tierney since ER.  She nails everything. 

I had a friend who once said that, when you get together with a man, you should have the opportunity to talk to his ex first. Now that is true wisdom!