Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: 205

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Alison is thrown by an unpleasant shift in behavior from her Hudson Valley hosts and furious with Noah after a chance discovery about his new book. Meanwhile, Cole rejects Scotty's plan to make money for the family and enjoys an unexpected connection with someone new; and Scotty catches Cole in a situation best kept secret.

From the recap, I actually did laugh out loud at:

Alison should be used to cold shoulders, given her chronic inability to dress herself in the present.

Somebody please explain to Alison that bra straps are almost always meant to be hidden.  

The only sex more awkward than Cole with Chatty McChattypants was Noah the brilliant writer's tale of his sexcapades.  This is the great novel that will propel him to fame and fortune?  Mkay.  I guess if 50 Shades of Grey can do as well as it did, Noah's sexytimes chronicle can be a hit. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Cole and Allison, OY, I hope that was a closure fuck. Cole call the girl on your hand, Allison is more trouble than she's worth. Not that she's a slut and I'm not sure what crawled up Yvonne's ass and died, except I guess she knows her kind, what goes on in their minds? RME. So Cole stole Scotty's jack Oscar idea AND his hot piece of ass from The End. That seems to have been the only reason for this episode.

• Love 2

YAAAASSSS. I was living for Helen on that porch. From the no one was at the door to reading Noah to Alison. lol

Tell me that she didn't have Noah number when she was getting Alison together for showing up on her porch....

• Love 15

Helen's brief speech to Allison was pure poetry and Maura killed it. Perfect writing and acting and you could see it hitting Allison in the gut.

Loved this episode! I wondered if Yvonne's bitchiness was exaggerated in Allisons memory? She does see herself as victimized often. Either way those scenes and Robert's awkward boner were great. For a show full of broken people, Cole somehow seems most broken of all. JJ is perfect in this role. Is there a possibility Cole is the father of Allison's future baby?

Edited by racked
  • Love 17

Racked, I'm counting on the paternity question even if Noah ends up being the dad, which I believe he is. lol

What I loved most was while reading Noah to Alison, at the end, Helen was tearing up. Whatever Helens flaws were and no matter how much of a jackass Noah was, she loved him. Maybe Alison made up that part, but I believed it happened. Helen was so tightly controlled and telling Alison how her life was going to turn out as her tears betrayed her heartbreak in the end.

Edited by Nanrad
  • Love 6
YAAAASSSS. I was living for Helen on that porch. From the no one was at the door to reading Noah to Alison. lol

Noah is such a cliché. There are so many of them IRL that I recognized every word Helen was saying. Loved it.

• Love 12

Is there a person who has ever met Scotty who didn't want to kill him?

I loved Scotty projecting onto Cole. Cole is a selfish narcissist? Nope, that would be you Scotty. Cole is a ball of need who wallows in his victimization? Also you Scotty. How can someone be so self aware and yet so oblivious?

Helen laid down some truth, which I think Allison was very receptive to. Given that Allison has just learned that Noah sees her as some sort of muse whore, it will be interesting to see why Allison stays with him.

Cole and Helen deserve to have satisfying chatterless sex with each other after this season.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5

I'm watching the episode again, but I honestly need to see the "Alison invites Cole into bed" scene from her POV. She always paints herself as frightened by Cole and shit, but sleeps with him, and then goes to his wedding later on down the line for reasons I don't care to remember. Unless, they are implying she was raped and went to his wedding out of fear (???), her depiction of Cole is usually very unfavorable. He comes off as menacing and shit. Usually, Alison is played as some sort of temptress or a happy go lucky type, which Noah definitely believes the first, and Cole at times, goes along with the second, BUT in that scene, it was just two broken people having sex. Cole didn't portray Alison as coming onto him and he definitely initiated the sex. 

• Love 2

Montauk, good to see you again.

Maybe it's Joshua Jackson's aura but even when Cole is a former drug dealer or is stealing a girl from his own brother (why else did he go inside The End?), there is still a warmth to the character. Probably the most warmth out of the 4 leads, and that's someone who brandished a gun not long ago, something I don't think Noah is capable of, for instance. Cole obviously still loves Alison but regarding her, he's been blinkered for a very long time - he never saw she wanted out of the marriage until she spelled it out. Now he can't see she was just using him as an emotional crutch. But I think as a result, eventually their break up will be amicable, which is why she would later attend his wedding.

I take Alison's perception of the book with a pinch of salt, I could be wrong though 50 Shades of Grey proves a book like that can still sell loads as said upthread. But I think that Noah sees her more than a sex siren and that Robert has been perving her right from the start, nothing to do with the book. But I'm puzzled by Yvonne's attitude shift, maybe it was indeed due to the book. But I still can't get past that I doubt the book is that simple and that a publisher would react like so. In the flashfowards, Alison's reaction/attitude to the book doesn't seem that feral. Maybe I'm wrong, I need more context on that book.

Thematically the writers seem to be going for the tv version of "500 days of summer" with Noah and Alison affair. It will all probably end with both original couples back together in a better way.

Based on the future scenes, I really doubt that. Cole seemed happy and healthy, he's married now presumably to Louisa. Alison and Noah are also married, they seemed content before the police burst into their apartment. But who knows?

• Love 2

Not sure if it's the actors or the director but a visual aspect that is making it really hard for me to watch is that Alison, Noah and Cole don't change expression much if at all, especially in the parts of scenes where they are reacting or listening to others. I first noticed it with Alison, who sort of hangs her lips open and widens her eyes and then stays with that affect for the whole time someone monologues or rants at her. Like tonight when Robert came into the cabin to fire her. 

Tonight and last week, I noticed Noah and Cole doing same, restricting their faces to an expression somewhere between hangdog and affected innocence.

I understand that scenes are being presented to us as recalled by one of the principals and we are supposed to read the emotions of the particular narrator. And on and on the stilted expression is held, making me wonder if the individual can act? For me, it's an unnerving, horrible technique! Sorry if I am overstating this annoyance.

• Love 2

Robert has been so kind to Allison in her POV, I knew it was a setup for his eventual pervy downfall. Has she met a man she hasn't found threatening? Her storyline really showcased how childlike Allison is - so preoccupied with herself and her feelings that she has no real awareness of how she affects other people. And no sense of boundaries or propriety. Showing up at Helen's house was an egregious example, and sleeping with Cole was another. She doesn't know he's starting to move on; as far as she knows, he's still heartbroken and looking for a way back into her life. And I hate to ask this because I know it reads like victim bashing, but did anyone else cringe when Allison told her story about meeting Noah? It WAS inappropriate (not excusing what Robert said to her). And she WAS generally unprofessional. She was working for an executive at a publishing house, with no experience or interest in the field, showing up late in her bra straps with wet hair and acting like a frazzled teenage intern. It casts doubt for me on her version of how things fell apart there, because I'd fire her, too, and it would have nothing to do with slut shaming. It's so strange, because with everything Allison's been through, I would expect her to be more shrewd, less trusting.

Edited by RedInk
  • Love 21

Man, why did Cole have to go and sleep with Alison again? It was amazing to see how his face was lighting up while he at The End with Luisa, that he had hope that he could finally move on. It's obvious that she is who Cole marries. I loved Alison getting the smackdown from Helen, which she so rightfully deserved. For all her talk about how no one sees her, she lacks some serious self-awareness.

Yay! Oscar's back! How I've missed that red-headed douchecanoe.

There are some people who have the gift of a story-teller voice. Dominic West is not one of those people. How droll and monotone that was.

• Love 4

Wow, I loved this episode. I am so happy the writers finally addressed what I've been saying since the first season - the way in Noah's memory Alison came across like this oversexed temptress. So to see her read parts of the book and see that version of herself was really interesting, coupled with Yvonne clearly not wanting her around because she realized Alison had an affair with married Noah. And the husband's boner was just gross and creepy. I also thought it was interesting how Alison saw herself in the mirror with her bra showing a bit, the short shorts, etc., almost like she was seeing herself as the cheap slut she believes others see her as.

I've never liked Yvonne and Robert and had a feeling right from the start that they would eventually go there with him and Alison so can't say I was surprised and can't say I'll miss them. I thought Helen's appearance in Alison's story was interesting. She clearly hated Alison and wasn't exactly friendly to her but her comments were essentially all about what an asshole Noah is and his propensity to blame her for his failure. I loved that it was about Noah and not how awful Alison was for stealing her husband. 

I loved when Alison said in Cole's version that she feels like no one really sees her. Because this is exactly what I have been saying, that Alison's memories show that she clearly sees herself as a victim. Not that I'm saying so much she's playing victim but that her memories always have her come across like she's in a fog and life and the world happens around her and others attack and judge her and beat her down and she's just sort of there, taking it. I rarely see Alison being assertive in her memories. It's always her just reacting to how others treat her or shrinking into herself, etc. And that again is why Noah's version of her was always so striking to me. 

Cole's version was interesting. Not surprised about the focus and suspicion shifting to him over Scotty's death because it was glaringly obvious that the writers were going to go there. But it's interesting learning more details about his current life. So I'm guessing he and Alison decided together to sell her grandmother's house when she fully moved on with Noah and he took his half and wisely started his own business rather than giving Scotty money for his shitty plans.

And that of course that pissed Scotty off who saw Cole thriving. On top of that, I'm guessing Cole's wedding Alison and Noah were attending that weekend was to the woman in the episode, the one Scotty hooked up with first. So he was probably pissed about that too. And I see creepy Oscar is back who will probably add more suspicion on Cole since he too is probably bitter Cole is doing well after his big business plans failed and he's serving coffee at Cole's restaurant.

But honestly, I enjoyed the lawyer pointing out that after talking to people, half the people in the town wanted Scotty dead. Good riddance I say. Dude was an asshole and a pervert and hell Helen and Noah should have had his ass arrested in the first place for diddling underage Witney. Speaking of Witney, despite all the suspicion on Cole, I still say she's likely the one who killed Scotty and Helen probably knows, which is why she's paying for the lawyer to help Noah get off. 

Finally, I would like an accurate timeline of where they are in present time because suddenly a question mark is popping up on that kid Alison has and hell maybe that's what Cole's look in the court room was about. I thought the ending scene with Cole and Alison was sweet and again makes me think Cole's memory of the situation is closer to the truth, although maybe not a hundred percent accurate. Because again it would explain why he would feel kind enough to invite her and Noah to his wedding as it's clear from his version of events that there isn't this seething animosity between him and Alison. 

eta: Forgot to add, is the woman Cole's interested in working at different houses? Because Cole clearly met her that first time at Helen's parents when he dropped Helen's dad off but that was clearly not their house Cole showed up at to have sex with the woman. And I guess it would explain why he seemed surprised and confused to see her. I thought the two of them had really good chemistry and enjoyed their scenes together. 

But I'm puzzled by Yvonne's attitude shift, maybe it was indeed due to the book. But I still can't get past that I doubt the book is that simple and that a publisher would react like so.

I just think Yvonne's reaction had to do with the fact that she herself got Robert because of an affair and it's the old cliche of how you get someone is how you lose them. And so that fear already in her, she reads Noah's book which pretty much spells out that he and Alison are the result of an affair and she starts seeing Alison in a different light and not being comfortable with her that close to her husband, doing the physical therapy. Maybe not a fair reaction but realistic. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 12

I think that the book is a fictionalized account of Noah and Allison's relationship, not necessarily a completely true reflection of how he sees her. However, everyone who has read it has assumed it to be true, including Yvonne, Robert, and the editor in NYC, and they all assume that Allison is sex personified because of it. But it's actually her vulnerability that seems to be attractive to men. Even Cole sleeps with her after she expresses doubts about herself. I think she's right--people don't see her for herself, just the vulnerable girl. I wonder if Noah will still be as attracted to her once they are settled and she's happy.

And I think the baby is Cole's...because that will give us some angst fodder for the future. The baby did take to him quite quickly...

• Love 3

But honestly, I enjoyed the lawyer pointing out that after talking to people, half the people in the town wanted Scotty dead. Good riddance I say. Dude was an asshole and a pervert and hell Helen and Noah should have had his ass arrested in the first place for diddling underage Witney. Speaking of Witney, despite all the suspicion on Cole, I still say she's likely the one who killed Scotty and Helen probably knows which is why she's paying for the lawyer to help Noah get off. 

Lots of good stuff in your post, but I wanted to specifically say that I think you're spot on in thinking that Whitney is the guilty party and Helen knows it.

• Love 5

I enjoyed episode five the most so far.  It went very fast.

Allison is surely in need of greater self-awareness. However, it is true that Yvonne and Robert are creeps.  Glad she woke up to a few facts and went back to Montauk.  She better fits in at Montauk and she has a place there.

IMO, Helen was untruthful and cruel in what she said to Allison.

I don't think that Cole's future wife to be is so great.  He is just on the rebound.  I'm glad that he and Allison had sex.

Edited by AmandaPanda
removed slut-shaming language
  • Love 2

did anyone else cringe when Allison told her story about meeting Noah? It WAS inappropriate (not excusing what Robert said to her). And she WAS generally unprofessional. She was working for an executive at a publishing house, with no experience or interest in the field, showing up late in her bra straps with wet hair and acting like a frazzled teenage intern. It casts doubt for me on her version of how things fell apart there, because I'd fire her, too, and it would have nothing to do with slut shaming. It's so strange, because with everything Allison's been through, I would expect her to be more shrewd, less trusting.

This!  Yes, Alison's story to Robert was definitely cringe-worthy.  I've always found Alison's character to be sympathetic in her grief and self-loathing, but last night's episode made me impatient and annoyed with her.  How can she be so consistently blind to how inappropriate her behavior is?  Okay, so she's shocked at being fired, she's shocked at what Noah wrote, etc., etc.   Yvonne's iciness was perfect, but who would be surprised by it?   Yvonne has been nothing but a carnivorous bitch - even when she's being "kind" - the whole time.  Likewise, what normal man is NOT going to get a hard-on when a young woman is massaging his thigh right after he has read about how she is the sex goddess of all times?  And showing up at Helen's, really?  Great for Helen who knocked it out of the park, but Alison's descent (sorry) into a woman destroyed by what she sees as Noah's betrayal is so over-the-top and juvenile that it did nothing but make me angry at her.  It's getting really tiresome to see Alison react to every hurt feeling by sleeping with someone other than her partner.  STD's must be spreading like wildfire in Montauk.

• Love 8

It is amazing to me that Noah is arrested for Scotty's death.

Above all other reasons, Scotty was a drug dealer.  Being a criminal means interacting with other criminals, many of whom may have wanted him dead.

But my top choice for his killer remains Whitney.  That girl has more than a few screws loose, and could have easily been driving crazy as a demon on those dark roads and mowed Scotty down.

• Love 7
I think that the book is a fictionalized account of Noah and Allison's relationship, not necessarily a completely true reflection of how he sees her. However, everyone who has read it has assumed it to be true, including Yvonne, Robert, and the editor in NYC, and they all assume that Allison is sex personified because of it. But it's actually her vulnerability that seems to be attractive to men.

Except based on Noah's versions of their affair in the first season in particular, that does seem to be how he sees her. Think of their first meeting where Noah remembers Alison's waitress uniform being way too short in my opinion and her smoking on the beach later and then all but getting naked in front of him and jumping into the shower and inviting him in. Noah's version of their story presents Alison as a woman who threw herself at him right from the start.

Hell his version of the season finale had that moment when Helen has to yell at Alison to stop staring at Noah and asking what is wrong with her. Because in Noah's memory, even with his wife and daughter present, Alison kept looking at him like a meal she had to have right then and there. So I don't find it hard to believe she actually read those parts in the book. Doesn't mean it's all there is in the book but I definitely can believe parts of it were depicted like that. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I just had a thought.  What if the money that Noah and Allison live off of later is not from the sale of his book, but from the sale of her house?

I find that an awful thought.  I don't even think that Cole deserves half her house.  It is where she grew up with her grandparents.  Her grandmother died while she was married to Cole.  And I understand under community property that he is entitled to half the house.  But that just seems wrong to me.

And it seems even more wrong for Noah to live off her money, if that happens.

Allison is surely in need of greater self-awareness.  If she doesn't want to get hit on by men, she should not dress the way she dresses.

I think Alison can dress the way she wants to dress. However, she should know better than to show up in a tank and shorts while working. That is straight up unprofessional.

Now, in her whole "woe-is-me, no one ever sees me" schpiel, has Alison ever thought to let Cole see her?

• Love 5

Yay, every man has a boner for Alison.. 

Alison sleeping with Cole plus how Cole looked at Alison during the court scenes a few episode back.  I wonder if Alison's baby was Cole's.  Perhaps at the end of that episode Cole was looking at the baby, not necessarily Alison.

• Love 8

It is amazing to me that Noah is arrested for Scotty's death.

Above all other reasons, Scotty was a drug dealer.  Being a criminal means interacting with other criminals, many of whom may have wanted him dead.

But my top choice for his killer remains Whitney.  That girl has more than a few screws loose, and could have easily been driving crazy as a demon on those dark roads and mowed Scotty down.

This.  That alone is enough to produce a reasonable doubt for Noah's motivation for killing Scotty.  

• Love 3

Yay, every man has a boner for Alison.. 

Alison sleeping with Cole plus how Cole looked at Alison during the court scenes a few episode back.  I wonder if Alison's baby was Cole's.  Perhaps at the end of that episode Cole was looking at the baby, not necessarily Alison.

My fear is that they are setting Cole up as the murderer.  Waaaah!  NOOOOOO!  

Plus, I still think the baby is Oscar's.  DUN dun dun.  

I loved the scene on the step of the brownstone with Helen, thought it was very well played by both actresses, but I still don't understand why Alison didn't just call Noah?  Cell phones exist now.  A scene with her trying to call him should have been in there.  Or was there one and I missed it?

Really enjoyed this episode...even gained some sympathy for Alison, despite all of her poor choices. 

Oblivious sad face Alison is starting to grate.

The only sex more awkward than Cole with Chatty McChattypants

God that was awful. McChattypantsless was obnoxious, skanky and condescending. I wanted Cole to shut her up too.

I couldn't understand why the husband was that upset over it -- good riddance -- unless he just doesn't want to shell out the divorce money.

...was Noah the brilliant writer's tale of his sexcapades.  This is the great novel that will propel him to fame and fortune?  Mkay.  I guess if 50 Shades of Grey can do as well as it did, Noah's sexytimes chronicle can be a hit.

It sounded like a typical summer beach read, the kind of book you only buy as a paperback and don't particularly care if you lose it or never finish it.

I don't know why Descent, a.k.a the world's longest Penthouse letter, would be particularly successful, but as you point out, all kinds of crap sells.  That said, I can't imagine Noah would get such a large advance for such hack work, nor can I imagine that a publisher or agent with literary pretensions would care about it.

Scotty is such an ass; I am mildly curious about who ran him down, although at this point, I'm wondering if the town got together and paid someone to do it.  He just sucks.

After the lawyer mentioned three-quarters of the town wanted Scotty dead, I was hoping for some kind of Death on the Orient Express scenario.

Is there a person who has ever met Scotty who didn't want to kill him?

Whitney, at least for now.

• Love 3

I loved the scene on the step of the brownstone with Helen, thought it was very well played by both actresses, but I still don't understand why Alison didn't just call Noah?  Cell phones exist now.  A scene with her trying to call him should have been in there.  Or was there one and I missed it?

She did call Noah. From what I gather, she hadn't heard from him in a few days.

• Love 2
I loved the scene on the step of the brownstone with Helen, thought it was very well played by both actresses, but I still don't understand why Alison didn't just call Noah?  Cell phones exist now.  A scene with her trying to call him should have been in there.  Or was there one and I missed it?

You missed it. She was shown calling him at least twice and leaving messages but for whatever reason he was not returning her call and so I guess she assumed he was at the house with the children and Helen, which is why he was not returning her calls. 

• Love 3

Not sure if it's the actors or the director but a visual aspect that is making it really hard for me to watch is that Alison, Noah and Cole don't change expression much if at all, especially in the parts of scenes where they are reacting or listening to others. I first noticed it with Alison, who sort of hangs her lips open and widens her eyes and then stays with that affect for the whole time someone monologues or rants at her. Like tonight when Robert came into the cabin to fire her. 

Tonight and last week, I noticed Noah and Cole doing same, restricting their faces to an expression somewhere between hangdog and affected innocence.

I understand that scenes are being presented to us as recalled by one of the principals and we are supposed to read the emotions of the particular narrator. And on and on the stilted expression is held, making me wonder if the individual can act? For me, it's an unnerving, horrible technique! Sorry if I am overstating this annoyance.

I am right there with you on this.  This was particularly noticeable with Alison tonight.  She was doing a Cletus the slack-jawed yokel impression.  

• Love 4

You missed it. She was shown calling him at least twice and leaving messages but for whatever reason he was not returning her call and so I guess she assumed he was at the house with the children and Helen, which is why he was not returning her calls. 

Helen needs to take note on how Allison knew where they lived, and how fast Allison is capable of tracking Noah down.

Helen needs to take note on how Allison knew where they lived, and how fast Allison is capable of tracking Noah down.

Helen knows Alison knows where they live. In the episode when Noah tells her he wants out of the marriage, when she starts screaming at him to get out, she finds panties that are not hers in the bed and realizes immediately it was likely Alison's. So she knew he slept with Alison in their bed. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

Helen knows Alison knows where they lived. In the episode when Noah tells her he wants out of the marriage, when she starts screaming at him to get out, she finds panties that are not hers in the bed and realizes immediately it was likely Alison's. So she knew he slept with Alison in their bed. 

I forgot about that scene.

Noah brought Alison to his/Helen's place in season 1.  Alison made a point to waste Helen's expensive shampoo

• Love 1

I think Alison can dress the way she wants to dress. However, she should know better than to show up in a tank and shorts while working. That is straight up unprofessional.

Now, in her whole "woe-is-me, no one ever sees me" schpiel, has Alison ever thought to let Cole see her?

I think Alison dresses schlumpy, not someone you would look twice at.  She is so average in every way.  It was silly for the woman to be concerned about Alison's ugly shirt and Jean shorts. 

• Love 16

Great episode! Can Alison possibly be more clueless and naive. She's rubbing Robert's thigh talking about getting naked and touching her lover and she acts horrified that the old guy got a massive boner.

Yvonne was a total bitch but I understand why. She's probably afraid that Alison is going to go after her husband like she did Noah. Alison is a threat and I wouldn't want her near my husband because she has no boundaries. No doubt that Robert would sleep with Alison if she were receptive.

I also thought it was a real asshole move what she did to Cole. She knows that Cole is still in love with her and it's cruel for her to play with his emotions. She never stops to think about how her actions affect others. It's all about her needs and her pain. When she asked Cole to stay with her in the bed I was hoping that he would tell her no. Damn Cole for sleeping with her!

Like the rest of you, I loved Helen's smack down on the porch. I also noticed that Helen looked great in Alison 's memory and Alison looked like hell. She definitely had some nerve showing up at Helen's house. Again, it's all about Alison. She never thinks before she acts. I wonder if Alison violating the court order will be brought up in court.

Cole and the crazy lady's sex scene was hilarious and revolting at the same time. Sexy ranch boy indeed.

ETA- I didn't think Alison 's shorts and tank were all that sexy. I live in Florida where it's always hot and her outfit was a typical mom type outfit I see on the playground everyday. Having said that, while her outfit wasn't sexy it was inappropriate for work. She doesn't need to wear a suit but she should at least make some attempt to look like she's at work.

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 13

I think Alison dresses schlumpy, not someone you would look twice at. She is so average in every way. It was silly for the woman to be concerned about Alison's ugly shirt and Jean shorts.

The actress pointed out in an interview that Alison is always schlumpy ( great word) in her POV. This is pretty consistent. Overall I think this means she has an extremely poor self image, and this is why she always seems astonished my male attention in her POV. It also might account for her hit or miss fashion attempts. She doesn't think she is attractive, so she doesn't dress attractive. Or she'll wear something she thinks is just barely acceptable, and everyone else goes doinnng!

This ep was interesting. While to Robert's face she blames the firing on his response to her, she also seems to be picking up info about herself. I think the segment shows her becoming aware of how she dresses, how inappropriate her musings with Robert were, how she was really kind of a mess as a PA. I suspect if we saw Yvonne's POV, it would show a lot more PA messiness than Alison's did, but enough was there to assume she was becoming aware of it.

( and can I just brag that I saw the Cole thing coming? Check the speculation thread. And I totally think the kid is his-- or at least he thinks she is his. )

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 2

Besides being a nurse and waitress, I didn't know Allison was a Physical Therapist also. A therapist who massages a man with boobs and bare legs flying all around.

Yup, Allison is the Supergirl of sex.  Even old men get raging boners around her.  Guess Robert can throw away his prescrips for Viagra or whatever other boner pill.  Oh wait, no, he can't cuz he just fired Ally.  She seemed surprised at the accusation of being unprofessional.  Seriously?

Ms. Cum-in-my-face really squicked me out.  Good casting cuz this actress had a voice that could wake the dead.  Ugh.  Very appropriate for Halloween.  Between her naked body & that voice -- skeered the fuck outta  me.  Well, actually her shtick annoyed me more than anything else.  C'mon, Cole.  This annoying broad is the best Pacey can come up with in Montauk?  Luisa is more like it.  Girl is super-cute & charming.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 7

I think Alison dresses schlumpy, not someone you would look twice at.  She is so average in every way.  It was silly for the woman to be concerned about Alison's ugly shirt and Jean shorts. 

I think Ruth Wilson is very pretty, but sometimes Alison makes questionable wardrobe choices - which are deliberate on behalf of the wardrobe people. She chooses those halter necks often, which aren't flattering on her, and she needs to learn about the strapless bra. Her tank top and skirt when she went to see Helen were pretty dowdy, and she's worn that sort of shapeless skirt before. She dresses much better in Noah's and Cole's memories - with Noah, she tends to be sexier, and with Cole she tends to be a bit more moneyed-looking. (In both their memories, her clothes actually fit properly.) In her memory she's dowdy because she doesn't value herself, or she's dowdy in comparison to the wealthier women she's around (note what she remembered Helen wearing in their meeting).

And I definitely think it's her vulnerability that makes her attractive to men - there are many men who like to take care of women* and Alison's overall demeanor, at least in her memory, screams "I've been through some shit, I need to be taken care of."

The firing scene was interesting because it raises some class issues - Robert's wife can't really groom her for a job in publishing because she doesn't have the right pedigree. (I used to work in book publishing for what I think is the real version of the publishing house what's-her-face runs; you tend to find a fair amount of already-wealthy people because publishing pays terribly at the beginning, particularly as an editor, particularly particularly when you have to live in or near NYC.) I mean, I think she was fired for a number of reasons, all of them valid (except what's-her-face's fear that she'd fuck her husband), but I'd bet she doesn't know what the Iowa Writer's Workshop is, or why it's significant.

I'm guessing Helen's new white streaks are the result of the highlights that were left in hours too long; IRL those sections of hair would be broken off, but whatever.

I fast-forwarded through Cole and the bored housewife because shut the fuck up, lady, Jesus. But I like him with Luisa. (That actress is fantastic in Maria Full of Grace.) I knew we were going to see more of her.

I don't know why the lawyer hasn't mentioned that Scotty is a drug dealer because that opens up reams and reams of reasonable doubt - he could have been killed by a customer with an axe to grind, a supplier he ripped off, whatever. I fell out when he said that half the people he talked to wanted Scotty dead, because for real, is it really that much of a loss? He's a fuckup and an asshole.

*I have been told I'm "too independent" by men before, so I've seen the inverse of this.

• Love 2

Oh Alison, I know you were desperate to get hold of Noah, but what were you thinking trekking all the way into the city.

And isnt she  legally obligated to stay away from his children?  Or was that just the advice Noahs lawyer gave him?