Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: The Final

• Start Topic

Or do what they have done on Top Chef in the past (don't have cable, so I don't know if they still do it). Give Star Baker a prize of some sort. Could be cash, a top-of-the-line mixer, a chance to attend some cool event, etc. 

• Love 4

There was a promo during 11/9's Dancing with the Stars show for an American remake with Mary Berry as a judge but I wasn't paying much attention to the details.  I'm sure we'll hear more soon.

The ABC show is going to be a holiday baking competition that's going to run in December, so a shorter run of shows unless they do double episodes. Rumored to be paired up with ABC's Christmas Light Fight that's been on a couple of years. The brief shots of the show used in the promo make it look exactly like the British show in physical layout (tent, workbenches).

I'm glad that Star Baker is simply verbal recognition and not a prize or an advantage in the next round.  It's refreshing to see people that accept sincere praise as its own reward.  This show is nice and straight forward and it seems to me that messing about with the format would bring on the kind of behavior that I despise in other shows. 

• Love 12

Was it this show or the American one that had stars affixed to the weekly winners' aprons?  I thought that was cute.

It was in Series 5 (Season 1 for PBS). One of the contestants, Luis IIRC, brought up the idea and the star. It lasted till the end of that series.

• Like 1

Perhaps they need a method of scoring, where bakers are given points for every event.  For instance, if you win the technical challenge, you get two points and if you're named Star Baker, you get 5 points.  That way, winning a challenge and being named SB will actually mean something.

That seems a potentially destructive idea to me. I can imagine a situation where someone performed well in all three challenges one week and still got eliminated because of a deficit from weeks past. I think the system they have is the best. And winning a challenge and being named Star Baker do mean something; being at the top of one or more challenges are taken as evidence of doing well this week and being safe from elimination.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
Is it January yet? We're getting S6 in January as the Downton lead-in, yes? (Sadly, I inadvertently spoiled myself as to who wins -- curse you, BBC News app! -- but, knowing who wins, I'll be interested to see how their experience in the tent is edited.)

Same here.  I clicked on some page and there was the name of the season six winner.  Rats.  Still, I'll enjoy it when it pops up on PBS, Netflix or, if worst comes to worst, the tube of you.  I keep seeing season six episodes there so it's a good last resort.  

I was wanting Kimberly to win but am happy with a Frances win.  All three seemed like lovely young women.  Ruby's gloom and doom demeanor didn't bother me all that much but it probably hurt her in the end.  Like the above poster, I kept comparing Ruby to Martha, the 17 year old from the season now on Netflix and Amazon Prime.  She handled her failures with such a mature attitude and always with a smile on her face.  I think that's the season I've enjoyed the most and I've managed to watch all of them online (except for six).

The ABC show is going to be a holiday baking competition that's going to run in December, so a shorter run of shows unless they do double episodes. Rumored to be paired up with ABC's Christmas Light Fight that's been on a couple of years. The brief shots of the show used in the promo make it look exactly like the British show in physical layout (tent, workbenches).

I heard they filmed it in England or did I just imagine that.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 1

It's refreshing to see people that accept sincere praise as its own reward.

Within the context of the show, this is true. However, a lot of contestants have been able to parley their appearance/success on the show into follow-up opportunities, regardless of whether they actually won or not.  I was on Team Kimberly during the season - even though I liked all three - but I was still happy for Frances and her win.

That seems a potentially destructive idea to me.

I agree.  This show (for me at least) epitomizes the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  The judges always seem to eliminate all the (relative) dead wood by the finals - so letting all three finalists have an even crack at winning the trophy never seemed unfair to me.

• Love 4

I'm still perplexed by Frances winning because, after Paul and Mary gave their final assessments to Mel & Sue, the one thing I was certain of was that Frances was coming in third.  I liked her and I'm not disappointed in her win like I would've been if they'd given it to Ruby, but I was really rooting for Kimberley.  Sadly, though, I knew she was pretty much doomed the moment she didn't pre-cook the ingredients inside her meat pie.

And it finally happened, I finally gave in and fell in love with Sue.  When she made the hamper joke, and then the bit at the end when she asked Mary if she had won, which I watched like three times because I thought it was so funny, I finally got why the UK seems to adore her.  

Bring on the next season, PBS!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Amen.  I always liked Sue and Mel but now I absolutely love them.  Mel turned up as one of the narrators on the Rocky Horror Show 40th anniversary production and it felt so strange to see her perform outside of the baking tent.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Agreed.  Compared to some of the other spectacular showstoppers this season, I was surprised that they all came up short on the wedding cake.  I thought Frances especially would do something mind-blowing in terms of decoration.

• Love 1

Some might disagree, but I enjoy Sue and Mel, even if their humor can be a bit much at times. And they have caused a problem or two for some contestants.

If anyone wants to see a bit more of Sue and why she's so popular, check out the Supersizers Go! videos on YouTube. Seeing what and how people actually ate at different times in history is fascinating and sometimes verging on nauseating, but usually fun. And you have to wonder how Sue and Giles made it through the entire series and some of those incredibly heavy and fatty dishes without a coronary, and how women of high social standing ever survived those Victorian and Edwardian seven-course dinners while being corseted tightly enough to take 4 or 5 inches off their natural waistlines. I'm amazed they could even breathe, much less eat!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=supersizers

• Love 3

Sue and Mel grew on me - they were a bit much at first.

I figured out they were like my college roommate split in two - she was so uncool she was cool, but only because she was comfortable with who she was and never made an effort to be something she wasn't.  While the rest of us were these hyper-self-conscious periodic basketcases, she just was.  Kind of The Tao of Pooh.

• Love 3

DeLurker, I love and admire people who can be like your roommate.  Maybe that's why I like Sue Perkins so much.  She seems to have a firm grip on life and of her place in the world, and the rest of the world goes round on a different track from hers. 

On last year's first show, the moment I heard Sue squeak out her high-pitched "Bake!" it struck me so funny, and I liked her immediately.  I think that Sue and Mel do a great job of putting the contestants more at ease when they make their rounds of the stations.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 5

i was rooting for Kimberley once Beca was eliminated, because I sort of have a girl crush on her, and I continue to think she was the most consistently good baker after all.  I was absolutely rooting for her after seeing all the finalists' home videos - she and her boyfriend are so adorable, and like someone said upthread, she had the same incredible smile as a child.

But, I am okay with Frances winning.  She hung on, keeping true to her own vision while listening to the feedback.  She had mostly good bakes. with some great ones,.  She got the Hollywood handshake.  And while all the wedding cakes were disappointing, I think hers was the best.

What I loved about this episode was the garden party with the past contestants!  Rob!  Howard!  Ali!  Christine!  Glenn!  Beca!

Beca is absolutely beautiful with her hair down.  She picked Kimberley, which yeah!  Makes me love her all the more.

Christine is awesome, I love her too.  I think she picked the winner, no?

And Glenn . . . I know he picked Ruby, because the others gave reasons,and he just said "I think it will be Ruby" and then flashed that Glenn smile.  :-)

It was all good.  I don't regret having watched a minute of it.

• Love 11

This was not one of my favourite finales because I wasn't keen on any of the final showstoppers and also wanted Kimberley to win.

EDITED TO ADD: There was no episode 10. Was that just a recap show or something?

The penultimate episode of the season is a traditionally a show with updates about the contestants from the previous season and what they are doing now. I did not create one since PBS has not aired UK Series 3 and when I did one for S05 (PBS S01), no one has posted in it. I do not know if PBS will keep up with that when it airs the new series. It's always a nice way to see how your favourites are and catch up with the finalists.

The forum for the ABC baking competition is here.

I put the blame on the 6 hour time limit.  That is a ridiculous amount of time to work with to make a fully decorated wedding cake 

I agree. Plus, decorating wedding cakes well is a pretty specialized skill, and I think a bit unfair to expect amateurs with the general all round baking skills required for this competition to be expert decorators under pressure as well.

• Love 5

I just found this show and watched the episodes still up on the PBS website. It's just fantastic. I was rooting for Kimberly but was okay with Frances winning. All the contestants seemed lovely, as did the hosts and judges. I hate American reality tv but the Brits do it right.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I hate American reality tv but the Brits do it right.

You're so right, Grommet.   And to think the Brits manage to have one of the most internationally successful shows about baking, of all things, and not a sex scene in any episode!  We Americans tend to base our reality shows on sex and then build our shows around it.  We have the Real Housewives and the Kardashians, and at least a dozen shows of that ilk.  The only thing the Brits show is butter getting mixed up with eggs, and sugar joining them in a bowl!  The only human interaction on this show was Ruby playing googly eyes with Paul, and that amounted to nothing.  Whatever Mary and Paul did, back in their little tent, was never mentioned.  Yes, the Brits could teach us a lot!

British Reality TV is just as full of drek as US TV is, this article is just a couple months old:

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/a-comprehensive-guide-to-british-reality-tv

it includes this bit:

There's Made In Chelsea if you like your dickheads rich and named "Binky" or "Caggie," The Only Way is Essex if spray tans turn you on, Geordie Shore for those looking to see someone's extensions get pulled out, and finally, The Valleys. If Geordie Shore is Jersey Shore on drugs (and it is), The Valleys is like Geordie Shore took a party bus to a small Welsh town and burned it to the ground... on poppers. Each show comes with its own vernacular and cast style, and the sheer range of perfect British slang just waiting to be adopted is reason alone to tune in. Also: UK reality shows don't blur nudity (nudity is also much more frequent), and everyone on these shows is much more honest about how often they're drunk (i.e., all the time) and how drunk they are (i.e., extremely).

• Love 2

Sue Perkins, one of the two hosts, has been battling a brain tumor for eight years

OH NO.I love Sue (another big Supersizers fan here, just rewatched the Edwardian episode tonight.)

I was unimpressed at those cakes too, all 3 looked like crap IMO. Maybe this is odd, but all I could think of was how Frances' parents looked old enough to be her grandparents...

Let's not get too idealistic about British reality TV:

British Reality TV is just as full of drek as US TV is

TGBBO is wonderful, as are its spinoffs (the ones I know, at least). But let's remember that in its very first season, its producers tried to crank up bogus drama and tears, and it didn't go that way only because Mel and Sue threatened to walk. Which, happily, resulted in the show we now know.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Ah, well, I'll admit that my exposure to British reality tv is this show, Hotel Inspector, and Life Laundry (the latter 2 from ages ago). Oh, and those ladies who helped people living in squalor. The US versions of all those shows were far inferior.

I'm halfway through the season that's on Netflix. What is caster sugar??

What is caster sugar??

Caster sugar is a finer grain of granulated sugar. It is frequently used for baking in UK recipes. In the USA, if you can find "baking" or "superfine" sugar, that's the closest substitute. To be honest, I already cut sugar in all my recipes and I substitute caster sugar with regular North American granulated sugar frequently.

For more discussion of baking differences, terminology, and more, check the Baking on Both Sides of the Atlantic thread.

I finally watched this season on Netflix.  I really enjoyed the contestants in this one.  Howard reminded me of Mr. Rogers, lol.  Glenn cracked me up.  I was kind of rooting for Ruby throughout, she was so fragile and down on herself, but kept on going right to the end.  I figured Frances won after the final bake because they were all neck-and-neck after the first two so whoever won the showstopper was going to win it.  By the final, I was happy with whoever won, I liked all of them.

• Love 2
On 4/4/2017 at 6:39 PM, Dobian said:

I liked all of them.

I'm late to the party; I just discovered this show on Netflix.  Love it!

I really wanted Kimberly to win, but in the end I was happy with anyone who wasn't Resting-B*tchface Ruby!

I'm another Netflix watcher delurking to say how happy I was Frances won.  After the technical challenge I figured it was Kimberley's to lose, and her showstopper really did seem to fall short, and Ruby's was full of problems.  That left Frances for the win.  

Ruby. as always, was just such a downer.  

And I didn't like the edit Frances got.  There were several times in the last couple of episodes where I thought the show was laughing *at* her, rather than with her.  For a show that normally goes to such great lengths to portray its contestants positively it troubled me.  There was one sequence where Glenn was saying that nobody with friends, or family, or a life, would ever waste their time making puff pastry.  Then cut straight to Frances saying she loves making puff pastry.  Then in the finale there was the (very funny) exchange between Ruby and Sue once Ruby'd realized she and Frances were both making picnic basket pastries.  Ruby said something like it's like finding out you're both wearing the same dress to a do, only the other girl is a 6'3" Brazilian supermodel.  Given the show's favoritism for Ruby, and her conventional good looks, this seemed like a shot at Frances' appearance.  Then when Ruby pulled that challenge off, Paul told her she'd finally done as well as Frances in the style category (her substance always being good), and again it seemed like a sleight against Frances, who the show has been criticizing every episode.  I just kept getting the impression the show was happy to mock Frances in a way they never did with any of the other contestants.  

• Love 2
On 11/19/2017 at 11:15 AM, truther said:

I'm another Netflix watcher delurking to say how happy I was Frances won.  ... I just kept getting the impression the show was happy to mock Frances in a way they never did with any of the other contestants.  

Maybe not “mock,” but the show/judges definitely seemed harder on Frances than I thought was warranted. Perhaps it was a red herring. 

Chiffed that she won. Super pleased, too, that the final five were all women.

• Love 2

I just rewatched this season on Netflix.  The first time I watched it was 2017, and Ruby annoyed the holy hell, out of me.  This time around, she didn't annoy me *as* much.  The last two episodes she was pushing it, looking like she was going to fall to pieces over a damn cake, but other than that, I actually found her endearing.  Her flavors were always good, if the judges are to be believed.  I thought Frances was very talented, but I'm not sure she was rightful winner.  The only reason she took the title is because her showstopper was beautiful compared to the other two.  Kimberley seemed like the most consistent of the three, and if it were up to me, she would have won, but it is what it is.

On 11/19/2017 at 8:15 AM, truther said:

Then in the finale there was the (very funny) exchange between Ruby and Sue once Ruby'd realized she and Frances were both making picnic basket pastries.  Ruby said something like it's like finding out you're both wearing the same dress to a do, only the other girl is a 6'3" Brazilian supermodel.  Given the show's favoritism for Ruby, and her conventional good looks, this seemed like a shot at Frances' appearance. 

Old comment, I know, but Ruby was saying this about herself, not Frances.  Frances was the Brazilian supermodel in this analogy, due to her incredible decorating skills.  As always, Rubes was being self-deprecating.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Billina said:

The only reason she took the title is because her showstopper was beautiful compared to the other two.  Kimberley seemed like the most consistent of the three, and if it were up to me, she would have won, but it is what it is.

As long as you're not eliminated, you don't have to do anything great until the final & if you're the best that day, you win the title. "Star Baker" means nothing cumulatively, it's more of a weekly winner.

I agree about Kimberly, I really wanted her to win, but as soon as I saw her showstopper, I knew she didn't

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Billina said:

The first time I watched it was 2017, and Ruby annoyed the holy hell, out of me.  This time around, she didn't annoy me *as* much.  The last two episodes she was pushing it, looking like she was going to fall to pieces over a damn cake, but other than that, I actually found her endearing. 

I had/have the opposite reaction, every time I watch the Ruby season I like her less and less, as opposed to say Candice, hated her the first time through and like her more and more on each rewatch.

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I had/have the opposite reaction, every time I watch the Ruby season I like her less and less, as opposed to say Candice, hated her the first time through and like her more and more on each rewatch.

Agree about Ruby, can't agree about Candice & her "disapproval" face. LOL

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, GaT said:

Agree about Ruby, can't agree about Candice & her "disapproval" face. LOL

Not so much her face, rewatching I noticed her humor and helpfulness which I didn't first time through.

I had a lovely time watching Series 4 (Collection 2 on Netflix). I watched Series 3 a while ago and I'm going to plod along in order. It's like listening to a podcast, really. You don't have to keep your eyes glued to the screen but it's lovely to have on in the background.

Anyway, I didn't have a favorite throughout the competition. I just liked seeing what everyone came up with week to week. I can see why I didn't love Ruby's cookbook Crumb when I read it. She seems to be more interested in bread than desserts or aesthetics. They did praise her flavors a lot of the time but she didn't make a lot of things that I felt I wanted the recipe for.

On the other hand, I would LOVE a Kimberley cookbook based on her skills and her bakes on the show. It seems like she's focused on her professional career though. Of the final three, she was definitely my favorite. Oftentimes the most competent contestant on a competitive reality show is very serious or even mean. Kimberley was so joyful while still doing excellent work.

I'm not surprised Frances won. She was generally great at all the technical challenges and presented very pretty bakes. Aside from a few mistakes, she mostly got docked for weak flavors. I will check out her cookbook to see if any of the recipes are tasty or just nice to look at. I've read reviews saying her recipes are a little complicated for the average home baker. 

• Love 2

I have been watching this show for about a month or so. I can watch (listen mostly) to TV at work so I’ve blown right through it on Netflix but I started at the end. The one where Stephen won. 

I just finished S4 and I came here to say one thing. I just have to get it off my chest. 

👉🏻I’ve never wanted to slap someone more than Ruby Tandoh. Except maybe Rahuel. That fake humility shit is annoying AF. 

Kimberley should have won. 

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/20/2019 at 11:45 AM, Billina said:

I have a question about Ruby, though: does she really dislike both Mary, and Paul?  I understand not liking Paul, but what is her beef with Mary?

I can understand our not liking Paul.  I don't understand her problem with him.  He went out of his way to compliment her baking at every opportunity.  And Mary was always positive about her stuff, to the point of ridiculousness IMO.  Talk about biting the hand that fed you.  It seems she is as unpleasant as I thought she was onscreen.

I’m fine not talking about it here, but I have googled and read and still question why she thinks she has a beef directly with him. 

I felt bad for Kimberley, but thought she would struggle when she said that her meat was going in raw and that her picnic pie basket had yet to work for her.  Of all the cakes, Frances’ cake looked best.  Ruby’s looked completely homemade and amateurish.  Kimberley’s had a good concept, but the stamp did not work for her and that  was the tier that caught your eye.