Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Get Out Of Jail, Free

thewhiteowl

The committee all get manila envelopes in front of the press, open them in front of the press, and then cancel the proceedings in front of the press? Yes. I am sure the press WOULD collectively shrug their shoulders like, "Eh? I guess we're done here?" SUUUUUUUURE.

Of course that would never actually happen but there are some things you need to let go for dramatic purposes and the entire committee getting blackmailed while calling on Olivia Pope who was going to either have to lie and possibly get everyone thrown in jail if the committee knew even a smidge more then she thought they did, tell the truth which basically blows up the world, or marry Fitz.

So yeah getting the envelopes and going batshit crazy might not be realistic but it was dramatic.

Edited by Chaos Theory

Seriously, not even a satin pillowcase if she didn't want to use a scarf or a bonnet? See, this is why I love How To Get Away With Murder. I don't know if it's Viola's decision or someone in production, but I like how that show keeps it all the way real with Annalise. The wig and makeup is off before bed, and Ana has her hair tied up in the thickest looking scarf I've ever seen.  Even after her hookup with Eve, Annalise sent Eve on her away wearing her robe and scarf. If this were real life, Olivia's hair would have breakage.  But I guess she must have Florina, Filomena, and Maria (aka The Dominican blowout fairies) on retainer every morning for a fresh blow out and bump.

For real. My natural curls and I sleep on a satin pillowcase and pack one when traveling. I also read they're good for the skin for the same reason they're good for the hair: less drying. I like that about Black-ish too: they've showed both of the daughters either first thing in the morning or at night, wearing scarves.

I have lamented Jake's pointlessness, but he can stay if he's just going to be like "Go away, you're annoying as fuck" when Liv calls him to whine. Like, if he does that once an episode, he's cool with me.

• Love 6
Was anyone else depressed by "No man wants to do this!" "Of COURSE no man wants to do this!" re: proposing?

That whole scene made me want to throw something at the  TV. He's acting as though Olivia wanted an OTT, rose-strew, drop-to-the-knee thing (which she clearly didn't) and then he complained about how difficult it was to get done, even though he did none of it! He had his staff searching for unique rings, and his valets scattering the rose petals!

• Love 7

This discussion about Liv and her highly unrealistic hair care is a hundred times more interesting than the show itself. My kingdom for a successful presidential assassination. Fitz is such a damn boat anchor. Then again, so is Rowan. Can this show just have a bombing (like Homeland did a few years ago) and clean house?

• Love 7

This discussion about Liv and her highly unrealistic hair care is a hundred times more interesting than the show itself. My kingdom for a successful presidential assassination. Fitz is such a damn boat anchor. Then again, so is Rowan. Can this show just have a bombing (like Homeland did a few years ago) and clean house?

Sorry for the double post. Stupid Kindle. Fitz was already shot in the head once. It didn't seem to be a problem for him. So a presidential assination doesn't seem to be in the cards. Yet.

Was Mellie supposed to be getting Rowan out of jail by faking Fitz's signature on something?  Did I get that right?

That's what I understood. Which, as much as I loved Mellie's smackdown of Liv (and Fitz!), means that now Liv has something on her as well - she forged the president's signature. I imagine that will come back to bite her at some point.

I really liked this episode. I'm glad Mellie finally got to tell off Liv and Fitz, and that the show finally seemed to be on her side; she's one of the most consistently mishandled characters on the show, IMO, because they don't seem to understand that she's actually awesome, rather than just an obstacle to Liv & Fitz's happiness. It's nice to see her finally get her due as way, way better than Fitz. As I said above, I'm sure that she will eventually be brought low because of it, but for now, I just love it.

A couple of quibbles with the episode: I was so glad when Jake did not actually die last season after being mortally stabbed because I really like Scott Foley, but seeing how little his character's had to do this season, I almost wish he really had died. I'd probably watch a web series of just him hanging up on Olivia, but there really isn't a reason for him to be on the show, at least not right now. Make him an official part of OPA, have him date some client, whatever - something that actually pertains to what's happening in the main plot would be nice.

Also, that was some super weird acting by Jeff Perry in the scene where he's insisting that Liv & Fitz need to get married. I know there's a cadence the actors normally fall into with all this dialogue, but he was all over the place rythym wise. And then it sounded like he made some weird grunt at the end of the scene - did anyone else catch that, or was it possibly just a well-timed grunt from my neighbors?

Finally, I'm glad the recapper mentioned this, because I do not at all understand Liv's motivation in telling Mellie that Rowan killed Jerry Jr. It almost seemed like it was a bit of a 'pity-me' moment, since she's known how awful he is far longer than Mellie has (I think it was in response to Mellie asking "Do you even know how many people he's killed?"), but I can't imagine that was actually the intent. But whatever was the intent is completely mysterious to me.

• Love 1

I really liked this episode. I'm glad Mellie finally got to tell off Liv and Fitz, and that the show finally seemed to be on her side; she's one of the most consistently mishandled characters on the show, IMO, because they don't seem to understand that she's actually awesome, rather than just an obstacle to Liv & Fitz's happiness. It's nice to see her finally get her due as way, way better than Fitz. As I said above, I'm sure that she will eventually be brought low because of it, but for now, I just love it.

I did love her telling off Olivia, and while Fitz is most certainly deserving of the verbal smackdown he received (and should get worse), I find it hard to take from Mellie. This whole "I've given it all up for you" bit of hers just doesn't fly with me. Just because Mellie chose to take the long, hard and stupid road, doesn't change the fact that she was in that marriage to further her ambitions as well. For all her boo-hooing, she is still the person who just freed the man who killed her son, all just to keep at her dream of being President alive. So Mellie can go fuck herself as far as I am concerned. No amount of Saturday visits to Jerry's grave are going to change the fact that she just shit all over the memory of her son.

And while I admire David Rosen's idealism, that advice he gave Susan Ross was idiotic. The Presidency will eat up and spit out someone as unsure as Susan Ross. That office requires an ego the size of Texas to occupy it. Say what you will about Fitz, or even Mellie, but they have ego to spare. I would rather see Sally Sitwell (or whatever her name is) occupy the office again than Susan Ross.

• Love 5

Olivia and Mellie BOTH deserve better then Fitz. Speaking of: In the great divorce did they decide who got custody of Olivia or did Fitz just assume? If it comes down to marrying Fitz and a chance to build the first woman President (even if it is Mellie; especially if it is Mellie) who do you think Olivia should chose?

She is a king maker after all.

• Love 2

I've been so sick of that love triangle or whatever it is since it started and this episode just proved me right to be tired of it. Unfortunately I don't see it ending anytime soon :/

And Mellie might be awful most of the time but I will always be #TeamMellie when it comes to both Fitz and Olivia, I think I've seen her yell at Fitz ten times now and I just can't get enough of it, you go girl.

Susan Ross is so frickin funny *love her*

• Love 8

Olivia and Mellie BOTH deserve better then Fitz. Speaking of: In the great divorce did they decide who got custody of Olivia or did Fitz just assume? If it comes down to marrying Fitz and a chance to build the first woman President (even if it is Mellie; especially if it is Mellie) who do you think Olivia should chose?

Why would it be a choice? I don't see why marrying Fitz would prevent Mellie from being President, now that the affair toothpaste is out of the tube. In fact, Mellie should be kissing Olivia's ass to get her to work her campaign magic. And there's no reason why Olivia would need to be threatened into helping Mellie besides. In the world of the show, Mellie is brilliant and would make a great President and it's a waste of her talents to be stuck picking China patterns. So ideologically it shouldn't be an issue. And if Olivia promised Mellie her help, Mellie would be a tame lapdog and stop making trouble for Fitz. And just in case she goes rogue, Olivia has a million things (conservative estimate) to blackmail her with. For that matter Fitz should be encouraging all this as well. Promise his administration's, and Olivia's help in getting Mellie what she wants if she stops trying to sabotage him. 

In fact, isn't that what Fitz was proposing in the season 2 finale, before the show introduced Olivia's dad and went straight down the toilet?

Also, I don't get why people think Mellie is owed anything. She's every bit as bad as Fitz is. The show is making a feminist point by using her to illustrate what sexist nonsense the First Lady position is, but in terms of the actual characters, Mellie is just as bad as the rest of them. Maybe even worse. 

• Love 2

Also, I don't get why people think Mellie is owed anything. She's every bit as bad as Fitz is. The show is making a feminist point by using her to illustrate what sexist nonsense the First Lady position is, but in terms of the actual characters, Mellie is just as bad as the rest of them. Maybe even worse. 

I can't take Mellie's complaints about the First Lady position seriously... She was so desperate to be First Lady that she helped steal an election, I can't feel sorry for her that she then didn't like the role. 

Is Fitz just never going to notice that the men who killed Jerry are free? Or does Mellie really think that it won't come back on her? 

• Love 3

[Mellie's] every bit as bad as Fitz is. The show is making a feminist point by using her to illustrate what sexist nonsense the First Lady position is, but in terms of the actual characters, Mellie is just as bad as the rest of them. Maybe even worse. 

I've found myself approaching the show from the standpoint that they're all bad people, except maybe David and the VP (loved their wine coolers scene) and they're not on that much. The whole "white hat" ship sailed LONG ago. When Liv did that interview last ep about how her business was all about helping people live their best selves, or whatever Oprah-Iyanla-The Secret nonsense she was shilling, I was like "I'm pretty sure your business is about covering up wealthy people's problems." She had her team hack a body into pieces and dispose of it. She's no saint.

• Love 4
Are you allowed to invoke the 5th Amendment provisions while testifying at Congressional hearings?  That would seem to be the shortest route for anyone to avoid throwing anyone else under the bus.  Yeah, it makes you look guilty in the eyes of the populace, but Olivia and Fitz are way beyond that.

Well, of course you can claim the Fifth Amendment. But would that be as much fun as getting married to claim the spousal privilege or blackmailing Senators?

Is Fitz just never going to notice that the men who killed Jerry are free? Or does Mellie really think that it won't come back on her?

Maybe it's all part of a bigger plan for Mellie to use Rowan to kill Fitz and then turn around and kill him and Tom to avenge Jerry. Three birds with one stone.

That would be awesome...which is why it probably will never happen.

• Love 7

Well, of course you can claim the Fifth Amendment. But would that be as much fun as getting married to claim the spousal privilege or blackmailing Senators?

You can, legally, but it's political suicide. Have you ever trusted a politician who did that, or did they think you were hiding something huge and damaging. 

Honestly, NONE of this makes sense from Mellie's perspective. If she wants to be President, the best thing she can do, by far, is ensure Fitz has a successful Presidency, everyone loves him, and he leaves office on a high note. That increases the likelihood the same party, and someone closely identified with Fitz, gets in next time. We know Susan doesn't want the job. Since there are no there people in the Fitz Administration, Mellie would be in a prime position to scoop it up. And Fitz would give her all the help he could, because he'd be grateful, he feels like he owes her, and it would mean she's out of his hair permanently, and he can go make jam in Vermont or whatever. 

Instead, Mellie is doing exactly the wrong thing for someone who's spent five seasons complaining that she wants to be President. 

• Love 1

Maybe it's all part of a bigger plan for Mellie to use Rowan to kill Fitz and then turn around and kill him and Tom to avenge Jerry. Three birds with one stone.

But I thought Tom and Jerry were a cat and mouse, not birds. Just kidding! The mental image of Tom finally catching Jerry and someone killing Tom for revenge was hilarious. And, I'd rather watch that episode than more B613 nonsense. 

• Love 2
You can, legally, but it's political suicide.

I was actually thinking of Olivia, as the entire reason for the marriage was to prevent her testimony.  And political damage wouldn't matter to her, because people flock to her office door right and left anyway.  And she has her daddy, too.  And maybe mommy too, the way this show is going.

A couple of quibbles with the episode: I was so glad when Jake did not actually die last season after being mortally stabbed because I really like Scott Foley, but seeing how little his character's had to do this season, I almost wish he really had died. I'd probably watch a web series of just him hanging up on Olivia, but there really isn't a reason for him to be on the show, at least not right now. Make him an official part of OPA, have him date some client, whatever - something that actually pertains to what's happening in the main plot would be nice.

OK ... so we get Jake and Mellie to hook up, right?

I loved Sally tapping her little Liberty Bell while saying "it tolls for thee, Mr. President."

• Love 1

Is it a spoiler to discuss previews shown at the end of the ep? Because that's clearly Jake kissing Olivia in the preview, so everyone's joy that Jake is moving on is a little premature.  Another reason I just can't do this show anymore.  Olivia is nuts. Pick a damn man and stick with him.

• Love 2

I think Shonda is phoning in the scripts at this point. IMO, Scandal isn't much better than the average daytime soap opera. (And the four of them that are still left are sinking like the Titanic, just not as fast.) Some of the actors seem to be over this show too. At this point I don't know what could be done to jolt Scandal back to life except maybe kill off Olivia or Fitz and we know one of those things would be the definite end of the series.

I'm generally not big on Mellie but I was right with her tonight when she read Liv and Fitz. She ripped out both their tongues. But now she expects Olivia to run her presidential campaign? Come on. AFAIC, Both women need to let it go and return to their separate corners.

Does someone want to explain to me why Olivia couldn't just lie?

Lying to a congressional committee is a sure trip to prison if they have definitive proof that you're lying. But I say, so what? Fitz could simply pardon her.

Fitz probably doesn't know about weaves, right?  Oh yes, this could get interesting.

I dunno, how could he not know? I imagine he's tried at least once to run his fingers romantically through her hair, or do some hair-pulling during their secksay times. I can't see how they would've been together this long and it not have become apparent unless Liv simply told him at the beginning not to touch her hair ever and he just accepted it.

Was Mellie supposed to be getting Rowan out of jail by faking Fitz's signature on something?  Did I get that right?

I assumed she pulled some senatorial strings. A well-placed call from a US senator can often be very effective, especially if Rowan was in a federal facility. Mellie probably arranged for a few promotions and bonuses to the prison management too.

Fitz wants to marry Olivia so that she won't have to testify against him in front of Congress

See, I thought that only worked for things that happened while the couple was married. Seems to me the stuff Olivia knows about that preceded their wedding would still be fair game. Which is pretty much the whole dirty ball of wax.

I loved Sally tapping her little Liberty Bell while saying "it tolls for thee, Mr. President."

I was half expecting her to cry out, "Shame!" like that cult nun did on Game of Thrones to Cersei.

Edited by Oblique Angle
  • Love 2

I have a quibble about a plot hole in this show full of plotholes: the first scene we see is Mellie testifying before Congress. But the whole episode centered on whether or not Olivia should marry Fitz to get out of testifying. Technically, Mellie was still married to him in that first scene, which has me wondering why she just didn't use that privilege in the first place. Maybe it's too much to ask for sense on Scandal, but this just seemed glaringly dumb to me.

• Love 3

I have a quibble about a plot hole in this show full of plotholes: the first scene we see is Mellie testifying before Congress. But the whole episode centered on whether or not Olivia should marry Fitz to get out of testifying. Technically, Mellie was still married to him in that first scene, which has me wondering why she just didn't use that privilege in the first place. Maybe it's too much to ask for sense on Scandal, but this just seemed glaringly dumb to me.

She thought they were going to stick to the the questions on the list. She wanted to take Fitz down... Therefore she couldn't stay quiet. She didn't expect them to sandbag her.

• Love 1

I'be been saying the same thing since season 1; Liv and Fitz are real yet until he sees "the scarf" and understands its importance. Oh, and don't get me started on those sex romps on the shower with no cap on and perfectly coiffed hair in the next scene!

I remember in what I think was his break up speech, Edison talking about how well he thought he knew Olivia.... Including watching her press her hair. Guess Fitz hasn't had that privilege yet.

• Love 3

When Fitz told Mellie that everything was on her and that she has blood on her hands, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This coming from the man who declared war over his side piece, getting thousands killed; the man who killed Verna with his own hands. Is Fitz really that unselfaware or does he just automatically give himself a pass?

• Love 9

I don't think Liv is supposed to have a weave on the show. When she was on the island with Jake it was a curly fro, like a natural...and beautiful. If she is natural she might not care if it gets wet during shower sexy time because it just curls. She has to be a beast with a flat iron to get it back together for the next day though.

Why is talking about her hair more exciting than talking about the episode?

• Love 3

I was a little confused about the spousal privilege.  Perhaps it was explained, but I missed it.  I thought it only covered conversations that occurred during the course of your marriage.  The way they acted, they made it seem like Olivia could just claim a blanket privilege for the entirety of the affair simply because they got married. 

• Love 1

I think what we saw is that this show really has no where to go anymore.  They will keep manufacturing the Olitz drama and bringing back Papa Pope because there isn't any other substance to fall back on. No matter how often we see how Fitz and Olivia are bad for each other for how illogical the B613 story line is, this is what the show has been for the last 2 seasons and I don't think it is going to change.

• Love 4

Fitz/Olivia is ripping off Meredith/Derek too much with the sudden and unexplained cold feet.  This relationship ceased to be interesting long ago.

Glad Jake finally told Liv to go fuck herself.

Is there one person is this whole show that is willing to put Rowan's past and potential crimes ahead of what he might be able to do for them personally! Dammit, Olivia's mother seems to be the least compromised of all the actors. Or second to least if you count the VP.

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 1

Hated it. Mellie is such a hypocrite, as is most of the cast. I can't take it when any of them try to act as the moral authority. Fitz and Mellie both have wronged each other over and over, and both have wronged the American people.

B613 is so over the point of making sense. Government agency, non government agency. Funded by the government, funded by stolen art. It's all so stupid and inconsistent.

She thought they were going to stick to the the questions on the list. She wanted to take Fitz down... Therefore she couldn't stay quiet. She didn't expect them to sandbag her.

That's what I assumed, but did she want to take him down, though? I honestly can't remember. I thought they had that scene with Teddy where they sort of agreed to get along. But they make those promises and blow them up so often I no no longer am able to keep track. It happens at least twice an episode. :) It also speaks to the fact that this is show is losing my interest that I'm only half-paying attention when I watch it.

That's what I assumed, but did she want to take him down, though? I honestly can't remember. I thought they had that scene with Teddy where they sort of agreed to get along. But they make those promises and blow them up so often I no no longer am able to keep track. It happens at least twice an episode. :) It also speaks to the fact that this is show is losing my interest that I'm only half-paying attention when I watch it.

They had that scene with Teddy where they agreed to get along... Then at the end of the episode Fitz went to take Olivia out on a date, that made Mellie mad and she called a late-night meeting of the women senators to say she wanted to go ahead with impeachment. 

• Love 2

These win the Internet today. Imagine Olivia doing the Big Chop and wanting Fitz to help,with her twists. Nope about as realistic as that damn Jam in Vermont.

Somehow, the commentary on this topic reminded me of that episode of Fresh Prince when Will's date was looking fly but after being locked in a room after an earthquake he sees that none of her hair, nails or eye color was hers and freaks out. LOL!
  • Love 4

Best possible finale to Scandal, ever.
  • Love 1

He is handsome as fuck, you'll grant him that.

He was?

I don't know if it's the effects of aging or just the petulant boredom the character has riding his face all the time, even or especially when he's breaching Olivia's boundaries for sex on demand, but there's something a little lizardlike about his face for me at this point. He just reads human iguana sunning himself crankily on a rock waiting for someone to catch a bug and feed it to him.

• Love 8

He was?

I don't know if it's the effects of aging or just the petulant boredom the character has riding his face all the time, even or especially when he's breaching Olivia's boundaries for sex on demand, but there's something a little lizardlike about his face for me at this point. He just reads human iguana sunning himself crankily on a rock waiting for someone to catch a bug and feed it to him.

Awww, I think he's cute :(

• Love 1

Can I just say that I'm enjoying the commentary on hair and how to manage it? I'm learning things I never knew about before.

Me too.  I was trying to figure out what people were talking about with the scarves, bonnets, etc.  

• Love 1

He was?

I think Tony is good-looking, but he tends to play douchey, morally questionable characters and I think it affects the way he looks to me.

• Love 4

I was a little confused about the spousal privilege.  Perhaps it was explained, but I missed it.  I thought it only covered conversations that occurred during the course of your marriage.  The way they acted, they made it seem like Olivia could just claim a blanket privilege for the entirety of the affair simply because they got married.

Spousal privilege means that that a spouse cannot be forced to testify against the other spouse. So if Olivia and Fitz were married, Olivia could refuse to even appear as a witness in the Senate investigation against Fitz without penalty, just as Fitz could by claiming executive privilege. There is another kind of spousal privilege that covers conversations between spouses, but that can be invoked whether the spouses are part of the proceeding or not. That only covers conversations while you are married.

Mellie reading Fitz was the life I needed. Give Bellamy her Emmy already. She LAID IT ALL OUT for that ass. I WASTED MY LIFE ON YOU!!!

tumblr_mb6vgopFiC1qj496r.gif

But she didn't. She pushed him into running for offices that she wanted him to have, got the recognition and fame that goes along with it, the limited power of being first lady, and then a US senator with no other political experience. She was a partner at a law firm- there is no way she would have gone straight to senator without Fitz.   

Plus BY isn't that great of an actress.  Everything's in extremes with her.  No subtlety.

Don't forget the doe eyes when she wants to portray that she's hurt. Big doe eyes while her mouth hangs slightly open.

And back to the episode, I was glad to see they remembered the Jeannine Locke plotline happened (the way they are with continuity makes me surprised).  When Mellie initially was saying she hadn't known about the affair, I kept thinking "Other then when you went on TV to talk about it?!?!"  But they made it so she meant she didn't know about this particular affair. Which is pretty eye-roll worthy, but at least not completely disregarding seasons 1 and 2.