Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2)

With Booth and Brennan in tow, Abbie and range set out to prove that supernatural forces are at play when a mysterious death plagues the FBI. As Pandora unleashes a force to awaken the dangerous Red Coast General Howe, both teams must find a way to save the town from the British Army of the Undead. Can the power of Booth and Brennan combined with Annie and Crane be enough to stop Pandora's evil forces?

*Crossover episode with Bones Season 11, Episode 5.

The Bones episode was okay. There wasn't a whole lot of Crane and Abbie scenes in this, which I could appreciate since it was a Bones episode. Crane seemed to have got more face time than Abbie. I did like how Bones and the team reacted to him. All carried a look of bewilderment at his 'strangeness' which they should have since they didn't know his history.

Interesting the Crane/Abbie romantic propping that went on in the Bones episode. I wonder if the writers were dangling carrots or if they were hinting, they'll actually go there if given the time?

On to the Sleepy Hollow episode.

I called it in the media thread. I knew that Sophie's boss was/is Corbin's counterpart. :) I can't wait to see where this story goes.

Crane has learned how to fight. He was kicking those undead soldiers asses. Lol.

Though I didn't think they distracted from this episode I really didn't see the point of Booth and Bones being around. Their presence was really more like a blink and you'll miss it appearance than a true crossover.

So it looks like with every monster Abbie and Crane defeat, it brings Pandora closer to her goal whatever that may be. Sounds like she said that the last bloom is linked to love. Based on the preview for next week's episode, with Jenny being in serious trouble, the final rose might actually bloom.

One thing the writers need to do is to not make the witnesses so indifferent to Pandora's agenda. They know she's out there but are not being proactive at all about trying to figure out what she's up to. After everything they've been through you'd think they would be doing more than waiting for Pandora's next monster to attack before taking action.

Good episode. I liked the look and the storyline, but didn't think it was as strong as previous episodes. I thought General Whatshisface committing suicide was a copout and way too easy considering how much he loathed Crane. He should've been harder to kill.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 8

I liked the 'crossover event' better than I thought I would too. I thought it was going to kind of push the supernatural aspect too hard in the Bones episode and end it with some kind of 'spooky' unanswered questions but I think they did a good job compartmentalizing the aspects of Sleepy Hollow that wouldn't fly on Bones.

• Love 6

I guess it was OK enough, but since I really don't watch Bones, the crossover aspects weren't all that interesting to me.  Especially the first hour: I only really paid attention to the stuff that Ichabod and Abbie were in.  None of the Bones characters really grab me.  As for their appearances in the second episode/actual Sleepy Hollow episode, Booth was alright, but I really wasn't feeling Brennan, so I'm extra glad I don't watch, because I have a feeling I couldn't handle that character for big doses.

The bowling scene at the beginning was fun.  The costumes were great: Ichabod as John Adams (no one appreciated his work!), Abbie looking hot as what I heard was suppose to be Beyonce, and Jenny decided to be a Canadian Mountie for some reason.  Zoey showing up as Betsy Ross was a bit much though, but the actress made it work.

At least the monster of the week was someone from Ichabod's past, so it made it a bit more personal this time, but I really do hope this aspect is wracking up soon.  I want to see what all this is leading up to, and what Pandora really as in store for Sleepy Hollow.

Joe has no idea how negotiation works.  You don't show them how desperate you are and you certainly don't offer up what they want on a silver platter!

Ichabod is finally "courting" Zoey, but at the same time, the Bones episode seem to hurling several anvils at Ichabod/Abbie, including even comparing them to Brennan/Both.  Then again, from what I heard, didn't take them a long freaking time to finally become a couple?

• Love 3

A really long freaking time. You know that trope that once a couple on TV gets together (aka When a man and a lady love each other very much and the network makes it a condition of renewal that the nice people go there while they still have some viewers left) they get boring and apathetic and no fun to watch? Bones is what happens when people who feel that way write a married couple. And it's actually on the upswing since the last of the original showrunners finally left. Bones and Castle (which is kind of time-lag Bones) are a big reason I don't trust the writers to make Ichabbie happen in any satisfying way.

And speaking of David Boreanaz, damn, how tall is Tom Mison? I knew he towered over Abbie, but he really towered over all of them.

I didn't recognize Bill Irwin (thank you, recap).

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

Fun crossover, even though it still feels random, but it was still fun.

Then again, from what I heard, didn't take them a long freaking time to finally become a couple?

Yes, it's a long running procedural.

• Love 1

Bill Irwin was in this episode? I must have missed his name in the credits.

This was a much better episode than the Bones episode. I think Hodgins might have been a better fit though and he could have actually spent some time in Sleepy Hollow.  Which also made me wonder, where is Sleepy Hollow that Ichabod and Abby can just drive over to the Jeffersonian when they need to? 

I find Zoe totally uninteresting, but those photos gave me a stalker vibe. She was dressed as Betsy Ross. With people commenting that they think Pandora and BR are the same person. I would almost go with Zoe and Betsy having some connection instead. Just because the Betsy Ross costume was a little too much. She looked more like freaking Little Bo Peep. 

I like the Greek fire weapons and the special effects of the soldiers disintegrating. 

• Love 4

Sorry.  Maybe because I was never a Bones person I just thought this was the corniest crossover idea ever.  X-Files would have made more sense to me.  On the other hand this whole show jumped down a rabbit hole/over a shark so horrifically last year I almost feel afraid to criticise any attempts that might extend its on-air life.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I don't watch 'Bones'.  Wasn't sure I really needed to watch it to then watch 'Sleepy'. 'Bones' kinda reminded me of 'Warehouse 13'. Thought the ep was poorly written. I likened it to the 'X Files' but without the sense of wonder.

Anyhoo, 'Sleepy' was more interesting.

I too thought that Zoe was dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the Halloween bowling night. Don't know if the original Betsy Ross is another time-type traveller/time-imprisoned person like Ichabod. If she has something to do with Pandora, perhaps there'll be a flashback sometimes to see Betsy as Pandora or Zoe who can morph in to Betsy. I'm still wondering what the tree's purpose is - each evil seems to bring up another bloom or growth. Maybe instead of being reactive, Ich and Abbs and the Scooby gang can do some pre-emptive research in to who Pandora is. I did enjoy her taking candy from the kid, though.

The soldiers reminded me a bit of the pirates in 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.

Ichabod is running out of legitimate historical figures to pop up in the show and its mythology.

Keeping the show from turning in to a bad rom-com has sunk many shows. People watch to see the angst, the looks, and wanting to pull the happy couple together. The 'romance' is now floundering with today's hook-ups, friends with benefits, etc.  No real struggle, no obstacles anymore unless they are contrived. The 'will they or won't they' keeps a lot of shows running past their shelf life. No idea what to do with the couple once they become a couple except insert more obstacles. That's how it works and no one will mess with the formula without it becoming mind-numbingly tedious. Perhaps it would be different if seasons were limited and the story contained to 4 or 5 13 episode seasons.

Did like the soldiers disintegrating. The Colonel/General took the easy way out. Thought he would materialize in front of Pandora with some sort of offering to her.

• Love 4

And speaking of David Boreanaz, damn, how hall is Tom Mison? I knew he towered over Abbie, but he really towered over all of them.

Six Foot One - So yeah, pretty tall (considering that I am so short!) Beharie is five foot even, so consider that disparity.

Great episode. Same with the Bones one before. I really liked them and surprisingly - the shows did mesh together.

Seriously - the reactions that the Bones' crew had about Ichabod Crane are the exact reactions I have been expecting from SH itself (from obscure residents). Yes, some people know about the Supernatural mess in SH, but others do not, therefore, serious side-eye over someone dressed as out of place as Crane.

Though Brennan catching him over the identical handwriting - goddammit! His "explanation" was not sufficient at all, but still - good save, Crane.

I really loved all of it. Partially, I wish I got into Bones. Never knew why I didn't, yet should have, because I love the forensic scientific explanations for the crimes. Love forensics, and how answers can be determined from mere fragments of bone. Damn.

I thought both Abbie and Crane fit in beautifully into the 'Bones' world. And I quite liked the episode. Appealed to the scientist/logical person in me,

Corbin Jr. and Jenny - can we get a spin-off show for these two, because - like Beharie and Mison - their chemistry is beautiful. Serously, spin-off please. Love them.

The Ichabbie shipping was a little much - as someone who desires it most assidously - it was out of place and seemed added needlessly - now I want some shipping man, but in the Bones episode, it just seemed liked pandering. It would NOT have seemed like pandering, if in the subsequent SH episode, that idea was reinforced. But, alas, no. *sigh*

Over all, it worked. It really did. I was entertained for 2 hours, found the characters brilliant and enjoyed each episode. So what was considered so crazy seemed to be more tame for the general public. Who knew?

Darn you Sleepy Hollow for making me watch Bones--we finally gave up on it about halfway through last season (though I think it should have ended a few seasons ago). As far as Bones episodes go (at least in recent years), it wasn't bad. Some of the reactions to Crane were amusing, though I don't like that Booth magically knew Corbin. And enough with the shipper anvils, Bones writers! 

I would have preferred Booth and Brennan not appear on Sleepy Hollow; it wasn't necessary. I did get a kick out of the fact that Abbie and Crane felt the same way about them tagging along that I did. Pandora's creepy makeup and the zombie red coats were awesome, but now that Frozendiva mentioned it, they did remind me of Pirates of the Caribbean.

The bowling scene was fun, and the intro Crane/Abbie scenes are almost always my favorite part of an episode. I'm glad I stopped to find the beginning online because someone at my Fox affiliate fell asleep at the wheel and went off the air between 9:02 and 9:10.

• Love 6
the Betsy Ross costume was a little too much. She looked more like freaking Little Bo Peep.

I was so relieved that Crane didn't recognize who she was trying to be. That costume was ridiculous.

I watch Bones, and I thought the characters fit into each others' worlds well, and interacted credibly. The mixing did make me realize, though, just how different the atmosphere of each show is. Bones is brightly lit and the tone is also light. It's a procedural with gorey effects but a somewhat sanitized and sunshiney happily-ever-after emotional tone. Sleepy Hollow is an action show, dimly lit, with a supernatural tone and a much gorier world view. I love how Bones mixes the gross-out corpses with the sanitized and sunny atmosphere. And I never really noticed how Sleepy Hollow is more of an action adventure than a procedural, but it seemed quite obvious tonight. The violent scenes last much longer than on Bones (Bones will have a tense moment, SH will have extended scenes of battle).

I agree about Jenny and Corbin, junior and a spin-off. They really could anchor an entire show. I like them with Abbie and Ick, but they're strong enough to hold their own as well.

In the Pandora story, she opens a box that lets all forms of pestilence and trouble loose in the world-- but the very last thing that finally emerges is hope. So perhaps once SH's Pandora gets all the things she's got on her list checked off, something good will come of it and the end result is not destruction but renewal.

• Love 5

Good episode. I liked the look and the storyline, but didn't think it was as strong as previous episodes. I thought General Whatshisface committing suicide was a copout and way too easy considering how much he loathed Crane. He should've been harder to kill.

I guess suicide is a legitimate interpretation and quite possibly the intent of the scene. I had a different read on it though. The Greek fire was supposed to represent an inescapable trap for Howe, I don't think it's possible for him to have escaped it and he did outlast his draughr. I saw his last words as him taking a final opportunity to taunt Crane before succumbing, not suicide. He was sufficiently defiant that I was left wondering if he'd return in another form. Hopefully

without the terrible makeup. It looked corny, not scary, like he'd escaped a haunted house attraction. In fact it might have given me more of a fright if he'd popped up in one of those at one point.  The historic Howe was much more intimidating than his reassembled undead self.

Overall, Zoe's attitude is cute and sweet, but like others, I would not be taken aback if she went bunny-boiler. It was funny to me that Zoe's costume was not just Betsy Ross , but a "Sexy" Betsy Ross costume, which was toned down compared to what Boobsy wears in flashbacks. More of Betsy being a kick-ass Mary Sue, sigh. I'd probably like it more if she was a compellingly written character and If I wasn't left wondering whether I was watching UCG or intentional humour that was falling flat. Whichever it is, she's too OTT to take seriously, but not funny enough to be fun. I've sort of liked the time-traveller theory to explain her, but I also like the one that was linked to in another thread that theorized she's a false memory formed from refashioned real ones that has been planted in Crane's mind.

I enjoyed the crossover episode. Good transition from one to the other and I had no feeling that I had to see one to understand the other. I dislike it when crossovers involve a cliffhanger to tie into the other show and prior viewing of the first show to understand the second. Even when it's well-written it's frustrating as hell if I view it out of the context of the original air-date.

Pandora going snake-faced to steal candy from a child was marvellous. I can not love that enough.

• Love 7

What I learned from this crossover... SH is way better than Bones. And I fucking loved Bones at the start (will never forgive them for not bringing Zack back).
I had fun with what I saw of Bones (tuned in late) and I like Ichabod being challenged and almost disliked for a change. While I enjoyed the way the leads paired off, the glaring pattern of Abbie only having significant bonds with older father figures/mentor is a little tiring. I liked the little bit we got of Brennan and Abbie butting heads over the jurisdiction of the body and I kind of wish they had done more scenes together.  And of course Booth knew Corbin...Everyone did apparently.

For the SH half, I would say it was my second favourite because the production value was much better and it really enhances the show.
Good stuff

• I like that General Howe was brought back, both the FB actor and the zombie version were great.
  • I like that we are getting a different coloured rose (awww...bye bye Zoe) and that they are going to reach some kind of milestone in the season arc, and it's about time since next week will be a third of the way through and the overall plot is way behind what it should be. Good news is I don't feel the sense of dread I did last year at the same episode count. 
  • I like how the A and B plots are converging, and I am scared for Jenny because I feel like Pandora will target her to get to Abbie
  • Pandora you creepster, never change and stay evil. I like characters with conviction (especially evil ones). Of course in her head she's not evil, that's what makes it great.
  • It's not good per say but it's not bad so I will be positive and say that Betsy didn't bother me this episode. I feel like they are focusing the BADASSTM part of her character instead of trying to sell her as the most awesome, ultimate womanest woman ever. And they had the balls to address their need to spice up Betsy Ross, even though it's ridiculous and, like Zoe's choice, is purely for Ichabod's benefit. They might be defending their choice but I will look at it as them making fun of themselves.
  • I like when they remember Ichabod was a soldier and a Captain, he should be always as awesome at fighting as he was tonight.

The bad

• Zoe was cute at first but every time since her first introduction they have tried harder and harder to make her cutesy and this acting like a shy 10 year old bullshit needs to stop. Especially when juxtaposed with how aggressive she is when expressing herself on electronic platforms.
  • The whole time Abbie was pushing Ichabod to date, I was like "nope, not here for that". That's just not her, she teases him and stuff and yeah, Abbie wouldn't tell him not to date but she wouldn't care whether he did or not. Since when is she the love coach type of bestie? And show, I want Abbie talking about her own damn relationship instead of focusing on Crane's. All they're doing by spending so much time on it is reminding me that aside from her father dilemma (really the Corbin stuff is more about Jenny who thought she knew everything while Abbie was always kept in the dark), the one big interpersonal storyline I was looking forward to was her and Daniel, which I am not getting. And the many times she pushed for it were just weird.
  • I have a problem because Abbie, outside of her being awesome when fighting, is not very fun this season. I feel like Nicole is tired of the show and it makes me wish for cancellation just so she can be free. Or maybe I am projecting. I don't know, she just seems bored. At least last season had a bigger budget so she could have fun with the action part of the show more but now... there is nothing really interesting happening here. It's not challenging for her, we are not exploring anything new in her character. I mean her having daddy issues was pretty clear and they are acting like the dad arc was resolved (I think they are distracting us but still). There is struggle between her professional life and Witnessing but she hasn't show the enthusiasm she had in the pilot where you could feel she felt at home at the FBI. And it's ok if she doesn't anymore but address it, impressive as it is to be able to get all these emotional cues from Nicole's face, the dialogue needs to show that the Show is intentionally addressing this conflict. Sigh...I have grievances. All I can hope for are more Abbie/Pandora scenes where they can talk about her fears more, because so far it's all implications.
  • Fix the Reynolds situation now writers. Fix it.
  • Need more Abbie/Jenny scenes. Stat. And Joe Ichabod scenes too for that matter.
Edited by fantique
  • Love 3

What was Abbie's costume supposed to be?

It's from Beyonce's new video "Flawless": 

(Shown here in color:)

tumblr_mxqknqogsv1rm5vhfo1_500.jpg

And here's Abbie: https://vine.co/v/eYLhmdn0UvB

I will be positive and say that Betsy didn't bother me this episode.

She was still not needed -- the scene in the tunnel was not important, and the other group could have been lead by anyone, but at least she wasn't all out as Busty Ross this time.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 3

She was still not needed -- the scene in the tunnel was not important, and the other group could have been lead by anyone, but at least she wasn't all out as Busty Ross this time.

Of course she was't. Which is why I said that the positive spin on my feelings is saying she didn't bother me. She's useless and ultimately inconsequential because we know what's in Crane's future. I hope the show treats her as such. I don't like her, I just no longer feel the need to claw my eyes out and burst my eardrums because of her presence on screen. I just hope they slowly dwindle her presence to nothing. I am just glad the show is aware that she's not working, she should've stayed as a one episode, short guest star idea she was at the beginning.

• Love 1

So Abbie barely had any screentime in the Bones hour, but they still managed to acknowledge her beauty and Booth had some true friendship and kind words to offer. I think she should follow her father's steps and move out of Sleppy Hollow. Three years in and the show still treats her like an ugly woman, whose so called friends always have ulterior motives. Who knew she'd find more kindness in the writers' room of a different show?

Has the SH budget for decent lighting been slashed to zero? Another thing, where Bones does so much better.

See, Tom Mison might be all kinds of awful as a romantic lead, but if Ichy's epic love had been between Ichy/Zoe from the beginning, instead of ichatrina, it would have been much more believable. She's more his league looks-wise and her never ending desire to flatter him is exactly what he needs. Unfortunately, Ichy ruined it, because he is still whining about Katrina. I thought the time jump was meant to avoid that?

I hope Ichy doesn't make Abbie pay his dinner with Zoe. He has no money, so it's either Abbie or Zoe, who will have to pay. 

Seeing Ichy in that fight was hilarious and worrying at the same time. It was like watching a spaghetto. I feared for Mison's fragile-looking physical integrity.

I feel like Nicole is tired of the show and it makes me wish for cancellation just so she can be free.

Same here, sadly. It's insulting enough to see her getting involved in Ichy's stupid love life, to prop him up. She gets no love story of her own, but it's okay for her to approve of his love interests, so that we accept it as well. Typical Goffman. I wonder if Campbell is taking instruction from him. They don't even play that as Abbie wanting her home for herself again, trying to get rid of that annoying moocher. They play it straight. Abbie, the matchmaker, who gets no love in the show or in the writers room. Gross.

• Love 2

I thought that the crossover was well done. I'm on and off with Bones, but I thought that the crossover was more effective in the Bones hour as far as "cast integration" goes; certainly because it's easier to make abstraction of the supernatural for Sleepy Hollow characters, than have Bones characters actually witness supernatural events.

My favorite scenes were the Brennan/Ichabod interactions, although it was weird that Brennan was the "smiling one".

By the way, one thing I found a little jarring was how standoffish Ichabod looked, imo, in the Bones universe. He has charming, endearing sides that were quite noticeably absent, at least for me. I'm not sure that non-SH Bones viewers would want to see more of him if they didn't watch the SH hour where he was more his usual self (again, imho).

My favorite part of the crossover, though, was when Abbie alluded to Irving. I still miss him and I still miss Orlando Jones on the show.

I liked way better the bone (har, har) thrown to shippers courtesy of Brennan, mostly because I found it funny, than Abbie playing matchmaker for Ichabod and Saccharine, I mean Zoe. I have no more use for her than for Betsy Ross, but above all, if they want to have a LI merry-go-round for Ichabod, please keep Abigail Mills out of it, thank you.

I also know that it's only normal and logical that Ichabod mourns for Katrina, after the "love of my life" fest of the previous seasons, but I can't help, any reminder of her is off-putting.

Although it was good to see Ichabod and Abbie fight another Back from the 18th century villain, the Jenny/Joe storyline actually interested me more than the A-plot, and I'm looking forward to the ramifications. Joe is a good addition to the show imo and he blends just right with the other core three.

• Love 2

I liked both hours as well:

1) Abbie as Beyonce...slay, hunni, SLAY! She was working those cut off shorts, man! How Ichabod could even see Zoe for the awesome that is Ms. Mills, I'll never know. I did enjoy Bones suggesting they go ahead & get busy lol.

2) Pandora is super creepy! Loved she came out in her true face and scared the candy outta the lil girl...and was she dressed as Cookie??!?!??! I see you, show!

3) No to Abbie being a Ichabod/Zoe shipper. Last episode she seemed concerned about the amount of texting going on, like she was wondering if this chick might be a little looney. She needs to maintain that scepticism cuz that chick ain't right, I can feel it. She just so happens to dress as Betsy Ross? Who else does she know that's partial to colonial era garb? Uh huh. Again, I see you show!

4) As awesome as Pandora is as a villain, SBR is the complete opposite as a so-called heroine. But the funny thing is, why are they waiting to show her until more than halfway through the episode? I wonder if, TPTB told the showrunner 'Hey, after the disaster of CFD, don't shove SBR into things too much until we get a feel if the audience accepts her.' I feel like there were other scenes with Crane and SBR but they were cut. I dunno, just a feeling I had. I know I certainly have made my feelings about her clear on those Project Fox polls. They have to see that Shannyn is much more popular as a villain than Ian Somerhalder's wife is as a patriot.

• Love 7

Never thought I would, but I loved the crossover. I stopped watching Bones ages ago; nice to see Brennan has evolved slightly.

I loved her Ichabbie shipping, and Ichabod's flustered reply. She and Booth fit in pretty well.

General Howe and his undead army were a lot of fun, And Pandora is a terrific villain.

I'm getting the feeling that her scheme is going to lead up to a betrayal of Crane and/or Jenny by Abbie. I don't get everyone saying Nicole seems tired of her role and wants out; I think we're just seeing a return to early season 1 Abbie Mills. She's tough, driven, career-focused, and again torn between her rise up the law-enforcement ladder and her duty as a witness.

Let's not forget that Abbie let her little sister rot in an institution for how many years because she protected herself; in the season premiere, I never got the impression that she was angry at Crane for staying away without any word - I think she was angry he was BACK.

I think Pandora will use this to make Abbie abandon Crane in a moment of danger, or maybe even Jenny. Crane had his crisis of duty last season with the Katrina-Henry debacle, I think it's Abbie's turn now.

Back to the ep, was I imagining a Star Wars shout-out when Crane, trapped with Brennan and Greek Fire, said, "I have a bad feeling about this"?

• Love 1

I enjoyed it all. 

This was only the second episode I've ever seen on Bones (first being the JFK episode) but I thought it was good.  I thought Ichabod and Brennan worked really well together and I enjoyed their scenes at the end.  Particularly the handwriting one.  I've thought for a while that Crane might start trying to explain away him being in 1781 by stating it was an ancestor. A name like Ichabod could be explained away as being an old family name. 

Was nice to see Abbie work a normal FBI case.  I didn't mind Booth knowing Corbin but I kept waiting for an explanation on HOW he knew him.

One thing I thought was funny was that guy (I don't know who the character's name is) talking about all the unsolved murders and disappearances in Sleepy Hollow, which definitely shows the ludicrousness of SH.

Really liked the second part.  General Howe and the undead army was awesome and the scenes with them were creepy and effective.  Pandora continues to remain creep number one and I love it.

Howe was a good villain for Crane even if the real General Howe died in 1814.

While I would like to see more of the "civilian" POV on Sleepy Hollow, I do feel like they've made efforts at making the town itself more of a character this season.

Sexy Betsy Ross is still not working.

Loved the bowling scene.

Agreed about Jenny and Joe...I've enjoyed their subplot and I like how it's converging with the main plot.

• Love 3

I also know that it's only normal and logical that Ichabod mourns for Katrina, after the "love of my life" fest of the previous seasons, but I can't help, any reminder of her is off-putting.

Same here, especially since it was all "she was the bestest EVAH!!!!"  My mom loved my dad and they were a much better team than Ich and Kat, but when he died, she refused to let people turn him into a super-hero,

Bones has been a deeply stupid show since around Season 3. We didn't really need proof this definitive.

Here's what I said on the Bones: The Ressurection In The Remains topic:

So let me get this straight... On this science-y show:

Joel has his heart stopped and started and he's able to find, hold and whack Sarah with a 200-year-old skull, which does not crumble or even break.  Her artery opens which causes her blood to shoot straight up, with no drops at all hitting the table or the floor.

I may have missed something when the illium carpesium was struck by the titanium oxide hitting the scapular frisbee.

From what I'm seeing there was very little crossover effect -- I doubt either show picked up many new watchers.

The Sleepy Hollow episode was ok.  

This is the first episode of Bones I have ever seen, and I thought it was absolutely dreadful.  I don't watch regular procedurals like NCIS, CSI, etc., and I thought it was horrible.  Every line of dialogue was such obnoxious exposition, and I also found the line delivery to be exceptionally bad.  Terrible acting all around in my opinion.

• Love 6

This was a much better episode than the Bones episode. I think Hodgins might have been a better fit though and he could have actually spent some time in Sleepy Hollow.  Which also made me wonder, where is Sleepy Hollow that Ichabod and Abby can just drive over to the Jeffersonian when they need to? 

I was a little disappointed Hodgins didn't get to go with them to the crazy Masonic Greek-fire-spewing crypt--he would have loved that.

Overall, Zoe's attitude is cute and sweet, but like others, I would not be taken aback if she went bunny-boiler. 

I've got my fingers crossed that Zoe goes a little bonkers.  I do not need to see Crane's dating life--especially after seeing his abysmal married life.  I would like to see him get his citizenship and get a real job and pay Abbie some rent. 

I didn't watch the Bones half yet--I stopped watching that show when Bones had the baby (because, say it with me, babies ruin everything).  But in the SH half I really, really loved seeing Booth get all impatient with Abbie talking about puzzles and just shooting the hell out of the panel to free Crane and Bones.  It almost made me want to start watching Bones again because I used to love that part of Booth's character.

As for the rest of it, I enjoyed it for the most part.  The bowling/costumes was fun (aside from Zoe who I also thought was Little Bo Peep), the fight scenes were fun, Pandora stealing candy was fun.  But I totally agree that Abbie needs something more to do than deal with Crane's damn love life.  We saw enough of that last season, thankyouverymuch.

• Love 3

Given all the negativity here about Bones, I feel rather brave admitting that I've watched every episode from the beginning and I still enjoy it.  I especially admire the way the show got Booth and Bones together as a married couple without having it seem like a desperation move--to me, their relationship evolved very naturally from co-workers to spouses.  If Abbie and Ichabod are destined to become a couple, I hope it's handled as smoothly.

I really liked the crossover.  It was very clever of the writers to meld these two very different shows together in a way that allowed each show to stay true to its genre.  The viewers of Sleepy Hollow know the truth about Ichabod Crane and that made it fun to watch the very grounded characters of Bones interact with him while not knowing that truth.  I agree that Bones and Booth weren't really needed in the Sleepy Hollow episode, but I still enjoyed watching their reactions to the underground world with its moving walls and mysterious symbols.  Happy Harpy is right that it wouldn't have worked to completely incorporate the Bones characters into the Sleepy Hollow episode because they don't fit into a supernatural world as well as the Sleepy Hollow characters can fit into the real world.

Back to the ep, was I imagining a Star Wars shout-out when Crane, trapped with Brennan and Greek Fire, said, "I have a bad feeling about this"?

That was my thought, too.

• Love 5

Given all the negativity here about Bones, I feel rather brave admitting that I've watched every episode from the beginning and I still enjoy it.  I especially admire the way the show got Booth and Bones together as a married couple without having it seem like a desperation move--to me, their relationship evolved very naturally from co-workers to spouses.  

I'm sort of surprised to hear that, because our perceptions are so different. The network apparently held up renewal until the showrunners agreed to get them together, they XFiled them together offscreen, and then they separated them for most of the next season. I thought it was a textbook attempt to technically get them together without showing them as a couple. Right out of Moonlighting, actually. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Watching "Bones" was painful. All the characters seem so boring and Emily's monotone voice was annoying. I'm not sure what the point of the crossover was.

Of course, they had to shoehorn Betsy Ross in.

Not only Awesome (sigh) Betsy from Ichabod's flashbacks, but Zoey's costume too.

Though I would have loved it if she'd asked more people and every one (including Ichabod) would have said "I dunno - Sexy Little Bo Peep, I guess?"

It would have been awesome, like the episode of Community when everyone thought Shirley's Glinda the Good Witch costume was Miss Piggy.

Though I will say that I liked that Ichabod didn't know who Zoey was until she told him. Ha.

I would have loved a bit where Abbie asked him something like, "So, what did you think of my costume?"

Ichabod: "Capital! I believe the ditty implies that you woke up like this?"

And Abbie would have been all surprised, demanding to know who spilled the beans about her costume (just wanted to add that I loved her Beyonce costume - girl was on fire. C'mon Ichabod, wake up and see the Abbie).

I also like that Ichabod was so annoyed that no one knew he was supposed to be John Adams - I would have gone for Mozart myself, what with the fancy waistcoat.

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 1

I thought it was a textbook attempt to technically get them together without showing them as a couple. Right out of Moonlighting, actually.

I lost patience with Moonlighting after briefly liking it at the beginning of it's run.  They were all tease with no meat and the teasing stopped being of interest early on. If the writers only write to the tease, they are never going to be capable of writing an actual interesting relationship. Fortunately one of the few happy accidents coming out of the rise of Katrina is that the witnesses developed a bond in terms of their working relationship while the disruption provided by the wigstand ensured that it wasn't always smooth sailing between them.   Their relationship, wherever it goes, already has had an arc. Much as I would love to see them paired, I don't think their romantic life needs to be a time-suck that follows a well-worn, dull path of lots of tease with very little development of their actual connection. 

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 3

I watch both Bones and Sleepy Hollow (tho' I did boycott Bones for several seasons after the then show runner made Zach the Gormogons apprentice). The cross over meshed much better than I thought it would. I do agree that the Bones half worked better than the Sleepy Hollow epi. I loved that although Cranes explanation for the similarity in handwriting was nonsense, Bones found that explanation more palatable than the only other explanation because that would have jarred her rational world. (How's that for a run on sentence?)

OK - Pandora is irretrievably evil - she stole that kid's Halloween candy and made her cry. EVIL,

• Love 3

I'm happy to see that the crossover stunt worked and gave SH a decent ratings bump. It was worth it then. But for me personally, I hate Bones and couldn't make myself watch their half. It doesn't seem like it was necessary though. I also didn't enjoy the cameos in our half, but whatever.

I can't really fairly judge the episode as a whole due to the Bones stuff, so all I'll say is I liked their Halloween costumes and Pandora randomly stealing some kid's candy. However, as much as I like Pandora, the barely there and hardly moving myth arc with her isn't doing anything for me and I'm bored with the MoTW focus. Even when the 1st season did MoTW, most of the time the monsters themselves or the investigation into them carried emotional weight - the Sandman with Abbie's guilt, the key of Solomon with the sister's anger, John Doe with Crane almost dying and Abbie's crisis of faith etc. Without the emotional resonance and without the fast and crazy myth arc, the show feels like a hollow shell to me.

• Love 5

OK - Pandora is irretrievably evil - she stole that kid's Halloween candy and made her cry. EVIL,

Watching her let the truck driver live I would say more mischievous evil. Thr scaring is as much of the Halloween tradition as the "sexy" Betsy Ross costume. And its being Halloween insurees no lasting damage a strong arm robbery of candy any other time might bring.
  • Love 1

This is the first time I've watched Bones this season and wasn't disappointed. I liked the dynamics of the two show together. I want to see a crossover with SH and Supernatual. I know they are different networks, it would be soooo cool. Anywho, Pandora has been keeping the Witnesses too busy for them to investigate her. I really think she is testing them with the final being what ever fruit that tree bears.

• Love 2

Badsamaritan: Abbie as Beyonce...slay, hunni, SLAY! She was working those cut off shorts, man! How Ichabod could even see Zoe for the awesome that is Ms. Mills, I'll never know. I did enjoy Bones suggesting they go ahead & get busy lol.

You know, I could see this? The way Abbie is dressed is not how Ichabod has been conditioned to see a sexy, desirable woman, even though I'm sure she'd have to beat everyone else away with a stick.

L'il Bo Peep might have been quite strategic in her course of costume (who are we kidding? Of course she was), because while she was just intending to match his love of history, that's actually closer to the type of women's attire that would get his attention in his own culture.

Put Abbie in a long flowy dress and his eyes would probably fall out.

I only watched the Bones half of the crossover, which was my very first introduction to Sleepy Hollow, and I have to say that Ichabod is an extremely charming character. I can see why that show became a hit.

With the exception of the middle of Season 2 (which tried everyone's patience), this is a show worth watching if you liked Ichabod. And Abbie is awesome. And we need viewers so this doesn't get cancelled, so please consider it! :)

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 2

Yeah, but the kid wouldn't say "thank you" and ran away from her mom.  I don't think she deserved the candy ;)

• Love 5

I hadn't seen Bones before, and while I thought the crossover was decent, I found the acting on Bones to be rather clumsy, and Brennan is a bit annoying.  Booth seems okay though.  I wasn't really sold on them as a couple, however.  

Something about Zoe seems off to me, as in maybe a potential stalker.  It just seems like she is needy or clingy or trying way too hard.  

Pandora stealing the Halloween candy = Priceless!  

• Love 5

Damn Pandora. Literally stealing candy from babies. Thats low, girl. 

I actually liked this more than I was expecting to, even though the idea of Bones and Sleepy Hallow existing in the same universe just continue to weird me out. Does this make them part of the St. Elsewhere universe, AKA the greatest and most bizarre cross over theory ever? I think it does. 

I have not watched Bones in years, so I was surprised to hear that Booth and Temp have kids now? Good for them. All that sexual tension had to lead to something eventually. 

I just do not get the Betsy Ross stuff. Why is she coming up now all the sudden all the time, when Crane has never mentioned her before? Is she was constantly bumping into him in her magical Betsy adventures, why is it all coming up now? And whats the point? Unless she comes to the future or she actually is a time traveler, why does Crane need her as a kinda love interest? The only theory I have is that she is, somehow, connected to Pandora. thats why all of Pandoras stuff is reminding Crane of her. 

I actually kind of like the "science vs. magic" parts of the episode. Its weird, but I like when different genres have to deal with each other. 

• Love 3

I used to watch Bones -- stopped after they killed poor Vincent Nigel-Murray who was my favorite squintern.  So i had no problem, falling into both shows.  Each show did its thing.

- I loved seeing everybody's costume.  Abbie as Bey was perfection. Nice nod to Lyndie Greenwood's Canadian-ness to have Jenny dressed as a Mountie.

- I am not sure where the show is going with Zoe. She doesn't get a lot of face time at all, but you hear about her a lot.  She seems like she has the potential to become a nightmare girlfriend.  At least that is what it seems they are laying the groundwork for.

- Also I found it odd that at the top of the show Abbie snarkily called her 'Hoop Dreams' (Ha! The shade of it all) but at the end encouraged Ichabod to date her. I am wondering if she has an ulterior motive.  Possibly to keep Ichabod occupied while she works on the FBI stuff or maybe subconsciously pushing him away because she is starting to feel a little too much for him?  When they were in the tunnels separated with Abbie & Booth on one side and Brennad and Ichabod on the other, Abbie's kept calling for Crane.  She actually sounded scared for him.  Mind you, she and Crane had been in much more terrifying circumstances before. I mean they were in Purgatory for Goodness sake.  I have a feeling something is gonna come to a head with their feelings for each other. May not be a a total match up this season...but something is gonna shift.

- I liked how the scene as they discussed Katrina was shot.  Ichabod and Abbie were completely in dark silhouette.  You couldn't see their facial expressions at all.  Only their voices.   It gave a nice sense of distance because you didn't have to see Ichabod looking sad or pained or regretful or anything.

- One thing I enjoyed about the cross over was how much of the Sleepy Hollow secret the audience was in on.  The letter was a fun thing because we know that it was Ichabod.  And since Brennan's scientific mind couldn't possibly accept what we know to be true, she had to accept that completely implausible explanation of inherited handwriting. And Ichabod and Abbie kept sending each other Important Glances because, of course, they know.

- Although Abbie didn't get a lot of face time on Bones, what she did get worked great.  She and David Boreanaz worked really well off each other.  And I actually enjoyed Hodges reaction to Ichabod the best.  Although I call foul on him fistbumping ichabod.  Nobody but Abbie can fistbump ichabod!

- And finally, I liked the Cookie Lyon costume.  LOL. 

• Love 5

Damn Pandora. Literally stealing candy from babies. Thats low, girl. 

I actually liked this more than I was expecting to, even though the idea of Bones and Sleepy Hallow existing in the same universe just continue to weird me out. Does this make them part of the St. Elsewhere universe, AKA the greatest and most bizarre cross over theory ever? I think it does. 

I actually kind of like the "science vs. magic" parts of the episode. Its weird, but I like when different genres have to deal with each other. 

It does mean that ultimately, unless they head canon the crossover as the  St Elsewhere snow globe, Bones in her worldview is wrong, end of story. She might not believe in any individual sects mythology, like the Sleepy Hollow itself doesn't but supernatural forces are around even if she can science the way the supernatural force did it. Perhaps FOX could have done it to relaunch the X-Files miniseries. The aborted crossover the X-Files had with Picket Fences was a thing of beauty in the set up. I understand CBS nixed the deal in the end and on Picket Fences used their own reoccurring exasperated FBI character instead of Scully and Mulder.

• Love 3

Didn't Corbin, jr. warn Crane against taking any matchmaking advice from the Mills sisters? Wasn't that a scene, where they were sitting in a car... maybe last week? If I didn't make that up, then maybe Abbie advising Ich to go after Zoe is meant to be a sign of how off she (Zoe) is. I'd like that. I also like that Ich seems ambivalent. They've written him to basically be attracted to every woman who rings his homesickness bells for 200 years ago. Re-enactors, historic preservationists, ladies in costume. But to make him self-aware about that, and ambivalent, rather than making him just a cad who will go for any female who seems familiar, I think would be a better development.

I like it too. It doesn't bother me that the two realities can't both be true. I think that Sleepy Hollow's situation is supposed to be anomalous, not the everyday situation all over the world, so it's not like Brennan was being mocked as stupid; she was just unfamiliar with the very weird SH reality warp. She's not really any more skeptical of things like this than a lot of peole in real life who aren't nearly as socially awkward OR scientifically-oriented as she is. I bet Booth would be more open to the supernatural, and Bones often shows the two of them arguing about those kinds of issues. I also think Hodgins would have loved being on site to help with the SH forensics. They have some pretty amazing creatures he could study....

I just do not get the Betsy Ross stuff. Why is she coming up now all the sudden all the time, when Crane has never mentioned her before? Is she was constantly bumping into him in her magical Betsy adventures, why is it all coming up now? And whats the point? Unless she comes to the future or she actually is a time traveler, why does Crane need her as a kinda love interest? The only theory I have is that she is, somehow, connected to Pandora. thats why all of Pandoras stuff is reminding Crane of her.

Pandora/Betsy overlaps coming to some canon fruition would be particularly gratifying for me, because I still have trouble telling the actresses apart. I'd love to believe they cast them to create a subliminal confusion, and that my facial recognition problems are working to my advantage is sussing it out....

• Love 3