Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Wild Card

thewhiteowl

Okay...I'm not the only one who was just underwhelmed by everything.

And just...okay...look, the town is officially cut off from the rest of the world right? But, the cell phones work? Sure, they can have a Verizon tower, but, the cell phones work? And what about food? Shouldn't there be some organization to check on food stores? And fuel? I know I'm overthinking here, but the fucking tarot card reader was open for business and yet no one is wondering how they are going to get gas when it runs out.

Also, the tarot lady actor was terrible.

I hated Charlotte and Audrey doing the handreach pose of super woman-ness repeatedly.

Duke is always entertaining, but he's totally spinning his wheels. I like that he caught onto the faker dude quickly. They need to get him back to Haven NOW.

• Love 6

This episode was actually watcheable, finally they seem to be answering some of the big questions although some it was rather obvious.

And Charlotte is conveniently gone to make getting answers more difficult. So they're telling us that they hadn't asked or told Charlotte about Croatoan even though she is the only person who could have known more until now? They need to really strain credulity to retain the mystery I guess at this stage.

I really want to know what Duke is and the whole mystery about the Crocker curse.

I hope this signals a return to form for the series.

Edited by BlueJay81

Moving over from the wrong thread (argh)

I actually liked this one. Yeah, the tone was darker (and the fact that they seem to be now shooting in the fall rather than their regular summer shoots adds to that sense), but the Trouble seemed like the kind of thing they might have encountered earlier, just with different stakes. There was even the dose of humor with Nathan getting cursed with bad luck. It's about time they had to deal with a Trouble that can't just be turned off with an amateur psychology session, since we do have two main characters who have Troubles that can't be turned off. We did see how last week's episode built to this, since it relied on Audrey and Charlotte creating a mother/daughter bond, and that also added to the gut punch of Charlotte's death here. It wasn't just some random woman she just met who's supposedly her mother dying in her arms. It's now someone she thinks of as a mother. And I thought Nathan's solution and the question he asked was rather brilliant. I found myself holding my breath during that scene.

But I am ready for Duke to get back to Haven. The dynamic works better when he's in the mix, and I'd far rather watch Duke and Nathan working together than Nathan and Dwight. I wonder if there was some off-camera reason why they needed Duke to be separate, like Eric Balfour having some kind of conflict that meant he had to shoot all his parts separately either earlier than all the other stuff or after all the other stuff and then edited in. Since they shot this season about a year ahead of time, they could easily have shot things totally out of sequence.

Their mythology is starting to sound a lot like folklore about the fae. We have the ridiculously attractive, immortal, powerful people from another realm who tend to be cruel and capricious and think of humans as lesser beings for them to play with. The borderland between realms is a dangerous place, and bad things tend to happen when people open gateways between realms. But if Audrey and Charlotte are never-aging immortals, what's the deal with Dave? He's from that world, but he's aged normally. Is he a different kind of being? Or may it turn out that Audrey and Charlotte would age if they stayed in our world? Audrey's spent most of her time in the Barn, only coming out for a few months every 27 years.

Wow, that was a giant waste of time. Duke's scenes were, as always, the most enjoyable part, but even those felt like filler. Eight episodes left, and I wonder how many of them will just kill time until they throw a bucket of answers at us and vanish.

Okay...I'm not the only one who was just underwhelmed by everything.

No, no you are not.

But I am ready for Duke to get back to Haven. The dynamic works better when he's in the mix, and I'd far rather watch Duke and Nathan working together than Nathan and Dwight.

Can't happen soon enough for me. I like Dwight well enough, and IMO he's one of three characters TPTB have added who actually works, but he and Nathan are dullsville as partners - both stoic, tough, by the books. Yawn. Duke really adds the wild card element (no pun intended) that makes other characters more dynamic, and his presence in Haven is sorely lacking.

Their mythology is starting to sound a lot like folklore about the fae. We have the ridiculously attractive, immortal, powerful people from another realm who tend to be cruel and capricious and think of humans as lesser beings for them to play with. The borderland between realms is a dangerous place, and bad things tend to happen when people open gateways between realms.

Very interesting points, Shanna Marie. Unfortunately, I have no faith that this show could do such a cool storyline justice.

Other thoughts:

I'm so sick of shows using tarot and the metaphysical as a plot point or a joke. It's beyond trite at this point. Which leads me to...

It feels like the writers have totally run out of ideas for Troubles, and since they long ago tossed whatever show bible they might've had out the window, now they're just pulling stuff out of their butts. And why did they put Bad Luck Guy try in charge of fixing the Trouble?

So last week whenever Seth got so many yards away from Duke he forgot him. This week, it's not mentioned. WTH?

As always, love Gloria. She's so much fun. Bert and Ernie - hee.  "Who wants to test it out?"

Here's hoping the show picks up very soon. I'd hate to see Haven go out with a whimper instead of a bang.

• Love 3

But if Audrey and Charlotte are never-aging immortals, what's the deal with Dave? He's from that world, but he's aged normally. Is he a different kind of being?

Didn't Charlotte in one of her info dumps say Dave was half-human, the product of a liaison between a visitor from the other world to ours. One assumes the inevitable little ones born to Nathan-Audrey will age normally too.
  • Love 1

I was really expecting the advertised character death to be one of the Teagues. Especially once Charlotte got attacked in the darkness, because that distorted voice sounded a lot like Dave and I was assuming she was going to unwittingly kill him to get at whatever was possessing him.

I was really expecting the advertised character death to be one of the Teagues. Especially once Charlotte got attacked in the darkness, because that distorted voice sounded a lot like Dave and I was assuming she was going to unwittingly kill him to get at whatever was possessing him.

It did sound like Dave at first, but then toward the end I thought it sounded like the actor I think is going to be Croatoan. (I was listening to hear similarity, so maybe I wished it).

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

Was anyone else screaming at the TV (silently or not) for Nathan to have a new card drawn first, so that his bad luck wouldn't affect the other draws?

I did have that thought while watching, but his bad luck really did seem to be centered on him. I don't think it would have affected Charlotte or Audrey's draws.

I haven't watched this episode yet. But wow, 15 replies compared to 32 for the last episode. That shows how much this show has fallen this season. I think I'll let them pile up on DVR and watch them when I bored. 

• Love 1