Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: LCD Soundsystem

Oh dear. Poor Gretchen. She thought that she had found a couple that could be her and Jimmy, and they turned out to be just as dysfunctional as her relationship is. The grass is never greener.  Too bad the guy was such a creeper

• Love 1

Oh, Gretch, puppy napping is never a good sign! I really feel for her. I know what it's like to have one of those Sliding Doors moments where you wonder how different your life might be if you had made different choices and that's even harder to deal with when you're depressed, but the fact is that depression isn't about having a good life and having a different life doesn't mean that the alternate life would be depression-free. It's too easy to think that if you had made different choices then your life would be different and you wouldn't be depressed, but the worst thing about depression is when you don't really have a reason to be depressed. I have been depressed after the usual big events (moving, breakups, deaths) but at least then I understood why. It was much more frustrating when I was depressed for no discernible reason.

And who the fuck names a dog Sandwiches?

• Love 4

I don't even think that guy was that much of a creeper.  He was just... not perfect.  A little bit of Peter Pan syndrome, but not that much; he walks the dog and he puts away the groceries when his wife took over the old school Tetris (?) game on the Gameboy.  I don't really think he was trying to put any moves on Gretchen, but he did miss some of the fun of his pre-parent life, and that alone was enough to destroy the fantasy Gretchen had of Rob and Liza's life.

That said, I can't really excuse him for using that "it's like... what??" line twice in twenty seconds. That's fairly unforgivable.

As with the last few episodes, Aya Cash absolutely crushed it in so many scenes - obviously that last scene was amazing; her crying is so expressive, but her micro-expressions while trying to keep a polite face on were also so on point.

(But I had to cringe-watch both the quasi-kidnapping and the real, albeit temporary, dognapping.

probably spoilers for next episode:

Based on what's been written before the season about casting -- Jimmy's entire family, I think -- and the description for next episode, I'm guessing Gretchen wasn't listening about Jimmy's punishment-based system and just mailed those letters straight off.

Edited by arc
  • Love 3

arc: I agree. He expressed a (perfectly natural, IMO) desire sometimes to escape and the sense that his life was not only not what he really expected but that he didn't fully recognize it as *his*. He asked her to text him sometime when she *and* Jimmy were going out for drinks; he didn't try to get her to meet him on their own. So he was expressing exaxtly what Gretchen is feeling about her life - and so poppeth the bubble of fantasy. And all set up from the opening scene, when Lexi and husband walk past Jimmy's house and see the huge bins filled with empty bottles and sigh nostalgically: "I hate them". What makes this couple so strong, though, was that they share all their doubts and unhappiness with each other.

It was very cleverly done. For a second I thought I was watching the wrong show - like the opening moments of the Superstar episode of Buffy. Totally agree re spoiler: thought it was obvious.

I had trouble placing Tara Summers: last saw her with her own English accent (and blonde hair) on BOSTON LEGAL.

Edited by wendyg
  • Love 2

I loved that Jimmy got so excited about seeing the treehouse. Even more hilarious that afterward he said it was the most boring treehouse ever.

It was very cleverly done. For a second I thought I was watching the wrong show - like the opening moments of the Superstar episode of Buffy.

I thought I was watching the wrong show for a second too!

I had trouble placing Tara Summers: last saw her with her own English accent (and blonde hair) on BOSTON LEGAL.

I saw on the very short-lived Rake last year (still blonde and with her own accent) so I didn't recognize her at first with brown hair and an American accent!

Aya Cash is killing it this season.  My heart broke watching that last scene where it seemed like her whole world came crashing down around her b/c what she thought she wanted was just that, too good to be true.  

If this show was on another network, one of the main ones she would be bringing home some nominations for her acting this season, and it's a shame she won't be b/c the acting she does w/ her face is incredible.

I was kinda pissed at the nanny though, for acting like a bitch.  Yes, last "we" saw Gretchen was abducting the child, or so we thought, but to give a total stranger a child...seriously?!  It just made me mad that when Gretchen finally handed the child back to her, she acted like Gretchen was some wicked child abductor.

• Love 1

The whole team, top to bottom, this season has been fantastic! Falk and Aya Cash are really standing out in flushing this story out.

I think what we saw here were the widening cracks in Gretchen's sarcastic armor. Armor that Jimmy obviously still keeps meticulously maintained by the way. Flash back to the House Party episode, and Gretchen's abject horror at her friends who were growing up, and of course the one who refused to, and was sliding back the other way. The way that episode was written it appeared at the time that Gretchen had fallen into that chasm between being young and vibrant and being the responsible adult but that she was happy with that. Since then, it's looked more and more like that evening really had an impact on her, forcing some self reflection on what she truly wants.

This episode was the manifestation of the "grown-up" fantasy she never really thought she had, which made the shattered facade all that much more chilling.

Kudos for leaving Lindsay out of this episode as well. As much as I love her and she makes me laugh, her big personality would have de-railed the theme and sense of the episode.

• Love 3

Stephen Falk is a gifted writer.  I really liked his style of directing tonight.  I'm kind of blown away by his talent, actually.

Seconded! This episode could stand alone as a short film. I couldn't believe how fully realized the story and characters were, in regards to Lexi and Rob (Justin Kirk and Tara Summers were fire). 

That moment in the store when Gretchen is standing at the pharmacy's closed register: it felt like such a small moment, but in the context of her arc, that frame was so goddamn sad. The scene with the baby was thrillingly disconcerting. The music this season has been excellent, especially with this particular episode. Each note made a scene much more effective. To see Gretchen so happy with the dog also made me nervous and solemn. And to watch Gretchen's bubble of this hopeful ideal burst so brutally was a wallop to the gut. 

That "slave to coolness" line...savage. Whew.

Overall, this was fascinating to watch, and I'm still trying to process. Definitely an episode that deserves multiple viewings. 

Edited by inyourmarrow
  • Love 6

Really minor nitpick, but in the closeups on Rob and Lexi's conversation early in the episode, on their walk home after the diner, there's a lot of obvious VFX blurring on the reflections in their sunglasses.  Probably had to be done to cut out the reflections of the cameras, but man it was distracting.

In the final scene, it's so well directed - Jimmy and Gretchen are framed equally in shot in a handheld tracking (? is that the word?) shot as they walk towards the camera, which is backing up with them, and the natural bobbing camouflages first a move that almost pushes Gretchen out of frame, then bobs back as the camera completely cuts Jimmy out, swinging back to Gretchen and eventually putting her dead center as she starts losing it.

Or take the grocery scene where she almost kidnapped the kid. As Gretchen takes her and Lupe goes off, the music changes to this light, whimsical, dream-like music of a kind that we've never seen in this series before.

I think I found the other couple more interesting than Gretchen and Jimmy. At least they were dealing with the real-life changes that happen when you make choices.

Depression or no, Gretchen, grow the fuck up. You kidnap a dog, and stalk a nanny with a baby, just so you can see what that kind of life is like? You should have been arrested. And in any case, realize that you can choose that life for yourself. You're not too old, you have many options in front of you. Second, be mature enough to realize that not everyone else's life is as perfect as you might think from the outside. When the guy vented a bit about where he has found himself (in a way that I found normal and not creepy at all), that's useful info from which you can learn, not cause for a breakdown.

I find Gretchen's behavior annoying. It's easy to say "depression" to excuse it all. But really, she is more in a state of arrested development and just now realizing that every decision she made may not have been the best possible one for her. The times where she made fun of normal but nerdy people, or didn't respect the rules of the yogert shop because, well, she's too cool for that? That attitude comes with consequences. She reminds me of some of my musician friends who partied and enjoyed that lifestyle in their 20s and 30s foregoing a career or education, and then in their 40s and 50s began to realize that it's ending and what else do they have? 

• Love 2

Brilliant and fascinating episode!  It sure seems like Gretchen and Jimmy are going in different directions.  Like it or not, he is maturing and evolving while Gretchen is breaking down.  Not sure if there will be repercussions from this episode but Gretchen is damn lucky she is not in jail. Talk about moments that can change your life. This episode could change the premise of the show.

I totally thought the guy was hitting on Gretchen. 

• Love 1
It may not be entirely reasonable to expect mature, reasoned behavior from the leads of a show called YOU'RE THE WORST.

That's the thing. I love this show when everyone is being who they are. They owned it, and I have no problem with that. I have begun to detest it from the moment the show began to position Gretchen's depression as a deep, meaningful motivation for her actions. At that point, the connection between the show's title and its characters' actions diverged. 

• Love 2

in any case, realize that you can choose that life for yourself.

My takeaway is that Gretchen knows that life would feel just as awful as the life she has and that is devastating.

• Love 6

I had thought Rob wasn't that creepy, but in Sepinwall's review he said Rob sidled right up to the line of hitting on Gretch, and Alison Bennett (writer) did suggest he was a "whisper dad"*, sooo...... I was probably wrong.  I dunno. The AV Club review thought the other way. I could argue that it ultimately isn't as important as just tearing down the illusion of cool adult life Gretch saw in Rob and Lexi.

* not familiar with the term, but I feel pretty sure I can guess the meaning.

• Love 1

Not high on the comedy, but this was a great episode. Its rare I have to watch a so called sitcom twice to catch everything, but this will take a rewatch.

Also I just started watching this season and kind of sporadically, I keep forgetting to DVR it after The League, so that doesn't help in placing it all together.

Also I just started watching this season and kind of sporadically, I keep forgetting to DVR it after The League, so that doesn't help in placing it all together.

It's not serialized-serialized, in the sense that there's a single season-long plot that is advanced every episode and that's all that matters, but both s1 and s2 were plotted out to have character and plot arcs and so are quite satisfying to watch in order.

What a weird, interesting episode this is. Not a huge laugh inducer, but very sharply written, and fascinating to think about.

I`m with Jimmy on the name of the dog. I mean, sandwiches? Really?

I watched the scene with Gretchen and the dad, and I really don't think he was hitting on her. I just think the guy is feeling unfulfilled, and wants to recapture some of that "fun, crazy" life she and Jimmy supposedly have. He did come off as rather douchy though. Or maybe, just that he is unhappy to, despite him having a seemingly great life. Poor Gretchen. Her fantasy life really was just a fantasy.   

• Love 1

I agree, I didn't feel he was hitting on Gretchen, just that he was so desperate the go out and be included w/ the fun people...who have two trash cans overflowing of empty bottles of booze.  I do think though that once he got to know Jimmy and Gretchen more he would push to see if they "swing" b/c i'm betting he was that type of guy before he got tied down w/ a wife and kid.

I'm so curious to see how Gretchen and Jimmy's storyline will end for the season/series, b/c I really don't think these two will end up together in the end.  Has this show been renewed?    I don't know about the ratings or if FXX has renewed the show, personally I think moving their hit shows like this and It's Always Sunny to this network was a mistake.  I think FXX really just needs to segue into only reruns of the Simpsons, KotH, FG, American Dad, Futurama, Bob's Burgers, and whatever other animated series they want to show.

I watched the scene with Gretchen and the dad, and I really don't think he was hitting on her. I just think the guy is feeling unfulfilled, and wants to recapture some of that "fun, crazy" life she and Jimmy supposedly have.

Agree again, and will add that anyone who is married with young kids would get this. The only aspect of what he did that was kind of squicky was that he did it when his wife had left the room, but even that isn't unusual since one parent is often better at that transition than the other (and in the world of TV, the one who matures more easily is usually the mom). When the more mature one leaves, the other one often has to vent. No harm, no foul.

My takeaway is that Gretchen knows that life would feel just as awful as the life she has and that is devastating.

Why? All lives have aspects that are not ideal. No one has a perfect life. What exactly are Gretchen's expectations? It feels like she is 12.

I don't think he was explicitly hitting on Gretchen, but it did seem like he was testing the waters and then tried to walk it back when she wasn't responsive. The first time he suggested getting together seemed deliberately ambiguous, along the lines of, "we should go for a drink sometime" with no mention of Jimmy or his wife, and then he mentioned the prospect of getting a divorce shortly after. The second time he specifically included Jimmy and added in that his wife goes to bed early and wouldn't mind. The third time, after Jimmy and his wife came back, he suggested all four of them should get together for dinner.

• Love 5

What I found interesting was Lexi's hostility towards Gretchen, which felt as inappropriate as the other conversation. 

I also like that Jimmy knows how to behave in public. He knows how to be polite, how to look interested and how to communicate, no matter how lame he finds the other people. Must have picked that up from his book signings.

Speaking of which, they let the hostile bookshop owner with a pseudo-crush on Jimmy fade pretty fast, didn't they? Was kind of looking forward to seeing Flo's acting chops. 

• Love 2

What I found interesting was Lexi's hostility towards Gretchen, which felt as inappropriate as the other conversation. 

Depends on whether she recognized Gretchen from the cafe at the beginning of the episode. If a woman I thought was checking out my husband showed up at our door, having conveniently found our lost dog, and invited herself in, I'd probably be a little wary of her intentions.

• Love 1

I'm just guessing from context, but I think it's about older dudes - esp if they're dads - who tiptoe right up to the edge of hitting on younger women but with plausible deniability. And they might have to do it with a whisper if their wives are nearby?  This phrase is hecka hard to find on the internet without getting absolutely swamped with false positives.

• Love 1

Great episode of television.   As with Louie, I am happy to lose the laughs if the trade-off is something this well observed.

It has occurred to me a time or two before that YTW has some aspects in common with Shameless, although YTW is generally dialled down significantly from the outrageousness level of Shameless.  But when Gretchen nearly abducted a child and did abduct a beloved family dog, it definitely veered more in that direction.

On 11/6/2015 at 8:54 AM, Ottis said:

I think I found the other couple more interesting than Gretchen and Jimmy.

Yes!!  I was confused at first about whether some other show I had somehow been substituted, but I was definitely interested in watching that show if so.  It was an interesting move to pull the rug out from under the image of that couple right at the end, but I would watch the hell out of a spinoff show that featured the cooler and happier version we seemed to be seeing up to that point.  Or even the actual couple as shown at the end.