Type keyword(s) to search

Is There a Price Point You're Comfortable With?: Dress Budgets

I thought we might need a place to freak out over the people who buy two dresses each of which costs upwards of $15,000, stuff like that.  Or those who start with a $2000 budget and then end up with a $6000 dress cause they can't say no.

I cringe when the consultant asks the bride, "What's your budget?". The bride wants to spend a maximum of $5,000 but you KNOW the consultant takes that as a starting point! Then the bride ends up with a $6,000 dress BEFORE alterations. But, it looks almost identical to the $3,200 dress we saw 2 episodes previously! If I'm ever in that situation, I'm going to start with a much lower price point and see what I can get. If I can't find anything, THEN I'll raise my budget. But I'm not going to start at my highest.

Also, we keep seeing the same dresses over and over again. Kleinfelds boasts they have thousands of dresses. Why do they keep showing the same things? It's gotten where now when the bride describes what she's looking for, I can guess what gown their going to put her in before they show it.

• Love 5

Good points, SunShine Gal. 

If my marriageable-age niece said her budget was $5,000, I would assume she would be talking about her entire budget: gown, veil, alterations, taxes, and any other purchases or costs. Do the producers ask people to subtract $1,000 or so when they say what their budget is? This has long puzzled me, to the extent that I actually think about this show.

• Love 1
(edited)
Also factor in sales tax, which in NY I believe is about 10%.  They never talk about veils but some are upwards around $500, or more at Kleinfeld.

Those danged crystal/beaded belts can cost upwards of $500, and the consultants fling those around for almost every bride. Upsell, ladies!

Edited by lordonia

The consultants are just trying to make a sale.

Here's the thing: when my mother and grandmother went dress shopping in 1946 my mom wanted a dress that cost $150 and my grandmother said that was too much. So she ended up buying one that cost $100.

My mother is 91 years old and still complains about not getting the dress she wanted. So all you mothers out there, remember that 43 years after you die, 69 years after your daughter's wedding, she'll still be complaining that she never got the dress she wanted.

My daughter got the dress she wanted, and my husband still doesn't know how much he paid for it.

• Love 8

I really really enjoy SYTTD Canada. The consultants ask the budget (which is way lower on average than SYTTD Original Recipe) and often bring the brides dresses waaay under their budget. I really feel like they are trying not to upsell all the time and the lady who does alterations is awesome too.

The consultants are just trying to make a sale.

Here's the thing: when my mother and grandmother went dress shopping in 1946 my mom wanted a dress that cost $150 and my grandmother said that was too much. So she ended up buying one that cost $100.

My mother is 91 years old and still complains about not getting the dress she wanted. So all you mothers out there, remember that 43 years after you die, 69 years after your daughter's wedding, she'll still be complaining that she never got the dress she wanted.

My daughter got the dress she wanted, and my husband still doesn't know how much he paid for it.

Case on point! :) 

Seriously?  I can't imagine that having good life and a happy marriage would be overshadowed by the few yards of material that got away.  

My mom wanted a fancier dress but her dad was a widower and it was during WWII.  She was married in a suit, borrowed a hat, and to the day she died all she talked about was what a wonderful day it was and she was blessed with all of the years she had with my dad (which was 63 years of marriage when she died)  Guess priorities can be quite different.  I was taught that people and relationships always trump "stuff".

• Love 7

As far as the Beyonce bride goes, I think the $40,000 quoted was for the entire wedding.  She stated a $10,000 budget on the show, and there is no way the dress/overskirt combo was four times the budget.  It would take a belt with real jewels or collaborating on a one of a kind dress to get to that point.

Read an article this morning that said the average cost of a wedding today is $32,641 according to a study by The Knot.  This does not take into account couples who elope or get married at the courthouse or don't spend a lot of money on a wedding.  Least expensive wedding locales are Alaska, S. Dakota and Texas and the most expensive place if Manhattan ($82,299 average in Manhattan).  People in Manhattan must have a lot of money.  The next part of the article was interesting in that according to a data analyst with the Univ. of Pennsylvania Institute for Biomedical Information, once a wedding passes the $20,000 mark marriages are 3.5 times more likely to end in divorce.  Another study by Emory University found that the more couples spend on a wedding, the shorter the marriage will be.

I think we've seen a few princess brides on SYTTD that we have all predicted will be divorced within a few years just based on their attitude about money and entitlement to the I want what I want, when I want it no matter how much it cost.   

• Love 7

Manhattan has a lot of money on it, but it's also a world wedding destination. So, figure for everyone who gets married in church and has a small reception you have someone who's taking over the Temple of Dendur at the Met and having it catered by Daniel Bouloud.

Most people I know from Manhattan held their receptions in Westchester or Connecticut or the Island, or the venues popping up around Liberty State Park. More bang for the buck.

On 4/22/2014 at 2:28 PM, Bella said:

Good points, SunShine Gal. 

If my marriageable-age niece said her budget was $5,000, I would assume she would be talking about her entire budget: gown, veil, alterations, taxes, and any other purchases or costs. Do the producers ask people to subtract $1,000 or so when they say what their budget is? This has long puzzled me, to the extent that I actually think about this show.

I am getting remarried in October and the whole budget is $2500!!!  The first time, in 1994, it was under $2000 and that was a dance with drinking!!!

On 6/7/2014 at 0:48 PM, Lord Donia said:

Those danged crystal/beaded belts can cost upwards of $500, and the consultants fling those around for almost every bride. Upsell, ladies!

I hate those belts.  They add nothing to the dress.  Ever.

On 4/9/2016 at 5:37 PM, 7-Zark-7 said:

"Is there a price point you're comfortable with?"

"Well, I'm quite comfortable with paying nothing."

This.  Made me laugh out loud!!!!  Thank you!

• Love 2

I'd want my amount to cover the dress, any taxes, alterations, shipping, etc. I'd also put the cost on to a credit card to afford protection if the store went bankrupt. Kleinfeld staff are out to make a commission and will upsell the bride to get more. Some customers may be wealthy but some are average folks. Wonder if after all the 'additional' costs are added, that some of the brides go a little sour on the store.  It should be explained and in writing that the dress costs X without alterations. Getting hemming, taking in, extra lace, etc. costs X. BEFORE you say yes.

The women wanting a dress that comes in over the parents' budget should not be batting their eyeballs at mom to pay the additional $1000-2000. Usually it's not just $150 more. You're an adult woman, you want a more expensive dress, you pay the difference.

• Love 4

I'm going dress shopping next Sunday with a family member.  She has her eye on a $3200 Lazaro which grandma is paying for.  Actually, grandma already paid for the dress she bought last time she was "almost" engaged and bought the dress without even having a ring on her finger.  Relationship broke up before that happened.  Grandma told her to start fresh and buy a new dress - no limit to the price. Mind you, these are middle class people we're talking about.  This is the only granddaughter and bride is taking full advantage of everything grandma is offering.  Actually grandma is driving the train as far as upgrading everything - custom invitations (we're talking about a 300 person wedding here, flowers, etc and the bride has seat belted herself in for the ride.  The groom's family is also a little out of control.  They had booked a 7 piece wedding which is already a very respectable size, and the groom's dad just added another 3 pieces.  Oh, and of course with such a pricey wedding dress the bride is wearing Leboutin shoes.

Grandma may have grown up during the Depression and maybe is compensating. She should know better and is better off getting useful stuff for the home instead. Throwing money at granddaughter is not really right, especially if she gets a small monthly pension. Maybe it is the inheritance, maybe there are strings involved. Buying ONE dress is enough for a woman who never even got engaged. This is stupid.

• Love 1
On 7/16/2017 at 1:54 PM, Koalagirl said:

They had booked a 7 piece wedding which is already a very respectable size, and the groom's dad just added another 3 pieces.  

What is a 7 piece wedding?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shang yiet said:

Those sparkly belts look very pretty but if your wedding dress is too plain without one, then just choose another dress.

They had one on either SYTTD Kleinfeld's or Atlanta a couple of days ago.  The bride was already over budget, and the BELT was $1,400!!!!

4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

They had one on either SYTTD Kleinfeld's or Atlanta a couple of days ago.  The bride was already over budget, and the BELT was $1,400!!!!

What is really galling is that they could easily go to the nearest craft shop, pick up a couple yards of grosgrain ribbon and a shiny, blingy applique for under 20 bucks,  spend 10 minutes with a glue gun and they've got a belt that would look just as good or even better than the store bought one.

• Love 13

I don't like the sparkly belts at all as they do not serve a purpose - they just add more stuff to a dress.  I like the long clean line and a belt interrupts it!  Plus a lot of women do not need to draw attention to their waistlines.  (Gosh I am old)

• Love 2

From a practical viewpoint - are those sparkly belts smooth?  All I can think of is how irritating it would be to keep scraping your skin against those bumpy "jewels" all night long.  

• Love 2

$1400 for a belt is absurd and you are a moron if you pay that. I think veils are way overpriced as well (OK, everything in a wedding is overpriced!) I bought a simple veil online, I think it was $20.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

$1400 for a belt is absurd and you are a moron if you pay that. I think veils are way overpriced as well (OK, everything in a wedding is overpriced!) I bought a simple veil online, I think it was $20.

Yes to this, although I do like some of the belts - and veils - and think they definitely do add something to certain dresses.  

• Love 1

I ordered a back up dress off Amazon for $60!!!  Free shipping, too!  (Leave it to me)  I have concerns over my original dress not just fitting but fitting comfortably.  It eases my mind to have an option because I am not a Bridezilla - I just want a dress that flatters me and is comfy.

Point?  Can you imagine me walking into Kleinfeld's?  "Price point?  Let's cap it at $60!!!"  LOLOL!  

PS - I am so not into the bridal thing that the thought of shoe shopping for the big day......ugh.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 2

I had my bridal moment last night in Nordstrom. I am the mother of the groom and my dress had to be altered, it looked amazing and as I stood there looking at myself I said "I'm saying yes to the dress" my sister in law just stood there looking at me.  Crickets, I heard crickets. Bwahahahah.

• Love 13
45 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I bet $60 doesn't come close to the taxes on any of their dresses.

You are probably right.  I was a tomboy as a child and I must not have the glitters/bling gene.  I can assure you I do NOT have the Princess Gene.

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

"Price point?  Let's cap it at $60!!!"

I bet $60 doesn't come close to the taxes on any of their dresses.

I believe NY state taxes are around 10%, so $60 would be the tax on a $600 dress.  So Kohola3, you just won your bet!

3 hours ago, roughing it said:

I believe NY state taxes are around 10%, so $60 would be the tax on a $600 dress.  So Kohola3, you just won your bet!

Holy moly....look at what NY must rake in on taxes on some of those dresses!!!!  I am not against paying taxes......just wow.

7 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I ordered a back up dress off Amazon for $60!!!  Free shipping, too!  (Leave it to me)  I have concerns over my original dress not just fitting but fitting comfortably.  It eases my mind to have an option because I am not a Bridezilla - I just want a dress that flatters me and is comfy.

Point?  Can you imagine me walking into Kleinfeld's?  "Price point?  Let's cap it at $60!!!"  LOLOL!  

PS - I am so not into the bridal thing that the thought of shoe shopping for the big day......ugh.

Cap it at $60? Kleinfeld's would do somersaults thinking you meant $60 THOUSAND! Because we know it has happened!

• Love 3
On 25/08/2017 at 9:41 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I had my bridal moment last night in Nordstrom. I am the mother of the groom and my dress had to be altered, it looked amazing and as I stood there looking at myself I said "I'm saying yes to the dress" my sister in law just stood there looking at me.  Crickets, I heard crickets. Bwahahahah.

LOL! Funny story, thanks for sharing XD

• Love 2
On 8/25/2017 at 4:05 PM, Spunkygal said:

Cap it at $60? Kleinfeld's would do somersaults thinking you meant $60 THOUSAND! Because we know it has happened!

I am keeping my wonderful $60 dress and going to condign my original dress.  Does it look like it has handmade lace from Italy?  No.  It is wonderful, simple, very me and very nice for our venue.  So take THAT Kleinfelds!!! LOL!  (I will still watch though!)  

And yes, to say "Sixty" they would think $60,000!!!  

• Love 2

I feel so many of these brides and their families are financially crazy over-spenders. 

And regardless of what these brides think, the 'best' and most enjoyable weddings are not the ultra-fancy formal affairs. They're the type where the guests are happy to be there, they feel comfortable and appreciated, and there's time and room to mix, mingle, snack, and chat.

• Love 3
On 1/1/2018 at 5:01 PM, Tanichka said:

My daughter had a $200 dress.  It fit her perfectly & she looked great.

I paid $3200.00 for a custom gown for my wedding in November. Don't regret spending the money at all. I will say I'm also wearing to our annual Christmas Eve party just on principle LOL.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:45 PM, cpcathy said:

Photo needed of the $60 dress!

I am sorry this is so huge - I can't make it smaller no matter hard I try.  I don't begrudge anyone spending any amount - that is your thing!  Me?  I did the big dress the first time (it was still under $300) and I wanted it low key this time.  I am going to hem it to tea length, dye it burgundy, plum or garnet color (not sure yet) and wear it each year on our anniversary!  Those are my sons with me....my Best Men!!!  (Literally!)

Edited to remove the billboard size photo of me!! LOL!  I learned how to reduce a photo....yay me!!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson

What I don't understand is why no one hits the reality button.  I was very fortunate in that my (not rich) parents were willing to let me have the dress of my dreams, within reason.   NONE of the dresses I considered even approached the $5,000 - $15,000 we seem brides routinely quote on SYTTD.  At some point in the process, I decided I was not going to ask my parents to spend thousands of dollars on a dress I'd wear once -- even if this was the "most important dress of my life."  We found a spectacular dress (IMHO) for under $1500.  Now this was years ago, but even today, talking around $2500.  I still love it, 20+ years later -- and love the fact no one went to the poor house to buy it. 

I also wonder where these folks find the money.  We see brides buying one or more dresses where the price point just for the dress is $12,000.  This doesn't include alterations, veil, shoes, lingerie, jewelry -- not to mention the entire rest of the wedding.  There are either some seriously wealthy people out there or they are going seriously into debt.  Just sayin' . . .