Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: And Always Searching For Beauty

The 10 month jump is just horrible. What it says to me is the Kennishes have three kids and not one of them is in college. And they apparently could give a crap less about being aunts to Carlton. We don't know if they stayed in KC or went to London but I know for sure the kid isn't in China. So so much for all the nice things you said Bay.

Yikes. They are what 19? I'd much rather them be out in the world exploring and learning about themselves than at home with their nephew.  To say that about Bay because she chose to not be wherever Carlton is? Sorry but that's absurd.

This, and also, they're not in college right now; that doesn't mean they won't go (or go back) to college. Daphne seems to be doing something that will look good on a resume or on med school applications (if she isn't actually in China through college anyway). Bay is getting the experience at 19 of living in a foreign country for nearly a year, having a job in that foreign country, and learning the language. That kind of experience will make her more attractive to colleges/art school. They're taking a gap year. A pretty damn good one. I don't see why that would be something parents would be ashamed of. 

Besides, even if they didn't go back to college, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. College isn't for everyone, and it isn't meant to be. Deciding not to go to college is not ipso facto a bad thing, evidence of bad decision making, or failure on the part of one's parents. 

If Bay, for example, decided to travel the world, living in different countries for a few years at a time, working in tattoo parlors, that sounds like a pretty exciting and fascinating life that she could enjoy a lot. I don't see why going to college and getting a 9-to-5 job would necessarily be a better life than that one. The former would be much more fulfilling for a lot of people. Not to mention, travel is very educational.

Edited by Anisky
  • Love 2

If Bay, for example, decided to travel the world, living in different countries for a few years at a time, working in tattoo parlors, that sounds like a pretty exciting and fascinating life that she could enjoy a lot. I don't see why going to college and getting a 9-to-5 job would necessarily be a better life than that one. The former would be much more fulfilling for a lot of people. Not to mention, travel is very educational.

This sounds perfectly reasonable and like it could be very enriching.  But there's a hitch with Bay and that's her felony conviction, which could make getting a visa or a job in some countries impossible.  I think that whole terrible idea of the criminal record switcheroo has to be revisited on the show.  Unless we are supposed to just hand wave the whole thing, it really is a tough thing that would follow Bay for the rest of her life.  I'd like to see them explore how she feels about her sacrifice, or how Daphne might be eaten up with guilt, etc.  That would be more interesting to me than Daphne's status as man-magnet, or Kennish marital woes, or Regina's bad judgment. 

• Love 3
I think that whole terrible idea of the criminal record switcheroo has to be revisited on the show.  Unless we are supposed to just hand wave the whole thing, it really is a tough thing that would follow Bay for the rest of her life.

That's a great point, ShadowFacts.  This show is happy to heap piles of woe onto Bay, so I don't know why they don't mine that felony conviction for drama.  I would find that a lot more interesting, especially with the blithe way that Bay was selling it at the time, "It won't matter because I just want to be an artist."

With this show, I'm guessing we're supposed to hand-wave it and forget it.

• Love 1

This sounds perfectly reasonable and like it could be very enriching.  But there's a hitch with Bay and that's her felony conviction, which could make getting a visa or a job in some countries impossible.  I think that whole terrible idea of the criminal record switcheroo has to be revisited on the show.  Unless we are supposed to just hand wave the whole thing, it really is a tough thing that would follow Bay for the rest of her life.  I'd like to see them explore how she feels about her sacrifice, or how Daphne might be eaten up with guilt, etc.  That would be more interesting to me than Daphne's status as man-magnet, or Kennish marital woes, or Regina's bad judgment. 

Agreed... any chance that Bay was 17 when the arrest happened? Were they at all vague about it? Because that could solve the problem...

Bay could also just go places on a tourist visa and get paid under the table. It's not that uncommon. But I admit I have no idea how the whole thing works if one has been convicted of a felony and can't get the record sealed or expunged. For a felony conviction though, I think Bay's sentence was too light? I don't know about Kansas but in some states the definition of a felony is a crime that a first-time offender has to serve at least a yearlong sentence, right? Bay couldn't have done the community service / house arrest for more than 6 months, and even with a record they were only expecting Daphne to go to prison for 3 months, so this whole thing doesn't add up anyway (surprise surprise).

I agree that college isn't for everyone. But for all three not to be in college I think is a bit crazy. I think Daphne not going to back to college after a so-so first year is going to look bad. 

The nephew thing came from that moment when Bay talked to the child and said all these great things she was going to do with him and then instead just flitted off to China. She can be a tattoo artist anywhere. 

Yes, they definitely play fast and loose with lots of things like criminal matters and timelines, but I wish they'd revisit this thing in some form.  I may just have a problem with it because I have a person in my family with a felony conviction, who did have to go to jail, not house arrest, and the whole thing has very serious ramifications for future employment.  They did touch on it a little with Bay not being eligible for a federal grant, right?  She may not want to do tattoo/self-employment forever, and need further education or federal loans and such, and that will be difficult.  Maybe they could take a cop-out route and have the record expunged or something, but it still is a big deal for Daphne to have gotten off the hook and simply watch Bay have to keep paying and paying.  It gets to the heart of what the show started to be about, the consequences of "switch". 

• Love 3

Yes, they definitely play fast and loose with lots of things like criminal matters and timelines, but I wish they'd revisit this thing in some form.  I may just have a problem with it because I have a person in my family with a felony conviction, who did have to go to jail, not house arrest, and the whole thing has very serious ramifications for future employment.  They did touch on it a little with Bay not being eligible for a federal grant, right?  She may not want to do tattoo/self-employment forever, and need further education or federal loans and such, and that will be difficult.  Maybe they could take a cop-out route and have the record expunged or something, but it still is a big deal for Daphne to have gotten off the hook and simply watch Bay have to keep paying and paying.  It gets to the heart of what the show started to be about, the consequences of "switch".

I have a relative who is a convicted felon. She can't travel anywhere outside of the US and can't have a passport.

Felony convictions often carry a bifurcated sentence, the confinement/prison part, and the probation or as they call it in my state, extended supervision afterwards.  Which can last for years.  The court can put just about any condition on the probation, including where the person may and may not go, absolute sobriety, who they can and cannot associate with, driving restrictions, employment restrictions, you name it.  So while a person may be able to obtain a passport, they may not be able to use it for a period of time, not to mention restrictions many countries have about people entering and working.  Felonies are really big deals and this show is not treating Bay's situation too realistically.

• Love 1

Agreed... any chance that Bay was 17 when the arrest happened? Were they at all vague about it? Because that could solve the problem...

I'm pretty sure they made a point of saying both girls were 18. That was why Daphne was worried about really going to prison instead of juvie, and why it was such a big deal.

• Love 2