Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Myth Of Sisyphus

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

No, the other customer definitely mentions that they were doing odd-even rationing. Which was something that did pop up again in 1979, because of the revolution in Iran and related unrest. It wouldn't have been till later in the year, I think, but the show seems to be moving up later events quite a bit, what with the mentions of Carter's "Crisis of Confidence" speech and Reagan's presidential campaign in the premiere.

You are correct.

The Shah left Iran in April and it kicked off a rise in the price of crude oil. Production wasn't interrupted until November when the revolution happened.

From what I just read, it was more of a spike in prices in 1979 and not as serious an interruption in supply like the 1973 crisis.

Continue to enjoy the brief bonding moments with Lou and Hank.

I haven't made up my mind whether they are bonding or have an uneasy truce, due to Lou's wife/Hank's daughter's cancer.

I'll be really pissed and disappointed if Mork from Ork gets involved in this.

There was no other information revealed in that scene, so I'm wondering why it was included.

I think that Peggy's car is somewhere around that gas station. Didn't the building behind it say it was a "collision center" or garage or somesuch? 

This Season 2 of Fargo blows True Detective Season 2 out of the water.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 4

Although the gas line thing was, as I said, an anachronism on the part of the show pure and simple, I forgive it not just because the show is so great, but because the show overall seems to be asking to be received not as a naturalistic depiction of life in the upper midwest in 1979, but as some form of impressionistic "fever dream." That is, I think the writers may know quite well that the gas lines were more a feature of 1973-4, and don't care. They are deliberately collapsing the seventies into a surreal vision of "the seventies" that validly conjures how insane the decade was.

To put it another way: Long gas lines may not have occurred at the same time as Carter's "malaise" speech, but they ought to have.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

What was going on in that weird conversation near the end with Simone and Dodd? She made a reference to something "getting him hard," which was creepy considering she's his daughter, right?

I am really loving this season!  I am one who just somehow lost interest last season, I don't know if it was the actors or the storyline or what.  I don't have a huge tolerance for the "ordinary person commits crime and then gets in over their head" scenario, even thought I love the original Fargo and that is kind of the whole plot to that and even though it fits with the hit and run plot here.  Maybe because Rye was a criminal already, it just doesn't produce the anxiety in me that other situations like that do.  And I have always loved Patrick Wilson, but we don't usually see him as a badass, but it looks great on him!

As far as the gas lines, I was born in 1969 and I know that there were gas lines sometime in the Spring or Summer of 1979, at least where I lived. Without getting into the drama of it all, the gas lines figured prominently into my finding out that my parents were getting divorced when I was 10. Its the kind of thing you don't forget.  Who knew it would eventually help me in my tv watching?   Thanks Mom and Dad!  :)

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 8

Something I really do like is how I can always know that Lou is safe. We know he survives whatever happens, so his confidence in both standoffs last night made him look totally justified, because we know he lives.

Lesser writers would have tiptoed around Lou's known (to the audience) survival, but NH is using it to build tension and even allow humor. Kudos.

About Skip choosing to get into the hole rather than running: I'm guessing he figured he had a better chance of talking his way out of it than running.

• Love 1

As far as the gas lines, I was born in 1969 and I know that there were gas lines sometime in the Spring or Summer of 1979, at least where I lived. Without getting into the drama of it all, the gas lines figured prominently into my finding out that my parents were getting divorced when I was 10. Its the kind of thing you don't forget.

I was married in May of 1979 in Southern California. During a few month period I very specifically remember the gas lines because my parents and I shared cars and one car had odd plates and the other had even plates.  The three of us were alternating using the two cars because we could get them gassed up every other day because of all the extra driving to the venues and even afterwards when I drove out of town on my honeymoon. 

• Love 2
What was going on in that weird conversation near the end with Simone and Dodd? She made a reference to something "getting him hard," which was creepy considering she's his daughter, right?

There were some Peacock-family-type comments made earlier by one of the Gebhardt brothers around each of the brothers sleeping with multiple women (wives/ girlfriends/ what else), and an informal system where each brother seemed to be responsible for whatever kids came from trysts with their respective women. However, there was an implied incestuousness to it, as if it were possible that a woman could be accidentally assigned to the wrong brother and as a result, so could any kids. So while I believe you are correct, that Simone is Dodd's daughter, they all seem to operate in almost a commune-like setting of carnal relationships and offspring. Plus, Simone is a Lolita-type so even all that aside, maybe she would have goaded her dad that way, anyway. All of it is icky and adds to the weirdness of the family.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

You know, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why they decided to set this season at the beginning of 1979, when they'd have to jump the gun on so many major national events that didn't happen in real life till later in the year, considering they could've just as easily set it at the end of the year, which would still fit with Lou's "winter of 1979" comments in season 1.

Maybe there's so much story to go through that they couldn't start in late 1979 and get to the events Lou mentioned in season 1 before the end of the year. Or maybe the anachronisms didn't even concern them, since portraying the mood of the era was more important than not irritating historical sticklers like me.

• Love 1

You know, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why they decided to set this season at the beginning of 1979, when they'd have to jump the gun on so many major national events that didn't happen in real life till later in the year, considering they could've just as easily set it at the end of the year, which would still fit with Lou's "winter of 1979" comments in season 1.

Maybe there's so much story to go through that they couldn't start in late 1979 and get to the events Lou mentioned in season 1 before the end of the year. Or maybe the anachronisms didn't even concern them, since portraying the mood of the era was more important than not irritating historical sticklers like me.

There was a one-year time jump 4/5s of the way through season 1. Just because it's the beginning of 1979 right now doesn't mean it'll stay that way the whole season.

• Love 1

She was basically calling him out on his demand that she close her coat because she was 'embarrassing' him. So creepy, yes. Accurate on her part? Probably.

This show, especially this season, reminds me a lot of the late, great Justified. Both shows feature regions often not seen much on TV, quirky criminals, dumb criminals, crime families, and lots of folksyness (southern hospitality, or Minnesota Nice) that covers up the corruption and the blood. 

• Love 6

As a daughter of Luverne, let me say the obligatory: it's no shithole. (It really isn't - it's an awesome small town that is remarkably well kept with a lot of special attributes. Granted I'm biased and no doubt have a different lens than the KC mafia, but I've got to represent nonetheless.)

Great episode. I adore Betsy and her detective skills, cannot wait to watch Peggy get her just deserts, and hope Floyd beats some sense (literally would be fine) into Dodd. And Mike's analysis of what Minnesota Nice really is? SPOT ON. 

I'm still trying to sort out one puzzling issue. Luverne had a public transit system in 1979?

Nope. Greyhound or regional buses would come through (still do) so there were regular buses to the Twin Cities and Sioux Falls, from where you could get to points beyond, but nothing like the Rock County bus the show has featured a few times now. There isn't anything like that now, as noted; just small shuttles for seniors.

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 5

Kill da waaaaabbit, Kiiillll da waaaaaaabbbit!  Red's Delta name is now and forever, "Elmer."   

I could not get past the use of asphalt before the end of freezes.  It took one heckuva lot of effort for them to fire up a batch.   Before the first expected hard freeze, asphalt plants in the North do not operate.  It is crazy expensive to keep them going and it is insanity to use hot asphalt for any purpose until the ground has fully thawed again.  My point is that Skip was not worth all that.

I was disappointed to see him get killed.  That character had a lot to offer.  

So Dodd has been sexually abusing his daughter and Otto and Grandma never acted on it?  What stone cold EVIL!!!!!!!!!!

I so wish I could easily get past Lou's failure to now escalate things to the highest levels.  He knows hw, and the towns involved, are in waaaaaaaaaay over their heads.  He needs, at a minimum, close-air support.  He needs the Air Cav.  They all do.  The same was true last year.   Bravery is one thing.  Being a "cowboy" quite another.  With the interstate connections involved, this would go to the FBI and/or the ATF.  If "they" would kill a judge, all LE would fully understand they were dealing with the real deal bad guys.  Lou met the menace directly.  He is no fool and he loves his family and feels an enormous responsibility to them.  That guy would NOT unduly jeopardize their futures.  He already did his bit in the Swift Boats.

• Love 3

Got to love Fargo for provoking me to casually remark that I'd much rather be shot than smothered by asphalt.

The characters are all so intriguing this season. Simone is great and I'm guessing Bear (FX loves an Aussie actor for a villian) or his son are going to become more involved at some point - they seem a lot more ahead of the game than Dodd.

• Love 2

As a daughter of Luverne, let me say the obligatory: it's no shithole.

I could not get past the use of asphalt before the end of freezes. Before the first expected hard freeze, asphalt plants in the North do not operate.

Just want to say how much I appreciate the local perspective you both bring to the show, hendersonrocks and Lonesome Rhodes. I look forward to more insights!

Understanding that there was no city bus service in Luverne...would you say that the look of the main street (of whatever Canadian city is standing in for Luverne) is pretty accurate for the location and the period?

• Love 6
Understanding that there was no city bus service in Luverne...would you say that the look of the main street (of whatever Canadian city is standing in for Luverne) is pretty accurate for the location and the period?

By and large, yes - I think they've done a good job! Luverne's Main Street is a little bit smaller and certainly less busy than what's been on the show, but the look is pretty good. Here's a photo of Luverne's Main Street now - during the annual Buffalo Days vintage car drive-in - to give you some context (it didn't look meaningfully different in the late 70s).

The main things that have looked off to me are:

• The Solverson's house: there is nothing even close to that style, then or now
  • The Sheriff's station: a true local nitpick, but Rock County has a gorgeous courthouse and adjoining jailhouse made of Sioux Quartzite in the middle of town and I think that's where the Sheriff's office was back then (now it's in a nondescript building a little bit further away)
  • The Waffle Hut: a 24-hour spot on a county road like that is pretty unrealistic; an interstate runs right next to Luverne so there could have theoretically been a 24-hour spot there, even though there wasn't in reality
  • Love 5

Lesser writers would have tiptoed around Lou's known (to the audience) survival, but NH is using it to build tension and even allow humor. Kudos.

About Skip choosing to get into the hole rather than running: I'm guessing he figured he had a better chance of talking his way out of it than running.

Heh. Salesmen always think they can talk their way out of anything if you just give them enough time.

• Love 7

Heh. Salesmen always think they can talk their way out of anything if you just give them enough time.

That scene did make me think that, while not technically a salesman, Saul Goodman (Breaking Bad) might have been able to find a way out of that situation.  Granted, it's rare to find someone with that kind of magical ability to escape dire situations, like he was able to.  Maybe Justified's Boyd Crowder?

• Love 3

The main things that have looked off to me are:

• The Solverson's house: there is nothing even close to that style, then or now...

That's interesting. My immediate impression (as I'm sure was everybody's) was, "No way does that house belong." But then I thought, "No, even a town like Luverne will have some diversity of architecture, and I'll bet the filmmakers who scouted the town for inspiration saw an actual house like that, defying all expectations, and decided to use one like it." Turns out I was right the first time. :)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

I took as her knowing that he gets off on putting women in their place, and was challenging him on that in a really shocking way to get a rise (no pun intended) out of him. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that she's not the only "girl" Dodd likes to slap around.

• Love 13

Not only does it feel very authentic, every detail enhances what's going on - Like Floyd appearing outside in that tomato red coat and sweater when the rest of the scene is a mass of muddy browns and dull blues. Not only does she control the conversation - she demands you look at her. TLO have chosen Fargo as their new costume review/recap now that Mad Men has ended. It's a fascinating read.

Thanks for the tip.  I loved their Mad Men analysis. 

I've missed TLO.  I'm glad they are recapping my favorite show.  Season 1 Fargo was my Mother's Day present.  

Edited by toodles

That scene did make me think that, while not technically a salesman, Saul Goodman (Breaking Bad) might have been able to find a way out of that situation.  Granted, it's rare to find someone with that kind of magical ability to escape dire situations, like he was able to.  Maybe Justified's Boyd Crowder?

Sigh.  I miss Boyd and the Justified gang.  That typewriter guy seemed like a really crappy salesman to me.

• Love 1

I think that Peggy's car is somewhere around that gas station. Didn't the building behind it say it was a "collision center" or garage or somesuch?

I watched that scene again last night, and yes it was an auto service shop. Presumably somewhere between Fargo and Luvern.

Lou stopped to gas up his prowler on the way home, he wasn't looking for damaged autos. At least at this point.

There was a line of cars waiting for gas, but no talk of gas rationing on odd or even days.

The guy at the pumps said, "they come in odd months." Meaning UFOs.

No other information was revealed in that scene.

I'm beginning to think the UFO stuff might be more than window dressing.

I'm going to trust that the writers will use it in a clever way, and not get stupid with a Mork from Ork plot line.

Maybe that repair shop is what eventually leads to the discovery of Peggy's car being damaged, but that wasn't what was going on in that scene.

Either it was a complete throw-away scene, or they were setting up more information to be revealed later.

If we were watching Lost or The Leftovers, then it being a throw-away scene would be a possibility. However, the way the writers in Fargo have been doing business, I am expecting a connect at some point.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 4

Lou's total cool in the Gebhardt scene was awesome - just an authority that was not interested in their criminal shenanigans and a little disbelief that his fellow officer was cowed.  Plus again with Mike Milligan (and the kitchenettes).  Poor stupid Skip.  I hope Simone can branch out on her own, she's pretty savvy.

• Love 5

I watched that scene again last night, and yes it was an auto service shop. Presumably somewhere between Fargo and Luvern.

Lou stopped to gas up his prowler on the way home, he wasn't looking for damaged autos. At least at this point.

There was a line of cars waiting for gas, but no talk of gas rationing on odd or even days.

The guy at the pumps said, "they come in odd months." Meaning UFOs.

You're right, I must've mixed up two different scenes: Lou's encounter with the UFO nut at the gas station at the end of the episode and the Gerhardts' conversation with their associates at the beginning. One of their visitors does say, "Look, it's not just the business. It's the country. This no-brains Jimmy Carter with his stupid peanut grin, and now I got to wait in line to fill my tank?" Either that or I just remembered what I thought the UFO guy was going to be talking about when he first opened his mouth instead of what he ended up talking about.

Edited by Dev F

One of their visitors does say, "Look, it's not just the business. It's the country. This no-brains Jimmy Carter with his stupid peanut grin, and now I got to wait in line to fill my tank?"

After being briefly convinced that I was wrong to call the gas line an anachronism, this quote convinces me I was right. Because anybody in 1979 would have known better than to blame gas lines on Jimmy Carter as if they didn't happen until he came along. All 1979 people had vivid memories that gas lines happened under Nixon, only five to six years prior. They might have said, "and now I got to wait in line to fill my tank just like I did under Nixon?" They certainly wouldn't have put it all on Carter.

Like I say, I think the show is deliberately conflating this kind of stuff to create an impression of the 70s, and I'm fine with that. Anachronisms aren't a federal offense. But it is an anachronism.

• Love 2

After being briefly convinced that I was wrong to call the gas line an anachronism, this quote convinces me I was right. Because anybody in 1979 would have known better than to blame gas lines on Jimmy Carter as if they didn't happen until he came along. All 1979 people had vivid memories that gas lines happened under Nixon, only five to six years prior. They might have said, "and now I got to wait in line to fill my tank just like I did under Nixon?" They certainly wouldn't have put it all on Carter.

Like I say, I think the show is deliberately conflating this kind of stuff to create an impression of the 70s, and I'm fine with that. Anachronisms aren't a federal offense. But it is an anachronism.

Have to disagree with you. It didn't and still doesn't seem like an anachronism to me. There were long gas lines in 1979 except we didn't have the odd-even rationing of the 1973 oil crisis. The gas shortage of 1979 occurred because of the decrease in oil production as a result of the Iranian Revolution. So that customer blaming Carter made sense since it was generally believed that Carter's administration was not doing enough to remedy the situation. I remember those gas lines and that scene with the customer blaming Carter was very realistic to how a lot of the public felt at the time.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 2

When she was getting slapped around, she forcefully challenged him, "Does this make you hard?!"  That is a very curious choice of words for a daughter to use. 

I read that as the daughter trying to push his buttons rather than as fact but with this group, who knows?

• Love 8

When Peggy hit Rye, he broke her windshield, but she had Ed back the car into something (a tree?), right? I know neither of them are the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree, but how's that supposed to make sense to the repair shop? Or is that the point--that it will be their undoing?

He wasn't supposed to slide backwards. Peggy said something about how many times he would have to try that to do it on purpose, and to tell people she did it backing into the garage. Ed then said something about getting it right the second time. I think it will have something to do with their undoing, otherwise why do it at all?

• Love 4

I read that as the daughter trying to push his buttons rather than as fact but with this group, who knows?

Me too.  I think we are meant to surmise that he hits his wife and other women with whom he sleeps.

When Peggy hit Rye, he broke her windshield, but she had Ed back the car into something (a tree?), right? I know neither of them are the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree, but how's that supposed to make sense to the repair shop? Or is that the point--that it will be their undoing?

No. The plan was for Ed to hit the tree head-on, but the car skidded on the ice, so he ended up hitting it in the rear.  When the tow truck is there, Peggy and Ed have a conversation in which he says that he "got it right the second time" and we see damage to the front of the car.  Peggy also says that if anyone asks, they are supposed to say that the damage to the back of the car was because she backed into their garage door, which wouldn't produce that kind of damage, but Peggy apparently thinks people will just buy their story.

ETA: Cristina beat me to it by a few seconds. I have to learn to be more succinct! LOL!

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 2

ETA: Cristina beat me to it by a few seconds. I have to learn to be more succinct! LOL!

I needed the longer explanation, so, thanks!

Bokeem Woodbine is giving Mike Milligan a Minnesota accent, but once during a menacing moment in this episode he slipped into a more inner city ghetto cadence. Is the Minnesota accent supposed to be fake and MM's way of talking down to the locals or something? Or is his character supposed to be originally from Minnesota? And was the slip into a more typical African American speech pattern on purpose by BW?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I needed the longer explanation, so, thanks!

Bokeem Woodbine is giving Mike Milligan a Minnesota accent, but once during a menacing moment in this episode he slipped into a more inner city ghetto cadence. Is the Minnesota accent supposed to be fake and MM's way of talking down to the locals or something? Or is his character supposed to be originally from Minnesota? And was the slip into a more typical African American speech pattern on purpose by BW?

We haven't been told where Milligan grew up, only that he works for an organized crime outfit from KC.

However the way the character has a veneer of playfulness over his evil, I've just been assuming that it is his way of having fun.

• Love 5

The plan was for Ed to hit the tree head-on, but the car skidded on the ice, so he ended up hitting it in the rear. When the tow truck is there, Peggy and Ed have a conversation in which he says that he "got it right the second time" and we see damage to the front of the car. Peggy also says that if anyone asks, they are supposed to say that the damage to the back of the car was because she backed into their garage door, which wouldn't produce that kind of damage, but Peggy apparently thinks people will just buy their story.

Also, anyone who's ever seen a procedural or forensic show knows that pieces of the shattered taillight will be found at the scene. It sounded like the windshield shattered at the initial impact, so Ed might've been better off skipping the second attempt.

• Love 1

Also, anyone who's ever seen a procedural or forensic show knows that pieces of the shattered taillight will be found at the scene. It sounded like the windshield shattered at the initial impact, so Ed might've been better off skipping the second attempt.

I haven't figured out Peggy, but I suspect that she knows that they are doing a lousy job of covering their tracks.

I'm thinking that her assurances to Ed that, "It worked" really meant "it worked in setting you up to take the blame, so I can move to California with our savings when you get put in jail."

I'm not sure because they haven't revealed that much about her yet.

• Love 5

Really good episode.  I have to say I’m been very much enjoying this season.

I agree that Patrick Wilson’s Lou was the MVP here.  His standing up to the various criminal elements was a real highlight of the episode.  Lou and the Sheriff really need some back-up if they’re going to take on the Garhadts.

Skip was a moron.  You know you’re going to die…better to get shot down than be buried alive.

Something I picked up on in this episode that the AV Club reviewer also wrote about is you can see clear signs of the unhappy marriage between Ed and Peggy.  The AV Club reviewer said they seem like a Prom Queen/Football Player type of relationship, two people that got married because she became pregnant in high school.  But they have no kid so it makes me wonder what the story is between those two.

I definitely think Peggy’s boss will try to blackmail sex out of her.  But Peggy has a dark mind and I can only imagine who she’ll eventually respond.

Edited by benteen

Yes, Constance is in a position where she is getting all the good clues--she has seen Peggy's car, she overheard the conversation at the salon. I think it's going to get very uncomfortable for Peggy.

• Love 1

I'm sad and disappointed that Skip just got into that hole without even trying to escape. Come on, dude! If they're making you get into a hole, they are going to kill you so at least make a run for it!

Serpentine!

• Love 2

Glad to see Lou working his way through the case (was the other cop somebody from last Season - or the film - I should remember?). Good to see he really was a good (if somewhat plodding & methodical) cop - and his wife is no slouch either. Clearly Molly had good detective genes!

RustbeltWriter  Salesmen always think they can talk their way out of anything
toodles That typewriter guy seemed like a really crappy salesman to me.

He reminded me of William Macy's character from the film, who was an equally poor salesman thinking he could outwit people more ruthless than him. Dodd's killing him was pretty brutal - anyone might think gangsters are unpleasant people. But it did ring true that he complied when Dodd told him to climb into the grave - people do show a remarkable reluctance to risk immediate death even when taking actions that make it more likely (and until somebody holds me at gunpoint I can't say I wouldn't too).

ToastnBacon I haven't figured out Peggy, but I suspect that she knows that they are doing a lousy job of covering their tracks.

Personally I think she reckons she's doing a brilliant job, but we'll see.

Milburn Stone They might have said, "and now I got to wait in line to fill my tank just like I did under Nixon?" They certainly wouldn't have put it all on Carter.

TOTALLY disagree with you there. People can have very short memories when it comes to blaming the government (particularly if they're supporters of the opposition anyway).

• Love 3

Yeah, you never get in the hole. At least make them work for your murder.

Having recently read City of Thieves by David Benioff, I would think twice before running. if they catch you, and they probably will, they could torture you in worse ways than the hole.  Seriously.

And then Hank saying, "yeah it's not like someone would hit somebody with their car and then just drive home and fix dinner".  Unless you're Peggy.

I LOL'd at that!

I also caught a little shout to Marge Gunderson last night when Hank said Rye killed all those people for "a little bit of money." I giggled.

Me as well.  One of Marge's best lines.

No, the other customer definitely mentions that they were doing odd-even rationing. Which was something that did pop up again in 1979, because of the revolution in Iran and related unrest.

Count me among those who remember this.  Bought my first car in 1978, and when taking a road trip in summer, 1979, I was worried about being able to get gas when I needed it.

All 1979 people had vivid memories that gas lines happened under Nixon, only five to six years prior. They might have said, "and now I got to wait in line to fill my tank just like I did under Nixon?" They certainly wouldn't have put it all on Carter.

People have short memories and love to bend facts to their preferred narrative.

I'm caught up with the current series now -- yay!

• Love 1