Type keyword(s) to search

Syfy: aka the SciFi Channel

• Start Topic

shapeshifter - age is just a concept.  The fact that my eyes glazed over (a little more than they normally do due to bad eyesight and no new glasses) at the terms SEO and Google Search suggests I am older than dirt itself.   Funny coming from someone who lives for Nova and Science programming in general, but eschews technology in my personal life in particular!  :-)

I may be closed minded to the techno-revolution in my own life, but am as socially liberal as they come in many other areas, so it all evens out, I suppose.  ;-)

Guess I'm just bitter that I don't have my own personal techno-geek to lead me through these troubled waters (barren loins = no toddler to shame you with their innate icon/app abilities). 

I'm a big fan of the post-apocalyptic genre, if there is such a thing, so am not really suited to most of the SciFi genre.  Yet I find myself drawn to shows that hold the promise of something totally cool and new ... often to be disappointed, yet sometimes, pleasantly surprised.

• Love 3

Do they not own the rights to content that originally aired on their network? (BSG, SG, Farscape etc.) Or do they think people won't watch?

Syfy's corporate sibling USA does the same, if you want White Collar reruns you turn to your MyNetwork TV affiliate (IIRC), you want to see Monk you gotta go lower on the NBCU chain and turn to Cloo. I've seen some old Syfy shows on Chiller but Chiller likes to schedule a full day of a show at a schedule I don't get.

From what little I understand, I think it comes down to how those shows are bought. Usually, a channel like Syfy only buys the rights to air a show from the studio that makes it and those are usually pretty limited (like they can only air a show x number of times until the expiration date, at which point there's another negotiation to make). I think reality shows end up being owned outright, which is why you'll see so much Ghost Hunters (plus it gets good enough ratings) but after a certain point, neither side thinks its worth the effort to negotiate a new contract to put it back on the air. I'm sure someone can explain that better, but that's the gist as I understand it.

• Love 2

From what little I understand, I think it comes down to how those shows are bought. Usually, a channel like Syfy only buys the rights to air a show from the studio that makes it and those are usually pretty limited (like they can only air a show x number of times until the expiration date, at which point there's another negotiation to make). I think reality shows end up being owned outright, which is why you'll see so much Ghost Hunters (plus it gets good enough ratings) but after a certain point, neither side thinks its worth the effort to negotiate a new contract to put it back on the air. I'm sure someone can explain that better, but that's the gist as I understand it.

While I'm sure there is some truth to this, SyFy has always been pretty vocal in their opinion that syndication will get no viewers.  I think it comes down to syndication reaching more viewers if there is no continuing storyline to keep up with.  So syndication is mostly reality, comedy, and procedurals.  None of this fits with recent SciFi.  We get reality that can be stretched to fit in the SciFi category if you squint at them sideways.  Really the only other thing that would work under that definition is the older anthology type shows like Twilight Zone, but there is nothing recent or popular enough to warrant anything more than a holiday marathon for that type of show.

I just saw something that mentioned that with G4 shutting down, SyFy will be picking up reruns of at least 6 shows from that network in 2015.  All seem like reality type shows.  This reinforces my opinion that despite their recent lip service about going back to sci-fi with all these miniseries, the network will never change.

Edited by ParadoxLost

Someone put the original opening to HBO in that thread....  So I dug up Sci-Fi's introduction which was dedicated to two visionaries who died less than a less than a year before the network launched.

And then I dug up the rebranding announcement which reminds me of a soda commercial

And now I'm all ragey again.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 7

...So I dug up Sci-Fi's introduction which was dedicated to two visionaries who died less than a less than a year before the network launched....

And now I'm all ragey again.

Both make me a little sad for things past.

Thanks for posting.

• Love 2

Upfront news: WWE SmackDown moves to sister network USA in 2016 (Variety).

So, on the one hand, that opens up two hours of (Thursday) prime time for more science fiction, or more likely, reality series, but also removes a major revenue source.

• Love 1
Syfy's corporate sibling USA does the same, if you want White Collar reruns you turn to your MyNetwork TV affiliate (IIRC), you want to see Monk you gotta go lower on the NBCU chain and turn to Cloo

With the mention of Cloo now ironic since I have read that many cable providers are dropping the channel because much of their programming is redundant and can be found on other cable networks.

As such, I don't see Cloo having a much longer shelf life.

To tie this to the actual topic (bad mod!), I'm rather shocked Syfy has managed to hold on, even if it is "sci-fi" in title alone. But the sad fact is, it isn't the first to abandon its overall concept. MTV and A&E have kept their names, as well, but are nothing as they started as. Maybe I am painting this with a too-broad brush, and if I am, I apologize, but while sci-fi does have passionate followers thanks to the Mega-hits of Star Wars and Star Trek and other such fare, even with those, I think it is sort of niche. Maybe slightly larger than usual, true, but still niche.

So attracting eyeballs to the channel would always be a challenge. If it returns to its roots, I applaud it, but as these channels come down to the money, honey...I won't hold my breath. Although being divested of wrestling could either be a fresh start to such...or a nail in the revenue coffin. Time will tell which it'll be!

• Love 1

I'm rather shocked Syfy has managed to hold on, even if it is "sci-fi" in title alone. But the sad fact is, it isn't the first to abandon its overall concept. MTV and A&E have kept their names, as well, but are nothing as they started as. Maybe I am painting this with a too-broad brush, and if I am, I apologize, but while sci-fi does have passionate followers thanks to the Mega-hits of Star Wars and Star Trek and other such fare, even with those, I think it is sort of niche. Maybe slightly larger than usual, true, but still niche.

I get a lot of my British programming from sources other than BBC America, and I watch sci-fi outside Syfy: Doctor Who, The Leftovers, Orphan Black, The Returned, Twilight Zone, The Walking Dead…. I love Z Nation, and I hate-watch Haven. Other than Ascension, I can't think of anything else I watched on Syfy last year.

Lavantula -- Steven Guttenberg, Michael Winslow and others battle lava breathing tarantulas in Los Angeles.   Premiering this summer.   I think I am in love.   This could be even better than Sharknado.

• Love 4

I just read this article on Io9:

Dan Simmons’ Hugo-winning Hyperion is set to become an “event series” on Syfy, courtesy of producers Bradley Cooper, Todd Phillips (The Hangover), and Graham King (The Departed), plus Itamar Moses (Boardwalk Empire), who’ll write the adaptation of what’s often called scifi’s answer to The Canterbury Tales.

http://io9.com/dan-simmons-fan-bradley-cooper-is-finally-making-his-hy-1710428755

• Love 1

I love those books!

I don't know if I should be extraordinarily excited or extraordinarily worried that Syfy is going to film this.

Personally, I think they did a good job on doing a miniseries for the first Dune book, and I do know that miniseries are what SyFy can do the best. Although, it's been a while since I saw a SyFy miniseries (and I think that they were still calling themselves, "Sci-Fi" way back then), so I do not know if the quality has been lowered. 

It's Sharknado 3 day.   Oh Hell No.   Oh Hell YES.    (sorry couldn't resist)

Looking forward to this.   Although I have to say as someone who is a cheese junkie, even the "shark"something v. something is gettig a little lame over on SciFi.   They are clearly out of ideas.  And Z list actors willing to appear in said low, low, low budget flicks.

I have noticed that with Dominion, Killjoys, and Dark Matter, the network is trending to more original science fiction series of late. While I only regard one of those three as worth my time to watch, I do applaud the change in direction.

• Love 1

Tragic underuse of Tara Reid's chainsaw hand.

I agree. If you are going to give someone a chainsaw hand you gotta use it.....a lot. Tara Reid may not be the greatest actress but she works in this series and so does her hand.

• Love 1

While I only regard one of those three as worth my time

Please tell me it's Killjoys.  Because I love that one.  Defiance has some OK stuff but I think it's kind of generic, and Dominion is just plain bad.

But isn't Killjoys another Canadian show, like Lost Girl and Warehouse 13?

I see that SyFy will be showing a series of Childhood's End. And since it is SyFy, I can't help but wonder how they're going to screw up this classic Arthur C. Clarke story. I still remember what they did to The Wizard of Oz.

• Love 2

SciFi missed a huge opportunity this weekend.   They are premiering Tremors 5 tomorrow night at 9.   For some reason, they are not showing a marathon of all the other Tremors movies prior to the premiere.   I'm snowed in, I would totally just sit in front of the tv and watch every single one while enjoying my blizzard booze and chocolate.   

If power goes out, I will be furious.   I cannot miss this fine, fine movie.

• Love 1

Syfy has found its footing again. 12 Monkeys and The Expanse are legitimately good shows. I think Dark Matter is entertaining, have read good things about Killjoys (although it's probably not something I'll pick up.) and The Magicians looks interesting.

And no more wrestling!

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5
On 11/15/2016 at 9:10 PM, xaxat said:

I really doubt they can pull this off.

Oof.  Me too.  I really, really liked The Expanse and Killjoys.  Dark Matter was not for me although Mr Rat watched it and The Magicians, which I knew I wasn't going to bother with since I was l lukewarm about the trilogy of books it's based on (and why did I read all three? because once I started I wanted to find out what happened (sigh) and because I can read three books in so much less time than it will take me to watch even part of a season of a TV show).

I don't think Stranger is unfilmable exactly - but all those long philosophical Heinlein speeches that are perfectly interesting and readable in a printed book - will be much more daunting as spoken word.  And that's a lot of the book!  which you like or you don't.  Heinlein is kind of polarizing that way.  I like him a lot and sometimes even I feel he's kind of a bloviating load.:)

• Love 1
(edited)

So, Syfy has updated its logo:

591553bb548d5_SYFYStackedLogo_Black.jpg.b3282aa1f45b1f19ec187ac2baf2343d.jpg

"That's not an 'S," it's two quotation marks rotated ninety degrees!"

Accompanying press release: SYFY “REBOOTS” AHEAD OF 25th ANNIVERSARY (NBCUMV.com). The official logo update is to happen on Monday, June 19th.

In other news, formal series pick-ups for the Christopher Meloni vehicle "Happy!" and the Superman-prequel "Krypton," were announced this week (NBCUMV.com). Also announced was an apparent straight-to-series pick-up for an adaptation of George R.R. Martin's Nightflyers (which was previously a very bad movie starring Catherine Mary Stewart of The Last Starfighter and Weekend at Bernie's).

Edited by Just Here
removed unused logo image
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Just Here said:

That font gives me a headache.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Just Here said:

Accompanying press release: SYFY “REBOOTS” AHEAD OF 25th ANNIVERSARY (NBCUMV.com). The official logo update is to happen on Monday, June 19th.

In other news, formal series pick-ups for the Christopher Meloni vehicle "Happy!" and the Superman-prequel "Krypton," were announced this week (NBCUMV.com). Also announced was an apparent straight-to-series pick-up for an adaptation of George R.R. Martin's Nightflyers (which was previously a very bad movie starring Catherine Mary Stewart of The Last Starfighter and Weekend at Bernie's).

So they changed to just giant blocky letters?

That logo kinda sucks as is (and I still hate the spelling).

But, if you look at the photo-negative and shrink it down so it'll be more like what will be in the corner of the screen, it does look somewhat better:

bug.png.80e50617b1b9fad46f30ff8f0d08d883.png

I am probably a minority of 1 or 2 but I enjoyed the hell out of all the "Asylum" type disaster or monster movies that SYFY ran..  It just made for mindless, fun viewing for me.. which was therapeutic..  I also enjoyed a few of the series as well.  I gravitated more to Dark Matter more than Killjoys, mainly because Killjoy's just got too complicated to follow.  Loved all but last year of Z Nation.. and I really liked the 1st year of Wynona Earp.. Last year was not so good.

Having said all that.., I think they have killed the network with nothing but Futurama marathon's.  Even Twilight Zone marathons... just goes to show me they are sort of lost and lacking any real programming.. 

It seems my displeasure is amplified more now that Chiller (my backup) is gone...

Edited by tiredofwork
  • Love 2

I haven't watched this channel in years, but saw a promo for some kind of movie review show with puppets. I watched a preview on YouTube,  but they seemed to be insulting each other instead of doing what the description says. 🤔