Type keyword(s) to search

Leon Brown: So Here's Me

Pallas
Message added by Scarlett45,

Leon is transgender and uses they/them pronouns. As defined in the GLAAD guidelines, they are a they, were a they, and will be a they unless they ever tell us something different.  Per those guidelines, referring to them as a woman or a girl or as she is not okay, regardless of any modifier placed before these words or the time period being discussed.  Referring to them by any name besides "Leon" or "Leo" is not appropriate, regardless of the time period being discussed. Intent matters and people may slip up. Let's strive to respect their identity.

Please review the guidelines of the site regarding the Hate Speech and Insensitive Language Policy, which includes guidelines from GLAAD for the LGBTQ+ community.

Also remember the Golden Rule of Primetimer is Be Civil.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Shit for a minute I was gonna ask to buy a vowel, until I realized what forum I am in.

MFM That made me laugh out loud!!  Absolom, I too hope to live long enough to see this bull crap pass! 70 yr old COL here,  just hoping the world rights itself and kicks this stupidity to the curb!

• Love 14
22 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I'm sorry, I'm a COL but I STILL do not get what is sexist about a k?  I vaguely get women and female as they are offshoots (or even diminutives) of men and males, but I thought folks was automatically non-gender-specific.  Was she traumatized by a K in her past?  What's next - pxoplx? 

Uhh...

dtm2Q.gif

LOL, I kid, I kid.  

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 19
  • Love 1

wtyow toiufdx oiut, ctnnxx nhtyyx brhyzx sdlk?  xmtt, ykjjs rytws!!  LOL!

(disclaimer: this is jibberish.  But at some point this is how we're going to be talking to each other if the woke folkx have anything to say about it.  If you need me, I will be at my local library reading real books, typing letters on a typewriter and making calls on my rotary phone, petitioning for the return of card catalogs and the Dewey Decimal system).

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 14
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I will be at my local library reading real books, typing letters on a typewriter and making calls on my rotary phone, petitioning for the return of card catalogs and the Dewey Decimal system).

My public library still uses the Dewey Decimal system in their online catalog and organization of the books on library shelves, but I remember most of my favourite numbers from the olden days of card catalogs.

• Love 8

Why doesn't Her Royal Wokeness just spell everything ass-backwards?  Then her fawning fans could just hold it up to a mirror, and instantly decode everything that Her Highness says.

This X shit makes me even crabbier than usual.  Where do they get this stuff?  It's just all kinds of stupid.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

It's not like he lives outdoors in a pen.  For the short amount of time it takes them to find a patch of grass it's unlikely he will freeze. Most likely he'll perish from humiliation.

4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

This X shit makes me even crabbier than usual.  Where do they get this stuff?  It's just all kinds of stupid.

And, as a COL, I don't want to be socially inept but is this an LBGTQLMENOP thing?  I have gay relatives that don't talk or write like that.  Is it something Princess Pudge made up?

4 hours ago, deirdra said:

...the olden days of card catalogs.

I'd kill for one of those big old cabinets with all of the cool little drawers.  Did anyone else find that the card for the book for which you were searching was ALWAYS in the bottom drawer?

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And, as a COL, I don't want to be socially inept but is this an LBGTQLMENOP thing?  I have gay relatives that don't talk or write like that.  Is it something Princess Pudge made up?

It's more specifically a gender identity thing.  It allows those who don't identify as Male or Female to designate as X.  It's a growing movement to accommodate gender non conformists on official documents such as state and federal forms, birth certificates, etc.   They do this because in almost all cases being male or female is not related to your sex and not associated with things like biology or chromosomes, you can pick what you want to identify as on any given day.  And there are quite a few possibilities, far too many to list on forms so X is (at least for the time being) the catch all.  Facebook provides something like 50 some gender options and it's still growing.

ETA: my bad Tumbler lists 112 genders which in and of itself is too limiting as you can add suffixes and prefixes to these core genders to customize it to your specific state of being. https://dudeasks.com/how-many-genders-are-there-in-2019/

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

My personal opinion is that it's a plot in order to be able to use the "X" tile in Scrabble/words with Friends more often. 

The X being 8 points while the K is a measly 5 points. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it or sticxing to it. 

👍😂

• LOL 20
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:
11 hours ago, deirdra said:

...the olden days of card catalogs.

I'd kill for one of those big old cabinets with all of the cool little drawers.  Did anyone else find that the card for the book for which you were searching was ALWAYS in the bottom drawer?

A lot of libraries sold their card catalogs - I've seen them many places.  As someone who used to have to file those cards - I DON'T MISS THE CARD CATALOG AT ALL!!!!!  Every book had at least 3 cards that had to be filed in 3 separate catalogs - Author, Title, Subject.  If it was a scholarly text it could have several subject cards or more than one card for multiple authors.  Since libraries were always adding books it was a never ending task - there was always filing to do.  And when they decided to get rid of some of their books, someone had to go through and pull all the cards out.  Nope, didn't miss it a bit.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

A lot of libraries sold their card catalogs - I've seen them many places.  As someone who used to have to file those cards - I DON'T MISS THE CARD CATALOG AT ALL!!!!!  Every book had at least 3 cards that had to be filed in 3 separate catalogs - Author, Title, Subject.  If it was a scholarly text it could have several subject cards or more than one card for multiple authors.  Since libraries were always adding books it was a never ending task - there was always filing to do.  And when they decided to get rid of some of their books, someone had to go through and pull all the cards out.  Nope, didn't miss it a bit.

My all time favorite job was at the Library.  It just didn't pay more than minimum wage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

ETA: my bad Tumbler lists 112 genders which in and of itself is too limiting as you can add suffixes and prefixes to these core genders to customize it to your specific state of being. https://dudeasks.com/how-many-genders-are-there-in-2019/

Arggh give me friking break my son a battalion fire chief in a major Ca city and his wife have 3 amazingly smart and amazing daughters, my daughter a police captain in a major CA Bay Area city and her wife have 3 wonderful children. I have never heard any of this foolish folx/shit ever from either of them and they live in CA. They are living their lives, serving their communities, not doing any of this shit Mariah is trying to make like it is so common...Mariah go fux yourself. ..I have no respect for you.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

It's more specifically a gender identity thing.  It allows those who don't identify as Male or Female to designate as X.  It's a growing movement to accommodate gender non conformists on official documents such as state and federal forms, birth certificates, etc.   They do this because in almost all cases being male or female is not related to your sex and not associated with things like biology or chromosomes, you can pick what you want to identify as on any given day.  And there are quite a few possibilities, far too many to list on forms so X is (at least for the time being) the catch all.  Facebook provides something like 50 some gender options and it's still growing.

I don't think state and federal forms are interested in what gender anyone identifies with or why at any given moment, and I question whether that should matter for the purposes of filling out a form.  That's between you and yourself.  AFAIK forms just want to know what your sex is, as in what DNA you were born with, not your gender identity.  Or maybe the forms should change the question to make that clear.   I suppose for the woke crowd all that matters is gender identity and DNA is what is irrelevant.  Well, maybe it is what matters in some situations, but not when it comes to other things.  That point is certainly arguable, and I think that's the crux of this issue.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't think state and federal forms are interested in what gender anyone identifies with or why at any given moment, and I question whether that should matter for the purposes of filling out a form.  That's between you and yourself.  AFAIK forms just want to know what your sex is, as in what DNA you were born with, not your gender identity.  Or maybe the forms should change the question to make that clear.   I suppose for the woke crowd all that matters is gender identity and DNA is what is irrelevant.  Well, maybe it is what matters in some situations, but not when it comes to other things.  That point is certainly arguable, and I think that's the crux of this issue.

States are officially and legally recognizing and including gender X on state issued forms and IDs.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/02/nonbinary-intersex-11-u-s-states-issuing-third-gender-ids/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/08/nonbinary-gender-ids-momentum-intersex-state-driver-licenses/1802059001/

As far as federal, courts have ruled in favor of non-binary designations 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_recognition_of_non-binary_gender#United_States

11 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

All this new terminology, I am a COL and did the term fluid replace bi-sexual or bi-curious ?  

No fluid has nothing to do with one's sexuality it is specifically related to one's gender identity

remember, the current banner is that sexuality and gender are absolutely not related.

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Arggh give me friking break my son a battalion fire chief in a major Ca city and his wife have 3 amazingly smart and amazing daughters, my daughter a police captain in a major CA Bay Area city and her wife have 3 wonderful children. I have never heard any of this foolish folx/shit ever from either of them and they live in CA. They are living their lives, serving their communities, not doing any of this shit Mariah is trying to make like it is so common...Mariah go fux yourself. ..I have no respect for you.

I lived in CA and Las Vegas and have heard more of this from Mariah than I ever did in those places. She really is self-absorbed, overly so. I’m sympathetic to gender identity issues because I know people dealing with it and it’s hard for them, but the Mariahs of the world are being stupid about how they’re tackling this issue. 

I don’t know where Wokey McWoke Face got “mylk” from, they’ve never spelled it like that on any carton of it I’ve ever seen anywhere. Let’s just make shit up! 

Edited by TurtlePower
Auto incorrect
  • Love 3

I'm clueless because I thought substituting the "x" had something to do with the fact that "xx" is the female chromosome.😕

I guess if the government wants to know whether you were born with a male, female, or intersex reproductive system, they could ask that separately from gender identification? Why official forms would need to know sexuality, I don't know--but as I said, I am clueless.

Edited by Adiba
spelling
  • Love 8
58 minutes ago, sharkerbaby said:

Just because government is giving into it doesn't mean it has any relevance to anything to do with the form whatsoever.  To me it just means that certain groups now want to be in control of the forms for their own feelings' sake, and government doesn't want to offend anyone so it's allowing it.  Because I don't think much case can be made to justify knowing someone's gender preference on many government forms.  What difference does it make?  Nobody cares whether I as a woman prefer men or women or whether I identify more as a man or woman except the people making the deal about this.  We're all equal regardless of any of this, so none of this should have to be disclosed because we should all accept each other and have the same rights no matter what gender we identify as.  Separating ourselves out from one another like this only promotes exclusion, not inclusion.  I personally will not claim to be a "COL".  I think there are a lot of "CYL"s out there (Clueless Young Women) like Mariah, that buy this garbage, though.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Just because government is giving into it doesn't mean it has any relevance to anything to do with the form whatsoever.  To me it just means that certain groups now want to be in control of the forms for their own feelings' sake, and government doesn't want to offend anyone so it's allowing it.  Because I don't think much case can be made to justify knowing someone's gender preference on many government forms.  What difference does it make?  Nobody cares whether I as a woman prefer men or women or whether I identify more as a man or woman except the people making the deal about this.  We're all equal regardless of any of this, so none of this should have to be disclosed because we should all accept each other and have the same rights no matter what gender we identify as.  Separating ourselves out from one another like this only promotes exclusion, not inclusion.  I personally will not claim to be a "COL".  I think there are a lot of "CYL"s out there (Clueless Young Women) like Mariah, that buy this garbage, though.

Amen Sister.  My posts may not have seemed like it but I couldn't agree more (especially with the bolded).  My posts' intents were mostly to inform - although if you look closely and read between the lines I did subtly allude to my opinion. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Please thank your son for his service - my mom lives up north in the wine country and has been affected by the annual fires. ❤️❤️

And yup I've been in the SF Bay Area my whole life, at least a third of my coworkers are LBGTQ, my employer is known globally for its dedication to inclusion and diversity...and never seen "folx" used. 

I think Mariah has too much time on her hands. Girl needs a JOB. A REAL job.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, sharkerbaby said:

Amen Sister.  My posts may not have seemed like it but I couldn't agree more (especially with the bolded).  My posts' intents were mostly to inform - although if you look closely and read between the lines I did subtly allude to my opinion. 

Wow, what a relief, I thought you were going to report me, LOL.  I have to admit it's hard to be honest about my opinion about this online anymore without being virtually flogged.  So I usually don't do it.  Except here among my fellow COLs, of course.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

And yup I've been in the SF Bay Area my whole life, at least a third of my coworkers are LBGTQ, my employer is known globally for its dedication to inclusion and diversity...and never seen "folx" used.

I've heard that a very small minority of activists are controlling the narrative for a number of social issues that they have either invented or exaggerated and pushed for their own purposes, and that most "normal" people of all genders and sexual orientations don't care about most of it.  Somehow they get all the publicity and push through their radical agendas, though.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9

Just what we need in this world . . . another full page added to every form, allowing people to identify with whatever gender / sexual preference etc., etc., etc.

I think I did see a form recently that offered under Gender Identity:

_____ Male

_____ Female

_____ Other  ______________________________
         (Please specify, if you wish to do so)

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

it's hard to be honest about my opinion about this online anymore without being virtually flogged. 

Yep hence "look closely and read between the lines"

38 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

So I usually don't do it.

Me neither which is why I "subtly allude to my opinion".  I don't post often and when I do it's almost always providing background, additional facts, or to share some other sourced information. (See my posts regarding Chicago neighborhoods, and where the National Guard fits into the overall US Military structure)  It is also so why 9 out 10 times I will also include links to source material or references.  I don't claim to be able to read others intentions, thoughts or motivations so I generally stay away from those discussions but will comment occasionally if the subject of discussion has actually verbalized an opinion, belief, or an account of an event from their perspective.

29 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I've heard that a very small minority of activists are controlling the narrative for a number of social issues that they have either invented or exaggerated and pushed for their own purposes, and that most "normal" people of all genders and sexual orientations don't care about most of it.  Somehow they get all the publicity and push through their radical agendas, though.

I believe this to be true as well.  As a recent example and one that applies here both to Mariah and to this specific discussion, Gallup recently surveyed to get a sense of how common people believed homosexuality was in the general population.  The results showed that more than 35% of the American public thought more than 25% of people were LGBTQ when in fact most experts estimate it to be less than 5% some even say less than 3%.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/259571/americans-greatly-overestimate-gay-population.aspx

not to be controversial and throw unsubstantiated words out there but (and this is my OPINION), I think some of the overestimation is because it's kind of trendy to be part of the LGBTQ community.

Regarding the bolded.... squeaky wheel and all that

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Thank you to your son and daughter! Especially during the fire seasons here in CA.  What a tough job to have.   I’m in CA, but in the wacky Bay Area, and the whole ‘x’ for everything has pretty much taken over, sadly.  Drives me nuts.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Please thank your son for his service - my mom lives up north in the wine country and has been affected by the annual fires. ❤️❤️

I think Mariah has too much time on her hands. Girl needs a JOB. A REAL job.

Bay Area here too!!! 😃😃

although, my my husband works in Berkeley and is trying to keep up with much of the wokeness, and my poor teenager is also getting his fair share of ‘teachings’... 

I wonder why why some areas are more prevalent with this nonsense??

2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, sharkerbaby said:

Yep hence "look closely and read between the lines"

Me neither which is why I "subtly allude to my opinion".  I don't post often and when I do it's almost always providing background, additional facts, or to share some other sourced information. (See my posts regarding Chicago neighborhoods, and where the National Guard fits into the overall US Military structure)  It is also so why 9 out 10 times I will also include links to source material or references.  I don't claim to be able to read others intentions, thoughts or motivations so I generally stay away from those discussions but will comment occasionally if the subject of discussion has actually verbalized an opinion, belief, or an account of an event from their perspective.

I believe this to be true as well.  As a recent example and one that applies here both to Mariah and to this specific discussion, Gallup recently surveyed to get a sense of how common people believed homosexuality was in the general population.  The results showed that more than 35% of the American public thought more than 25% of people were LGBTQ when in fact most experts estimate it to be less than 5% some even say less than 3%.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/259571/americans-greatly-overestimate-gay-population.aspx

not to be controversial and throw unsubstantiated words out there but (and this is my OPINION), I think some of the overestimation is because it's kind of trendy to be part of the LGBTQ community.

Wow, color me a real COL today because that's news to me!  I was going by estimates that placed it at around 10% of the population accounting for a presumed number that might not be willing to admit it.  But that was decades ago already and now people are much more willing to be open about such things.  So that's really eye opening - thanks for posting that.  I personally think some of the overestimation is made in response to a massive social movement and awareness raising by a small group of very outspoken activists in the public eye.  It's easy to overestimate their numbers based on the out-sized prevalence of their public presence.

10 minutes ago, Stefphill said:

This stuff is more prevalent in urban areas with a lot of liberal universities and young people that go to them and get exposed to all kinds of ideologies there, which actually accounts for a very small geographic area concentrated on the coasts.  The "silent majority" still exists but it's much quieter, and unfortunately in a lot of cases is unaware of the nonsense going on in these other areas.  Parents are unknowingly sending their kids to school, paying lots of money only to have them indoctrinated into all kinds of wacky ideologies, some of which are subversive and ultimately dangerous to this country and its principles, IMHO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

Wow, color me a real COL today because that's news to me!  I was going by estimates that placed it at around 10% of the population accounting for a presumed number that might not be willing to admit it.  But that was decades ago already and now people are much more willing to be open about such things.  So that's really eye opening - thanks for posting that.  I personally think some of the overestimation is made in response to a massive social movement and awareness raising by a small group of very outspoken activists in the public eye.  It's easy to overestimate their numbers based on the out-sized prevalence of their public presence.

This stuff is more prevalent in urban areas with a lot of liberal universities and young people that go to them and get exposed to all kinds of ideologies there, which actually accounts for a very small geographic area concentrated on the coasts.  The "silent majority" still exists but it's much quieter, and unfortunately in a lot of cases is unaware of the nonsense going on in these other areas.  Parents are unknowingly sending their kids to school, paying lots of money only to have them indoctrinated into all kinds of wacky ideologies, some of which are subversive and ultimately dangerous to this country and its principles, IMHO.

That makes sense.  Ugh. It’s frustrating 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Stefphill said:

Bay Area here too!!! 😃😃

although, my my husband works in Berkeley and is trying to keep up with much of the wokeness, and my poor teenager is also getting his fair share of ‘teachings’... 

I worked at a top 10 university for 20 years which is primarily where I was exposed to much of the progressive and social justice issues currently pursued and hyped .  The views and approach exhibited by Mariah and so many of her peers is standard fair amongst many of today's students, faculty, and administration.  For the most part, today's university's are the bastion of progressive ideals and see their primary mission as pursuing and informing on social and cultural issues rather than the pursuit of free and open sharing of information and knowledge.  Many have gone so far as to change their official mission statements (I think Harvard may be one of them).

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

giphy.gif That is all  

• Love 2

Sexual orientation is tricky to quantify, because it tends to rely on self-identification.  And a lot of people don't self-identify in a way that matches their actual behavior.  Males in particular are known to call themselves "straight" even when they have sex with guys--I've heard of some that say that since they are the ones doing the penetrating when they are having sex with a guy, they're still straight because they are doing the "man's" role. 

Kinsey, from whom we got the 10% number, looked only at behavior--what people did, not what they called themselves or who they were attracted to.  Granted, he may not have had the most representative sample (he could only get information from those who chose to talk to him, and in the 1940's and 1950's that was a lot harder to get people to talk about than today).

And then we get things like, OK, how many same-sex partners does a person have to have in order to no longer be straight?  One?  But what if someone tried it once and never again--are they still bisexual?  What if someone is attracted to same-sex people but never act on it--are they straight?  What if someone male married a woman to try and "cure" himself, but now only sleeps with men and never women--are they bisexual, or gay?  It's complicated.

I also don't think all colleges and universities are liberal bastions of progressiveness, or at least aren't any more than they always have been.  College/University is a place to go to be exposed to new ideas as well as gain new knowledge, and while many "fads" are adopted by students for a while it will be interesting to see how many of the fads fall by the wayside over time. 

Mariah I think is still overcompensating for growing up in an environment where heterosexuality is the only way to live, where men are so important that women are willing to share one, and where having multiple children is the only way women have value.  It's quite a plateful to discard, and I'm assuming her pendulum will eventually swing more toward the center.

(Sorry for the essay--college psychology professor here.  I have a whole lecture on this, which causes the most interesting discussions.)

• Useful 5
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

...wacky ideologies, some of which are subversive and ultimately dangerous to this country and its principles,

I am not sure how gender identity is subversive to this country.  We have the most diverse population in the world which makes us a very interesting country, in my opinion.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Fosca said:

I also don't think all colleges and universities are liberal bastions of progressiveness, or at least aren't any more than they always have been.  College/University is a place to go to be exposed to new ideas as well as gain new knowledge, and while many "fads" are adopted by students for a while it will be interesting to see how many of the fads fall by the wayside over time. 

This.  Every generation has its cause.  They come, they go.

3 hours ago, Fosca said:

Mariah I think is still overcompensating for growing up in an environment where heterosexuality is the only way to live, where men are so important that women are willing to share one, and where having multiple children is the only way women have value.  It's quite a plateful to discard, and I'm assuming her pendulum will eventually swing more toward the center.

She's like a toddler throwing a major tantrum to get attention.  Once she's out of the limelight I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she drops all of this.  We know how she flits from cause to cause, posting one or two things and then totally abandoning them. I bet she doesn't even remember half of what she's hawking.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I am not sure how gender identity is subversive to this country.  We have the most diverse population in the world which makes us a very interesting country, in my opinion.

I wasn't referring to gender identity as being subversive to this country.  I mentioned how I think there are some wacky ideologies being pushed at universities that are subversive to this country.  I didn't say which ones, and I definitely wouldn't include that one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Fosca said:

Sexual orientation is tricky to quantify, because it tends to rely on self-identification.  And a lot of people don't self-identify in a way that matches their actual behavior.  Males in particular are known to call themselves "straight" even when they have sex with guys--I've heard of some that say that since they are the ones doing the penetrating when they are having sex with a guy, they're still straight because they are doing the "man's" role. 

Kinsey, from whom we got the 10% number, looked only at behavior--what people did, not what they called themselves or who they were attracted to.  Granted, he may not have had the most representative sample (he could only get information from those who chose to talk to him, and in the 1940's and 1950's that was a lot harder to get people to talk about than today).

And then we get things like, OK, how many same-sex partners does a person have to have in order to no longer be straight?  One?  But what if someone tried it once and never again--are they still bisexual?  What if someone is attracted to same-sex people but never act on it--are they straight?  What if someone male married a woman to try and "cure" himself, but now only sleeps with men and never women--are they bisexual, or gay?  It's complicated.

We used to have a category called "bicurious" which included people that maybe tried it once but never again and those that thought about it but never acted on it.  I never hear that word used anymore, but at least it gave another option rather than just gay or straight.

Two male friends of mine have admitted to having same sex relationships at one time in their pasts, but will never admit to being anything but dead straight.  I've never understood that to be honest.  Both had full relationships with a man that lasted more than a year.  They claim they were kind of pressured into it but both were full adults at the time and were not exploited or anything.  Very strange, but it just goes to substantiate your point.  Both are now happily married to women for decades and never talk about men in any other way than as platonic friends.

Yes, I was trying to remember where I had heard the 10% estimate before and it was most definitely Kinsey.

7 hours ago, Fosca said:

Yes, and some of us here including me have said similar in other posts.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

We have the most diverse population in the world which makes us a very interesting country, in my opinion.

I just wanted to add that I couldn't agree with you more on this.  When I react to Mariah and her "woke folx" gibberish, please let it not take away from that fact.  I grew up in NYC so no one knows more about growing up in a diverse country than me.  I had 3 races represented in my wedding party almost 40 years ago, plus one gay man.  My grade school classes looked like I went to the UN International school because so many races/cultures were represented.  I witnessed the gay pride parades down in Greenwich Village every year.  My parents were very socially liberal people for their time and counted people of all races and sexual orientations in their circle of work and personal friends.  Even the priest at my Episcopal church at one time was an openly gay man.  When he was dying of AIDS in 1993 I came to visit him in the hospital and cried when he told me that some members of the congregation turned their backs on him because he was gay.  So yeah, I just wanted to offer that bit of background on me to anyone that might think I don't appreciate sexual, gender, and other forms of diversity just because I think that Mariah and her brand of wacky ideology is ridiculous and ultimately promotes exclusivity rather than inclusivity.  If some people think that makes me a "prejudiced" or "bigoted" COL well what can I say?

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I just wanted to add that I couldn't agree with you more on this.  When I react to Mariah and her "woke folx" gibberish, please let it not take away from that fact.  I grew up in NYC so no one knows more about growing up in a diverse country than me.  I had 3 races represented in my wedding party almost 40 years ago, plus one gay man.  My grade school classes looked like I went to the UN International school because so many races/cultures were represented.  I witnessed the gay pride parades down in Greenwich Village every year.  My parents were very socially liberal people for their time and counted people of all races and sexual orientations in their circle of work and personal friends.  Even the priest at my Episcopal church at one time was an openly gay man.  When he was dying of AIDS in 1993 I came to visit him in the hospital and cried when he told me that some members of the congregation turned their backs on him because he was gay.  So yeah, I just wanted to offer that bit of background on me to anyone that might think I don't appreciate sexual, gender, and other forms of diversity just because I think that Mariah and her brand of wacky ideology is ridiculous and ultimately promotes exclusivity rather than inclusivity.  If some people think that makes me a "prejudiced" or "bigoted" COL well what can I say?

Thank you.

• Love 4

I was born in 1950 so I was a teenager in the '60s. I was raised in a home by parents who had a wide diversity of friends and business acquaintances.

I have always been for the underdog and have prided myself on presenting and defending my views with (what I felt to be) well thought out opinions during discussions and arguments.

My daughter was born in '71 so she was a tween/a teen during the '80s and we had many discussions about being gay. IIRC this began because of Boy George and branched out because of others she "wondered" about. We talked about actors, musicians and historical figures who were gay.

I preached to her and her friends about how wrong and how narrow minded it is to define someone by how they felt about and used the equipment between their legs.

"You will meet these people as you go through life and the thing that matters most is their character. Can you trust them? Are they honest, are they kind? Are they mean to little kids? Do they have what you look for in a friend? Do they apply themselves in school? Do they cheat on tests? Do they take good care of their pets? And, by the way, the brain is the most important sexual organ."

When they got older I added that, when you get down to the nitty gritty, a whole lot of straight people do kinky stuff with their equipment but they get a free pass on their behavior and ... the majority of child molesters and rapists are straight.

So now, all these years later, I'm being told in large and in small ways that I am expected to automatically regard people in a certain way because of the equipment between their legs. It's all about the equipment. It is their defining characteristic. It is their defining mantra. Pffftt.

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 11/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, DakotaJustice said:

22 hours ago, Stefphill said:

I’m in CA, but in the wacky Bay Area, and the whole ‘x’ for everything has pretty much taken over, sadly.  Drives me nuts.

I grew up in the Bay Area...Pacifica to be exact.  Went to HS there and everything.  Miss it a lot, but some things I don't miss.  I hear about these things that @Stefphill mentioned from my HS best friend who still lives there.  My mom is still in Vacaville.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

o yeah, I just wanted to offer that bit of background on me to anyone that might think I don't appreciate sexual, gender, and other forms of diversity just because I think that Mariah and her brand of wacky ideology is ridiculous and ultimately promotes exclusivity rather than inclusivity.  If some people think that makes me a "prejudiced" or "bigoted" COL well what can I say?

Oh, no I never thought that at all.  We all (as far as I can tell) are totally accepting of her lifestyle despite our COL status. It's Pudge's sense of entitlement and know it all attitude that we can agree is obnoxious on all counts. I wouldn't care what she's preaching about, it's the way she goes about it that drives me nuts.  Smug little know it all.

My reaction was more to the sentence about "wacky ideologies, some of which are subversive and ultimately dangerous to this country and its principles"  With all of the talk about this side or that side plotting to take over the world it just kind of made me itchy.  Nothing that I taught in junior college was remotely dangerous to the principles of this country which seem to change by the day as it is!

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

A lot of people have those. Even I can’t pick on her for that. The squinty eyes, on the other hand, are fair game. 

It's so predictable. She's a walking cliché. UGH.

• LOL 8
  • Love 8