Type keyword(s) to search

Leon Brown: So Here's Me

Pallas
Message added by Scarlett45,

Leon is transgender and uses they/them pronouns. As defined in the GLAAD guidelines, they are a they, were a they, and will be a they unless they ever tell us something different.  Per those guidelines, referring to them as a woman or a girl or as she is not okay, regardless of any modifier placed before these words or the time period being discussed.  Referring to them by any name besides "Leon" or "Leo" is not appropriate, regardless of the time period being discussed. Intent matters and people may slip up. Let's strive to respect their identity.

Please review the guidelines of the site regarding the Hate Speech and Insensitive Language Policy, which includes guidelines from GLAAD for the LGBTQ+ community.

Also remember the Golden Rule of Primetimer is Be Civil.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Where people aren’t telling the truth”?!? Perfect example of the hypocrisy of the pot calling the kettle black.

Mariah, SHUT UP. You think you’re representing the actual you on social media? Until you’re free and clear of your own hypocrisy—and we can cite examples—STFU.

“Heal the world”, Mariah? Why don’t you start with apologizing for your lies regarding your necessary “emotional support animal” we never see you with, except to get onto a commercial aircraft. You publicly shamed them. You want restorative justice? START THERE you entitled, hypocritical ass-wipe. 

Exactly, lets start with your grifter family. Food stamp fraud. Your narcissistic mother and her catfishing lies, and the list goes on. Why do I feel that Sludge gets to traipse behind this skank with a backpack and snacks while princess pudge does random poses and she has to snap them. Shouldn't Sludge just be relocated to the laundry mat washing your cloths or something ?  

• Love 7
On 10/19/2019 at 7:05 PM, Sofa Sloth said:

Also a new unflattering photo:

9D7E904A-7B08-4FFA-81F6-C9980B877F67.thumb.jpeg.5e61c15511f3c86f65321bb5ebfe2b30.jpeg

I tried it today and squatting more than Mariah did I can raise both hands.  The kicker for Mariah, I'm 68.  I did it in front of chair in case I lost my balance.  I haven't been to the miracle Bali yoga class or ever taken a formal yoga class in my life. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

From the first sentence I knew it would be ugly.  Pour yourself a nice glass of wine (perhaps a red to go with the red pencil you will be using) before you begin.  Her usage of commas is a bit random at times.   I was tempted to print it out and edit it, but I need to organize my sock drawer.

I'm a retired university professor and administrators were trying to get us to use green pencil so students wouldn't be "triggered" by our bright red constructive criticism.  But I continued to use red ink because it is the most visible.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I'm a retired university professor and administrators were trying to get us to use green pencil so students wouldn't be "triggered" by our bright red constructive criticism.  But I continued to use red ink because it is the most visible.

“Triggered”? By red corrections? What happened to these poor, delicate flowers if they saw red marks on their work? 

These students would have died in my senior thesis class. We got torn apart in front of the entire group if we used “that” or “which” incorrectly. Some students left in tears. The flowers described above would have wilted just walking through the door. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

Mariah would have crumbled if she had been graded by my co-TA in grad school 42 years ago. He drew a pile of steaming turds in the margin when pure bull was spouted. I literally laughed out loud when I saw it and wished I had thought of it.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

These students would have died in my senior thesis class. We got torn apart in front of the entire group if we used “that” or “which” incorrectly. Some students left in tears. The flowers described above would have wilted just walking through the door. 

Ah, that sounds like my  high school English teacher who would also slash through any words she found that padded an essay.    We also had a long list of rules for every form of punctuation that we had to memorize and recite when asked to defend a punctuation mark.   The only rule I can recall is the last one on the list about commas: when no other rule applies, a comma is used to prevent misreading. 

I will say I was grateful for her viciousness when I got to college.  Writing essays in college was so much easier than it had been in high school.   She taught the advanced English classes, and I had her every year.

I was also grateful for her viciousness when I was in law school because I didn't freak out over the horrid hypotheticals that sent many other students to the bathroom to throw up from stress.

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm sure the Chicago teachers are thrilled to be supported by a moron too stupid to use capital letters or punctuation.  But maybe Woke Folx think that sort of thing is beneath them.  

Or spell check.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm sure the Chicago teachers are thrilled to be supported by a moron too stupid to use capital letters or punctuation.  But maybe Woke Folx think that sort of thing is beneath them.  

Exactly. While I appreciate the sentiment of her post and it’s all true, I’d be banging my head against a brick wall, if I was a teacher reading that uncapitalised mess. At least have the respect to try and use grammar, when posting a tribute to the very people that teach it! 🤯 I guess we should be grateful she managed not to include a narcissistic selfie with the tribute post. 

Edited by Sofa Sloth
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

Ah, that sounds like my  high school English teacher who would also slash through any words she found that padded an essay.    We also had a long list of rules for every form of punctuation that we had to memorize and recite when asked to defend a punctuation mark.   The only rule I can recall is the last one on the list about commas: when no other rule applies, a comma is used to prevent misreading. 

I will say I was grateful for her viciousness when I got to college.  Writing essays in college was so much easier than it had been in high school.   She taught the advanced English classes, and I had her every year.

I was also grateful for her viciousness when I was in law school because I didn't freak out over the horrid hypotheticals that sent many other students to the bathroom to throw up from stress.

Did we go to the same high school??  Because I had an English teacher who fit your description to a T.  We all cried bitter tears when she handed back work covered in red pen, but MAN was I grateful for everything I learned in her class once I got to college!

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

That Instagram post is load of pompous condescending drivel. This muppet up on her soapbox, sure rates herself highly for one who has done and seen so very little in this world yet - Mariah the queer messiah, speaking her all-knowing truth and educating uninformed plebs.

And what better picture to use alongside the serious topics of racism, equality and bigotry; then a narcissistic shot of Miss white-privilege-personified herself, in her $200+ Lululemon yoga gear, with her butt in the air, while everyone else is busy working and contributing to society?

Just another way for this narcissist to jump on a bandwagon and make it about her, gaining praise from sycophants by any means possible -  ‘Oh you’re so wise, oh you’re so flexible etc etc..’

This times 1,000,000,000!!!!!  Thank you, Sofa, this is it in a nutshell.  Now she is putting herself up as some kind of messiah and arbiter of justice to "heal" the rest of us lowly sweats not as all-wise and socially just as she is.  It just makes me want to vomit, seriously.

17 hours ago, Fosca said:

I'm a college professor teaching first- and second-year undergraduates, and I plan on grading her paper as soon as I finish all the papers I'm getting paid to grade.  From the first paragraph, I can tell it's gonna be ugly.

Oooooohhhh, I can hardly wait!  Don't spare the red pen!!

6 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Did we go to the same high school??  Because I had an English teacher who fit your description to a T.  We all cried bitter tears when she handed back work covered in red pen, but MAN was I grateful for everything I learned in her class once I got to college!

I think a lot of us had that teacher back in the day.  I never would have gotten through grad. school without her.  It was "tough love", though.  We had to buck up and learn to deal with red pen at an early age.  No safe green spaces encouraging mediocrity in our schools!  And in my case my mother, being the student of creative writing that she was, would never have allowed me to get away with it.

I'm an academic from way back and all of this lunacy with Mariah and what I hear is going on on college campuses these days really depresses me.  If this is the way things are going I fear for our future in this country. 🙁

• Love 13

There is a lot to be said about Restorative Justice- she didn't say it - to me her paper could be condensed to bullet points but she needs to clarify them.  She needs more than two references from one author.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

Exactly. While I appreciate the sentiment of her post and it’s all true, I’d be banging my head against a brick wall, if I was a teacher reading that uncapitalised mess. At least have the respect to try and use grammar, when posting a tribute to the very people that teach it! 🤯 I guess we should be grateful she managed not to include a narcissistic selfie with the tribute post. 

Hmm, what pose goes with a long-winded missive about a teacher's strike, of which Mariah is not taking part but knows someone who is, and therefore knows all about it?  Let's see....perhaps a nice down-dog with her fanny facing the camera? 

If anything comes across her social media with the word "justice" in it, Mariah's gonna take up for it whether she's involved or not.  I'm surprised she isn't picketing "Justice," the pre-teen clothing store, for misuse of her fave woke word.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

There is a lot to be said about Restorative Justice- she didn't say it - to me her paper could be condensed to bullet points but she needs to clarify them.  She needs more than two references from one author.  

For me to even believe her, she needs to start with herself and right her own wrongs. But, you know, restorative justice doesn’t apply to her. Just everyone else. 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

For me to even believe her, she needs to start with herself and right her own wrongs. But, you know, restorative justice doesn’t apply to her. Just everyone else. 

What has she done other than being a clueless twit?  I must be forgetting something big.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

What has she done other than being a clueless twit?  I must be forgetting something big.

She and Audrey made a stink about the “essential support animals” an airline would not allow her and Audrey to bring last year (the airline wanted to charge them). She made a huge deal over it, over how anxiety required them to have ESAs. They trashed the airline publicly. 

Here’s the thing: neither before nor after did we see either one of those two with a support animal. Not at events. Not at parades. Not at any of the kinds of places they claimed to need them. They just didn’t want to pay extra to fly their dogs and came up with a nice sad story which damaged an airline’s reputation. Anyone with an actual disability, PTSD or crippling anxiety went after them, including me. I have full time anxiety and autism, not just when it suits me. 

After the public uproar against them, Audrey left social media for a while. They still continued to cry victim. Then, it faded away. We still never see them with their anxiety-reducing, absolutely-must-have support animals. Their lying about it was low and offensive. 

Where I'm going with this is that one can’t be seen as a trustworthy torch-bearer for restorative justice and pull this kind of stuff. It’s not right  it’s dishonest. It alienated and offended people with actual anxiety and disabilities. It’s all the things she claims to stand against. 

Wonder if they’ll try to pull that shit again this year. 

ETA: I know Audrey has mental health issues and I wasn’t trying to diminish those, just that one either needs a service animal or one doesn’t. The faking of their pets as ESAs is what got everyone so angry. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Clarification
  • Love 19
On 10/21/2019 at 5:27 PM, Twopper said:

Well, be impressed as I just did it, and I am pushing 66 with no yoga training.  I do a lot of working out with weight machines, however, so there's that. 

Wow, y'all are good! I'm in my mid-fifties and can't even sit down or get up from a chair without grunting! Dabnabit...gonna have to borrow Sloth's hose and get you in-shape COL's off my lawn!!!  🤣  ☺  😁

Edited by Rabbit Hutch
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Sorry, but Amen to this.  A 5-page paper written in grad school should have more than 2 references, and from the same author at that. *shrugs* But what do I know, my wonderful, life-changing grad school experience was at a state school, and not at a prestigious, private one.  🤔🙄😏

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

She and Audrey made a stink about the “essential support animals” an airline would not allow her and Audrey to bring last year (the airline wanted to charge them). She made a huge deal over it, over how anxiety required them to have ESAs. They trashed the airline publicly. 

Here’s the thing: neither before nor after did we see either one of those two with a support animal. Not at events. Not at parades. Not at any of the kinds of places they claimed to need them. They just didn’t want to pay extra to fly their dogs and came up with a nice sad story which damaged an airline’s reputation. Anyone with an actual disability, PTSD or crippling anxiety went after them, including me. I have full time anxiety and autism, not just when it suits me. 

After the public uproar against them, Audrey left social media for a while. They still continued to cry victim. Then, it faded away. We still never see them with their anxiety-reducing, absolutely-must-have support animals. Their lying about it was low and offensive. 

Where I'm going with this is that one can’t be seen as a trustworthy torch-bearer for restorative justice and pull this kind of stuff. It’s not right  it’s dishonest. It alienated and offended people with actual anxiety and disabilities. It’s all the things she claims to stand against. 

Wonder if they’ll try to pull that shit again this year. 

To piggyback/add on to this  just after this social media shit fit...the airline that was involved (I forget which one...) changed their Emotional Support Animal policy within a few days. It just so happened that my husband was flying on the same airline at that time and he sent me the email showing the bright red "new policy" banner about flying with animals.

Also...I now see everywhere on the doors of businesses (even in my small town) about animals being allowed entry, so it must really be a thing these days.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 10/19/2019 at 9:05 PM, Sofa Sloth said:

Mariah’s latest paper on restorative justice is on her website for those who mentioned earlier they wanted to read it https://www.mariahlianbrown.com/justice

Has she been posting other papers for her "fans" to read?  I looked at the website, but I didn't see any others.  Her website is unimpressive.

I wish I could figure out what course she is taking.  I  looked at the Fall curriculum for the 2nd year of the program, and the only class that this paper fits is  an independent study. 

It would never have been 5 pages without all those blank spaces between the outline topic and her paragraphs.

Edited by Twopper
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Sorry, but Amen to this.  A 5-page paper written in grad school should have more than 2 references, and from the same author at that. *shrugs* But what do I know, my wonderful, life-changing grad school experience was at a state school, and not at a prestigious, private one.  🤔🙄😏

BUT your name is not Mariah Brown.  You know, she is very very busy doing inappropriate yoga poses in neighborhood gazebos and also single-handedly taking on any and all restorative justice issues in the greater Chicago area.  Two references?  You're lucky she used any references at all!  So just erase all that red ink from her grad paper, give her that "A+", and sprinkle rainbow glitter on the pages before handing them back to her.  Anything to get her out of your class.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Her paper was more of a reflection paper for the two books she referenced and definitely not written at a graduate level. But, I'm in a 400 level political science class and the majority of the traditional students can't write a college level paper to save their lives. 

Edited by Nysha
If I'm going to criticize someone else's writing, mine better be spot on.
  • Love 8
On 10/22/2019 at 11:31 AM, laurakaye said:

WAIT ONE MINUTE - red pencil is too "triggering" for snowflakes who haven't learned to take criticism of any kind?  And these are adults?  In college?

I'm about to take up permanent residence on my front porch, in a rocking chair, with an afghan, a cat, and a damn firehose with the best power-soaking attachment that money can buy.

It has been pretty crazy for a long time.  I used to advise students before I got into the event game.  It was appalling.  Many couldn't write out a petition to sub classes (simple sentences) so we had to do it out of frustration because they. could. not. get. it.  I had one student get a D in a class but her gpa was so low she needed a certain amount of grade points to graduate.  So the Prof never had to listen to her or her mother again, he raised it to a B so she could graduate.  This happened tons of times.  One missed a question on a final badly.  Their justification for getting credit?  All the letters were there, it was just wrong.  One told us, you know, the world is flat.  20 years before flat earthers were a thing.  We heard it all.  Glad I no longer advise students.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Roslyn said:

To piggyback/add on to this  just after this social media shit fit...the airline that was involved (I forget which one...) changed their Emotional Support Animal policy within a few days. It just so happened that my husband was flying on the same airline at that time and he sent me the email showing the bright red "new policy" banner about flying with animals.

Also...I now see everywhere on the doors of businesses (even in my small town) about animals being allowed entry, so it must really be a thing these days.

It’s a thing that’s very much taken advantage of. I have no issues with people bringing their beloved pets certain places with them. Most of us who have pets wouldn’t hesitate to call them “emotional support animals”. That doesn’t mean they should go everywhere or have the training to handle busy public places. 

When peoples’ pets suddenly become ESAs because anything else is an inconvenience to the owner, however, that’s a problem. If the airline caved because of the tantrum these two threw, it could come back and bite them (pun intended) when a “ESA” attacks another passenger (which has occurred). 

If one truly needs a service dog and the dog has gone through required training and passed, fine. Just don’t claim puppers is a ESA because it’s convenient when he’s left home any other time. 

Sorry guys. SludgePudge really got me mad in this case. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 12

When I worked for the Park Service, service animals were allowed but emotional support animals were not.  Made sense to me, since service animals tend to be trained to do a job.

And I got the "don't use red, it's too harsh" talk when teaching more than 20 years ago.  I switched to green for a while, realized that students would just start to hate green rather than hate red, and switched back for visibility as well.  Now I'm all about the red gel pens; they make such a lovely vivid thick red line over the wrong answers!

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, Fosca said:

When I worked for the Park Service, service animals were allowed but emotional support animals were not.  Made sense to me, since service animals tend to be trained to do a job.

And I got the "don't use red, it's too harsh" talk when teaching more than 20 years ago.  I switched to green for a while, realized that students would just start to hate green rather than hate red, and switched back for visibility as well.  Now I'm all about the red gel pens; they make such a lovely vivid thick red line over the wrong answers!

It's gel pens all the way for me.  I do my crossword puzzles in brightly-colored ink.  

I remember the ESA bullshit SludgePudge pulled, and I still get steamed thinking about it.  I love animals, I'm a crazy cat lady with only one spoiled kitty, and the fact that these two scammers used that phony excuse to save a few bucks, just sucks.  I believe  Pudge will never move beyond her Special Snowflake persona.  She has no sense of shame.

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, Fosca said:

I used to love red ink, as I could instantly see the mistake or correction, especially in really long papers with extensive footnotes.  I had one professor that used purple ink, and my 45 year-old eyes had a little bit of adjustment trying to find my errors quickly.  Purple or green ink was popular for corrections at my school.

• Love 5

I was an English/writing major and I was all, bring on the red ink!  Give me the criticism so I can become a better writer!  What does it say about today's snowflakes that rather than see the red ink as helpful, they see it as "wahhhhhhh stop picking on me, you big meanie professor, you hurted my feelingssssssssssss."

And with that statement, as if there was any doubt, I have officially become a proud, hose-carrying COL.

• Love 17

So "support all queer folx" no matter what?  If they are a queer murderer or embezzler or racist, you need to support them just because they are queer?  And cis-ters cannot be sisters?  You only have an affinity for queer women, so cis-gender women are, what, trash and unlovable?

She live so far outside of reality, it's pitiable.  Almost.

To steal a line from an Eagles song (Get Over It) "I'd like to find your inner child and kick it's little ass".

• Love 20

I suspect what she's talking about is the tendency for women-only spaces (queer and straight both) to often not be welcoming to male-to-female transgender women and only allow cis-gender women-born-women. There's quite a debate about this.  Mariah appears to be on the "whether cis or trans, women are women" side.  Hence this message that "sisters" should include more than just "cis-ters". 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

2 pictures:

I. Don’t. Believe. Her. This is simply today’s topic to make it appear she cares about anything other than one of those dogs spilling her coffee. She’ll forget about this by tomorrow. 

One day it’s bees, one day it’s this. It’s whatever is on the political forefront. She’s no Princess Diana. 

• Love 14
On 10/24/2019 at 2:32 PM, laurakaye said:

I was an English/writing major and I was all, bring on the red ink!  Give me the criticism so I can become a better writer!  What does it say about today's snowflakes that rather than see the red ink as helpful, they see it as "wahhhhhhh stop picking on me, you big meanie professor, you hurted my feelingssssssssssss."

And with that statement, as if there was any doubt, I have officially become a proud, hose-carrying COL.

Oh, I love you guys!! You're not about the coddling that is being pushed these days and I looooove that.   But, what is COL? 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

Oh, I love you guys!! You're not about the coddling that is being pushed these days and I looooove that.

Clueless Old Ladies brook no nonsense.  We don't tolerate this kind of crap silently either.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
On 10/25/2019 at 6:26 PM, TurtlePower said:

I. Don’t. Believe. Her. This is simply today’s topic to make it appear she cares about anything other than one of those dogs spilling her coffee. She’ll forget about this by tomorrow. 

One day it’s bees, one day it’s this. It’s whatever is on the political forefront. She’s no Princess Diana. 

I'd still prefer she posts 50 times about this kind of thing rather than stupid pictures of her breakfast.  Whether or not it's a lasting interest, she's at least bringing up something she thinks is important, asking people their opinions on this topic, admitting her early education was sorely lacking, and asking others what topics are important to them.  Actually a pretty well crafted post (ignoring the lack of basic English skills of course).  Even if she's "trying on" causes, there is at least a chance one will stick,

• Love 8
5 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I'd still prefer she posts 50 times about this kind of thing rather than stupid pictures of her breakfast.  Whether or not it's a lasting interest, she's at least bringing up something she thinks is important, asking people their opinions on this topic, admitting her early education was sorely lacking, and asking others what topics are important to them.  Actually a pretty well crafted post (ignoring the lack of basic English skills of course).  Even if she's "trying on" causes, there is at least a chance one will stick,

They will all stick for 5 minutes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'd rather see her post a picture of her doggos running happily in a dog park than seeing them both looking up at her, chained to their leashes, while she crafts the perfect photo of the two of them, making sure her ever-present coffee cup is in the photo.

Not sure what the photo of her bare toes standing on the grass rather than the sidewalk has to do with the Yazidis, but I suppose I'm missing the deep, woke point she is trying to make.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7