Type keyword(s) to search

Leon Brown: So Here's Me

Pallas
Message added by Scarlett45,

Leon is transgender and uses they/them pronouns. As defined in the GLAAD guidelines, they are a they, were a they, and will be a they unless they ever tell us something different.  Per those guidelines, referring to them as a woman or a girl or as she is not okay, regardless of any modifier placed before these words or the time period being discussed.  Referring to them by any name besides "Leon" or "Leo" is not appropriate, regardless of the time period being discussed. Intent matters and people may slip up. Let's strive to respect their identity.

Please review the guidelines of the site regarding the Hate Speech and Insensitive Language Policy, which includes guidelines from GLAAD for the LGBTQ+ community.

Also remember the Golden Rule of Primetimer is Be Civil.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

I know 😔 the cards are fully stacked against her, but I’m still rooting for her to have an epiphany one day and gain even an ounce of self awareness, maybe when the audience is long gone and she’s working a 9-5, perhaps experienced a few breakups and hardships in life that help one gain perspective...

I would never defend her, she’s never been my favourite and as a personality, she’s thoroughly unlikable to me (and I’m not imagining that will change). I’m guess I’m hoping even just a tiny bit of that smug pompousness and me-me-me  in her posts is still youth and will fade. I know personally I’m glad there was little social media when I was 22, god only knows what horrors I would have posted! 😆 

I'm not a yoga expert but I've taken enough classes to know that what she's doing is your basic vinyasa. 

Is she actually going to grad school?

• Love 6
1 minute ago, VegasVixen said:

It's almost like she really wants to be different so she has to keep talking about her queerness....look honey, all of us are different, that's the beauty of this planet. You're not special because you're gay, there's are boatloads of gay people. My daughter is gay but she doesn't go around constantly gloating about it.  Get over yourself. UGH. That whole "a part so deeply me & so queer" is gag-worthy and she uses that word entirely way too much. Excuse my bad grammar, I suck at it!  

Mine too, I find Mariah's "queernis" is just for public consumption. My DD has an amazing career and 3 lovely children. She would never ever with the "white sneakers" or rainbow whatever... she is living her authentic life as a lawyer and police captain in a major CA city.  Mariah makes me just want to scream with all her "I am so special...yada yada..no one knows what we go through... give me AFB...she. makes me stabby and the first one I would stab is her!

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I'm not a yoga expert but I've taken enough classes to know that what she's doing is your basic vinyasa. 

But but.. she trained in Bali! She’s a professional yoga instructor I tell ya! Look at her website here, where she is available for hire for private lessons, I kid you not. Anyone in Chicago want to try her out? 😆 

https://www.mariahlianbrown.com/yoga

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Sofa Sloth said:

But but.. she trained in Bali! She’s a professional yoga instructor I tell ya! Look at her website here, where she is available for hire for private lessons, I kid you not. Anyone in Chicago want to try her out? 😆 

https://www.mariahlianbrown.com/yoga

Oh man if I lived in Chicago I would so do this! Someone please, take one for the team! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I find Mariah's "queernis" is just for public consumption.

Absolutely.  People that have to keep posting that they are queer or quirky or artsy or fashionistas are usually, well, not.  If you have to keep proclaiming it to the world then I think you have your own doubts but need to keep pounding it home to try and convert people into believers.

Fast forward ten years and let's see if this was just a passing phase to be different from the herd of Brown spawn.  A lot of youngster try out different lifestyles and then abandon them when they reach maturity. 

Not that Princess Pudge ever will reach maturity..  I think she's a hopeless narcissist and is immune to it.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

If you have to keep proclaiming it to the world then I think you have your own doubts but need to keep pounding it home to try and convert people into believers.

Agree that this aspect is so bizarre. It’s like she is overcompensating by referencing it constantly to convince herself she really is. The gay friends I know, whilst proud and outwardly gay, would never think to constantly refer to it and publicly remind people, it’s just a part of who they inherently are and therefore everyone around is aware. They live it, so they don’t NEED to go around talking about living it. 

I actually believe it isn’t a phase, but think she most definitely uses it to her special snowflake advantage. Her overkill on the subject is probably partly about overcoming her religious conservative upbringing - bending over backwards to distance herself from that, while also using it as a platform to stand out from her siblings for the attention it brings, which brings me to the main reason which is of course your excellent description here! -

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I think she's a hopeless narcissist

And we all know she’d be that no matter what her sexuality was. 

• Love 13
(edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 4:59 PM, ginger90 said:

Those are not the most flattering tights, Mariah. 

Maybe it's because of where I live but there are very few business (including my own employer with almost 12,000 employees globally) who AREN’T celebrating Pride Month.  I was at Trader Joes, Nordstrom, and Sephora yesterday and they ALL had the rainbow Pride going on. Even the bakery at safeway was selling Pride Cookies!! 

I’m sure that Chicago has a large gay population but Mariah should visit the Castro here in SF. My LBGTQ buddy Earl, for one, would tell her to GET OVER HERSELF ALREADY (on his own he has raised well over $100k for AIDS Lifecycle and Cycle for Survival over the 8 years I've known him...I doubt Mariah has even given a dollar to any charity). 

I will be proudly marching with my employer's group at the SF Pride Parade next weekend. Because it's fun and everyone is so happy, NOT to crow about it on social media 🙄

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 15
(edited)
24 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

She has a free 30 minute phone consultation to start. Then........

AE36C9AC-B6BF-4CAD-A3B8-24F06F27E83A.png

You've gotta be fucking kidding me. As far as I know she has not taught a single yoga class, she's not affiliated with any fitness organization - she's been doing yoga for maybe a year.

I think it's safe to say that grad school is taking a back seat. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9
32 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

You've gotta be fucking kidding me. As far as I know she has not taught a single yoga class, she's not affiliated with any fitness organization - she's been doing yoga for maybe a year.

She's probably going this route because it's beneath her to try and work at a studio or gym (or, more realistically, it's because she doesn't have the experience--and personality--to be hired by a studio). 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

Well, a lot of people have been wondering if she or Audrey have jobs or do anything to pull their own weight and complaining that she seems to be a deadbeat. Looks like she’s trying. I guess she just can’t win. Working and school are not mutually exclusive, or perhaps she is on summer break like a million other students. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Well, a lot of people have been wondering if she or Audrey have jobs or do anything to pull their own weight and complaining that she seems to be a deadbeat. Looks like she’s trying. I guess she just can’t win. Working and school are not mutually exclusive, or perhaps she is on summer break like a million other students. 

Yeah, I have to give her credit for trying. And her prices are right in line with the prices in Connecticut for a private lesson.

• Love 5
(edited)
41 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

She's probably going this route because it's beneath her to try and work at a studio or gym (or, more realistically, it's because she doesn't have the experience--and personality--to be hired by a studio). 

There are several Equinox clubs in the Chicago area. She doesn't have the certifications or experience where they would even consider her as a sub. 

If she was REALLY serious about teaching she would be investing time and money in networking and finding a mentor. I was only a GXI as a side gig, but I went to conventions, events, trainings...I had some great mentors that I am still friends with today. 

Next weekend is the biggest fitness convention of the year - the IDEAfit in Anaheim.  Most of the best and brightest fitness folks will be there. If I was her, I'd do my best to be there and introduce myself to as many of them as possible. If she can afford to pay $30+ for a 45 minute Soul Cycle class then she can go to IDEAfit.

It's one thing to have an online personality (such as hers is) but what is REALLY essential in being a great instructor is to be welcoming, kind, a people person, and inclusive. I don't think she has ANY of those qualities. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 6

Maybe I am being picky, but wouldn't private lessons be for 1 person?   I would think 2-5 people would be a group lesson. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

There are several Equinox clubs in the Chicago area. She doesn't have the certifications or experience where they would even consider her as a sub. 

If she was REALLY serious about teaching she would be investing time and money in networking and finding a mentor. I was only a GXI as a side gig, but I went to conventions, events, trainings...I had some great mentors that I am still friends with today. 

It's one thing to have an online personality (such as hers is) but what is REALLY essential in being a great instructor is to be welcoming, kind, a people person, and inclusive. I don't think she has ANY of those qualities. 

That is exactly why I would do this, so I could find out for myself and report back!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Maybe I am being picky, but wouldn't private lessons be for 1 person?   I would think 2-5 people would be a group lesson. 

Semi-private. We had personal trainers who would train couples, some people prefer training with their significant other.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Next weekend is the biggest fitness convention of the year - the IDEAfit in Anaheim.  Most of the best and brightest fitness folks will be there.

And she could make a stop at Disneyland and see her mother!!!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I doubt Mariah has even given a dollar to any charity). 

Pudge is all about Pudge, the center of the entire universe. It would never occur to her to do anything that would benefit anyone else.  Just like the rest of her grifting family.

4 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I still maintain she wasn't really going to school full time.  She might be taking a class or two but she posts all kinds of activities that are not school related so when does she have time?  "Professional student"  - stretch this out for years with mom paying or loan upon loan.

3 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Looks like she’s trying. I guess she just can’t win. Working and school are not mutually exclusive, or perhaps she is on summer break like a million other students. 

I think that's fine except that she's advertising herself as a professional which she certainly is not.  One class in Bali does not a yogi make - it's false advertising in my book.  All though her sycophants might sign up in droves.  Whilst wearing white shoes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
(edited)
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I think that's fine except that she's advertising herself as a professional which she certainly is not.  One class in Bali does not a yogi make - it's false advertising in my book.  All though her sycophants might sign up in droves.  Whilst wearing white shoes.

This 👏🏼

If you want to be taken seriously in a career path, then go through the proper channels and gain the correct valid qualifications before declaring yourself a professional. Seems she’s putting in minimum effort and relying on her 5 minutes of fame to get her there. Unfair for those who genuinely work hard and pay their dues to be instructors. I will respect her when it’s clear she’s chosen a solid career path and is quietly working hard for it like Logan, but it seems she’s just floundering around trying out everything and putting her finger in every money making pie - influencing, yoga instructing, being a cook and a ‘wellness blogger’... that’s the example that’s been set for her growing up though, so I can’t even blame her. 

Edited by Sofa Sloth
Proof reading
  • Love 10
45 minutes ago, Sofa Sloth said:

This 👏🏼

If you want to be taken seriously in a career path, then go through the proper channels and gain the correct valid qualifications before declaring yourself a professional. Seems she’s putting in minimum effort and relying on her 5 minutes of fame to get her there. Unfair for those who genuinely work hard and pay their dues to be instructors. 

I'm confused.  Are we talking about Mariah or Janelle? LOL.

• LOL 11
On 6/22/2019 at 12:35 AM, Gramto6 said:

Mine too, I find Mariah's "queernis" is just for public consumption. My DD has an amazing career and 3 lovely children. She would never ever with the "white sneakers" or rainbow whatever... she is living her authentic life as a lawyer and police captain in a major CA city.  Mariah makes me just want to scream with all her "I am so special...yada yada..no one knows what we go through... give me AFB...she. makes me stabby and the first one I would stab is her!

Please use an axe!!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Here’s a story from Instagram. Listening to her, she sounds out of breath. The story won’t be up much longer, so I included pics of what she was out of breath about.

If anyone isn’t familiar with it, the “slides” advance themselves. Some are videos.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/mariahbrwn/?hl=en

9A253434-B539-4B7F-9C04-F27E2A9CCFF3.jpeg

BD642040-2292-4386-9D53-48000D982550.jpeg

I can't see the story as I dont have IG, but I just can't hate on her for this. Donation-based yoga classes help break the stereotype that yoga is only for well-to-do types that squeeze a session in between manicures and massages. I say good for her.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I can't see the story as I dont have IG, but I just can't hate on her for this. Donation-based yoga classes help break the stereotype that yoga is only for well-to-do types that squeeze a session in between manicures and massages. I say good for her.

Is that actually still a stereotype? There are scads of low cost and free ways of doing yoga. Just check YouTube.  

"Donation" is just another way of saying "tip".  She has no experience teaching a class, so no one will hire her. 

• Love 11
32 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Is that actually still a stereotype? There are scads of low cost and free ways of doing yoga. Just check YouTube.  

"Donation" is just another way of saying "tip".  She has no experience teaching a class, so no one will hire her. 

Even my little town has several yoga teachers and this is rural town full of retirees with fixed incomes.  Even those who can't afford it find other ways like YouTube but the rates here are very affordable and tons of us go. Trust me, there is no stereotypes about only the rich doing yoga.

Her ad make her sound oh so altruistic and we certainly know that is not the case.  A few weeks in Bali does not make her an instructor by any stretch of the imagination.  I bet no real studio would take her and once she finds out nobody but her ass-kissers on social media show up (and throw a dollar in the jar), she'll move on to something else.

• Love 8
(edited)

36 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Even my little town has several yoga teachers and this is rural town full of retirees with fixed incomes.  Even those who can't afford it find other ways like YouTube but the rates here are very affordable and tons of us go. Trust me, there is no stereotypes about only the rich doing yoga.

Her ad make her sound oh so altruistic and we certainly know that is not the case.  A few weeks in Bali does not make her an instructor by any stretch of the imagination.  I bet no real studio would take her and once she finds out nobody but her ass-kissers on social media show up (and throw a dollar in the jar), she'll move on to something else.

Free and donation-based yoga classes have sprung up all over the country because there are people in the world who want to provide the service and bust the image that yoga is just something "rich" people do - a stereotype that indeed existed and still exists in the minds of some, including those that worry that free or donation-based classes might "cheapen" yoga as a practice and career path. A cursory Google search provides plenty of examples on both sides of the fence. 

If Mariah wants to pursue yoga as a potential career path, or just teach because she has a passion for it, I see nothing at all wrong there, and again I say good for her. 

As far as experience, you have to start somewhere. Getting hired at a luxury chain gym is not the only way to go, and may not be the career path to which Mariah aspires.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 11
(edited)

It does appear commendable at first glance, that she is doing something even somewhat charitable. The problem for me is her ego and motive here. If she’s not an actual yoga teacher and lacks any experience , it’s super egotistical and misleading to claim she is. 

If it is just an avenue for her to get bodies on mats and teaching experience as she isn’t a teacher, then why even ask for any money? She could properly volunteer and make it a free charitable experience.

That said, the donation part in theory is fine, IF she actually is a qualified teacher.   If that were the case (as Meri brags about), then it appears she is being ‘inclusive’ to those financially disadvantaged that can’t afford gym classes, but what about after the donation sessions end? Is she going to try to get them hooked and then proposition them to join up for full priced private sessions they can’t afford after that?

Sorry, I’m a cynical old-soul lady and she’s a Brown so I question her intentions. 

Edited by Sofa Sloth
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Free and donation-based yoga classes have sprung up all over the country because there are people in the world who want to provide the service and bust the image that yoga is just something "rich" people do - a stereotype that indeed existed and still exists in the minds of some, including those that worry that free or donation-based classes might "cheapen" yoga as a practice and career path. A cursory Google search provides plenty of examples on both sides of the fence. 

If Mariah wants to pursue yoga as a potential career path, or just teach because she has a passion for it, I see nothing at all wrong there, and again I say good for her. 

As far as experience, you have to start somewhere. Getting hired at a luxury chain gym is not the only way to go, and may not be the career path to which Mariah aspires.

I'm skeptical of how much she has a true "passion" for yoga and the lifestyle. She talks about trees and life and bees. She talks about love and gratefulness and appreciation, yet she has been caught speaking untruths in order to make herself look better (and quickly deletes anyone who calls her out). 

If she were treating yoga simply as a fitness activity, fine, but she spews this happiness/gratefulness BS one second and is lying the next. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Does she have liability insurance for when one of her clients falls and breaks something?

That is an excellent question. A few years ago I was considering a career change, and thought about becoming a massage therapist. There were two things that kept me from pursuing that line of work: One, unless you work at a high-paying spa or develop a reputation and can charge a high rate, the pay was basically what I was making at my then current job; and two, unless you work for a business that insures their employees, you have to get your own liability insurance. Besides the expense, the thought of actually hurting someone or being accused of hurting someone scared me, and I determined it was not worth having to deal with stuff like that!

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

f she were treating yoga simply as a fitness activity, fine, but she spews this happiness/gratefulness BS one second and is lying the next. 

This. And her passions ebb and flow depending on the money.  Like touting a juice that she's probably never had a sip of.  

As for the certificate, I can make one up exactly like that on my computer.  How many people actually check on the veracity of those things?  Bet she puts it in a big fancy frame.

1 hour ago, Sofa Sloth said:

If it is just an avenue for her to get bodies on mats and teaching experience as she isn’t a teacher, then why even ask for any money? She could properly volunteer and make it a free charitable experience.

Exactly.  But we already know that something for nothing is not in the Brown Clown Book of Business unless you count bankruptcies.

This too shall pass.  She'll move onto some other way to shill people once she finds out she won't be raking in the big bucks.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

This. And her passions ebb and flow depending on the money.  Like touting a juice that she's probably never had a sip of.  

As for the certificate, I can make one up exactly like that on my computer.  How many people actually check on the veracity of those things?  Bet she puts it in a big fancy frame.

Exactly.  But we already know that something for nothing is not in the Brown Clown Book of Business unless you count bankruptcies.

This too shall pass.  She'll move onto some other way to shill people once she finds out she won't be raking in the big bucks.

So now she made up a certificate just to post on social media? Wow. She can't win. Does the work, puts in 200 hours of training to pursue something she has a passion for, but she's still crapped on. Unbelievable.

Life is too short to wallow in such negativity.

• Love 7
(edited)

While I have great reservations about Mariah as a person, I do not doubt her commitment to yoga. She has a beautiful form in the positions  that I have seen from her posts. She is as good as the yoga instructors I go to.

Edited by neh
Spell check.... Ugh
  • Love 6
(edited)

I’m happy to see she has a qualification and is a genuine teacher. Assuming she has good motives with these attendees of the community classes and isn’t only just trying to hook them for business, then good for her. I can’t snark on her for that if she’s passionate about it, as it does seem like a nice initiative. Still don’t like her personality though or care for her driveling posts. I know nothing of yoga, so I would defer to others on whether she’s any good at it. I guess it’s irrelevant to me anyway, as I’m not attending her classes (unless of course she is available for private lessons at the next Sister Wives Primetimer Convention? Shall we hold in Chicago? 😉)

Edited by Sofa Sloth
Grammar
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

I hope it's a valid certification.  200 hours seems like a very beginning level, but I've read so much about bogus yoga teacher certifications that I'm cautious.  Go to yoga classes for a year and a couple of weeks in Bali and voila, she's a yoga instructor?

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I hope it's a valid certification.  200 hours seems like a very beginning level, but I've read so much about bogus yoga teacher certifications that I'm cautious.  Go to yoga classes for a year and a couple of weeks in Bali and voila, she's a yoga instructor?

Fairly certain this is the course she did as she said she stayed here at this resort and the photos and location look similar (not sure if link will work)

https://sacredpathsyoga.com/yoga-teacher-training/bali/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxrzoBRBBEiwAbtX1n_3OeGM8jtX-juOG1F3afn0_5w1WORPk6lsZ0D1y0OG5Ro6cYssizxoCApoQAvD_BwE

• Love 2

Seriously? $5000 for a month? Plus airfare? When I was in grad school, I didn’t have $5 that wasn’t accounted for. And again, I wonder how much TLC pays her to be mad at her mom and cry on camera.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

So now she made up a certificate just to post on social media? Wow. She can't win. Does the work, puts in 200 hours of training to pursue something she has a passion for, but she's still crapped on. Unbelievable.

Life is too short to wallow in such negativity.

I agree.  Mariah does so many other snark-worthy things in her life that we really shouldn't be running her down for achieving something.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, lindalouwho said:

Seriously? $5000 for a month? Plus airfare? When I was in grad school, I didn’t have $5 that wasn’t accounted for. And again, I wonder how much TLC pays her to be mad at her mom and cry on camera.

I know right? on top of the $5000 tuition and accommodation add the airfare costs then add all the costs below the website state also apply (plus all her continuous living costs back at home), this is one expensive special snowflake certification/vacation:-

-Other Costs-

Ground transportation to Dragonfly Village

Required Texts

Optional day off activities

Temple Visits and Cultural Activities

Beach exploration and surfing

Shopping in Ubud’s cultural centers

Waterfall Trips or River Rafting

Massage and Spa Days

Much more

• Love 3
7 hours ago, lindalouwho said:

I seriously doubt TLC pays her that much.  Not sure if student loans will pay for her latest flavor-of-the-month "calling" AKA expensive, exotic vacation.  Probably has fifteen credit cards, all maxed out making minimum payments with her influencer money.  Avocado toast doesn't come cheap.

• Love 3
(edited)

It takes more than going through training, and more than getting certified, to be an instructor or teacher. 

Literally thousands of people a year go through yoga training just like thousands go through training to teach spin class or Body Pump or Zumba etc. They pay the money, do the training, and get a paper that says you're qualified. 

But they aren't really instructors unless they have the ability to interact and connect and entertain with empathy, clarity, and heart to all sorts of people. People she might not normally give the time of day.  People with real disabilities, or mental issues. 

It's not just getting in front of people and doing vinyasa and expecting them to follow along. Just like how teaching a cycling class isn't just turning on music and yelling at people. 

It's being in the studio before class to meet participants, especially the first timers. 

It's finding out if anyone is injured, disabled, or otherwise hindered from doing the class and demonstrating modifications. 

For yoga instructors in particular it's walking around the room and gently correcting form, readjusting a hip or misaligned shoulder.

It's knowing what to do if someone gets injured during your class. 

It's hours and days of continuing training, studying, improving, practicing, learning. Being willing to accept criticism and learn from it. 

Is Mariah a people person? Will she have the ability to accept criticism from others and learn from it? Can she actually be someone she's never proven to be - someone with compassion and willingness to bend and learn and be warm and welcoming to all?  

Most of all, is Mariah able to spend an hour of her life NOT feeling it's ALL ABOUT HER? Being an instructor means knowing the class isn't there for her - she's there for the class.  

It's not the same as being an Instagram influencer and posting selfies of yourself and the 5 people you actually give a tenth of a shit about. 

I'm not even going to get into the fact that there are a lot more certified yoga instructors than there are teaching positions. Participants tend to show who they like and don't like by letting the clubs know, mostly by not showing up. When I was an instructor, if you consistently averaged less than 10 participants per class, you ended up on the sub list (and out) pretty quickly. 

Guess we'll wait and see if she can do a 180 and become a real people person.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 5
  • Love 16
52 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I seriously doubt TLC pays her that much.  Not sure if student loans will pay for her latest flavor-of-the-month "calling" AKA expensive, exotic vacation.  Probably has fifteen credit cards, all maxed out making minimum payments with her influencer money.  Avocado toast doesn't come cheap.

Possibly still leveraging the guilt trip on Mother Money Meri.  Baby wants Bali?  I'll just get my ass in gear and sell more LLRags to cover it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Possibly still leveraging the guilt trip on Mother Money Meri.  Baby wants Bali?  I'll just get my ass in gear and sell more LLRags to cover it.

I think she's just using her student loan $$ to pay for it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

It takes more than going through training, and more than getting certified, to be an instructor or teacher. 

Literally thousands of people a year go through yoga training just like thousands go through training to teach spin class or Body Pump or Zumba etc. They pay the money, do the training, and get a paper that says you're qualified. 

But they aren't really instructors unless they have the ability to interact and connect and entertain with empathy, clarity, and heart to all sorts of people. People she might not normally give the time of day.  People with real disabilities, or mental issues. 

It's not just getting in front of people and doing vinyasa and expecting them to follow along. Just like how teaching a cycling class isn't just turning on music and yelling at people. 

It's being in the studio before class to meet participants, especially the first timers. 

It's finding out if anyone is injured, disabled, or otherwise hindered from doing the class and demonstrating modifications. 

For yoga instructors in particular it's walking around the room and gently correcting form, readjusting a hip or misaligned shoulder.

It's hours and days of continuing training, studying, improving, practicing, learning. Being willing to accept criticism and learn from it. 

Is Mariah a people person? Will she have the ability to accept criticism from others and learn from it? Can she actually be someone she's never proven to be - someone with compassion and willingness to bend and learn and be warm and welcoming to all?  

Most of all, is Mariah able to spend an hour of her life NOT feeling it's ALL ABOUT HER? Being an instructor means knowing the class isn't there for her - she's there for the class.  

It's not the same as being an Instagram influencer and posting selfies of yourself and the 5 people you actually give a tenth of a shit about. 

I'm not even going to get into the fact that there are a lot more certified yoga instructors than there are teaching positions. Participants tend to show who they like and don't like by letting the clubs know, mostly by not showing up. When I was an instructor, if you consistently averaged less than 10 participants per class, you ended up on the sub list (and out) pretty quickly. 

Exactly! It’s like many professions. Book learning is one thing, and someone could be excellent at testing. Put that knowledge into teaching, and it’s another ballgame. 

It’s not easy to be able to train someone else. I detest training at my job, detest it I tell you! 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

She's out there trying. Time will tell whether she becomes a good teacher or not.

• Love 12