Type keyword(s) to search

Leon Brown: So Here's Me

Pallas
Message added by Scarlett45,

Leon is transgender and uses they/them pronouns. As defined in the GLAAD guidelines, they are a they, were a they, and will be a they unless they ever tell us something different.  Per those guidelines, referring to them as a woman or a girl or as she is not okay, regardless of any modifier placed before these words or the time period being discussed.  Referring to them by any name besides "Leon" or "Leo" is not appropriate, regardless of the time period being discussed. Intent matters and people may slip up. Let's strive to respect their identity.

Please review the guidelines of the site regarding the Hate Speech and Insensitive Language Policy, which includes guidelines from GLAAD for the LGBTQ+ community.

Also remember the Golden Rule of Primetimer is Be Civil.

• Start Topic

This probably explains (in part) the years of acting-out and bratty behavior. It must have been difficult figuring out her identity in that circus atmosphere, in that religion and with those parents. It may also explain why she was on board with being in a polygamous marriage for a while; if she felt little or no attraction to men she could have little contact with one in a plyg marriage. Getting away from the family was the best thing for her. Did I hear Christine right just before the announcement? Was she hoping that Mariah was coming back to UNLV? Let them go, folks, let them go.

• Love 10

The more I think about Meriah's reaction to the catfish, the more I feel for her.

Besides watching her mother lie and cheat on her father - who Meriah also figured out is a misogynistic asshole narcissist - she needed some support with coming out in a culture where being gay means being an outsider (not sure about AUB, but LDS requires gay members to be single and chaste, which means no family, which means you are pretty much pitied and excluded from a family based culture/religion).

meri needed her mother, but her mother was more concerned with sneaking around with a person she had been told was a scam artist. 

• Love 9

Was I the only one that thought perhaps Mariah had spoken already to Christine's mom about this?  As the grandmother was peeking over the stairs with a smile and her huge smile after Mariah gave the news felt to me that she knew and had supported Mariah in this reveal.  

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Was I the only one that thought perhaps Mariah had spoken already to Christine's mom about this?  As the grandmother was peeking over the stairs with a smile and her huge smile after Mariah gave the news felt to me that she knew and had supported Mariah in this reveal.  

I noticed that too.  Grandma was smiling...it was a bit odd.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I think Mariah confided in Annie before anyone else. She probably respects Annie a great deal for having the nerve to leave polygamy...when there are risks & consequences associated with that.  Not having any support...losing contact with family etc.

I think Mariah thought of Annie as her "safe place" before the announcement  & the producers must have known that as well

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 9
36 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Imagine the potential spin-off show.  Mariah - the ONE Brown kid who wanted to live polygamy . . . with her sisterWIVES . . . but no husband.

Ratings gold, I'm telling ya!

I have a feeling she'd become the female version of Kody. 

• Love 3

http://people.com/tv/sister-wives-star-mariah-brown-reveals-she-became-a-homophobe-to-compensate-conflicted-feelings-being-gay/?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag&xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

I was cruising the twitter feed at CJs blog and this people magazine article is all through it.  Mariah speaks a little more about her coming to accept her sexuality.  It may be also why she has always been the child who threw herself into religious studies more than the others.

• Love 1

Didn't she get this magazine feature before Mykelti and Mr. Home Equity Loan?(Not counting the online photo posted by US right after. An actual feature article.)

If that's true and I didn't miss larger coverage somewhere, that tickles me far more than it should.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Roslyn said:

http://people.com/tv/sister-wives-star-mariah-brown-reveals-she-became-a-homophobe-to-compensate-conflicted-feelings-being-gay/?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag&xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

I was cruising the twitter feed at CJs blog and this people magazine article is all through it.  Mariah speaks a little more about her coming to accept her sexuality.  It may be also why she has always been the child who threw herself into religious studies more than the others.

Ok so now we know why she HAD to go to (an exteremly expensive out of state private) Westminster College. Meri just wanted to eat up the budget and lay claims to a really expensive school. 

Gags me that ROBYN gets the quote at the end. She actually comes off to me as the one who would be least tolerant, just to wedge Meri and her kid farther from Kody. How could she *clutches pearls* allow her innocent snowflake daughters around the horrible influence of a Homasexshul! But she always inserts herself as the family authority. That's one Stealth Bitch.

• Love 6

Does anyone else get the impressio

Spoiler

n that these young women learned a few skills at their mother's knees? 

Obviously, if you're gay, you're gay and sorry,folks, I can't like this one even if the liberal heart in me wants to just cus that's how I do. 

An asshole is an asshole...gay or straight..lol

Back to my question... I'm  seeing some duggar-level games going on here with the offspring. Maddie announces engagement...Mykelti rides in on a proposal in an attempt to steal Maddies thunder or perhaps eke out some attention. 

Then Maddies pregnant. 

Boom back to Maddie!

Now Mariah comes barreling out of the closet with a People story... where they refer to her as a "star".

Checkmate pregnancy AND wedding!

My question is: is this production driven or are these girls just like their mothers in trying to be top dog of the cuddlesac?

Aurora and the way she acts is starting to make a lot more sense to me now...her mom is the stealth ninja bitch to beat all and she's spent formative years watching all these females act like this for attention or their time in the sun. 

Edited by MarysWetBar
Ignore the spoiler tag... not sure how the hell that happened. I'm always using my phone on here.
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Unless Robyn gets jealous and squashes her, Aurora's going to blow the rest of the out of the water with her Stealth Bitchiness. If it ticks off Robyn, I even think Christine will help Aurora just to spite Robyn. 

Robyn let Aspyn move in with her --- not quite sure why there was discord between the girl and her mother.  Christine will get even.

• Love 2

I think Robyn plays young hip confidante to the older girls and then rats them out to Kody or lets nuggets of wisdom drop in front of the mothers as a powerplay.

She's tired of blowing him so she had to course-correct her strategy to stay on top

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 4
On 1/4/2017 at 7:29 AM, Roslyn said:

A lot of people do this. I also think it would be easy to be confused about polygamy if you're gay and you were raised in it. It's a way to have deep intimacy with other women. When you're young the first things you notice might not be purely sexual, they might be who you want to be emotionally close to. I can imagine for an unsure gay girl, polygamy and deep, pseudo-romantic closeness with sister wives would sound better than to a straight girl, who can't imagine wanting that with anyone but a man. 

A lot of initial gay relationships grow out of friendships. I'm just thinking of how confused I'd be if I was told polygamy was all about deep forever closeness with women and I was having feelings about wanting to be really close with women. It would be so, so confusing! 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 11
On 1/2/2017 at 0:37 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

You go, Mariah! I hope your parents figure out quickly how to give you love and support in your life. Sending you best wishes!

I feel for Mariah.  Tortured soul as she is.  SO against the tenets of their religion.  No wonder she was rebellious, caustic,and awful.  

• Love 1
On 1/3/2017 at 5:01 PM, Natalie68 said:

Felt the exact same way while watching. She's not a part of their fundy Mormon sect anymore, so she's probably easier to talk to with that kind of thing. 

• Love 2
On 1/4/2017 at 8:14 PM, CofCinci said:

Robyn let Aspyn move in with her --- not quite sure why there was discord between the girl and her mother.  Christine will get even.

On 1/4/2017 at 8:35 PM, MarysWetBar said:

I think Robyn plays young hip confidante to the older girls and then rats them out to Kody or lets nuggets of wisdom drop in front of the mothers as a powerplay.

She's tired of blowing him so she had to course-correct her strategy to stay on top

Neither mom was anything but self serving with those moves. Christine and Robyn both grew up in this and know how the game works. Robyn is just better at manipulating the situation. I don't think Christine wants to play the game, but Robyn has no scruples. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Neither mom was anything but self serving with those moves. Christine and Robyn both grew up in this and know how the game works. Robyn is just better at manipulating the situation. I don't think Christine wants to play the game, but Robyn has no scruples. 

I think Christine thinks she's good at playing the games but really isn't. 

• Love 3
On 1/3/2017 at 4:01 PM, Natalie68 said:

I thought maybe the weird response from Christine's mom (Annie?  Is that her name?) was because she's not usually involved in filming and it was a nervous reaction.  Or maybe it's because she's excited that yet another kid is rejecting polygamy.  If I remember right, she's pretty vocal about her leaving polygamy and the harm it can cause.  Either way, I hope she's supportive.

New Thread Title? 

The Only PLanet I'm Applying to is ...my own lady planet *&%# the Patriarchy?!?!?

:)

Edited by DeusExMaraschino
  • Love 6
On January 4, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Roslyn said:

While reading this article, it made me wonder how Mariah would have reacted say, when she was younger and and another sibling had come out? Not that it really matters, but if she was a conflicted self-described homophobe before she had her own realization, I wonder if she would have been as accepting as she expects others to now be. And yes, she SHOULD expect acceptance, but also have some understanding if her mother " struggles" ( to use an over- used Sister Wives term) in the beginning with adjusting to the idea. YMMV

On a completely shallow note, that hair color is not doing Mariah any favors, imo. 

• Love 2

I feel like Annie said something that made it seem like she had already known.  I'd have to go back and rewatch to see what she said but I already deleted it.  Or maybe it was just because she was VERY happy and while yes it's great that they were happy for Mariah I'm sure being really really excited is the normal reaction from families. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, gunderda said:

I feel like Annie said something that made it seem like she had already known.  I'd have to go back and rewatch to see what she said but I already deleted it.  Or maybe it was just because she was VERY happy and while yes it's great that they were happy for Mariah I'm sure being really really excited is the normal reaction from families. 

I seem to remember that Annie was already smiling before Mariah made her announcement, and right after she did Annie quickly scanned the faces of the other adults to gauge their reactions, while Annie's face didn't change at all.  She had to have known about it first.

• Love 3

Mariah is still attending Westminster, but she has changed her goal of becoming a doctor to a Nurse Practioner. Maybe we will hear on the show exactly what she is going to do because she'll be graduating next year.

46 minutes ago, cinles said:

Mariah is still attending Westminster, but she has changed her goal of becoming a doctor to a Nurse Practioner. Maybe we will hear on the show exactly what she is going to do because she'll be graduating next year.

In the recent abc video about Mariah's coming out, they said that she was a "Psychology major".   I also thought that it was mentioned awhile back that she had changed from a Pre-Med platform to a Physician's assistant (isn't that the path that Logan is taking as well?)

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/sister-wives-daughter-coming-gay-family-45106662

• Love 1

Except for the education getting there.  For a nurse practitioner, she'd need to finish nursing school first and then do a nursing masters program, right?

For physician's assistant she does not need to get a nursing degree along the way.  She needs some relevant experience in the medical field and a masters PA program. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Except for the education getting there.  For a nurse practitioner, she'd need to finish nursing school first and then do a nursing masters program, right?

For physician's assistant she does not need to get a nursing degree along the way.  She needs some relevant experience in the medical field and a masters PA program. 

You don't have to get a degree in nursing or have your RN before you get your masters degree in nursing to become an NP. It's also a viable route for folks with biology and chemistry degrees. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AdorkableWitch said:

You don't have to get a degree in nursing or have your RN before you get your masters degree in nursing to become an NP.

Actually you do.  A PA doesn't but an NP must have a nursing degree.  There are some programs, for example, that fast track the nursing degree for those who have a bachelors in another field.  But ultimately you do need to have a nursing degree. Thus the "nurse" in Nurse Practitioner.

• Love 3
On 2/21/2017 at 7:44 AM, Kohola3 said:

Actually you do.  A PA doesn't but an NP must have a nursing degree.  There are some programs, for example, that fast track the nursing degree for those who have a bachelors in another field.  But ultimately you do need to have a nursing degree. Thus the "nurse" in Nurse Practitioner.

I don't know about PAs, but I used to be a healthcare recruiter and NP have to be nurses first. I thought Logan's degree was PA, but he has a specialty that is sports related. Another IMBd refugee poster knows exactly what his master's concentration will be. I'll see if he is going to post here. I didn't hear that Mariah had switched to psychology, but that's all good too.