Type keyword(s) to search

Patricia Heaton Parties - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wasn't sure what a good "all episodes" thread title would be, but all i think of is lemon chicken from ELR when it comes to Patricia Heaton and cooking so here we go.

I watched the series and I was kind of in awe of it...and not in a good way.  

The food was just eh....everything was pre-made basically, out of cans or jars.  It made me think of another party type of show that used to be all over the FN.  Nothing she made would I try on my own.

I felt bad for the guests/cast members that she probably begged to come on to sell this show.  

Her comments were a little crass as she seems to be a humble-braggart about her career and accomplishments.  

I love train wrecks and I will stick around for this one.

• Love 1

It did seem awkward with all the guests (like they had to be there) except for Jen Ray, who is a delight.  I too thought "learned nothing new here" and I am a fan of her's.  ELR and Middle are two of my favorite shows.  I will give it another try. 

I felt like I was watching "Semi-Homemade with Debra Barone." I mean c'mon, putting grilled cheese on beds of shredded lettuce? For one thing, I am not going to waste that shredded lettuce because that stuff is $1.99 a bag at the store. She had $6 worth of shredded lettuce that is going to go to waste not to mention the semi-cold grilled cheese is going to taste like wet lettuce. And don't get me started on the scraps of grilled cheese that go to waste - that's the best part lying there on the cutting board. Oh wait, that's right, the cooks will snack on that later *rolls eyes* 

• Love 3

Luckily, PH has enough camera appearances that she is able to do the talking and baking simultaneously where it doesn't come off stilted or awkward, unlike other tv personalities....cough-Ree Drummond-cough.

• Love 2

Well this week we got mini quiches w/ pre-made pie dough, another boozy cocktail, some bean puree in endives, and fondue.

The mini quiches looked good, but why couldn't she have used pre-made phyllo dough, or am I thinking of something else?  I've never had a quiche before, I guess I don't run in the right circles, but I always thought for mini ones you use something other than pie crust.

That bean puree looked awfully runny/soupy after she ran it through the food processor, and it made her mashed potato story make total sense.

How could she mess up mashed potatoes?  I didn't understand that at all.  She said, like it is gospel, that she now knows mashed potatoes must be put through a ricer b/c if you use a mixer it just messes them up to where they look and taste like drywall paste.  The only thing I could think of was she must be making some healthy alternative version b/c I use a mixer all the time but I add butter, salt, pepper, and some milk or half/half or heavy cream, sometimes a little cheese.

I'm glad PH has decided to bring back fondue b/c I have to say I haven't seen it on another cooking show in like....30 minutes.

Does it speak to the viewers that her only friends she can get to these "parties" are people she works w/ or work for her?

• Love 1

Well this week we got mini quiches w/ pre-made pie dough, another boozy cocktail, some bean puree in endives, and fondue.

The mini quiches looked good, but why couldn't she have used pre-made phyllo dough, or am I thinking of something else?  I've never had a quiche before, I guess I don't run in the right circles, but I always thought for mini ones you use something other than pie crust.

That bean puree looked awfully runny/soupy after she ran it through the food processor, and it made her mashed potato story make total sense.

How could she mess up mashed potatoes?  I didn't understand that at all.  She said, like it is gospel, that she now knows mashed potatoes must be put through a ricer b/c if you use a mixer it just messes them up to where they look and taste like drywall paste.  The only thing I could think of was she must be making some healthy alternative version b/c I use a mixer all the time but I add butter, salt, pepper, and some milk or half/half or heavy cream, sometimes a little cheese.

I'm glad PH has decided to bring back fondue b/c I have to say I haven't seen it on another cooking show in like....30 minutes.

Does it speak to the viewers that her only friends she can get to these "parties" are people she works w/ or work for her?

I didn't watch the show, but she must have meant a food processor. NEVER make mashed potatoes with a food processor. A regular stand (or hand held) mixer is fine.

I keep hearing that a ricer is the best method. Then, you don't need a mixer at all; you can stir them up by hand pretty easily after they're all broken down.

• Love 1

How could she mess up mashed potatoes?  I didn't understand that at all.  She said, like it is gospel, that she now knows mashed potatoes must be put through a ricer b/c if you use a mixer it just messes them up to where they look and taste like drywall paste.  The only thing I could think of was she must be making some healthy alternative version b/c I use a mixer all the time but I add butter, salt, pepper, and some milk or half/half or heavy cream, sometimes a little cheese.

CMH - My mother was a great cook and she always used a mixer (stand or hand held) to make her mashed potatoes, and that's all she added to hers: milk, real butter, salt and pepper.  If she had added half and half, or cream cheese I know they would have been even richer, but they didn't need it and were perfect - delicious and always very creamy - even picky kids would ask for seconds.

Okay so now I've watched both episodes of this show and I'm really on the fence. I love The Middle and I think that's why I enjoyed the first episode so much - getting to see some of her co-stars away from the show, but the second episode I just didn't care for as much. I think using pie crust was fine for the quiches - phyllo dough would work better if you were making spanakopita. The bean dip didn't look that great to me and endive is so bitter, I think it would have been easier to just put it in a bowl and have little crostini or whatever to use as the chips. Fondue is okay but unless you have a big group of people you're going to have a lot left over and have to toss it out. The cheese fondue can maybe be reheated, or re-purposed as a cheese sauce for broccoli or to make mac and cheese, but I don't think the chocolate one would fare as well. I'm frugal and hate to waste food so when I watch these shows I'm always thinking of those things!

I agree about PH not seeming to have friends who aren't work related, and as proof it looks like the next 2 episodes are going to have her husband and kids as the guests! I really wish Neil Flynn would make an appearance on a future episode. I have a Mike crush!

Tailgate Temptations-Nov. 7th

Sharing a house with five men means you hear a lot about sports, and it also means hosting plenty of game days, so Patricia Heaton has got a menu that makes it easy to kick back and enjoy the day with them. Patty's making one of her favorite cocktails, The End Zone, as well as Cleveland Stuffed Potatoes, Sloppy Joe Pockets, Kickoff Cupcakes and Sweet and Savory Popcorn.

Family Circus-Nov. 14th

Patricia Heaton is having fun in the sun while feeding her family, so she's picked out some favorites to share with her boys in the backyard! There's sweet and savory dishes like Shepherd's Pie, Popovers with Roast Beef and Horseradish, Strawberry Trifle and a Fresh Fruit Sangria.

Comfort Food Favorites-Nov. 21st

Sometimes all you need are your favorite people and foods to really feel good, so Patricia Heaton is sharing a cozy feast with her friends, filled with Cranberry Cornbread Bites, Hot Leek Dip, Prosciutto-Wrapped Pears, Hot Mulled Cider and bubbly Mini Cherry Crumbles with Ice Cream on top!

I'll keep watching because I like PH and they're only doing 6 episodes. The Tailgate episode recipes don't sound exciting to me - sloppy joes, cupcakes, and popcorn - zzzzz, but some of the recipes she's doing on the other two episodes sound interesting.

Edited by parrotlover

I haven't watched this yet and I don't know if I will.  I'm on the fence about it after reading the posts here and watching Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show, which has turned out to be less than inspiring.  It sounds like Heaton is doing similarly simple stuff that doesn't interest me whatsoever given that I'm more intermediate than to find that stuff appealing.  Plus I have an issue with trying to make every TV star out there into a cooking show host, especially when there are many excellent chefs out there who have better recipes and need the money more.

• Love 2

I haven't watched this yet and I don't know if I will.  I'm on the fence about it after reading the posts here and watching Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show, which has turned out to be less than inspiring.  It sounds like Heaton is doing similarly simple stuff that doesn't interest me whatsoever given that I'm more intermediate than to find that stuff appealing.  Plus I have an issue with trying to make every TV star out there into a cooking show host, especially when there are many excellent chefs out there who have better recipes and need the money more.

Truly, don't waste your time. I am one that has Food Network on a lot, and when this show comes on, TV gets turned off.

Well another episode w/ her friends...er...co-workers and family.  

I do have to say the potatoes looked good, and I was glad to see she actually diced the sausage up into actual edible pieces, instead of chunks like I could see other chefs on the FN would have done.

I really can't believe she would go the extra effort to make her cupcake mix from scratch when other episodes we saw she was totally okay w/ going the easy route.  The icing still looked way too thick to be spreadable.

I agree about PH not seeming to have friends who aren't work related, and as proof it looks like the next 2 episodes are going to have her husband and kids as the guests! I really wish Neil Flynn would make an appearance on a future episode. I have a Mike crush!

Neil Flynn was on yesterday's episode (Tailgate Temptations)!!

We got a seasoning packet AND whack-a-dough! Are we sure Aunt Sandy isn't a producer?

*please have a Kwanzaa cake please have a Kwanzaa cake please have a Kwanzaa cake* I promise I won't any for anything else this year if we can please have a Kwanzaa cake. 

• Love 4

This show really calls attention to the fact that pretty much any famous person can have their own cooking show these days (*cough* Valerie Bertinelli *cough*).  I fully expect Food Network to announce a new series starring Dustin Diamond and Carrot Top any day now and I'm only half-kidding.

I had to laugh at her inability to open the crescent roll package in "Tailgate Temptations."  Of course she didn't realize that you have to remove the wrapper first before whacking the roll . . . because she doesn't use that stuff at home.  Does Food Network actually expect me to believe that Patricia Heaton comes home after a long day on the set and makes sloppy joes and cupcakes?

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 2

I had to laugh at her inability to open the crescent roll package in "Tailgate Temptations."  Of course she didn't realize that you have to remove the wrapper first before whacking the roll

I found that so enjoyably hilarious, b/c i've done that as well and it took me awhile to get it to pop, even peeled...but damned if you don't drop one at the grocery store, or in my instance a whole case of them when I used to stock the shelves at a grocery store in my past, and they all explode open.  Talk about embarrassing. 

• Love 1

I don't like Patricia Heaton.  Never Have*. I don't think she is charming when I see her on talk shows as herself. 

I think her food looks pedestrian, common, and uninspiring - even for "real" people (not gourmet) food. 

I am being totally superficial, but I can't stand her hair on this show. The sprayed and stiff and tight curls/waves look is so....1950's/60's Donna Reed June Cleever Father Knows Best house wifey. All she needs is a shirtwaist dress with a full skirt and pearls.

Plus I happen to know her personal politics .Don't care for her. I will leave at that.

* I never thought she and Raymond....matched. I don't mean played a husband and wife that had conflict and disagreements. I thought they looked like people that came from two different worlds and had no idea how they got together.  

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 3

OMG, the seasoning packet...that was just a blow to any shred of cooking cred she may have had. Hell, I'd rather she used Manwich sauce. I guess because of her sitcom, she's supposed to have some knowledge of what it's like to be one of the 47%, LOL

Plus I happen to know her personal politics .Don't care for her. I will leave at that.

totally with you on that. I have to set it aside to watch The Middle as I think the show is charming

• Love 1

I find her personal politics totally a turn off but I love her acting in ELR and the Middle that I too just look past it.  I do wonder though if she is as staunch in her political beliefs as she used to be, b/c let's face it she works in Hollywood and well...she did have her makeup artist on her first episode.

I watched about ten minutes of this show -- although it could have been nine -- and turned it off.  That wasn't really giving it a chance, I suppose, but why waste electricity when you're bored stiff?  Patricia Heaton may have been "somebody" once, but WHY is the FN recruiting all of these Hollywood has-beens?  In this case, she may have had a very successful career in acting, but that doesn't give her creds to be an outstanding cook on television.  We want to LEARN something -- not just watch someone praying that they can pull it off!

• Love 3

I've seen a couple of episodes and she just annoys. First, she makes Cleveland and Ohio sound like things like quiche or anything even slightly less than pantry staples are just unheard of and second, my guess is she hasn't been to Cleveland in 2 decades, even to visit a relative. If she had been, she might know Cleveland has a very strong food scene and has been very much on the radar for a while now. I loved when she was pretending to be a Browns fan. Please. Her "friends" don't seem to like her all that much or even barely know her. She's lacking any natural interactions with them. At least Valerie Bertinelli seems like a very nice person and I honestly believe her special guests like her. If she really wanted to make a Cleveland dish, she'd make city chicken. It would be interesting since probably 99% of the country has no idea what it is. 

• Love 2

I don't like her. Never Have. I don't think she is charming when I see her on talk shows as herself. 

I think her food looks pedestrian, common, and uninspiring - even for "real" people (not gourmet) food. 

I am being totally superficial, but I can't stand her hair on this show. The sprayed and stiff and tight curls/waves look is so....1950's/60's Donna Reed June Cleever Father Knows Best house wifey. All she needs is a shirtwaist dress with a full skirt and pearls.

OMG - I totally agree with every single word you wrote!!!!

• Love 2

Another one here who doesn't agree with her politics & don't really care one way or the other about her acting abilities - but - I'm actually embarrassed for her with this show - no cooking chops, not much chemistry with her guests, ordinary "recipes" - the money must be so attractive that these personalities can't help themselves

I've pretty much given up on learning anything new from a FN show (& watch PBS or Cooking Channel instead) but would watch if any of these new shows at least had some entertainment value - that sure isn't happening & I won't be wasting any more time with Patty & her party friends 

• Love 2

I think i'll stick w/ this series for the first season them i'm out.  Who knows if it will be renewed or not, is it even a hit?  If I have to hear her tell every "friend" that she has two Emmy's anymore i'm going to be really put off by her and that will taint me from enjoying the Middle and ELR.

I could have predicted this mess.  I have always disliked her.

She's a nasty person IRL & hasn't a clue how to cook.

The Two Hot Tamales are just that.  Two smart talented women who know how to cook.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 5

I had a chance to watch an episode of this - Meh.  I don't like her personally either and she's obviously not a great cook, so I won't be watching it again.  It looks like she's trying to copy the same formula as Valerie Bertinelli -  And I'm not even thrilled with Valerie's show either, but at least I can believe that she is a decent cook plus she seems like a much nicer person.

• Love 2

And I'm not even thrilled with Valerie's show either, but at least I can believe that she is a decent cook plus she seems like a much nicer person.

I thought so too, until she had Duff Goldman on.  Maybe she just doesn't like him, but I thought she was very snotty to him.

stewedsquash, I think you should take that attitude of yours and bottle it.  While I doubt that I could become a dedicated fan and watch the show on a regular basis, if it happens to come on while I'm watching the FN, maybe I should give the show a second chance.  Maybe Patricia has more to offer than what I saw in a short segment.  I, too, am so tired of all the game shows.

It won the daytime Emmy for Best Culinary Program. I didn't hate it but there had to be a better choice...many better choices. I thought even Valerie Bertinelli had better recipes and I didn't care for her show. An Emmy for making sloppy joes, mashed potatoes, popcorn. Ree Drummond must be livid.

• Love 1

Wow, she's even less likable in the new season. She's just so damn phony. And again with how horrible her life was in Cleveland before she made her way to NYC and learned how cultured people lived. Ironically, I've yet to see her make anything that even comes close to anything but absolutely mundane. 

• Love 1

I've tried to like her show but, she's so phony and so "I'm just wonderful" I just can't do it.  Plus, I love Cooking Channels "Dinner at Tiffani's" and Patricia is a Tiffani wanna be in my opinion. 

• Love 1

Decided to try this show out again this morning and was instantly reminded of how much I dislike Patricia Heaton.  There is nothing special about her so-called "recipes."  She puts a drop of peppermint extract into her hot chocolate and acts like she's the second coming of Julia Child.  She has Molly Shannon and Chris Kattan on as guests.  Molly looks super uncomfortable, like she's trying too hard to find things to say in response to Patricia's arrogant, baseless boasting about her cooking, her personal life, her work life, and just about everything else.  As for Chris Kattan . . . yeah.  His career peaked two presidential administrations ago (and SNL long before that).

Food Network, if you're listening (and you obviously aren't), it's not entertaining to watch B- and C-list celebrities cook while C- and D-list celebrities watch from the kitchen island.  I'm not asking for Jacques or Julia-level cooking, but surely we can do better than this.  Right?!

• Love 2

I loved when she called the grease in the pan of ground beef she was browning the "juice" and kept referring to the "sauce" in the chili. And why is she pronouncing smores sa-mores? But my absolute favorite was her trying to say how much she LOVED SNL, watched it all the time, and how funny Molly and Chris were … and then promptly asked if they were ever on together. Yeah… only for about 6 years, you idiot. 

• Love 2

I caught this a while ago and laughed my butt off. She can't cook to save her life! How on earth did she end up with this show? Was she recruited or did she pitch it?

On 12/25/2015 at 2:52 PM, 4leafclover said:

Patricia Heaton is a "nasty" person in real life?  

She said men are better for the workplace and women are better at running households and juggling kids, joined Rush Limbaugh in harassing Sandra Fluke (at one point suggesting to Fluke that if she found it too difficult to afford contraceptives she should, among other things, turn her dirty underwear inside out so that she has to do laundry only every other week) (Heaton deleted her account after she caught shit for that), she made really crappy comments regarding Terri Schiavo's husband during what had to be one of the most painful times of his life, participating in that ad against stem-cell research that came out right around the time Michael J Fox had an ad out and Heaton's bro Rush Limbaugh accused Fox of exaggerating his Parkinson's symptoms. Heaton later apologized for her involvement in it all. It's always something. I'm sure there's more (I've seen interviews with her and could only shake my head) but I don't really keep up with her. 

• Love 4