Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/15/2022 at 3:01 PM, ChitChat said:

I hated reliving the awful bridal moments

I really disliked Cami Li, the bride with the nasty mother and the bitchy maid of honor the first time I watched so I wasn't thrilled to be reminded of them again. I was surprised Marlo and Margo only got a brief cameo and there was absolutely nothing about the Barbie Twins who were featured on several episodes. Thank goodness there was nothing about the fake War Hero bride who conned them. I would have much preferred to see more updates about the lovely brides who overcame some kind of hardship on the way to the altar like the one whose father was hit by lightning. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I would have much preferred to see more updates about the lovely brides who overcame some kind of hardship on the way to the altar like the one whose father was hit by lightning. 

I'm pretty sure they showed an update with his daughter and him, or am I losing my mind?

• Applause 1

Something strange is going on. I found an article on Metacritic that says S21/E7 of SYTTD "America: Ring That Bell" airs tonight on TLC - but it doesn't.

I also found articles from less reputable sources claiming TLC has changed the day of the week for airing new episodes of SYTTD from Saturday to Tuesday!

What gives? Anyone?

TLC has misinformation on their website, too. I was all excited at first, thinking it was a new episode, then realized it was an old one. And it's not on, anyway. I have no idea what's going on. And was the retrospective episode really the last one for this season? We only got 5 shows? 

Edited by rur
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, rur said:

And was the retrospective episode really the last one for this season? We only got 5 shows? 

I thought that was nuts, too. It can't cost that much to produce this show. C'mon, TLC, give us more episodes!

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, rur said:

TLC has misinformation on their website, too. I was all excited at first, thinking it was a new episode, then realized it was an old one. And it's not on, anyway. I have no idea what's going on. And was the retrospective episode really the last one for this season? We only got 5 shows? 

2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I thought that was nuts, too. It can't cost that much to produce this show. C'mon, TLC, give us more episodes!

Maybe I'm misremembering, but the past couple of years haven't they split the season and showed a few episodes in July/August and picked up with the remaining season episodes in January? 

OTOH, one of the (unreliable source) articles I read today referred to S21E7 as the season finale, so who knows? 

I decided to begin a SYTTD rewatch starting with S1E1 last week (FireTV/TLC GO) and although S1 was only 6 episodes, once they realized they had a winner the seasons were expanded to 18 episodes.

Plus, later on, once the SYTTD season was over, SYTTD Atlanta's season would begin, so we had our collective SYTTD "fix" for 2/3 of the year! 

I miss those times.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but the past couple of years haven't they split the season and showed a few episodes in July/August and picked up with the remaining season episodes in January? 

I thought so but when I went to look at the airdates for previous seasons on wikipedia, they all aired in succession about a year apart.  There were two seasons that aired in the same year.  Jan and then another season in July but it has mostly been summer (July-Sep) for the past couple years and winter (Jan-March).

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:
8 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Are you referring to this?

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 2.36.53 PM.png

Expand  

Yes, that's the monstrosity the woman spent so much on.  

Was this Wedding No. 5 or so?  Doesn't look like a new bride.

28 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

These brides who pressure their parents to up their stated budget tick me off. If your mother offers you $2k, you either find a gown at that price point or you contribute the rest yourself. The entitlement is infuriating.

And they watch the show--see other brides exceeding the parents' budget (some, BY FAR), and perhaps they think that's expected.  Let those spoiled brats PUSH-PUSH-PUSH.  It's up to the people with the money to draw that DEEP line in the sand.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

This is just a runway pic I found, not the actual bride who bought this monstrosity on the show.

That's my second-least favorite dress ever on the show.

This is #1.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 10.51.50 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2022 at 9:08 AM, carolinagirl81 said:

That's how I felt watching previous seasons when they'd promote Pnina dresses heavily, especially that one Pnina ballgown with the pleats and the heavy rhinestones on the bodice.  Also, don't forget about the Hailey Page and Lazzaro season.

My kingdom to never see this again.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 10.55.09 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

My kingdom to never see this again.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 10.55.09 PM.png

That's her LMAO, it wouldn't have been that bad if it didn't have those big ass rhinestones. Take those off and you'd have a really elegant ball gown.

5 hours ago, carolinagirl81 said:

That's her LMAO, it wouldn't have been that bad if it didn't have those big ass rhinestones. Take those off and you'd have a really elegant ball gown.

I swear we spent at least a season, maybe two, watching every other bride buy that dress.

It's not the worst I've ever seen (I hate the rhinestones), but I got so sick of it!

9 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

It's up to the people with the money to draw that DEEP line in the sand.

Every so often they do. I remember one episode where a bride was whining because she just had to have a Pnina (I swear it was that one with the rhinestones and pleats), and her mother just shrugged and said, "you know what I'm good for" about the budget. Nice to see!

• Like 2
On 8/22/2022 at 5:44 PM, jcbrown said:

I don't have any special insight but these were still being filmed during COVID when there were a lot of restrictions. I imagine that they had logistical issues to work around in terms of requirements for any production.

I didn't particularly like that Pnina and its popularity was inscrutable.

I did like the Lazaro dress with the flowered belt which showed up in a number of episodes including one where the bride bought it in the blush color. I could understand why it was so popular

Lazaro-2014-56966.thumb.jpg.f049479a7edfe933c1ebab4db50a483f.jpg

• Love 6
1 hour ago, amarante said:

I did like the Lazaro dress with the flowered belt which showed up in a number of episodes including one where the bride bought it in the blush color. I could understand why it was so popular

Ooh, I had forgotten about that one! It's lovely!

I'm watching the reunion show, and I love seeing all the old consultants! Keesha! Sarah! Debbie!

The mom who insisted on trying on a wedding dress during her daughter's appointment was a piece of work. What an awful thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

IIRC, that tinfoil creation was originally a "concept" dress that was shown at the finale of a Pnina show and wasn't designed to be sold, so I think that might be a model in that picture. 

(And I always wondered why, if it wasn't designed to be sold, why it was in the store unless the Kleinfeld folks said, "We'll be able to convince someone to buy it.")

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, rur said:

IIRC, that tinfoil creation was originally a "concept" dress that was shown at the finale of a Pnina show and wasn't designed to be sold, so I think that might be a model in that picture. 

(And I always wondered why, if it wasn't designed to be sold, why it was in the store unless the Kleinfeld folks said, "We'll be able to convince someone to buy it.")

The infamous "boob bow" dress was, if I recall correctly, one of those concept dresses. Yes, that's a model in the tinfoil picture; I didn't spend much time looking for the bride from the show.

And the boob bow dress is another one that had the bones to be quite attractive -- if all the bows and rosettes were removed. Hopefully the bride was better covered in a dress that was made to her size. 

3 hours ago, rur said:

And the boob bow dress is another one that had the bones to be quite attractive -- if all the bows and rosettes were removed. Hopefully the bride was better covered in a dress that was made to her size. 

If I recall correctly, she bought that dress exactly, as it was the only one in existence. And it cost at least $50k.

I will never understand how a piece of clothing can be $50K, unless it's made from cloth-of-gold with real diamonds.

Was looking up non-white wedding gowns and found these. The blue one is amazing. The black is excellent for anyone who wants sleeves and would look good in a range of colors. The rest are not wedding dresses. A few could be red carpet looks, and some of them go even further than Pnina with the stripper fairy aesthetic.

So I have a non-wedding fashion question and you guys seem to know your stuff. There's a fabric style that was hugely popular, with undyed strips running across patterns. It was everywhere, on everything. Does anyone know what it's called?

12 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Was looking up non-white wedding gowns and found these.

The dresses ARE beautiful.  I can see how SOME of them could be quite expensive (not $50k) because of the labor involved. I haven't looked closely, but the first of Jennifer Lopez's (3) wedding dresses looks VERY labor-intensive.  (I'm already tired of seeing the pictures of Bennifer (or is it a new nickname this time 'round?).  Ben always looks drunk to me.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

The dresses ARE beautiful.  I can see how SOME of them could be quite expensive (not $50k) because of the labor involved. I haven't looked closely, but the first of Jennifer Lopez's (3) wedding dresses looks VERY labor-intensive.  (I'm already tired of seeing the pictures of Bennifer (or is it a new nickname this time 'round?).  Ben always looks drunk to me.

I've seen the pictures of all 3 of her (J.Lo's) dresses which were custom designed by Ralph Lauren and her.  These "unlimited budget" folk who get married, I wish they'd do something custom because IMO that is what you do when you have an "unlimited budget" to buy your wedding gown, you do not buy off the rack.

J. Lo's three custom Ralph Lauren dresses

JLO-RL-wedding-dress-sketch-tout-b668d8b371ef49a4ab9d98a31544839b.webp.77f26c94dd0be8597710d11ebdbbbcb2.webp

Dress one, she wore for the ceremony. ^^^^

JLO-RL-wedding-dress-2-b96d65513065409391cbdee15ba1f869.webp.a0c25e1edaa1c85dd25269c5dc172766.webpJLO-RL-wedding-dress-1-d133fb006abf423b82c47051c1503147.webp.8ef10db3e6797cd3b8bf71fdeafba530.webp 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

These "unlimited budget" folk who get married, I wish they'd do something custom because IMO that is what you do when you have an "unlimited budget" to buy your wedding gown, you do not buy off the rack.

Great comment! Those "unlimited budget" brides probably have no experience with anything "custom," they just want to be on television...bragging.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 8/24/2022 at 10:51 AM, amarante said:

I didn't particularly like that Pnina and its popularity was inscrutable.

Lazaro-2014-56966.thumb.jpg.f049479a7edfe933c1ebab4db50a483f.jpg

That’s my all time favorite dress . I wish that had been around when I got married (27 years ago) so I could have worn it. There are some beautiful Lazaro dresses.

• Like 1
On 8/24/2022 at 11:08 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

I will never understand how a piece of clothing can be $50K, unless it's made from cloth-of-gold with real diamonds.

If something is being sold at a store assume that the wholesale price is half of that so $25,000.

The wholesale price has some amount that is profit to the manufacturer, designer or design house.

Obviously a famous design house will also be charging for the status of the name as well as theoretically the higher level creativity of the design team.

The level of materials used in these kinds of gowns is extremely expensive and generally they use an enormous amount of fabric. Also if they have any kind of embellishment that is expensive if they are higher end. A few times Randy has explained how the more expensive embellished gowns use more expensive stones and beading. Beautiful lace is very expensive as well as any kind of appliqués which would often be hand made.

And the skill of the labor necessary to actually create these gowns is either highly paid or exploited. If Kleinfeld charges $1000 for a standard alteration on a regular gown imagine the number of hours needed to create a one of a kind couture intricate dress.

In terms of the $50,000 monstrosity, I do think that Kleinfeld has an extremely limited number of customers who come to K to buy at that price point. For the most part they are going elsewhere. I would think we are probably seeing 99% of the women who are buying at the price point at K because of the television stuff. 

I do think K does have people who might be spending $20,000 for an elaborate gown. There was a young girl many seasons back from Brooklyn who had bought a $20,000 Pnina fancy ballgown which had been customized and she hated it and so they remade it with a different skirt which drove up the price. I remember that episode because the girl was from a specific extremely wealthy community and I knew of her father who was a multi-millionaire and the community is so interesting because they live in non-gentrified section of Brooklyn even though they could afford to live on Park Avenue if they chose. There are some very expensive mansions in their small neighborhood based on how close they are to their neighborhood cultural center.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

That’s my all time favorite dress . I wish that had been around when I got married (27 years ago) so I could have worn it. There are some beautiful Lazaro dresses.

Indeed Lazaro has many, many dresses that I've added to my Pinterest board over the years.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2022 at 1:18 AM, the-grey-lady said:

These brides who pressure their parents to up their stated budget tick me off. If your mother offers you $2k, you either find a gown at that price point or you contribute the rest yourself. The entitlement is infuriating.

I am annoyed by the brides who are willing to cheapen the reception in order to pay thousands more for a dress to wear once. I think the guests would be more impressed by better food or decent music than by Bridezilla's fabulous peekaboo gown. Better yet, use the money for a downpayment on a house. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 5/16/2016 at 6:45 PM, Maizie131 said:

Julia - was she in an ep. of SYTTD?  I don't recall seeing this one.  Unfortunately, I've seen just about all of them. 

Missy - Thanks for the link.  Oh.My.God.  Unbelievable.  Yeah, I'm sure this is a marriage that will last a lifetime.  NOT.  I give it 2 years max.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:11 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, that's the monstrosity the woman spent so much on.  

The bride was Kelly Dooley, and her fiancé, Andrew Kalley.

They also had a "Say Yes to the Dress: The Big Day" episode.

They married in 2012.

And despite the dire predictions their marriage wouldn't last, they're still married.

• Like 1
On 8/4/2019 at 12:57 AM, Irlandesa said:

Too funny because I had the opposite reaction to the styling.  I didn't like it when I first saw it but when I saw her done up and in the location, it ended up working for me.  I still think I probably would have preferred the full original dress that the top came from but I think going all in was probably the best choice.

I liked the blush Lozaro as well.

I think the bride who went with the Pnina could wear anything and look gorgeous.  The Pnina dress was just tragic, though. Not worth busting the budget. 

It's so funny to compare this show to the northern edition.  In the Northern (a.k.a. Canadian) edition, the budgets are usually much less and they're more likely to stick to them.  Tonight, the woman in the original doubled her budget.  In the Northern edition, a bride found the perfect dress but it was 700 dollars over budget (her budget was $2000).  In the original edition, this would be treated as nothing. In the Northern edition, the bride turned it down and ended up not buying a dress because of it.

Thanks!!!! 

- The Ireland Bride

• Love 1
On 8/31/2022 at 6:42 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

The bride was Kelly Dooley, and her fiancé, Andrew Kalley.

They also had a "Say Yes to the Dress: The Big Day" episode.

They married in 2012.

And despite the dire predictions their marriage wouldn't last, they're still married.

Don't think they are. They both have children with other people, hes definitely remarried think they divorced after 2-3 years

His insta https://www.instagram.com/p/CE7CRPnBl18/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Her insta https://www.instagram.com/thenomadfashionista/?hl=en

• Love 1
On 9/2/2022 at 10:04 PM, maggiegil said:

Don't think they are. They both have children with other people, hes definitely remarried think they divorced after 2-3 years

His insta https://www.instagram.com/p/CE7CRPnBl18/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Her insta https://www.instagram.com/thenomadfashionista/?hl=en

I retract my statement then, and apologize for the misinformation. 

I honestly believed I had left no stone unturned, but despite searching for over an hour, was unable to find any info about a divorce. I thought it strange I didn't get any hits on Google when searching their names together, other than articles covering their wedding, though. 

I should have gone back further on Kelly's IG.

You get the PT gold sleuthing today, and I've got the dunce cap. I'll be wearing it while I sit in the corner thinking about what I've done... 😉

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1

So I'm doing my mindless scrolling through TikTok and I follow kleinfelds account And they showed snippet from our favorite stripper fairy wedding dress designer Pnina Tornai 2023 collection and honestly I didn't see anything that stood out to me.

Kleinfelds TikTok of Pninas collection

But I have to wonder which I want to be on TV bride will see something from that collection and ask to try it on. 

Maybe there'll be that one daring bride that'll want that black see through pantsuit number that was the finale.

So I'm doing my mindless scrolling through TikTok and I follow kleinfelds account And they showed snippet from our favorite stripper fairy wedding dress designer Pnina Tornai 2023 collection and honestly I didn't see anything that stood out to me.

Kleinfelds TikTok of Pninas collection

But I have to wonder which I want to be on TV bride will see something from that collection and ask to try it on. 

Maybe there'll be that one daring bride that'll want that black see through pantsuit number that was the finale.

I watch SYTTD dozing usually the past few seasons. Doesn't seem like they are pushing Pninas as in earlier seasons. I find most of them pretty ugly. 

• Like 2

Typical Pnina. I'm not a huge fan of her dresses, but there are a few that I've thought were nice.  From that TikTok, there were 4 that I really liked and 2 that were ok.  The rest?  No. Not as wedding dresses.

Edited by Shannon L.
3 hours ago, BAForever said:

I watch SYTTD dozing usually the past few seasons. Doesn't seem like they are pushing Pninas as in earlier seasons. I find most of them pretty ugly. 

Same.

Only Pnina Tornai dress that I really liked was that big monstrosity of a ball gown that they had everybody try on when the show was first coming on and it had those huge rhinestones all over the bust of it.

13 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Typical Pnina. I'm not a huge fan of her dress, but there are a few that I've thought.  From that TikTok, there were 4 that I really liked and 2 that were ok.  The rest?  No. Not as wedding dresses.

My thoughts exactly.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, carolinagirl81 said:

Same.

Only Pnina Tornai dress that I really liked was that big monstrosity of a ball gown that they had everybody try on when the show was first coming on and it had those huge rhinestones all over the bust of it.

My thoughts exactly.

I just reread what I wrote and saw that I made a few errors.  That's embarrassing-I really shouldn't post so early in the morning. 😊

• LOL 2

Has been renewed. Not that anyone expected it to be cancelled. TLC also renewed a bunch of trash shows.

“Say Yes to the Dress” premieres on Saturday, Feb. 4, at 8 p.m.

Randy Fenoli and the Kleinfeld consultants’ navigate nervous brides ahead of their big days, working with opinionated family members and one woman determined to buy a dress despite being single. Cast members from the past join Fenoli to look back at the success through the years. “Say Yes to the Dress” is produced by Half Yard Productions.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Congrats to Randy!  I wish him and his fiance every happiness!  Gosh knows Randy has brought happiness to 1,000s over his career and lifetime.  🥰

He seems like a genuinely kind soul who truly sees the beauty in every bride. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
On 1/15/2023 at 1:35 PM, carolinagirl81 said:

Just came across this TikTok account of someone who was applied and was on the show.

Bride who was on SYTTD

Who remembers her episode? I haven't watched in a few seasons.

I watched the TikTok (thanks for posting) but I have zero recollection of her. Looks like her wedding was pretty over-the-top.

• Like 1

So I remembered the show was supposed to premiere this month but my DVR didn't pick up anything. When I check everything says it should have started on the 4th. Obvs it hasn't, and the schedule is showing a Dr. PP marathon this Saturday, and 1000 lb Friends next week. Anyone know what's up?