Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was aghast at Peter's outfit. Aside from the tie, it was the sheerness of the shirt fabric that got me. I liked his personality, but he needs to do better on the clothes.

It's weird for me to see people debating whether or not chest hair is "in." I've always just thought of it as something some men have and others don't. No big whoop.

Every time I hear "Pantora" I think of the band "Pantera" and it makes me chuckle, thinking how great it is that those nice heavy metal boys have found a new career designing wedding dresses.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

When Peter said he went to Catholic school, I got it. That's so many guys I went to Catholic school with, their shirts unbuttoned and ties around their neck just like that. And I'm not in New York!

• Love 1

For me the jury is still out about Peter. Do customers get to choose their consultant?  I hope they at least are able to say if they don’t want a male dressing them. I may be old fashioned but I wouldn’t be comfortable with a man in that situation. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

It's weird for me to see people debating whether or not chest hair is "in." I've always just thought of it as something some men have and others don't. No big whoop.

Every time I hear "Pantora" I think of the band "Pantera" and it makes me chuckle, thinking how great it is that those nice heavy metal boys have found a new career designing wedding dresses.

I agree on chest hair--it never occurred to me it would be "in" or "out."

And I have the same response to hearing "Pantora"!

18 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

At least department stores in the tri-state area no longer have one giant dressing room where you have to undress in front of everyone else.

In the late 90s there was a Jessica McClintock outlet near my office and my colleagues and I would go there to look for finery for the X-mas party. It was the only place I've ever experienced one of those terrible dressing rooms.

• Love 1

The communal dressing room probably cuts down on shoplifting. It doesn't really bother me since I tend to my little section of mirror, but I haven't been in one in ages. I remember the many years in Filene's Basement just trying stuff on right on the sales floor. If a $2000 designer skirt was marked down to $50, I wasn't going to let it out of my sight until I had determined if it fit and looked good. I wasn't the only person doing this, of course. Oh, I miss Filene's Basement. The Running of the Brides event was a hoot. 

As for the male consultants in bridal shops, I doubt they have any interest in their clients' attributes. Their eyes are on the commission. 

• Love 1

Late 50s, early 60s, my family would occasionally travel to a neighboring town to shop for clothing at Robert Hall.  I don't know if would be considered a discount department store, a big box store or a warehouse store.  
I was an impressionable little girl.  Going with my mother into their big communal dressing room was my introduction to what grown women's bodies looked like, in all their diversity.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

As for the male consultants in bridal shops, I doubt they have any interest in their clients' attributes.

I encountered a male sales associate at Victoria's Secret a few years ago, I am a very libral person but I just wasn't comfortable with him sizing me, I wonder who thought that would be a good idea?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I wonder who thought that would be a good idea?

Just like some women don't want a male consultant with them in the dressing room but others don't mind, the same can be said about bra fitting, receiving massages and gynecologists.

I probably would have cared when I was in my 20s.  Once I entered my 30s, I've cared less about that kind of thing.  Be professional or I'll report. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Just like some women don't want a male consultant with them in the dressing room but others don't mind, the same can be said about bra fitting, receiving massages and gynecologists.

It's comical when I think about it.  I'm eighty-one and recall TOO MANY TIMES when friends/relatives/etc. would NEVER want a female doctor--for any reason.  Was it THAT long ago?

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I live in Arizona and we had nothing like it...my only knowledge was from various TV sitcoms.

I think the only Filenes that did the running of the brides was the original in Boston.  Because...they're crazy up there!😉

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

It's comical when I think about it.  I'm eighty-one and recall TOO MANY TIMES when friends/relatives/etc. would NEVER want a female doctor--for any reason.  Was it THAT long ago?

I just had to find a new gyno, mine retired and I had been going to him for 33 years...I tried to get in to see a popular female doctor but no appointments open for months so I went to a male doctor in the practice, I liked him, I will see him once a year, don't care about his gender...how ever in a non medical situation I would not feel comfortable about some random male sales person in a VS dressing room with me, just odd to me that VS tried to sell that option.  Even Randy steps out of the room when a bride tries on a dress.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:12 PM, jcbrown said:

In the late 90s there was a Jessica McClintock outlet near my office and my colleagues and I would go there to look for finery for the X-mas party. It was the only place I've ever experienced one of those terrible dressing rooms.

We had a Lohman's store in town, it was a communal dressing room, I could take the old ladies in their long line bras and girdles but it annoyed me that some people have perfect butts, lol.

• LOL 2
10 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

how ever in a non medical situation I would not feel comfortable about some random male sales person in a VS dressing room with me, just odd to me that VS tried to sell that option.  Even Randy steps out of the room when a bride tries on a dress.

I think Peter doesn't understand restraint.  I dated a guy in my co-op building when I was 20; he might have been 30.  He worked for a well known local western store and asked if I wanted to model at a buyers convention.  The company was Porter's and their slogan was, "You get more tail in a Porter's shirt."  Models would be wearing men's western shirts (large) over black tights (black high heels).  My mother (my roommate) said, "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" so I didn't.  Six or seven years later I was married and my woman's club had an annual fashion show (local merchants).  I was assigned to a small boutique...and WHO was the manager?  And the only employee in that day?  THAT Porter's guy.  The merchants chose the outfits they wanted to feature...so he chose a few and then WALKED RIGHT IN to my dressing room.  I told him I wasn't comfortable; he told me not to be that way.  I won.

• Love 1
On 9/15/2021 at 6:37 PM, Shannon L. said:

Finally, I'm convinced I must be boring as hell because most of the dresses I prefer are the "plain" ones, as most people on either show describe them.   The pure white from head to toe, whatever the style--I think they're so classy and elegant looking. 

I think that most "plain" dresses can be very classy and elegant, and look great on the right bride.  However, there have been some plain dresses that just seemed to have no personality to them and do nothing for the person wearing them!  For example, the fashion designer bride on tonight's episode seemed to sparkle in the Beyonce dress.  I understand that she was concerned about the lack of structure with the dress.  The non-embellished one she really liked was pretty, but it didn't seem to fit her personality.  It looked good on her body type though.   

I'm glad that Randy reassured her that she didn't have to buy his gown.  I respect him for that.  I think she did the right thing in stepping back and giving herself some time to think about what she feels comfortable in.  

I loved the dress that the bride with the super picky sister ended up with.  It looked really good on her.  I felt like her sister really didn't want her to shine at her wedding.  She was nitpicking things about each dress and that was unnecessary.  I liked the dress she tried on that the sister said washed her out.  I didn't think that washed her out at all.  Her sister needed a muzzle. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I loved the dress that the bride with the super picky sister ended up with.  It looked really good on her

EXACTLY!

I felt like her sister really didn't want her to shine at her wedding. 

EXACTLY!

Her sister needed a muzzle. 

EXACTLY!   And their mother seemed too needy for attention! 

24 minutes ago, rur said:

I don't think a muzzle would fit over what she did to her lips.  

THIS is FABULOUS!   I hope she stops with whose eyelashes and ALL injections after she sees herself on TV.

• Love 4

All I kept thinking about was that sister with those lips! She looked like someone had smacked her in the face with a big, heavy book. And then she covered them with thick, shiny gloss. And fake, spiky, overly mascara’d eyelashes. A mirror, maybe?

She looked like a very low rent Kardashian.

And she made her sister’s appointment all about her. Twice, apparently. She’s not getting married, your sister is. Take a seat. Although with that stank personality, she may not ever.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Rosebud1970 said:

All I kept thinking about was that sister with those lips! She looked like someone had smacked her in the face with a big, heavy book. And then she covered them with thick, shiny gloss. And fake, spiky, overly mascara’d eyelashes. A mirror, maybe?

And she made her sister’s appointment all about her. Twice, apparently. She’s not getting married, your sister is. Take a seat. Although with that stank personality, she may not ever.

The Tammy Faye wannabe looking  sister kept looking at herself in the mirror.  What a fake.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, rur said:

Her sister was more interested on being on TV.

I don't think a muzzle would fit over what she did to her lips.  

I think she thinks she would be noticed from SYTTD, like the next Kardashian.  Frankly I thought she was trans, not that it is an insult but I thought since she was such a try hard I truly thought that.  She is kind of a bitch.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Rosebud1970 said:

Love my trash shows, but am proud to say I've never watched any Kardashian show ever. But wanted to comment that aren't the Kardashian's all low rent?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Bet big money Peter is gay...that said, its his job to help the bride into the gown. The camera people are apparently are women. Gok dresses his brides personally, we've seen it on camera. He's very discreet. I'd expect the same from other male consultants

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

EXACTLY!

EXACTLY!

EXACTLY!   And their mother seemed too needy for attention! 

THIS is FABULOUS!   I hope she stops with whose eyelashes and ALL injections after she sees herself on TV.

That sister was way to concerned with herself...kept flipping her hair (it's a serious attention whore move). She is probably MOH and wants all the attention. Little sister put her in her place, ya? Got to stand up to those bullies.

Kim was such a fun bride. Randy nailed it "well, you came in ostrich feathers"...the portrait of Chewie was great. Randy adores his mother, no doubt. He's featured her many times in the most fun ways. I think that when he says Chewie is the most important thing to him, he's referring to daily personal comfort. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Anybody catch Gok and the transgender bride Sophie? Sob sob. What an awesome family/support group she had. Didn't love her choice, but she was glowing. 

Yes. I'm happy she was so happy with two choices.  I get why she'd choose the one who showed off her assets but I preferred the third dress. I think it had a softer silhouette which was really flattering on her. 

I really liked how he explained why he was in favor of her wearing straps instead of going strapless.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes. I'm happy she was so happy with two choices.  I get why she'd choose the one who showed off her assets but I preferred the third dress. I think it had a softer silhouette which was really flattering on her. 

I really liked how he explained why he was in favor of her wearing straps instead of going strapless.

Yes, I liked the last dress best too. Gok rocks! He is so kind and really knows his stuff. Great episode. 

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 2

When transgender bride put on that second dress and had that complete epiphany about her body, I teared up with her.  This show is leaps and bounds over the original flavor, even when it was in it's early years. 

Gok puts brides in dresses to get them out of their comfort zone, and explains why he chose a specific dress for them. (e.g. straps to reduce appearance of large shoulders).  Often, I think he knows it's probably not THE dress, but wants to point out features that are flattering and show the bride that she is truly beautiful when she has confidence in herself. 

Gok is very kind.  Randy is like that too, when he is concentrating on being a consultant and not distracted by his bridal collection.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, cynicat said:

Gok is very kind.  Randy is like that too, when he is concentrating on being a consultant and not distracted by his bridal collection.

I’m sorry to have gotten disillusioned with Randy the past few seasons.  I do like his own designs very much, but I’m so over his exact same act with every show.  I’m tired of “hello, beautiful” and the constant fake drama of oh dear we can’t find the ONE dress the bride walked 23 miles in the rain to try on, I hope we have it. 

Gok is so empathetic and I love that he actually pins the dresses to fit rather than using those jumper cables that the other show uses.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, DiamondGirl said:

Gok is so empathetic and I love that he actually pins the dresses to fit rather than using those jumper cables that the other show uses.

It might be that they don't have time to do that at Kleinfeld's because of the volume of customers they are trying to move in and out on any given day!   

Gok seems to enjoy designing dresses on the fly.   I do wish that Gok would step away from the deep 'V-neck' gowns on everybody.  That one lady tried on 3 different dresses in similar styles, but they all looked the same to me.  I could barely tell them apart!  I guess if that's what women are asking for, then he's got to go with what they want.  

• Love 4
15 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

I’m sorry to have gotten disillusioned with Randy the past few seasons. (snip) I’m so over his exact same act with every show.  I’m tired of “hello, beautiful”

Me too!  The look on his "Hello, Beautiful," face is always SO INSINCERE!  When I caught Peter's, "Hello, Gorgeous," I thought...Here we go again!

• Love 4
22 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

I’m tired of “hello, beautiful” and the constant fake drama.....

I don't mind that he addresses the brides this way.  It's probably a lot easier than trying to remember all of their names!  I think it's a nice way of putting the brides at ease too.  I agree about the fake drama though.  When you've watched a show like this for a long time, it's the little things that can get annoying!  I'm just glad to have Randy back in the salon.  He said he was tired of using the laptop to interact with everybody.  He said something like he was tired of ending up on people's laps.  There's no telling what he saw on his end of the video chat!!  

• Love 4

I don't mind that he addresses the brides this way.  It's probably a lot easier than trying to remember all of their names! 

If the consultant is introducing the bride to Randy, he can wait a beat or two...listen to the bride's name and use it.  "Hello, Beautiful," is generic and insincere--the way he says it.

P.S.  I do like him and am also GLAD HE'S BACK.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 3

Now I want Randy to be like “hello you” to all the brides. 😂 No “beautiful” in the bunch.

KloneKardashian sister was annoying. And acting. I hope the consultants get extra for the show, because wasting hours on these wanna be reality tv people must be annoying and unprofitable.

Happy to see Randy out of the iPad and back in real life. Feather bride was cute, and I loved her gift, but when her whole entourage also were “designers”, it got a bit OTT. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, dbell1 said:

I hope the consultants get extra for the show, because wasting hours on these wanna be reality tv people must be annoying and unprofitable.

now this is a great question. I suspect that they do not get anything extra because they singed the contracts to be on tv and could parlay that into a side hustle of endorsing random things. Maybe they are getting a small check from TLC but Ron and company who own Klinefields are not dishing out any more funds.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:49 PM, ChitChat said:

I think that most "plain" dresses can be very classy and elegant, and look great on the right bride.  However, there have been some plain dresses that just seemed to have no personality to them and do nothing for the person wearing them!  For example, the fashion designer bride on tonight's episode seemed to sparkle in the Beyonce dress.  I understand that she was concerned about the lack of structure with the dress.  The non-embellished one she really liked was pretty, but it didn't seem to fit her personality.  It looked good on her body type though.   

I just got around to watching the latest episode.  I don't dislike dresses with embellishments. I've seen lace ones that I've loved and ones with bling that I love, but I tend to lean towards the plain ones when I see them on tv or in pictures.  It's quite possible that I would hate the way they looked on me and end up going for a fancier one.  As for this bride, I do think she looked better in the lace ones than the plain white one, but I wasn't crazy about that dress anyway (I hate mermaid gowns), so I may have found her stunning in another white one of a different style.  I can understand her indecision, though.  I'd have a hard time decided between two dresses that I loved.  I'm so glad Randy was kind enough to tell her that it was ok to not choose his dress.  It must be hard to say you don't like a gown when the person who designed it is right there.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, readheaded said:

I’m watching tonight’s episode and it’s a beyond lame compilation of the brides from the relatively few episodes this season. I didn’t want to see most of them the first time, much less already in a recap. 

The only part I enjoyed were the two clips from a few years ago of the army bride and Randy's mom on a motorcycle.

"The only part I enjoyed were the two clips from a few years ago of the army bride and Randy's mom on a motorcycle."

I thought I remembered a controversy about that military bride - found this article from the Washington Post. (She certainly seems to like publicity.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2016/03/21/who-is-the-woman-who-was-offered-a-job-by-donald-trump-in-the-middle-of-his-press-conference/

I then saw that that she filed a lawsuit, which was dismissed, against WaPo for defamation.  
I guess there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, kirklandia said:

I thought I remembered a controversy about that military bride - found this article from the Washington Post. (She certainly seems to like publicity.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2016/03/21/who-is-the-woman-who-was-offered-a-job-by-donald-trump-in-the-middle-of-his-press-conference/

I then saw that that she filed a lawsuit, which was dismissed, against WaPo for defamation.  

SURELY, there's a place for her on TLC.   Can she get a 90-Day Fiance`?  Can she be a CHEAP shopper?  Can she gain enough to qualify for Dr. Now's weight-loss surgery?  Does she have a major (UGLY) foot problem?  Something...give her something.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/15/2021 at 11:03 PM, Cherpumple said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was aghast at Peter's outfit. Aside from the tie, it was the sheerness of the shirt fabric that got me. I liked his personality, but he needs to do better on the clothes.

I'd like to see Peter's TRUE personality ... not something he puts on at the clubs ... or exaggerates for television.  He's a good-looking guy who has either observed or received the WRONG INFORMATION.  Mirroring?

9 hours ago, kirklandia said:

"The only part I enjoyed were the two clips from a few years ago of the army bride and Randy's mom on a motorcycle."

Yes, she’s largely a fraud who’s told a ton of refutable tales, which made me wonder why they’d even include her in a recent episode. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/22/2021 at 10:20 AM, carolinagirl81 said:

now this is a great question. I suspect that they do not get anything extra because they singed the contracts to be on tv and could parlay that into a side hustle of endorsing random things. Maybe they are getting a small check from TLC but Ron and company who own Klinefields are not dishing out any more funds.

Interesting question indeed.

The filmed segments take much longer than a standard Kleinfeld appointment which I think is just over an hour. Filming for a segment takes all day. 

Perhaps the time commitment is why they feature more consultants than they did in the earlier seasons when they featured a relatively small number of consultants. Someone might be willing to work for no pay to be on television for one day but one might feel a bit exploited after a while. 

Randy makes about $3 million per season from what I have read. 

Not relevant to this discussion but here is an article which I found interesting on the Kleinfeld consultant who deals with "modest" brides - mostly Orthodox Jewish but also a few Mormons. I don't know if she is still around since the article is from 2015 but they must still have someone since it would be a lucrative niche. In the first season there was one Orthodox Jewish bride who did have her dressed modified 

https://www.racked.com/2015/6/3/8711481/kleinfeld-bridal-modest-wedding-dresses

7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

SURELY, there's a place for her on TLC.   Can she get a 90-Day Fiance`?  Can she be a CHEAP shopper?  Can she gain enough to qualify for Dr. Now's weight-loss surgery?  Does she have a major (UGLY) foot problem?  Something...give her something.

Maybe TLC can start a "stolen valor" franchise. She'd be a perfect fit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Recap episode usually signals the end of the season. I don't see a new one on the upcoming schedule. And last week was the final England episode. Those were filmed in 2019 and then the UK was strictly locked down for months. Who knows when/if we'll see more. So looks like no more SYTTD for a while.