Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, magemaud said:

I thought hairy chests have been out of style for quite a while 

While clean chests are probably still more commonly "in style," having chest hair is also trendy.

2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

After the consultant brought in a group of dresses that she hated, I think she should've walked the bride through the stockroom to see if she could point out what she liked.

Yeah.  I think my "Monique looks miserable" goes beyond just her dress.  Something felt off.

For the new England episode today, I hated "princess dress" mother but that silhouette did look gorgeous on the bride.

The silhouette also looked gorgeous for the other bride where it was form fitting but I think I preferred her first dress, boobage and all, to the one she selected.

11 hours ago, gingerella said:

Not a fan of Peter, the new salesperson. He’s too much about himself and not  the brides.

Exactly!  I don't think Peter will be there long.  Wait!  I hope Peter won't be there long.

11 hours ago, gingerella said:

I don’t care that you had to wear a tie and shirt at your old work, I don’t want you helping me with your shirt open to your mid chest

Peatah, Peatah, Peatah ... do you see ANY WORK COLLEAGUES with plunging necklines?  NO!  It's poor taste in workwear--unless you're at a bar. YOURS is the epitome of poor taste.  You're a distraction...to the brides, their families...and your J-O-B!  Find another path to showbiz.

10 hours ago, magemaud said:

I thought those loose, floppy strips of bedazzled cloth looked dumb. 

That style always looks to me like a strap that's too loose--an alteration fail.  It's not okay  to call the style "off the shoulder."  Call them BICEPSTRAPS.  Can we even raise our arms in some of those styles?   THIS seems more off-the-shoulder (technically).image.png.607d0288fc718112d68090d221f5e80f.png 

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

It’s amazing that Christie turned out so grounded and normal in spite of having such an odd mother.

But, Koalagirl, are you not impressed by the mother's ability to feel energy in everything--even fabric?  Christie is great!

Will she continue pronouncing her new last name (Hutton) the way she does "button"?

(Christie lucked out with the mother-in-law-.  Hope the relationship stays cool.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Will she continue pronouncing her new last name (Hutton) the way she does "button"?

I kept hearing  'buh-un.'   :)

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

While clean chests are probably still more commonly "in style," having chest hair is also trendy.

I prefer a hairy chest to a shaved one, but he looked too casual for his surroundings.  

• Love 3
On 9/7/2021 at 5:39 PM, carolinagirl81 said:

Also you can dang near get a custom/ cotutor(sp?) dress. I'll never understand when someone with an "unlimited" budget doesn't go directly to a designer like Vera Wang or Amsale.  I wouldn't go off the rack "basic" to Klinefeld's 

A vlogger a few years ago did a video about her couture wedding dresses from Philippa Lepley, the dresses were first mocked up in muslin so they coudl make any changes, check the fit etc and then were made again in the more expensive materials. Its like night and day between that and Kleinfeld, Kleinfeld you're just buying a new off the rack dress in a size fairly close to your measurements and then having it altered. IMHO Kleinfeld make a big deal about things not being off the rack simply because of how expensive it would be for them to stock loads of gowns in different sizes that may go unsold.

If I had a large/unlimited budget and enough time I would definitely go the real couture route rather than go to Kleinfeld

• Love 3
1 hour ago, maggiegil said:

Kleinfeld you're just buying a new off the rack dress in a size fairly close to your measurements and then having it altered.

I thought brides tried on sample dresses they liked which might require a back extender or clips, then they are measured and the dress is ordered in the size that corresponds most to their measurements. Finally, when the dress arrives at the salon, they are altered to fit perfectly. That's why it takes several months to get your dress "in" at the store, but they also have a supply of dresses (leftovers? unclaimed orders? prior seasons?) that you can buy off the rack if you're lucky enough to find one alterable to your size and you can get it right away. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I thought brides tried on sample dresses they liked which might require a back extender or clips, then they are measured and the dress is ordered in the size that corresponds most to their measurements.

This is my understanding too.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, maggiegil said:

Its like night and day between that and Kleinfeld, Kleinfeld you're just buying a new off the rack dress in a size fairly close to your measurements and then having it altered. IMHO Kleinfeld make a big deal about things not being off the rack simply because of how expensive it would be for them to stock loads of gowns in different sizes that may go unsold.

If I had a large/unlimited budget and enough time I would definitely go the real couture route rather than go to Kleinfeld

@magemaud is right that they're trying on sample dresses and then they'll order the dress from the manufacturer/manufacturer's factory.  If they need something they can get quickly, take home or need a discount, they can buy leftovers or even the samples if the store is willing to sell them (like if the design is close to being last season.)

A lot of the brides who say they have an "unlimited budget" really don't. They just have enough to cover what most wedding dresses would cost.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Peatah, Peatah, Peatah ... do you see ANY WORK COLLEAGUES with plunging necklines?  NO!  It's poor taste in workwear--unless you're at a bar. YOURS is the epitome of poor taste.  You're a distraction...

You must have missed the blond consultant Peter spoke to at the start of his day. I think it was Chrissie or Christie, was too distracted by her boob that was hanging out.

I didn't understand the economics of the English bride who bought an expensive sample dress which needed expensive alterations. I think the dress was 3000 pounds and she got it for about 1900 pounds which was a discount of about 1100 pounds.

I think at one point very basic alterations at Kleinfeld were about $400 or $500 but anything more than just adjusting the bust and shortening would be significantly more. 

I can't imagine that kind of major alteration would be much less than 1000 pounds and - at least in my experience - when something needs that much alteration the end result can be hit or miss. I lost a lot of weight and had some very expensive clothing which I paid a lot to alter but the end result left a lot to be desired and I should have just donated the stuff.

My understanding of ordering wedding dresses are that they are somewhat custom. For example, a lot of dresses have details that would be lost if the dress was shortened or the sleeves weren't right. If you have a mermaid or other dress, it has to flare at the right spot and the bottom has to be proportional or else it would look ridiculous.  The waist has to hit at the right spot etc.

The samples are cut for very tall women. So it not just ordering a size 6 dress from the manufacturer. It is ordering a dress that is cut to fit someone with specific measurements. 

• Love 1

What I didnt understand about the religious bride was that she was so set on being a ~whatever designer bride but never clued into the fact that said designer's dresses were all low cut, cut outs, over the top when she wanted something covered up? And she was surprised she didn't like any of them? 

despise the current off the shoulder trend in all clothing. I hated cold shoulder and now off the shoulder. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, weightyghost said:

despise the current off the shoulder trend in all clothing. I hated cold shoulder and now off the shoulder. 

THANK you!   My best friend looks good--very good for our age (81), but I've told her too many times that cold shoulder was bad fashion when Donna Karan did some in the 90s.  Off-the-shoulder is an old style...this new "off the shoulder" is ridikilisss!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, weightyghost said:

What I didnt understand about the religious bride was that she was so set on being a ~whatever designer bride but never clued into the fact that said designer's dresses were all low cut, cut outs, over the top when she wanted something covered up? And she was surprised she didn't like any of them? 

And the dress she ended up with certainly was very low cut, especially since that was what she said she didn't want.  Hanging out there for a church ceremony.

36 minutes ago, cameron said:

Just looked up the Pantora bridal colleclion.  She is giving Pinina a run for the money in who come design the sluttiest lookin bridal gown.

Aww damn now I've gotta go google..

Okay, not that bad IMO. And tame compared to stripper fairy Pinina IMO

Edited by carolinagirl81
I googled
38 minutes ago, cameron said:

Just looked up the Pantora bridal colleclion.  She is giving Pinina a run for the money in who come design the sluttiest lookin bridal gown.

I think the WTF is that she has a woman with breasts like cow udders modeling bridal gowns that are low cut and have no support so that fugly look of sagging breasts is evidently something that she is aspiring to.

I don't get it as a look. When well endowed women do a red carpet look with low cut dresses, they are generally well supported in some way - they aren't hanging like limp soggy bags. So they might be showing a lot of cleavage but it is plump and juicy rather than saggy with the dress just kind of hanging in there. I don't follow Kim Kardashian that closely but she is someone who has big breasts and exposes them but they are generally upright and not hanging even when she is wearing extremely revealing clothing.

Am I missing something in terms of a style trend?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cameron said:

1 hour ago, amarante said:

I think the WTF is that she has a woman with breasts like cow udders modeling bridal gowns that are low cut and have no support so that fugly look of sagging breasts is evidently something that she is aspiring to.

I don't get it as a look. When well endowed women do a red carpet look with low cut dresses, they are generally well supported in some way

This is something I've noticed a lot this season. It's always been a bit of a problem on original recipe SYTTD since there are so many young women who seemed to think looking like they were stuffed into a sausage casing was attractive. But this year, even some of Gok's brides who had an average bust size could have benefitted from some support garments and not just relied on what was in the dress, IMO.  

I also don't understand why so many of the Pantora dresses are so tight, unless the new style is to let the guests at your wedding know if your belly button is an innie or an outie.  

Edited by rur
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I didn’t understand the religious mother in law saying her son prefers to see a little thigh .How would you know that? I certainly wouldn’t ask my son what parts he prefers to see on his new bride. I think this bride picked a certain designer but then didn’t like any of her dresses.

It seems lately that the brides feel like they have to pick something from a limited number of dresses even if they don’t like them. I also hate the straps hanging off the arms, that would drive me crazy to wear.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, amarante said:

Dang me and my cow udders ( H/I cup size over here) will be in the corner drinking a bottle of red wine... LMAO! I think a lot of younger women are not aware of proper foundation garments such as a long line bra that can give the support need for some strapless dresses. 

Also thanks to fashion nova and what i like to call their bbl fresh collections bigger busted women are going bra free when they imo should wear proper under garments.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I didn’t understand the religious mother in law saying her son prefers to see a little thigh .How would you know that? I certainly wouldn’t ask my son what parts he prefers to see on his new bride.

I thought the MIL was indicating that she was not going to be quite as critical as the mother. 

• Love 2

Pantora is an African American led design house. That may be draw for the religious bride. The 'body con' look is a total miss for me. I think weddings should reflect the romance of the couple, not 'how hot & flashy can the bride be'...Being too revealing makes everyone uncomfortable. Look back on those pictures with your children in 15 years...lots to think about when buying a gown.

I enjoy Gok's brides. He is so thoughtful when picking dresses. "Laura" the tomboy bride had no clue...she was stunning. And her dad had the prettiest smile.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I didn’t understand the religious mother in law saying her son prefers to see a little thigh .How would you know that? I certainly wouldn’t ask my son what parts he prefers to see on his new bride.

I have sons (only sons) who will be 55 and 53 next month.  I don't think I'd ever ASK what parts they prefer...but I've heard PLENTY from them and their friends since they were kids.  I know which son was a "legs and butt" man and which preferred "a nice chest."  Still, as a M-I-L invited to shop for a wedding dress, I'd keep my trap shut and compliment the bride where warranted.  Only compliments.  Too many mothers spout too many negatives.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, rur said:

This is something I've noticed a lot this season. It's always been a bit of a problem on original recipe SYTTD since there are so many young women who seemed to think looking like they were stuffed into a sausage casing was attractive. But this year, even some of Gok's brides who had an average bust size could have benefitted from some support garments and not just relied on what was in the dress, IMO.  

I also don't understand why so many of the Pantora dresses are so tight, unless the new style is to let the guests at your wedding know if your belly button is an innie or an outie.  

Always think that they look like stuffed sausages..

• Love 1

Sad face mom must have been an act? No one can be that negative and mopey all the time. Talk about throwing off negativity. Could they not get her coffee or uppers or something?

New hairy chest consultant can dance off into the sunset. 

• Love 5
On 9/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, CrazyMoon said:

Pantora is an African American led design house.

The designer was on season 2 of Making the Cut, so it's interesting to see her styles in play here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Religious bride's face was the definition of a RBF.  I couldn't get past how she constantly appeared as if she had smelled something nasty.  I'm in agreement with the rest of you, I don't think she loved that dress.  Didn't Randy comment that the appointment had gone on for 4 HOURS?

Peter is trying too hard to be the next big "star" on this show.  He definitely seems to believe he is something special, and has the attention focused on him, rather than the bride.  At the end of the appointment, didn't he sort of congratulate himself on how good he was at helping her rather than simply being pleased that the bride was really happy?

• Love 1

I would think a white shirt and black trousers would be a fairly business neutral look for men at a store like Kleinfeld. We've certainly seen some inappropriate all-black outfits on some of the women over the years. (I would expect to see a tie tied, though, and not used as an accessory.) I think it's far more appropriate that some of the stuff we saw Shea wearing. 

And like @rereader2, I'm willing to give him a pass on attitude right now. He's only had one client onscreen so far. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I'm surprised Peter was allowed to wear a white shirt. Next week seems to feature the return of Randy to Kleinfeld's in person. Maybe he'll gently advise Peter to button up.

IF Peter is even still there.

• LOL 4
On 9/12/2021 at 12:16 PM, Irlandesa said:

Chest hair may be trendy if you're working as a lifeguard at the pool, it is never trendy on the job otherwise.  Just as the female consultants keep the cleavage to a minimum, so should the males.  They are there to serve the public, not hitting the clubs.  He could've buttoned up a couple of buttons and looked much more professional.  As far as the tie, that's up to him and his boss.  If the boss says 'wear a tie', then wear one.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ynicknan said:

I loved Peter! I used to work at a high end store and guys like Peter made a killing on commissions. I thought he read the bride and her needs really well. Huh, guess I’m the sole dissenter. 

I like Peter too. He has great enthusiasm and do feel he read the bride correctly...and she went home very happy even with her ridiculous Mama...

• Love 3
On 9/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, carolinagirl81 said:

Dang me and my cow udders ( H/I cup size over here) will be in the corner drinking a bottle of red wine... LMAO! I think a lot of younger women are not aware of proper foundation garments such as a long line bra that can give the support need for some strapless dresses. 

Also thanks to fashion nova and what i like to call their bbl fresh collections bigger busted women are going bra free when they imo should wear proper under garments.

Kleinfeld's has an entire section devoted to appropriate underpinnings for bridal gowns.  I wish they would take some of their big busted clients over there BEFORE putting them into a gown or even show them before and after so they could see how much better the dress looks with the proper garments underneath.  Same thing for the bride with a big tummy or cellulite on her hips.  A nice pair of Spanx makes a world of difference.

Of course, out in the real world, it seems like a lot of women either prefer not to wear support garments or think they look great without them even when they don't.  I suppose many of these brides are used to flowing out of their tops and wearing spandex leggings instead of pants with every dimple showing.  If they're used to the look, they might think they look terrific as is, even in a wedding gown.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Kleinfeld's has an entire section devoted to appropriate underpinnings for bridal gowns.  I wish they would take some of their big busted clients over there BEFORE putting them into a gown or even show them before and after so they could see how much better the dress looks with the proper garments underneath.  Same thing for the bride with a big tummy or cellulite on her hips.  A nice pair of Spanx makes a world of difference.

Have the producers no clue?  That would make GOOD TV !!!  (and more $$$ for everyone... those who sell and those who buy)

2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I suppose many of these brides are used to flowing out of their tops and wearing spandex leggings instead of pants with every dimple showing. 

And so many overweight...REALLY overweight (I'm 80# over) younger women seem to truly believe that they look good in anything--no body-shaming for them.  They CAN look good, just not wearing the same things their Size Two sisters do.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ynicknan said:

I loved Peter! I used to work at a high end store and guys like Peter made a killing on commissions.

I have friends and RELATIVES who can act like Peter (it's his schtick) ... great fun--successful, BUT they know when and where to TONE IT DOWN.  Peter will be the go-to salesperson of VERY FEW Kleinfeld's customers. (Those who appear on TV are a different sort.)

I didn't mind Peter's personality, but the look!  Hairy chest or not, that's a sexy end of a night after a formal party look, not something I want to see at a serious business.  I thought it made him look a bit pretentious, whether his is or not, and I'm really surprised that Kleinfelds is ok with it (I'm surprised they are ok with a lot of the outfits worn by their sales reps, to be honest).  I might have been able to accept it if it weren't for the stupid tie.  The entire time, though, I couldn't stop thinking this Beverly Hills Cop scene from 22-46 seconds:

And, across the pond to Gok and co.  I'm catching up on episodes and I just watched the one with Raven, the cancer survivor.  I felt so bad for her lack of self confidence because of what she'd been through because I thought she was beautiful.  That hairstyle suited her and her fashion style so much.  Every dress she tried on was perfect, although, I did like the one she chose.

Finally, I'm convinced I must be boring as hell because most of the dresses I prefer are the "plain" ones, as most people on either show describe them.   The pure white from head to toe, whatever the style--I think they're so classy and elegant looking. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Finally, I'm convinced I must be boring as hell because most of the dresses I prefer are the "plain" ones, as most people on either show describe them

Decades later, THOSE will be the ones considered "beautiful" in photos.  The most popular dresses from the 80s and almost laugh-inspiring.

• Love 5

One of the dresses on England looked like it came straight out of the '50s.

Kleinfeld's requires consultants wear only black, hence the surprise at Peter's white shirt. Unless they've changed the rules. Also nothing they've worn have phased me. *Shrug* It's New York. At least department stores in the tri-state area no longer have one giant dressing room where you have to undress in front of everyone else.

36 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

At least department stores in the tri-state area no longer have one giant dressing room where you have to undress in front of everyone else.

We had a Loehmann's in Phoenix for a couple of years several years ago--very upscale shopping area.  We'd all heard that women undressed/dressed in the same giant dressing room, but to walk in there and...

• SEE it
  • TRY it

was a shock.  Descriptions hadn't helped.