Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Eh - nothing really amazing with this episode. The Pronovias dress was beautiful but I don’t think it was particularly flattering on this bride. Maybe it will look better when she’s in the proper size. She’s a thin attractive woman but that dress made her look hippy. I’ve seen those kinds of cutouts accentuate curves in a good way, but they didn’t hit her in the right spot. 

I thought the same thing.  It probably will look much better when it's fitted to her properly.

So we didn't need to watch the whole season, we just had to watch that clip show. For the last episode, did either bride give a budget? I did think the Grace/Leia/Elvira dress was perfect for her. And her entourage seemed normal. The other bride, smh. It was creepy how much her mother wanted her to look sexy.

I was sitting there thinking....well, Carrie Fisher's mom probably knew Grace Kelly and Grace was not exactly "Princess Grace" when she was in Hollywood. I'm fairly sure I've seen pictures of Carrie with Elvira so....yeah, I could see them in the same room. 

The dress worked for me - those cutouts reminded me of the embroidery on Leia's outfit on Cloud City and the white surely worked. 

I laughed when Fitter Dude said "she won't even know something was wrong" - she does now!

The mom was a pain in the other session and she looked vaguely familiar for some reason...

16 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

The other bride, smh. It was creepy how much her mother wanted her to look sexy.

I didn't hear any mention of a budget for Alexandra, but since she was looking only at Pninas as her SECOND dress to go with her $4K+ shoes, I figured money wasn't an issue. But that kind of surprised me since I didn't think her mother looked wealthy. 

2 hours ago, amarante said:

Of interest (perhaps) to those of us who would watch the English show that ran after the Kleinfeld show last season - the one with Gok as a presenter.

I saw a book called Gok Cooks Chinese and I thought that has to be "the" Gok - it's such a unique name. It was his cookbook and seems like a great cookbook. Relatively easy recipes but not dumbed down and also not Americanized (or in his case Britishized) in terms of the kind of Panda Express style of food with too much sugar and fat.

His father owned a Chinese restaurant in the UK and Gok worked there. Gok also had some cooking shows in the UK - found that out by googling. I had no idea. 

I liked Gok on the English show especially when he transformed dresses. Obviously a person of his stature is not working at a small bridal salon but I didn't mean that unrealistic aspect of the show.

Anyway if anyone is looking for some new recipes, you can do far worse than Gok's book. I googled and found these to give some idea of the kind of recipes you would find in his book.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/books/gok-cooks-chinese

The recipes look delicious and are not at all complicated...I don't always want to pay for take out...and these dishes would be fabulous substitutes

1 hour ago, amarante said:

She was marrying a professional basketball player and I assumed he was paying for everything.  

Wasn’t there a professional basketball player bride on the Atlanta’s version whose financial situation shows what happens when these guys think nothing of paying 4K for shoes that will be worn once????

5 hours ago, magemaud said:

Would that make her a madam? 

It was really creepy when Alexandra said, “My mother isn’t your typical mother. She likes me to dress sexy.”

Edited to add another thought: Since that's her Alexandra's reception dress, how on earth is she going to enjoy dancing with the front cut down to her navel and all that fabric dragging on the floor? 

Do you mean the dress on Emily who was totally covered with children’s coloring book style tattoos? That’s all I could see when she put on the dress 

Madam runs the house, while the Pimp usually puts them on the street in those revealing outfits.  That's what I pick Pimp.  Maybe I should say Pimpess.

Edited by cameron
  • LOL 2
33 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Wasn’t there a professional basketball player bride on the Atlanta’s version whose financial situation shows what happens when these guys think nothing of paying 4K for shoes that will be worn once????

There are so many stories of pros winding up with very little money - for a variety of reasons. Some are profligate; some are actively bamboozled and advised to make terrible investments.

I know very little about the economics of professional sports but I do remember from the first season of Real Housewives of Atlanta that basketball players have better contracts than football players and so they are less likely to wind up sidelined with no career after two years and no pension.

Of course a fool and his money - this guy didn't seem to be a superstar so it doesn't seem as if blowing $100,000 or so on a wedding reception is a wise economic decision. I am just making up figures based on the *bride* needing two obviously expensive bridal gowns as I would extrapolate that lots of money was being spent foolishly by someone who didn't appear to have the kind of superstar career that merited those kinds of expenditures.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, amarante said:

Of course a fool and his money - this guy didn't seem to be a superstar so it doesn't seem as if blowing $100,000 or so on a wedding reception is a wise economic decision. I am just making up figures based on the *bride* needing two obviously expensive bridal gowns as I would extrapolate that lots of money was being spent foolishly by someone who didn't appear to have the kind of superstar career that merited those kinds of expenditures.

To me, he didn’t appear especially tall for a basketball player

• Love 2

I was happy to see the wedding of the bow dress tattooed bride. I liked that dress a lot when we first saw it, and personally i love her style. The wedding had a simple but pretty feel. 

Alexandra had her wedding to the NBA player in August, but apparently it was downsized / moved from the original plan due to covid. Still too many people there IMO but that’s another issue.

Don’t love her ceremony dress (which is illusion). Sexy lace isn’t my fave. As much as she seems to me to have a charmed life, it can’t be easy to have such a pushy mom even though “... we’re best friends” . 

Maybe I’m just weird but I like my best friends to be best friends and my mom to be my mom. I love my mom and we get along great but I wouldn’t ever call her my best friend because she’s my mom. That said, I have included my pet in my best friend list which other people may think weird so I’ll just shut up now. Lol. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, Refresh said:

I was happy to see the wedding of the bow dress tattooed bride. I liked that dress a lot when we first saw it, and personally i love her style. The wedding had a simple but pretty feel. 

Alexandra had her wedding to the NBA player in August, but apparently it was downsized / moved from the original plan due to covid. Still too many people there IMO but that’s another issue.

Don’t love her ceremony dress (which is illusion). Sexy lace isn’t my fave. As much as she seems to me to have a charmed life, it can’t be easy to have such a pushy mom even though “... we’re best friends” . 

It looks like she's wearing a nightgown with a girdle underneath it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

It looks like she's wearing a nightgown with a girdle underneath it.

And very similar to the Pnina's she kept trying on...she didn't need two dresses...just a trend follower, so nothing special...Emily gets my vote for the "bride of the episode"...for all that those tattoos are a mess...They clearly are stupidly in love (yah!) and the wedding was simple & beautiful.

As for Alexandra, the league minimum salary in the NBA is $893k per year...If he's smart 10% can give anyone the wedding of their dreams, 30% is invested, and the rest can go toward living large....however, I can live comfortably large on less than $200k at that level so I'd invest half.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, amarante said:

There are so many stories of pros winding up with very little money - for a variety of reasons. Some are profligate; some are actively bamboozled and advised to make terrible investments.

I know very little about the economics of professional sports but I do remember from the first season of Real Housewives of Atlanta that basketball players have better contracts than football players and so they are less likely to wind up sidelined with no career after two years and no pension.

Of course a fool and his money - this guy didn't seem to be a superstar so it doesn't seem as if blowing $100,000 or so on a wedding reception is a wise economic decision.

There are also athletes who didn't grow up with the habits of having money--their families might have been poor and lived pay check to pay check so things like savings account, developing credit is something that can take practice.

But a middle class family who might not be rich probably did grew up with these concepts. 

Anyway, one splurge or two doesn't usually bankrupt the athletes.  It's the constant spending for themselves and others.  If people are going to splurge, I get why they'd select a wedding to do it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, magemaud said:

I thought Alexandra told Diane that she wanted her reception dress to be the "exact opposite" of her ceremony gown? This isn't what I was imagining at all! 

They showed a photo of her ceremony gown. It wasn’t that dress so I don’t know what happened. Did she have 3 dresses?  

According to her InstaStory she hasn’t worn the Jimmy Choos yet. So I wonder if this dress was for the ceremony and the dress photo we saw on the show and the one she bought are for some future party after Covid. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Refresh said:

Maybe I’m just weird but I like my best friends to be best friends and my mom to be my mom. I love my mom and we get along great but I wouldn’t ever call her my best friend because she’s my mom. That said, I have included my pet in my best friend list which other people may think weird so I’ll just shut up now. Lol. 

Ceremony dress also looks like a Pimp dress.

9 hours ago, amarante said:

Of interest (perhaps) to those of us who would watch the English show that ran after the Kleinfeld show last season - the one with Gok as a presenter.

I saw a book called Gok Cooks Chinese and I thought that has to be "the" Gok - it's such a unique name. It was his cookbook and seems like a great cookbook. Relatively easy recipes but not dumbed down and also not Americanized (or in his case Britishized) in terms of the kind of Panda Express style of food with too much sugar and fat.

His father owned a Chinese restaurant in the UK and Gok worked there. Gok also had some cooking shows in the UK - found that out by googling. I had no idea. 

I liked Gok on the English show especially when he transformed dresses. Obviously a person of his stature is not working at a small bridal salon but I didn't mean that unrealistic aspect of the show.

Anyway if anyone is looking for some new recipes, you can do far worse than Gok's book. I googled and found these to give some idea of the kind of recipes you would find in his book.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/books/gok-cooks-chinese

He's also been doing an Asian cooking show on UK tv that he filmed during lockdown, the episodes are available on youtube

Edited by maggiegil
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Refresh said:

Omg going through those pictures I’m saying “get away from each other!” to the bridesmaids! 

There was a wedding not far from me in Maine that only had 62 guests. After contact tracing it has been linked to 150 cases and 3 deaths. Crazy...I can’t imagine you wouldn’t feel major guilt that you didn’t just postpone your wedding. Maine has had very low cases and deaths so maybe they assumed it would be fine. 

Edited by jenifaohjenny
Typo
  • Love 2

The tiara didn't fit her head. It was a pretty dress but I didn't care for it.

Do you mean the dress on Emily who was totally covered with children’s coloring book style tattoos?

Yeaaaaah, I'm not against tattoos in principal. I am however, against ugly tattoos. And those really were.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, CrazyMoon said:

As for Alexandra, the league minimum salary in the NBA is $893k per year...If he's smart 10% can give anyone the wedding of their dreams, 30% is invested, and the rest can go toward living large....however, I can live comfortably large on less than $200k at that level so I'd invest half.

Not to take this away from bridal gowns, but a player's net is going to be considerably less than that - He has at least a 10% agent fee; taxes and legal/accounting/business management fees.

The reason why so many athletes (and musicians/actors) wind up broke is they get their high income quickly when they are young. They aren't more irresponsible than other young people but they generally are not able to sustain their income over their lifetime so they need to be especially wise in terms of figuring out how to manage their money for the short period of time when they are getting paid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, amarante said:

Not to take this away from bridal gowns, but a player's net is going to be considerably less than that - He has at least a 10% agent fee; taxes and legal/accounting/business management fees.

The reason why so many athletes (and musicians/actors) wind up broke is they get their high income quickly when they are young. They aren't more irresponsible than other young people but they generally are not able to sustain their income over their lifetime so they need to be especially wise in terms of figuring out how to manage their money for the short period of time when they are getting paid.

He seems to be more of a journeyman player.  Every year a different team.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, cameron said:

Very possible...and he still needs to learn how to manage his money. My oldest grandson is on major league baseball radar, so already he's being taught how to manage money and be smart about it...If it works out, he'll start with >$500k per season (that's what the utility guy who sits on the bench most of the time earns)...even after all the deductions he'll have more money than any 21yo would know what to do with...not including ridiculous signing bonuses or other 'perks'...The average major league baseball career is about 8 years...he'll need to invest at least $100k per season so that at the end of his career his future is guaranteed...

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, cameron said:

He also doesn’t seem to be in the NBA anymore. His most recent team is in Europe. Hopefully they have taken into account the fact that his playing days are numbered and the NBA checks are no more. 

23 minutes ago, CrazyMoon said:

Very possible...and he still needs to learn how to manage his money. My oldest grandson is on major league baseball radar, so already he's being taught how to manage money and be smart about it...If it works out, he'll start with >$500k per season (that's what the utility guy who sits on the bench most of the time earns)...even after all the deductions he'll have more money than any 21yo would know what to do with...not including ridiculous signing bonuses or other 'perks'...The average major league baseball career is about 8 years...he'll need to invest at least $100k per season so that at the end of his career his future is guaranteed...

That was really my point. The high income is going to be limited unless the player is extremely fortunate.

Therefore their "real" income isn't really the high amount in the same way that someone who earns that salary as part of their adult job can budget. In other words, a doctor who earns $500,000 a year is likely to earn that income for 30 or more years and will probably see income increase through the years. An athlete is not going to be making that income until they are 65 and therefore needs to figure out how to be the ant instead of the grasshopper.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, CrazyMoon said:

Look him up on the internet.  He bounces from team to team.  Finally had ended up in Europe.  That's the death nell for NBA players.  Hopefully, he has put some money away.

• Love 2
On 9/13/2020 at 5:28 PM, maggiegil said:

He's also been doing an Asian cooking show on UK tv that he filmed during lockdown, the episodes are available on youtube

I found Gok's cookbook....it will be here next week...I looked up the recipes online....they look killer. I'm making the twice cooked pork tonight...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CrazyMoon said:

It was delicious

Not to go wildly off topic of dresses but I could tell from reading the recipes in his book that they would be good and a lot of them were not crazy hard. I'm not about to start making dim sum 🙂 but almost all of the recipes seemed geared to a home cook.

4 hours ago, amarante said:

Not to go wildly off topic of dresses but I could tell from reading the recipes in his book that they would be good and a lot of them were not crazy hard. I'm not about to start making dim sum 🙂 but almost all of the recipes seemed geared to a home cook.

For sure...ingredients aren't particularly expensive either...I do Chinese food frequently because it's so easy...dim sum isn't difficult, but it is time consuming.. I live near Chinatown so it's easier to go over there to get it. 
image.png.deffe5b1980ebc74aedd0928a2721936.png
Back to dresses! I'm a huge fan for Hayley Paige....her tone on tone organza fabric has been my favorite for ages

• Love 1

Watching the Atlanta version, the ep with the bride who had her heart set on a, like, 5-year-old gown Lori’s shop no longer carried & Maddie from the country music duo Maddie & Tae picking out bridesmaids’ dresses. I have 1 question: What the heck kinda spelling for a name (besides a bad 1, in my opinion) is BRIEAWNA (she was a new consultant, I think working with the bride looking for the 5-year-old gown)?

3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

What the heck kinda spelling for a name (besides a bad 1, in my opinion) is BRIEAWNA (she was a new consultant, I think working with the bride looking for the 5-year-old gown)?

When I was about 13, I saw Diahann Carroll on an afternoon talk show and thought the spelling of her name was the coolest thing ever. I spent a good couple of weeks making a list  of unusual spellings of common names for my future kids. Then I outgrew it. Now I attribute most unusual spellings that aren't stage names to people who can't spell or people who never outgrew their fascination with "the opposite of what others would do." If this makes me sound curmudgeonly, oh well. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

What the heck kinda spelling for a name (besides a bad 1, in my opinion) is BRIEAWNA

I cannot fathom why parents do this to their kids.  They face a lifelong struggle with correcting spelling or correcting pronunciation of those crazy names.  It's cruel.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I cannot fathom why parents do this to their kids.  They face a lifelong struggle with correcting spelling or correcting pronunciation of those crazy names.  It's cruel.

My kids have an unusual (to American ears) European last name...my daughter has a first name that goes very well with this exotic last name...but has multiple spelling options...I chose the simple one...yet it gets butchered routinely. She was taught from a very young age to politely correct anyone who mispronounces or misspells her name...I don't get why people choose these ridiculous spellings. They aren't unique, they're silly. 

I watched  the Kentucky/Bristol, TN episode.    The little gal from Bristol, bless her pea picking heart, the dress is not going to be a real show stopper.   I thought it was plain and nothing I would recommend for any friend.  IMO a plain wanna be tryin' to be seductive fail.    The hair bad and worse was when they put the headband/veil on.   I thought OMG it's a disaster - make the last page in old school Glamour - what not to wear.     The fake tan, was that from old school QT Indoor/Outdoor tanner.     

Then we got to Tracy 'wanna be' Lear.  Bless her trashy heart.    She wants to be a socialite, maybe a younger Paris Hilton, but it's obvious she comes from what I call 'rednecks with money'.  The poor little weasel cowboy hat wearing father of the bride and the mom with an old school Mae West hairstyle, I laughed and thought what episode of Hee Haw did they appear in.    Then the groom to be - probably the biggest horn tooter in Kentucky marrying a over filled lip plastic queen.  THE MOST UNBELIEVABLE THING EVER.   The groom from old money, the Bingham's who were very old school money tied with a Flager from back in the golden era.  I don't really know if he's worth very much right now since the whole family busted the financial wealth up in the mid 1980's.    They are probably riding on the skirt tails  trying to be celebrities, socialites but are epic fails.    The brides bro, Skylar owns a company in Louisville and sis Tracy (wanna be Lords) Lear has listed as her employer.     

What a crew.  The faker fakers from Kentucky and poor little orange gal from Bristol.  Neither bride to be obviously has no taste and should have found some other place to shop than NYC.   Kentucky gal perhaps would have best been served by Fredrick's of Hollywood. Young Bristol, the local dress shop that would dress Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island.

Come to think about it, there is no mention of the big  1000+ guest wedding.  I'm betting ole Benjamin Worth Bingham Miller has got tired of plastic lips and moved on to another choice (think about that one).     I've watched plenty of episodes over the years but this episode had to be the funniest one yet.   

Edited by shopping queen
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 9/20/2020 at 9:45 AM, rur said:

When I was about 13, I saw Diahann Carroll on an afternoon talk show and thought the spelling of her name was the coolest thing ever. I spent a good couple of weeks making a list  of unusual spellings of common names for my future kids. Then I outgrew it. Now I attribute most unusual spellings that aren't stage names to people who can't spell or people who never outgrew their fascination with "the opposite of what others would do." If this makes me sound curmudgeonly, oh well. 

I think of it as "first baby syndrome" - people I know do it to their poor oldest child, thinking they are unique and clever (my mother thinks she "invented" the spelling of my rather common name and when I find older people with the same spelling I delight in informing her of that.  I could never find things in stores with my name spelled correctly as a child.). People I know who have done it have all done it to their first - by the time their other kids come along they are over it and those kids get their names spelled correctly.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:38 PM, shopping queen said:

I thought OMG it's a disaster - make the last page in old school Glamour - what not to wear. 

Thank you for reminding me of my favorite part of the magazine, "Glamour Don'ts". I always wondered if anyone recognized themselves in the photos even though their faces were blurred out. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 9/20/2020 at 10:30 AM, Kohola3 said:

I worked with a woman who took alphabet letters, tossed them up and whatever fell, in whatever order, that’s what she named her kids. 

On 9/14/2020 at 1:34 PM, 3girlsforus said:

He also doesn’t seem to be in the NBA anymore. His most recent team is in Europe. Hopefully they have taken into account the fact that his playing days are numbered and the NBA checks are no more. 

He was playing in Spain and they terminated his contract in February.  Looks like his NBA career is over.  From her Instagram pics, she looks like the typical pro athlete’s girlfriend 

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, Nessa said:

A local bridal shop where I live (Geelong, Australia) carries Randy’s designs.  Unfortunately no price.

https://foreverness.com.au/range/manufacturer/randy

Wish I had the guts to do a Muriel and go try on dresses lol.

Go for it...when your appointment time is up thank them for their time and leave...when you are actually ready, you'll have an idea what you want and go back for a second appointment with most likely a purchase. (I loved Muriel!)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, rur said:

Last night, I was passing through a room where a tv was on when I thought I saw Pnina -- so I stopped and saw the end of what was probably one of the first commercials for her diamond ring collection. I did a quick search and found a number of announcements, but this one was the most entertaining: https://www.brides.com/pnina-tornai-x-jared-engagement-ring-collection-5086592

If future bae has the coins to be dropping S20,000 on an engagement ring I hope he has the good sense to not pay retail and go to the DIamond DIstrict in NYC or find a good Diamond broker. There are a few i follow on Instagram and their work is AMAZING. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, rur said:

Last night, I was passing through a room where a tv was on when I thought I saw Pnina -- so I stopped and saw the end of what was probably one of the first commercials for her diamond ring collection. I did a quick search and found a number of announcements, but this one was the most entertaining: https://www.brides.com/pnina-tornai-x-jared-engagement-ring-collection-5086592

I found out about this when I saw this Pnina/Jared commercial .  It cracked me up. Pnina tries so hard to be sincere but can't quite pull it off. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

No doubt influenced by living in Las Vegas, but I've seen some fabulous diamond rings in pawn shops for better than retail. Lots of stores have sales on top of that too. Not what springs to mind but you really can get a good deal with careful shopping.

And being this is Las Vegas, every thrift shop in town has wedding gowns. Sure, some of them are 80s horrors that should be burned, but many of them are recent and in great shape. Just need cleaning and alteration. And they generally run $100-$250. I've even seen bridesmaids and wedding dresses that are brand new, never worn with the tags still attached. Checking multiple stores can't be more intensive than some of these women who try on fifty dresses.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/20/2020 at 9:45 AM, rur said:

Oprah Winfrey was actually named (by her Aunt Ida) after Orpah, from the Book of Ruth in the Bible. In 2008, Ms. Winfrey explained that her family was unfamiliar with the name & spelled & pronounced it “Oprah” (flipping the R & the P) as the world has come to know through Ms. Winfrey’s fame, from her infancy. Also according to Ms. Winfrey, the name is correct, Orpah, on her birth certificate.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m thinking it’s probably a good thing if Oprah has to fly on mostly private jets when she travels (Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, & all that). Wouldn’t she have an issue traveling with the TSA since she goes by “Oprah”, but the legal spelling of her name, according to her birth certificate, is apparently “Orpah”, with the R& P flipped? I suppose she could carry a notarized copy of her birth certificate with her, when she flies commercially (I only ask because I seem to remember my airline of choice asking, at some point after 9/11, how I wanted my name listed when I flew with them, & I think it had to match my legal documents on which I was named).