Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, cameron said:

Wondering if the St. Louis brides late father was a professional athlete.  She showed a picture of him wearing a full length fur coat.

My classy husband guessed pimp.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Quof said:

And no one has ever mentioned sales tax, which is almost 9% and may come as a surprise to those from other states (not to mention Canadian brides who will also pay tax and duty to take their dresses home).

At one time, you could avoid sales tax by having items shipped to your home out of state. 

The Kleinfelds alterations department are admitted good but I would imagine that for standard bridal alterations, one could have them done at a high quality place in one's home state. I am not sure whether one could have alterations done at Kleinfelds and then have the finished dress shipped to one's home outside New York State.

• Love 1

I'm guessing that if you want a specific dress, and it's not an exclusive to Kleinfeld, then you could price it at bridal salons in your own state.    I'm not sure if alterations would be a good idea, except at a bridal salon.     The dresses ordered from Kleinfeld's are delivered to the store, and it waits for you there until the alterations are done.     The only ones I've seen that go home with the bride are the sample sale or the shoppers that don't have time to order a dress, and buy one out of the in store stock.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm guessing that if you want a specific dress, and it's not an exclusive to Kleinfeld, then you could price it at bridal salons in your own state.    I'm not sure if alterations would be a good idea, except at a bridal salon.     The dresses ordered from Kleinfeld's and that will have alterations there don't go to your home, but to Kleinfeld's, and then are inspected when they arrive to make sure they're not dirty, or the wrong dress.  

You can show up to inspect the dress at Kleinfelds and have them ship it after you have tried it on. You don’t have to hav3 it drop shipped to avoid sales tax. 

• Love 1
On 8/30/2020 at 9:49 AM, Lisa418722 said:

The Ireland bride. Like said above, one of my pet peeves with this show is "the dress is over budget."  You are a grown up, offer to pay the difference rather than expecting mommy and daddy to pay for every last penny.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear them talk about alterations since that is never mentioned.  The dress she ended up with would look nice for an Ireland castle wedding. 

I think this was deliberate on Randy’s part.  He’s no dummy and he knows if there’s money to pay for an Irish castle wedding, they won’t go economical on the dress.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, DiamondGirl said:

I think this was deliberate on Randy’s part.  He’s no dummy and he knows if there’s money to pay for an Irish castle wedding, they won’t go economical on the dress.

Maybe.  But on the other hand, I'd be more willing to pay for the trip to Ireland and the castle by viewing it as a trip of a lifetime (as I'm sure there would be at least a couple of days to go sight seeing), as well as a wedding, and in order to pay for it, I'd ask for my kid to go a bit cheaper on other things, like a dress that you're only going to wear once. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think Kleinfeld's charges a flat fee for alterations -- maybe $700?  I know wedding dress alterations are very complicated due to need to keep the pattern and look when shortening, taking in, etc.  But, if you're lucky enough not to need a lot of work done, it can be a huge, unnecessary expense.  And it's almost pure profit for the store (any store) as they essentially are only paying for the seamstresses' time.

The problem is that brides don't have a lot of alternatives.  In the wrong hands, your dress could look like crap. -- it's not a DIY project.  And while your hometown store can do the work, they don't have the same incentive to make you happy when you bought your dress elsewhere.  The best approach is to do what the Irish castle bride TRIED to do -- keep in mind total cost (dress+alterations+veil+shoes+special undergarments+tax[which is considerable in NYC]).  

Bottom line is that (with very few exceptions such as the $299 dress), if you want to spend <$3500 all-in, Kleinfeld's probably isn't the right store for you, no matter how much you want a K dress.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Noticed that too. Pockets were way too close to her front. Also noticed 2 in her entourage were in similar blue dresses with high suits. Pretty fancy.

Perhaps this is because the Ireland destination bride was bigger than the sample size? I assume that the pockets wouldn't be in the front as much because the waist would be bigger. I also hope that the waist will be a little lower too with a bigger size dress. I found that this is true in a lot of those type of dresses on this show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

If you go back a few pages, I have a whole rant about the true cost of a dress when you add in all of it, which is why I was surprised they actually showed a bride talk about the price including the alterations. I fully advocate for taking the dress home and then using a trusted tailor or seamstress for the alterations. But the way bridal shops work you have to order the dress as much as a year in advance, and I have heard so many horror stories about what happens when the dress finally arrives. You can walk out of David's Bridal with your dress. And remember, Keinfeld's doesn't carry all the top designers. For example, they don't have Vera Wang.

• Love 1

I could swear we’ve seen that dress that Jacqueline finally picked in Florida.  Of course I was so distracted by her moustache that I could be wrong.  Her mother was right - all the money spent on flights and buying that sale dress for really no reason is costing more than a gown would.

I really liked Aries’ final choice even though I don’t like mermaid dresses overall. I love sparkly things so I think the neck piece and crown thing added a beautiful touch.

And speaking of sparkly, I adored that glittery blush dress in the wedding at the end. Lazaro really can make some gorgeous fantasy gowns.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Lots of fake stuff tonight but ended with a spectacular wedding.  The medium story was annoying. If she really came in looking for a black dress then I found it rather convenient that the bridesmaid who didn’t want black was suddenly channeling Grandma who also didn’t want black.  Or the ‘I want a black dress’ storyline was just like all the others - fake to get on the show. The dress she chose was fine but I never like the tiny spaghetti straps on a woman with large breasts. Everything just seems droopy. If she  is having a Day of the Dead wedding, I didn’t think the dress went with that theme at all. It’s a Mexican festival so I thought the skirt on the first Lazaro would have been more in keeping with that kind of theme. I know he makes that skirt on different dresses and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it at the bottom of a mermaid style. The whole thing felt very ‘I want a black dress for my Dead of the Dead wedding - oh but now I’m in love with this white dress which pretty much could be at any wedding’. 

The girl from Florida was fake too. At the end she claims she knew the minute she put the dress she ended up buying in Florida that it was the dress for her. Well then what was she doing at Kleinfeld? I thought she was so confused? Then she puts on a dress that was so much like that dress that she thought it was the same dress - but she doesn’t like it at all. She already bought that dress in FL before she even came. She just wanted to be on TV.

The wedding at the end saved the episode. That dress was just beautiful. I remember the episode when she bought it and I loved it then but it looked SO amazing in that venue. What a beautiful wedding and it seemed so warm and loving. 

• Love 10

Yes I agree with y'all those first two brides wanted to be on TV.  Also they have done the "I want a black wedding dress" bride before and I can't remember if any of them actually chose a black dress.

The last bride Krystin? She looked beautiful and gave me a little bit of Meghan Markle vibes with her complexion. But that wedding and reception was simply stunning.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Lots of fake stuff tonight but ended with a spectacular wedding.  The medium story was annoying. If she really came in looking for a black dress then I found it rather convenient that the bridesmaid who didn’t want black was suddenly channeling Grandma who also didn’t want black.  Or the ‘I want a black dress’ storyline was just like all the others - fake to get on the show. The dress she chose was fine but I never like the tiny spaghetti straps on a woman with large breasts. Everything just seems droopy. If she  is having a Day of the Dead wedding, I didn’t think the dress went with that theme at all. It’s a Mexican festival so I thought the skirt on the first Lazaro would have been more in keeping with that kind of theme. I know he makes that skirt on different dresses and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it at the bottom of a mermaid style. The whole thing felt very ‘I want a black dress for my Dead of the Dead wedding - oh but now I’m in love with this white dress which pretty much could be at any wedding’. 

The girl from Florida was fake too. At the end she claims she knew the minute she put the dress she ended up buying in Florida that it was the dress for her. Well then what was she doing at Kleinfeld? I thought she was so confused? Then she puts on a dress that was so much like that dress that she thought it was the same dress - but she doesn’t like it at all. She already bought that dress in FL before she even came. She just wanted to be on TV.

The wedding at the end saved the episode. That dress was just beautiful. I remember the episode when she bought it and I loved it then but it looked SO amazing in that venue. What a beautiful wedding and it seemed so warm and loving. 

Did I hear the medium say she's the HipHop medium because she channeled the Notorious Big? Otherwise known to the rest of us as the Notorious B.I.G? If so, what the hell? 

Florida bride with her dresses was just annoying. 

I swear I remember reading someone saying this season seems cobbled together with scraps from the cutting room floor and yes, yes it does. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Did I hear the medium say she's the HipHop medium because she channeled the Notorious Big? Otherwise known to the rest of us as the Notorious B.I.G?

Yes, yes she did. I'm convinced that if there are real psychics out there, the last thing they want is to be on TV. But this show has now given us a hip hop medium, and the Long Island Medium. I did like the black-and-white dress she tried on but it seemed much more of a red carpet kind of gown than a wedding dress. I'd love to know the cost of the rhinestone collar by itself. For me, having the collar and the headpiece together was just too busy.

The bride at the end, I thought the flowered headband and veil she tried on in the store looked beautiful and better than the way she had her hair for the actual ceremony.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

The so-called medium who brings her makeup artist with her along with her makeup case was a joke.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Did I hear the medium say she's the HipHop medium because she channeled the Notorious Big? Otherwise known to the rest of us as the Notorious B.I.G? If so, what the hell? 

Florida bride with her dresses was just annoying. 

I swear I remember reading someone saying this season seems cobbled together with scraps from the cutting room floor and yes, yes it does. 

Florida bride was obviously a media slut.  No way could she have fit into that Hayley Paige dress that she brought into Kleinfelds.  Just looking for a few moments on national tv.  Should have left that segment on the cutting room floor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

There have been a couple of brides who *claim* to want a black dress for whatever reason but they have never purchased one.

The closest to a black dress was a woman who saw the light when they added a thin black fabric belt to a white dress.

There was a woman married to a rocker and Randy convinced her that she could wear black dresses to any function but could only wear a white dress to her own wedding. Not that I am convinced that she ever wanted a black dress but at least the woman led a lifestyle in which she actually did have other occasions to wear black formal dresses so Randy's argument made more sense - i.e. that wearing a black formal dress really wouldn't differentiate the occasion. 

Years ago there was an Indian girl who needed a red dress for the reception. As I recall she was marrying a non-Indian and so there were three services and three gowns - a sari for the Indian ceremony; a white dress for the church and the red gown for the reception. I believe she got an Pnina ball gown because it was one of the few lines that would custom make a red dress. It was actually quite a beautiful classic gown but still was odd because why would you need to go to Kleinfelds for a formal red dress. At the price point she could go to any number of stores that sell beautiful expensive evening wear and purchase a red dress. 

And the pockets on the Irish bride are going to hang more properly when the dress is fitted as those kinds of measurements are taken for the custom dress. It is the same as bodices being too short or boobs being droopy because a clothes pin or some kind of elastic can't provide the kind of support the actual well fitting dress will and a larger chest will make the waist too high and short as well. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, cameron said:

The so-called medium who brings her makeup artist with her along with her makeup case was a joke.

I call bs because if you google her name she pops up as a Celebrity Hair Stylist/Cosmetologist so her makeup artist is probably a co-worker or associate who cut a deal for a discount to get tv exposure. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Did I hear the medium say she's the HipHop medium because she channeled the Notorious Big? Otherwise known to the rest of us as the Notorious B.I.G? If so, what the hell? <snip>

Interestingly, the closed captioning said "Notorious B.I.G."!

8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

<snip> I'm convinced that if there are real psychics out there, the last thing they want is to be on TV. But this show has now given us a hip hop medium, and the Long Island Medium.<snip>

This episode included the third appearance by a medium on SYTTD. 

Kim Russo was on an episode back in December 2012; there with her niece Nicole, who was selecting a gown.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Yes, yes she did. I'm convinced that if there are real psychics out there, the last thing they want is to be on TV. But this show has now given us a hip hop medium, and the Long Island Medium. I did like the black-and-white dress she tried on but it seemed much more of a red carpet kind of gown than a wedding dress. I'd love to know the cost of the rhinestone collar by itself. For me, having the collar and the headpiece together was just too busy.

I agree - I also didn't like the collar with a spaghetti strap dress.  I liked the black and white too - if she really wanted something different that was it.  I was surprised the whole entourage hated it.  I thought she was a cute little thing though and looked surprisingly attractive in the fitted gowns.  Florida bride, IMO, did not look attractive in the fitted gowns and should have tried on a different style.  And I loved everything about the wedding at the end!

Edited by princelina
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, amarante said:

And the pockets on the Irish bride are going to hang more properly when the dress is fitted as those kinds of measurements are taken for the custom dress. It is the same as bodices being too short or boobs being droopy because a clothes pin or some kind of elastic can't provide the kind of support the actual well fitting dress will and a larger chest will make the waist too high and short as well. 

Had a look on the website and that is the actual position of the pockets, right on the stomach. Some of the other dresses in that line have them placed correctly but it seems to be the style of this dress. Doesn't look bad when you're as slim as the model but I don't think it will suit anyone bigger

image.png.2c2ed5cefe18b251488731a795ee522c.png

• Useful 2
11 hours ago, amarante said:

Years ago there was an Indian girl who needed a red dress for the reception. As I recall she was marrying a non-Indian and so there were three services and three gowns - a sari for the Indian ceremony; a white dress for the church and the red gown for the reception. I believe she got an Pnina ball gown because it was one of the few lines that would custom make a red dress. It was actually quite a beautiful classic gown but still was odd because why would you need to go to Kleinfelds for a formal red dress. At the price point she could go to any number of stores that sell beautiful expensive evening wear and purchase a red dress. 

If it's the same red dress I remember, and knowing what I know about the show now, I imagine the whole point of that was to showcase Pnina. If it was the dress I'm thinking about, the young woman was considering a red dress by another designer, and Pnina (who just happened to be in the store, of course) saw the dress and said it was actually her design. Then she said she'd make the dress for the bride and charge her less than the other brand was charging. 

• Useful 2
On 9/6/2020 at 3:46 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

. For me, having the collar and the headpiece together was just too busy.

I thought the headpiece alone really suited her, but agree about them together being much too much.  I'd say it was too much together even if I loved the collar (nope, it's godawful) and I thought it complemented the dress (not at all). 

At least she realized the cape was awful.  I'm not against them in general, but where the lace was set made it look like it had a pilgrim collar.  Didn't go with her dress at all, and just wasn't a great cape.

10 hours ago, maggiegil said:

Had a look on the website and that is the actual position of the pockets, right on the stomach. Some of the other dresses in that line have them placed correctly but it seems to be the style of this dress. Doesn't look bad when you're as slim as the model but I don't think it will suit anyone bigger

image.png.2c2ed5cefe18b251488731a795ee522c.png

Oh, in front like a hoodie!  Ath-bridal!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

This episode was weird almost to the point of being embarrassing. 

Yeah, and I'm not liking some of these dresses of late either.  Sometimes a bride will come out in a beautiful dress that everybody is oohing and ahhing over and I'm sitting here thinking that although the dress is pretty, sometimes it doesn't look good on the bride.  I didn't like the neck thing that the Medium added to her dress.  Maybe once it's all fitted it'll look good, but from here, I thought it was awful.   

• Love 3

The entire family with the Florida bride was obnoxious, especially the father who thought he was a comedian. And no way would she fit into the dress that she brought into the salon.  The whole family wanted to be on TV.  They reminded me of the Clampetts. 

I swear I’ve seen the medium on another show, but there’s no way in hell that I believe she’s what she claimed she is. This whole group was play acting all along. 

The blonde consultant needs to reassess the leather pants.  

• Love 5
On 9/7/2020 at 8:05 PM, KLovestoShop said:

The blonde consultant needs to reassess the leather pants.  

Gosh yes. She has a nice shape, but those plants were so unflattering. Only Olivia Newton John in Grease could get away with those. 

• Love 5

Tonight looks to be the last new episode. I was curious if they reopened the store so I checked their website. They are, with changes.

Before reopening, we completely transformed our main salon so that we can accommodate each bride and their guest while keeping 6 feet apart at all times. Clear plexiglass dividers were installed to create stations for you and your guest to limit contact with other brides, along with floor markers and signage throughout the store to encourage social distancing. Check in at reception remains contactless, and hand sanitizing stations are placed throughout the store for your convenience. We are also operating at a smaller capacity so we can keep our brides, their guests and our staff safe—and create a more intimate experience for you.

And no more gigantic entourages:

Due to capacity requirements, we can only allow entry to the bride plus two guests. iPads will be available for video chat with off-site friends and family, or you’re welcome to use our complimentary WiFi on your own device.

Which makes we wonder if they started filming again or they're going to wait until restrictions are gone. Maybe they will throw together some compilation shows of the wedding ceremonies they usually put at the end which weren't previously used.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Jacque, the Princess Grace/Princess Leia/Elvira bride:

"So I want whatever dress I choose to coincide with the tiara."

"Although this dress feels like the one, I know that in order for it to be the one, I need to wear the tiara and see how both coincide with each other."

Oh Jacque...that word you used; coincide? It doesn't mean what you think it means:

Definition of coincide

intransitive verb

1a: to occupy the same place in space or time

b: to occupy exactly corresponding or equivalent positions on a scale or in a series

2: to correspond in nature, character, or function

3: to be in accord or agreement : CONCUR

Perhaps the word you wanted is compliment?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Now we’re being treated to a review of the most ridiculous bridal requests from the past season. I was laughing that The Naked Bride chose the same Pnina that the other mother (I forget the bride’s name already, with the Jimmy Choo’s) dismissed as “blinged out graph paper.” 

She’s back, it’s Alexandra. Mom is wearing a Tony the Tiger sweater  

The horrible Lebanese mother is back, I can’t stand her but I have to give her props for saying Pnina’s dress was ugly to her face!

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 2

I actually liked both of the dresses tonight.  Even Pnina's.  I might raise the bodice a bit but I thought it was pretty and fit the bride well.  Ironically, I actually felt the Grace/Leia dress was almost too high but it did work well with the tiara.

I still hate the whole concept of a double bow dress.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Jacque, the Princess Grace/Princess Leia/Elvira bride:

"So I want whatever dress I choose to coincide with the tiara."

"Although this dress feels like the one, I know that in order for it to be the one, I need to wear the tiara and see how both coincide with each other."

Oh Jacque...that word you used; coincide? It doesn't mean what you think it means:

Definition of coincide

intransitive verb

1a: to occupy the same place in space or time

b: to occupy exactly corresponding or equivalent positions on a scale or in a series

2: to correspond in nature, character, or function

3: to be in accord or agreement : CONCUR

Perhaps the word you wanted is compliment?

And Jacqueline, the tiara didn't match your dress.  Color was way off.

11 hours ago, magemaud said:

Now we’re being treated to a review of the most ridiculous bridal requests from the past season. I was laughing that The Naked Bride chose the same Pnina that the other mother (I forget the bride’s name already, with the Jimmy Choo’s) dismissed as “blinged out graph paper.” 

She’s back, it’s Alexandra. Mom is wearing a Tony the Tiger sweater  

The horrible Lebanese mother is back, I can’t stand her but I have to give her props for saying Pnina’s dress was ugly to her face!

If there is such a thing as a female Pimp; Alexandra's mom fit the bill.

• Love 2

Eh - nothing really amazing with this episode. The Pronovias dress was beautiful but I don’t think it was particularly flattering on this bride. Maybe it will look better when she’s in the proper size. She’s a thin attractive woman but that dress made her look hippy. I’ve seen those kinds of cutouts accentuate curves in a good way, but they didn’t hit her in the right spot. 

The bride and mom with the sucking lemon face were just annoying. The dress was ‘eh’ and I’d love to see what happens when she starts moving around. That huge gap under the arms is just asking for side boob. 

I did think the bow dress on the last bride was really perfect for her personality. I would have expected a different veil, but the whimsical notes of the dress COMPLIMENTED (hahaha) the bride’s tattoos well. 

BTW - those Jimmy Choo shoes are $4600. For when people have more money than sense. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, cameron said:

If there is such a thing as a female Pimp; Alexandra's mom fit the bill

Would that make her a madam? 

It was really creepy when Alexandra said, “My mother isn’t your typical mother. She likes me to dress sexy.”

Edited to add another thought: Since that's Alexandra's reception dress, how on earth is she going to enjoy dancing with the front cut down to her navel and all that fabric dragging on the floor? 

23 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I still hate the whole concept of a double bow dress.

Do you mean the dress on Emily who was totally covered with children’s coloring book style tattoos? That’s all I could see when she put on the dress 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 7

Of interest (perhaps) to those of us who would watch the English show that ran after the Kleinfeld show last season - the one with Gok as a presenter.

I saw a book called Gok Cooks Chinese and I thought that has to be "the" Gok - it's such a unique name. It was his cookbook and seems like a great cookbook. Relatively easy recipes but not dumbed down and also not Americanized (or in his case Britishized) in terms of the kind of Panda Express style of food with too much sugar and fat.

His father owned a Chinese restaurant in the UK and Gok worked there. Gok also had some cooking shows in the UK - found that out by googling. I had no idea. 

I liked Gok on the English show especially when he transformed dresses. Obviously a person of his stature is not working at a small bridal salon but I didn't mean that unrealistic aspect of the show.

Anyway if anyone is looking for some new recipes, you can do far worse than Gok's book. I googled and found these to give some idea of the kind of recipes you would find in his book.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/books/gok-cooks-chinese

• Useful 3