Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The intro had one woman saying that the dresses were even prettier in person than on the photographs.  So, if I think the dresses look tacky in the photos, I guess that means they will look even tackier in person.  When did brides decide that see through dresses that look like lingerie were classy?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
When did brides decide that see through dresses that look like lingerie were classy?

When did they decide that all of their friends and relatives would enjoy seeing them look like hookers on what should be a solemn da?. Obviously none of these skanks are being married in a church. My minister would have a heart attack at some of this inappropriately sexy outfits.   You want sexy, save it for the wedding night.  Great Aunt Sophie doesn't want to see skin hanging out through holes in the wedding dress.

• Love 5

I don't know if the episode I saw tonight was new or just new to me, but it featured a downright HATEFUL friend (Katie?) who muttered under her breath making catty remarks about the staff, pouted when she couldn't pick the dresses herself, brought her friend a dress without checking to see if it was in her budget (it wasn't) then denied all culpability when the bride inevitability fell in love with it. The bride left without a dress.

• Love 13
a downright HATEFUL friend (Katie?)

She was appalling.  But why did the bride bring such a rotten "friend" on this trip in the first place?  Surely this miserable woman has shown her colors before now.  We never saw the bride (or anyone except the consultant) saying something critical about the friend, just bemoaning that the appointment was ruined, not who ruined it.

• Love 10

She was absolutely the worst we've seen.  Her behavior was so over the top obnoxious that I can't believe she was even invited.  But as you said, Harry24, this can't be unusual behavior for her.  I was appalled that the bride's mother didn't tell her to STFU when she was clearly the cause of the bride's distress.  I wanted to slap that smug, snotty look off her face.  

I certainly hope this was entirely staged or that the bride gets a backbone and boots her aside before she ruins the whole wedding.

• Love 11

Do you ever wonder what it says on the applications for this show? I wonder if there's a slot for things like "I'm planning to bring my friend who's always wanted to be an asshole on reality TV" or "I have to overtip when I go out with my bridesmaids because they have dreadful manners" or "I'm amazed my mom manages to drag her foot out of her mouth long enough to eat" or "I have a persistent fantasy that my sister runs off with my fiancé so I can get rid of her and my future mother in law all at once." Probably just after the crippling personal tragedy section of the form, under "Miscellaneous Drama."

• Love 14

I wonder if there's a slot for things like "I'm planning to bring my friend who's always wanted to be an asshole on reality TV"

Ha!

I haven't watched this show in forever, but I caught the horrible friend episiode last night. She said this was like the 21st (I think?) time she was a bridesmaid and I'm just baffled that such an obnoxious woman has so many close friends that she's been invited into 21 wedding parties. Unless it was all just a tv thing... 

• Love 4

I couldn't believe the bride agreed to let them televise this after what happened.  I also wonder why Kleinfeld's agreed to that, or if they had a choice.  It was pretty incredible.  I think we all know now why that bridesmaid has never been a bride.  Pity the poor man who might think about spending his life with such a spiteful, petty person.  She also kept running her hands through her hair and shaking that mane the entire time she was on camera as if she were preening.

• Love 2

What mystified me was what she was supposed to be saying as criticism. She made some comment about, if I remember correctly, "the edging on the toile." Huh? There was no toile anywhere. Now, as I write this, I've just realized she might have been talking about "tulle". But, still, Huh? If you've been a bridesmaid 21 times, and already chosen 14 other dresses for your bride friends (like she said she had done) you probably should know how to pronounce the fabric names. I'm also surprised that no one bothered to ask what she meant or correct her -- unless she really is a miserably nasty person and they thought it best to ignore her.*

*Maybe that's what's in the Miscellaneous Drama section of the application: "You must bring at least one person who will try to make your dress-buying experience miserable. State your relationship to that person(s) and the type of misery that will be inflicted." 

Edited by rur
  • Love 5

I was appalled that the bride's mother didn't tell her to STFU when she was clearly the cause of the bride's distress. 

I don't think that older woman was the bride's mother.  Her last name, when they flashed it, was the same as the odious friend's--the friend's name was Kelly Courtney, and the woman's name was Cynthia (I think) Courtney.  Beneath her name she was ID'd as "Bride's Friend."  So if anything, she could've been the mother of the friend from hell.  Either way, I agree that somebody should've shut the lovely friend down, whatever she was auditioning for.  But I had a feeling the bride wasn't entirely legit either, so what do I know?  The whole scenario seemed a little scripted.  Or a little more than usual.

• Love 1

I definitely got the feeling that Kelly had seen too many episodes of Bitchy Bravo Housewives and thought "Hey, that's me! Who knew there could be a job in this? I'm getting on this gravy train!".  Having said that, the bride did look best in the Mark Zunino that she couldn't afford.

• Love 2

Agreed with everyone who said that bridesmaid was horrible. She poisoned the well before the bride walked out in the first dress.  She seemed to want the bride to blow her budget or be sad that her perfect dress was unattainable.  The bride should have asked for the price tag before trying it on.  Kleinfelds can't give a discount because your bridesmaid is a bitch and you can't afford the dress you want. The bridesmaid was mumbling the whole time about how cheap everything was and that Kleinfelds was holding back in some way.  Just ugly behavior all around.  

I felt for the bride from San Diego whose mother had Alzheimer's disease. It was nice that they Skyped in her mom and dad. The dress she chose would have been lovely if it was a lined bodice. The open back and see through bodice was a little much. I immediately knew it was pnina tornai (I didn't catch the designer before and don't really pay attention to them). It was the laid back cousin to the stripper fairy dress.   

• Love 4

Cosmo has a gallery of "23 Most Naked Looks From Bridal Fashion Week." I call foul because a) Pnina is nowhere on this list and b) half these dresses are still more tasteful than the highlights of the stripper fairy oeuvre. 

No kidding. At least half of those would be too modest for Pnina! Although Julia does have a point - they were specifically from Fashion Week. But I thought Pnina did have a show of some sort. Anyway, the Vera Wang dresses towards the end of the list rather surprised me. Who would wear something that revealing in front of family and friends? Granted, fashion shows are more conceptual and aren't generally for off-the-rack clothes, but still.

• Love 3

The Vera Wang gowns look like slips! I'm kinda hoping Kleinfelds stocks up on the Vera Wang dresses to give Pnina a run for her money. Will the bride decide on a stripper fairy dress or see-through undergarment gown?  

I've watched way too much Say Yes to the Dress because I don't think that the majority of the gowns showed off that much more skin in than dresses in stores today. A few of those dresses in the slide show could be worn by a bride without me thinking "why is she naked?" I may need a Say Yes to the Dress detox! 

• Love 3

All of these gowns are very unforgiving and most people would not look good in them.  The least little bit of sag, bag or any other real life flaw would not work with these dresses.  These look good only on models who are young and have model thin bodies.   

• Love 2

Saw some of the marathon on today and there was an older episode (from 2013?) that had on an amazing bride named Margo Mallory who was fighting cancer at only 24.  She took off her hat to try on dresses and I was so happy when she found one she loved.  She was such a fighter and so positive, it made me root for her.  I was stunned when they showed her RIP screen card at the end of the episode.

Contrast someone like this to that brat of the 21 weddings last week. ("It's so cheap").  Don't put these famewhores on TV TLC!

I know this happened a few years ago, but my heart just goes out to Margo's family...

Edited by shipmate
  • Love 3

She seemed a bit more down to Earth than on home buying show I saw her on not too long ago.  I think she and a boyfriend were searching for a rental in Miami or some other place in Florida.  Anyway, on that show she was a complete snotty beyotch.  I can't remember the name of the show but I think her episode can be youtubed.  It seemed like she had forgotten that homegirl once lived in a garage with hubby #1.  Her fiancee sure was good looking! She upgraded from Armando.

• Love 1

Her fiancee is super good looking.   I thought her friend offered some good advice about having more coverage on the dresses she was trying on.  I can't remember where I read it, but there was a Q & A segment about her and Armando and someone said she used to be a "pole dancer" in San Diego before she met Armando.  I have no idea if that is true. 

Her fiancee is super good looking.   I thought her friend offered some good advice about having more coverage on the dresses she was trying on.  I can't remember where I read it, but there was a Q & A segment about her and Armando and someone said she used to be a "pole dancer" in San Diego before she met Armando.  I have no idea if that is true.

I read on another site that one of the reasons why she and Armando were no longer together was for his penchant for strippers, so hmmm....

I missed the closing frame on the Margo Mallory episode. I'm really sad that she died. I'm glad, though, that she at least got enough of a remission to have a little time as a newlywed.

I liked the exuberant bride, Brittany (I think).  She was 26 but her harsh black hair and makeup and awful tan made her look 36 or older.  She seemed to have a great time.  Just please tone down the hair and makeup - you will look so much younger and prettier.

Hmmm, Veronica.  Trying to remember her.  Was she the blonde with the flotation devices (as described by her friend)?  And she went with the ballgown?

I was watching reruns this afternoon and finally caught two recent episodes. I agree that the ballerina was one of the few people who could carry off the architectural dress. It was beautiful on her. But what bothered me were the multiple shots of her trying on wedding dresses without taking off her big high-heeled shoes. At the very least, I can't imagine that a Kleinfeld consultant would risk allowing a customer to damage a dress with a misplaced heel spike.

I also thought the Tony Danza episode was cute, and we got to see a couple different Pnina dresses, but I had a question right off. The costume designer showed Randy his vision for the SHORT wedding dress when they were both at the theater. Why did Randy only have long dresses for the actress to try on? (I know, I know, they were determined to showcase Pnina, but still . . . ) And how scripted was the remark (by the costume designer, I think) about how the amazing Pnina drew a sketch of the dress they wanted. Puh-leez! 

Rerun ep with the bride who decided to remove the white backing from her Pnina stripper-fairy dress to expose her belly. I just knew her older groom would want that! Ugh. I just don't understand the wanting to look sexy for your wedding.

• Love 1

Pnina's Instagram account today featured video of one of the ridiculous stripper fairy drop-waist ball gowns. Because nothing says "princess fairytale" like a dress that screams "going commando on my wedding day."

• Love 4
(edited)

Rerun ep with the bride who decided to remove the white backing from her Pnina stripper-fairy dress to expose her belly. I just knew her older groom would want that! Ugh. I just don't understand the wanting to look sexy for your wedding.

That dress was about 1 inch from showing way too much. Gross. I do not get it?

The Brett Michaels look alike dad was obnoxious...papazilla!

Edited by jenifaohjenny
  • Love 6

The Brett Michaels look alike dad was obnoxious...papazilla!

He was indeed, but at least he wanted his daughter to be happy. I thought poor Randy was going to crap his pants.

The same episode featured a plus-sized bride who had just lost her father 2 months prior & her wedding was in 4 or 5 months, so they couldn't order a dress. That intro had disaster written all over it, but Randy & the crew came through! I thought she looked beautiful! I was so happy for her.

After SYTTD they aired a couple episodes of a new show called "Curvy Girls" I think. Two attractive sisters opened a bridal shop in part because the one sister's wedding dress experience was so horrible.They had some really beautiful, well-cut dresses, with the exception of the dress the slender-but-pregnant girl settled on. I like this show better than SYTTD-Atlanta.

• Love 1

What mystified me was what she was supposed to be saying as criticism. She made some comment about, if I remember correctly, "the edging on the toile." Huh? There was no toile anywhere. Now, as I write this, I've just realized she might have been talking about "tulle". But, still, Huh? If you've been a bridesmaid 21 times, and already chosen 14 other dresses for your bride friends (like she said she had done) you probably should know how to pronounce the fabric names. I'm also surprised that no one bothered to ask what she meant or correct her -- unless she really is a miserably nasty person and they thought it best to ignore her.

At one point she sniffed that the lace on one gown option wasn't "even" Chantilly. I wanted to tell that bitch to have several seats!!! Unless you are prepared to open up your check book (even the Kleinfeld's staff called her out on that) then it's just beyond rude to tell someone that dresses within her budget look cheap.

• Love 3

Wasn't that the woman who already had a 2-year old son with her husband to be?  Again, I'm totally floored by how much money these people spend on a dress that will be worn one time. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The Vera Wang gowns look like slips! I'm kinda hoping Kleinfelds stocks up on the Vera Wang dresses to give Pnina a run for her money. 

Kleinfelds does not carry Vera Wang gowns nor do they carry many other high-end designers other than Monique Lullihier, Badgley Mischka, and Vivienne Westwood.  They have starting carrying more British designers than they used to like Temperley London, Ian Stuart, and Amanda Wakeley. British and European designers use sleeves of some sort more often in their bridal designs which I love to see.  Take a look at Temperley London at Kleinfelds:  http://www.kleinfeldbridal.com/index.cfm?pid=51&clearpreviouscriteria=true  Do we ever get to see any of these gowns though?  Nope, just Pnina, Mark Zunino, Hayley Paige, Danielle Caprese and once in awhile Lazaro.

Since I'm so tired of them pushing Pnina Tornai's vulgar gowns down my throat, I'm taking SYTTD off of my DVR series record. I've been thinking about it for awhile, but as soon as that overlyscripted Princess with her dadzilla said they could spend $5-$10K, I knew they would start pulling our the same old Pnina's. That's when I decided I was done for sure. I initially starting watching SYTTD so that I could look at lots of lovely gowns from many different designers.  I will stick with "SYTTD-Atlanta" but I'm out for the Kleinfelds version. At SYTTD-Atlanta still features more of a variety of designers.

Edited by lark37
  • Love 4

I always wonder how those young women reconcile "I want to be unique. I don't want to look like every other bride." and choosing the same Pnina the last six iconoclasts bought. Because nothing says I'm having a destination wedding at a place that looks like Barbie's Versailles Castle(™) like a wedding dress which requires you to have a brazilian.

• Love 6

"It looks more like a dinner gown than a wedding dress." - Papazilla.

"Dinner gown" - You keep using this expression. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Love 2

I think SYTTD has jumped the shark with all of the strange personalities they have been featuring last season and this season.  Papazilla?  Really?

Just throwing this one out here: How quickly would Papazilla either be a) shown the door, b) have a close encounter with local police, or c) both if he walked into ANY other bridal salon in the United States and threatened an employee? Was that supposed to be cute, funny or entertaining? News flash to SYTTD's production group. It wasn't.

Here's another news flash to Papazilla's future son-in-law. If you marry that woman, you've lost your mind.

• Love 5
(edited)

I suspect that Papazilla sticks to threatening diminutive middle-aged women, so his son-in-law probably doesn't have too much to worry about.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

What was the deal with the fugly bow? the dress was not that great, it looked like a $7000 negligee- I think that is why mm said it was boring. But that 1980 Butt Bow? Im shocked this bride said OK to that!

• Love 4
(edited)

i agree that the bow looked totally out of place on that dress.  I thought the bride was going to ask for a sparkly belt which would have looked better than the bow.  I didn't like the dress very much before the bow was added.  Wonder how much the addition of that bow increased the dress price?

Edited by laredhead

I felt bad for the consultant on that one.  Here you have a bride with an "unlimited" budget who is looking at gowns that cost $12K and $22K, and she picks one that cost under $6K.  Bummer.

• Love 1