Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

They seem like a lovely family.  

The oldest daughter was so mature with her comment: "The way she treats us is what that dress is doing for her" (or something along those lines.)  It was a nice moment between the Mom and daughter.   I thought that the first dress looked better on her than the second one.  The second one was beautiful, but I liked the neckline of the first one on her better.  It had a more mature look to it and fit the venue perfectly.  

I would've liked to have heard more of the California bride's story.  She said that her Mom couldn't go to NYC, and then she told her MIL that she always wanted a family and that she loves them very much.  That reminded me of the scene with Sandra Bullock in the movie 'While You Were Sleeping!'  She was such a sweet person and ray of light considering the injuries she had, plus whatever is going on with her family.  IMO, she is a true inspiration for overcoming difficult circumstances.  Her fiancé was a gem too!  Also, I agreed with the bride about not wanting a white dress.  I'm pale too and I certain colors wash me out, and you sure don't want to look like a ghost on your wedding day!!  

• Love 9

I felt like something was “off” with that family in the last episode and could not put my finger on it. I found them to be...not exactly genuine. Not surprised to find they are part of a TX church that is homophobic, transphobic, etc. Does not align with my beliefs and made me understand maybe why I was not connecting with them as a whole. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I consider all the various shades of white qualifying for a "white dress." Just like when you buy white paint, you have several tints of white to choose from. My wedding gown in the 70s was ivory and nobody thought it wasn't appropriate as it was an antique style. I just think the people who are insisting the bride wear white mean that they don't want to see her in a non-traditional color like black or red. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I consider all the various shades of white qualifying for a "white dress." Just like when you buy white paint, you have several tints of white to choose from. My wedding gown in the 70s was ivory and nobody thought it wasn't appropriate as it was an antique style. I just think the people who are insisting the bride wear white mean that they don't want to see her in a non-traditional color like black or red. 

I also chose an ivory peau de soie wedding gown with a court train.  Didn't want to wear white as I thought it was too harsh, actually still don't like bright white even today.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, jenifaohjenny said:

I felt like something was “off” with that family in the last episode and could not put my finger on it. I found them to be...not exactly genuine. Not surprised to find they are part of a TX church that is homophobic, transphobic, etc. Does not align with my beliefs and made me understand maybe why I was not connecting with them as a whole. 

Curious where  you saw that.  Did notice that she was sporting a major yellow canary diamond ring on her left hand.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cameron said:

I also chose an ivory peau de soie wedding gown with a court train.  Didn't want to wear white as I thought it was too harsh, actually still don't like bright white even today.

Your gown sounds lovely.

I have a very pale complexion and chose ivory crepe for my dress. I made my dress and veil from a Vogue pattern in 1975. My future mother-in-law asked why my dress wasn't white and seemed confused when I told her I didn't want to look like a ghost. On the other hand, my mother loved it.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Your gown sounds lovely.

I have a very pale complexion and chose ivory crepe for my dress. I made my dress and veil from a Vogue pattern in 1975. My future mother-in-law asked why my dress wasn't white and seemed confused when I told her I didn't want to look like a ghost. On the other hand, my mother loved it.

So does yours.  Had to buy mine since I didn't do well in Home Ec with sewing basics.

• Love 3

I wasn't a huge fan of the dresses Gok chose/made this week.  That said, there is something refreshing/calming about the UK version.  It shows that there are gorgeous dresses at every price range and for every body type.  Gok seems genuinely interested in finding beautiful dresses for brides, regardless of their size or price point.  

Must admit that I sometimes think Randy & Co. are either making it up or phoning it in.  Realize I could be entirely wrong about that, but it's the sense I get -- if you aren't famous or don't want to spend $$$ or don't have a sob-story, you're no one.  

Also, there seems to be a lot less drama in the UK version (in a good way).  Smaller entourages.  No one brings placards with numbers or tries to draw attention to themselves.  I don't think the show could stand on it's own (w/o the Kleinfeld version as a lead-in), but I find it refreshing -- and definitely more interesting than the Canadian version.

• Love 9
On 2/21/2020 at 6:08 PM, DiamondGirl said:

I want Randy to have to do a gown for that big fabulous Whitney girl.  I only know her or the show from commercials so I have no idea if she’s getting married or anything, but she seems like she’d be a nightmare.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:30 AM, magemaud said:

Ugh! Don’t give them any ideas. She’s insufferable. She’s supposed to be getting engaged this season “The Road to the Ring” but there’s much speculation the prospective groom is just a hired famewhore. 

Oh she's the absolute worst!  And the fiance is totally fake, but they are ending this season with "The Engagement" which means they can drag all next season out with wedding plans before it gets "called off" for some reason or another.  The fact that they keep advertising "The Road to the Ring" during SYTTD gives me hope that they will indeed bring her to Kleinfelds.  A nightmare for Randy & Co. but a great night of TV for Princelina!

• Love 3
On 3/1/2020 at 2:50 PM, cameron said:

Curious where  you saw that.  Did notice that she was sporting a major yellow canary diamond ring on her left hand.

I found their Facebook page and it showed that she worked at their church. On the church website it says...believe marriage is only between man and woman...believe you a born either male or female and that’s that...etc. 

• Useful 1
On 2/29/2020 at 8:50 PM, magemaud said:

Okay, who but a famewhore would take their husband and SIX kids to Kleinfeld’s for a vow renewal gown? When the husband said he wasn’t staying for the appointment I yelled at the TV, “Take those brats with you!” Or at least the four youngest. 

I think you are 100% right in this observation. After a google search you can find that they have a Youtube channel with family videos - choreographed with music. Their FB page is full of weirdly staged professional photos.  They are trying very hard. Most likely to get a reality show. I found the mom engaging on a Reality TV casting FB page. 

It may be appealing to some, me not so much. IMO they wanted to be on the show as a stepping stone.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

IMO, brides are entitled to their personal religious and social views, even if you don't agree with them.  The bride this week wasn't espousing any views on the program -- what she believes (or doesn't believe) is her business. 

I thought bringing the kids was something like a Brady Bunch gimmick.  Though I wasn't a fan, in the end, the kids were well-behaved and actually more likeable than most of the entourages on this show.  Whatever the reasons the family had for doing the show were off-screen, so I wasn't bothered. 

The UK version is much more "normal."  Small groups, modestly-priced dresses, minimal drama.  However, as I said above, I don't think that would sell as a TV show on its own week-to-week.  Thus, on the Kleinfeld version, we get the (mostly) outlandish brides, most of whom have something about them that the producers think we'll find interesting -- not necessarily likeable, but interesting.  That's reality TV. 

• Love 6

The English Say Yes is equivalent to the Great British Bake Off.

The Great British Bake Off has no villains - no outlandish characters vying for screen time. The competitors are there to bake their little hearts off for the honor of winning. 

• Love 6
On 3/4/2020 at 12:02 PM, dogdays2 said:

IMO, brides are entitled to their personal religious and social views, even if you don't agree with them.  The bride this week wasn't espousing any views on the program -- what she believes (or doesn't believe) is her business. 

I thought bringing the kids was something like a Brady Bunch gimmick.  Though I wasn't a fan, in the end, the kids were well-behaved and actually more likeable than most of the entourages on this show.  Whatever the reasons the family had for doing the show were off-screen, so I wasn't bothered. 

The UK version is much more "normal."  Small groups, modestly-priced dresses, minimal drama.  However, as I said above, I don't think that would sell as a TV show on its own week-to-week.  Thus, on the Kleinfeld version, we get the (mostly) outlandish brides, most of whom have something about them that the producers think we'll find interesting -- not necessarily likeable, but interesting.  That's reality TV. 

IMO, I am allowed to disagree with them and not enjoy them on the show. To me it props up people with religous and social views that are damaging to people I love. 

• Love 6
On 3/4/2020 at 12:02 PM, dogdays2 said:

When this show started I don't remember it being as over-the-top with famewhores and fabricated drama.  IIRC there were a number of brides who couldn't afford the expensive dresses but had really incredible back stories so a lot of times the show revolved around trying to find ways to discount a more expensive dress for them.  As is typical with a reality show, I believe it has evolved over time into a circus trying to top itself every week.

• Love 9

I wish the British version has done a followup with the little woman. I would have liked to have seen how the dress with its lovely train was altered to fit her.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bad Example said:

Did they really just spend half the show on a dress that is actually the color it is supposed to be? 

And that bride and entourage were unpleasant enough the first time.  

I think it was done deliberately because she and her entourage were so unpleasant. I knew it was the right color. She certainly wasn't gracious when she had to acknowledge her stupidity.

I was surprised that Gok didn't handle the little woman because it seemed (at least to me) that she was the perfect candidate for Gok doing one of his custom jobs.

I also was wondering about how the proportions of the actual dress would look like when finished since there would be so little skirt between the waist and the decorative motif at the end of the dress/train.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bad Example said:

Did they really just spend half the show on a dress that is actually the color it is supposed to be? 

What I want to know is, if they have those complaints all the time, why don't they change the lighting?

Also want to know why, if Randy didn't want two brides to have the same dress, did he bring in one that another bride had already chose?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

What I want to know is, if they have those complaints all the time, why don't they change the lighting?

Also want to know why, if Randy didn't want two brides to have the same dress, did he bring in one that another bride had already chose?

I agree with your whole post.  The only thing I can think of with the rooms for the final fittings and alterations is that it looks like it's in the basement and there is no natural light.  The upper floor for trying on dresses is much more open.  I don't know if they get much natural light in there from the front of the store, but I think the openness of the upper floors makes a difference in the lighting too.  Seems like they could find a way to enhance the light in the alterations department though.  There was no need for the bride to have a come apart before she even tried on the dress.  Most of those dresses look different (style & color-wise) hanging on the hanger than they do on the bride, and in this case, the color looked good once she got the dress on.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I agree with your whole post.  The only thing I can think of with the rooms for the final fittings and alterations is that it looks like it's in the basement and there is no natural light.  The upper floor for trying on dresses is much more open.  I don't know if they get much natural light in there from the front of the store, but I think the openness of the upper floors makes a difference in the lighting too.  Seems like they could find a way to enhance the light in the alterations department though.  There was no need for the bride to have a come apart before she even tried on the dress.  Most of those dresses look different (style & color-wise) hanging on the hanger than they do on the bride, and in this case, the color looked good once she got the dress on.  

There are ways for lighting experts to simulate daylight, so that could be done in the fitting areas to lessen the chances of a bride sensing a discrepancy that isn't there.  However, I remember that particular bride and her entourage from her dress-finding segment and they were rude and entitled and generally unpleasant then.  If it hadn't been the color, it would've been the trim or the sleeves or something else with them.  That bride seems to like to draw attention to herself by complaining.  I thought the dress itself was just beautiful.

There have been episodes where a bride comes in to fit her dress and is certain the dress is not the one she ordered and they have to go back through the files to prove to her that the dress is indeed the one she tried on and ordered.  It probably doesn't help that it takes the better part of a year for a dress to be made and so many of these brides have tried on dozens of dresses before deciding.

I thought the exact same thing!  It's like when they show a bride a dress that is twice her budget or she is on a tight timeline and the dress she chooses can't be obtained in time for the wedding.  Totally manufactured drama.

• Love 7

I have a question-the last 2 shows I havent seen the British version. It used to follow the American one.. My cable provider is Comcast. Is there a way I can get it on demand? Thanks for your help.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

I have a question-the last 2 shows I havent seen the British version. It used to follow the American one.. My cable provider is Comcast. Is there a way I can get it on demand? Thanks for your help.

Not sure about On Demand, but I have Comcast and both the one-hour American-only show and the two-hour American and British version record on my DVR. I just delete the one-hour recording and watch the longer show.

Edited by CruiseDiva
Typo :(
On 3/8/2020 at 1:06 PM, Bad Example said:

And that bride and entourage were unpleasant enough the first time.  

Not sure who was worst, Bride or bride's mother.!!

• Love 2

With the NY bride, I wondered if they allowed her to go over-budget (whatever that may be) or select a dress that wasn't originally in the queue.  If memory serves, her dress was over $5,000 and the other dresses (based on designers) seemed to be significantly less ($2500-3500).  Also, it was on a mannequin and the others have all come from some room.  I just got the sense that, since Kleinfeld is in NY, they wanted the NY bride to be extra special and thus offered her something the other brides hadn't seen. 

Interesting that no two brides could have the same dress.  Personally, I don't think it would be a big deal as long as 10 weren't wearing the same thing.  That means they had quite a pool from which to choose, since there are 52 brides and presumably some of the available dresses weren't chosen.

As for the bride with the alterations . . . I thought Kleinfeld was trying to make the point to brides in general that your memory of your dress may well change in many months it may take for the dress to arrive.  That, plus different lighting, etc. can make you think the dress isn't yours.  But we didn't need that entire segment to do it. 

Alternatively, it was yet another opportunity to present a bride that folks remember (if not fondly).  Controversy is better than boredom to producers.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

I just got the sense that, since Kleinfeld is in NY, they wanted the NY bride to be extra special and thus offered her something the other brides hadn't seen. 

That's what I was thinking.  She got the extra sparkly expensive dress because NYC shines!  It was a pretty dress and it looked quite lovely on her.

On the British version, I noticed that Gok has a tendency to put ladies in the low V-cut gowns.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but quite a few of the brides I've seen him dress with those gowns aren't really flattering to them.  I'm not always impressed with his first choice for his brides.  

• Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 9:27 AM, doodlebug said:

There are ways for lighting experts to simulate daylight, so that could be done in the fitting areas to lessen the chances of a bride sensing a discrepancy that isn't there.  However, I remember that particular bride and her entourage from her dress-finding segment and they were rude and entitled and generally unpleasant then.  If it hadn't been the color, it would've been the trim or the sleeves or something else with them.  That bride seems to like to draw attention to herself by complaining.  I thought the dress itself was just beautiful.

There have been episodes where a bride comes in to fit her dress and is certain the dress is not the one she ordered and they have to go back through the files to prove to her that the dress is indeed the one she tried on and ordered.  It probably doesn't help that it takes the better part of a year for a dress to be made and so many of these brides have tried on dozens of dresses before deciding.

I thought the exact same thing!  It's like when they show a bride a dress that is twice her budget or she is on a tight timeline and the dress she chooses can't be obtained in time for the wedding.  Totally manufactured drama.

My favorite is when the bride comes in with a picture or name of a specific gown she wants to try and OH NO WE CAN’T FIND IT WE MIGHT NOT HAVE IT ANYMORE IT’S AT A PHOTO SHOOT *RANDY FAINTS*

Then suddenly they find the dress. 😑

Every. Time.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

For a free wedding in NYC who cares about hair & makeup...look like the kids they hired from the beauty school aren’t working out.  OMG Randy are you going to redo all the brides hair & makeup

• Love 1

I was getting tired of this big wedding stuff, but honestly, I really enjoyed how it all played out!  I loved seeing all of the different dresses - nice advertisement there, Kleinfeld Bridal! 😉

I loved the doughnut flag, the way they all came in costume for their respective states, and the beautiful wedding cake at the end.  Buddy outdid himself with that one!  The bouquets were beautiful.  Too bad it was so freaking hot though.  Those poor grooms were probably melting in those suits.  They should've put up a big open-air tent for them with some small fans scattered about.  

It didn't seem like the groom who passed out or his bride were very upset by what happened.  Either they're extremely chill about "shit happens" moments, or they've got another ceremony planned back home and this was mostly about getting the trip and the dress for free.  

All in all, I enjoyed watching the whole thing, although,  I was also nervous about those brides coming down those stairs.  They should've had some escorts for them or a makeshift handrail! It would've been fun to see Shay escort some of those ladies down the stairs.  

• Love 7

Dear Show Runners, 

Since there wasn't much entourage drama in tonight's episode, we got to see a lot of dresses in the first half hour. Perhaps this should be considered as a goal to shoot for in the future: more dresses & less drama!

It was nice that each bride had a bouquet that was supposed to represent her state in some way, but I felt kind of sorry for the Arizona bride. Everyone else got lots of flowers; she got mostly cacti and other succulents. 

Overall, I enjoyed the show and enjoyed seeing all the gowns. The Randy and Haley reminiscing show wasn't really necessary, IMO, since it was mostly things we'd already seen.

Edited by rur
ampersand
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

t didn't seem like the groom who passed out or his bride were very upset by what happened.  Either they're extremely chill about "shit happens" moments, or they've got another ceremony planned back home and this was mostly about getting the trip and the dress for free.  

I agree. The bride seemed more annoyed than concerned for her fiance. The other brides were more upset than she was, at least apparently.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:54 AM, Koalagirl said:
On 3/1/2020 at 12:30 AM, magemaud said:

I'm watching again and I agree with you that they seem like good kids and a refreshing change from the opinionated little know-it-alls that they sometimes feature on the show. I thought it was interesting in the mother's original wedding pictures she had dark hair, now it's bright red like the littlest girl's. 

I wonder if she used to dye her hair dark but then let it go back to ginger after she had her kids.  

I know a family where both wife had dark black hair and the husband was kind of sandy red, and all 4 of their kids were bright red. Red is recessive so it's possible for a child to have flaming red hair with two parents with dark hair. It also appears as a mutation in all ethnicities. In this case, I suspect the mother did originally have dark hair, but dyed it to match the little girl's natural red.

4 hours ago, Bunnyette said:

Looks like the kids they hired from the beauty school aren’t working out.

They weren't all trainees - I immediately recognized that first dude in hair/makeup from multiple seasons of Project Runway.

• Love 2

I actually enjoyed the big wedding more than I thought I would. It did drive my OCD mind crazy that the states weren’t in true alphabetical order. I liked the state costumes but thought New Mexico was dressed as an insect until I saw the after show and got it. I thought Delaware was gorgeous and took the cancellation well. Finally, I was wondering if they would have any LGBT brides and was glad to see at least two of them (Oklahoma and Maryland). Since I hate seeing the same dresses over and over it was nice to see 52 different dresses and I was glad that every bride got at least a moment of time.

• Love 6

I felt sorry for everyone having to stand out in that heat and humidity for hours.  Assuming that each bride had 2 minutes to walk down those stairs and meet her groom/partner, and assuming that there were no production interruptions (unlikely), that part alone would have taken nearly two hours.  I was worried that one of the brides would fall.  I also hope that the couples were there just for the show and had "real" weddings at home.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, camom said:

I felt sorry for everyone having to stand out in that heat and humidity for hours.  Assuming that each bride had 2 minutes to walk down those stairs and meet her groom/partner, and assuming that there were no production interruptions (unlikely), that part alone would have taken nearly two hours.  I was worried that one of the brides would fall.  I also hope that the couples were there just for the show and had "real" weddings at home.

Those were my thoughts too. New York weather can get unbearable, and everybody had to stand outside in it. The grooms must have been miserable in suits. Was the heat the reason the one man was taken to the hospital? The walk down the stairs worried me, so I started looking at their shoes. I think a lot of the brides were wearing low-heeled shoes. I would have. It would have been nice to have someone walk down with them in case of a slip. I watch all but the Randy-Haley after show. By that time, I'd had enough. I missed the British version. 

If any of the brides are going to use their dresses a second time, I hope they get them cleaned. Anything that's been dragged across a Central Park sidewalk needs a serious cleaning. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, rur said:

It was nice that each bride had a bouquet that was supposed to represent her state in some way, but I felt kind of sorry for the Arizona bride. Everyone else got lots of flowers; she got mostly cacti and other succulents. 

Aww I actually loved that cacti/succulent bouquet and stopped the show to snap a photo of it. She looked so happy too.

B930E8E0-C11C-42F0-ACD9-071AC89BEEF3.jpeg

Also loved the California bride’s cascading bouquet of the most beautiful deep pink and orangish flowers. The florist was phenomenal.

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Love 10

I’m wondering what they did about marriage licenses & other legal formalities (like do you need a blood test to get married in NYC or NY State)? Did TLC arrange for them all to get marriage licenses? Somewhere in the vows, I think when Randy got to “Grooms & Partners,” I also thought they could’ve been written a little better to acknowledge the lesbian couples involved. Something about that section of the vows just sounded weird, to me, when you had 50 straight & 2 same-sex marriages involved. I hope somebody understands what I mean. 

• Love 2
On 2/18/2020 at 7:46 PM, ChitChat said:

Yes!!  Let's get back to the way the show used to be.  No need to reinvent the wheel!  😉

YES! Cut it back down to a half hour. Just show us two or three brides dress shopping.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:17 PM, ChitChat said:

On the British version, I noticed that Gok has a tendency to put ladies in the low V-cut gowns.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but quite a few of the brides I've seen him dress with those gowns aren't really flattering to them.

I noticed a LOT of the America's Brides had the v-cut, and the commentators 🙄 remarked on it. I don't like that style at all, and it's bumming me out to think that it's a new trend.

13 hours ago, Kathira said:

I agree. The bride seemed more annoyed than concerned for her fiance. The other brides were more upset than she was, at least apparently.

I don't agree; I think she was concerned. But I'd probably react in a similar way--I tend to come across as very calm while I'm freaking out internally. I'm hoping that they did go home and have a reception with their friends and family. (Actually, I hope that for all of the couples.) I can imagine some of them liking this, since they got a production but didn't have to sweat any of the details themselves.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, doodlebug said:

However, I remember that particular bride and her entourage from her dress-finding segment and they were rude and entitled and generally unpleasant then.  If it hadn't been the color, it would've been the trim or the sleeves or something else with them.  That bride seems to like to draw attention to herself by complaining.  I thought the dress itself was just beautiful.

IIRC, didn't that obnoxious bride want a BLACK dress in the first place? 

edited to add: I just figured the British show was pre-empted for the two hour wedding special. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 1

The couple from my state had a hometown wedding ceremony/reception in November, with 6 bridesmaids, 6 groomsmen, two flower girls, and a ring bearer. She wore the same dress, with a lace top/sleeves added. Not sure which ceremony made it "official."

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

I’m wondering what they did about marriage licenses & other legal formalities (like do you need a blood test to get married in NYC or NY State)? Did TLC arrange for them all to get marriage licenses? Somewhere in the vows, I think when Randy got to “Grooms & Partners,” I also thought they could’ve been written a little better to acknowledge the lesbian couples involved. Something about that section of the vows just sounded weird, to me, when you had 50 straight & 2 same-sex marriages involved. I hope somebody understands what I mean. 

I understand you. In fact Randy at one point said something along the lines of “And do you brides take these grooms and partners to be your husbands”...whoops. He did get the “Do you grooms and partners take these brides to be your wives” part right IIRC.

They should have taken time to write that in a completely different way to account for all of the couples, rather than trying to shoehorn references to non-traditional spouses into traditional vows.

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Love 1

As I said earlier, even though I complained about SYTTD America going on and on, I was completely on board with all of the pre and post wedding festivities!  I'm such a sap for these things.  Actually, I found it entertaining with all of the behind the scenes stuff going on too.  I loved how the brides were helping each other out with their makeup.  They seemed to understand each other much better than some of the makeup artists did.  I wonder if some of the makeup artists were going with an ultra-modern type of look when all that some of them wanted was to just look like themselves -a little glammed up, but not over-the-top.

I thought the whole thing was a success, even if it was 95 degrees!

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Toodleoo said:

I understand you. In fact Randy at one point said something along the lines of “And do you brides take these grooms and partners to be your husbands”...whoops. He did get the “Do you grooms and partners take these brides to be your wives” part right IIRC.

They should have taken time to write that in a completely different way to account for all of the couples, rather than trying to shoehorn references to non-traditional spouses into traditional vows.

I get they wanted the wording (“brides/grooms & partners) to match, & maybe the person who wrote the vows (I’m not sure Randy did) isn’t gay, &/or wasn’t thinking, but you’d think Randy—who’s pretty obviously gay—would’ve read through the vows ahead of time & tried to figure a way to get the “brides & partners” section fixed so it correctly recognized that there were 2 lesbian couples marrying (which I was happy to see—I figured TLC would’ve said the mass wedding was fine, but all the couples had to be straight, which wouldn’t have been fair since gay marriage is legal here), so not all brides had husbands, but it didn’t sound drastically different from the “grooms & partners” section. Maybe he could’ve changed “husbands” to “spouses”? Except that doesn’t indicate gender & “wives” does—so then the wording doesn’t balance out. Maybe instead of “wives” & “husbands”, which indicate genders, they should’ve said “spouses” for both, because “spouses” doesn’t indicate gender.

At least Randy got the “I now pronounce you married!” part right.

I’m sorry the other brides in the lesbian couples didn’t get to shop for dresses if they wanted them. Maybe they’ll fix that if they do this again.

And I can’t believe they didn’t have the brides walk in alphabetical order either. Who on the staff of that show doesn’t know the correct order of the state names?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

Aww I actually loved that cacti/succulent bouquet and stopped the show to snap a photo of it. She looked so happy too.

I liked it, too.  I was wondering how they would manage Maine's because it's a pine cone with tassel, but from the glimpse I got of it, it looked really nice. 

I grew up in Vermont, so I tend to look especially for that state in all of these "All 50 states" things, but I didn't see her last night.  Did they show her at all?  I googled it, but only a name came up with no images except group ones from last night's show.  I'd like to see all of them and their bouquets because when I checked out the state flowers last night, some of them looked like they'd be tough to work into one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

And I can’t believe they didn’t have the brides walk in alphabetical order either. Who on the staff of that show doesn’t know the correct order of the state names?

I thought they did go in order, with the exception of New York.  Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention!

22 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Maybe instead of “wives” & “husbands”, which indicate genders, they should’ve said “spouses” for both, because “spouses” doesn’t indicate gender.

It's all too complicated nowadays.  Just say 'I pronounce you two married' and be done with it!  😉  

• LOL 1
6 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

So they gave the New York bride the pimp spot, and we got an extended look at her groom chewing gum with his mouth open as he watched her walk down the stairs to him.  Ugh.

Yeah, the gum chewing was unfortunate.  That's one of my pet peeves.  I hate seeing someone interviewed on TV who is standing there smacking their gum.  Also, there are some events in which one shouldn't be chewing gum, and this was one of them.  

It also appeared that as each couple embraced at the bottom of the stairs, they were standing on a manhole cover.  Couldn't they have had a better spot and maybe a beautiful arched arbor decorated with flowers for them to get their picture taken under?  I'm just being nitpicky though.  I thought that Randy and Haley & the producers did a great job overall.  

• Love 3