Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Some of the dresses that Gok and his team picked for some of their brides were not flattering at all!  How can they think they look good when a dress is obviously accenting the wrong things?  

On the NYC show, I thought that Randy & the lady (Debbie?) helping him with the Arizona bride were a little over the top with the whole "we can't find a dress in her size" conversation.  Good grief, I've seen much more curvy women in there than her and they didn't have any trouble finding a dress.  They just kept going on and on how they were limited on finding a dress.  In that case, if there aren't any dresses in the "curated" collection for these brides, then that's a fail on Randy's part for not including some dresses that aren't a size Zero!  Come on Randy, you &  your co-workers know better than that!  

• Love 9

Haven't watched the show in years but nothing else on so I tuned in. Man, they have really jumped the shark.  The whole "fifty states" think is so hokey and how does a dang dress serve to represent a whole state.  Randy when on and on about "boho chic" representing Arizona - huh? 

9 hours ago, ChitChat said:

...a little over the top with the whole "we can't find a dress in her size" conversation...

Talk about manufactured drama!  We've seen brides twice her size.  I hope they realize that kind of crap will keep any bride over a size 2 from bothering to go in.

I'm done.  What a waste of time.

• Love 3

Agreed about the manufactured drama with the size of the dress.  I loved the one she settled on, but I thought it was really rude of them to dump on Randy's dress with him right there.  They could have simply said "It's a pretty dress, but it's not me" and left it at that.

I don't understand some of the choices that Gok makes either. With the first bride who tried on the pant-suit, there was one on the rack that I wanted her to try on because it looked so beautiful.  It was all white with no embellishments and very soft looking, snow-white fabric, in layers (I don't know fashion, so unless it's an obvious fabric and an obvious style, I haven't a clue what it is or how to describe it).  I want to see that dress on someone!

I thought all three of the dresses that the two women brought Charlie were beautiful on her.  If she'd have been taller, I think the blue one would have fit her venue beautifully, but, they were right--it was a lot of dress for her.  I thought the criss-cross (her words) was gorgeous, but the one she chose with the alterations did look the best on her.  I didn't think I'd like it when it was on the hanger, but, yeah, when she tried it on, I was surprised how much I loved it.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:04 AM, Joan of Argh said:

I'm not a frequent watcher but I do catch an episode here and there... In the episode I'm thinking of Randy sort of took a young male assistant under his wing for his first day as a consultant and his very first "Yes to the dress"

Im trying to remember his name but I'm drawing a blank... Any help

I think you mean Aron who used to work in the Veil Department but wants to be a consultant 

13 hours ago, ChitChat said:

On the NYC show, I thought that Randy & the lady (Debbie?) helping him with the Arizona bride were a little over the top with the whole "we can't find a dress in her size" conversation.  Good grief, I've seen much more curvy women in there than her and they didn't have any trouble finding a dress.  They just kept going on and on how they were limited on finding a dress.  In that case, if there aren't any dresses in the "curated" collection for these brides, then that's a fail on Randy's part for not including some dresses that aren't a size Zero!  Come on Randy, you &  your co-workers know better than that!  

4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Talk about manufactured drama!  We've seen brides twice her size.  I hope they realize that kind of crap will keep any bride over a size 2 from bothering to go in.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I suspect the "curated collection" consists of the dresses brides ordered but never picked up. We've been told in earlier seasons when a dress is selected, the bride has to pay a deposit equal to 50% of its cost. The remaining 50% is paid after the dress arrives and either before or after the fitting appointments (not sure which). 

When a wedding is cancelled, the bride can either pay the remaining 50% and take the dress anyway, OR lose their deposit and Kleinfeld keeps the dress.

The dresses that were ordered but for which the brides didn't pay the remaining balance are the dresses I think the brides are choosing from. That would mean there are going to be a limited number of styles/sizes from which they can choose.

Note: the markup on bridal gowns is 100%+ over wholesale cost. Therefore, Kleinfeld doesn't lose anything by giving those gowns away.

The other possibility is designers may have "donated" dresses for the event - in which case, that may also limit the style/size selection.

What we know for sure is these brides cannot choose from any style in the store, and the size range is limited, to get a free dress. 

Of course the brides can choose to buy any dress from the store if they prefer to do so. 

2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I don't understand some of the choices that Gok makes either. With the first bride who tried on the pant-suit, there was one on the rack that I wanted her to try on because it looked so beautiful.  It was all white with no embellishments and very soft looking, snow-white fabric, in layers (I don't know fashion, so unless it's an obvious fabric and an obvious style, I haven't a clue what it is or how to describe it).  I want to see that dress on someone!

That bride needed to have a dress she could wear while driving her motorcycle, which means she couldn't have a dress that would drag on the ground or possibly get tangled in the wheels -which could kill her.

On September 14, 1927, the dancer Isadora Duncan was strangled to death when the scarf she was wearing got tangled in one of the wheels of her convertible. 

Duncan's (extremely long) scarf somehow blew into the well of one of the rear wheels. It wound around the axle, tightened around her neck, and pulled her from the car and onto the cobblestone street. 

She died instantly.

So you don't want to wear something long or too voluminous when driving, or riding on, a motorcycle.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Useful 2

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me...

I'm not a frequent watcher but I do catch an episode here and there... In the episode I'm thinking of Randy sort of took a young male assistant under his wing for his first day as a consultant and his very first "Yes to the dress"

Im trying to remember his name but I'm drawing a blank... Any help appreciated! 

Thanks. 😃

Maybe you are thinking of James.  He is the young curly haired guy who started appearing in last year's shows.

36 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

That bride needed to have a dress she could wear while driving her motorcycle, which means she couldn't have a dress that would drag on the ground or possibly get tangled in the wheels -which could kill her.

I was talking about the show from last night--the one with the young blonde girl who tried on the jump suit with the silver dots all over it.  The girl with the motorcycle chose a great look.  I thought Gok nailed that one. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I was talking about the show from last night--the one with the young blonde girl who tried on the jump suit with the silver dots all over it.  The girl with the motorcycle chose a great look.  I thought Gok nailed that one. 

Ohhhhh. 

My mistake because I recorded Saturday's episode but haven't watched it yet. 

Obviously I need to correct that post haste. I'll watch it tonight! 😊 

I apologize for misunderstanding.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

In fairness, it was the BRIDE who was causing the uproar because she felt she couldn't visualize herself in a dress unless it fit.

There have been loads of brides who buy dresses that don't close - very often there is a piece of white satin inserted in the back.

I think the show has had enough larger women on who left with dresses they loved so that the plus size market bride would have no qualms about finding something at Kleinfelds. I think Kleinfelds seems to present itself as a good place for a plus size woman to shop at. They have never always been very respectful and showcased their finding women of every size beautiful and dressable. I would think it scarier to go to other bridal shops where I wouldn't be sure of the kind of reception I would get and what kind of selection there might be.

Somewhat off topic, but there was a popup shop in NY that was selling exclusively for plus size brides. They were carrying more indy lines than Kleinfeld

• Love 1
1 hour ago, amarante said:

There have been loads of brides who buy dresses that don't close - very often there is a piece of white satin inserted in the back.

Makes you appreciate what the consultants go through to make a dress appear fitting, what with all the extra fabric tacked in, clamps, shimmying a dress up or over, etc.  Not only do that have to try to figure exactly what a bride is wanting, but also getting them strapped in for viewing.  And hauling all of those heavy dresses in and out of the dressing rooms!  Looks easy on TV

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Even though I know that wedding dresses are sized smaller than the average dress, I was still surprised by the bride who had gained 10 pounds and was concerned that her dress wouldn't fit. Even if the camera had added an additional, proverbial 10 pounds, she was by no means overweight. But when it was altered to fit her (as we all knew it would be), I was surprised to hear her say she had ordered it in a Queen size. Is everything more than an 8 or a 10 now "queen" in the bridal world? 

Also, the dress -- long illusion sleeves, beaded -- haven't we now seen this dress in all the episodes this season? IIRC, in the first episode the bride wanted it, in the second it went back to the rack, and now in the third it was being fitted. It's a lovely dress, but dang, show! How about a little more variety? 

On the other hand Jazmin, with the three brother, picked the perfect dress. It truly flattered her and she looked lovely.  The British bride who tried the jumpsuit, though, looked terrible. She had too much bosom and no support. The stylists shouldn't even have recommended it. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 1

Speaking of jumpsuits, I've seen some of them on these shows that ended up looking like Elvis costumes.  That's not a look I'd be going for!  

2 hours ago, rur said:

Also, the dress -- long illusion sleeves, beaded -- haven't we now seen this dress in all the episodes this season? IIRC, in the first episode the bride wanted it, in the second it went back to the rack, and now in the third it was being fitted. It's a lovely dress, but dang, show! How about a little more variety? 

You're right!  They really shouldn't show the same dress several times in a row.  I need them to model as many dresses as they can with each show without repeating a dress from a recent episode.  

• Love 1

I am not sure how much control they have over the dress a bride selects because the women participating in the show who are not celebrities are actually purchasing a dress and so their final selection is based on what they want within their budget limit.

A few years ago there was an exceptionally lovely Lazaro dress that was very simple except for a lovely detail at the waist and I believe it was most popular in blush. It was selected and/or tried on by a lot of brides that season.

The dress that has popped up quite frequently is pretty specific as it is quite elegant and not that expensive. It seems to be flattering and appealing to a wide range of brides as the Lazaro one also was - and the Lazaro dress was also in the same fairly accessible price point. If you are going to Kleinfelds you are not realistically going in with a budget of $1500 or less.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, amarante said:

A few years ago there was an exceptionally lovely Lazaro dress that was very simple except for a lovely detail at the waist and I believe it was most popular in blush. It was selected and/or tried on by a lot of brides that season.

I saw that Lazaro gown up close. It is spectacular. And it seemed to look great on everyone. 

• Love 1

I was disappointed in the British dresses this week except for the last bride with the altered blush (I think) dress.

I love a pop of color but I thought the added flowers on that one woman's dress did not look good.  I do like that her ex was there with her.

• Love 3
On 2/3/2020 at 9:11 AM, tomorrowgirl said:

Maybe you are thinking of James.  He is the young curly haired guy who started appearing in last year's shows.

No its not James...  This guy looked really young and in the episode I'm thinking of he is wearing a little black suit with white shirt and bolo tie or something reminded me of Eddie Munster..... He looks a little like him lol

He's was acting all star struck to be working with randy... Like over the top silly.

Anyways thanks for answering and I'm happy for any suggestions. 👍

On 2/3/2020 at 5:34 PM, magemaud said:

Omg!!!! Yes that's him!!! Thank you!!!  😆

On 2/4/2020 at 12:39 AM, Irlandesa said:

I was disappointed in the British dresses this week except for the last bride with the altered blush (I think) dress.

I love a pop of color but I thought the added flowers on that one woman's dress did not look good.  I do like that her ex was there with her.

Agreed about the blush dress. Very pretty.

Those red flowers, which actually just looked like a handful of flower petals bunched together, were atrocious.  Her ex seemed like a nice guy, but someone in her entourage should have spoken up and told her she looked like crap in that dress.

• Love 4

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me...

Im trying to remember his name but I'm drawing a blank... Any help appreciated! 

Thanks. 😃

Was it Shay (the African American guy)? The only other new male bridal consultant I know of is James, the white guy with the longish curly hair. There’s also Aron (I think that’s the spelling/name) who works with the accessories (veils, headpieces, etc.).

• Love 1

I can’t wait to see how long it takes tonight’s SYTTD America bride to find a dress. The promo monkeys have made her out to be a Bridezilla—insofar as it appears they show her everything, at least everything in the curated collection, & she hates (appears to hate) all of it.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I can’t wait to see how long it takes tonight’s SYTTD America bride to find a dress. The promo monkeys have made her out to be a Bridezilla—insofar as it appears they show her everything, at least everything in the curated collection, & she hates (appears to hate) all of it.

Also of  note even though she is representing the District of Columbia, she lives in Arlington Virginia.  Close but no cigar.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Was it the D.C. bride that didn't want too much "boobs" with her dress?  I do respect her for not wanting a low-cut, "look at my boobs" kind of dress!  Not that there's anything wrong with a low-cut dress, but I'm a bit old-fashioned and prefer dresses with a little modesty to them.  I don't like the super low-cut sweetheart necklines that barely covers a bride's breasts.  I don't know how they keep those dresses up!!  I don't blame her for wanting the focus to be on her, not on her cleavage.  We've seen plenty of dresses in which the only thing you notice about the bride is her cup size.  Also, I think one should have some modesty when getting married in a church.  No need for your boobs to be falling out of your dress while you're walking down the aisle!  

This is no judgment or offense to anybody who has tattoos, but I think that the England bride's multiple colorful arm tattoos were just too distracting with each dress she tried on.  That's all I could focus on.  They ruin any sleeveless formal attire, in my humble opinion.   It's like putting on the rain boots with a formal dress.  Just, no.   

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Was it the D.C. bride that didn't want too much "boobs" with her dress?  I do respect her for not wanting a low-cut, "look at my boobs" kind of dress!  Not that there's anything wrong with a low-cut dress, but I'm a bit old-fashioned and prefer dresses with a little modesty to them.  I don't like the super low-cut sweetheart necklines that barely covers a bride's breasts.  I don't know how they keep those dresses up!!  I don't blame her for wanting the focus to be on her, not on her cleavage.  We've seen plenty of dresses in which the only thing you notice about the bride is her cup size.  Also, I think one should have some modesty when getting married in a church.  No need for your boobs to be falling out of your dress while you're walking down the aisle!  

This is no judgment or offense to anybody who has tattoos, but I think that the England bride's multiple colorful arm tattoos were just too distracting with each dress she tried on.  That's all I could focus on.  They ruin any sleeveless formal attire, in my humble opinion.   It's like putting on the rain boots with a formal dress.  Just, no.   

Also the bride who went way over her father's budget because she liked the rhinestone bows on that dress.  Found her tats very distracting and not in a good way.

• Love 5

TO CHIT CHAT.....yep, that gal has ruined herself for life with those horrible tats, I simply don't get it, but I am an old coot. That was a really pretty gal who has destroyed her body and any chance for any kind of career.  (yeah, I said it). 

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

That was a really pretty gal who has destroyed her body and any chance for any kind of career. 

Don't they EVER think about what they are going to look like when they are old and wrinkly?  I  do therapy dog work in a nursing home and I can tell you, it ain't pretty.

I used to like Randy but his "hello, Beautiful" shtick is really getting old.

• Love 6

On 2/3/2020 at 9:34 AM, Shannon L. said:

Agreed about the manufactured drama with the size of the dress.  I loved the one she settled on, but I thought it was really rude of them to dump on Randy's dress with him right there.  They could have simply said "It's a pretty dress, but it's not me" and left it at that.

Especially since on of the people dumping on the dress was a man in a lavender shorts jumpsuit! 😖

On 2/3/2020 at 11:53 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

What we know for sure is these brides cannot choose from any style in the store, and the size range is limited, to get a free dress. 

While you are probably right - they see the audition videos and shouldn't pick fat brides if there's nothing for them in the "curated collection" (which leads me to . . .)

On 2/3/2020 at 7:08 PM, rur said:

Yeah I liked it the first and second time I saw it.  Now it's reminding me of the Pnina heavy satin dress with the really big "jewels" on it that every bride who had $10,000 to spend was buying for a year or two!

11 hours ago, Ynicknan said:

I now watch the show just to see Randy’s vast plaid pant collection. He, and his pants, are the best. 

Haha I was thinking tonight that his pants are getting gayer every week 😄 

10 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Oh they were horrible and ruined every dress - I'd have like to see her in a long sleeved Kate Middleton type dress.  IMO the first dress with the little bows was the best, but her tats ruined that one too.

I'm just loving the homely British brides - I tend to think "yikes!" when they first appear on my tv but by the end of their session I'm in tears.  Jilly was no exception 😊

Edited by princelina
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

That was a really pretty gal who has destroyed her body and any chance for any kind of career.  (yeah, I said it). 

There are  plenty of careers that would have no problem with her tattoos.  Besides, weren't most of them in places that could easily be covered up should she choose?

11 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I don't blame her for wanting the focus to be on her, not on her cleavage.  We've seen plenty of dresses in which the only thing you notice about the bride is her cup size.  Also, I think one should have some modesty when getting married in a church. 

That actually made me kind of sad because it sounded a bit like body image issues.  It wasn't that she wanted to be more modest but she said athletic women tend to be flat and she wanted to look flat.  I just thought that was pretty odd.

I think the English bride who kept changing her mind probably changed her mind again.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Besides, weren't most of them in places that could easily be covered up should she choose?

Her arms were covered in tattoos.  Not quite a "sleeve" tattoo, but pretty darn close!  Even if she went with a long-sleeve lace dress, those very colorful tattoos would still show through somewhat.  

20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It wasn't that she wanted to be more modest but she said athletic women tend to be flat and she wanted to look flat.  I just thought that was pretty odd.

She's probably used to wearing a sports bra to keep from bouncing around, and those do tend to flatten one out.  I'm hoping that she doesn't have issues about her body,  and maybe she's just not comfortable or used to showing off "the girls."  This may have been ingrained in her being an athlete.  I'm just guessing.  I can understand that she didn't want her breasts to be front and center, but I do hope that it's not because somebody along the way made her feel bad about her body.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Her arms were covered in tattoos.  Not quite a "sleeve" tattoo, but pretty darn close!  Even if she went with a long-sleeve lace dress, those very colorful tattoos would still show through somewhat.

I was thinking more along the lines of career.  I don't care if her tattoos show while she's wearing the wedding dress. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I was thinking more along the lines of career.  I don't care if her tattoos show while she's wearing the wedding dress. 

My dad had a kidney dialysis nurse who had a sleeve of tattoos on one arm, and you know what? Neither of us cared. She was an awesome nurse who knew how to do her job, and that's all that matters.

• Love 11

One thing I noticed during the latest episode was when Hailey Paige was doing her fashion show she said either 2016 or 2018, I couldn't completely make it out. So when was this mass wedding filmed? Are these all episodes they filmed a long time ago and have just been holding?

22 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

If she lives in a warmer climate, long sleeves will be out of the question most of the year!!

9 hours ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

She was an awesome nurse who knew how to do her job, and that's all that matters.

That's great!  As I said earlier,  I meant no offense or judgment to people who have them, but rather, I find the multiple tattoos very off-putting in formal attire.  YMMV. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, NJMom said:

One thing I noticed during the latest episode was when Hailey Paige was doing her fashion show she said either 2016 or 2018, I couldn't completely make it out. So when was this mass wedding filmed? Are these all episodes they filmed a long time ago and have just been holding?

The wedding occurred last summer, so these episodes have been in the can for a while. 

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a30810020/say-yes-to-the-dress-america-randy-fenoli-filming/

• Love 2

One thing I do like about the British version is that it reminds women that you don't have to spend $5,000+ on a dress to look beautiful.  Most of the brides are in the US $1500 - 2500 range.  Do Gok and Co. react in horror?  No.  They're happy to work with the bride to find her a beautiful dress that she loves.

The fact is there are gorgeous dresses at every price point and brides who decide not to bankrupt their marriage for sake of a dress are probably making a good decision.  That should be celebrated and the British show does that.  I'm fine with folks who have plenty of money and want to spend it on a dress, but the US show shouldn't denigrate those who don't.

I'll never forget the US version when a year or so ago, a bride said $2000 was her max.  Randy (away from the bride, thankfully) essentially said he had no idea how he'd find her a decent dress if that's all she had to spend.  It was very disparaging. 

I understand that Kleinfeld caters to the higher end of the price point spectrum and brides with low budgets need to consider whether that's the best store for them.  But that doesn't mean that you can't find a great dress -- just maybe not at Kleinfeld.

Finally, this is a TV show.  It wouldn't be hard for the US producers to vet brides to ensure they are in the general ballpark in terms of price point so they aren't embarrassed. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

I'll never forget the US version when a year or so ago, a bride said $2000 was her max.  Randy (away from the bride, thankfully) essentially said he had no idea how he'd find her a decent dress if that's all she had to spend.  It was very disparaging. 

Finally, this is a TV show.  It wouldn't be hard for the US producers to vet brides to ensure they are in the general ballpark in terms of price point so they aren't embarrassed. 

In fairness, the bride in the episode you are referencing wanted a huge ballgown with lots of bling. Those dresses cost money because the materials themselves are expensive.

I agree that the English version does have more modest price points but the dresses themselves resemble dresses which are shown in the US show at that price point - e.g. they don't generally have a lot of bling nor are they huge ballgowns nor do they have a lot of intricate construction. 

Don't get me wrong - I think it is insane to spend $10,000 or more on a dress unless one is truly wealthy. But I also think it is insane for non-wealthy people to spend $20,000 or $30,000 on a wedding which is the average amount and I know lots of middle class people who have forked out that amount for their wedding - or more. That kind of money goes a long way in terms of a down payment on a house versus feeding 100 people chicken with a side of overcooked veggies.

• Love 7
On 2/9/2020 at 11:16 PM, princelina said:

Especially since on of the people dumping on the dress was a man in a lavender shorts jumpsuit! 😖

While you are probably right - they see the audition videos and shouldn't pick fat brides if there's nothing for them in the "curated collection" (which leads me to . . .)

Yeah I liked it the first and second time I saw it.  Now it's reminding me of the Pnina heavy satin dress with the really big "jewels" on it that every bride who had $10,000 to spend was buying for a year or two!

Haha I was thinking tonight that his pants are getting gayer every week 😄 

Oh they were horrible and ruined every dress - I'd have like to see her in a long sleeved Kate Middleton type dress.  IMO the first dress with the little bows was the best, but her tats ruined that one too.

I'm just loving the homely British brides - I tend to think "yikes!" when they first appear on my tv but by the end of their session I'm in tears.  Jilly was no exception 😊

I was JUST thinking...remember when we had to look at this dress a million times over. 

Annotation 2020-02-08 141506.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Hideous then, hideous now.

I hated that dress the first time i saw it....the stones look tacky...the dress itself is quite nice, but the embellishment is just not sophisticated or attractive

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

That dress is still better than Piranha's tacky see-through corset numbers that sometimes showed way too much. 

Why any bride thinks those sheer corset gowns are appropriate for a wedding is beyond me. So tacky!

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Why any bride thinks those sheer corset gowns are appropriate for a wedding is beyond me. So tacky!

Those dresses were in the 11K-plus price range too. 

I'd like to know how many of those attention-whore brides are still married.

• Love 2

The blonde opera singer's appointment was interesting.  I respect that they all liked the second dress better, but they complained that the first one was too plain yet the second one was amazing?  To my eyes, they were the same basic dress---strapless, slim fitting with more material around the hips and the back of the skirt. The only differences I could see were minor.  Personally, I thought the first one had a little something extra and was stunning on her. I didn't care for the second one. 

• Love 4

I thought the dress with the bit of lace applique near the hem that Gok chose was the prettiest and most flattering on the British bride. It created such a nice line on her body. She rejected it because lace reminded her of granny's doilies. There wasn't even that much of it. The dress she ended up with was fine, and I hope she enjoys it. 

If I were buying a fancy wedding dress (I never had one), I'd like to have Gok's opinion. I have no sense of what would look good on me and would get overwhelmed quickly. 

• Love 3