Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I came here to see if anybody else was looking for Randy’s mother. I also saw that same woman in the audience but I think that they would have featured her more if that was her. It’s a shame if she was not well enough to travel to her granddaughter’s wedding. The dress that the niece chose was much more flattering to her than the other one. When her mother didn’t notice it was her at first I was hoping that she would not choose that one because everyone would be looking at the dress instead of the bride. However, her dress didn’t fit her at all. It was gapping at the bust and wrinkling around the waist. It looks like she may have lost weight after her fitting because she looked much better at the store. Just nitpicking because she is such a beautiful girl anyway.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:21 PM, Mom x 3 said:

I think Pnina may have pissed some folks off.  I don't know when this article was written, but it mentions that she tried to badmouth a dress that belonged to another designer when the client liked the other dress better.  The link is here.  Scroll down to where it says "Trunk shows can be good or bad."

I know I'm super late with this, but that was published in 2016.

It was around the mid 2010's, when the consultants would gather around and ask the say yes question, Pnina would say "Are you saying yes to MY dress?".  So pretentious and gave me yet another reason to dislike her.  I noticed like 2018 or so, that she was back to saying "...THE dress".  Must have gotten a hand spanking from TLC.

• Love 1
On 2/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, jenifaohjenny said:

Holy shit. Watching current episode with mom who thinks her daughter is “chubby”. I wanted to see what dress she finally choose and found crazy stuff online! First, she is like a E level celebrity in a few movies. Second, they were married last April and are already divorced. She has a FB page talking all about it - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=553457852

Her mother was horrible and I came to comment on that but this is even more interesting!! 

Honestly. I went to high school and worked with Angelica for a brief time. She is an absolute utter nightmare. I'm not surprised at all at how short lived her marriage was and I feel terrible for the guy she trapped into marrying her. Her mother is something else, and the rest of her family is so nice, what a shame. She is vindictive and manipulative and I personally believe the verbal abuse from JJ was provoked and well deserved. Everyone I've every met that had encountered Angelica has had an EXTREMELY difficult time with her.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:12 PM, ItsMeYouGuys said:

Honestly. I went to high school and worked with Angelica for a brief time. She is an absolute utter nightmare. I'm not surprised at all at how short lived her marriage was and I feel terrible for the guy she trapped into marrying her. Her mother is something else, and the rest of her family is so nice, what a shame. She is vindictive and manipulative and I personally believe the verbal abuse from JJ was provoked and well deserved. Everyone I've every met that had encountered Angelica has had an EXTREMELY difficult time with her.

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that domestic violence victims are responsible for provoking their abusers.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I wonder how many couples who got their wedding dresses from Kleinfeld’s (& the Atlanta shop, for that matter) on the show have ended up getting divorced since?

I am guessing higher than the norm. People who feel like being on the teevee is the road to fame and then making absolute idiots of themselves are not the most normal, stable people.  Plus placing the emphasis on "the most important day OF MY LIFE" doesn't seem to help them grasp that this is one single day of their married life. Real life starts after the party and some of the bridezillas are clearly not in touch with the realities and their ups and downs.

That plus the horrible families/friends does not bode well for a long future for most of them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I find it interesting that only Randy, the consultants, & the other employees at Kleinfeld’s seem to be allowed to pull dresses from the racks (or at least they seem to frown on the clients/entourages doing it), but it seems perfectly fine for clients/entourages at Lori’s salon to help pull dresses from the racks (granted, Lori’s salon probably doesn’t stock as many dresses as Kleinfeld’s does).

Change of topic, but I've seen a couple of different articles about how bridal fashion is becoming more conservative.  The pictures showed a lot of dresses with long sleeves.  I wonder if we'll see that on the next season of SYTTD.  I hope so because I'm getting tired of tight dresses showing a lot of skin.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I find it interesting that only Randy, the consultants, & the other employees at Kleinfeld’s seem to be allowed to pull dresses from the racks (or at least they seem to frown on the clients/entourages doing it), but it seems perfectly fine for clients/entourages at Lori’s salon to help pull dresses from the racks (granted, Lori’s salon probably doesn’t stock as many dresses as Kleinfeld’s does).

Well, the Atlanta Store is a whole building. Kleinfeld’s is just a storefront, and I have read that it is a lot smaller than it looks on TV. They have their stock on tightly-packed racks with much of it on the ceilings, and if customers start moving dresses around, they’d be lost forever in the sea of white!

• Love 4
On 7/29/2019 at 8:38 PM, rur said:

This has been a grievance of mine for quite a while, too. Somehow the women are all long-waisted, so the "natural" waist of the dress looks good. Most women have considerably less space between their waistlines  and their bustlines, and a dress with a natural waist cuts them in half and isn't as flattering as the sketch.  In addition, the designer sketches never have women with much more than a scant B-cup, while in reality the most common US woman's cup size is a 34DD. 

Drawing croquis (the model/sketch) is not really done on a realistic body shape. They are always a bit distorted - with super long legs, tiny waist etc. That is just how it is done in the industry. Rarely is a sketch on a regularly proportioned figure, and even then it will be a bit elongated

• Love 2
21 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, Sadie married this month, the pictured dress is the Kleinfeld / ceremony dress, and I think she changed later to one that was a looser bottom for dancing. 

Thanks 🙂 after reading the article I see that my guess was correct.

Beautiful dress but goodness getting married at 20/21? I wish them all the best and hope they can weather the growth and changes that come with age because I couldn't imagine being ready for a serious commitment at that age.

• Love 2

Just watching an episode where a bride with a 6000 budget tried on & loves a 12000 dress pressured by Pnina of course.  No Pnina guests don’t remember the dress, they remember food & booze.  I just shake my head at these clowns.

• Love 2

Yes, I only remember a dress if it is hideously bad or absolutely gorgeous, and even then I don’t remember details other than my reaction.  Something tells me the Prina would have been memorable on the hideous end of the spectrum for me.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 5
On 11/3/2019 at 1:12 AM, ItsMeYouGuys said:

I am not surprised, she seemed a bit high maintenance and demanding which makes me wonder why the guy went as far as to propose to her.  Who has that kind of energy to deal with Angelica let alone that mother long term?

• Love 1
On 12/1/2019 at 2:18 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The $60,000 Pnina was a silver (really shiny like aluminum foil), high-low skirt, and looked  hideous.   

Was that the runway piece no one else had tried on? It was pretty awful for a gown for a real wedding...

• Love 1

Yes, I think it might have been the runway Pnina that no one wanted to buy, until that woman came in and loved it.   

However, I suspect that's not the real story, because runway samples are very small sizes, and altered for the model, so I think that was just a store sample or something.   

On 11/15/2019 at 4:28 AM, rereader2 said:

Well, the Atlanta Store is a whole building. Kleinfeld’s is just a storefront, and I have read that it is a lot smaller than it looks on TV. They have their stock on tightly-packed racks with much of it on the ceilings, and if customers start moving dresses around, they’d be lost forever in the sea of white!

The Atlanta store is multifloored. The actual bridal floor is far smaller than it seems on TV. I was surprised at how small the gown rooms are. The couch area for the runway seemed very small as well...they weren't filming the day I was there, but a bride was on the runway deciding between two gowns...she asked what I thought! I am an opinionated sort, so asked her the time of the ceremony and formality of the venue. Decision was a no brainer after that. She looked fabulous...and it was a gown I'd seen on the show. She was stunning.

• Love 6

I’ve been watching the usual Sunday TLC marathon today. In 1 of the more recent episodes, there was a woman looking for a dress to wear when the couple, who met in New Orleans, eloped to Paris (which was also the couple shown marrying at the end). The woman’s “entourage” insisted she wear something “conservative”—had an issue with 1 gown which (allegedly, I never saw it) had a floral design (in lace) over what 1 member of the “entourage” called the bride’s “nether regions”. So, the bride ended up picking a dress that was sheer in the front middle & exposed her belly button... of course leading her conservative “entourage” to say she couldn’t wear that because you could see her belly button (although they appeared to like the dress except for that). The Kleinfeld consultant working with the bride placated everybody by saying the dress was 1 of those kinds that could have a lining put into it & the bride said yes to the dress.

So... go forward to the end of the show & this couple’s wedding is the 1 they end with. And I can’t figure out what the big deal ever was about how sheer the bride’s dress was or wasn’t, except they were apparently going to say their vows in the public square, so basically anybody could stop & watch. NOBODY from her Kleinfeld “entourage” who objected to various body parts showing through her choice of gowns was there to see whether or not her “nether regions” &/or belly button was/were on display for anyone to see. Except for the camera operator & whomever else was there from TLC, the only people there were the couple & their male wedding planner (though he was also a part of the bride’s Kleinfeld “entourage”—but he also never objected to any parts showing, as I remember, & he also didn’t seem to have been born in France, or anywhere else in Europe, where they have a different, more easygoing, sensibility about nudity than we tend to here in the States.

• Love 1
On 4/30/2014 at 12:06 AM, Rhondinella said:

I'm so tired of every wedding gown being strapless, both on this show and in real life, that I'm tempted to start carrying around sleeves and a stapler, or bolero jackets and forcing them on every bride I see!  Seriously!  What the heck did sleeves ever do to deserve this kind of treatment?

Plus, there are many, many women who should not be wearing strapless gowns.  Like, at all.  Yet all of them do.

Sweetheart neckline with a blingy belt!  EVERY BRIDE on this show from 2013 to 2019.  They all want something different, and (almost) every one gets the sweetheart neckline with a blingy belt.  They. All. Look. The. Same.

• Love 5

Maybe it was what she was wearing, but Dianne looks nearly anorexic.  I hope she's OK.

Beautiful dress but goodness getting married at 20/21? I wish them all the best and hope they can weather the growth and changes that come with age because I couldn't imagine being ready for a serious commitment at that age.

My parents got married at 19/20 and were married for 60 years.  My son and DIL got married when both were 20; they just celebrated their 25th anniversary.  When it's right, it's right.  I think a lot has to do with being willing to work together when the changes come.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, camom said:

Maybe it was what she was wearing, but Dianne looks nearly anorexic.  I hope she's OK.

My parents got married at 19/20 and were married for 60 years.  My son and DIL got married when both were 20; they just celebrated their 25th anniversary.  When it's right, it's right.  I think a lot has to do with being willing to work together when the changes come.

For every success story, there is one of failure.  We could go back and forth for days.  The point is... not everyone is ready for commitment at a young age.

• Love 2

8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Georgia bride and her mother were certainly...enthusiastic.

Haha, I am southern and this was a very good representation of a certain kind of southern woman. 

(some of us cuss a lot and only squeal when we see our sorority sisters from 20 years ago though 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So Randy said SYTTD: America is a brand new series and yet last night seemed like a regular episode-ish with one bride unrelated to the state representation and one bride related to a state.  Will future episodes focus more on the different brides from the different states or will we just focus on a few states' brides and then hold the wedding?

Anyway, my DVR picked it up so it's clearly not a totally separate series.

I did like that the second hour was the British version of SYTTD as opposed to the Canadian version.  It was a little different in how they showed more attempts at customization.  I did feel awful for the extremely thin Asian bride who felt she was fat in the first dress. 

• Love 2

The Chinese bride's mother must be a monster...this poor girl has her mom's voice echoing in her head to the point all she can do is cry with anxiety. And the Georgia bride...geez, I haven't heard screaming like that since the 12yo were screaming over the Beatles.

• Love 5
On 1/5/2020 at 9:15 PM, CrazyMoon said:

The Chinese bride's mother must be a monster...this poor girl has her mom's voice echoing in her head to the point all she can do is cry with anxiety.

I could have smacked her friends, too.  IIRC, the 2nd to last dress she had on was one that she loved (at the time) and her friends, instead of being supportive, shot it down and then said that she had to tune out the negative comments and do what she wanted.  I hated that Beth's friends did the same thing.  She and her mother are weeping for joy and they cut her down.  I do think that both of their final choices were the best ones (I'm so glad the Chinese bride decided on a dress that would make her happy and not her mother), but that doesn't excuse the way their friends handled the situation.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:48 PM, BW Manilowe said:

So... go forward to the end of the show & this couple’s wedding is the 1 they end with. And I can’t figure out what the big deal ever was about how sheer the bride’s dress was or wasn’t, except they were apparently going to say their vows in the public square, so basically anybody could stop & watch. NOBODY from her Kleinfeld “entourage” who objected to various body parts showing through her choice of gowns was there to see whether or not her “nether regions” &/or belly button was/were on display for anyone to see. Except for the camera operator & whomever else was there from TLC, the only people there were the couple & their male wedding planner (though he was also a part of the bride’s Kleinfeld “entourage”—but he also never objected to any parts showing, as I remember, & he also didn’t seem to have been born in France, or anywhere else in Europe, where they have a different, more easygoing, sensibility about nudity than we tend to here in the States.

There was a lot of talk about this at the time the episode aired and the general consensus was it was a stunt to get on the show.  I believe someone here discovered that the bride and groom had a church wedding and reception here in the US before the Paris fakeout.  I believe she wore a different dress for that, though.

Also, in France, weddings are not legal unless they take place at City Hall and are conducted by a government official.  We have no evidence that that actually happened, so the 'Paris wedding' was fictional anyway.  Even if they'd gotten married in a French church by an ordained clergy member, the marriage isn't valid without the government ceremony.  No way that whatever it was they were doing in the street in Paris was in any way an actual wedding.  I think they just wanted to get on TV.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 3:51 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I had to mute the TV as my dogs were panicked by the screeching.  I presume they did that so they would stand out in their application and I guess it worked.  I just hope the other 50 brides didn't use the same technique or glass will be shattering for miles around at the ceremony.

I guess I am just old but there is nothing I would want LESS than a mass marriage ceremony with 50 other couples conducted by a reality TV performer for his show.  It reminds me of Reverend Moon conducting mass weddings for the Unification Church back in the '80's.  Nothing about it sounds enticing to me.

• Love 16
On 1/5/2020 at 3:51 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I live in Augusta, Georgia and cringed with embarrassment over their actions. I assure you, most of us southern ladies behave with a bit more grace.

I wanted to smack that Chinese bride and tell her to stop crying and grow up. Frankly, I thought she was too immature to be getting married.

• Love 1
On 1/7/2020 at 9:52 AM, doodlebug said:

I guess I am just old but there is nothing I would want LESS than a mass marriage ceremony with 50 other couples conducted by a reality TV performer for his show.  It reminds me of Reverend Moon conducting mass weddings for the Unification Church back in the '80's.  Nothing about it sounds enticing to me.

Me too.

I watched this after a rerun of Randy's niece's wedding.  Which was small, intimate, and family-oriented.  It looked lovely.  It was the exact opposite of what they are promoting with the 50 brides mass ceremony.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Love2dance said:

So, at the mass wedding with fifty brides each couple will be able to invite about ten people each to the reception? I don’t understand the logistics of this at all.

I'm confused as well. Was anything mentioned about a reception? Or is it just the marriage ceremony en masse?

I just don't understand the appeal of sharing one's "special day" with fifty other couples, even if you get a free dress and accessories from Kleinfeld. You're foregoing everything else that makes a wedding special.

About the gowns: when Randy said the brides could choose from a "specially curated collection" I wondered if the brides were being offered gowns that had been ordered and then not picked up/paid for.

From past seasons we know brides have to put down a deposit equal to 50% of the cost of the gown. If they change their mind or their wedding is cancelled they can either pay the remaining balance (and hopefully wear the gown in the future, try to sell it, or whatever) OR lose their deposit and Kleinfeld keeps the gown. Since wedding gowns have probably a 100% markup anyway Kleinfeld wouldn't be losing anything by giving those gowns away. 

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I just don't understand the appeal of sharing one's "special day" with fifty other couples, even if you get a free dress and accessories from Kleinfeld. You're foregoing everything else that makes a wedding special.

You get a dress for free.  A free trip.  And the experience of being a part of something unique that you can show your descendants in the future.

This wedding doesn't prevent a bride and groom from having another wedding at home in front of their loved ones-- probably before it even airs so the dress will be a secret.  They can also have a reception. There will be some who don't like that it's not the first time they're saying their vows but whatever.  Let them not like it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 1/8/2020 at 6:21 PM, Irlandesa said:

<snip>

This wedding doesn't prevent a bride and groom from having another wedding at home in front of their loved ones-- probably before it even airs so the dress will be a secret.  They can also have a reception. <snip>

Yes...my daughter and I discussed their having their real wedding and reception prior to the airing of the final episode as we were watching.

Unless their contract forbids them from doing that, of course, because of the possibility of publicity which would destroy the illusion this is their one and only wedding, courtesy of Kleinfeld and TLC? 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Corrected "contact" to read "contract"
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I am absurdly loving SYTTD “England” (presumably called that to differentiate from the U.K. version and because Americans would be confused by SYTTD Lancaster). Anyway, insecure Chinese bride aside, I initially thought Gox was nuts showing brides something completely opposite from what they want but I got sucked in to watching episodes on YouTube and he has grown on me exponentially. I defy anyone to watch the episode with the red-headed blind bride and not cry ( not a spoiler because that’s how she is introduced). I am hoping that they continue to show more episodes.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I defy anyone to watch the episode with the red-headed blind bride and not cry ( not a spoiler because that’s how she is introduced). I am hoping that they continue to show more episodes.

Thanks for the heads up, @Psychobunny!  I'm a total sucker for a feel-good cry ; ), and you were spot on about that episode.

One of the sweetest moments I've ever seen on SYTTD was season before last, bride was named Teddi, and her daddy had recently had a lung/kidney transplant (same episode as the rocker bride with purple hair).  Her wedding was the one shown at the end of the episode, and when her daddy walks in the room to see her for the first time in her wedding dress....  I get tears.  Every singe time I watch that scene. Which I might have done 2 or 3 (or 20) times.  😉

• Love 2

Gok Wan was the host of "How to Look Good Naked" and a bunch of other fashion/makeover/body positivity shows that made their from the UK to Canadian TV.  He is great!  I read some not so great things about him, but I choose to ignore them because is a great host.  I love the SYTTD UK with him on it.  I wasn't in love with the previous version.  Go, Gok!

• Love 2

So, watched a rerun this afternoon. The reserved Italian gal with the completely toxic family, particularly her nasty cousin who said no one wanted to see the bride's face, said it was her wedding and not the bride/grooms, and called her cousin dowdy. She was nasty personified.  Someone please tell me it was staged, or the poor gal eloped!

I'm liking the England version much better than the one with the designer whose claim to fame is Diana's dress. One of the most hideous, overworked bridal gowns ever made. Vegas-bound bride asked for a 50s gown and darned if he didn't show her exactly that. PS-when your wedding will be at a chapel and the only witnesses are paid for, no one will care about your gown. I suppose they could parade into the marriage license bureau all dressed up if she really wants to show it off. (But truly, no one will care.)

Lisa-Jo's gown is amazing and perfect for a woodland wedding.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I'm liking the England version much better than the one with the designer whose claim to fame is Diana's dress. One of the most hideous, overworked bridal gowns ever made. Vegas-bound bride asked for a 50s gown and darned if he didn't show her exactly that.

I'm loving the bridal store in England too.  I'd like for them to take a slow tour around the place so that I can see everything!  The fitting rooms seem so big too.

Although I liked the polka dot gown that the Vegas bride tried on,  I really liked the one she picked because it looked more bridal to me.  As Vermicious Knid said, in the end nobody in the chapel is going to care, but I think that the bride looked a little more classy in the dress she chose, whereas the polka dot gown looked a little too whimsical and innocent looking.  She stepped it up a notch with the other dress.  I have nothing against polka dot dresses, but I liked the one she chose just a little better on her.  YMMV!

I liked the gowns that Lisa Jo tried on, but the last one was stunning on her.  Her fiancé said that it made her look powerful, and I agree.  The one before that was beautiful, but again, I found it to be rather innocent looking.  The dress she chose really suited her and it looked really good next to Vicky's gown. 

Edited by ChitChat
typo
  • Love 2