Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Do brides really become so obsessed with certain designers that they squeal like they're at a Backstreet Boys concert when they see them?  Do they really insist that the only dresses they want to try on must be from their favorite?  Chelsea was already a little bit extra with the Disney princess baloney, but the shrieking over Hailey Page and the almighty "Pepper' gown was really over the top.  Maybe its because I've never married, but I have gone dress shopping with a couple of friends/sisters and have never, ever seen any of them behave like the ridiculous brides on this show do.

The bride from Hong Kong, Sheryl, had a delightfully smoky speaking voice.  Her fiancé, Conrad, was not nearly so delightful.  I have discovered that, on this show, anyone who claims to be a 'hopeless romantic' is actually speaking in code.  What he really meant is, 'I am a pretentious show-off who likes to throw money around so people know I am rich.'  The multiple proposals in multiple exotic locales was a dead giveaway.  I really didn't care what dress she picked, I knew it would be overpriced and tacky, so I was kind of surprised when it was fairly inexpensive for Kleinfeld's, though the neckline cut to the waist was certainly tacky, IMO.

I really didn't care about Randy staging a fashion show in Barcelona, either.  I don't watch this show for that.

While I was watching the episode, I was trying to remember if I even knew who the designer of my wedding dress was. I went to a fancy pants salon here but I went in with a photo of the one I was interested in, tried it on, tried three others, and put down my deposit on the one I originally liked. Done, with no squealing.

Hong Kong fiancé gave me a controlling vibe. Planning a proposal a year in advance? Good grief.

I agree the Randy stuff from this season should be compressed into one special devoted to it so those of us who don't so much give a crap about it can skip it. Probably why they didn't do it that way...

7 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

AGAIN the lost-dress storyline.  TWICE.  Oh dear, where oh where could it be, whatever shall we do?  Apparently these Hayley dresses move around on their own.  Kleinfeld has no system of tracking the location of their thousands(?) of designer gowns?  They don’t go into a computer to mark that Peppa went to the repair shop?  

I thought the same thing. A store this size surely has an inventory control system.

No supposedly grown woman should be obsessing about being a princess.

The show that sounds ridiculous to me is the one with designers making wedding gowns out of toilet paper. Say what?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I agree the Randy stuff from this season should be compressed into one special devoted to it so those of us who don't so much give a crap about it can skip it. Probably why they didn't do it that way....

I had the episode on DVR and fast forwarded through the Randy fashion show stuff.  I like Randy well enough, I just wasn't interested in watching runway models in his gowns.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

I had the episode on DVR and fast forwarded through the Randy fashion show stuff.  I like Randy well enough, I just wasn't interested in watching runway models in his gowns.

I feel like I've seen his runway show about a dozen times already this season.  I am far more interested in seeing real people with real bodies wearing his dresses.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I like Randy well enough, I just wasn't interested in watching runway models in his gowns.

And why the hell did he have his dog with him?  And who took care of the dog while he was tending to the models, etc.?  IDK I love dogs but I wish people would leave them at home.

• Love 9

My DVR recorderded two new episodes instead of the Northern Edition. There was a bride in the second episode that worked with Shsy. I think he’s really good at making brides feel good about himself so my opinion of him has changed. I’m now a fan. I liked the bride who dreamed of a Hayley Paige dress but didn’t love it when she tried it on. What a refreshing and NORMAL response!!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

And why the hell did he have his dog with him?  And who took care of the dog while he was tending to the models, etc.?  IDK I love dogs but I wish people would leave them at home.

On my morning walk, I pass an upscale bridal salon.  We always stop to admire the window displays, and peer in to get a glimpse of the racks of gorgeous gowns inside.  Recently, we saw some unusual movement inside - it was a dog, digging at and chewing on the bottoms of a rack of dresses.  Concerned, I rapped on the window, hoping to get it to stop.  A young woman came and unlocked the door.  When I told her what I had just seen, she seemed surprised by my concerns and said, "Oh yes, I hid his ball there."

• Love 2
16 hours ago, NannyBails said:

So how old is Chelsea?  In her 20s?   Hayley Paige doesn’t look old enough to have been designing dresses all of Chelsea’s life.

Hayley is 32, so, I guess she is including drawing pictures of brides as a kid.  Otherwise, no, she hasn't been a dress designer all the bride's life.

I hate it when grown women wear silly hats indoors.  Hayley needs to stop doing that, it doesn't flatter her at all.  I do like her dresses for the most part, though.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I hate it when grown women wear silly hats indoors.  Hayley needs to stop doing that, it doesn't flatter her at all.  I do like her dresses for the most part, though.

Agreed. I think she's trying to look young & hip...she's past that...Dress your age, you can still be Boho Chic...

19 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Hayley is 32, so, I guess she is including drawing pictures of brides as a kid.  Otherwise, no, she hasn't been a dress designer all the bride's life.

Her hat wearing wouldn't be as bad if she would just wear it correctly instead of perched on the back of her head.

• Love 1
On 9/7/2019 at 9:59 PM, magemaud said:

They divorced last year and she began dating Conrad who is a fitness model. Since the episode was filmed, Hailey and Conrad have gotten engaged. I wonder if she's going to design MORE dresses for her next wedding. 

Well now, that makes Hayley’s new quads make sense! I noticed that she had some seriously developed thighs that I didn’t recall from previous seasons.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

OMG, Hayley Paige on every episode this season, enough already, there are so many other designers out there.

Going back a few episodes, the girl who had to have a jumpsuit and Hayley had to design one for her, why didn't they just show her this one, its low priced, beautiful, and I love that bonus skirt you can get for the ceremony...

https://www.kleinfeldbridal.com/product/madison-james-fully-lace-open-back-jumpsuit-mj500/

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

This is really cute. Lucie, from Refinery29, is a Kleinfeld consultant for a day - featuring our "favorite" (cough, cough) consultant, Shay:

I think this shows that all of Shea’s drama was fabricated. I bought my wedding dress many moons ago but i would have LOVED to have Shea as my consultant. I used to work at a retail store that found that in women’s depts that targeted a younger customer, gay sales staff made significantly more commission than women. Proof that everyone wants a really fun and positive man in their life!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

This is really cute. Lucie, from Refinery29, is a Kleinfeld consultant for a day - featuring our "favorite" (cough, cough) consultant, Shay:

Thanks so much for posting this!  I love these behind-the-scenes kinds of video.  I think I would love being a bridal consultant (if I had any fashion sense!)  It would be great to see these beautiful dresses up close and get to meet some of the designers.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, AZ Curls said:

OMG, Hayley Paige on every episode this season, enough already, there are so many other designers out there.

Going back a few episodes, the girl who had to have a jumpsuit and Hayley had to design one for her, why didn't they just show her this one, its low priced, beautiful, and I love that bonus skirt you can get for the ceremony...

https://www.kleinfeldbridal.com/product/madison-james-fully-lace-open-back-jumpsuit-mj500/

I think you answered your own question - it's gotta be all about Hayley Paige.

Madison James designs are great - and affordable.  My daughter chose this lovely gown after seeing it online and tracking it down to a local salon.

Since her wedding, we have seen the gown on a few episodes of SYTTD - none of the brides chose it...

6D782B64-A9EA-4430-98DE-E86620436C90.jpeg

• Love 8
19 hours ago, AZ Curls said:

Because Hayley Paige is in place of Pnina, and getting a cut of the profits while doing so. 

Remember how they constantly pushed Pnina dresses and Pnina was always front and center to magically make a bride's dress dream come true and every bride came in wanting a Pnina tornai dress. 

I guess either pnina didn't want to up her contract anymore or she got too big to be on the show any longer so now they have Hayley Paige who's getting the kleinfeld/say Yes to the dress boost. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Huh, I just realized the narrator is gone. I kind of liked having each bride’s experience summed up: “Katarina went against her wildest goth dreams in a hot pink Pnina Tornai for $65,000.”

Sadness. The switch to self-narrated was so subtle that he’s probably been gone a couple of seasons and I just now noticed.

Tracey’s shit-stirring mom looked a lot like Cicely Tyson 🙂

Awwww that hug that Randy gave his brother was adorable!

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, GrannySmith said:

Did anybody see Randy’s mother at his niece’s wedding?  I was looking for her. 

Just rewatched and paused during crowd shots; I did not see her. Hope she is in good health but she is in her mid-late 90s now isn’t she? That may have been a tough trip/venue for her.

30 minutes ago, GrannySmith said:

Did anybody see Randy’s mother at his niece’s wedding?  I was looking for her. 

Had the same thought when she wasn't featured but she appears to be alive and looking great as per Randy's twitter

• Love 4
6 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Madison James designs are great - and affordable.  My daughter chose this lovely gown after seeing it online and tracking it down to a local salon.

Your daughter and that dress are stunning!  I love the illusion necklines with the beading.  

4 minutes ago, maggiegil said:

Had the same thought when she wasn't featured but she appears to be alive and looking great as per Randy's twitter

That's good to know.  I was worried that something had happened to her.  His family is quite lovely, and what a beautiful setting for a wedding!  

All that drama over a black dress was so unnecessary.  I wasn't too crazy about the dress she ended up with, but I liked it better than the black dress. YMMV.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

All that drama over a black dress was so unnecessary.  I wasn't too crazy about the dress she ended up with, but I liked it better than the black dress. YMMV.

I never understand why people who are looking for a black or colourful (non pastel) dress go to Kleinfelds, theres loads of choice if you want white, cream, ivory etc. but all they could pull was 2 black dresses, if I wanted black I'd go somewhere that sold amazing evening dresses and save a packet on what Kleinfeld charge.

• Love 8

That was the nicest episode yet for me. It was nice seeing Randy and his family. Didn't see his mother in any footage of the wedding but she sure is beautiful at 96.

It did bother me the angle they edited with the black dress bride and I didn't really like the white dress but that tiara really made the difference. I don't think I've ever seen one that high in any episode and she really did look lovely.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I never understand why people who are looking for a black or colourful (non pastel) dress go to Kleinfelds, theres loads of choice if you want white, cream, ivory etc. but all they could pull was 2 black dresses, if I wanted black I'd go somewhere that sold amazing evening dresses and save a packet on what Kleinfeld charge.

Because they aren’t looking for a black dress. They are looking for an angle so they can be picked for the show. 

There have been a few episodes where a bride was looking for a black dress and not a single one said yes to a black dress. The closest it cake was a woman who had her dress trimmed with black and it actually looked quite elegant. Invariably the all decide they want to look traditional  and say yes to a white dress. 

There have been occasional brides who want a colorful dress. I think one got colorful tulle petticoats suggested by Vera and they were pretty and there was a bride who got a really lovely floral dress several years ago. 

I liked the dress the woman wound up with and I do think it was regal as it was more what the European royals seem to be marrying in with long sleeves and not particularly a lot of cleavage. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

Honestly, would it kill these girls to wear shoes when they come out of the dressing room?  

That and they hoist the dress up just a little to high when they are walking in to the showroom!

So many times the family member actually selects "the" dress, does the consultant get credit for that?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cameron said:

Did like Randy's niece but yet another bride who wanted to look sexy.  Cannot understand the constant appeal to look sexy.

Those awful stipper fairy dresses...my father would have had a stroke if he had to walk me down the aisle in one of those. 

I get that they want to look a little sexy or desirable but i would imagine those wedding pictures a few years down the road would be cringeworthy.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, amarante said:

Because they aren’t looking for a black dress. They are looking for an angle so they can be picked for the show. 

That's a good point!  The bride buried her head on Randy's shoulder while she "fake cried" (not a tear in sight) about her mother calling her fiancée.   I don't care for the fake drama on this show.  Just show me the beautiful gowns and brides with entourages with reasonable expectations. 

I wonder what the consultants who are featured on the show earn by being on the show (aside from their usual commissions.)  

I liked both of Randy's dresses on his niece.  That was a tough decision.   

• Love 4
4 hours ago, cameron said:

Did like Randy's niece but yet another bride who wanted to look sexy.  Cannot understand the constant appeal to look sexy.

I think it's the notion that the wedding day is supposed to be the bride's most beautiful day combined with the modern day notion of equating beauty with sexy.

I don't get see thru being sexy tho.  Tight?  Sure.  Low backs (hell, even fronts) but I don't think there's anything sexy in see-thru.  I don't even think it's sexy in lingerie.   I'd rather see brides in two pieces than having ugly mesh.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, camom said:

I was also looking for Randy's mom and thought I saw her sitting in one of the few chairs.  I'm too lazy to look again.

I bet you saw the same lady I saw.  I thought it was his mom, too.

His niece certainly resembles him - she seemed like a sweet person.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, KATBOW said:

It looked like Randy's niece had her dress lined with a lightweight fabric at the wedding.  I thought it looked beautiful on her.

I thought I noticed that as well.

I loathe the see-through midriff styles. To me, that's a slutty look and inappropriate for any church wedding.

• Love 4
On 9/15/2019 at 1:38 PM, silversage said:

It did bother me the angle they edited with the black dress bride and I didn't really like the white dress but that tiara really made the difference. I don't think I've ever seen one that high in any episode and she really did look lovely.

I agree.  Initially, I didn't like the dress.  But it was one of the few instances where I felt the headpiece made all the difference.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I thought I noticed that as well.

I loathe the see-through midriff styles. To me, that's a slutty look and inappropriate for any church wedding.

It’s not only inappropriate, it’s unattractive and unflattering.  The sheer fabric draws attention to the bride’s midsection instead of her face.  The idea is for the dress to call attention to the bride, not vice versa.

• Love 10
On 9/16/2019 at 9:57 PM, doodlebug said:

It’s not only inappropriate, it’s unattractive and unflattering.  The sheer fabric draws attention to the bride’s midsection instead of her face.  The idea is for the dress to call attention to the bride, not vice versa.

Yes! The reaction every bride should want is "You look beautiful" --- NOT "what a beautiful dress!"

• Love 8
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, CruiseDiva said:

Or any wedding. I don't get it. In my opinion a wedding dress should be elegant and classy. You can be sexy or slutty on your honeymoon night.

I stopped watching this show years ago because I got tired of the dresses all looking the same. I'm so over the strapless gown or mermaid look. It seems like most of the women wanting the strapless have huge tatas and they look like they are ready to spill out. The mermaid dress IMO is for tall thin women but looks really uncomfortable to walk or sit in.

I did catch an episode not long ago, so Randy is designing dresses now?

I've always wondered how the episodes are filmed, are camera operators in the dressing rooms when women are changing? Also, I wouldn't be comfortable with a male dressing me gay or not because most of the dresses you take your bra off.    

One episode I saw a grandmother brought her wedding dress to the shop so her granddaughter could try it on. Have her try it on at home doesn't she own a mirror. Of course the granddaughter didn't want to wear the dress but grandma wanted her to put it on. Dumb.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I did catch an episode not long ago, so Randy is designing dresses now?

Yes, he has put out two collections now, IIRC. He also was a bridal designer before he started working at Kleinfeld's--that's why they hired him, they wanted someone with the designer's eye helping the consultants.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, rereader2 said:

Yes, he has put out two collections now, IIRC. He also was a bridal designer before he started working at Kleinfeld's--that's why they hired him, they wanted someone with the designer's eye helping the consultants.

Thank you rereader2 :-) I had no idea, I thought he was just there to assist the consultants, he's been in the bridal business for a long time. 

• Love 1
On 9/20/2019 at 12:43 AM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I've always wondered how the episodes are filmed, are camera operators in the dressing rooms when women are changing? Also, I wouldn't be comfortable with a male dressing me gay or not because most of the dresses you take your bra off.    

The camera operators are in the fitting room but they have female camera operators https://www.thelist.com/18636/untold-truth-say-yes-dress/

• Useful 5
  • Love 1